Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mama Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. We pay our respects to elders past, present and emerging, and feel privileged to continue the sharing of birth stories and knowledge that has been a fundamental part of Indigenous culture.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 1: I'm Cassanya Lukisch and this is diary of a birth. There's an old adage that a woman forgets the pain and trauma of birth so that we continue to have them. It's nature at work. I've looked back at my own births and gone, oh, it wasn't that bad. But let's be real, it's hard work, and so often a woman's mental health in subsequent pregnancies is overlooked. Today's mum was riddled with anxiety when she felt pregnant for a second time with Irish twins no less, and while she delivered to perfectly healthy baby, that was something that played on her mind.
Speaker 4: I became quite terrified of giving birth during that second pregnancy. It was like I knew it was coming and I kind of had these, you know, little flashbacks of what it was like with Noah, with.
Speaker 1: A curve spine, making an epertural more challenging. She was adamant on being prepared, but her little one was eager to meet her coming into the world with a single push, a truly express checkout. So let's meet today's mum.
Speaker 4: Hi, my name's Nicolina and this is the diary of my birth with Leo.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, Nikki, you had your two babies very close together. How far apart were they?
Speaker 4: They ended up being sixteen months apart upon birth, so very close.
Speaker 1: So what was life like when you fell pregnant with Leo.
Speaker 4: It was challenging in the sense of I had no time to do the things that I really leaned into with my first pregnancy, like the excuse to have a nap or to lay down or to work from home. Because I was a bit too tired to hop on the train and I was super pregnant. I just had to go go go with Leo. So I didn't really think about the pregnancy a lot. I didn't really have time to even, you know, grasp if I was feeling sick or anything, which I think maybe was a good thing because I kind of skipped any of the bad symptoms. I did have a really cruisy pregnancy, apart from a bit of pelvic pain. I remember that was a bit of an issue towards the end. But it's not like I had time to exercise anyway because I had a toddlers so that wasn't a problem. So I feel like I cruised through in the sense of I wasn't thinking or overthinking the pregnancy too much. But it was really tricky in terms of exhaustion, in terms of having to pick Norah up still. You know, I had to pick him up still. He actually wasn't war until a month before Leo was born, and that was tricky.
Speaker 1: The other thing is as well, you're not like checking the app every five seconds, being like it's the size of a banana, it's the size of a melon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had no idea what fruit size Leo was at any point. Of course, went to all the appropriate checkups. But yet true second child in that he didn't get too much attention in terms of any physical aspect of the pregnancy. I just kept growing bigger and bigger. Things got harder and harder when it came to Noah, And yeah, we got to the end.
Speaker 1: Some of the complications that you found with your first pregnancy You've got a curve in your spine, how did that affect your I guess anxiety or stresses around giving birth to number two.
Speaker 4: So when I was pregnant with Noah, I was very kind of blase about the birth. I think it was because when you first for p you actually have no idea what birth will be like. You have an idea in terms of like people say it's painful, but what does that mean? You have never felt that pain. So I was very thankful for the oblivion I was living in. So then when I got pregnant with Leo and I realized that birth was coming, and I knew much more about birth. I knew what a contraction felt like, I knew how scary it was to wait for each one and not know when they were coming, and also you know, try and figure out if I was in labor. I knew all of it. I became quite terrified of giving birth during that second pregnancy. It was like I knew it was coming and I kind of had these, you know, little flashbacks of what it was like with Noah. And then on the other side of it was as well with Noah. Whilst you know, I'm really grateful I had a pretty, i want to say, cruizy enough birth. With Noah. I didn't have any major complications. It was a natural birth. I didn't go into an emergency C section or anything like that. One part of the birth was the tricky part of my epidural. I went into Noah's birth with no birth plan. I'm a no birth plan kind of person. My only plan is that I want the epidural, and I made that very clear to my midwife throughout the whole thing. I think I reminded her like six seven times every appointment. So I went in for my epidural. I remember sitting on the side of the bed and the doctor started doing his thing, and it kind of went a bit silent, and he goes, hmmm, I'm going to have to call someone in. I thought that was really weird. Why why can't you just do it yourself? And somebody else came in wheeling in an ultrasound machine, which was weird, and I knew it was an ultrasund machine because I had ultrasounds done. And he said that I had a curved spine and that it was getting quite tricky to find the point at which they need to put the needle into the spine.
Speaker 1: Did you know that you had a curved spine before this?
Speaker 4: I had no idea that my spine was curved. Is that a thing? That's what I said to the doctor. I said, what's that? Why is that an issue? And he just said, it's you know, it's just slightly curved to a particular side. It's not an issue. But obviously it makes a trickier to get this needle in. So that was a real big surprise at the time. Luckily the ultrasound machine helped. Took a little bit longer, but we got the epidural in and I didn't have any issues from then on. But knowing that, when I fell pregnant with Leo and went into my second midwife appointment for his birth, I was very clear with her. I said, I had this thing with my spine in my first berth. I really don't want it to happen again. Can we flag that now with the doctors, with whoever needs to know? And I actually ended up having an appointment one on one with the anethethist and you know, had a really good one on one chat and they spoke to me about you know, they're very well prepared. They have my scans and it'll all be fine. But that was also terrifying because I thought, what if I other issue comes up with the epidural.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you've got that in the back of your head. You're having a pretty good pregnancy generally though, like any other issues throughout your pregnancy.
Speaker 4: No, I think it all came down to, you know, that pelvic pain at the end. It was in bed for quite a bit of the last few weeks when I could obviously toddler running around was limited, but I was Whilst physically fine, I was quite terrified. So the countdown started to become like very obvious that last month that birth was coming, which meant contractions are coming, which meant labour's coming. I just knew that was coming, and that was getting quite overwhelming, and I was getting quite anxious about that and when it would happen. Because the other part of it is Noah was induced, so I also didn't know what it was like to naturally go into labor, and I was also really afraid of that.
Speaker 1: So a lot of anxiety around that. Did you have any sort of help from anyone to kind of help with that anxiety?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I ended up BacT going to therapy. During my second pregnancy, I saw a therapist for you know, an array of things, and that was not just about the birth, but also about I had developed postnatal blues with Noah, and that was something that I was also fearful of that would come back or spring back on me when Leo was born. But part of those therapy sessions were talking through that anxiety around birth approaching and you know, there's only so much you can do about that. You know, people say, you know, when you get pregnant, well, they've got to come out some way. So I knew he had to come out, but I tried to, you know, be super positive about it. I tried to remind myself that I had a pretty positive first birth, that things would be okay, that I was taking the precautions, I was speaking to the doctors about my concerns, and I was just kind of hoping for the best by the end of it.
Speaker 1: Did you have a plan with Leo? Was there a birth plan for him?
Speaker 4: So my birth plan was very much the same in I was happy to try going to natural labor. I understood that the first time I needed to be induced, but I did want to. I don't want to say avoid that the second time around, but I think just you know, the less intervention possible, the better. So that was a goal of mine. I would say, but I'm happy to leave it to the doctors. I know their professionals. I know it was a really good hospital. But again, my major reminder for my midwife was that I wanted that epidural ready to go. It's funny about epidurals because I think I admire so many of my friends who have gone into natural labor, not used any pain medication or any help in that sense. But I'm very much of the thinking of if I have a headache, I take a pat at all, Like I'm not sitting through that headache.
Speaker 1: I'm so with you, Nicky, I'm so with you.
Speaker 4: So in my mind, for me, it did not make sense not to get an epidural. I was all for it. I was like, have that ready to go, And to the point at which I remember when I went into the label with Leo, I was kind of walking down the hallway and I was like, yeah, telling it at my midwife, like I'm here and I'm ready for the epidural. I'm ready for the epidural. You were fixator.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay. So you get towards the end of your pregnancy with Leo, You've got this anxiety of what's going to happen this time around? Did you go into labor naturally with him?
Speaker 4: So? I did go into labor naturally with Leo, and it was a super casual. Monday, I was at home with Noah. It was my one day at home with him during the week because I was working at a time, and I had plans with friends. I had brunch plans, and I was not canceling my brunch plans because you know, as a mum, you just get no time to see your friends. So I'd made these plans and I thought, I'm definitely going to brunch today. But my contractions very you know, low level contractors started in the morning, probably about an hour before brunch.
Speaker 1: How far along were you? Where were you at?
Speaker 4: I was at about thirty eight weeks with Leo. Okay, yeah, brunches on, I'm not care And my midwife said the same thing, Go to brunch, go for a walk. It was down the road. You'll be fine. It's low level contractions. They're very far apart, and give me a call, you know, once you finished. So I did. I actually walked. I pushed the pram with not wanting it to brunch. I told my friends, who none of them had kids at the time, so they were petrified the whole lunch. They were just watching for my water to break like in the movies. I had to remind them that that's not actually that common. But we had brunch. I had a great meal, and then I walked back and that's kind of when things started to ramp up when I had gotten home. So I called my husband, he had come home from work, just to you know, be safe. But again, my midwife was super chill, so she just said, it's going to take a really long time. You know, you haven't done it naturally yet. This is what happens. It takes a while. You need to stay home for as long as possible and keep comfortable. You know. I love being in the hospital because I like to know that there's help around me. So that was also hard for me because I was quite anxious. But you know, midwives know what they're talking about. So I thought, I'll just stay at home. And you know, it is more comfortable to lay in bed than it is to sit on a chair or you know, walk around a maternity ward feeling contractions, so I did stay home. I watched a bit of Kardashians. I got a couple of episodes in, and then it was pretty much go time. I could feel it quite a bit at that time, and I was very calm by that point. My anxiety didn't really peek through too much. But when it started to get quite painful, I then started to get quite anxious being at home and not being at the hospital and not having my epidural, and you know, just knowing that there was a lot to come. Still there was still getting to the hospital. They were still getting into the room, you know, ordering an epidural, getting checked, how many centemonies are you dilated? Again? This was that anxiety of knowing what went down and knowing that that's about to come, and that's really daunting. So I started to feel that and I just wanted to get to the hospital. At that point.
Speaker 1: It sounds like the anxiety of knowing what it was like last time really like overtook you, which is so normal with so many women. You know, we obviously have a lot of fear around the first time that we give birth, but if you have something that not necessarily goes wrong the first time, it kind of lingers if you've got to go do it all again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I remember my husband. I said to him, I'm just like, I'm really scared. I said, I'm really scared. I know these contractions are going to get worse, and you know, being really nice and trying to be really supportive, he said, but it'll be fine, Like you've done it before, so you can do it again. And I just turned to him and I said, so, if you broke your leg, would you do it again? You know, would you do it again?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: Okay, but I didn't have a choice. But I have, I've felt pain, and I know that pain's coming back around.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So he got a bit of a grilling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no one that you hate more than your partner when you're in labor.
Speaker 4: I despise.
Speaker 1: So when did you decide to go into the hospital.
Speaker 4: So it had probably been about two or three hours since I had gone to brunch, so a couple of hours. I still thought I probably was going in a little bit early. But again something in me. I was really anxious. I was uncomfortable at home. It was getting more painful. Again. I hadn't experienced a natural labor yet, So whilst my midwife was telling me to time out these contractions, I thought, am I even doing this right? Am I timing it right? What if it's quicker than I'm timing it? What if it's worse? What if it's coming really soon? I think, looking back now, that was my body saying you need to get to the hospital. Because I didn't realize how quickly it was about to happen after that. So yeah, I said to my husband, let's just get to the hospital. They're not going to kick me out, even though my midwife said stay home. And so yeah, we got into the car. In the car is when things really like ramped up. I was screaming out of that car. We had timed it. It was that twelve minute drive or whatever it was, but it felt like a year in that car. I felt like I was on some sort of a road trip. I just kept saying, like, just get to this hospital. Looking back now, a bad idea, but don't worry about the red light speed through there. Get me to this hospital. I was not just in like immense pain, Like those contractions were at a level that I hadn't felt before because I was obviously further along than I had gotten with Noah without an epidural. But I was also getting really scared because I was in a car, and you know, you hear those stories about people having babies in cars, so you're like, I don't want to be the person having a baby on the side of the road. Get me to this hospital. So I was really scared, and I was in a lot of pain.
Speaker 1: So you get to the hospital. Obviously the baby didn't come in the car. They check you in, you're in the room, and you are immediately like, get me that epidural.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So when I got to the hospital, and this would have been maybe I'm talking like an hour so between we parked the car, my husband slowly gets me up to lift up to the hallway. As I'm in the hallway, I'm stopping every three steps for a contraction, Like I'm in a lot of pain. I'm thinking, oh my gosh, this is really ramping up. This is really ramping up. I can't even walk. But again, nobody around me was very alarmed, Like the midwives even were like, oh, yeah, you're fine, Like they were timing it, and it didn't seem like it was too frequent. In their minds, and you know, I had just gotten there. They had already been informed by my midwife that I was coming, so they knew the background of it. Had only been three or four hours. But as I was walking through the hallway and the midwife met me in the hallway, I remember yelling at her again, feel so bad about this later and you know, she was very sweet about it, and they probably get this all the time, but you know, saying, I really want my EPI dural, I really want my API dural, and that's all I said. I didn't even introduce myself because this midwife wasn't my midwife. My midwife wasn't another berth that night. I didn't even introduce myself, which I felt really bad, but I just said, all I want is my EPI durol. I'm really scared right now. I can't handle this pain. Can you order it? Very nice midwives. I don't know how they do their job and get through all of that, but you know, she said, it's fine, I'm ordering it right now. So I sat down, got in my gown, and within maybe ten minutes they were in there, ready to go, ultrasound machine and everything. They were super prepared for my curved spine.
Speaker 1: But they go to do your epidural with your curve spine, they're all prepared. You're in agony. But there was a little bit of a problem.
Speaker 4: It was really weird because when I sat for my epidural, and again this is like flashback to your first birth right, I kind of knew how I had to sit. You know, people don't tell you that when you're sitting for an epi driel. You have to do super steel. You have to sit on the side of the bed, you have to like have a really straight back. There's a lot of rules. There's a lot of rules for it to go right, and you have to tell them if a contraction's coming so that they don't do it in that moment. There's a lot of formalities about the epi durol, and something about me sitting was really weird, Like I was very uncomfortable my bottom area, like you know, where it all happens. But I didn't really think anything of it because I just thought, let's just get this epidurol in, you know, that was like my aim. They just said, yep, let's do the EPI drool. You'll be fine. So I didn't really say anything. Little did I know that was Leo dropped kind of waiting in that area, not out, but very nearly out.
Speaker 1: So they didn't even have a chance to sort of check you.
Speaker 4: Well, they checked me when I just got to the hospital, and I hadn't been that dilated, so I think at that point I was about five centimeters.
Speaker 1: That's still pretty significant.
Speaker 4: Yes, And I remember the rule was with no at least. What I was told was that they try and get you to more than four centimeters for you to get an epidool because then it can slow things down, so they want you above four. So I was like, great, five epidurol back on that. So I ticked that box. So within that thirty to forty minutes, Leo had just gone, well, actually no, I want ten centimeters. And yeah, he was there. He was basically ready. I wasn't because I hadn't you know, even laid down up. Next, I looked at my husband and he looked at me and he goes, you got to push, push, and all fifteen doctors like, you got to push. He's there now. So I just did this really big push what I thought was a push, and she goes, yep one more and before I even got to the second push bang, he was out.
Speaker 1: Okay, So when did you realize that Leo was about to come out?
Speaker 4: So after the epidural, that was the best part of my first berth, Like, let's be honest, you know that relief that you feel instantly. And something that was really surprising with Noah. I don't know if you had this, was that I was told to have a nap after my epi dural because at the time I was about that just over four centimeters and you know, they had assumed, well, you still got a little while to go. Why don't you have a bit of a rest now that you're out of that pain. So I had laid down with no one had a nap. That was what I was ready to do with Leo. So I get this every draw the doctors leave, I lay down proper, snuggle myself into the bed. Midwife's like, great, I'll be here if you need anything and walks away. Within a couple of minutes, the machine next to me starts buzzing and it was his heart rate. So very quickly it went from this dim lit room, everyone's ready to nap and just you know, wait for a few hours and see what happens to It was like the movies, like fifteen doctors rushing into the room. I was instantly in like panic, you know. The midwife said, his heart rates dropping. My husband pops up from his allocated seat, and that was really scary because it was such a contrast. Everybody was really chill, everybody was ready to wait, and all of a sudden something was going on. So that was the first moment that we realized something was not right.
Speaker 1: All of a sudden, everyone comes in. What's the first thing that the nurses and doctors do when they see that decreased heart rate?
Speaker 4: So the doctor at the time said, I'm gonna need to put my hand in and check what's going on and just check to see where he is. So she puts her hand in and instantly goes, oh, you've got to push, Nicolina, You've got to push now, like yelling at me, like she was like my mom. She goes, you have to push right now. I looked at my husband and he looked at me and he goes, you got to push. Push, and all fifteen doctors like, you've got to push. He's there now. So I just did this really big push. What I thought was a push and she goes yep, one more and before I even got to a second push, bang, he was out. So within I think it was twenty minutes. I was like in my cuddled up bed, ready to take him out with my beautiful epidural in too. Leah was there, he was in my arms, he was crying. There's fifteen doctors in the room.
Speaker 1: So they obviously looked and his head was there. He was crowning and it was just like a matter of a click, and you must be a great pusher.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would like to think it was a really good pusher, I think. And what we had resolved after talking to the midwife is I think that I was sitting on his head in a sense when I was sitting for my epidural. So I think in the moments between I got checked and sat down and got in my gown and sat down for the epidural, he had proper dropped and was ready to go. That's why I was uncomfortable at the time. But you know, like I'm uncomfortable because I'm in labor. I don't know that it's him there, and so when I just laid back down, he was like no, no, no, get back up. You need to get me out of here. This is a story that I don't try and tell too often because it is I'm kind of like the woman people hate because it was one push and he was out, and I don't want to, you know, complain about it, because that, in a sense, you know, was a great relief because I was so anxious and terrified of the birth itself. It was kind of funny that it was over so quickly, but that in itself was really scary because in the moment when I remember all the doctors said you need to push now, it was like I was the only one that could fix that situation. So it was like all writing on me in that moment, and everybody was staring at me to like perform, and that was very scary.
Speaker 1: I absolutely completely understand. It is terrifying in any scenario he comes out in one push. You're obviously in a lot of shock at this point. How did you feel when they put him. I'm assuming they just put him straight onto your chest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they did, but they did have to check his heart rate because liarly he had been in distress because he was ready to go and he wasn't being pushed out. But within a couple of minutes kind of all the doctors had dissipated out of the room because I guess their job was done right. They had come in, they checked the baby's heartwaate, it was fine and the baby was here, So it was again we just went back to that lull really quickly, and that's when we kind of had to come to terms with what had just happened. You know, it's all the things that I remembered. You had to give birth to the placenta and do those little bits and pieces. Luckily, because he had basically slipped out, I had no tearing, which was really nice because I had tearing with Noah. And then, yeah, it was about coming to terms with what had happened. And for a little while there as well, I felt like quite guilty because I thought, well, oh gosh, you know, I just sat on his head and I just I didn't even know he was there. So there was a lot of that. But the midwife was great. She said, you know, it's not up to you to even know that. You couldn't have ever figured that out. Let's just be thankful that it was all fine. And he came out, and he clearly he was just very eager to come at you.
Speaker 1: So Nicholas is obviously like standing there about to take a nap, and then there's a baby there.
Speaker 4: What was his reaction. It's funny because I think men's reactions and feelings in that labor room are sometimes dismissed. You know, you're really angry at them at the time they're not very helpful, or even if they're trying to be helpful, they're not being helpful. So he at the time was very shocked as well, and he felt that helplessness when all the doctors rushed in, So he was like, what's happened, what's happened? You know, that confusion, And then when things kind of come down and we had realized, okay, he's here, Wow, nobody's having a nap. This is our second child. We know, you know that there's no naps from now to the next five years. So that was a bit slightly annoying for the both of us, who thought we were going to get arrest not just from our toddler, but from you know, giving birth for a little while. But at one point I think we just started kind of laughing about it because it was so hilarious that it went down the way it did, And the best part of the moment that it happened was one of the doctors yelling out, wow, that was the quickest berth I have ever seen, and I have been in this industry for twenty years. I felt like there was quite an achievement. Actually, everybody was very stunned.
Speaker 1: So even the doctors were like, this was insanely fast.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The doctors were I think even more surprised because of course they had checked me forty five minutes before that, so there had been this rapid progression of my dilation and LEO coming down into the canal. So they were stunned by the entire thing.
Speaker 1: And how was your recovery? Did you feel okay after it? Were you sort of up and moving around?
Speaker 4: Yeah, recovery was pretty fine. I was very lucky with recovery, especially because I guess he had slipped out so quickly that I didn't need those stitches, and I know during my first pregnancy, man, those stitches were just the weeks after. It was just going to pee is a struggle. Everything's a struggle. Why being's a struggle? Gosh, It's just a struggle. So I was very thankful that I didn't have to deal with those stitches. But so I had only done my strep beat a week before and my results hadn't come back in yet. So within a couple of hours of giving birth and we've all settled in and we've realized he's here, and everybody's calmed down, and we're all laughing about it and we're sending photos to our family, the midwife actually came and said my test results had come back and I was actually positive, which was also a shock. I was negative the first time and I didn't actually know what that meant. So we did have to stay in the hospital a little bit longer than we intended, because when you are positive, you need to have a round of antibiotics and your child also needs to be monitored for longer. Luckily, everything was completely fine, and you don't want to be honest, I wasn't complaining for an extra night in the hospital at home with the newborn baby that was sleeping a lot in those first couple of days when my todd lot was back at home not sleeping, So we stayed a little bit longer. So that kind of also helped with just you know, quietening down, coming to the realization he's here, the birth's done. Everybody is fine.
Speaker 1: You said to me in your email when you wrote to us that what you really wanted people to know is that that fear and anxiety is something that you weren't quite anticipating. So can you tell us a bit about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that everybody in the first birth is very focused on planning. So you know, we do all the classes. We do a birth in class, do the breathing class, we do this and that, and there's a lot of focus put on that, and you kind of get to your birth and whatever birth you have is a different experience. And maybe you didn't even use your birth plan. Maybe you did use your birth plan. There's just a lot of importance put on that and then it kind of just fades away. But a lot of people will have a second child, a lot of people will have a third child. So when I started to be quite scared of birth, I didn't really tell anyone because I thought it was quite embarrassing, because I thought people will think, why is she scared of birth? She's already done it, you know, And a lot of people would say that, oh, you've already done it before. So you could be fine the second time around, but deep down I was proper terrified, Like I was anxious about I've had nightmares about it, about how it would go down, where it would go down, how bad the pain would be again, whether the every dura would work, whether you know, I'd be paralyzed from the every dural because it was so scary getting it and staying still. There's so many elements that you now know about birth that you didn't before. So in the first pregnancy, you're not stressing about those things. All you're stressing about is put together a birth plan and figure out your breathing and just go with the flow and see how it goes, because you don't know how it will go, but you know every element of birth going into your second berth. So that was terrifying for me. So I was very relieved once it was finished. And again I think it was just ironic that it was so quick after. I think it was kind of a way perhaps even that Leo was like, right, I'll make this super easy for your mum, because I know you're really really scared.
Speaker 1: I completely relate to you, and I think that I've heard some incredible stories about women who have this real calm peace, like very relaxed and positive mindsets. But for us anxious people, it can be really, really scary, and I think it's really important to talk about it and to kind of think about the ways that we can combat that. Whether it's in the lead up and obviously you saw a therapist, obviously you had people to talk to, but I do think it's really important to note that just because you've done it once doesn't mean that you're not allowed to be afraid again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And the thing that people tell you is every birth is so different, right, So part of that fear as well was that, well, Noah's birth was, you know, pretty cruisy, and I felt really lucky and I thought it went really well. It was positive. I ended up getting what I wanted in the end in terms of pain medication, and I thought, maybe I'm not going to get that again, because maybe you only get one good birth. So I thought I was out of tokens and I thought, well, this one's not going to go great. And it was definitely different. I thought, well, maybe there will be complications this time around. I didn't have a complication the first time around. I wasn't prepared for how much my mind would run in terms of what could have gone wrong, how you know, bad it was going to hurt this time around, if things would work the same, if things would go differently. That was quite terrifying. But I think the main thing I tried to focus on was getting over the embarrassment first of all, very quickly, and I just started talking about it. I told my husband about it. I told my sister about it, and you know, I told other mums about it, and they said the same thing. So I was like, why isn't anybody talking about this?
Speaker 1: I relate to you very very much.
Speaker 4: You know, we keep everything inside all the time. We just need to talk about how shitty aspects of this is. So they did, and that was very helpful. So, you know, once I started talk about it, once I started to talking my therapist about it, I realized that it was actually pretty normal and common. That was very helpful. You never want to feel like you're the only one with that fear and that anxiety, and you know, I'm being ridiculous and nobody else would think this way as soon as other people are in your boat, you know, you're not wishing that upon people, but you're like, great, we're a team.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Nicholina, if you're telling us your story, really appreciate it, and thank you so much for your candor and you know, just being really honest about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course, thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to tell the story.
Speaker 1: I relate to Nicolina in a lot of ways, having struggled with anxiety through both my pregnancies. I was curious about the medical implications, so we've enlisted obstetrician and gynecologist doctor Bromin Devine to give us some of the facts. So, if you're in any sort of medication pre pregnancy, is it safe to continue when you get those two lines.
Speaker 3: This is a great question because lots and lots of people are on medication now for anxiety and depression. In the past, some of the medication that was used was not usually recommended in pregnancy, but the class of drugs that we use now to treat anxiety and depression are generally regarded as safe in pregnancy. There are some effects that they can have. They don't cause birth defects or anything like that, but they can be associated with it slightly increased risk of leading when you've had a baby, So postpartum hemorrhage, and they can also be associated with a slightly increased risk of respiratory distress in the newborn, which means that the baby has a fast breathing rate and sometimes needs to be on a little bit of oxygen in the nursery for a few hours after birth. But that's not consistent across all people who are taking those medications. The thing that we say, though, we know really clearly that people's mental health should be as good as it can be in the antiinatal period, because if it isn't, then that's a real marker for postnatal depression. And postnatal depression has so many and so does antiinatal depression and anxiety. But postnatal depression and anxiety has so many effects on the neurodevelopmental health of the child and bonding between the child and the mum, and lots of far reaching effects. So what we say these days is if you need to be on medication to optimize your mental health in the antiinatal period, then it's best to be on that medication. And if that keeps you as good as you can be, that's fantastic. And we really take people's mental health anti natally and postnatally, very very seriously.
Speaker 1: Diary of a Birth was hosted by me kasenular Kitsch with expert input from doctor Bronwin Devine and while we have you, We're on the hunt to share powerful, underrepresented stories from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and debilities. If your birth story felt different, please reach out. Details are in the show notes. This episode was produced by Tina Matalov and myself Casseni Lukich, with audio production by Leah Porgies