Speaker 1: You're listening to a Muma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and borders that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 3: From Mama Mia. Welcome to the Spill your daily pop culture fix.
Speaker 2: I'm m Verna and I'm Laura Brodnick, and you're back from your jet study.
Speaker 3: I'm so happy to be back. I mean, I love you and ash I love me more.
Speaker 1: Oh, I know that's literally your brand.
Speaker 3: No, I'm really really happy to be back. I was lucky enough to spend a week overseas at Singapore. It was actually my first international trip since COVID, so in four years. Really, Yeah, isn't that crazy?
Speaker 2: And you're on a for meals so you get to go write a travel writing article, which is so far good.
Speaker 3: But I did want to talk about quickly. This is not part of the episode, and I haven't told you. I haven't told you what I'm okay. I usually raw dog flights yet serious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I sit there, even an international flight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I sit there and watch the flight.
Speaker 1: That's my worst night, I know.
Speaker 3: But I decided to get some movies under my belt. So there are a few movies I haven't seen. Couldn't find them on streaming, so I wanted to kind of check them off my list. So two movies I've watched back to back was June two. That's a tough one for a plane and Furiosa. Oh no, that's better for a plane. I am convinced they are the same movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Everything I think about when I think about these two movies, I've merged into one.
Speaker 2: So usually probably exhausted and you're watching them half asleep.
Speaker 1: They're so similar.
Speaker 3: There's like people fighting in a desert, fighting over water. There are like pale bald people who sacrifice their lives. It's the same movie.
Speaker 1: Actually, you're right.
Speaker 2: They are unofficially part of the same kinematic universe.
Speaker 3: The sand storms like it's the same movie. So if you haven't watched either of them, just watch one.
Speaker 2: A good double feature and you'll get the or just watch one you'll get the overall plot of one.
Speaker 3: Anyway, On the show today, Tammy Hembro got married this weekend, and we have some logistical questions plus the press tour that we're holding space for the first.
Speaker 2: First, if you cast your mind back to October, a Timothy Chalamey lookalike contest took place and it really unleashed hell upon Earth because since then we've had a poor mescal look.
Speaker 1: Like competition doubles. I was there for that.
Speaker 2: I know you would have fallen over for that. Harry Styles looked like competition in London, and then a Jeremy Allen White look like competition in Chicago where the prize there was only fifty dollars and some cigarettes. But you know, lots of men expensive. They are expensive in this economy. And so about a month later, because Australia always behind the times, always just a little off the trends, about a month later, this trend has come to our shores and this weekend we had to look like competitions here in Australia.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the first one was a heath Ledger looked like competition in Sydney, and you and I were busy.
Speaker 1: Gals.
Speaker 2: We didn't go, but we know someone who did and we have brought her on the pod. We forced her into the pod. It's Mma MIA's social media producer Olivia James. Hi name, Hello Live. So Olivia James does all of our red carpet reporting, so you might her from her break up.
Speaker 1: Content from the logis asking celebrities how to heal a.
Speaker 2: Broken heart, asking Chris Hemsworth to give you a rental application.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was one of the recommendations. Yeah, and it worked.
Speaker 3: Basically asked celebrities for life advice and then dislocating your shoulder just after interviewing Paul mescal at the Gladiator Too premiere.
Speaker 1: Not on purpose, though, I would like to say that it was not on purpose. But we saw the video, we know, yeah, we heard it.
Speaker 2: So this weekend, you put your life on the line by going to a heath Ledger look like competition. So well, I want to know how did you know this was happening. Where did that information come from?
Speaker 1: I saw it on can we Drop Miss Double Bay? Yeah, her Instagram. So I saw it on her Instagram story and then I took it to our upper dogshad of content, head of content. I called them the big dogs whatever, and I said, look, this is going down and she went great, and I was a poster somewhere. Yeah, so then this is an interesting room a right. Yeah. So then there's some posters that were being like circulated on Twitter or x and Tina came up to me and said, I'm not convinced that this isn't all you're doing? And I said, what do you mean? She goes there's posters around this office. That was a poster in front of the office. Yeah, and I said, I will not confirm nor deny. Did you put that post it there? No? Okay, I don't believe you now maybe.
Speaker 2: So I thought that was very confused. I thought that was just really targeted marketing. They've got one post in smart in all of Sydney, and they've put it in front of their office, which is the correct to go.
Speaker 1: No, exactly, So I didn't do the poster delicious.
Speaker 3: It was just a happy coincident.
Speaker 1: It was in front office. It was meant to be. It was fate, that's what we'll say. Okay, So where was a meet up? It was at Kemptown Park in Newtown. Perfect location, really good location because I don't know, think about Heath Led.
Speaker 3: I feel like he led your looks would be living in.
Speaker 1: That they would, you know, I would absolutely. I said, that's whoever's organizing this is really smart, wasn't me.
Speaker 3: So what were you expecting? We're expecting a big turnout?
Speaker 1: Look. It was interesting because immediately when I saw it, I was like, as a social media producer. I was like, this is like Willy Wonker's chocolate factory, but bread and butter. I was like, there's millions of views that could come out of this. There was no way I wasn't going to go. Then I raised it to a few other people who kind of pulled back, and they said, this might be really freaky. There might be people that rock up dressed as the Joker.
Speaker 2: That's what I was expecting when I was looking at your videos. I was like, I was thinking that creepy man.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but that's freaky. Like I'm like, you can't just dress up as something that like everyone can and say that you're this dude.
Speaker 3: And I was, I mean, that's what people did for the other ones. What do you mean they dressed up like Jerem Allen White in character as the Bear.
Speaker 2: Still the Bears like his like a sexy chef, or Willy Wonka, which was the two things he were dressing up as a lot more threatening than the Joker.
Speaker 3: You know, which one I really wanted to go to that We forgot to mention which one did the dead Petel look like?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah?
Speaker 2: Anyway back to so what did you see when you walked into the park.
Speaker 1: When I saw I have five minutes early, which I thought, I was like, everyone will be there by then, no one, Oh, of course.
Speaker 2: Okay to look like notoriously, And we have to consider that Heat Ledger is very very good looking, whereas Jerry Allen White Poor Mescal.
Speaker 3: Also good looking. But I feel like that could be anyone.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I actually more than every man.
Speaker 1: Really, if I saw someone.
Speaker 3: Of the Poor Mescal in Newtown, I wouldn't give him a sake.
Speaker 2: There was like a fifty men who look like poor Mescal walking around Newtown. I don't know if I agree with that.
Speaker 1: I think they have more distinctive features that are harder to get like, harder to look like than Heath. Like he's got the shaggy cut, he's got the blonde hair, and he's tanned, and he just looks like every Australian guy that people like fantasize about. Okay, I respect that. Yeah I did it.
Speaker 2: So you got there early? There was no one there? When did no one start rocking up?
Speaker 1: So okay, yeah, no one's there, but every publication in their dog So like I walked up and I said, right, well, I felt like I was I was gearing up for like the hundred meters, but in our industry.
Speaker 2: I was like, Holy, everyone's here to get the scoop.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then that very yes, I was very I had no one with me and I said, I've got to wait for my cameraman. And then they got in and started doing interviews with the organizers and I was like, I'm going in the loan. I went in alone. And then they were setting it up. They were doing like the voucher stuff, and I was interviewing one of the organizers and I was like, oh gosh, like, no one's going to rock up to this thing. It started at three. It was probably three oh three, and I was like, oh, there's going to be no one here. And then out of like the bushes. I've got the perfect video of it too. This guy rounds the corner and everyone's next snap and look at him, and one of the organizers starts yelling, there's a hey, hey, hey, And then I think people started parroting it. I think I might have Oh god, I've started going hey. Then he rounds the corner. He's confident, he comes in with the shades, he's got a vintage Chaine on. Oh, very good looking man and I grab him.
Speaker 3: I go, oh, how are you feeling like a young heath Ledger.
Speaker 1: Young heath Ledger, like sandy hair, And I interviewed him. He thought he had it in the bag. As soon as I finished interview him, I turn around again. Oh no, that from the opposite direction, and.
Speaker 3: This guy it's very like, choose your fight.
Speaker 1: Again. Then I started going, oh my god, there's two guys here already that could win it, like they absolutely could win. And then that's when the ball started rolling. There was about like fifteen people in the end. I m's good turnout, a very good turnout.
Speaker 3: Also, you have to have some certain level of ego to be like, I look like.
Speaker 1: One of the hottest men in the world. Yeah, I know. I asked them that too. I asked everyone. I was like, were you a bit nervous about coming today? None of them said yes.
Speaker 2: I think when you're just like.
Speaker 1: Whatever, only men can do this, only men, only men. But basically probably out of the fifteen I reckon, there was five that absolutely could have won.
Speaker 3: Wow, Wow, are you happy with the winner?
Speaker 1: I was really happy with the winner. I got to meet the winner straight away. He came up and he was with his brother, and his brother was like, you know, my brother, he's really shy, but my parents have worked really hard for this, and I really just wanting to crack. He's trying to crack a few jokes. I was letting him just get away with it. I was like, oh yeah, oh Heath, yeah, Mini yeah, and then he he goes. He was like, he was like, I know he's got it. I know he's got a filling in my bones. And I was like, I don't know, man, Like there's a lot of heaths around. And then he did win, and the brother was so cute. We go, what are you going to do with the fifty one dollars that you've won? And he goes, I'm going to just take my brother out for dinner.
Speaker 3: Oh the real Heath Ledger would have died.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That was really cute. What an event for you. It was excellent. That wasbably around two hundred and fifty people there. Wow. Yeah, And there was like we all started seeing can like is it can't take my eyes off you? Yeah?
Speaker 2: From Ten Things I Had About You, that's one of Heath Ledger's most famous movie scenes where he is the dreamiest.
Speaker 1: Yes, and that has gone very well for us on socials of all of them singing a bit of that. Oh not for a good reason.
Speaker 2: It's a hard watch. Yeah, they're they're all a bit off, so c got to be pretty. I just yeah, I love how this is taking off. But it's so funny what you're saying about there being heaps of media there but no actual look alike, because that's what happened at the Jacoberlordi contest in Melbourne, except no Jacobs appeared, like the Heaths appeared. So the organizers went there. I was reading a recap on the Guardian written by Patrick Lenton and like, no one showed up, and the organizer said Alisha, who was interviewed by the Guardian, said that she had five friends sign up and say they would come, but they didn't actually turn up. So then herself and the other organizers started combing the park nearby because they all this media had turned up apparently, and all these people had turned up, all these girls, and like Jacob Alrdi's shirt had turned up, not one Jacob. So they started combing the streets and they sound a few and then they ended up finding a guy who looked called Maxie, who's a student who looked like Jacob Alrdi did he actually though apparently he did the photo apparently he did, and he won just because he happened to be walking through the park at the time. And the organizer of the event was into you by the Guardian and she's like, I'm blowing away. It's crazy that a guy literally off the street ended up looking more like Jacob a Lordie than anyone we could have ever hoped, but no one turned up.
Speaker 1: Melbourne, mel Melbourne, Time to move to Melbourne. That's crazy.
Speaker 2: It's interesting over two hundred people talking out the park and like you saying it was a fun day out, because I think that's actually why people are flocking to these things. It's like, yes, it's the it's the funniness of like you could meet a death Betel, you could meet a Heath Ledger look like you could meet a Jacob a Lordie look alike. But I think also people are just especially if you're into your generation offense, who are the ones going to these things are just starved for like social instruction and places to go.
Speaker 3: I fell in love a picnic.
Speaker 1: No, I fell in love with the organizers. The organizers did it because they're comedians and they wanted to see it to promote their comedy show, and I was like, yeah, we worry. I was like, you're so funny.
Speaker 3: If you're listening, you have a very single lip.
Speaker 2: If you went to fall in love with a Heath, but you fell in love with the comedy guys organizing it.
Speaker 3: That's a perfect me cuite.
Speaker 1: That's pretty much what happened.
Speaker 2: I was like, Wow, surely some people out of this have to be dating. Because out of the Timothy shallow may one that set this whole thing off, they were saying which Timothy's were single when they came out. They're like, this one's single in the crowd and go whoo. And then when when the Timothy got off stage, he would be swept into the crowd. So I feel like some people from there are dating.
Speaker 3: They should have done that for the Heath time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like all they were all nah, like would you want a date a Heath that goes like a guy that goes yeah, I look like Heath Ledger and I'm going to go and compete. Maybe I'd like.
Speaker 3: It would be quite funny. I think I'd find him very self assured and confident.
Speaker 1: Okay, well then okay, fine, and now I feel bad, so thank you.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel like this trend is going to keep on going, especially because you just want somewhere to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, honestly I was a bit jealous of the guys that we're seeing. I was like, gosh, that's my dream. Just one, Yeah, I would love that. Which, actually, which celeb should we do next?
Speaker 2: Which did we organize one?
Speaker 1: This one?
Speaker 3: But then you know who we should do? Jonathan Bailey, Oh Bailey, And.
Speaker 2: They have to dance and ride a horse before they can compete.
Speaker 1: I've got a horse, I know. I thought that was funny.
Speaker 2: So over the weekend a very important Australian wedding took place. Yes, now you might not think that this was something that you know, Australia would stop for, but if you looked at all the new sides and how people were getting this information, it was a very big deal. So it was the wedding of Tammy Hembro, who is I think most people know Who's.
Speaker 3: Australia is Kylie Jemmer.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh, yeah's you know, Austraia's answer to the Kardashian So but no, she're in she owns a label showns like a fitness empire. She's been a long term influencer, she wrote a book, She's done a lot of things. And Matt Sakowski, who is also a podcast or an influencer, that was on Love Island and there was a big build up around it because you know, they're both influencers, they're both public figures, they've both got a huge fan base, and it was big news when they first got together. And I had a weird front row seat to it.
Speaker 3: What do you mean you saw it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw it. It was very reminiscent. Actually, they both happened at stand events. Maybe stand events the place to see romances before they kick off.
Speaker 3: Because Sam, I'm ready for my next in fire.
Speaker 2: It's like when people were just like no reader Ora and Taiker w with tit aren't together. And then I sat behind them at a stand event and they were making out the whole time, and I was like, we're obviously together.
Speaker 1: And so I hope so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, otherwise they're just kissing, which is also cute, but no. Temmy Hambra and Matt first made their like big relationship appearance at the premiere of Court, which is a stand series in September of last year, and.
Speaker 3: I remember plans getting commission for ye.
Speaker 2: Well, I've just said their name got five times, so I'm sure they're doing okay. I remember I was at the red carpet for Court because it was like the biggest train productions. The opera house was massive, and all of a sudden, like I think a lot of the stars had already come past, so people were starting to sort of pack down, and like all of a sudden, all the photographers next to me started like quickly like grabbing their cameras and jumping up, and people started yelling, and I was like, oh my god, has like Nicole Kibban made a surprise appearance at the Court premiere. She wasn't on the guest list. But no, it wasn't Nicole or Russell or anyone like that. It was Tammy walking down the red carpet with Matt And that was the big first confirmation they were together.
Speaker 1: They didn't confirm it on the night. They didn't They didn't do their hand in hand.
Speaker 2: They had a few sneaky little I don't how much of it caught caught on camera, but I didn't spy. Once we were inside, some hand holding so that was.
Speaker 1: A big deal.
Speaker 2: And then they got engaged like a few months later, and that was like all pictures everywhere of that of this like tropical Island engagement. But because they had only been together for a few months, at least publicly at the time, it was big news.
Speaker 3: But I thought they broke up, Like I remember seeing the engagement and then didn't they bak because I unfollowed each other on Instagram and then they weren't spotted together. So now I'm confused.
Speaker 1: Married. Yeah, now they're married.
Speaker 2: So the build up to their relationship was marked by that, Like, these aren't people that I follow super closely, but it's one of those things where like they are just in the news cycle when yeah, something happened. So they unfollowed and followed each other multiple times leading up.
Speaker 1: To the wedding. Okay, but as far as we know, never called off the engagement.
Speaker 3: See, this is how I act with my situationship. So you wouldn't want to act like this with my fiance.
Speaker 1: It's quite a public statement to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, because she has over seventeen million followers.
Speaker 2: Yes, and they wouldn't know people would be following closely, So I get the feeling maybe they would just I mean, I don't know these people at all. This is a wild guess that they were just maybe having little TIFFs as most people do in the lid up to their wedding. And then instead of just having a little tiff and going like for a drive or going into the other room and like looking at TikTok for an hour, you don't follow each other.
Speaker 3: It's a new generations version of the silent treatment.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But then every time they did that, multiple news articles chronicling it got to the stage where someone was just like if it's like any day of the week, it's like a follow or an unfollow, Like it was just swinging back and forth in the lead up to it. And then there were all these rumors that Matt had like been seen with other women in the lead up to the wedding, and then he came out and said, I wasn't cheating on her. I was just with I was on like a PR trip kind of like you're going to Singapore, but this is with the famous people. He was on a PR trip and the women he was with with the same management, so they were.
Speaker 1: On like a rest.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, I'm allowed to be.
Speaker 2: And there was also footage that was taken of her her bachelorette party crying and it looked like that they had had a fight. But then she came out afterwards. This is what happened.
Speaker 3: That's when you know it's a good bachelorette party. Someone I was gonna cry.
Speaker 2: And it's probably the bride. She's emotional. There's a lot happening. And then she came in and said that she wasn't crying over Matt, that like ended the night together. So like I believe that, yeah, being back and forth. So anyway, photos of their wedding were shared by the Daily Mail, like I think while the ceremony was still going on, and they feel dirty.
Speaker 3: But I did perv on these photos. Oh you did have a little look, yes, because I was quite interested in how the guests were seated.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is what everyone is saying. I didn't pick that up at first. I mean I looked at it and thought that's a bit odd.
Speaker 1: So then I'm moved on.
Speaker 2: But then I saw everyone saying, like, the biggest takeaway is how these people are seating, So why did you think it was?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: So, firstly, it's a paparazzi shot we shouldn't be indulging in this, And it looks like they.
Speaker 2: Had drone cameras all like old school they would have had helicopters, but it looks like they just had drones and like I said, they were releasing them as I think the wedding was still going on.
Speaker 3: Drones are still loud. Oh, like that would have interrupted anyway. So the seating, it was like in Byron Bay, this massive house mansion, I think it was. I didn't see how she walked down the aisle, but I was really intrigued to find out how because there's a massive pool in the middle, and then there's guests seated on either side of the pool, and then at the head of the pool was like Tammy and mad doing the ceremony. But the weird thing was is that the guests were facing each other like as if it was a runway, as the pool was a runway, and the guests were facing the pool, so they all had to kind of turn their bodies to face the front to look at Tammy. And there was also these massive hedges between the guests and Tammy. So I'm not sure the people at the front of the seat could see them because of the massive hedge in between.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like, I know, it's a fancy wedding, but it almost felt like it was done for the aerial shots. Yes, yeah, because it looked amazing from above, but when you look closer, it was Logistics were questionable and this is why. Obviously fancy wedding. But unless she walked on water, she couldn't have walked, which is very crazy.
Speaker 3: Do you think she could have walked on I don't know.
Speaker 2: She's a very successful smart Maybe she figured that out because she That means she couldn't have walked down the aisle a.
Speaker 3: Side like either walk along the side.
Speaker 1: Oh the way was she going? I love how this is what we stuck. I do think she came from the front. Actually there wasn't that.
Speaker 2: I think that's becoming a really big trend, especially with celebrity weddings, of coming from the front and walking towards the guest and the groom. That's what Alex Cooper from Call Her Daddy did. Act. She just did no, no, no, Yeah, she came from the front, so she walked.
Speaker 3: You know what she could have done like had a stage and then appeared from underground.
Speaker 1: Like Taylor Swift. That would have been amazing.
Speaker 3: I think that's what she think.
Speaker 1: She came out on right.
Speaker 2: Everything's possible with these people so much money, and it just looked incredible.
Speaker 1: I just if you were at the wedding.
Speaker 2: We don't want to know any other personal details. It's not our business. If someone could just give us an answer to the logistical question of how that bride got to the altar, because she had the runners were.
Speaker 3: A flower girl was a page board, so they also would have had to appear somehow.
Speaker 2: Yes, So she's got three kids and I think they were in the wedding, and then she had her sisters who were also like famous influences, and they were.
Speaker 3: Standing on the grass with the heels, and the men were standing on concrete.
Speaker 2: Maybe they all got lowered down and helicopters. I mean, it did look beautiful. She had like almost like a pinkish dress on, like it was very wicked too. Yeah, it was very wicked pressed to it, and then the bride'smaids were in black and it was all very sexy. What I thought was interesting is like a documentary or a TV special or something on that on that wedding, on the build up to it would just go absolutely nuts. And when you were any Kardashian's wedding, Yeah, that's what we actually needed. We needed like a wedding special. And it's interesting that we keep kind of referring to the Kardashians because ten me Hember out and she hates this being brought up.
Speaker 1: But she's not listening to this, so it's fine.
Speaker 2: But she first got very famous internationallybe she was carried out of Kaylie Jenner's party. That's how I knew her, and she writes about that in her book, and she did a lot of interviews about it. Actually she didn't into your No Filter. We'll link in them if you want to listen to that. But then she and her sisters did start filming a reality TV show that was meant to be Australia's answers to Keeping Up the Kadashians years ago, and there's conflicting reports of like whether it got canceled on the network side orhere they couldn't even find a distributor or I think the girls have said over the years that they didn't want to do it, So there's a lot of conflicting reports. But I just think we really need that show.
Speaker 3: Yes, Oh my god, I would watch that. So one of their sisters actually followed me on Instagram once. Oh really yeah, when I was in my girl boss era, and then when I started doing low brow stuff she unfollowed.
Speaker 1: Oh that's fair, she's got tasting.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Congrats to Tammy and mad and yes, please get in touch with this and just let us know how you walk down that aisle.
Speaker 3: Please, So, if you have any form of social media, you would I've seen a very specific press tool has been infiltrating your feeds. So I am clearly talking about the press interviews that the Wicked cast are still doing. And I say still doing because we were lucky. We were one of the first they had their worldwide premier. We were the first stop of the press te You were like, probably the top ten interviews do you get with them? And I remember when we were dissecting your interview with them, and you were saying that it's such a deep movie, right, such an emotionally driven movie about female friendship connection not being able to fit in. So all of the interviews naturally were quite deep and emotional, and you were saying how it's hard when you're doing interviews back to back back to back, to constantly be in that emotional state. However, they haven't caught a break, because no.
Speaker 1: They really haven't, because they're still.
Speaker 3: Doing interviews in the US, and I think the US press tool in particular is where we're starting to get the memifications of the Wicked press in general. So these interviews, they are all so so deep, and I think that's mainly because a lot of the interviewers are also massive fans of Wicked, kind of like you like, to the point where it's like their life, Like they're like, I'm so happy the movie did the musical justice. I think it's fair to say that everyone's been loving this movie like we did, and everyone just wants that deep emotional interview with Ariana Grande and Cynthia Ribo, to the point where I think that no matter what the question is asked to them, their answer is just immediately cry.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because I think what people aren't seeing, what you're saying from some of this press too, it is what's happening to the journalists before they walk into the room. So it's become this huge parody and it is funny and it's into it's a big cultural moment of Ariano and Cynthia being like very breathless and crying and very emotional no matter what the question is. And I think the flip side of that, what you're not seeing is what's happening in the room outside.
Speaker 1: And I wrote ah recap of.
Speaker 2: This because I felt like I had to capture the moment is because I've never seen anything like it before. So as I was waiting to go in, and I was waiting with all the journalists in Australia who were doing the interviews with the Wicked cast, Plus they had flown in international press from all of these different countries, so pretty much everyone on this side of the world was doing the interviews in that room, and people were crying in the hallways before they went in, and then people were coming out sobbing, and so that's all Arianna and the Cynthia scene is everyone crying, everyone having an emotional breakdown. And usually when you see people crying at junkets, it's afterwards because the celeb's been really mean to them, and it was like a crying contagion, like one's everyone because like I wasn't planning to cry in there, obviously cried during the movie because and I thought I was having a special experience in such a die hard, wicked fan. I got there and I was like, no, we're all having the same experience. And then I even felt like a few tears pricking my eyes as I was going in because watching everyone else cry, and then I thought about what a big moment was for me. I didn't cry in the entire mo and then afterwards I felt like a failure because I didn't cry. I was like, maybe I should have because everyone but it's like a crying contagion that you're seeing, and I think we're just all passing it to each other. And then they're just seeing that come at them every day, which is why they're being so emotional, So that's what's happening. And those are also the interviews that are being shared on social media, and that are like picking up traction in the algorithm, So like there's a bunch of normal interviews they've done, but you're only seeing the over the top ones because they're the ones that the algorithm is favoring at the moment. So it's also giving this illusion they're crying all the time. They're probably not, because like towards the end, of the day. They weren't crying on my press stage.
Speaker 1: Everyone was going to.
Speaker 2: Be like I love Wicked and they're like thanks, because they were like, I can't do this anymore.
Speaker 1: Over it.
Speaker 3: That's the thing, though, because I think a lot of people have seen the interviews where they're emotional and stuff, and this includes the interviewers to the point where I've noticed and I've watched a lot of interviews on this press tool where the interviewers aren't necessarily asking them questions, but I'm all making statements waiting for them to react because they want that emotional yeah. And I'm like their actors, like your job is to ask the questions and they're meant to answer. So there's this one interview. I'm sure you would have seen it. It's gone absolutely viral. So the interview's name is Tracy E. Gilchrist, and she talks about the song Defying Gravity, which is the last song of this film, and then it goes into it and the biggest song from the musical overall. It's like the song that even if you don't know the musical, you note this song. And she says people are taking the lyrics of defining Gravity and are really holding space with that?
Speaker 2: Can I say this was like a cold water being thrown over me when I saw this interview, it was like a slap across the face because it like almost knocked me out of how crazy I have been over this wicked press tour as well, because when I first saw that, I took that with a lot of sincerity and I was like, yeah, I am holding space with the lyrics of defining gravity. And I was like, wait, what what's happened.
Speaker 3: I don't think anyone knew what it meant because she said.
Speaker 2: That, but I do somehow in a spiritual level, know what she means. But she's taken what every journalist has done, and she just crossed the line a little bit too far into like woo territory, and as a society we snapped.
Speaker 3: Back holding space with that. I think. So what she did, she said, they're really holding space with that. And I just want you to know this. I've seen this week people are taking the lyrics of defying gravity and really holding space with that and feeling power in that.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that that was happening. I've seen it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's really powerful.
Speaker 1: That's why I wanted. Yeah, I didn't know that was happening.
Speaker 3: It's not a question, right, So Cynthia and Harri are kind of looking at her, and then you can see in Cynthia's head like something switches and she's like, oh, she wants me to be emotional.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And she just kind of.
Speaker 3: Puts her hand on her chest and she's like, I didn't know this, what's happening. And then she's like, that's really powerful.
Speaker 2: That's what I want because you could take that answer and put that tinely every Wicked question. She's answered like, that's really.
Speaker 3: Her hands on her thing, and Irina grabbed her finger.
Speaker 2: The finger grab which has become its own moment in pop culture. So for the whole press tours, Cynthia River has had these incredible long, embellish nails, and because she speaks with her hands so much, and like I did shake her hands with that touch, the nails they're very nice because she speaks to the hands so much. They've been a real center point of all her interviews and each one's like an homage to like different parts of Wicked and stuff. Like the storytelling layering here is very intense. So I love that at the end of the breast tour, The nail got its own moment because Arione Grande, who's got a very small hand, is like they hold hands in every interview, and like they hug in every interview, and they like lie on each other like they're very emotional. And I think she reached over to grab Cynthia's hand and couldn't get a whole hand, but she did get one finger. Instead of pulling a hand back, she just really committed to holding onto that finger.
Speaker 3: And I think that whole like that interview was just bizarre because she was like that's so powerful, and like she kind of looks at Ari to make sure she's conveying the right emotion, and Ari's looking at her like yeah, and just holding the finger.
Speaker 1: Like let's just say, don't even there at this stage of the press to it.
Speaker 2: They've done so many interviews that they don't even have to say really anything anymore. Like an interview just say to them something emotional and they go, yeah, that's what we want.
Speaker 3: And you know that interviewer wants tears. She wants tears, She's gonna go home with tears. So she's just sitting there like, yeah, I just thought you guys should know, like that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking for holding space for this is it also that I do understand what she means? So because the lyrics I hate myself, I'm glad.
Speaker 3: You understand what it means, because the internet absolutely does not.
Speaker 1: Because the lyrics are define gravity.
Speaker 2: Are like a power ballad for like people who don't fit in or people who are going to go their own way. I'm flying solately time for lyrics.
Speaker 1: We've known the lyrics for years. This is not a question with them space I don't know. I'm a little bit on her side.
Speaker 3: I'm on Twitter side because these memes made me a lowl. So I'm going to read you out some of my favorite After this interview went well, someone said, I'm holding space for the video about holding space for the defying gravity lyrics. I don't understand what holding space means or why it's so powerful, but I'm holding space for the potential to understand the space I'm holding. Someone said, I watched this like thirty times and I still can't understand a single thing that's going on here. And then my favorite, thanks for your email. I'm currently out of office to take the lyrics of defying gravity and really holding space with that. I'll go back to you as soon as i'm able. Best recards so good.
Speaker 2: The best way I saw was taking that viral Kim Kardashian quote about no one wants to work anymore, and they put her face across it, and it's like, no one wants to hold space for the lyrics of defying gravity anymore. Get up off your ass and hold space for the lyrics of defying gravity.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: I I'm like it was just so bizarre. But I think if this was the most viral thing that came out of this press too, it's probably a very successful.
Speaker 2: There's been so many And the thing is that the press tour has worked like they knew what they were doing. I honestly do believe they're very close. But I think that this whole press tour, everything from the outfits to how they speak, how they interact, how they look, how they enter an event together, has all been set up for this moment and it's worked because Wicked has had like a record opening box office weekend.
Speaker 1: And yes, they were fans of the musical.
Speaker 2: But there's heaps of other people who people just want this sense of occasion with a movie, like it's almost like they're getting people. This is what Blake Lively wanted for. It ends with us, but we couldn't really get on board because of the movie subject matter. But this is the next step of Barbie is like all the photos I've seen of people going, it's like people are going with their friends, they're dressing in the colors, they're filming their reactions before and afterwards, like they're really getting on board with that. And a lot of that has to do with the hype of the pressure of people wanting to have that sense of occasion and like lean into this online silliness.
Speaker 3: So I think it's safe to say that we're holding space.
Speaker 1: We're holding space. So the Wicked Press took Yes.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for listening to the Spill today. If you missed Friday's episode, Whoa, whoa, whoa, take a step back, because we did a brutally honest review of one of my favorite movies of the year, Gladiator two aka the movie with sexy hot men who kill each other.
Speaker 2: And I don't want to build it up too much, but I do believe this has been the feedback from people. Our funniest episode yet Yeah, that's.
Speaker 3: What I wanted. I didn't practice my poor mescal voice for no reason.
Speaker 1: That has been haunting my dreams. It's so intense.
Speaker 3: We will put a link to that episode in the show notes, and we will be back here in your podcast feed at three pm tomorrow. Bye bye