Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mother Mia podcast. Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land. We have recorded this podcast on the Gatagul people of the Eora Nation. We pay our respects to their elders past and present, and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander cultures.
Speaker 2: Hi, it's Grace from this Glorious mess introducing hot Pod Summer. It's one hundred hours of curated listening across the Mumma mea network just for you to escape the chaos and enjoy with the kids at home and the weather warming up. We're gonna share some episodes of Little Love Stories. Little Love Stories is an open hearted conversation with someone who has loved to share that love can be anything, a time in someone's life, a person, or even an object. It's all about discovering the magic everywhere you look. So I hope you enjoy this episode of Little Love Stories.
Speaker 3: I love you, how you live You.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Little Love Stories. I'm Grace Rubrey. The moment you become a parent is surreal looking down at this squishy, slippery newborn on your chest, caught up in the whirlwind of emotion that this is real, this actually happened. It's overwhelming, heartwarming, and confusing all at once. But sometimes that beautiful early bubble is also wrapped in pain, as it is for today's guest, Anna waters Massy. At thirty, Anna became a mother to her daughter, Cleo, and just a year later she lost her own mother to cancer. Yet despite this profound loss, Anna discovered something extraordinary in her bond with Cleo.
Speaker 4: I don't know this amazing feeling. Cleo just looked at me, and I just knew Mum had gone into Cleo, not as impossessed her or anything, but had gone into and we're going to come out through Cleo. All her life. I knew that Mum would be there.
Speaker 2: There's a rare, incredible connection some mothers and daughters share, one that Anna and Cleo are lucky enough to experience. Even though Cleia never met her grandmother, that love still weaves through their relationship, tying generations together.
Speaker 4: Cleo and I are very both. I would say she's probably my best friend, and I feel like that is through Mum being such a huge part of her.
Speaker 2: And then another bond forms, one that strengthens even further when a new life enters the world. The day Anna became a grandmother and Cleo welcomed her daughter, Indigo, a new chapter of their shared journey began.
Speaker 4: When in the hospital room and to see my daughter holding a baby, I just lost it.
Speaker 2: This is a story of four generations of women and the connection they have to each other. But before we get there, I asked some of the parents at the Mum of Mea office what it felt like the day they became a parent.
Speaker 3: I vividly remember when I gave birth to my first They plunked him on my chest. People talk about oh my god, instant love. I was just like, oh my god, what is this like. It took my brain time to process that this thing that had been growing inside me that was now this like red, little naked ball of human was actually my child. And I just remember that being my first memory, like, oh my god. It was almost like shock. Honestly, it is hard to put into words what I felt when I first saw my child for the first time.
Speaker 1: I remember having warm tingles all throughout my body.
Speaker 2: I was smiling like crazy, and I kept.
Speaker 1: Thinking to myself, Wow, this little boy, he's my son.
Speaker 5: Not really about my baby, but my moment of realization was when I accident did a shit in the shower while on the eapy dural and then squished it down the drain before the midwife saw it because I didn't want her to have to clean it.
Speaker 6: Aside from my husband's sister posting our hospital room pick that we privately shared to our family on Facebook, the most pivotal memory from the day I first became a parent would have to be when the nurse set that weird, squishy, covered in gross stuff baby on my chest, and I just remember thinking, Holy, look what I made. And then that was very closely followed by oh my God, what do I do now? And then realizing that everything would be different from that point on.
Speaker 4: My heart cracked open. It's an indescribable feeling.
Speaker 2: One moment, we were two, the next week were three.
Speaker 7: All my children were born very prematurely, but I remember very clearly with my eldest boy that after seventy two hour labor, I was holding him in my arms, just before he was taken off to Nikou, and his eyes were wide open. He was so alert, and he was just staring up at me as if to say, who on earth are you? And what on Earth is going on, And that's the moment that I realized I was actually a mum.
Speaker 2: Anna, can you tell me what you remember the most about the day that you became a mother?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, it was long, It was tedious. When Cleo came out, I just actually could not believe that I made a person. I knew I was going to have a baby, but until I looked at her and went, oh my god, like it's actually a real baby, it just blew me away. It was like freaking amazing. It is the biggest miracle in the world. It really is.
Speaker 2: Our bodies are fascinating.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you just make them, like you just make another person. That just blows me away. It still does.
Speaker 2: In your piece, you talk about the special relationship of grandparents and that you never really knew your grandparents. Now, your mother died when Cleo was only one, so she never got to have that full experience of a grandmother through your side. But Cleo and your mother have a bond. What did you notice in those early days after your mother died.
Speaker 4: It was so bizarre because Mum gave Cleo a little teddy bear that she calls Nanny Waters. I've always said Nanny Waters this with you. You know, put the teddy in the cot And there was a day when I was feeding her and it was after Mum died, and I don't know this amazing feeling. Cleo just looked at me and I just knew Mum had gone into Cleo, not as in possessed her or anything, but just like had gone into and was going to come out through Cleo all her life. I knew that Mum would be there. It was really spiritual, very special.
Speaker 2: What are some of the signs that you've seen that part of her spirit is in Cleo.
Speaker 4: When she was little in the cot, she would giggle and laugh and I just knew someone was in there playing with her, and I just knew it was Mum. As she got older, her little teddy, Nanny Waters when everywhere with her. Still as an adult, Nanny Waters goes everywhere with her. Cleo talks about her as if she's here. She has this really strong connection with her. It's quite bizarre. Cleo has her own podcast and she talks about it in depth on that she's her guardian angel. She talks to her all the time.
Speaker 2: Can you take me back to the day that you found out that you were going to be a grandmother, and there is a TikTok video that has almost thirty million views. Can you explain what happens in that video and then how you felt when you found out.
Speaker 4: It's pretty crazy. So Cleo and Luke, her husband, came around. We were all there. We were going out for my husband's birthday, so everyone was giving gifts anyway. So Cleo gave a gift to my husband and it was a onesie and straight away me and my son and son's girlfriend we all knew that meant Cleo was pregnant. My husband picked it up and thought it was for the dog and was, oh my god, it's for crumpet. In the video, you can see me and my son, who keeps swearing all the way through it, just going oh my god, oh my god. Only they're not the words my son uses. There's a lot of swearing we all know, and my husband doesn't know. And then when he finally clocks on, he turns to Luke who's holding the camera, and just rushes towards him to hugin, which is just gorgeous. It's just hilarious and funny. We didn't think anyone else would find it funny, but.
Speaker 2: Obviously thirty million people did.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how did you feel when you at that moment? Because Cleo leans forward to you. It seems like you have such a special bond with Cleo that, Yeah, she just needed you to know that information. And it had been so long that she'd been holding off telling you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it was only like a matter of weeks. But she was so ill. And she turns to me and she just says, Oh, I've been so sick, and starts crying, and I'm crying. We're all just crying and screaming. Really, but we are. Cleo and I are very close. I would say she's probably my best friend, and I feel like that is through Mum being such a huge part of her.
Speaker 2: Social Media tells only one side of the story. But from the outside, it seems like you have one of those magic families, you know, the families that you look at you go surely you don't all get along, Surely it's not also beautiful and shiny all the time. But from the outside, that is what it looks like. And I know that you have such a beautiful story of how you even met your husband. Yeah, So there seems to be like there's a little bit of magic in your family.
Speaker 4: I like to think so. I mean, we obviously every now and then you get shitty with each other. Everyone does, Everyone niggles each other, but we all have a very stupid sense of humor, and I think that really binds us all. And we've been so lucky with our children's partners that they get us. I don't know, we just we get along. We like each other, and yeah, you're right. Like I met my husband when I was nine. He was my brother's best friend, which is just bizarre, and ended up marrying him. Yeah, We've had lots of hard things, like my mum dying when I was young, but you know, I have been blessed with my kids and what's happening now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Cleo had quite a clear birth plan and a clear manifestation of what she wanted, and you're right about that. In your little love story said that she did it better than you did. Can you tell me what you would have changed about your own births based on what Cleo did.
Speaker 4: I think we just weren't so aware of what we could do and the birth that I had, but clear was still great and amazing and I got to do a lot of what I wanted to do, but she just took control of it, and she had a dueler and she had prepared. I didn't know about all these breathing techniques, and she didn't even have any medication. But I was like, yes, give me the Meathodene, is there more? Can I have another hit? Please? Where's the gas? If I'd known and been in more control, I think it would have been more spiritual and beautiful like Cleo's was.
Speaker 2: Can you talk me through the first time that you saw Indigo and then also seeing your baby with a baby.
Speaker 4: Oh, now a mum, seriously, Grace. I did not expect it. I was like, I'm so excited, can't wait to get in there. I just want to meet in to go, oh, how beautiful, you know, like when in the hospital room and to see my daughter holding a baby, I just lost it. I didn't even look at India. I just went straight for Cleo and just hugged her and cried. It was just oh my god, my little girl is now a mother, and it was just amazing, just amazing. And then obviously I looked at India and then fell in love with her. But just seeing Clee, oh, I don't know. It just plew me away.
Speaker 2: You said that it's deepened your love for Cleo.
Speaker 4: What do you think that is? I don't know. I think seeing her as a mother, seeing how beautiful she is with Indy, seeing how much Loop loves her, and how beautiful they are together, and just I just see her on a different level. She gets me. She's said to me so many times since Indigo was born. I get it now. So because I used to say to her, you will never love anyone the way that I love you, Clee. The mother's love for a child is just phenomenal. The umbilical cordin never breaks. I've always known when Cleo's upset or Joey, my son. I know when there's something wrong because I feel it in my gup. I know it before they ring me. And I've said that to her so many times, and she's like, no, no, Mommy, don't. She was worried that she wouldn't have enough love for Indigo because she loved the dog so much. And I'm like, trust me, And now she says to me, oh, I get it, I get it now.
Speaker 2: Is that love instant? When they've popped on your check?
Speaker 4: Sometimes it's not because sometimes it's such a shock. I think for me with Joey it was maybe a day. His birth was really difficult, and I think every birth is difficult. And that's the thing. When it's really difficult and painful, you've gone through some hard stuff. Sometimes you're just so exhausted and you just can't feel. And you shouldn't feel guilty for that either, because every birth is different and your body goes through a massive trauma having a baby. The love you feel for a child is just overwhelming. I would kill I would kill people to keep them safe. It's not even a question. If my child was threatened in any way, I would die for them. You actually would.
Speaker 2: What is the difference between the love that you feel for Indigo and being a grandmother. What are the instincts that take over in that situation.
Speaker 4: So I thought being a grandmother was like, oh god, I'm going to be granny. You know, I'm going to be old. It's going to make me old. Totally the opposite. I thought I was going to be very nervous, you know, looking after a child that wasn't mine. I don't feel that at all. I feel really confident and comfortable, and I feel younger. It's brought back memories that i'd forgotten of my two when they were younger. You're just like, oh, yeah, that's right. That's how you put an appy on, or that's how you dress them in that outfit. It just comes back to you and makes me feel younger, which.
Speaker 2: You do talk about in the piece that you feel younger and you don't feel like that stereotypical grandmother. What do you feel like you've gained that has given you more energy, or more time or more I guess, just what have you gained by becoming a.
Speaker 4: Grandmother, patients? I think when I was a mother, it was like a hurry up beneath to get here because I had no help. I had no help. We moved into state as well, and my husband's parents were really elderly, and they died not long after when the kids were still quite young. So I was always on the computer, breastfeeding Cleo. I was trying to do a million things at once. Now, when Indigo comes over, like she's just gone, I just sit there, sit there and look at her toes, play with the little fingers and it's a little face and talk googo gago like sing nonsense. I just go that can all wait, got emails to answer, I need to phone so and so I'm just saying, eh, little wait because this time's so precious. In a blink of an eye, it's gone.
Speaker 2: Perspective is a wonderful thing. I want to acknowledge the grief that you felt in the moment that you're getting to share something with Cleo that you and your mum did and get to experience of all the little moments that you've got to have over these past few months. What are some things that you wish that you had with your mum?
Speaker 4: Oh so much. Cue the tears, Grace, I'm trying not to cry so I can talk properly. Oh, I missed out on so much because as soon as you have a baby, like I said about Cleo, you get it all of a sudden. It's like a light switch and you go, oh my god, Now I get what mum was on about all of a sudden. I had a different relationship with my mum, but she was going through chemo, so I couldn't share really anything with her. She couldn't enjoy Cleo as a baby. Just so much that you can ask people, you know, Cleo asks me how long did you breast people? How long did this hurt? Did that hurt? How long did it take for this that and the up it to happen? When did I get my first tooth? When did I sit up? I couldn't ask Mum any of that, and they didn't keep baby books, and my brothers wouldn't know, and dad's dad lost the plot when Mum died. He really just went into himself until he died himself. So I just I couldn't ask any of those things. You want to know, all those motherly things.
Speaker 2: Is that something that you're trying to do with Cleo now is to document, to share, to create a space that you wish that you have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely take pictures, take videos. The photos I have of me and Mum are I was a baby and then maybe two when I was ten. None as an adult, because you are selfish when you're growing up and you're a teenager and you're in your twenties, you're just too selfish and you're not taking pictures with your parents, you're taking them with your friends. I don't have photos. I'm trying always to make sure that Cleo and I have photos as well, that I've got photos with India and videos. I don't have videos of Mum talking. I want to hear her voice again. You know, just so many things.
Speaker 2: There are four generations of women in this story, and you're right about that. And the piece by sharing what is quite a beautiful, actual scientific fact of how all connected you are. Could you share what that is and why you love that so much?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's amazing. So I might get this kind of wrong, but basically, when I gave birth to Cleo, she had all the eggs that she would have for her lifetime, so indigo was in her. So indigo was a part of me. It's like, what is that kind of mind blowing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy, it's so so crazy and sadly, as you said at the peaks, the men don't get that. No, not that they're not important, No, they just don't get that beautiful connection that women get.
Speaker 4: No, because the sperm is it takes to puberty, I think till they build their sperm, so it's not a part of them from when they're born, whereas with women, we're born with all the eggs that we will have, so they are a part of your mother already. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Another way that we end every little love Stories is that we ask what does love mean to you? And that can be just today, right now, in this second. But what comes to mind when I ask what does love mean to you?
Speaker 4: Family? It's just family. Like everyone else comes and goes, but family is always there. And the fact that even though I lost my mum, I so feel like she's still there and so does Cleo. Like, how amazing is that? It's beautiful?
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for sharing your little love story. That's all right, Thank you for listening to Little Love Stories. If you'd like to read Anna's full little Love story, you can go to the link in the show notes. Anna also has some very silly tiktoks and skits about menopause. If you would like to have a laugh, We've also popped a link to those in the show notes. If you have a story you want to tell, we'd love to hear it. We're always on the lookout for new stories and hearing from someone who has loved to give. If you want to get in touch, all the details are also in our show notes. Little Love Stories is produced by me Grace Ruverray with audio production by Lou Hill. If you're looking for something else to listen to, mma me who's presenting one hundred hours of summer listens from meaningful conversations, incredible stories, fashion, beauty, and a bit of silliness. There's a link to more things to listen to in the show notes.