Speaker 1: You're listening to a mother Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello, no filter listeners, it's Capline Brooke here. We're bringing back this conversation with best selling author Sally Hepworth, who many of you will now also know as one of the hosts of Unleashed, the podcast for gen X women. Sally is famous for writing deeply addictive novels about marriage, motherhood, betrayal, and family secrets, but in this episode, she turns that insight onto her own life. In a conversation that is funny, wise, vulnerable, and incredibly candid. Sally opened up about the breakdown of her twenty year marriage, co parenting, dating again, and why she believes this chapter of her life might actually be her happiest yet. It's one of those conversations that stays with you long after it ends, So if you missed it the first time round, or even if you didn't, it's worth another listen. Here is my conversation with Sally Hepworth.
Speaker 1: I have the scars and I do feel like I lost a layer of skin. You know, everything was raw, everything I felt things is more beautiful and soader. You know, is marriage good for women? I've thought about that a.
Speaker 2: Lot, you know, when someone seems like they've got it all together hmmm. For instance, best selling author, Gorgeous, Family, thriving career, beautiful to boot, and then you find out they've been quietly rebuilding their life from scratch. Well, that is Sally Hepworth. She sold millions of books around the world. She's written a best seller every year since twenty fifty. But what you might not know is that over the last couple of years, Sally Hepworth's life completely imploded. Today we talk about that divorce, grief, the shit box. Yes you'll find out what that is. We talk about female friendship and falling in love again when you swore you wouldn't. This is a conversation about what it means to let go of the life you thought you wanted and build a new life that actually fits. Sally Hepworth. You of the lemon water, the cleansing lemon water. Welcome to No Filter.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: And here we are both early in the morning.
Speaker 1: After thinking that it was ten am instead of nine.
Speaker 2: Both of us thought that what a miracle that we made up. And here we are. But what okay, you have shared so much of your self, but kind of in disguise. I think through your characters. Yeah, which have resonated with millions, literally millions of people, and you have had this is so remarkable, a best seller every year since twenty fifteen. So that's a lot. It's a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds like a lot. When it's going to be the tenth this year. In a couple of months, the my book will be yeah, right, and yeah it do. It feels amazing to think back to when I started writing in two thousand and nine, when I was pregnant with my first child.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: All I wanted was to get a novel published.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then oh that's a dream.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then the gold post kept moving. Then I wanted to make a career out of being an author, and then I wanted to become a best seller. You know, some people say they didn't dream of that, but I did. I had big dreams.
Speaker 2: And when like, how long had you had those dreams?
Speaker 1: Well, I suppose as soon as I got my foot in the door and I started to get published, you know what might not dream big. I mean, I didn't know that I was going to make it, but you have to kind of aim for something.
Speaker 2: I do always. I do like to say to friends miracles happen. There's no reason that it can't be the miracle for you. But the miracle is often hard work. Yeah, that's the miracle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I guess to write a novel, you're doing the hard work, right, like everyone who's written one. To get in the game, you have to do the hard work. And then there's the magic of you know, are your books going to resonate? Are people going to buy them? Are they going to in some cases hit at the right time that that's going to become popular. Sometimes that retroactively happens these days, and books take off years after they've come out. I don't know why, but I really do feel so fortunate to be while also allowing that, you know, I've done the work and I do think that I'm past imposter syndrome. I think I'm good at it now. I really enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Oh what a good feeling. Yeah. When did that come? Was it as a result of outside affirmation or is it something that comes from inside?
Speaker 1: Great question. I suspect probably started to come after a little bit of outside affirmation.
Speaker 2: That does help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would like to say it was internal. I think by the time I wrote my fifth book, I remember that was. The Mother in Law was the book that kind of, you know, broke out, as they say, and then each book since then has kind of built on it. And sometime between then and now, I just started to think to myself, when you know, I've written a couple of short stories recently, and I've never written a short story. I mean before I wrote the first one, and I remember Amazon approaching me to write it and I said, yeah, okay, I'll do it, and then I hung up and I immediately googled how to write a short story because I thought, yeah, I can do it. Well, of course I can do it, And that snuck up on me because I didn't always feel that way.
Speaker 2: Of Course, The Mother in Law was a really interesting one because it showed that you have a capacity which I think you always have to do as a writer. It showed you have a real capacity to see the other side of someone, and you do that with all of your characters obviously, but that was a really seminal one because I think it's so hot, Yeah, isn't it?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 2: Sticky? A mother in law? And yet you always were your handling of the concept and even in your conversations around it were very understanding of what it means to be a mother in.
Speaker 1: Law, I hope. So that's always been the interesting part of writing for me is there are books, I assume that have been written about awful mothers in law, and movies and monsters in law and jokes and jokes, and so what was interesting to me about tackling it was to, you know, to reverse engineer or to look at the other side, and what if you know mothers in law aren't awful, because they're not. I mean, my mum is a mother in law and she's beautiful. I adore her. I also know that she irritates my sisters a lot. Sometimes.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, there's always that that kind of tension, there's that rab A point that you've made is that that a mother in law is in a unique position because she loves the same man more woman, daughter or son, but has no say in it. The people that are trust together. But I'm curious, particularly about your understanding of human names, which I believe to be immense well just partly through your research on every character and situation, and you have had your characters often have confronted every type of rupture you know, And now this is what I'm curious about because you've encountered that own rupture yourself, and you've changed your life drastically since the last time you were on no filter with me, the last two times you're on, how has that been You're now divorced.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, look, all of these experiences, they become a part of you, and so they leak out onto the page, I think. But I will say that every you know, my books in a way have followed the trajectory of things that I've gone through, motherhood, you know, even not being able to get pregnant and all of those things. And now with the divorce, I think that's been the most significant thing that's happened to me. I mean, and I say this acknowledging that this makes me very lucky, but it's the most significant thing that's happened to me in my life, the.
Speaker 2: Most difficult thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's just coming up to two years ago. Sorry, it's just gone over two years since we separated. And I was thinking about it, knowing that we were going to talk about it today, and I was thinking, am I, How am I about that? Like? Am I over it? Am I? And I'm not? I mean, it's I wonder if it'll be one of those things like the grief of death, that it changes.
Speaker 2: But it's always with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder. I mean, I don't know. And as you say, I'm so curious about people. I'm curious about you know, the last two years marriage, you know, I've been looking around it, marriages and thinking what makes a marriage work, what makes them fail? What makes people so angry after they get divorced, what makes people nasty? What makes a good divorce?
Speaker 2: And how is your divorce? By the way, Look a little bit of everything, I guess along the way, but if overall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look what you know. The thing that I have learned from this is that whenever someone would get divorced in my life, prior to it being me, I used to want to know what happened. And when I asked that question, I expected the answer to be a sentence or two sentences, and something that attributed blame to one person. There was a victim and a perpetrator. You know. I wanted to hear he had an affair or she was crazy, which has been clear cut yes, and so you immediately know that's what happened. And and what I've discovered since then and in my own case, this is true. I mean, you might be able to, for the sake of conversation, boil it down to one or two things, but ultimately you could write a book. It's not one or two sentences. You could write a book, and maybe I will.
Speaker 2: Well, it is. It is fascinating, and because it's such a common experience and for it to be so traumatic, yes, and so common and yet not really, I don't think it's really given the full weight that it deserves, the significance in a person's life.
Speaker 1: I agree strongly, and in fact, look, I don't know if my experience is true of everyone, and of course it's not. Everyone has a different experiences. But I was so knocked to my ass from it, and even myself. If I heard someone was divorced before it happened to me, I would have said, oh, that's a shame. It certainly wasn't on par with you know, other terrible things that happened to people, like a disease, like.
Speaker 2: But it's a terrible thing and it is kind of a death. Yeah, it's a death of I mean all those things that lead you to get married in the first place, Yes, the hope, the love, the starry eyed whatever it was, it's the antithesis of that. So it is in some ways that it is.
Speaker 1: And on top of all that, I mean, that is the big part. And then on top of that there's the life up people. You know that there's worries about financial worries, there's emotional concerns for the children, children, there's you know, I mean that part is so hard, that you're going through something so difficult, and yet you have to do the best parenting of your life, you know, in order to hopefully get your children.
Speaker 2: Well, how do you do that? Because like you've got through three children, got two teenagers and an eight year old, I do I mean people like to say that children are resilient. I think that underestimates often the impact of major emotional shifts for children. I think we like to say they're resilient because it makes it easier for us to kind of push through what we have to push through with. I don't even think that they're resilient. What they are is adaptable and good at hiding stuff that they might be feeling because they're all antena yes.
Speaker 1: Or showing it in different way. I mean, my daughter, my youngest was six at the time and so I saw her dealing with it in ways that were not you know, she wasn't expressing it directly, but she was having a lot of trouble with you, nightmares and just behavioral stuff, whereas my old to and my older too, and you'rerodivergent, and so that had its own host of things.
Speaker 2: Did they process it differently?
Speaker 1: Yeap?
Speaker 2: How could you like? In what way?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: Even between the two of them, my son and my daughter, they prosed it, sessed it differently. My son didn't talk about it at all. In fact, it's funny when we told him, we said, have you got any questions? And we told him alone, just because of the word, and we told the girls separately, and we went through it and he said, if you got any questions, and he said, where will the dog be living?
Speaker 2: Actually a very good question, yes, And so where does the dog we live?
Speaker 1: We have a divorced dog who shared, We share custody, so the dog goes with the kids, which was something that they wanted and it has worked really well. The other thing that worked well in the early days is that we did birds nest parenting.
Speaker 2: The Swedish is that the Swedish model the Danish something everything good comes from.
Speaker 1: So because we had the family home, as a lot of people do, it was going to take time to sell. So we got a little apartment not far away and we would do week on and week off. One of us would would leave and go to the apartment and the other one would stay in the house with So the idea is that children are not They stayed throut ya right, and that you know, looking back, that was horrible for us or horrible for me, It was amazing for the kids. And I would do it again for the kids.
Speaker 2: And what why was that horrible for you?
Speaker 1: Like just the the packing up of your life every.
Speaker 2: Friday, which is normally what the kids have to do.
Speaker 1: Yes, and that's what I was going to say. It really gave me such and that's one of the best things from it, such an understanding of what they have to go through, and we delayed that by a year by by us doing it. It's made me so much more sympathetic, so much more likely to you know, if they've forgotten their something will be in the car, you know, driving it off to school, which you know how it feels. Yeah, Hey, who was it harder for do you think in that nesting bird nesting time. Who was more adaptable with that? Obviously it was hard for you. How was Christian, your husband with it? I also also I think not great. It's a strange thing as well because the apartment that we had was very much like an airbn but it didn't feel like home.
Speaker 2: No, and because it didn't really belong to either of you.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: And it's also I have to say, it's a privilege to be able to afford to have it, and it was a small apartment, but not everyone has the ability to know that's.
Speaker 2: Right to do that. The other thing about divorce divorce is expenses.
Speaker 1: Expensive, and there's an uncertain period which is just really difficult, and sharing space with that person is so difficult and I found that really really hard.
Speaker 2: It's almost like, in a way that when you're navigating the divorce course with someone and there are children involved, so you have to be very mindful of that that in a way you have to work together so intensely. Do you at some point think why are we getting divorced if we can actually manage a divorce.
Speaker 1: Look, I think the thing that happened with us, which I see happening with so many people, is that you start. I started off with a desire to do everything perfectly, you know, this thing of okay, this our life's going to change, the children's life is going to change. I read all the books you know on children, and I quickly realized that that wasn't going to work. That we weren't going to be working together like that, Christian and I and that took some adjusting. And it's actually the thing that when I look back, I wish I had realized earlier that we're not married anymore, and so we don't necessarily we're not going to be on the same page always. In an ideal world, co parenting is wonderful. I now have a lot of divorced friend I've sought out divorced people because I'm so traumatized. I've got a divorced group of women that we call ourselves the Golden Girls, and we share information. And in every case, even when they've come to the other side and now can co parent, there's a part in the middle that we call the mean part. And it helped me to call it that because it was a part and something that had a beginning and an end, and it wasn't personal, and it wasn't you know. And I think every divorce has a mean part.
Speaker 2: I agree, and with girlfriends in mine even I ended a relationship after nine years and we weren't married, but we were embedded. And particularly in my experience, the mean part often comes around money, yep. And it doesn't matter if you're breaking up with the nicest guy in the world. There's something about money suddenly that really brings out that.
Speaker 1: But it's not even this is my thing because I think about these things a lot. I think it is security, you know, at which money represents a lot of security. I think it's supurity edom. Yeah, and fear, you know, you don't know, and you go from being even if you have plenty of money, you're suddenly half You've got half as much or whatever that looks like. And that's scary. And if you're you know, I'm in my mid forties Christians fifty, and so that is a very real fear all of a sudden, you know, Am I prepared for retirement or am I? Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And I was in the really lucky position that I've never stepped out of work. I earn a good income.
Speaker 2: Best seller every year since twenty fifteen.
Speaker 1: Which you know, I mean that sounds wonderful. It's still you know, you look at the numbers and I've got three kids, cours and you go. But I definitely, I definitely was happy to you know, to keep things nice. I was like, yep, you know, I wasn't fighting. But I also think that you can do everything right and it can still be.
Speaker 2: Hard, of course, and maybe it has to be. Maybe it does maybe to you know, cleave apart what God put together, do you know what I mean? Or whatever the saying is, maybe it has to have that component to it.
Speaker 1: Look, I mean, I'm sure there are people who've got some whimsical, wonderful divorce, but then you know, why are they getting divorced?
Speaker 2: Are there any in your extended group of girlfriends?
Speaker 1: Now there's a few, you know, sort of five years plus down the track that now are working well together. Right. I had to and look, I actually this was the best thing I ever did. I had to accept that I was in charge of what happened in my house and Christian was in charge of what happened in his house. And it's the most unnatural thing when you are a parent, even to you know, not have your kids with you half the time. But to let go of things that are really important in your life, like this is what time they go to bed. Things you're used to having control over this, This is what they eat, this is they shower. There are so many things that you have to that kind of stuff, bedtime, showering, whatever. I felt so much better when I stopped, and you know, you keep it to the important things, and there weren't any of those, you know, like they were alive and looked after well by their dad. And suddenly I unclenched, you know, And that too, is a really important thing to sort of letting go of the marriage that you do kind of have to understand that when you're married you work together as a team. Of course you should, and now I think we're much better at teamwork. But that was a bit of a process too, of just going well, you know, when not controlling. You know, we can't control each other anymore. Maybe I look a lot too at my part. You know, I don't like that idea that you know, he's a narcissist, she's crazy. Everyone thinks their X is crazy, you're a narcissist. I don't think that. I see he does. He thinks I'm crazy.
Speaker 2: I think that.
Speaker 1: I think that both of us made mistakes, and especially in the early days, I was much more interested in finding out what I what my part was, because that's the only part I comes back to control. I can't control why he's doing stuff that I don't agree with or why, and it's not my business anymore, only in so far as it affects my children. My role is to look at me, to heal and to hopefully not bring that kind of those difficulties into my life with my children.
Speaker 2: After the break Sally unpacks the part she played in the breakdown of her marriage. What do you think the role was that you played.
Speaker 1: I think that the let me step back. I always wanted to be married, you know, I remember that from a youngish age.
Speaker 2: Oh that's interesting that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I liked the idea of having a partner. My brother's twins. I wonder if that had.
Speaker 2: Something to do with it younger or older older brothers and.
Speaker 1: Mum said, when we were little, I used to say, where's my other one? You know, like there was something missing. And I don't know, like maybe I'm reading too deeply into it, but I loved the idea of having a partner for life. I mean, come back to it. But I have so many partners for life in my girlfriends, and that's the sort of full circle that I've come to. But I was looking for that, and I had an idea of what my life was going to look like, and it was going to be a partner, it was going to be kids, you know, maybe some travel, career for me, career, you know. I had those kind of fairly maybe normalish, you know, traditional ideas. And I do wonder now if I was really holding on to something idyllic that maybe couldn't match up to what real life looked like. And when things did get tough, which they did, you know, several times through the marriage, as they always do, I found that really difficult. I found the I just didn't understand why it wasn't looking like the picture in my mind of what it should be like. And disagreements I found really hard. I wouldn't think, oh, we're disagreeing about this. I would think, oh, my god, a relationship. I've married the wrong person.
Speaker 2: This is terrible.
Speaker 1: I really see that now, and I'm in another relationship now, and that's something that I've really changed. And I see how communication clear communication. And also I think keeping the peace was something that was really important to me because I wanted I wanted harmony and happiness. And I think my mum was also a real peacekeeper in our family.
Speaker 2: Which is an interesting thing because a peacekeepers beautiful thing, but a peacekeeper can.
Speaker 1: Also be you can breed resentment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, because you're subjugating every natural instinct Ye to just preserve this piece on behalf of who.
Speaker 1: Of course, yeah, and it was it was often, you know, I was holding things in that should have come out. I think my career played a role. And again I don't think it's as simplistic as saying, and a lot of people will say, do you think that men can't handle a woman's success or versions of that, and I always think, I don't know if it's that simple, as simple as that. I know Christian was quite supportive of me doing well and wanted that It's maybe to do with purpose and drive. I think that then, you know, I was at home with the kids early in our relationship, and I was writing as well.
Speaker 2: And then you swapped and he was.
Speaker 1: He was the state home parent, right, which.
Speaker 2: My husband also was for a long time. Right. So I'm very curious about this dynamic the interesting one. Firstly, there's the external. To us, it made sense and at the time I was doing breakfast radio and it made sense for us rather than outsourcing to someone. But there is something about it externally the world is do you do do other?
Speaker 1: Mean?
Speaker 2: Even? Yeah, Yeah, it's weird, isn't it. It is so it's a strange thing. It takes an exceptional man to take on that role. Yeah. In my case, my husband, at some point we could tell he was done with it. Yeah, he was just done with it, I mean fair enough. Yes, And we had four under six, and that was a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, look, I and we both because I was not home. I was working. We went from Christian had the main job as the earner when we were first together.
Speaker 2: Right, what was his career, right, you know?
Speaker 1: And he was very good at that successful. We went moved over to Canada together because he was sent over there, and then we had the babies, and then I was at home with them, and then I was also writing, and then we were both working and we had the kids in a combination of childcare. I had some flexibility. I found it difficult. I still felt like I was carrying the mental load though, and together with working, I was burnt out, so also not my best.
Speaker 2: Did you know you were?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, you don't know at the time, do you well?
Speaker 1: The way I knew something. I've got this memory of being on tour in America and.
Speaker 2: Which book was this?
Speaker 1: Which give me an era?
Speaker 2: I think it worth the era.
Speaker 1: I think it was the Soul Mage right, okay, because it was right after Mum and Mia came out with their podcast But are you happy that Claire Stevens was hosting? And I saw it and I thought, I looked at it on my phone. I would listen to all the Australian podcasts while I was there, just to keep on top, and I thought no. When it said but are you happy, I thought nuh, And it just dropped in yeah. And again it wasn't that moment. There was a series of moments and things that happened that led to it. But that was the first time I thought, huh, because objectively everything was going so well, you know, and my career was was, you know, wonderful, and my kids and the interesting thing to jump forward a little bit is that once my marriage ended and I got through, you know, the kind of early part of the pain of that. One thing that I guess I felt quite good about was that my life was actually everything in my life was wonderful. I've got this beautiful group of girlfriends that we've been friends since we were ten.
Speaker 2: This is separate to the Golden Girls. Some crossover there is some.
Speaker 1: In fact, because as soon as I became divorced, I didn't really know anyone who was divorced, and so I sought out, Yeah, it is, isn't it. And that's I guess maybe part of what was it a part of what made it hard for me. I don't know one element. One of the Golden Girls was my friend's older sister, and so I nabbed her, and then a friend of hers, and then one friend of mine, and then there was a girl I went to school with who has heard she got divorced. And I hadn't spoken to her for years and years and years, And as soon as I heard she got divorced, I messaged her and said, I just wanted to say that if you're not okay, I know we haven't spoken and this might be really presumptuous, I'm happy to come and talk to you. We can have a coffee. I just felt like I I wanted to acknowledge since I'd gone through it, how awful it was. And so together we were started The Golden which is mostly now memes about being a single parent, which is so funny, and sometimes it's a how do I deal with this? To do with the children, or how do I deal with We developed something which we call the ship box from The Golden Girls, and the ship box is an actual box. They physical box that the kids put their shit in, not their like their stuff that goes to their dad's house. I was like, how do you and someone said, we have a ship box, and so they put it. It's just a box that goes inside the door. And the day that they're going to their dad's house, you say to the kids, put your stuff in the ship box, and they put it in, and then that gets taken to.
Speaker 2: Their dumb we've forgotten the ship.
Speaker 1: And they'll say, I'll say, where's your shoes?
Speaker 2: It's they're in the shipbox. How big is the ship box like.
Speaker 1: A laundry basket. It's so those kind of wondrous things basic come out of The Golden Girls. But to link back, I guess I realized, Okay, my marriage has ended but I've got these girlfriends who really had stepped up for me in a way that you know, my first night in the apartment after we broke up, they all came and slept over. You know. One of them arrived with a box of tools. Tools.
Speaker 2: You know, they just used the tools to do it.
Speaker 1: Is a.
Speaker 2: Girlfriends of mine who got drilled. And then there comes a certain sort of pride in I can.
Speaker 1: Fix the rod.
Speaker 2: Yep, I know, and it is very satisfying.
Speaker 1: It's extraordinary the things that you can do that you just didn't do if you lived.
Speaker 2: In a traditional sort of compartmentalization of what needs to be done in it.
Speaker 1: In the family life, I can clean I have a pool at the house that I'm renting at the moment, I can clean the pool. I always thought that pools were some like foreign thing that only men could understand. And you know, because they've got chemicals, and it's.
Speaker 2: Always a pool boy, the poor boy. It's always a poor boy.
Speaker 1: So afford a poor boy. Maybe one day fingers crossed, you've got one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's interesting because I think you said that marriage is maybe not good for women.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh look, this has been a two year deep dive into my.
Speaker 2: Two years is not long, though you've really and compressed it or had experienced a lot in that two years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like I say, I don't think I'm over it and over it's a funny thing. I am in a new relationship and I'm very happy. It's not that I'm not over him. I'm I'm happy. I feel like I you know, I have a great life. I have my career, I have my girlfriends, I have my family, I have my children. Life is so wonderful. I have the scars, and I do feel like I lost a layer of skin. You know, everything was raw, everything I felt things is more beautiful and sadder and so my you know, is marriage good for women? I've thought about that a lot. And I also looked around in the early days at relationships and thought whose marriage would I want, you know, looking at my friends, looking at my parents, looking at and I did find some there were some relationships that I thought I wanted. They weren't the majority, like I had to seek them out. Acknowledging that you never know what truly is going on in someone else's real you know.
Speaker 2: That reminds me of a girlfriend of mine who had a brutal divorce. She said one of the worst things that she experienced was that when friends would hear she was getting divorced, they were like, they started talking about how much they hated their husbands, and she said it was just like suddenly they felt like they had a outleaish to say yeah, permission. And she said at that period it was the worst thing because what she actually needed was to believe in romantic love yeah, not to have everyone go I wish I was you. And as she said, also she hadn't done anything magical. She was going through something really difficult. Yeah, And so they also had the capacity too. She's like, why are you telling me this and not addressing it with the person that you're so happy to slag off to me? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing. I think. I see that a lot. I see a lot of unhappy women in relationships and presumably unhappy men. It's just that I spend more time with women, and I do wonder if this whole idea of marriage, like it makes me think, what in an ideal world, if you're unhappy, you could move on without this whole But you look at it and think, oh, I can't. I mean in that time where I was burnt out and everything and I knew and there were a few things that made me go, Okay, this, this is it, this is the end for you or yeah, for the relationship that I couldn't look away anymore. But I think I really understand why if you're not pushed to that point, why you might go, oh, it's too I can't go through that because it's so hard. There is happiness on the other side, but there's also there's also you are changed.
Speaker 2: I'm changed in the nature of a relationship though a lot a long term. How long were you married? Sixteen sixteen years to get to it, I'm twenty one, twenty congratulations.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you know, well sometimes for everyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, correct. So part of what I imagine is one of the things that you have to work out for yourself is in any long term relationship, it will have peaks and it will have ebbs, And so you know that you've worked through ebbs before, how do you know that it's not an ebb and that it's something that you can't that you're not going to then be able to surf the next wave onto the beach with.
Speaker 1: It's when they are not interested in working with you.
Speaker 2: To fix it and for whatever reason.
Speaker 1: Whatever reason, and when you feel like you have tried everything in your power and it's accept this the way that it is, or try something else, and it's your last alternative, That's what it was for me. Every relationship is different and they have different reasons. It might be I don't know.
Speaker 2: But the feelings are the same, are they? The circumstances might be. Whoever said some writer, one of those one of those who was it that said every happy family resembles each other, but every unhappy family is uniquely unhappy? Who was that? Someone? Someone? Clear? But I do often think about that because there's a there's just a patainer of happiness that you know, you might live in different circumstances or whatever, But happy is happy. Yeah, but unhappiness has so many flavors and textures, each more gruesome than the last.
Speaker 1: Yeah they do. And yeah, look, it's funny because I came out of that experience that the divorce and I and maybe this makes me very basic, and maybe everyone does this, but I certainly wasn't thinking that I was going to reap partner.
Speaker 2: I you were like, I'm not doing that again, And.
Speaker 1: Even without not from a bitter place. It was almost the opposite. It was from a place of I'm so content and I heard I've heard a lot of women say that they have been lonely after they've got divorced or they've had these certain difficulties. I didn't feel that I was never lonely. I was surrounded by love. I mean, which is just so bet And it's funny. I would say I was lucky, And I remember one of my friends saying, because I said, I've got an army of support, and my friends said to me, You're not lucky. You've got an army because you fought in the battalion. You know, you fought for us, and where are you for you? And I thought that's nice.
Speaker 2: Next, Sally rethinks what love really looks like thanks to the women who carried her through heartbreak. I think that when a relationship is failing and it's one that you're really committed to, you tend to try and put resources into it to the exclusion of other relationships. So I think sometimes people pop out like a meerkat to a very bleak savannah. Yep.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I did have that difficulty, which was to do with all of the horrible stuff about ending a relationship, but my life outside of that, I thought, well, this is good. I actually have got quite a good landscape. And I was thinking more and more that why is romantic love the pinnacle? I have got these women in my life, I mean so many, but particularly the ones that I've been friends with since I was ten. They're my life partners. They're the ones who have been with me before any of us met our partners. They are with me after partners. They've been through me with me, you know, through birth, and we've all been together. Recently, one of those friends, her father died, and I remember I went up with her when she did the eulogy and we looked back and I saw all of our girlfriends were in the front row, and I thought, it's something moved me about it. I thought, usually, you know, you see the family and the parents and whatever, and no, that was us, that was and that made complete sense to me.
Speaker 2: Your significant ones.
Speaker 1: They were, We've always been a family. And even if there was an is and there now is a romantic love again, my life partner partners are those women.
Speaker 2: And are there any men in that number?
Speaker 1: Not in that I have got male friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have those relationships change.
Speaker 1: Well, one of my best male friends has been divorced twice.
Speaker 2: Okay, he was in the.
Speaker 1: Golden Girls for a little while, but then he couldn't handle it because there were all these memes about how we didn't like men. So he was like, I also, my brothers wear incredibly closed and they were huge supports to me throughout that. I'm not a hater of men in any way. I love men.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just always it seems, you know, maybe it's our times, or maybe it's been ever thus Really I don't know, but there's such a gold mine the female friends. Yeah, and it doesn't seem to be the same crossover with me. Yeah, I mean, I mean they're nourishing in a different way they are, and it's good. I do believe very much in yin and yang, and I'm not fully on board with women. We're fantastic. We're fantastic, and men are fact, which seems to be some kind of very very much, very much. And I'm like, when did we start to think we were so perfect? It's true, it's not helpful. And I, by the way, I do think that about myself. That's how I recognize it. What you think you have to pull yourself up and go hang on a minute. Yeah, why am I always trying to knock the top off this scab as though? Yeah, I'm the dermatologist. I'm not the dermatolic.
Speaker 1: We're the dermatologists of our own lives.
Speaker 2: Well we are, and it's good for someone healing.
Speaker 1: Someone's got to be healed. The ointment.
Speaker 4: Made me write.
Speaker 1: My thoughts on men are separate from my thoughts about romantic love. I think that is what has changed for me, as romantic love being the relationship to end all relationships, the one who you know you fell out on your paperwork, the one who you know when you die. They're the chief mourner, you know, all of those things.
Speaker 2: That notebook, yep, the crying in the rain. Romantic love.
Speaker 1: You can have that, right like I've got the beautiful, beautiful man that that came out of thinking I was never going to meet anyone. I wasn't looking for anyone. I was you know, my friends were all pressuring me to go on Tinder or bumble or whatever it was. No, I don't want, you know, I'm happy. And then I met this in real life.
Speaker 2: Now, in real life, because that does not happen now not even in novels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. Well, so this is a good story. So I actually did have one date before I met Dan, who's my partner. I had one date that was from whatever the app was. That was when i'd been away on with all my girlfriends. We go away to Nusah every year and we have a girl's trip, and they were it was for them, you know how you married friends are just desperate for you know, there's a single go on there and there up and I've ben swiping the wrong way and I'm looking at some guy called Shane with no teeth that I've just you know. And I had one date and it actually it went quite well. I mean it was not I wasn't looking for relationship, but it was. He was a gentleman. It was you know, we had a nice.
Speaker 2: Did you do it in NUSA?
Speaker 1: No, they set it up for winter. So I came back from NSA the next night, went out a night date. It was like six o'clock for a drink. It's all changed since our days. Yes, so nervous. He also didn't live in Melbourne, which I thought was better because I didn't you know, I just wanted to have a nice time and I don't know what. I don't think I wanted it, Okay, great question. I wore jeans and a like nice sparkly ballet flat and a black I was wearing a white top and all the girls are like, no, you've got to wear.
Speaker 2: It's been a very heavily workshop.
Speaker 1: And I think I had on a leather jacket or something like that. I felt very unlike me.
Speaker 2: It wasn't kind of thing, almost like you'd put on a costume, yes, which is the Sally goes on a first day costures. Yeah, in her forties. Yeah, look, and it was.
Speaker 1: He was so lovely. He was really handsome and made me feel great. And I went away from it thinking that was really nice. I don't know if i'd do it again. Right. So then I was in getting my boatox and he was in there, and my lady was doing her botox and I was telling her about it, and you know, they're like hairdresses. She's like, tell me more, and then she said, you know what, I've got a friend who's been separated recently and he's gorgeous and you should meet him. And I was like, oh, I don't know, and then she said, can I give him your number, and I said all right, and then he messaged me, oh, I know. And you know what was funny is that he he said, so he lived away, lived in on the Gold Coast, but he was from Melbourne, yally, and he said, I'm going to be in Melbourne this week. Do you want to have dinner? And I said yes? And I was thinking, I don't know if I will or not, like I was very on the fence. And on the day I thought, oh, I don't know if I'm going to go, and but I just ad the last night I thought, yeah, I'll go. And it's funny. I found out later that he'd just flown down for the day, like imagine.
Speaker 2: And look it was, he flew down just for the day.
Speaker 1: God love him.
Speaker 2: Oh that's amazing. What was his hunch, Well.
Speaker 1: He said that he had heard about me from this friend and he cyberstalked me and thought that I looked nice. Yeah right, And it wasn't you know, it wasn't sparks. It was just you seem like a really nice person, and I really I'd like to get to know you more like that really kind of mature and and then it grew over I think by date three, I was thinking, yeah, this is I'm getting a.
Speaker 2: Bit swept off. How was the geography He's moved back to Melbourne?
Speaker 1: Oh okay after how many dates? Well, no, it was about nine months and so there was a nice period of us going back and forth. But he worked, he had worked in Melbourne, so he'd becoming regular anyway. And it was lovely and I I'm so happy. I'm so different in this relationship. It's amazing what way I am the poor thing, because you know, I now I do not let one thing go that annoys me.
Speaker 2: Ah right, okay, so the peacekeepers, I just.
Speaker 1: Now to have a chat all the time. Now you know that thing that you did, I don't like that, right, And I encourage him to do that too, and he's so good about like what I love. I think the most masculine trait that exists is for you to give them feedback and for them to say, oh, okay, ah, thank you for telling me that, you know, and not being threatened at all or defensive or you know. I just think that's so so you're so sure of yourself and secure to be able to to take that on board and not feel emasculated or just.
Speaker 2: To actually have a curiosity.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I realized that's all I need. I don't even need them to immediately change. It's not that they won't do it again. It's that they've said, you're giving you know, you're telling me what you want, and I want to know that you know I'm not. I want to know what makes you happy. I want to I hear you, I see you.
Speaker 2: I want to work that kind of softens you. Yes.
Speaker 1: All you need, I think, is to know that someone wants that for you, that they're in it for you as well. And it's not just that that's been really healing for me because I am like that, like I will I have. I have a lot of faults, but I I really if someone says something or if I do the wrong thing, I will say I'm so sorry, you know mea culpa and I don't feel threatened by that. And so when people do get defensive, and that was one of the problems in my marriage is that you don't get anywhere. You know you you know I'm trying to tell you that I feel this way, Well, I don't do that, and by the way, it's you know, then it goes nowhere and you just park it and it continues to simmer. Whereas I feel like we have really in the new relationship, we've really got to know each other and find our stride and our own rhythm together because we do listen and and you know, and work together. We want to.
Speaker 2: But you don't live together, No, and you won't.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. Look, I always say I'll never do something, and then you know, five minutes later. I think what's really important to me now is that I have my three kids. I've got my own house. I want them to have their house that is just mum's, you know, not even it's their house. I don't want Mum and Dan's house or you know. I don't know what's going to happen at Christian's house. But I want them to have a space that's theirs. And they don't need any more people. They don't need to be blending families or to I just don't want.
Speaker 2: That take on some other emotional load.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want that for them. And so maybe there's a time in the future where they've gone and who knows. You know, I'm really happy in this.
Speaker 2: How do you think your writings changed now?
Speaker 1: Some writers said once I don't know who it is, obviously, we know the sayings. We don't know the writer. But they said these characters are a third someone you know, a third made up and a third yourself. And while I don't necessarily, what I think is myself is the narrative that comes on the page. It's not necessarily a character or a thing, but it's the wisdom that I'm searching for in that book. Yes, and I have a new book coming out later this year. It's called Mad Maybe.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've read Mad Maybe or part way through with Maybe, which is so different than anything that you've done. I think so. Well, just I love having a character who's in her eighties. I find that, yeah, just amazing. But also that we get to see her in her youth. It's really interesting. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I haven't had a lot of people read it yet, so it's been I love hearing that in the Yeah, in the early it's in a like a binder. Oh they sent your boundary, Yeah, I've got Yeah, I don't know what that's. Well, that's even different from advanced reader copy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I've seen the cover online and I'm like, ah, that's what that's how it's going to look.
Speaker 1: Well, I think So the big thing that's come out of my life experience is that book in its essence, And it's funny because you read the blurb and it's about an eighty one year old curmudgeonly you know, I had so much joy writing that character who finds her neighbor dead and no one suspects anything until they find out that she, in fact was not a serial killer, like was convicted of murders when she was fifteen years old, and we go back in time to find that out. But the book, unlikely as it seems, is about friendship, and it's that comes, of course, off the heels of my These last two years have been about friendship for me, so much hurt and everything, but the way that friends can save you. And this book what I wanted to explore was can one friend save you? Is that enough? And what if you don't have one friend? What happens to you then? And so I don't.
Speaker 2: It's funny because she's been the sort of because she's so prickly and combative, it's almost like she's wanted to keep the world at bay. But she's also you can't help but love her good.
Speaker 1: Well, she's vulnerable, like even the people that want to keep the world at bay, they're probably the most vulnerable. There's a reason that you do that. As humans, we want to connect. And yeah, like there is a kind of hope, a layered story about that, and all of that comes from my experience over the last couple of years and the importance that friendship has. And it's dedicated to my best friend Sash, who has just been diagnosed for the second time with triple negative breast cancer. She's going through treatment at the moment. Again, we it's it's it's it's been so difficult. But the thing, and she talks about it all the time, is I've got my girls, you know, I've got and we just know what to do and we just rally and we support and we'll get her through it. And and there is the it's so horrible and it's so difficult for her, you know, it's so difficult to watch her go through that. But at the same time, and this is what I felt about my divorce, there's this beautifulness of it, of the way that we just move around each other at these difficult times, and that's the stuff that it just moves me in a way that I don't think any I don't know, Like, I don't know why that love doesn't have that same company.
Speaker 2: My girlfriend of mine had breast catcer last year before last, and it does. What you do is you you can't hold anything back, no, because it's a currency you've just got to spend. Yeah, and sometimes the watching everyone bring it is, like you said, just beautiful, cruel but beautiful. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I always think, look to the helpers, you know. Another one I don't know who said that. Someone did say that, look to the helper.
Speaker 2: Who was it?
Speaker 1: It was someone that was not a writer.
Speaker 2: I think that was like a Michelle ob that.
Speaker 1: She always says the good things. But yeah, oh I don't have it. No, I'm fine. That's what friendship is. It's the hard and it's the beautiful. And I don't know anyone who's you know, I'm forty five and I don't know any forty five year olds that haven't been through something really difficult. And we know more difficult stuff is going to come, you know, hopefully, because that means we're alive, and that's more difficult things.
Speaker 2: I always said that in yoga class. I'm always like, yeah, because there are always if you're discomfort yes, yes, it's about discomfort, and so they'll often say the temporary discomfort in the in this class or in the practice of yoga helps you take on the discomforts that are coming for you in life.
Speaker 1: I can't wait, but.
Speaker 2: It is true.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I heard a similar saying, which was, you know, it was something to do with waves. So it's you know, you stand in the water in the ocean and the waves come. You know, hopefully you get a gap between them, but your role is to learn how to swim, because you know the next one is coming. You know, you can't just get bold, you know, if you do, just get bold over. But if you learn to swim, then so that each time you learn a bit more than you're going to be ready for the ones that are coming.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's very interesting, because that is I like that. Sometimes I think that we don't allow ourselves, or we don't emphasize enough how much agency we play in our own lives.
Speaker 1: Or how much opportunity there is given.
Speaker 2: As you said earlier, like it's a privilege to be able to even think like that, really, because some people are just bowled over by waves and can't even get back on their knees. But you've got to teach yourself to swim, you do, and really probably teach yourself, as you have done with your girlfriends, to not only save yourself, but try and save someone else while you're at it.
Speaker 1: That is almost the I think it's the key to getting through something is to focus on someone else, right, And I you know, as terrible as as you know my friend's illness is, I do think that it pulled me out of a depression. I think I've been in a mild depression for a couple of years, and as soon as I knew that she needed me, Yeah, it does. Yeah, you know, then you you're out of it and there's something more important than you. And I think that is the key to you know, you steal yourself and you heal, but then look out to the world again, because it's not you know, you can spend so much time looking inward and there's self love and everything, but actually sometimes the most loving thing is to look outwards and go and help someone.
Speaker 2: Else because also then that reminds you once again of what you're capable of. Yeah, it's a strange gift to be given.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and it's almost you know, having friendship is such a blessing. But it's even better to be a friend, you know. That actually is a better feeling in a way.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, someone said it's better to get then received would.
Speaker 1: Have been someone smart. Just attribute them to like random people people that is, so let us know who said them all.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's Sally Hepworth's future?
Speaker 1: Well on the tenth of August, my first book to TV.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, serious coming so many at once because it's the Family next Door. Also Darling Girls.
Speaker 1: So Darling Girls has been optioned and that is currently a writer has been attached and she's working on the script.
Speaker 2: Was that that Amy Pohler thing who.
Speaker 1: Amy Polar optioned? The mother in law? The mother in law and the soulmate has also been optioned.
Speaker 2: I saw that with Asher.
Speaker 1: Yes, Asha Ketty is attached, which is amazing and she's going to produce. And also my short story Uncharted Waters has been.
Speaker 5: Short stories that you googled how to write a short.
Speaker 1: Story, and Blossom, which is Nicole Kidman's production company has optioned that. The thing about the options is that they come in that's so exciting, and then it goes quiet. Yeah yeah, and sometimes nothing happens or sometimes a lot of things are happening behind the scenes and I'm getting on with my life.
Speaker 2: So optioning is when people a production company will say we love this, we want to do something with it.
Speaker 1: You enter into an arrangement.
Speaker 2: But as we know, it could take years for things to get produced.
Speaker 1: Rore and nothing can happen. What they do is they buy the rights to have no one else look at it for a period of time, so it's theirs to try and get it off the ground, to try.
Speaker 2: Also landing all at once these little ships that you sent out to see.
Speaker 1: It does feel like over the last and finally over the last two years, as my personal life's been imploding, a lot of a lot of things have been hitting. Do you think it's I do think that sometimes when you've gone through a period where you've set yourself free, that it's you entered this kind of flow state and suddenly things change.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's happened?
Speaker 1: I do. I do. I believe in that. I've also a woman of my forties. I also do yoga, I have crystals. I've become very much into the universe and you know, putting my feet in the grass and doing all of that, and I do believe so much in signs, in energy, in things falling into your lap.
Speaker 2: At it all to me too, I'm mad for it. Yeah, I'm thinking about buying an earthing sheet. I've got one. You got one with the core? Have you got one with you? Is it a plug in one or one where you run I've been looking at a real bonkers one from Canada or whatever. You have to run a copper cable outside your window into.
Speaker 1: The grid, Yes, no, mine's not mine. It has the copper, but it plugs in.
Speaker 2: Plugs in. Does it work with electricity for grounding?
Speaker 1: No? Like, how would you know if it works?
Speaker 2: That's a beautiful thing about it. You look really healthy.
Speaker 1: That I'm going off. I oh, everything like that I've done. Yeah, I love that Stuch can't get enough of it.
Speaker 2: And I'm mad on supplements. This could go all day. This could go all day. Sally Hepworth, what an absolute duel you are in the crown of artists.
Speaker 1: I love this? Is that some something someone said? Is that a writer? We don't calk? She wrote this book called chow Bella.
Speaker 2: It said, it's not on net Worth, but it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: It's wonderful.
Speaker 2: I've read Oh, I brought a gift for you because I've got your soul which I loved.
Speaker 1: I have a signed coffee.
Speaker 2: I have it at home. Oh I wanted to give you that.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll still take it.
Speaker 2: Look and signing you to sign the soul mate. But when I bought it, I already bought a signed one.
Speaker 1: Well I can personalize.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, good, we're going to do that. I'll see you in five months. We'll have our chat about AI is now doing everything for you. Look forward and may your ship box always be full in the best way exactly.
Speaker 1: Thank you. This has been lovely.
Speaker 2: Sally and I could have talked all day, and in fact we very nearly did, and it just struck me how generous and open she is. Even sometimes in the parts of your life that are kind of shadowy and your inclination is to try and cover them up, she's just spreading sunshine through herself and to those around her. It's always fascinating when the storyteller becomes the story. Sally's life has changed in ways she never saw coming, and she's done what so many women do. She's carried on. But what stayed with me was this, when everything falls apart, Sally doesn't pretend to have the answers, she just keeps showing up. The executive producer of No Filter is Nama Brown and the senior producer is Bree Player. Audio production is by Jacob Brown and I am your host, Kate lane Brook. Thank you so much for sharing No Filter with me.
Speaker 5: Hello, it's Nama here, the executive producer of No Filter bringing you a sample of Mamma MIA's women's health podcast, Well, hosted by doctor Merriam and Claire Murphy. This week's episode is about pregnancy, but that's not all. They'll also take you to mad school to talk about why you might get a pen in your but when you have your period, and do a quick consult about testosterone Duram Perry. If you want to hear the full episode. Well is your Full Body Health Check and drops every week on a Thursday.
Speaker 6: This episode of Well is brought to you in partnership with Clear Blue Australian Women.
Speaker 3: Welcome to your Full Body Health Check. I'm Claire Murphy and for the sake of today's episode, because we are talking about pregnancy, I'll let you know that I have been pregnant twice in my life. Once when I was a very young teenager, which is a pregnancy I chose to terminate and have zero regrets about. And then I got pregnant again at thirty five, where I was wonderfully called a geriatric pregnancy, and that resulted in my small human And.
Speaker 4: I'm doctor Mariam, a GP, a mother and someone who has lived the full spectrum of the fertility journey, from the heartbreak of my firstborn Samuel, who was a still earth, to three miscarriages and two years of infertility. My path has been anything but easy, but it led me to my greatest blessings, my beautiful rainbow two boys, Zak and Jagin.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for sharing that. I know that sometimes with your self and with friends of mine who've really struggled to get pregnant and to have babies, it's it's a really emotional thing to talk about, especially all the losses too so. But I think it's interesting to note that like our pregnancy journeys could not be more different.
Speaker 4: Like it's such a vast array.
Speaker 3: Of experiences involved in getting pregnant, being pregnant, and having babies. Because I was the discussion with my husband worriers went, should I just stop taking the pill and like, if it happens, it happens, and if it doesn't, it doesn't and he's like, yeah, cool, and then it did and it was just like and then we're like cool, do you I want to do it again? And we're like not really, it's won and done. We could yeah, very very different perspectives. And in case you haven't worked it out, we are talking about being up the Duff today with child Prego bun in the oven however you would like to refer to it. We will find out what's happening to your internals and it is a lot. And we have a quick consult for Tony who's been seeing a bunch of people on her feed talking about a hormone that she thinks that maybe she might need to but her understanding is is that it's something that is exclusively for men. Now, Mariam, I have found out something very interesting about women's buttholes.
Speaker 1: Go for it.
Speaker 4: I've said this before, I will say this again.
Speaker 3: I am a deeply immature human being and I will laugh every time I say but holes.
Speaker 2: But here we go.
Speaker 3: Something happens to some of our buttholes during our period. Yep, we need answers this is very serious medicine, Mariam.
Speaker 4: I want to know where this conversation is going.
Speaker 2: Let's go to med school.
Speaker 1: Welcome to med school, Mariam.
Speaker 3: We've discussed all types of pain that women might experience from various things, but have you ever experienced a proctalgia fugax?
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 3: Now, this is something that happens to a lot of women when they have their periods.
Speaker 4: So you might just be, you know, walking along.
Speaker 3: Minding your own damn business when you're hit with a really short, sharp pain in your buttthole. It feels like someone shoved a hof knife up there for a second. Yep, it is like butt lightning. It's reportedly super normal, quite harmless. It's a spasm in the anal sphincter or pelvic floor muscles. The pain can last somewhere between a few seconds, which I think is what the majority of us have probably experienced. Two way recorded ninety minutes, which sounds like the worst day ever. Marriam. Do you get butt lightning on your period?
Speaker 4: Butt lightning? Yes, so proctalgia? Four gucks. It sounds like a Harry Potters spell. It steels more like a curse. Yes, I've had that surprise up and it's usually like surprise that it's exactly what that is. It's usually in the coals, freezer ales I've gotten us. That's where your butt always decide to betray you. Top that or a pot triggered by the cold.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 3: Yes. So if you are just randomly sitting there and it's like Harry Potter ZAPPEDI with his wand in your buttthole, it's totally fine. Don't stress. From spiky buttholes to actually being up the dove. Today's check up is all things pregnancy.
Speaker 6: When you're trying to get pregnant, timing is everything. With only a few precious days each cycle, it's not surprising that one in two couples may be trying to conceive at the wrong time. That's where clear Blue Advanced Digital Ovulation Test comes in. You can double your chances of getting pregnant in your first cycle of use versus not using ovulation tests. Plus, you can download the free clear Blue Period and Cycle Tracking app to keep a diary. Double your chances of getting pregnant with the clear Blue Advanced Digital Ovulation Test. Always read the label and follow the directions for use.
Speaker 2: It's time for the checkup.
Speaker 3: Okay, Mary, can we talk about the first trimester? What is actually happening in your body when you conceive and why a first trimester mum's so tired.
Speaker 4: So when you conceive, your body immediately kicks into pregnancy gear, right, it wants to support that tiny new life. The fertilized egging plants itself into the lining of your uterus, which starts releasing hormones like hCG and progesterone. And those hormones do a bunch of jobs. They keep the pregnancy going, they stop your periods, and they start preparing your body for the months ahead. So why are we all so exhausted during that first trimester? It's always the hormones, same hormones.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The progesterone, which we call the pregnancy hormone, relaxes your muscles, including your digestive tracks, so that can make you feel little bit sluggish. Your metabolism is revving up, so your heart is working harder to pump that extra blood, and your body's busy building the placenta, which is like a new organ and other essentials, so your blood sugar and your blood pressure can dip as well, and that leaves you feeling wiped out, so you're adding the emotional rollercoaster as well. Sometimes you might get the nausea, the morning sickness, and it's no wonders that the first trimester is relentless. The good news is that it starts to ease up when you get to the second trimester. Go when your body starts to adjust. So if you're feeling wiped listen to your body. Rest when you can, eat good foods, stay hydrated, and don't beat yourself up if you need that extra downtime. Your body's doing incredible. It's growing a human. But in saying that, I just wanted to have a conversation and want to see what your thoughts are. A lot of people don't like telling people about their pregnancies until they pass that twelve weeks because they feel like they're in the safe zone. But then this is when they need a lot of extra help and support because hired and they're wiped out. They're like, oh, how am I going to tell my employer that I'm pregnant and I might miscarried. I want to tell my family.
Speaker 2: Well, that's it.
Speaker 3: It's the most common window for miscarriage, right, So and if something happens to you and you haven't told anybody, it makes it hard.
Speaker 4: It does, But I kind of want to break that cycle. As females when we see that positive pregnancy stick, there shouldn't be that stigma where we shouldn't be allowed to announce it. Unfortunately, one in four pregnancies do end in miscarriage, and that's when we need support. And if we haven't spoken about it, then how do we get that support? So I think you know acknowledging I'm pregnant, and if a miscarriage does happen, then acknowledging I need support and people knew about it.
Speaker 3: Can you answer me this question? Riddle me this, yes, Mariam, but can you please tell me how we predict a baby's due date and how accurate it is? Because there's some math going on here, but realistically, forty weeks, which is our normal gestation period, doesn't add up to nine months already. The math is not math for me. So how do we predict the day that baby's supposed to come out?
Speaker 4: Okay, the magic date, it's the date we all obsess over as parents. It's a bit of a legend, to be honest. Okay, So the standard way we work it out here in OZ is you take the first day of your last menstrual period and you add two hundred and eighty days or forty weeks to that date. It sounds straightforward, but pregnancy isn't always a neat nine month package like the calendars.
Speaker 3: And another our cycle, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: So the forty weeks is based on an average twenty eight day menstrual cycle, assuming ovulation happens on day fourteen, but not everyone's cycle plays by those rules. Some females ovulate earlier, some later, and the date can shift. Plus months aren't all the same length, so you've got thirty day months, thirty day ones, and then you've got February as well.
Speaker 2: But here's the kicker.
Speaker 4: Only one in twenty babies will actually only arrive on their due date. Most babies will come either two weeks before or two weeks after, so the jew date is more of a rough window, not a ticking clock. So early ultrasounds in pregnancies can help us estimate gustational age if we're not really sure when our last mental period was, or if the cycle regularity, and if things start to stretch beyond the Jude date, then you know you've got your treating team that will help you guide you through that, So don't stress about the Jude date. Baby is not likely to come at that date.
Speaker 3: Just be aware if your baby does come after the jud date, like mine did, it might come out.
Speaker 1: A lot hairer than you expected.
Speaker 3: Just a little shock surprise that you might not be aware of. Mariam, what should very early pregnant mums be doing from the get go? I know there's a lot of talk about what you should have already done in the lead up to conception, like not drinking alcohol and taking FOL eight supplements, for example, But what are the first things you tell a newly pregnant woman to do.
Speaker 4: I love these consults, Like I'm a GP shared antienatal care provider, so I would start, if you think you're pregnant, finding a GP with antenatal experience and don't just wait, so kind of book that consultation in early and there's a lot we can do to support a healthy pregnancy physically, emotionally and logistically as well. So when you see your doctor, we will confirm the pregnancy with like a urinal blood test based on what I've said before, and if we're unsure, we'll do that dating scan for you. And then this is the most important part of the conversation. It's never always congratulations on your pregnancy. I always start the conversation with is this a congratulation? And it's important because you know for some people it's a surprise, it's not at the right time. There are a reason.
Speaker 3: And when I was told when I was a teenager, I had a major breakdown. So yeah, it's not always.
Speaker 4: A welcling Yeah, that's right. And so your GP will walk beside you without judgment. They'll have that conversation and if termination is something that you're considering, will guide you through that process and make sure that you have the right supports. If you are thinking of continuing the pregnancy, it's ensuring that you're on the right supplement. So we spoke about folic acid and iodine, but then there are other things. So if you're at risk of preclamsy, you've had preclamcy here before, you might need to be on aspirin or cow So it's important we go through your medical surgical history, go through any medications you're on that might be teratogenic so they might harm the baby, or we might need to change dosages of some medications as well. Then we check whether your cervical cancer screening is up to date. So I'm going to break a myth, it is safe during pregnancy. There's also the self collection if you're really worried about anything touching the cervix, that self collection just touches the sides walls of the vagina, so that's completely safe. We also might offer an STI screen for some people if that's relevant as well. We'll check if your immunizations are up to date, and we'll tell you about the schedule of immunizations during pregnancy, which are really really important. I know there's a lot of misinformation online. If you have any concerns regarding immunizations during pregnancy, please please speak with a trusted healthcare professional. Do not get your information from untrusted sources online. Then we'll talk about lifestyle and nutrition. So obviously no smoking, no vaping, alcohol, LISTA drugs, and that includes passive smoking. Sometimes just being a people that smoke can also harm the baby. And then there's the food safety. That's a big one.
Speaker 2: There are certain.
Speaker 4: Foods to avoid, soft cheeses, deli meats, or all seafoods there's a whole bunch of foods, and it's not about instilling fear, you know. I still want people to go out and be able to eat healthy foods. I usually refer people to the New South World Food Authority Guide. It's a great resource, has a lot of information about it's got like a red light, green light, orange light system, or things to just be cautious with. I usually print that out for them. And important conversation I also have is about domestic safety and emotional health. So this part is so important. We will ask gently and privately about your safety at home. Unfortunately, pregnancy increases the risk of DV. The questions aren't just routine, they're protective. We also talk about mental health. So peronatal anxiety is very very common and it's a risk factor for postnatal depression. So we catch it early. We can put in those supports early and if anything's flagged, will help you access the right care. I'm a bit of a Debbie down us. I've been through the miscarriage journey, and even as a health professional, I was also a bit annoyed that we don't have this conversation that one inful pregnancies. Unfortunately, do anti miscarriage. So I think having that conversation at that first consert with the doctor saying, this may not be your story, but I want you to be prepared. These are the signs and symptoms to look out for ectopic pregnancy, education of the signs and symptoms to look out for. And it's not about, you know, kind of ruining the mood and the celebrations, but it's about providing them with that information that you know will be really really helpful if it was.
Speaker 3: To end that way, because we often find ourselves when we do experience those things asking why didn't anyone tell me about exactly?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you'll have some antenatal bloods and potentially genetic screening if you haven't had that offered, and then we'll plan the antenatal journey. We'll talk to you about the options, whether you want to go privately or publicly through a midwife system or whatever that might look like, and we'll put those referrals in place and then follow you up. Gosh, that's a lot, it's a lot.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's I love those consoles and then obviously the physical examination as well, but no, it's a great, great console. I love those consultations.
Speaker 3: I wanted to ask you too, because it's something that I did not know how to face when I was pregnant, is how do you find a good ogbyn or midwife, Like, do you need a referral? Can you go and hunt one down for yourself?
Speaker 4: So you do need a referral from your GP, which is why the GPS your best starting point, and they can recommend someone based on your health needs, your location, or your birthing preferences. Most mid referee care is available through the public systems unless you wanted to go privately as well. I find the Facebook moms group really great in terms of recommendations and experiences of obstetricians that they've had as well, So that's always a good place to start. You can look online, you know, if you've got specific issues like your high risk we've got a twin pregnancy, there are also obstetricians that kind of look after those's or doing a bit of research on your part, or speaking to your doctor about any preferences that they might have. Yeah, so your first port of call and they'll match you to the right team for you through your pregnancy journey.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 3: Okay, on the way we're going to answer a quick consult for Tony who's on HRT, but she thinks maybe it's missing something that most of us think only belongs to men. But next we are catching up with Associate Professor Kirsten Palmer to talk through all the basics of pregnancy, from like bigger feat to blood pressure, the food rules, and why medications may not work as well when you're expecting.
Speaker 5: If you want to hear the full episode, Well is your Full Body Health Check and drops every week on a Thursday, we've popped a link in our show notes for you to like and follow.
Speaker 6: This episode of Well was brought to you in partnership with Clear Blue.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters that this podcast is recorded on