Speaker 1: Welcome to the Kick Your Expert led podcast, helping you explore and learn everything about getting pregnancy, birth and becoming a parent.
Speaker 2: On the podcast and our online pregnancy program grow My Baby, we share my experience of helping more than four thousand babies to be.
Speaker 1: Born and our experience of running a women's health clinic and parenting for boys.
Speaker 2: We're here to help everyone to feel empowered in pregnancy and birth with real life, practical information.
Speaker 1: Welcome everyone, I'm Bridgid Maloney and today I thought we'd do a little quick kick to remind everybody about vitamin D. As we move into winter here in Australia, particularly in the Southern States, vitamin D really does start to matter and we see this a lot in our hometown of Ballorad. I'm not sure where you're listening from, but people start rugging up. It's getting colder. You know. You leave in the morning when it's dark, you come home when it's dark, and it's nearly impossible for some people, particularly those with darker skin, to get enough vitamin D. Fair people can get enough vitamin D from having their arms, hands and face exposed to the sun for a couple of minutes and This is where we need to balance sun exposure and the skin cancer risk. So you still need to avoid sun exposure between eleven am and three pm, but it's probably a good idea to have a look on your phone app. There you can see what the UV rating is and if it's anything, say above three, then go out into the sun. Just expose your arms, your hands, your face for a couple of minutes. That'll give you some sun exposure for vitamin D. If you have darker skin, you need a lot more sunlight. Those with very black skin need three to six times as much sunlight as fair skinned people. So a little while ago, we had dietitians Steph F. Larkas talk to us about vitamin D in the diet, and she really helps us understand the importance of vitamin D and what you need to do to get that vitamin D if you need to supplement. So let's hear what she has to say.
Speaker 2: So what about vitamin D that this I seem to think that I'd sort of heard just about nothing in my career bride or about ten years ago about vitamin D and then it was everything for a while, and now it's sort of dropped away a little bit. Where's vitamin D? Citty?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Vitamin D is a fat solible nutrient, so you actually need a little bit of fat in your diet or if you're using your supplement to take vitamin D. Dietary sources of vitamin D are not wide and not very well absorbed, so things like sardines or salmon or eggs that have added vibalin D or the vitamin D mushrooms, or you can do it yourself. You can leave your mushrooms in the sun and the gills up and then they'll actually synth the size of vitamin D for you can buy the meat coals already pre done as well. Our bodies are very good or really at like taking out of the food and much better at getting it from direct sunlight. But then we've got the skin cancer situation, right, so then we've got all the sun safety public health messaging, and I think this and also just our lifestyles. Honestly, you're in a southern state Sydney, Melbourne in winter, what do you do. You wake up, it's dark, you go to work, you're sitting at work all day inside, you go home it's dark. What sudden are we really getting on now even if we sunscreened up faces or hands or can we're cold, we're all runned up. You know, That's kind of how it goes. A lot of people also have medical conditions in which there's a link to vitamin D deficiency risk being much higher. So condif it was like PCOS is a great example of that. So yeah, certainly vitamin D is relevant and important for a variety of things. From a fertility angle, we know that people that have better vitamin D levels to have better outcomes. We know that vitamin D in the pregnancy is really important for calcium absorption for mum and bub and also that vitamin D levels maternally are really important to reduce risks of some certain conditions in baby. So it's been some links to things like US smart and ordering conditions as well, So that's certainly interesting. And I think as well, like recently I've seen a big emergence of like mandatory vitamin D supplementation direct infants, And I mean that's a whole different topic of conversation, but it is an immunomodulatory vitamin, so it is very important and I don't think most people probably aren't quite getting enough, but it is very seasonal. So if you come back from a sunny European holiday or you've been in the sun over the summer, you're probably going to be fine. It's usually over the winter months, particularly in the southern parts of the Australia in particular, I see a lot of vitamin D deficiency. Vegetarian forms of vitamin D are really commonplace now, so that used to be the issue because vitamin D is typically see the size from sheep landoline. It's pretty mainstain now to have vegetarian forms and vegan forms of vitamin D. Almost all companies make their products to be vegan, the Joe friendly and in my opinion, yes, everyone should have their vitamin D levels checked at some stage, and at least once throughout the context of pregnancy, because you will capture at least some seasonal variation and you don't want to enter breastfeeding in particular being extremely vitamin D deficient, and then you know they're not going to affects to bub as well because of the vitamin D kind of transfer. Isn't that incredible from breast milk? So yeah, vitamin D is something that is really important. But I do find people either think that their prenatal is giving them much more than what it really is, or I see people overdo it quite a lot. And keep in mind it is fat soluble, which means we are going to store it for a lot longer period time. You're not just going to weed it out if you take too much. So the right amount to be important.
Speaker 2: Do you think it needs to be checked in people who are on a.
Speaker 3: Supplement, Absolutely, I think from a monitoring perspective, so we definitely we definitely if we're adding additional vitamin D on top of a prenaate vitamin so pre needle vitamin on average, and this is definitely average, we'll give you between four hundred international units, which is forty percent of your daily maintenance amount, to about one thousand international units, which is your daily maintenance amount. So if you take a thousand international units every day, irrespective of your sun exposure, you should kind of maintain and or slightly increase if you're getting some sign exposure. If you are deficient, that a thousand international units is not really going to do much for you. It's just going to maintain you prevent the deficiency worsening. So once we get into deficient territory with to then go a bit higher than that, up to a maximum of about four thousand international units. And usually we then do a scaled dosing down over a period of usually every six weeks. You're dropping doses down and things like that. So that is important to monitor at the end of that, is that have we successfully corrected the vitamin D deficiency and have we not overshot it? For example?
Speaker 1: Wow, So I mean just for me you will understand this. But so is it a bit like iron? So you have the iron stores ferretan and then the iron available. Is that a bit like the vitamin D Like you've got vitamin D stores. When you say that, you know, even if you're taking the one hundred percent regmended daily intake, if you're deficient. So is that the deficiency is that somewhere it's not stored properly in your body.
Speaker 3: So it's kind of like if you just take just enough ion and you're already deficient, you're not going to get out of the deficient state. Yeah, right, so or not quickly anyway, have to wait till the seasonal variation kicks in, and the season kicks in, then you'll get an improvement. So in my line of work, I don't have time. So people need to have their vitamin D levels good by X state or they're already pregnant. So we don't want to buck around with it for the next six months and hope becomes good. So we do need to increase it quickly and then scale it back down quickly and then reassess that it's worked. So it's a bit like iron. It's kind of like you want to make sure that the iron supplement is an adequate amount. It's going to correct the deficiency, and then it has done its jobb and you want to confirm that with a blood test. Otherwise we're just like kind of closing our eyes and hoping for the best kind of situation, which Eddy wants.
Speaker 1: No And I think vitamin D would be a real problem here in Bellarette, Like our UV doesn't really get no much over one.
Speaker 2: I've been watching this and of all the new pregnant patients I get sent through general practice, I would say somewhere around a half have had their vitamin D checked as part of their first round of pregnancy blood tests where the hemoglob and blood group B HIV siphless rebellery checked and and most bodies would not recommend that that was necessarily on that first blood test, but probably about half do it. And I think that it's much more than half in the middle of winter and much less than half in the middle of summer, because it's on the on the mind of the GP that's ordering the test. But if it's if it's reasonably common to b vitamin D deficient in the pregnancy state, even if you've been taking a prenatal with vitem D in it, then then we probably should be looking at that in everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's one of those scenarios that it's a preventable issue if their intervention is.
Speaker 2: Something to do about it.
Speaker 3: That there is a lot more resistance I'm finding with vitamin D testing at the moment from GPS. I think it's only meant to be annually unless there's an issue. But people are often very surprised how quickly their vitamin D levels will change when they other stop supplementing or into a different season. You can it can take much quicker than well a lot of people anticipate. So yeah, you will store some, but if you're not getting enough, it will change very quickly a few months and you went from replete to deficient very easily.
Speaker 1: Well, everyone, thanks for listening. I wonder what this means for you, whether you'll go and have your vitamin D checked now and particularly through pregnancy. I think it sounds like a really good thing for you to keep abreast of, particularly if your pregnancy goes through the winter months. That's it for us. I hope you have a really great week. We look forward to being back next week. We'll see you then life and out.
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 1: Even though doctor Pat is well a doctor and we get lots of other doctors and other experts on our podcast, I just need to remind you that this podcast is for informational purposes only. We share lots of medical insights and experience, but everything we talk about is general in nature and may not apply to your specific situation. Please always consult with your own healthcare provider for your individual medical advice.
Speaker 3: When you grow your baby,