Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA mea podcast.
Speaker 2: Mama Mayor acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. Hello, out Louders, I'm in your ears today to bring you a very special episode of No Filter because this week I sat down with Jackie O and her best friend Gemma to talk about Jackie's addiction. It was about how she became addicted to pills and alcohol, what that addiction looked like from the inside, and also what it looked like from the outside, what everybody else was thinking because nobody knew, literally nobody knew, and I wanted to invite her best friend, Jemma O'Neil to sit down with us as well, because the first phone call jack made when she hit rock bottom, and the first person that she told was Gemma, and I wanted to understand how Jemma got her through it, how that friendship saved her life, and what we can all learn if we're struggling with addiction or if someone we love is struggling with addiction. I know that a lot of out louders have addiction in their lives somewhere. It's something that we have to grapple with and we also talk so much about friendship out loud. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this episode. Let us know what you think.
Speaker 1: You have to be quite calculated. You know, you might go out to dinner and then you're like, Okay, how many pills do I need? Where do I hide them? If someone says, oh, can I borrow your lipstick and they open your bag, you immediately panic, thinking, shit, are they going to see these pills in there?
Speaker 2: For mom and me, you're listening to no filter. I'm me a Friedman and it is pretty unusual for me to interview the same person twice within the space of a year. I don't think it's ever happened before. But the last time I sat down with Jackie O, one half of the most successful radio duo in Australian history, she had a secret not just from me, but from almost everyone in her life. Her friends, her colleagues, the men she'd begun dating after her divorce from the father of her daughter Kitty, even from her co host Kyle Sanderleans. Nobody knew that Jackie O was addicted to pills and alcohol and had been for years. The story they thought they knew is that she'd lost a whole lot of weight because she was on a zepic or because she'd had surgery. That's what the gossip site said, and that's how the rooms wet. But everyone missed the real story, which was so much bigger and deeper and more sad than you would expect from someone who, from the outside anyways, seemed so successful and so powerful and so glamorous. When I last spoke to Jackie, it was a great conversation. She was her usual down to earth self, deprecating, no bullshit, funny self, despite having just signed a new ten year contract for her radio show with Kyle that was worth a reported one hundred million dollars. We spoke about that on that episode, and we spoke about Kyle. But today we're not talking about those things, not about money, not about Kyle. Today we're talking about the secret that Jackie has only just shared with the world in her memoir called Suitably The Whole Truth. And today she also has someone sitting beside her in the studio because Jemma O'Neil is not only Jackie's best friend and her manager and her business partner, she's the one who Jackie called when she hit rock bottom. On the darkest day of her life, and to understand the story of Jackie's addiction and recovery from the inside. I knew that I wanted to hear Jemma's point of view as well. So let's jump in. I should start at the beginning, but I want to start in the middle, and I want to get my timing right. There was a weekend in I think twenty twenty two where there is a series of phone calls that changed your life, Jack, and then your life Gemma. The first phone call came to you, Jack on a Sunday morning from someone telling you that your life had changed in a big way. Can you tell me about where you were when that phone call arrived, like physically, how are you feeling?
Speaker 1: What were you doing? I think it was just a normal Sunday morning.
Speaker 2: Which was what for you at that time.
Speaker 1: So Gemma had been around the night before with another friend of ours, Kim, and so we'd been drinking and having a great girls night, and I think I would have finished up around two am, and then I think around the time that I have no idea what time I got up the next day actually, and it was just probably me, you know, eating, drinking, watching TV and then I got a phone call from the person who was supplying me with the painkillers, the only person who has ever done that. I've never been able to access them before like that, and that person called me to say that they couldn't do it anymore because they had been busted. I was. I took the call outside and I just remember thinking, Oh my god, this is it. This is the moment I feared. What am I going to do? You know, all these thoughts run through your head of like oh shit, now what like you know, how am I going to get out of this? How am I going to taper off this kind of amount that I'm taking of medication?
Speaker 2: How long had you been taking it for?
Speaker 1: Well, I would say it was the beginning of COVID was when it got really bad. So it originally started about fifteen years prior when I had been prescribed a really strong painkiller and don't which people know in Australia is like oxy content in.
Speaker 2: The strongest painkiller. I think that you cand it. It's no, you can't get it over counters. It's usually you get prescribed it after an operation or you had it for endometriotus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I had it for the endometriosis. They'd given me other painkillers that weren't very effective, and it was really severe pain at the time. And yeah, it's very difficult to get end on rightly, so in this country, and so that's where it started. And then I think because you couldn't even access something like that, you couldn't just even go doctor shopping for it, because doctors are extremely aware that there are people out there like me who are abusing it, and so can.
Speaker 2: You explain doctor shopping. One of the things I found most interesting in your book was getting inside addiction, and one of the things that came across so much was how time consuming. It is.
Speaker 1: Time consuming so time like.
Speaker 2: There's the money, there's all of those things, but it like, what was the process of getting the amount of drugs that you needed before you found this person who could supply it.
Speaker 1: Well, See, the thing is I got the intake increased because of the person I ran into and because I had access to it freely, it then increased tenfold very quickly. So originally when I was prescribed the end DOMEE, I really wasn't taking it to it. It was just one extra here and there. When I was a.
Speaker 3: Lot to treat pain, to just take the edge of Obviously it was originally to treat the pain, and then it became like, oh, I'm having a really shit day, I might take one of those because they give me a really nice feeling.
Speaker 1: And so doctor shopping for something like that is really awful. I can't even begin to tell you. The whole thing feels just dirty. And you're you know, you're lying, you know you're doing something wrong, and you're not stopping yourself and doing it. So you're famous.
Speaker 2: How do you doctor shop when you're Jackie O and you're that recognizable in waiting rooms? Yeah, by doctors, by receptionists.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you go far and wide. That's the thing. You try not to go to a doctor surgery in the same suburb too, in the same because who knows if those people know each other, and we'll say, oh, Jackie O came into the doctor surgery today, and the other one goes, yeah, me too. You know, alarm bells would go off. So it's incredibly devious behavior.
Speaker 2: And what did you have to say to the doctors?
Speaker 1: Would I would tell the truth? But you know, it was it was as though I'd also said that story to the other doctor. So I was getting twice the amount I needed. So it wasn't that I was lying about the pain. I was telling them about the end of metriosis. And yeah, a lot of the time, every now and again, a doctor would go, I don't feel comfortable prescribing this.
Speaker 2: And did you feel so ashamed when that happened?
Speaker 1: I really did. Yeah, it was That was the worst part is the shame that comes with it.
Speaker 2: How do you end that conversation.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh, okay, yeah, you just exactly. You just go okay, and they go, I'll prescribe you this instead.
Speaker 2: And one time because you became worried that there would be some central record. Yeah, so you knew you couldn't give a false name, so you gave a false birth date. When did that go wrong?
Speaker 1: I was just writing down whatever birthdate came to my mind. When they give you the form to go and sit down and write out your details. Gais a couple of numbers, Yeah, pick a couple of numbers. Any numbers doesn't matter. Actually it does matter when it's February. Because I wrote February thirty. I got busted. I went to the receptionist. She's typing it in she goes, wait, so your birthday is February thirty, and I no, she didn't even say February. She went the thirtieth of the second. So I didn't admit and I was like yeah, and oh god, again the shame, the shame, so oh that it didn't last very long the doctor shopping, because I actually just thought, this is, this is you got to stop like you're you're going to get in trouble here, you know, and you're also going to where does it end? You know? It will it will? You'll want more and more if you keep taking more than you should. So thankfully, I think due to that lack of access, it stopped me from having a full blown addiction back then, and so it didn't really this oh well that was let me think I would have been about It would have been maybe late twenties, early thirties, I think when the end on one happened. And again I wouldn't have called that an addiction. I think that was an abuse. It was abusing something and taking it a little bit recreationally, but not an addiction at that point, although obviously the addictive behavior was coming out, and so it wasn't until probably twenty nineteen, I think late twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen. I had access to it and used it as a coping mech.
Speaker 2: Quite a few years later, and it's years in between. Were you doctor shopping all of that time?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, no, no, you did stop. I did, yeah shopping. It was almost like that was so much effort and so much embarrassment came with that, and humiliation because even sometimes when you were prescribed it, you could tell the doctor was almost looking at you like you were. I used to think to myself, God, he's looking at me like I'm a junkie, you know, And I thought, but you are a junkie right now in this situation, you are pretty much like I just thought. You know, it was too humiliating, and I thankfully stop that because I can't. Doctor shopping is incredibly time consuming.
Speaker 2: Is that when you started drinking more? No, not even effect.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't. Actually I never really had a problem with drinking. I think I would say, you know, I guess it depends how you define a problem with drinking. So I never really liked alcohol at all. Kitty was born, and then suddenly it was a lot was happening with my marriage, and then a child on top of that, and then we obviously refused any help. We didn't get anyone on board, so it was just Leah and I, which is fine, you know, it's absolutely manageable. And I think because the problems we were having, I don't know, it just felt like, oh, suddenly I was wanting a glass of wine as soon as she went to bed and so. But again, it wasn't that I was drinking too much during that period, but I absolutely did have one or two every single day for the next thirteen years, or not thirteen actually because I went to rehab when she was seven days a week, but seven days a week, and whilst I wasn't getting drunk when I was in rehab, and went in there thinking, oh, I'm not going to give up alcohol because I don't have a problem with that. Once I started writing down my real life relationship to alcohol, I thought, well, if I haven't had one day for the last ten eleven years without a glass of wine, then maybe there is a problem there. I mean, you don't have to be getting drunk every night and waking up and drinking alcohol first thing in the morning to have a problem with alcohol. And I think that's how I always identified.
Speaker 2: It's like alcoholic adjacent, Yeah it is, or using it as a crutch.
Speaker 1: It's a dependency on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, when you got that phone call and you think about how long had that person been in your life who was supplying you with the pills?
Speaker 1: Pretty much as soon as I ran into them is when it started. So twenty nineteen I think that was. And how would it work?
Speaker 2: Would you like text them because I imagine they were not doing the right thing and you were not doing the right thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so how.
Speaker 2: Did you actually do it? Because the risk of being caught for both of you and the stakes.
Speaker 1: For high Yeah, I didn't think about that. It's almost like I didn't even want to think.
Speaker 2: About that part because it wasn't like you weren't scoring heroine and you weren't think it was like these were just over the counter painkillers exactly.
Speaker 1: I thought, well, these are legal, so therefore it's not that big a deal. That's what I told myself.
Speaker 2: And did you feel shame when you spoke to this person and you kept saying, I need like did you get them by the box? Did you go and pick them up from their house?
Speaker 1: Like? No, I would I would meet them, and it was actually, yeah, so they I would meet them. I don't want to give away who this person is, but it's not It's not like this kind of dodgy drug deal in the middle. I'm not, you know, sitting in their car and exchanging It wasn't quite like that, but no, but it was like that.
Speaker 2: It just didn't but feel like that exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It wasn't like, you know, necessarily drug dealer type.
Speaker 2: It was yeh, a situation.
Speaker 1: It has a different situation when you.
Speaker 2: Think about that person, how do you feel about them?
Speaker 1: That's a good question actually, because I know my friend Gemma is angry with that person, but I am not because I put them in that situation and I know they gave me an extraordinarily large amount of medication. But I can't turn around at the end of it all and go, well, you shouldn't have done that. I don't know. I just I don't know what I was lying to them as well. I mean, I wasn't saying it was all for me. I was saying, oh, yeah, I've got some people at work who need you know, still knocks as well because we all work crazy hours. Okay, So I was lying to them all.
Speaker 2: Slight different with the many packets of neuropan plus and painkillers that you needed though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was just because that's stuff you have to go to a doctor and get prescribed it, and you know that used to be an over the counter situation, and you know they could access it and they were like, yeah, okay, no worse, you know, I don't know do you have contact with them anymore? No? No, no, ever since that day, I think it was. That was it, you know, was done.
Speaker 2: The next fine call you made after that.
Speaker 1: One was to who Gemma my best friend?
Speaker 2: What did you say to her?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Well? I thought I needed someone who I knew could a help me and b wouldn't judge me and was close to me that I could trust. And Jemma knew everything about me except that you know, she was the one I would always talk to about any problem I had in life, and vice versa.
Speaker 2: Interestingly, in the book, you talk about your assistant who's been with you for ten years, Brett, who sounds amazing. Yeah, and she knows everything about you, yes, including this. She's the one person or the other person besides the person who was supplying you with it, who did know and she would sometimes leave notes around the house because she would see all the empty blister packs, and she would witnessed you, you know, day and night, and she'd watched you deteriorate along with other people. Why didn't you call her first?
Speaker 1: I don't feel I want to burden her with something like that. I think with Britta and I, she is like a big We always laugh. She's my big sister because she's the protector, and she's the one that's always trying to will in those days help me and I. But she always has kept it professional.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: She's always very careful not to cross the line where we become best friends. And she's always mindful of that that there's a line like we don't cross. We're friends, we're like sisters, but also we're not hanging out socializing every single day. And I feel and so there has been a certain level of professionalism with brittan Ie and our relationship.
Speaker 2: That must have been a big deal for her to write those letters. Oh absolutely, How did you feel when you saw them, because that was the first time you'd had a mirror held up to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh, I think when you're in and when you're in the middle of an addiction and someone does that to you, you don't sit there and go, oh my god, I feel so ashamed. I feel so this. Oh I really should get help. I can't believe she you just immediately don't think about that. Let's not think about that. It's just you just don't want denial, big denial. Yeah.
Speaker 2: After this short break, we hear from Gemma, who was on the other end of that phone call, and we find out what she did next. So you called Gemma because she's the closest person to you, and also she knows how to get shit done and sort shit out. Yeah, which brings me to you, Jem and that weekend for you the night before when you'd been over at Jack's house, what did you notice about her and what had you noticed over what period of time leading up to that.
Speaker 5: I probably didn't notice much the night before, And in fact, we was saying this the other day. It was quite funny because I left earlier that night, which in nine sight, thank god I did, because I needed my wits about me the.
Speaker 1: Next day, it turned out.
Speaker 5: But I think I left it like nine or ten that that night before, And to be honest with you, there was nothing different that night as opposed to any other night that we would hang out or day we'd hang out. But the consistent thing that I saw was that there was a niggling feeling that something wasn't right. And I think that's why I got so upset when I found out, because I was angry at myself that I hadn't figured it out. But there was always an excuse that I thought, like, you know, whether it was Jack seemed really tired. Well, obviously, it turns out she was taking fourteen still knoxes a day, so of course she's going to be tired. But in my head, i'd see her be really sl tired, and I'd think, well, she does breakfast hours and she's exhausted, and you know, deniability. Yeah, And so there was always kind of a reason. Or I'd noticed that we'd go out for dinner and maybe we'd only had one or two glasses of wine and I'm obviously still fine, and Jack would seem like she was drunk, and I'd think, again, well she.
Speaker 1: You know, she doesn't get a lot of sleep.
Speaker 5: So there was always this kind of I had this justification in a way in my head, and I was at I was at her all the time, like I was saying, something's not right, and I think we should take you to the doctor.
Speaker 1: Well, during that time, I think about six weeks, maybe even eight weeks prior I genuinely had gotten sick, had COVID. Then I think it was like a lung or chest infection. I just don't know what it was, but it was constant coughing, being lethargic. And so I was sick for this very long period of time, which I know was for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was should be getting better, Yeah, because nothing was changing. I thought something's not right here. But yeah, I guess I noticed small things, but it never ever occurred to me that it would be.
Speaker 1: What it was. But also I was with Jack all.
Speaker 5: The time, and she was very very good at hiding it, like there was no signs.
Speaker 2: Add It's a crafty, aren't they?
Speaker 1: One hundred percent? Yeah?
Speaker 2: How hard is that?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: How calculated do you have to be?
Speaker 1: You have to be quite calculated. You have to you know, you might go out to dinner and then you're like, Okay, how many pills do I need? Where do I hide them? If someone says, oh, can I borrow your lipstick? And they open your bag, you immediately panic, thinking, shit, are they going to see these pills in there? You know, so you have to hide them in the little back pocket and then put tissues on top of it in case someone goes to that back pocket and goes, oh, I've lost my button? Can I put it in your back pocket? Then you have to take the pills, and you have to go to the bathroom, and you know, figure out if somebody in here are they going to look at me at the basin with the water you just and then just the covering up of the actual the effect, though, that isn't hard because what happened was initially when in twenty nineteen, when I had started taking a still Knox and some painkillers. I guess, like any drug, they had a maximum effect and then the tolerance that gets built up happens very very quickly, and so you're taking more and more. But actually, if I'm really honest, I would say the last year of my addiction, I felt nothing, and I kept saying to myself, but why are you continuing to take it? Then, like, if you're not feeling anything anymore and it's not giving you anything, why are you taking it? And I think I just kept living in hope that it would give me some sort of high. And the other thing was that I didn't want to. I just didn't know how to really come off it, because I knew on the day I didn't have Kitty, I was taking that usual amount the days I had Kitty, when I when I would take like half a pill here and there, it was just trying desperately to level me out. And those that feeling was so awful that I just didn't want to experience that. Either I don't know, I just keep going back to this denial of like I don't even know what was going on with me there, but it really genuinely was hardly having an effect at all. So when you ask how difficult is it to cover all of that up, that part isn't wasn't even super high functioning that you know, It's just not even it's pointless even continuing.
Speaker 5: So the next day that was interesting because then when when things did transfire, all these secrecy like elements would come out so and it would all make sense. It'd be like, oh, so is that why every time we'd go out you were always adamant that your handbag, like no one could touch your handbag or Yeah, you'd always go to the bathroom every time the food was put down. And I was always perplexed, like.
Speaker 2: Reverse Bolima, because I was bullimic when I was in my early twenties and I'm thinking about all that strategized and be like, Okay, so where will I be, where's the bathroom, who's going to be in there? What can I do? I need to do like all the steps that you need to do to cover it up. And it's like no one would have guessed when you go to the bathroom always before the food comes, because you've.
Speaker 1: Got to have it. If I've done it after, people might have gone hang on a second. And that's the thing. If anyone gets in the way of your plan. Yes, like the yeah, just ruin my whole night, Like you know, it's.
Speaker 2: I still have anxiety dreams about having binged and being not able to throw up. I still have those anxiety dreams now because it's such a it's so ingrained. Yeah you had Blima, Yeah, and it's it's well, it's like any it's like an addictions and it's having to learn and yeah, having to learn what it's about because it's not about the food or the alcohol or the pills or whatever, it's about why you're using it. What's interesting to me is reading your book and the conversations is that no one had any idea, like no, like it was the last thing. And I'm interested in what that says about you and what everyone thinks about you. And it made me think that everyone must think that you're very dependable, responsible, grounded, like all of those things that you wouldn't connect with addiction.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think the main reason is that because I don't do any kind of party drugs and really never have, and I think I'm probably one of the only people and I'm not even just talking about the entertainment or I'm talking just in Sydney, these eastern suburbs for a start. I reckon I'm one of the very rare people who have never even tried coke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh I have tried it. But I feel that way too, Like you can swim in that circle and it's like you realize you're the only one left at the table when everybody else has gone to the bathroom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really everybody there, I know, I know, And so I think everyone always put me in that basket of oh, she just doesn't do drugs at all, And so I think that was if anyone even had a minuscule thought of that, they'd be like, oh, no, she would never be doing that because she doesn't do This is also.
Speaker 2: Part of it that people don't think of prescription medication as being addictive or something that people get addicted to, Like.
Speaker 1: I think, I know that. I was so confused about it when I heard Matthew Perry had gotten addicted to painkillers. I remember that. I remember thinking, who gets addicted to pain killers? But I just thought they were by that too. Yeah, I think why hell? You know, it was so bad.
Speaker 2: It was also hearing that you take sleeping pills. It's like what everyone always asks you is how do you get up in the morning so early be so tired? It's like, why would you be taking sleeping pills?
Speaker 1: Good question, Yeah, if you.
Speaker 2: Would be addicted to anything. Yeah, And probably that's why the people around you didn't pick it either, because it's quite easy to you know, we can all pick the signs of someone who's who's on appers and who's high. But when someone's just a bit tired or a bit and as you say, when you're just taking it to be normal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that was what I was perplexed by that day when they're all, you know, unraveled, because I remember sitting and going.
Speaker 1: I can I just say when I went into rehab, I was the only person that was addicted to sleep. Everyone went because it's ambient over there, and they're like ambient.
Speaker 2: Like why people get addicted to stimulants?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do. It was like I mean when I told them in rehab that it was what I was taking. So they call it Thailand Ole three over there, and obviously people are in there mostly for meth fentanyl, alcohol. They're like the three big ones. And I was the only one in there for Thailand. They literally looked at me like, Assie, white girl, she's addicted to Thailand. Oh, this is so lame. It's so suburban, it's so subban.
Speaker 2: That's often what people say about the things that women get addicted to is because women have caring responsibilities with it. It's for children or partners or parents, whatever. They're more likely to get addicted to things that enable them to function, so things like gambling, things like food, things like prescription medications.
Speaker 1: It's something you can still function, but it's not you know, you don't feel like you're going off the rails hardcore with your addiction, which is really, really is not the case. And I think that's my point in the book. When I first got in there, I felt that way too. It's like, hang on, I've got the least scary addiction in here, and everyone's looking at me like really, like you're in rehab for that. But yeah, absolutely, the problem I have is the same as the person next to me. He's doing Heroin. We both have the same problem, which is we're using that as a way to escape something else, and we need to address what that is.
Speaker 2: You're sitting here now talking very calmly about it.
Speaker 1: What was that.
Speaker 2: Phone call like from your point of view, Jim, when she called you, You're in the car driving out to the country. Yeah, on a lovely sunday.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was.
Speaker 5: And so she sounded that quite hysterical and was almost hyperventilating. So I knew it was bad, whatever it was, And I pulled over because I thought I can't be driving, like I kind of braced myself. I could tell the severity very quickly, and maybe I did. Actually, yeah, I thought something had happened, yeah to someone that we know. And then she managed to get out the words, because I was saying, just tell me whatever it is to say it, just say it. And she managed to kind of spit out the words in between the sobs of I've done something really stupid. That's all she kept saying. And I still was like, that mean, I said what, And then she eventually got out the words of I've been taking pills. And that's all she said to me was I've been taking pills. And immediately everything was like the penny dropped for me.
Speaker 2: I was like, so you didn't think she meant I've been taking pills this morning or last night. You knew straightaway.
Speaker 5: I figured it was like you know that domino effect. I just figured the whole sequence of everything out and it all made sense. And then I think he said, and the person I was getting them from has just been busted, and I don't know what to do. And I've never ever heard Jack in that state before, and so all I said was, I said, just just sit tight, I'll be there. I'll be there in two hours. And I turned around and I drove straight back.
Speaker 2: Where are you going south?
Speaker 5: I was going down to the Southern Highlands south of Sydney, So I was pretty much close to where I was going, and so I turned around and.
Speaker 2: Drove the Bane of Plans.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, but I.
Speaker 5: Didn't know what the pills were or how many she was taking. I didn't know any of that. But I just had a gut feeling that it wasn't going to be like I'm taking one pill here and there. I just had this innate feeling that it was quite severe. And so, you know, what did you do in the car on the way home?
Speaker 2: I mean, on the way back to Jack.
Speaker 1: That's a good question. I've never asked that.
Speaker 5: Actually, well, no, you do know I called That's what I know.
Speaker 1: But I didn't know know that. Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, so I actually didn't do it. Did it take you before you decided to call Betty?
Speaker 5: About an hour?
Speaker 2: Some people are good in a crisis. I'm really good in a crisis, as long as the crisis isn't happening to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It really focused my thoughts. Maybe I know exactly what to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm a very ill po Yeah, I've always been like that. I don't know why, but I have that too, And so I sat with it, and I just sat with my own thoughts for the first hour. Of driving, and I think I was also trying to piece some things together in my head. I was like, oh, she you know, she's probably been doing it. I was trying to, you know, figure out the timeline, I guess, and then I started to think, Okay, let's prepare for all situations here, because that's my nature. I'm a planner. And so I thought, if it is an addiction, and if it has been going on for a while, then the fact that she's told me, I need to act quickly. Like I knew there were certain things and I've had some experience. I've been around other people that have had addiction and successfully overcome them, and so I knew that if it was that, I needed to be prepared and I need to act immediately. So I kind of started thinking, well, if it's that, this is what we'll do. And if it's not that, you know, this is what we'll do. And I started putting scenarios in my head to prepare for the worst case scenario, which is what I did think it was. I thought, well, I'm going to find out if I can even get her in somewhere. And I also never contemplated it being in Australia for a number of reasons.
Speaker 1: First of all, I just.
Speaker 5: Thought that it would be a media circus and if she was genuinely unwell, as her friend, selfishly, I wanted her to get better, and so I thought if it's in Australia, she won't be able to do that, just because the chances are too high that it'll get out. And I also thought she'd probably if it did get out, then she'd probably use it as an excuse to say I can't stay here anymore. And so I wanted to eliminate all options of her being able to not get successful treatment. I did have friends who had gone to Betty Ford. I lived in America for quite a long time, and so I knew that their program was a legitimate program and that I'd seen other people recover very successfully.
Speaker 2: When I heard the audio of you sang it on the show about Betty Ford, I was like, Betty fool, that's so retro. Yeah, I didn't even know it was kind of still around.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The Betty Ford Center was founded in nineteen eighty two by former First Lady Betty Ford. After admissions, you'll be escorted to the medical and detoxification unit.
Speaker 1: In the medical unit, you'll be evaluated by our team of positions, and it will be determined when it's appropriate to move you over to one of the residential halls.
Speaker 4: Our medical staff is here twenty four to seven to make you as comfortable as possible.
Speaker 2: Like, surely there are more modern ones, more fancy ones, more upgraded worries, And why did you choose that?
Speaker 5: Because I had experience with other people going there, and I knew from the other people that had gone there that it wasn't a fancy one and that it wasn't a day spa situation.
Speaker 1: It was doing the work.
Speaker 5: It was a real program, and so I think it was just because I knew it, I thought, well, that's my default. I'm just going to go there. And so I called them when I was about thirty minutes out from arriving at Jack's, and I said to them, I have a friend who's just admitted this to me. I don't know the severity of the situation, but I wanted to know, do you have any spots available? And I also know it's quite hard to get spots in there, just because they have a wait list and you know, And the lady said to me, we have one spot available, and it's available from this Sunday, and I said I'll take it.
Speaker 2: And so so it was a week out.
Speaker 5: It was a week out, yeah, and I said I'll take it. And I said, I'll confirm. I'll call you back and confirm it in a couple of hours.
Speaker 1: He's all my details.
Speaker 2: How much does it cost?
Speaker 1: I can't it's about like thirty eight forty yeah, for the month.
Speaker 5: For the month.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you got to Jack's house. Yeah, what did you discover? What state was she in?
Speaker 1: She was not in a great state.
Speaker 2: I never driving.
Speaker 1: Not your best day, Yeah, definitely not.
Speaker 5: I never really like reliving it because every time we do it makes it really upset.
Speaker 1: But I'll do my best.
Speaker 5: I think it was just very It just broke my heart to see her like that. To see anyone like that is very confronting because she just was so lost and so empty and broken. And I think because she finally said it, she was letting all the emotion out, I imagine, and so she was very It was like she was almost like a child in that moment, Like it felt like she was a child that was desperate to be rescued and she was, you know, struggling to breathe. We had to do a few breathing exercises, and she was having panic, like panic attacks and things. So but it was also her you know, rock bottom moment, so to speak, because had she not got the earlier phone call, we wouldn't have been in that position. And so I was able to get pretty much everything out of her straight away, Like you didn't hold it a lot. I think she was like, well, it's done now, so I may as well admit to everything. And so that's when I said, what are the pills? How often are you taking them? And I was very shocked by the amount because in my head, I'm thinking that's close to forty pills a day in total that you're taking. And so but i'd like to think I don't know if this was the case, but I'd like to think I never once judged. I never once. All I did was I wanted her to feel I wanted her to feel my compassion, and I wanted her to feel nurtured, and I wanted her to feel safe. And that was the primary thing for me, was to make her know she was in a safe space and that I was going to make sure she was okay. And I think because hopefully she felt that she was able to really let everything out.
Speaker 2: Yeahhack, the two hours between when you call jem and when she arrived at your house, what were they like for you? What did you do in those two hours?
Speaker 1: I feel like that was a bit of a blur, to be honest. I think it was part shock, part relief, terrified. I think it was all those three things. You know, when you let the steam out finally of the pressure cooker, it's like, oh, well, okay, it's out there. So there was that, and that was There was relief in that for sure, but it was also what does this mean? Now? What does this mean for me? Where do I What is Jema going to say? What am I gonna have to do? I actually didn't think she'd say rehab, So I don't know why I didn't think that, but I thought, oh, no, we're fine. I've got enough to taper off. We're all good.
Speaker 2: After the short break, Gemma makes a plan in the way that only best friends can, and Jackie has to share the truth with her ex husband Lee and her work husband Kyle. Stay with us, we'll be right back. So your plan, because you had about two weeks of stash to taper off, and you knew it was going to be tricky. Yeah, but your hand had been forced. So that was your plan.
Speaker 1: That was my plan.
Speaker 3: Yeap.
Speaker 2: What did Jim think of that plan?
Speaker 1: Terrible? Because she said to me rightly, so no, no, no, that won't work. And I said, yeah, it will, I said, because I have no one to get this stuff off, so I have no choice now, and she goes, no, you will find a way to get it. And I know that you will unless you fix the actual.
Speaker 2: Problem or replace it with someone that's something else. That's right, Yes, And I would have because you understood addiction, Yeah, as you.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 2: Did you think of yourself as an addict yet or that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, I knew obviously I was an addict. What did you? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't think you did based on that.
Speaker 1: Sorry, yeah, I didn't. I knew I was an addict, but I didn't understand what an addict was, right. So I when I say I didn't understand what an addict was, I just meant I had become addicted to something, but I could easily just taper off and stop. And I didn't understand that addiction is so much more than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, like in some people, I'm addicted to coffee and I'm addicted to work. It's like it's a different thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, addicts can be really hard to reason with. And something that we haven't really touched on is the duality of your friendship between friends but also your Jack's manager, agent, manager, both. Yeah, personally, yeah, all of it. Yeah, yeah, which is kind of means Jack's the boss of you and kind of means you're the boss of Jack. Yes, How did you navigate that in the conversations that you had to have on that day when you were saying you're going to rehab and Jack's like, no, not, I don't need to.
Speaker 5: Well, it was always the lens of a friend, and we always put our friendship first. Like we've worked together for many, many years in different capacities, so that's not unusual for us. But our friendship's always come first.
Speaker 2: But a friend can't force another friend to do something. Whereas you had everything in your hand, because you obviously knew if you have an accident, if you get busted, Yeah, you know, there's a lot at stake here apart from your actual health and safety.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll just can I because so Gemma had only just become my manager, not long into it, like we had just decided on that it's a fast art. Yeah, wasn't it to talk about throwing her into the deep end. But in the past when things like this have come up, certainly never anything like what happened then, but little things. Gemma is really good in keeping me on I guess advice, and I've always taken her advice very seriously, And I think it goes back to our friendship. Really started to bond tightly when she became EP of the show. So she would always say to me, I think it's a good idea if you do this, I think this is great. I think you know, this will sound really good on air, and I know it's uncomfortable, and so I've always really valued her advice. And I think that day when you said about the rehab, I can't speak for you, but I never felt for a second you had any managerial hat or career hat on at all at all. Yeah, I didn't at all.
Speaker 2: And did you have jack that muscle memory of she makes good decisions?
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, because anyone else could have said that to me, my mom, Yeah, you know, anyone could have said that and I would have dismissed it and gone forget it, no way, no how. But with Jemma, I've always known that she does actually you know, I really do value what she says. And so I might have said I'm not going to rehab, that's ridiculous, and I reckon ten seconds later, I was like, okay. Then it was very like, yeah, okay, I can't. Really it was probably a bit more than ten seconds. Yeah, it was, I'll tell you what. It went back and forth. So I agreed, and then I pushed it back again and I said to wait, I don't think this is you know. So there was definite resistance for a while. Yeah, but she has a one of.
Speaker 2: The things that surprised me and I found so interesting. I mean, everything in this book I found so interesting, but the part about where they say at rehab, between booking and arriving, you have to keep taking exactly the same amount of whatever it is you're addicted to until you get there. Can you explain that?
Speaker 5: Jem Sure, so, because in Jack's circumstance, she hadn't called herself. They still won't admit someone until the person says, yes, I am willing to come, because it's voluntary exactly, And so I did all the initial stuff with them, but then I did have Jack had to then get on the phone with them and confirm that she was willing to come and answer all of their questions. And then they spoke to me again and they really expressed to me that what can commonly occur is with people who know they're going into rehab, they can either try and really massively.
Speaker 1: Overdose, have a go out.
Speaker 5: They think, well, this is my last time to go hard, and that can be extremely dangerous and is also when there's often fatalities.
Speaker 2: I was reading about someone recently who died on their way to rehab, and I didn't realize it was a celebrity. I didn't realize how why that was. I was like, surely by the time you've decided to go to rehab. Yeah, yeah, but yeah, your book helped me understand.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And that hadn't occurred to me either me or so when they said it, I was like, oh, okay, they said, so that's a real concern to be aware of. And also they'll try and pretend that they're tapering off and that they can do it, and then they'll go, see, I don't need to go now I've actually now taken like less and both options are actually very dangerous. So they said it's really important that she takes the same amount, and so I had to monitor that for that week, which was really strange.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you needed to be very closely supervised and not left alone that week.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I stayed with her the whole week.
Speaker 2: Yeah. What about your life, jem, Like, that's a big thing, because you were not just on your way to the you know, you're going in the way to your kids. You have two kids. Were you still married at that point? No, so you're a single mum. Yeah, you have two little kids and you literally you've got a life of career, a family. You had to put everything on hold, not just for that week, but to also fly over with Jack because she couldn't go on her own and admit her all the way to the gate. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what a friend. That's why I say everyone needs a friend like Gemma.
Speaker 5: And I always say one day, I'm sure I'll ask for something.
Speaker 1: And I hope you do scenario No.
Speaker 5: I Yeah, I was very lucky that I have a good relationship thankfully with my ex husband. We co parent really well together and we're still friends, and so I was able to say to him, which is also very rare, because you know, I spend so much time the kids are with me a lot. I was able to say to him, Hey, just I need you to take the kids for a week, and so why and I just am asking you as a favor, could she help me out? And I think because he knows they're with me so much, and he's a good guy in that sense that he said sure, like you know, you very rarely asked me to step in, and I'm happy too, so he did. But I also knew that I only had a week because I actually then had to get back to the kids. And I'm also one of those this is one of the things I'm working on on myself. We're all, you know, evolving into as we get older. But is that I am so dedicated to my kids like most parents are, but mine's probably unhealthily so to the point where I never want to leave them.
Speaker 2: I tell you love helicopter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm like a helicopter. I just love being with them and so when I'm not with them, I get terrible guilt. But I you know, for that week, there was nothing obviously more important to me than getting jack the help that she needed. So I was fortunate enough that in my personal life a few things aligned, but even I had to make up things because I had like work commitments that week and I'd have to say, oh, I've just got to go on a trip now for work, so I'm gonna have to push that out, or friends and were meant to be coming to, you know, stay with me for the weekend. The following weekend, I had to say, I've got a work trip, which was also because I also everyone knows that we're so tightly connected. So I also was mindful that if anyone figures out, well, why is she away and she's also away, that's a bit weird.
Speaker 2: Like, so I was trying to, you know, make sure that there was no moving. There were so many movings because you had to call your ex husband, but Jackie also had to call yours, yeah, and tell him what was that conversation?
Speaker 1: Like it was kind of short, and I mean the thing with with my ex husband, Lee, I think you know, he could probably tell in a way that there was problems there, and I think for him, he was just very he was empathetic and understanding. He had no judgment, and he said, I think that's wonderful. I think it's so good that you're addressing it then, and you know, I will take care of Kitty and she you know, And because we had to figure out how do I because she likes to FaceTime, how am I going to FaceTime her and rehab? What am I going to say? And so we came up with the idea of it being a radio conference and you know that I would be overseas and and Lee was yeah, he I mean, that's the thing with Lee, he is just one of the greatest guys to co parent with. I mean, we were great together in our marriage, but he has never made anything difficult for me and vice versa.
Speaker 2: Both.
Speaker 1: Yeah, incredible.
Speaker 2: I won't say I mean lucky. Yes, because the guys that you were married could have been assholes or could have become assholes after you divorced. And it takes two people to make a good relationship after a divorce. But what about the conversation you had to make to your other husband or your other part husband called Kyle?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kyle, it was It was just difficult because I didn't know if he was going to ask questions. That's what I was worried about because with Kyle, I didn't want to. I didn't want to lie to anyone. I didn't want to, and so I was able to stick to the truth somewhat in saying that I'm just not getting better and I need to take this time off otherwise. And it did seem odd because we were three weeks away from being on a long holiday anyway, So I knew that for him that would be a little bit odd, like why can't she just hang in there for three weeks? She always hangs in there.
Speaker 2: You know. And I said, I have my COVID my lung infection.
Speaker 1: I'm not I just need it. And you know, I said to him, I'm struggling, like I did tell him that, and he was like, yeah, Okay, it's gonna be shit, but I get it, and I'm you know, you do what you got to do, and don't ask that many questions. No, they don't do. They just take everything to face value.
Speaker 2: In another part of your book, when you start dating, not a lot of questions. I do take things at face value.
Speaker 1: They really do, and we should take them at phase value at the time.
Speaker 2: Maybe we asked too many questions before we get to the logistics, and I'm not going to talk about rehab itself, because you go into that so beautifully and interestingly in the book. I want you to be to explain what addiction looked like, because from the way we've been talking, you know, I was taking too many pills and then I was a bit tired and blah blah, and I had to hide it, but talk about the physical effects and what it did to your life.
Speaker 1: So in the there's very different stages of it. So in the beginning, when I had just separated and was new to it and using it as a coping mechanism, it was quite It was affecting me quite visibly, I think, and because my behavior was strange in that early stage. Now I was just going through a separation from not only my husband but also fifty percent of the time with my child, and so friends would come over, but they would also see that I was drinking like a goblet of wine. So they just put it down to that going through a divorce turning to a bit more alcohol than she should. But we've seen that play out many times, so it doesn't warrant an intervention by any means. But in those stages, I mean, I would the particularly the still knocks would just have a great effect, so you would take one. I would kind of wait until later in the day for that, because you know who wakes up and takes a still Knox. That didn't happen till later. And then once I had that still knox with the alcohol I'd already been drinking during the day, then you have this sort of blackout like and I don't mean blackouts, and you're on the bed, collapsed and you sleep for you know, hours on end. You're functioning normally, but you can't remember anything you did the night before. And I remember waking up one morning and I got this message from this guy who I haven't even said this in the book. I got a message from a guy and he said, oh, like, yeah, that sounds good, he said, but you know you should be careful who you say something like that too. And I was like, oh my god, what did I say to this guy? Would I say? And I scrolled back up to have a look, and I think I'd said to him something like hey, because we'd been on a date or something, and I said to him, hey, do you want to be friends with benefits? I mean, fuck, I'm mortified at the thought of even asking a guy that this guy was. This guy was I barely knew him. He was on TV and everyone knew this guy. And I thought, I've just asked this guy to be friends with benefits and I would never have done that sober, Yeah, And so I would see these things. The next day. I'd almost wake up in fear of what did I do? And I would scroll through my phone for evidence. I'd go, who did I text? What did I say? Because you become like this, it's almost like you want to chat, and you want to You've got all this kind of the idea seems so good in your head at the time, but then when you're sober and you wake up the next day, you go, what on earth was I thinking? So it was very destructive outer character behavior and scary to think that you are doing things that you don't remember. And then it got to a point where I'd have to write post it notes to remind myself of what I was doing, conversation and conversations I'd had. And then just in terms of the feeling, there wasn't actually even that great a feeling with it. It was more just the way I would like and it was just like it was numbing pain.
Speaker 2: What about the ulcer that also was that?
Speaker 1: I mean like I had this ulco where it was because of neurofy and plus and so I had no idea that iyberprofen would cause that kind of damage.
Speaker 2: And it was like such vast quantities on an empty stomach without.
Speaker 1: Absolutely they even say, I think when you normally take it, even on an empty stomach can be dangerous and you can get ulcers. So taking too much of iberprof and I wasn't even looking at the eyberprofen. I was just looking at the codeine. I wasn't even thinking about that. And little did I know that that had a severe side effect. So the consequences of all of that, Yeah, like were so leading. Ray didn't you? Yeah, yeah I did. I did, And it was really really big.
Speaker 2: You talk about how you became, You retreated from the world. You didn't want to go out, you didn't want to see your friends. The only time you'd see your friends is if they came to you. It was also COVID, so you just became more and more you know, closed it away. But then even when restrictions lifted, you didn't want to leave your self imposed prison.
Speaker 1: No, I was almost like, oh damn, the restrictions are lifted. That means like everyone, well, yeah, everyone's getting out and socializing again. And I didn't want to, like because COVID just all the ingredients were there. It was the perfect recipe for a lot of people. Yeah you could, Yeah you really could. And working from home just you know, gave us a lot of us an excuse to escape and not have any real you know, you didn't have half of your responsibilities were gone sometimes, you know, you didn't have to drive, and so therefore we could drink more. And so yeah, it was it was just like this kind of perfect storm, the moment in time that just all added to the convenience of making that situation worse and enabling it, you know. And so it was when the restrictions were lifted and people started socializing again, that was hard because I was still isolating myself away and I was very well aware that I was just not living life at all, but thinking it was better than what everyone else was doing.
Speaker 2: That was something that was so interesting in your book. You described I'd look at everybody else and I'd feel pity for them. It's like I'm just having a much better time with my pills, and then how after rehabit flipped and when you're like you just appreciated everything so much, jem I want to ask about the logistics of getting someone famous. And that wasn't the end of my conversation with Jackie and Jemma. There is still a lot of ground to cover, like how did Jemma manage to get jack out of the country without being hounded by the paps? And what was rehab like and more importantly, most importantly, how's she going now. We also spoke about why the world was so obsessed with her weight and what the true story was behind that. Like I said, so much more meet us in part two. We'll be waiting for you. There's a link in the show notes.