Speaker 1: We acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land we're recording on today.
Speaker 2: Hybra wants to make friends, but they don't want to eat their house like we'll.
Speaker 3: Put the culture of making means about like, oh that feeling when someone cancels dinner.
Speaker 2: I get it, but you're not going to make friends by sitting at home by yourself on.
Speaker 1: TikTok, Hello and welcome back to Eat, Sleep, Shit Repeat. You're on a Hinge podcast all about the madness that is motherhood and everything in between.
Speaker 2: I'm Kyrisels, I'm Kelly mccaren and I love but twen Key is leading.
Speaker 1: I know, so do I I'm feeling control.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I'm just so lazy. I really, really, really love just sitting back and just letting the good times roll.
Speaker 1: Also, if our audio sounds a bit off, this week, we are doing a remote record, so sorry about that, but we've got to make a podcast. You got to keep going even though you're sick.
Speaker 2: In case you missed it, in last week's episode, we had a good old agi bargie about some polarizing parenting topics hitting the headlines recently.
Speaker 1: I just want to say it is so nice to have a nice debate and understand each other's viewpoints.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know me, I can get bored in conversations quite easily. That is one way to keep me so interested. I absolutely froth a good debate. As soon as I find out that someone disagrees with me about something, I'm like, yes, sir, I just genuinely find the conversation so much more fun. Like, I don't know, it's nice to challenge your viewpoint my own viewpoints, yeah, I'm like, make me think I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: Well, it's my life's work. I'm on the show today. Qacon so.
Speaker 2: Long seriously that song ever since people didn't show up to my birthday party that time. And that's what Luke thinks is really funny to play when I share that store.
Speaker 3: Honestly, Luke is forever my favorite.
Speaker 1: So Kel, you did a call out to our lovely shitters. You were asking for topics that we should be talking about on the pod and loneliness and struggling to make friends. We submitted by quite a few of our shitters. So today we're going to delve into this, give you some tips and even a resource that's actually right in front of you.
Speaker 3: But first, Key it is your turn to do peek and pit.
Speaker 1: Oh god, yeah it is. It is my turn, So Sadden, don't.
Speaker 2: You love like me when it's my turn? I'm like, oh, here's six topics. I know, I think you have to winge about six things to brag about.
Speaker 1: I've actually got a couple of peaks because I have leaned on your kind of way of doing things. But I've only got one pit, and that is that Rue was sick for days, seven days of sickness, and it had been a.
Speaker 3: While every time, like yeah.
Speaker 1: It was intense too, and like she went down on the Monday and I was just like great because it was like fever of like thirty eight point five and then it went up to thirty nine point three at one stage. So I was like, okay, so let's settle in here for quite a long sickness. And it was just relentless, Like it was lucky that the fever was like easily managed with drugs, but my god, as the drugs wore off or the meds wore off, she would just be so feral. And the tantrums, the tantrums that came with it, I don't know, I guess because they're more expressive in the way and they feel things. They're bored. But it was so funny, because what's it? What funny? I actually feel really bad about this. I did. Rue did give this to her bestie, Goldie, so we didn't know that Rue was sick, but we were over at their house on the Sunday we went down.
Speaker 2: How you just change that because you're like, it was so funny. Oh, it wasn't funny.
Speaker 1: It wasn't that funny. Goldie went down on the Wednesday. But it was just so funny because Beck and I we're messaging each other, it's like, hey, she's being real feral when she's not drugged up and oh fat. Honestly, it was awful, but it is kind of nice going through it with someone at the same time. But just her newborn now has it, so I'm just like, God, we can't see them for like a month until I work.
Speaker 3: Off that embarrassment of making their whole family sick and including the newborn. Likeily, she's not muting, she's not fresh's she's.
Speaker 1: Not she's vaccinated, and gold has been bringing home stuff as well. Yeah, you know, but the cherry on the top of that cake is that I am now sick, which was fantastic.
Speaker 2: Why we are remote, that's it. But it did kind of work out. I mean, I'm such a bad friend because he's like, Oh, you're going to be so cranky about this, I can't come today.
Speaker 3: We'll have to do it remote. And I was like, works for me.
Speaker 2: My house is a disaster, and I messaged you in warning yesterday that we were going to have to find a new spot to recall.
Speaker 1: But I was like, maybe we should change it up and get a little let's change it.
Speaker 2: But even the lounge room, there's just cars everywhere, which is you know, on brand.
Speaker 1: But it's on brand absolutely. I mean if it was something else everywhere, maybe something different, but cars, it's one brand for us. All right, peak, let's get into it. So I've actually got a few peaks. We had ruse daycare orientation for the shitters. A little update here Rue we'll be going to daycare with Goldiet next year. Have made the decision, dropped out the other day care and we had our orientation. It was so sweet. We basically just went and you could go into the classroom and sit down and play. They had like playto out and coloring stuff out and then they gave them this little book when we left, and it's because we had to send photos in and it's all about Ru's first day at her daycare, and there's pictures to kind of show her where she's going to be, putting her bag, her drink bottle, what kind of activities they do, what the educator's names are. So I just thought that was so lovely. And it's like night and day from any other orientation I've ever had before. So it's just kind of confirmed that, right, Ksta. Yeah, and the girls are just so bloody excited to be going together, Like we told them, like, you guys are going to go to school each other next year, and they're like what So they can't of get it, but they don't, but they seemed thrilled.
Speaker 2: And when they're in a bad mood and don't want to go to daycare, it just makes it so good to be able to be like, oh, but Goldie will be there, like that's not I'll be like waiting for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. I mean we Beck and I both use this now. It's like ru'se at home waiting for you or gold is at home waiting for you. They're not We're not going to see each other probably till the weekend or maybe not at all this week. But we them lie. Yes, yes we do. Oh my child.
Speaker 3: It's luding topic because I get so cranky at Luke for lying to Lenny.
Speaker 2: No, I lie and exaggeration is fine, but I outright refuse.
Speaker 1: The other day, I was like, do you want to get sushi? And she was like, yeah, let's go. And I got her into the car and she's like, so sushi and I'm like, oh no, it's shut because we took too long getting into the car. Shut now. So that's my little trick sushi. I reckon that.
Speaker 2: It's fine, but you know, I'm going to have words with you and beck you that's not happy about that, not happy about that parenting decision.
Speaker 1: You know, look, it's not our finest moment, but my gosh, when it works, it's saving us.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's very relatable. Everyone at home is probably shut up, Kelly. I do it too.
Speaker 1: I'm a liar, Let me live, shut up, let me live, let me lie. So my other peak is a personal peak, which is related to motherhood and parenting. Because this pregnancy get out my little tiny island. Yeah, it's been awful. We've talked about it. I've harped on about it so much to death right but.
Speaker 3: Out of her Soon she'll shut it out.
Speaker 1: Get it out so she can stop complaining. I this week finally started some pregnancy friendly polaries, and so I had a good stint before I got sick, which is good. But my god, it was like I wasn't beeping people when I was driving. I wasn't angry. I just wasn't. I didn't have this kind of like short fuse that I've been having for the last you know. However many weeks I felt myself like really relax and just happy, and it's in dolphins. It's like getting back into routine and it's just having a bit of control over my body and my life. I'm feeling has been really productive for me.
Speaker 3: So I just need to share it.
Speaker 1: And now I'm sick. I'm trying not to spiral about being sick, but honestly, I'm just so relieved to be able to be moving my body. And it's actually wonderful to see how strong you can get so quickly, you know, because I think.
Speaker 3: Especially you've got really good muscle memory.
Speaker 2: Because yeah, exactly exercise so consistently for so much of your life, and.
Speaker 1: I know, like for anyone, I feel like this is really relatable, Like when you have been not exercising for a while for whatever reasons that are like legitimate reasons. Sometimes getting back into it, it's getting like over that mental hurdle of I'm going to be so shit. It's yeah, you don't.
Speaker 2: Want to be like a really unfit person. Yeah, that's where I'm currently at, to be honest, and that I.
Speaker 1: Will just tell you just go because the payoff of going, that all melts away, like the fear of being unfit or being shit at something. And then what's really cool to see is just how quickly you kind of get back into things. Like I just felt like I couldn't even bloody touch my toes the first class because it's Matt Polatt's that I'm doing, which I'm not very good at. I've never really done Matt Polattis, so it's a bit of a challenge. And I'm so not flexible, Like all my muscles are so tight. You can imagine I've been sitting a sedentary for six months. But you know, in a few classes it was a little bit easy to get down there still. You know, I was bending my knees, but you know, you can feel things starting to loosen up. So just little things and all of those things make you feel just like you're kind of killing it, and such little things, you know, and I don't know, just to sweat, get the heart rate up. I was like, and I was like, oh god, it feels good to guess for some good.
Speaker 3: That's me.
Speaker 2: You want to because I did join a new gym about a month ago.
Speaker 3: Okay, I haven't gone.
Speaker 1: That's okay, it's okay.
Speaker 2: I'm scared to go because I don't want to be the wildly unfit person.
Speaker 3: But you know what, though I can't be that unfit. I do netball. I play center in netball.
Speaker 1: And also it's a new gym. No one knows you. You know, you can pretend that you've like never been to a gym before, but I don't know. You love to do the cycle. You could do a little stand up on the bick or something.
Speaker 3: I don't like to do cycle.
Speaker 1: You're always like, I'm sitting down editing and I'm like, shut up, but.
Speaker 3: Yes, sorry, sorry, shut up. That was a secret between us. I'll be likeasking that you'll go to the gym.
Speaker 2: He's like, she literally just sits on the old person bike and the one that you always see the cute little grannies on and.
Speaker 3: Edits or like shops. That's what not drop a bike, the one that's like a set o.
Speaker 2: I sit back, I relax, basically have a snack. But that is a very good tip. Also, I'll do my little thing. I've done this when I did another class a couple of like a year ago, I.
Speaker 3: Just was like, Oh, I've recently given birth. I hadn't you know. So then everyone was like, oh my god, you're so impressive that you're here.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, do whatever you need to to get you comfortable in that room yesterday not being able to do things. So in twenty twenty three, a report came out called the State of the Nation.
Speaker 1: Some people might be familiar with it. I can't say I am rang a little bit of a bell, but anyway, it's a report on social connection and Australia and it found that one in three Australians report loneliness at any given time, and that one in six Australians reports severe levels of loneliness. So those numbers are quite shocking. I always like to think about like six of my friends. That's how it makes sense to me those numbers. People who are smarter can probably get the impacting pence exactly. And I'm like, fuck one of my six friends. It's probably me to be fair in that scenario. But loneliness it might seem a little bit I don't know, further down the list of things of importance when we're like, you know, up against climate change and Trump being president again, but it's actually really important. Social connection is crucial for us as human beings, so much so that last year the World Health Organization so WHO they declared loneliness to be a pressing global threat with consequences that are still underrecognized. And in an interview with the ABC, Dr Jasmine Viagara, so she works at WHO, said prolonged social isolation and loneliness is as bad for the human body as smoking fifteen cigarettes a day.
Speaker 3: Oh, come off it, Kelly.
Speaker 1: Those who lack social connection are at a higher risk of developing depression, anxiety, dementia, cardiovascular disease, and stroke. But this is the thing which I couldn't find many, if any studies really on parenting. I found one statistic kind of out of that state of the nation. Of those people who felt lonely, they were like twenty five point five percent with parents. But there are a lot of studies that have been done internationally, and I just think I've read through a lot of them, and it's clear that when you add early parenting, so looking after little kids or young kids, and the impact of modern parenting, so the careers of parents getting back to work changes, and your friendships and your relationships, and the fact that we're now raising kids in silo without the village, parents are feeling more alone and more isolated than ever before. And of course we saw this anecdotally with the outreach that we did for the pod topics.
Speaker 2: So I even think, like just the feedback that we get about the pod makes me feel like I'm chatting with girlfriends the mother's group for your ears type thing, like yeah, like.
Speaker 1: I'd never had a mother's group. I'm so glad this exists. And that is honestly one of the main reasons why I quit my job to continue this, because I was so passionate about the experience and I had, and so passionate about how well the first season especially did of our pod, Like there's clearly something going on with parents and that they need connection and they're getting it through pods of all things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which I totally get because I listened to pods all the time and music and audio books and just otherwise I'm just sitting alone in the in the silence and that sucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your own thoughts, which yeah, when it's.
Speaker 2: People enjoy listening to you do feel like you're and you know, you're chuckling along listening to them, and you feel sad when they're sad because it is connection.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not like friendship. That's what you're obviously looking for at the end of the day, right.
Speaker 2: And it is like when we meet people out in the wild, like shit is we love it and there is that instant connection because you're like, oh, you know, we've been in it together.
Speaker 1: I'm always like, can you tell me something about you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, because I'm like, you know, way you too much about me.
Speaker 1: Naked right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you basically know about from my nipples to my clitorus or like they'reof And can we just touch on doctor Jasmine first, like sometimes not always.
Speaker 1: Be so mean to my statistics, my quotes, you just risk them apart.
Speaker 2: But they're not yours, well they are, you found them. But these idiots, well they're not idiots. They're very clever.
Speaker 3: But okay, key, I'm going to ask you something.
Speaker 2: Would you like to see the insides of yourself if you smoke fifteen cigarettes every single day or if you're lonely?
Speaker 1: I think what they're saying, right, they obviously have to say something that's going to be headlining, because this is like, you know, they're trying to emphasize the impact that is ridiculous. Well, they're saying depression, anxiety, dementia, all of those other things. They can have serious effects on your brain, you like not moving of course, those things. It is as bad as having fifteen cigarettes to day. They're just doing a comparison, Like obviously it's not going to be as textbook bad, but it's just a bloody thing to get a headline ground.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I know, okay, I'm making fun of it, but like it's the mental health impacts, which are obviously so much.
Speaker 1: Exactly, but mental health has such an impact on your physical health, Like people die of loneliness. Like think about the stories you hear of like a couple that's been married for seventy years and the husband dies and then the wife dies shortly after because they're so connected and they don't want to live without the other one. Like, those are real stories that you hear all the time, and I think that like loneliness.
Speaker 3: Didn't that happen to both of our grandparents.
Speaker 1: My Nana was a little bit longer, but yeah, it was pretty close.
Speaker 3: Like under a year, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And also like the decline as well, the decline.
Speaker 2: My grandparents were on my mom's side, were like they did everything together, they were so joined. And then neither of them like ever had bad health stuff. Oh except for my nanna, and she had the brain aneurysm when she was in her thirties, but like then, long term she was kind of fine, and then she just randomly died and she was older, but like you know, and then the decline. In my poppy lesson to you later, he was gone.
Speaker 1: Well that's exactly so sad. He did not want a motivation.
Speaker 3: He did not want to be on this earth without her. One hundred was so sad.
Speaker 1: You lose that motivation that gets you up every day, you know, like if you don't have a reason to get up, you don't have a reason to Like those are all things, Like all of us need reasons to get out of bed every day. That's why, you know, I flourish in a routine, knowing what I'm going to do, having that control, like the kind of rush you get after you finished a day of doing things, Like, all of that stuff is really integral to our successes. Like human beings, it's all related, they say. It's like so crucial to us because it's how we learn, it's how we laugh, it's how we love, and ultimately all of that is living.
Speaker 2: You know, I get so jealous of people that are just like really free spirits and oh whatever, but I genuinely think like people with any sort of mental health ailment, yeah, we kind of have to live by routines because it just helps so much.
Speaker 3: So having routine is astronomical.
Speaker 1: And with kids, like they say, it's so important for them to form these routines so that they feel safe, you know exactly they understand and they're not just like, well where the fuck did that come from? Like, no, this is what we do every day, and this makes me feel comfortable and I'm safe. This is my family. Yeah, so I want to get into our loneliness. I'm really keen to hear both pre and post len have you ever felt lonely? Like examples, at times you may have felt lonely.
Speaker 2: One of my strongest memories of loneliness was when I moved to Sydney when I was eighteen to go to un And I've spoken before that I was a very young eighteen year old, like I was very sheltered, didn't have much life experience, and I'm also the eldest, so I guess that is part of it. Yeah, and I lived on campus and I didn't make any friends. A lot of people find it very hard to believe that I am inherently very shy and I'm very introverted. My extraversion is actually a very clever mask that in my mid thirties, I am an absolute master of putting on. I don't even barely notice I'm doing it anymore. It's just like how exhausted I might be afterwards. But inherently, at my core, I'm not extroverted, so I'll never forget. And my mum and dad still talk about it, like because I I didn't want to go to UNI, I didn't want to move, and they drove me down to Sydney and they moved me into my dorm room and we spent the day unpacking and that sort of thing. And they were driving away and I'm just standing behind the car and they said that I had my sunglasses on because I've always, up until my first energy healing experience, I never let anyone see me cry. And I was like clearly sobbing with just tears running down my cheeks behind my sunglasses, but like sadly waving to them baby kill and Mum actually heartbreaking sobbing in the car because they were like, we don't want to leave her, but we kind of have to, Like what, We're not just going to move into a dorm with her, and we've got two other kids at home. And then I went back into my dorm and I just sat down and I just felt so alone and out of my comfort zone. But I said to myself, I was like, you have to go out.
Speaker 3: It was o weeks.
Speaker 2: There was mixes at every single minute, so I sort of forced myself and it took every ounce of everything I had to force myself to go out, because when you're not extroverted by nature, it takes a lot of energy to do these things, especially by yourself.
Speaker 1: Oh totally yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I went and I did get a boyfriend at UNI, so I had him and he was like amazing. We dated for five or six years. We moved into each other's dorms as well. We just like studied in one dorm and then like lived together in the other. But we were both like so tall and slept in a single bed for the first two years of our relationship.
Speaker 3: How and why so I always cackle about that.
Speaker 1: I'm like, why didn't you get a bigger bed?
Speaker 2: And he was like always very hard worker though, and he used to go home every Friday and like work for because he lived in the Southern Highlands.
Speaker 3: His parents lived in the Southern Highlands.
Speaker 2: So every single Friday, like after I finished my lectures or whatever I had on I would drive to my nanny's house for an entire year on the weekend and I would arrive on Oh my gosh, it makes me like, oh, I love her so much.
Speaker 3: I would arrive on Friday.
Speaker 2: And I immediately just felt like so safe because I just missed my family so much and I didn't have any friends and a part. I was so lucky to have a boyfriend, but apart from him, I just didn't have anyone, and I really struggled, and I just was finally safe for a few days, and she would like cook for me on the Sunday and she'd send me home with meals for a week, and she was just my best friend.
Speaker 3: She was my only friend week. And so, yeah, when I was eighteen year old.
Speaker 2: If anyone wants to know why I'm still partying like I'm eighteen, it's because when I was eighteen, I spent every single weekend with my nanny.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't change up for the world.
Speaker 1: Bow, Yeah, which I actually think sounds pretty nice.
Speaker 2: Gosh, that year, I just remember just so much loneliness and really struggling. And of course I had acquaintances, like I lived on campus, I had lots of acquaintances, but no friends.
Speaker 3: You know, those people.
Speaker 2: That you can if I was having a bit of a lonely day or having a bad day, that I would just go to their dorm.
Speaker 1: And well, they define loneliness as you know, this really like sad, uncomfortable feeling of being alone. But it's also coincides with the desire to have meaningful friendships. And I think that's what you're saying, it's like you had people that you knew and you'd say hi to ANX, but nothing meaningful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like we'd go to the bar and get pissed on a Thursday.
Speaker 2: But it wasn't it was just so top level, it wasn't anything worth anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And in that year, like in one of.
Speaker 2: My classes, because I actually lived on a separate campus to the one that I started at, which also would have made a difference because it's like I was never seeing the people that I.
Speaker 3: Was studying this UNI. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then at the campus anyway, there was like this really like I was just so in awe of this one girl because she always was talking to people, and she was so confident, and she always had so many friends, and she was so funny. She made me like quietly giggle to myself in every class that we had. And then in my second year, so it was like my goal that summer, I thought to myself, No, you have to make friends. You can't just like be lonely for another year. So my very first day on my second year of UNI, I walked up to the loud crazy girl. I sat down next to her, and I asked her if she would like to see my Sea World bag that I'd gotten, and this was ash And this was Ashley.
Speaker 3: We've had her on the pod My Best.
Speaker 1: Team Your Sea World Bag and she story.
Speaker 2: She's so nice, but we have to get her on to tell this story because she just tells it so differently.
Speaker 3: They used to make fun of me, the silly old moles.
Speaker 2: In the first they called me wedge girl because I wore wedges to school.
Speaker 1: Why did you wear wedges?
Speaker 3: Because I've always really loved clothes and dressing up.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, true, okay, got it, got it?
Speaker 2: So I would do my hair and you know what cool UNI students are like, they just show up in an oversized shirt and leggings.
Speaker 3: But no, no, I would wear like my wedges and like a little frock and you know, quite cute.
Speaker 1: Oh I really do like that about you.
Speaker 2: And me and my boyfriend had gone to Sea World and so I'd bought my merch bag and ordered all of my textbooks in it. And I was like, do you want to see it? And she placated me and said yes, and well we've been friends ever since.
Speaker 1: It wasn't that nice. She was like, let this weird girls get here. We have a cheer weird girl.
Speaker 2: And I think that because of her, she saved me in so many ways when it came to making friends, because as soon as you've got one friend, oh my god, it opened so many doors, which is why I like, you know, years later, we found out that a girl that we knew were moving to Sydney, and immediately we like took her under our wing, because you just need someone to start introducing you to different people, that's.
Speaker 1: The thing, and you just need at the end of the day, you just need one a week man friend. That's it, and then like the rest is great. But if you can just make that one friendship that's really meaningful, that makes the biggest difference.
Speaker 2: And ever since, I guess that was just a lesson that even though it goes against my insights. It's funny because so many of my closest friends are people that I admired from far and thought to myself, oh gosh, I'd really like to be that person's friend. They seem so nice.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and.
Speaker 2: It's funny because so many of them are that. But yeah, so that it's so strong in my mind. And thank God for Ash and my nanny for helping me make friends. And get out of that. I still spend at least every second weekend with my nanny, wasn't her No, no, And then obviously, like there are always different points through your twenties and whatnot. But I remember when I was pregnant in lockdown, I felt so lonely and once again though it actually it broke my heart though that I couldn't visit my nanny, like because I think I absorb a lot of what she's feeling. And that's another story though, like about how awful that was. But so I felt a lot of loneliness. Then it's very isolating being pregnant, even when your sister is pregnant. But it added to that a lot being pregnant in lockdown with a partner that and he acknowledges this, really wasn't interested in my pregnancy or being a part of it. I don't think he had the emotional intelligence to sort of look at it as something that we were both in and going through.
Speaker 1: And you know, that's actually a really quite a normal experience of a lot of men, even partners. Her partner, pregnant, navigating earthing partner. Yeah, they just don't really have a connection. And some people who are the pregnant person don't have a connection to the baby that they're growing inside of the ether. It doesn't come tall after the baby's born, even a couple of months later, exactly. So it's actually a really normal experience. But I think there's a little bit of shame around it, or reluctance to open up about it and also share that potentially your partner was a little bit shit. Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: And I would say after Lenn, the funny thing is, I mean I'm looking back, and maybe I'm looking at it with a bit of rose tinted glasses, but I feel like I've always felt like Lenny was my little buddy. Yeah, I always felt like I had him. But oh, I mean it's very hard when you take in postpartum depression. You literally don't even want to be on the earth anymore. But the isolation and loneliness, especially at night, and we've spoken about this before that there is no lonelier person than an overtired new mum at three am when she's thinking about everyone else asleep, her partner's potentially asleep, yeah, and she's got a screaming baby and there's no one to Yeah. I just used to love, just even if I had someone just to sit with me and keep me company.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, And obviously I didn't have a mother's group or.
Speaker 2: Like I had my sister and it was covidy, so I don't think I was.
Speaker 3: I also couldn't really drive, so anyway, it was Yeah, i'd say, post pardon, that was pretty shit.
Speaker 2: But I've been lucky enough to have friends with kids or babies around, even if they don't live close to me. I'm very lucky to have such strong friendships, and quite a fair few of them, so I would say that that has helped a lot.
Speaker 3: Now. The only time I really get a little bit lonely.
Speaker 2: Is on days when I don't talk to anyone.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I can relate to that so hard.
Speaker 2: But then your partner and your child get home and you think, my god, i'd quite like another ten minutes of silence, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't believe I was missing them, but.
Speaker 3: What about you.
Speaker 1: I definitely have felt loneliness from quite a young age. I think it was a big theme in my childhood. I was an only child, and I didn't have like a strong kind of family unit. I moved schools a lot like I would move primary schools all the time, and then we ended up moving countries and that just wasn't really the continuity of me living in one place that meant that I could develop those meaningful connections. So I do have friends from New Zealand of course that I'm still in touch with, But as soon as I moved there was that kind of stopped because the Internet and things like that weren't really a thing at that stage, you know. But what I do think when I think about it now, of being lonely, because that's why I wanted so desperately to have another kid, right because as a kid, I was all like I wish I just had a brother or sister that I could be going through this with because I'd always be playing by myself in my bedroom because that was like the style of parenting that my birth mum had, you know, like when she had me. It was like I would be in my bedroom by myself, playing and it was so lonely. And work with my grandparents was different because I'd just be watching like British crime shows with them, which I fucking frothed and it's like my favorite genre. But it was like I think I grew up really quickly, and I that was one of the main drivers of me being like I always want at least two and I don't think you need to have more than one kid. That's not what I'm saying at all. I don't want to ever say that to anyone who's listening who's won and done, But for me personally, I was just like, you know, if I can't call my craziness with these kids, at least I have each other a bitch about me with yeah, and they could like have that camaraderie. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's a fair point though, And as you know, that's one of the biggest things it gets me upset about potentially not giving Lenna's sibling because the thing is is that I say this and then people slide into my DMS and are like, I fucking hate my sister and we even't talked for ten years.
Speaker 1: And totally yeah, yeah, I get.
Speaker 2: That always exceptions to the rule, of course, and Lenny always is around kids or we're always playing and whatnot, But yeah, that I always had my sister, and even to this day, I always have my sister and my brother, especially my sister, like they are my inbuilt besties.
Speaker 3: That would do anything for me.
Speaker 2: And when I was a kid and we hated each other and fought all the time, and I was going through bullying and dinner friends at school, I would go home and it was safe and I had people to play.
Speaker 1: With totally, And that's I just have always thought that way. I just thought, oh, how different my life would be if I had someone else that because you know, a lot of the time when I'm feeling low about things that have happened in my life, or you know, I've got my godmother who obviously knows my birthmum really well, so we can have a conversation about that. But there's no one who was from that lived experience as like a little kid going through that abandonment, and that whole experience feels really isolating for me because no one can truly understand, and just to be able to talk about it, it would have been really nice. Anyway. What that did is, like you know, being lonely as a child, or like yearning for company helped me, I think, become comfortable in my own company, so I actually really crave like if we have lots of social events, and I don't think this is a unique experience but we have lots of social events. Sometimes like I'll need to tap out and I'm like on holidays. We've done group holidays before and most of my friends know at some stage I'll have to just have a little bit of key time and that's just me in a room watching some reality TV, like I need my own company kind of thing. But I know that the flip side of that is that spending like extended periods by myself is very detrimental to my mental health. So there's like kind of a balance in that that I've had to really be conscious of. I think also an extension of that was in moving countries. You know, I moved at an age like I was think I was eleven, you know, so it was like grade six, grade seven in Queensland, everyone's about to go to high school. That formed these friendships that have been at primary school together, and it took me a long time to have friendships that were.
Speaker 2: It must be really hard if you're constantly moving schools completely.
Speaker 1: And that's why, because you know, I've had to move through all these different daycares. It's actually makes me feel really bad because the one thing that I really want for her is like continuity with everything, you know, like she is too, Yeah, I know, I know, but I'm like I want her to like have those friends that she's had since she's little and have all of those like normal markers for I don't know, there's something that's about that. It is so rare, especially now, so I understand that it's like not the norm.
Speaker 3: But it's my oldest friend and that's years seven, so.
Speaker 1: Which is really Yeah.
Speaker 2: He's my only friend from high school that I've kept though, so round's so different everyone is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'd say I only really started making like meaningful and solid relationships and friendships. I should say it's from like the age of fifteen because then again, at the end of your eight I moved to a new high school. So it wasn't really until why was that I got bullied like really bad way sorry.
Speaker 3: Sorry that girl I wanted to kill you.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, and so I just never went back to school. But it was like right at the time when my birth mum was moving overseas and it was like she was happy to send me to a different school. So yeah, that's I think where my loneliness almost stopped. Because I would like live at my girlfriend's houses on the weekend during school holidays, like all of their parents really took me under their wing because they all felt really sorry for me. So that's when I remember that my loneliness really ease because I had like sisters suddenly, you know, like I was just we did everything together. And also I had another girlfriend who was an only child, so we spent a lot of time together. And I just remember like feeling so happy in high school because I had these amazing friendships and obviously there was like drama all the time, but at the core of it, I just remember like always having someone to talk to or confide in that felt really special to me. And then I think again when I moved overseas, probably to New York, because when I felt a little bit lonely, it's like amazing. I've read a lot of articles about feeling lonely and like a big city and it's quite a normal thing. You're in the city with so many people, but you can still feel so lonely because so many of the interactions you had, like you said before, kel are like surface level, and really making those deep friendships is.
Speaker 3: Harder given that you weren't from America.
Speaker 2: It's not like you knew people to sort of connect with, or even just that one person to connect with.
Speaker 1: Well, I had a couple of people over there, so felt no, no, no, no. I'm glad that you said that, though, because I think that I had ideas about what I wanted to do, right because a lot of people I knew were moving over there, but everyone was just hanging out with the people that moved over there, and I was like, I really want to have an experience where I like make a lot of American friends and like really immerse myself and not like land on the crutch of having people back home, because I was like, that's just Brisbane in New York kind of thing, you know. Yeah, But I did take up an offer from one of my guy friends to live on his couch, and it was actually probably the best thing for me because it meant that I just had someone that like thought of me, you know, like I had someone to check in with like, oh, hey, are you going to be home for dinner, or like, you know, his roommate was his best friend, Hey are you going to be home for dinner? And it was just nice having someone somewhere that cared about, you know, if you went missing for a couple of days they'd know about it, you know, that kind of like you're not completely alone in a city. And I think that it was almost like the balance you live on a couch, though not long, not long. It was probably like a couple of months.
Speaker 2: Maybe you lived on someone's couch for a couple of months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very normal thing to do, very normal. But I think what that allowed me to do, right is I moved to New York with some savings and obviously my US passport, but not really a plan. It was like to chase my dreams dying.
Speaker 3: But my dreams, what were your dreams, Kiris, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, just to do something I didn't even have a solid dream. There was a lot of solidarity. I don't even know if that's the right word for that, but wasn't a lot going into it anyway. But I think having that one person with those two people and then letting me live there like I wasn't lonely. You know, I could have really fallen easily into that trap of being super lonely, but I kind of made a conscious effort to be like, no, I can't do it by myself. Obviously becoming a mom like I didn't actually feel that lonely, and it was really surprising for me. Right, because I have really bad mental health. I knew that i'd be high risk for post central depression, but it wasn't my experience. And I think in past conversations we've had Kerl, I've really put that down to the fact of, like I put in the work, I knew what the signs were all of that stuff, and yes, I think that did contribute to it, but I actually think it was more to do with the fact that I had these meaningful relationships that I found in my Mother's group.
Speaker 3: Now the perfect matters group massive be nice.
Speaker 1: It wasn't perfect. It wasn't perfect, but like, I actually sent this meme to the girls yesterday and it was like, send this to someone that had a profound impact on your maternity leave or your early motherhood. And I've been prepping for this, reading all these articles and being like, had this epiphany, like it was my girls, it was my mother's group, So I sent them all this. I know, but mate, I've we've been reading so much about how that idea of mother's group has really changed and the competitiveness that now exists and the inability for people to make those connections, and it's all connected to postpartum experience not having that support group. I just think about that, and I think we were really lucky to have had that. And I think a lot of it was down to the people obviously that were in it, but you know, no one A couple of people had family, but everyone's family who were from Sydney were you know, a little bit away. And then there were expats and obviously just people who were orphans like myself. But it was just like this, you know, very lucky coincidence that we were all very lack minded and the way that we approach things, and I really think that was probably the core of it. But I was very prepped to feel lonely and to feel overwhelmed.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you, but you will also because a lot of the advice that I would ever give is to force yourself.
Speaker 3: If you haven't get even if it's like against every natural instinct, you've got to force yourself.
Speaker 2: You were so proactive key you would always like, oh, I'm going to my even now. You're so good with like organizing crap on your days with rue so that you're hanging out with a friend and she's got someone, and you know, you'd go to your movies and you're you were.
Speaker 3: Always doing stuff, You're always busy.
Speaker 1: Well, I just didn't want the walls to close in on me, Kelly.
Speaker 3: But it was clever.
Speaker 2: Like I think that it's just you might have wanted some days not to hang out with people, but you sort of always force yourself to.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And I think sometimes just mums hang out in silence.
Speaker 3: That's what's nothing wrong with silence.
Speaker 1: There is nothing wrong with silence.
Speaker 2: People underestimate how strong a friendship can be when you're both fine just to sit there and like pi on your phones, but you're you've got that company.
Speaker 1: Percent. Sometimes Lucy and I just on FaceTime not talking.
Speaker 3: Which is so weird anyway, Yeah, okay, that's weird.
Speaker 1: That's weird. In recent times though, and I feel I wanted to know if you would relate to this. Going freelance, I've experienced times of loneliness because I actually really enjoyed going to work and like the collaboration of working in a team, like the social element that comes with obviously the friendships that you form, Like you and I'm at at work, Lucy and I'm at work, and I think going freelance that has been really hard, especially like, for instance, I've just come off the back of being five days by myself with Rue because she was sick. I did see Lucy for recording this week, but I don't get to see you today because I'm sick. I feel like I'm going to be at the end of today.
Speaker 2: I know, I was really looking forward to seeing you today exactly, just like that camaraderie.
Speaker 1: Totally and just interaction, having conversation, like you know, not waiting for the bloody keys to jingle when Charlie gets home and pouncing on him being like, so, how was your day? Tell me everything?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I don't want to talk about that. I want to like just talk about random stuff. Oh yeah, just exactly.
Speaker 1: And that's a thing like with freelance, as great as it is, and having that flexibility, especially you know, with kids involved, and just like the space to be creative and do interesting things. The flip side is a lot of the time you are by yourself, so you have to like and if you have instances where you're sick, it's like, fuck, I was really enjoying some adult like looking for some adult conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny because I had freelanced in my early twenties and I can't really remember that stage once. I do remember being lonely, but I think there hasn't been a friendship like the one that we have or the one that I have with lots of other people that I've worked with. I haven't had that since I started freelancing, exactly. I haven't made I've made friends, but not like that. You know, there's just something when you're working with someone and you're like you see them all the time, and it's just that instant connection.
Speaker 1: Totally, you connect on a far deeper level than you do because you see each other and it's just by the mere fact of how much time you're spending together exactly. You know, like that's all it is. But that's I think why it's so important with parenting. It's like a lot of primary parents aren't going back to work, and a large percentage of them are women. And that's why I think that loneliness comes into play because you're missing those opportunities to form deeper relationships because you don't have the time that you had before to invest in them. So it's really difficult like, it's really difficult. The last one I had was like, which is just a flip off? That is raising a toddler without family nearby. I think when I was prepping for this, I read this article that was written in twenty seventeen on The Economist. I'll put the link and I'll find it. But the title was since the nineteen fifties because everyone thinks like, oh, we want a parent like you know we did in the nineteen fifties. And since the nineteen fifties, every wealthy country has doubled the amount of time per day that they parent their kid. So it was something like fifty nine minutes. I know, it's something like fifty nine minutes and teen fifty that women would parent their kids.
Speaker 3: Where were the kids? I thought, we get there, storry, sorry, sorry, sorry there.
Speaker 1: I'll get there. And that's gone up to like two hours. And it was even the same in Men. I think it was like fifteen minutes and it went up to fifty nine minutes, except in France. What the French just know how to do it. Hey, So I think what that reflects is that you would drop your kids off at the grandparents' house. They'd be playing outside because it was safe and everyone owned houses and they were suburban like. It's actually the way in which we have developed as a society. So the way that we live apartments were further out away from family. We can't afford to stay in the same suburbs necessarily that we grew up in. It means that you're further and further and further away from those people who would basically relieve you from your parenting duties. And now we're doing double the amount of work. Women are also working full time. That's why we rely on you know, daycare, but also daycare is fucked because of sickness and the things around having you know, kids needing to have a day off in some circumstances after having a fever, Like, there's all these things that just means that we're spending actually way more time with our kids. And it's actually not healthy for us to be spending this much time with our kids because your energy is depleted and you literally have nothing more to give.
Speaker 3: Mmm.
Speaker 1: Interesting, right, It's so interesting.
Speaker 2: I'm honestly just blown away. I'm wondering what those chicks were doing.
Speaker 1: Are you on TikTok?
Speaker 3: No? No, my phone just went off.
Speaker 1: I was like, was she just scrolling TikTok while I was talking about my really funny stat that I was saving. I didn't even put in the script because I didn't want you to see it.
Speaker 2: No, and I'm dying at it because I was like, this isn't in the script, you and your French women.
Speaker 1: It's so funny because I had this conversation with Charlie last night. I was making all these really good points and I was like, when I talked to Kelly about this tomorrow, I'm gonna have some singing.
Speaker 2: And then you're like, yeah, I'm not even going to put in this script because I want to shop her. And then the next thing in the script is examples of making funds from Frans from France.
Speaker 1: I feel like I've ended on a real like dumb dumb, so stop spending so much time with your kids, That's what you've just ended on. And people are like, key, we can't. That's why we're listening to the good Okay, okay, great, So what are we going to give the shitters? We need to get some tips, some examples of making some France.
Speaker 2: Well, I think, like, as I've said multiple times throughout this episode, you really have to force yourself to.
Speaker 3: Do things that you're not comfortable with.
Speaker 2: Like I do want to apologize if I ever come across as a little bit blunt, because.
Speaker 1: I think the shitters know you well enough.
Speaker 3: No I know, but it is done with love.
Speaker 2: Like I only have the best of intentions, but it's about because of what I'm going to say. Basically, I needed to profess that because you can't just sit on your ass at home and winge about not having friends or winge about being lonely. Okay, See, that's why I'm saying. I'm sorry if I'm coming across as blunt, but sometimes you need to be you know, a metaphorical slap across the face. I need to get up and out of your comfort zone because a friend isn't just going to fall into your lap.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, it's sounding a little bit Kim Kardashiani when she was you just need to get up.
Speaker 3: You need to work and work. Get your fucking ass up and work.
Speaker 1: It seems like nobody wants to work these days. No one wants to make friends anymore.
Speaker 3: That's what it's giving up I'm saying to you.
Speaker 1: But I do love it. I do understand the sentiment.
Speaker 2: Everyone wants to make friends, but they don't want to leave their house. Yes, Look, the culture of making means about like, oh, that feeling when someone cancels dinner, or being introverted and just want to stay at home all day. Like I get it, and all of those things are lovely and very relatable. But you're not going to make friends by sitting at home by yourself on TikTok.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: You can actually try to make friends at home, but it's probably easier to do it in real life. Have I told the story about how I made my friend Rav I think you.
Speaker 1: Have, but tell it again. I mean, you've definitely told me.
Speaker 2: Well, this girl like at my gym just always looked friendly. This was a very long time ago, and she sort of used to smile at me. And then one day I was like talking to one of the trainers, and I mean she told me afterwards she recognized my voice and she just stopped me and she goes, this is going to sound really weird, but do you have a podcast called Overshare? And it was a podcast I was doing at the time, and I was like, yes, I do, and she was like, oh my god, my husband literally ghosted me recently, I've been feeling so lonely and you Lemon Flex. It's honestly just like listening to friends in my eas every week. I can't tell you how much that podcast means to me. And I was like, oh my god, thank you. That is so nice, and we just like had a chat and then like obviously then I saw it at the gym a lot, and you know, sometimes I'd make like awkward little jokes or just smile at her, but I just got good vibes. Yeah, one night when I was drunk and she about something on Insta, I just was like, I asked.
Speaker 3: Your out on a friend date. I was like, would you like to get a drink one night?
Speaker 1: Yes? Suh. I love that.
Speaker 3: I love that, And we've been friends ever since. We went out for the drink. The chat was great, and yeah, we've been friends for four or five years now.
Speaker 2: And like pushing myself to join that netball team and not knowing anyone, and I felt sick about doing it, but I really wanted to do it. I'm friends with so many of the girls now and it's just so nice.
Speaker 1: And you have something to look forward to each week, which I think is like the brilliant thing in that as.
Speaker 2: Well, exactly, And it's also exercise, and it's something that no one expects anything from me.
Speaker 3: I'm not a mom.
Speaker 2: I'm not having to work like I literally just have to throw a ball and hope for the best. So yes, I know that sometimes my advice can be a little bit brutal, but it's only because I want people to realize that you really have to force yourself to do it sometimes. But things can also happen from your phone. But once again, you have to be proactive. You have to actually make the effort. I just think sometimes even when you do put yourself out there, the worst thing that's going to happen is that you're going to rejected, just like with romantic relationships, and it stings and it sucks to your ego, but it's okay. When I was at UNI and I was trying to make friends, the first group of people we were doing a group project together, and I thought, oh, I really should make an effort, and I was vibing, I thought with everyone, So I asked them if they would like to get a coffee in between classes, and no one did.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I don't know. I loved you know what.
Speaker 3: It's stung.
Speaker 2: I still think about it sometimes to this day because I was so rejected.
Speaker 3: That's okay, though it's really not a big deal. At the end of the day.
Speaker 2: You just might not be someone's cup of tea or they might just be slammed. But always ask this random lady. Another way that I met a friend was she messaged me on instant She's like, hey, do you live in myself? And I sent back an email a message being like, how do you.
Speaker 1: Know blah blah blah?
Speaker 3: What did I put up on like.
Speaker 2: A little bit Oh my god stalker alert? And then she was like, oh my god, no you didn't say anything. I'm so sorry for making you think I was a massive widow. I just recognized the location of blah blah blah, and I only not because I also live here. I have a sun of your age. Just wanted to reach out and see if you want to get a coffee sometime. And I was like, oh my god, I love that. We've been friends ever since.
Speaker 1: That is so nice.
Speaker 2: Actually, you know, she put herself out there. She asked me on a friend date.
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 1: And once you got over her potential not being a stalker, you were like, yeah, actually I could use a friend.
Speaker 2: It was literally only because like I'm obviously just so weird about those things now that I have len and never of course.
Speaker 1: But I was a saying Willie Lilly with everything, and now I'm like everyone knows where I live, but I like, don't set the suburb anymore, and it's like too late.
Speaker 2: Like you literally knews to said all the time, but yeah, sure you're like, yeah, I moved.
Speaker 3: It's fine, kid, since.
Speaker 1: A different beach that is unknown.
Speaker 3: What are your tips?
Speaker 1: Well, my first one was asking potential friends out on dates. I think it's such a good idea. Another way to do it is if we're talking more about parenting, the one place I think that all of us can or most parents have been to, or at least when you're feeling lonely and stuck at home with a kid, going to the park, and there are certain parents that you see there all the time, and so she says, strike up a conversation like, yeah, you might be up against people that aren't really up for it, but you can pretty much tell straight away, but I guarantee you there is another lonely mum or even dad who was standing there like wishing they have the confidence to strike up a conversation. And like, I know my girlfriend Talia, she's a massive shitter. Her kids aren't in daycare, so she all of the friends that they have made have been from the park, Like the kids have been playing, the moms have gotten talking, she's been going to their birthdays and all that, and I'm just like that is amazing, Like using you know the place is that you're out all the time, because I know that when I'm just in my neighborhood, I recognize different mums from the park or kids from the park, and that means I probably recognize you as well. And if you're there enough, like just bloody ask them. That's such an easy thing. And then if they say no, just don't go to that park for a couple of days.
Speaker 3: Luke has made friends like.
Speaker 1: This, Yeah, it's such an easy way to make friends.
Speaker 2: He literally on a Sunday he messages, I forget what the dude's name is, but he's like, come on Land, We're going to go meet Myra and Mara's dad.
Speaker 3: Like because he's he's the dad that goes to the parks all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't take Lenny consistently enough to one park, Like I take him to different parks all the time, but not one consistent pup Whereas Luke goes to the one park and talks to everyone there and he's got a look friends and his dad friends, and I'm sure that doesn't surprise you.
Speaker 1: Key, And look, the park could be swimming lessons, it could be by it could be little kickers. It's like anything that your kid is going to consistently where you like see the same parent or parents or kids. That's your opportunity just to like throw it out there, Hey, do you guys like want to go to the park after for a scoot or like, do you guys live in the area. I would love to like make some kid friends for little blah blah blah, like use whatever organized or just places that you show up to your advantage of asking people out on those friendship dates.
Speaker 3: I think wouldn't you agree?
Speaker 2: Though, even if it's not a consistent person, you see, because I don't take one to the same park consistently, that doesn't mean like sometimes I'll just strike up a conversation with someone.
Speaker 3: I've had a whoret conversation.
Speaker 2: I've never seen that person didn't even catch the person's name. But we've had a really great, just ten minute conversation that made me smile for the rest of the day.
Speaker 1: Absolutely sorry. It doesn't have to be the consistent that you've seen them or I just thought it maybe can be like, oh, I see you at the park a lot, like how old your kids? You could do anything?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Another when I have on here as making friends with your neighbors, which I think is something that's been lost obviously just societies grown and changed. But like the last two apartment blocks that we've lived in, I've made really good friends with our neighbors and just making an effort to say hi, and you know, if you've got extra of something, dropping it over or you could strata, you could strata, you could join strata and congratulate them on the new screen deal of the apartment. I was relating it to the apartment buildings for the Another thing that Charlie and I have done, like we have debated for years over getting a coffee machine, because we spend quite a lot of money on buying our coffees. But the one thing that made us stop, like we were so close was like we actually don't want to lose that interaction in the morning of going to our coffee place.
Speaker 3: Having friends with your boister.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, really a little cookie. Yeah, And we gave her like a birthday present when she on a holiday, she brought a present back for Rue. Like that is so cute. Yeah. And sometimes like if I'm out and I need to like run upstairs and put the dog back because we're going and getting in the car and going to Westfield or something, I'll just leave Roo with her because it's just across the road. So I'll just like leave her and be like, oh, can I leave rou here for five minutes while I drop the dog off? And she like doesn't mind at all. So even like that, so that interaction in the morning, like we know everything about her and we're like always soaked for her, and when something happens, you know, like I don't know, it's just having a regular place that you go to each morning. Is something so small that you can do another one. This is so funny. So getting involved with kids' social events. So Charlie sent me the old like the day kid that we're leaving, they're having like a Christmas picnic, and I was like, lo, and then I was like oh, should we go? And he was like, yeah, we probably should go, and I.
Speaker 2: Was like, oh shit, we should go way so cute, we should go.
Speaker 1: So we're going to go to that, And I felt like it was really important because in the days that we're walking home, like of course, just as we move daycares now, they're like obsessed with each other, all the kids, and she's always saying their names, and I always walk home with this one dad or this one mom after school and blah blah blah, and I'm like, shit, like I'd love to keep in contact with them and like invite them to Rou's birthday party or you know, like they all live in the same area as me. And so I was like, actually, we should go to this picnic because we always complain about like how are they all friends? We're not friends, They're not like us or something. So we're like, we're going to this picnic with a mission to make friends with them so that we don't lose those contacts because she really likes those kids.
Speaker 3: You know, try not to come on too strong, Okay, all right.
Speaker 1: I'm working on it. I'm working on it. Even with ballet. I took Rude to her ballet rehearsal yesterday and one of the moms, like I've been seeing for a few weeks, she was like, oh, my name's Kylie and like formally introduced herself and I'm like I'm kay, and we got to chatting and it was a really nice convo and like that just happened organically. You know, we've been going for a month now and now we've been saying hi and hi, and you know, what are you doing after this? And now we're kind of like at the point now where maybe the kids might have a play one day, you know, like just easing into it. And then a lot of people say, I know, we're not there yet, but a lot of people say when the kids go to primary school, you end up making really good friends. So that's something that like I'm looking forward to. I guess because you're doing more play dates.
Speaker 3: And more they won't hang out, yeah.
Speaker 1: That you end up actually getting really friendly with different parents. So that's something I'm really looking forward to. And then the last one, which I stole really from u Kel, is having like at least I put one at least because not all of us are as I don't know, have as many friends as you do. To do something more regularly, but one thing and a month, like one social thing in the calendar a month for you to do well.
Speaker 2: Also, it's about finances, but just remember that a social thing doesn't have to cost anything. I make sure that I have, like if I haven't seen friends for a while, like at least a walk or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so true. It doesn't have to be.
Speaker 2: Anything that costs money. Although the tolls is still pretty fucking expensive to get.
Speaker 1: There, but you do get refunded.
Speaker 3: You do, which I love that.
Speaker 1: It's like force saving. So I wanted to end on some like legitimate tips, not that our tips weren't legitimate, but I found this non for profit called Center of Perinatal Excellence. It's COPE dot org dot au, and they had a big list, and I'll just touch on them really top line and we can put the link in the show notes. But it's how to combat loneliness and feelings of isolation that can come with motherhood and fatherhood. So one of them, bang on what you said before. Kel listening to the radio and music and podcasts or audio books, it can be really helpful when you're just hearing the voices of our wastes. Yes, yeah, and they say that it's an opportunity for mental and emotional stimulation and growth. So that's really a good thing to combat, especially if you're in that like very early kid phase. Schedule a daily outing, so like what I said about getting new coffee in the morning, or maybe going to the post office or you know, heading out for lunch, going to the park. Making sure you've got like one thing a day that you can have a meaningful interaction with someone else. Saying yes to offers of help. I think all of us are pretty bad at saying yes.
Speaker 3: People don't offer if they don't want.
Speaker 1: To exactly, and I feel like I'm always like no, no, no, it's fine, and then I'm like, fuck, that would have probably been really good, you know. Like I was actually speaking to my best girlfriend and she was like, oh, what time, Well, you know, when are you getting to Queensland. When I said, oh, you know, we're getting there on the stage, She's like, oh, if you want to leave roo with us overnight so you and Charlie can have like a little bit of a baby moon, like a night away, like we're so happy to take rue. And I actually said, you know what, that sounds really nice. I'm going to take you up on that offer, because I was like, I'm kidding, why did I offer?
Speaker 2: It would have been like, oh my god, that's so nice, Like I'm glad that she actually has taken me up on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, exactly. Another one was just tell others how you're feeling. Sometimes voicing it and saying stuff out loud can be really helpful, and then if people know that you're feeling a certain way, they'll make a bit more of an effort to check in and things like that.
Speaker 2: I love this so much, and as someone that's bills my guts to pretty much anyone that will listen, however I'm feeling that day. Shout out to Beth, a shitter who I now play netball with. Last night after a game.
Speaker 3: She just copped it.
Speaker 2: Actually, he sort of really unloaded on each other for about twenty minutes postgame.
Speaker 3: It was great.
Speaker 1: That's so nice. That's so nice. It was so nice.
Speaker 2: It was the only conversation I'd had all day, even though I'd actually like been into podcasts at Mama Mia and I'd like done all of this stuff, but it was my only proper conversation all day that was about life.
Speaker 1: About life and not work exactly. On that note, join groups and activity so an eddie team striking up conversation and then consider like a little project or activity or a hobby that you can just kind of pick up and leave just a sense of you time, even if you're because sometimes loneliness is just like having too much time around your kids almost like just you're yearning for a bit of you time and something that's like emotionally and mentally stimulating just for you. So I'll pop that link in the show notes so you can read through, because they do a lovely kind of summary of all of that stuff. But that's it today. I hope that everyone found that conversation interesting and a little bit less lonely as a result of it.
Speaker 2: Well, even if you've just been listening to us, hopefully that makes you feel a little bit less lonely. I know that people probably feel a bit weird about doing it, but if you're looking for a mum friend, please pop it in the group like that the group to be for that, like just say you can post it anonymously if you like, Hey, I'm in X area, I'm looking for a friend, or ask me and I'll pop it on the AESSR in.
Speaker 1: Star like yes that I'm not dear, use us.
Speaker 2: Use us, use it. And also on that note, we hear you. We have been hinting and promising a meet up for years pretty much it will happen, So keys going to take a bit of time off with her baby.
Speaker 3: She is having a baby. Com say that so weirdly.
Speaker 1: Because we still haven't kind of come to terms with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what we're thinking about like eventually we will like relaunch a season. We're still sort of like ironing out what we're going to do. It definitely won't be what is currently happening whilst she's on matt leave, but we are planning to do a meet up kind of like as a relaunch party for the season. So it will definitely be happening in the early stages of next year.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, we're excited about that. It's going to be a new era for us and with a big focus on community, live, community and live. I was trying to say in life, in real life meetups and more connection to you guys, because it's been I mean, we've been doing this for two years now, we haven't done something in person.
Speaker 3: That's because they're like really unorganized.
Speaker 2: Also, you're not unorganized, but you're well, you've just you get a lot of ailments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lots of things have happened. We're going to be better next year twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, well I've been good at like outsourcing, so you have been.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, that's the end of the show today.
Speaker 1: Guys, thank you so much for joining us today. If you love this episode, share it because loneliness is such a universal feeling, so I reckon there's probably someone out there who might enjoy this podcast.
Speaker 2: Even if it is just listening to our sometimes innoing voices exactly exactly, and remember to tag us at Kyries, at Kelly I'm score mccaren and at essr dot pod. This episode was produced by more Kelly mccaren key Resells, with audio production by Mattie Joanna will be back in your ears next week for the final episode of the season.
Speaker 3: Bye Bye,