Speaker 1: Welcome to the Seize the Yay Podcast.
Speaker 2: Busy and happy are not the same thing. We too rarely question what makes the heart seeing. We work, then we rest, but rarely we play and often don't realize there's more than one way. So this is the platforms to hear and explore the stories of those who found lives they adore, the good, bad and ugly, the best and worst day will bear all the facets of Seizing your Yea. I'm Sarah Davidson or a spoonful of Sarah, a lawyer turned funentrepreneur who swapped the suits and heels to co found Matcha Maiden and matcha Milk Bar. Sez the Ya is a series of conversations on finding a life you love and exploring the self doubt, challenge, joy and fulfillment along the way.
Speaker 3: Hi Berm, Welcome to twenty twenty four. This is take seventy five, Just today Tea and attempt probably eight hundred and twenty cents to twenty second.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm telling you, every time we start this podcast we say we suck.
Speaker 3: We started today because it's so far we've been. You've come over here, record and then something happens.
Speaker 1: We eat it's usually we eat, we eat.
Speaker 3: A snack and then we get in a food coma and then we don't want to do it anymore. And then you're like, okay, let's record, and I'm like, nah, I'm over there.
Speaker 1: And then you and I are both like good enough with each other that we're like, are you tired? And You're like no, no, no, no, no, bear you tie and I'm like no, no, no, just tell me, are you tired?
Speaker 3: And I'm like like no, no, no, I'm good. And then you're like Noah, I'm good too, and we're both like can you be bothered?
Speaker 1: N No.
Speaker 3: But I think it's I think it's a good nah nah no, No. I think it's a good development that instead of being rigidly like you know, for the first was it three years, I didn't take a week off.
Speaker 1: I was so rigid and.
Speaker 3: That was a and it was a beautiful time. We had so many amazing guests. But we've kind of obviously entered a bit of a different phase where flexibility and seeing how you feel weak to week pr it's what's.
Speaker 1: PERN in the hospital PRN.
Speaker 3: What's that I think it stands for?
Speaker 1: Like, I think it's pro renata or something which means we just wanted to we feel like it. Oh cool, we're doing this pr RENT or healthcare supporters out as the thing is needed.
Speaker 3: Oh is what PRN means? Special comments research. He's Jamie from Joe Rogan. Guys, we've we've really changed the structure around this year. We've got a studio. No, but basically I had in our calendar from like jan eleven, first yays of our lives back New Year's like Resolutions episode New Year Knew me. Let's talk about a freshman year. And we've tried. You've come over maybe six times, and time I'm like, I'm just like, I'm just enjoying being pregnant.
Speaker 1: Holiday of your Like, what do you meant to say to someone that's like, oh, I'm pregnant and tired exactly? I'm like, yeah, good self care. Last last time moment it was the sixteenth of January and I was like, okay, so we recording tomorrow. And so I was like, no, no, we don't come back until the twenty something. I don't no, no, I swear my life. We agreed on the sixteenth. She's like, no, no, no, no, I promise you it's the twenty something joint before it was like the seventh easy your first one back, and.
Speaker 3: Then we thought so obviously you guys can't see right now, but you'll see the snippet. We are both wearing Speed Dealer sunglasses for this episode for no reason.
Speaker 1: Because this year's MOTI, because it is the need for speed, for not speeding the actual.
Speaker 3: Of what I've been doing, avoiding every single episode we've done so far. But it is time because it's the end of January. Yes, it's actually the end of the month, but every year I say this, I kind of feel like January is are warmer where you still don't really know what day it is. You're kind of getting you know, your vocabulary back of actually speaking to people in work mode.
Speaker 1: So really, feb first.
Speaker 3: Is New Year's Yeah, that's what I had to say to the support and this will hopefully be time to come out on February first, So new months knew me, not new year knew me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, new month, new birth year knew me. That counts. We can do. We can do feb second every year as New Year because oh oh yeah, let's just do that. Yeah, okay, FB second is and his birth year. Guys, that's birthday. We are this is not.
Speaker 3: That's really good, and it gets worse and worse, Like I feel like as our standards rely, we only.
Speaker 1: Ever end the podcast when we're both look at Tomine like it's time.
Speaker 3: It's too much, it's too much, okay. But we did have a really planned out structure for what the first few episodes of the year would because they were themed around like the first one back would be what are your intentions for the year?
Speaker 1: How are you feeling?
Speaker 3: And the last one we did was meant to be our wrap from last year, which I don't even think we did because we didn't record a last episode because we we.
Speaker 1: Did remember honestly, if you get to the end of this episode, but the sort of reward we decide.
Speaker 3: So we're going to do giveaways every week where and wears the thing or uses the product in the episode, and we'll just give away that one product, and we're going to leave anyone who actually bothers.
Speaker 1: We'll even nugget of what you have to the entry requirements.
Speaker 3: But that's not starting this week because.
Speaker 2: That star.
Speaker 1: Well, it's really weird.
Speaker 3: I mean, part of my whole chain mentality for twenty twenty four is we worked out, so this is going to have to go backwards instead of catching everyone up from descemble. We're gonna have to go backwards because my memory is so bad.
Speaker 1: I don't remember what we just did.
Speaker 3: But I just realized we're in the single week's left until little baby Davidson is born, which means and was like, okay, so if we do the giveaway, should I contact some brands so we can work out like the schedule of the giveaways, like should we do like one is sunglasses, the next week is black And I'm like, well, I don't know if this baby comes out, I don't know if I'm going to record, Like I don't know, like who even knows.
Speaker 1: No, It's true.
Speaker 3: So we're going very spontaneously, like more than I ever have in my life, which is really nice. It's very different.
Speaker 1: You say you're just doing this for joy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm doing I'm kind of not really able to plan week to week because you also don't know what your physical or mental abilities each week will be as you get further into like I'm thirty one weeks now and that's like a Bible baby could be born, So I'm not really able to plan as much, which is strange.
Speaker 1: It's so crazy because you just still don't look it. You just if you looked at every part of your body but the belly, you'd be like, gosh, even when you sit down, you couldn't tell. No one could tell.
Speaker 3: But the belly is quite large. Now the belly is the belly is large. But if you sat down and I have diabetes, everyone since last time dis yeah, I have gestational diabetes, which is has been actually nowhere near as hard as I thought. So the I think part of my I mean, you guys know, I love to just share whatever's happening as it happens in real time, and it's been nice to notice how much.
Speaker 1: Stigma and misunderstanding. Firstly, there is stigma about.
Speaker 3: It, well, particularly around the fact that people think, oh, but you're not overweight, so how do you have diabetes?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know where that association comes from. Firstly, they think that they, including myself, originally think what did I do? What kind of eating did I do to bring this on? And particularly in pregnancy, it's not due to anything that your lifestyle of behavior has contributed to its hormone or But also yeah, the association of like, well, you must have been not looking after your health, or if you're not overweight, you can't have it, or yeah, just a lot of people misunderstanding and then beating themselves up about it. So it's been lovely to A realize it's not nearly as difficult to manage as I thought, but b share with a lot of other people who are realizing at the same time it's not as big a deal as you think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then is just stational diabetes just genetics?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's a combination of your genetic history. And then like some people are more prone to it than others, But then also some women will get it in one pregnancy and not in the other, literally just based on the hormones that your placenta is creating. So it's got very little, if nothing, to do with how you ate in the earlier parts of your pregnancy. It's around the third track, like the cusp of the second and third that you do the test because it doesn't come on earlier than that. And all it is is your body when you normally eat something, and your blood sugar levels go up higher if it's more sugary food, and lower if it's not. Your body produces insulin, which helps bring it back down and regulate it. The placenta stops the insulin production, so the blood the sugar just stays in your blood and just floats around. The problem is normally you're the person who deals with the consequences. When you're pregnant. The blood in your sugar goes to the baby, not you, so the baby.
Speaker 1: Becomes subby gigantic. You should keep eating sugar. Ummy baby, but Dream is a chubby.
Speaker 3: Baby, but not so big for their age that then they often deliver pre term because they're too big, like really early on, so they often delivered early if you don't kind of get on top of it. So I've learnt so much. But even just like I didn't even realize how much I was letting my blood sugar get load just during the day in terms of energy, Like you don't even think about if you know, eat your lunch breakfast really early and lunch really late. You don't think about how much that affects your energy levels when you're not evening out your blood sugar. It's been really interesting, And what's a big.
Speaker 1: Update whatever you had to cut out or what's been difficult. I thought it was like the end of my life, Like I thought there was no car like type diabetic. Shut up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I literally thought, not only is just otional diabetes. As soon as the baby's born, it goes away. So it is an insight into the life of people who do have like type one or type two. Life long and I have to be much stricter. But I did think, like I cried. I was like, you can't take bread and ice cream pregnantly, But you don't actually have to cut out, like wholesur cut things out of your diet. It's just managing when you eat them, the volume, and also how much of them you eat versus other things. So I can have For example, some people are really sensitive to some fruits, but if you eat them with a protein or with nut butter, it's begins out or the skin on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like.
Speaker 3: Sweet potato, if you boil it, it's fine, but if you roast it, it's harder. So it's a lot of learning. It's really interesting.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 3: So that's right, that's one of the big updates. Happened since the last episode.
Speaker 1: It would have been like twenty five weeks or something. It's been a long Yeah, I don't even know. I can't even remember, but I definitely was like's it was feeling really real. I think he was kicking a lot, and we were just about to go into chrisp.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It was before Christmas, right, yeh. And i'd been smashing it pretty hard, thinking the second trimester is the last one.
Speaker 1: I'll have more control.
Speaker 3: Over my energy and like not be so big that I can't like I can't travel after a certain date and whatever. And then we had a really really lovely break and then we've had a baby moon since they're cute, and now I'm big. Now I'm like actually obstructed.
Speaker 1: I can't walk fast.
Speaker 3: I'm a fast walker. I can't fast walk. I have to say you are big for your body, yeah, like the bellies, like you pop, I'd say you've popped.
Speaker 1: Yeah. For a long period, I was like, when baby, you're like, I'm like, I thought, ladies, you're not big.
Speaker 3: But I don't even know how to catch people up on what's happened since December because I don't even know.
Speaker 1: What December you did. Let me tell you what I do.
Speaker 3: You don't even know.
Speaker 1: I don't remember.
Speaker 3: All I did was canceled the podcast Christmas We had Christmas here. That's why your Christmas first family Christmas at the house you is so wholesome and lovely.
Speaker 1: And then went away to Vegas, Breus Vegas.
Speaker 3: What do we do for the New Years?
Speaker 1: We were here, I was here.
Speaker 3: We had a spontaneous lazy night because.
Speaker 1: We're both old ladies. That's right, you don't even have an excuse. Yeah, VI curiously pregnant. My best friend was pregnant. Pregnant.
Speaker 3: That was really cute.
Speaker 1: It was actually really cute.
Speaker 3: We didn't make it to the adult fireworks though we didn't know. We didn't even make it to the day over.
Speaker 1: No. I came back, but we still didn't even make it to the kid fireworks, which.
Speaker 3: Was nine point thirty. Yeah, so we've been very.
Speaker 1: Busy, very busy. But between that time, I feel like you went away somewhere. Didn't You had you had the baby. Oh, Kim was down for a period.
Speaker 3: Yes, you had the baby from Bloom Effects, the incredible Chilip based botanical beauty company. She lives in Amsterdam on a tulip farm, her and her beautiful kids and her husband. But he headed home before we did a shoot at the house. We all had a beautiful family reunion. That was lovely.
Speaker 1: We've done a lot, That's what I mean. I felt like it was so busy, but we also it was lovely.
Speaker 3: That like pretty much from the from Christmas Day to after the baby moon. Nick was working, but much less.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you'd spend time Tkeet and I had organized to.
Speaker 3: Not have anything to film, so I did like a couple of days of radio, but otherwise allowed us to have an actual break and not travel anywhere. Like we just were in the house and nesting. It was the first time I nested.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really cute and the house did houses looking really good, and Bim, I seized my gay.
Speaker 3: I read a book every day?
Speaker 1: What you saw this? You have a book every day? I did, but I realized it was every day. Bim, I haven't read a book since since you said read The Spy six years ago? What did I make you read? The Spy? Was really good?
Speaker 3: That was it about?
Speaker 1: Was it? The Trader in the Spy was true story? Yeah, that was the best. That's a recommendation for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we need to go back to recommendations. We've totally lost the plot like over the last like two years. Do you know what the time of denominator is you joining?
Speaker 1: That was so subtle.
Speaker 3: Down dramatically.
Speaker 1: The last two years, it's just pretty.
Speaker 3: You've been around when your presence was more No, we've had so much more fun with the neighborhood. Oh my god. Anyway, I'm trying to update people on what we've done. What did you do?
Speaker 1: Where did you go?
Speaker 3: It was amazing. Nick is on the phone and I can hear. For fox sake, Nick, this is my offwards. We've got a real casual. We've got a real casual. We're trying to give you a little insight into We're not gonna make it through anyway.
Speaker 1: Listen, how long is Nicholas? Okay?
Speaker 3: Good, he knows he's doing it on purpose. He's so excited to be a dad. By the way, that's the next that's that's the next chapter of the episode. We have no chapters, baby maybe but okay, oh my god. So we originally, you guys know where like avid adventures. We love going overseas and doing wilder adventures and traveling and stuff. But it's so strange how as soon as I got pregnant, I suddenly just didn't I don't know, the desire to be somewhere familiar and safe and like I never like we went when we went to Antarctica, I didn't even look up what happens if there's a medical issue, Like I just didn't even think about it.
Speaker 1: And now we went to.
Speaker 3: Brisbane and I was like, where's the nearest natural unit where I can give birth? Like It's just so funny how your brain does change in ways you never expect that it will. But we were going to go, probably a bit earlier in the pregnancy, we thought about going overseas, and then I was like, I think let's just do something domestic and where the flight, particularly the flying. I've noticed that in the last four weeks as I've popped that the sitting for long periods actually is quite painful and uncomfortable. So we chose Brizzy to go to the Calisle Hotel, which we've never stayed at before. It's been on the bucket list. I think I've been maybe to dinner at one of the restaurants there before, but I've never stayed. And we just booked five days in one spot.
Speaker 1: Not moving around, and it was so I was like, why is this?
Speaker 3: So we were getting some interference from antres phone before and it was crackling, and just then I was like, why the fuck is the crackling back? And she's eating a protein bar and trying so hard not to make a noise, and I just realized what it was, so subtle, hungry Sly, you did well? Is it your blood, sugar? I trust her to talk for as long as you need me. Anyway, I heard the crackly ten minutes. I was like, yeah, she's it's way louder when you try and do it slowly. Also anyway with the headphone, I'm like, she's doing something dead. Anyway, So we booked that for five days, and the precinct there is amazing.
Speaker 1: It's so clever.
Speaker 3: It's this incredible hotel that was built by this one family and they also have curated I think they bought the market fresh food market nearby, oh my god, first and then that went really well in an area that wasn't very gentrified. Built this magnificent hotel that's totally different to any other hotel, like that normal minimal white, clean aesthetic. It's quite busy, like there's lots of textures and lots of shapes, and it's it's an architectural like it's very well known worldwide. But they also had like all the shops around the bottom and on that main street and then all the restaurants, like it's become a precinct where you just fly in. You go there and there's a tough places to keep me going that you don't leave, and then you fly out. It was so cool, and I've not spent that much time in Brizzie, so it was really lovely. We just we've been so busy but also doing the house and stuff. Even when we're at home, we haven't been just together sort of thinking about getting ready for a baby that much.
Speaker 1: So we had a whole week of just being in the sun reading.
Speaker 3: I read so many books, just like rubbing the belly and just getting excited, like really looking forward to how special.
Speaker 2: It was going to be.
Speaker 1: And it was just magical.
Speaker 3: It was so nice, so nice for you. I was so I like, was so happy in a way that I like, I'm always quite happy, but I'm often happy attached to momentum or to doing something or seeing people, and this was like happy without stimulus. It was really interesting. It was just like content. I think it's content. We were just both like a it was really nice.
Speaker 1: It's all happened very perfectly. I think we've said this. The house, yeah was not planned, like none of this was. They're like, you weren't like, oh, we get the house and then I'm going to try and this and that. It just happened to be just all.
Speaker 3: Kind of worked out. And I think it was at a good time as well. That I was twenty nine weeks so it wasn't too far along that like I was a bit smaller. I think that I am right at this moment, so I didn't have any joint discomfort, like even lying by the pool, like now I wouldn't be able to lie down that long, but I could lie down and read.
Speaker 1: And then we had this amazing experience where a business in the neighborhood.
Speaker 3: And you guys know how much I love discovering people who have listened to the podcast, and especially when we were into state and I get the chance to actually meet someone in person, it's so exciting. So we were at the Khalil for five nights and then on the very last day, this amazing woman called Libby, who's a mum herself, messages, I'm down the road and I'm just putting it out there, but I've started this business.
Speaker 1: She used to be corporate. Since I've had my kids, I've started this.
Speaker 3: Business where I create using three D like the skills she learned in architecture of three D photography and then bronze casting and molding to make three D versions of your pregnant body at a particular time and your pregnancy. So instead of just like a pregnancy shoot, She's like, I want to capture the fact that so many mums and women in general have such a shit relationship with their body for most of their life, Like we are so critical of ourselves. I don't know many women who haven't had a period at least in their life of hypercritical relationship towards your body, like wanting it to be different in some way, whatever that may be, or just asking so much of it and not really feeling.
Speaker 1: Grateful and appreciative.
Speaker 3: And I thought that pregnancy obviously involves putting on weight, getting curves you haven't had before. I thought, I have a moment where I was just a bit like, oh, I'm not fitting my clothes, and the entire pregnancy has been just like I'm a miracle, I'm mother nature.
Speaker 1: You are mother to reason, but I didn't expect to feel it that much.
Speaker 3: And then on this baby moon, because we were like I was in bathers the whole time. I was even more just like swimming and like and I have boobs, and I just was like, oh my god, like we can feel the baby kicking all the time. I just had this weird window of like not feeling nauseous but not being in pain where I just was like naked all the time, and I was just like, this is so beautiful anyway. And on that like in the middle of that, she's like, I want to help women capture that feeling because they often go back to then postpartum, being like I hope my body I wanted to go back to.
Speaker 1: It was anyway, and she's like, I can come to your hotel and do it. Oh my gosh, like today, and I got and she came and we did it and it was the most amazing thing.
Speaker 3: And no one else in Australia does a take anology that she does, and I just was blown away by her and the whole experiences.
Speaker 1: And what's her business names called Set and Max.
Speaker 3: I've posted it about it, so there's a static post and some links in stories, but I'll repost it again when we share this episode, and she's doing pop ups in Sydney and Melbourne coming up as well.
Speaker 1: Really we should meet her. I know she's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you should meet her so that she can do your booby.
Speaker 1: Only one google, but literally took three.
Speaker 3: Minutes for her to do the philosophy, and then the rest was like making sure the angles were right and like you kind of like change your poses around a few times until you're comfortable with it, and then in a couple of months, so she paused, literally paused the bronze and in a couple of months it a right.
Speaker 1: So you haven't got yours yet, No, so the one you should shared wasn't.
Speaker 3: They were just like models for her to show you the colors so you can choose, like she can polish it all the way to gold, she can leave it brassy, have white or black, and then there's like this halfway point that's kind of a blue.
Speaker 1: It was just like you know when you like it's the definition of CVA.
Speaker 3: You know, when we find businesses that are doing things that are so niche and they've just someone's just had an idea that they loved and rolled with it. And then no one else is creating that for women.
Speaker 1: So cool, it's so awesome.
Speaker 3: And the messages I got from other women being like, oh my gosh, if I wouldn't have known about that, and I was like, if she didn't message me, I wouldn't have known about it, because like magical, because people have.
Speaker 1: Done casting for eighties before the babies like hands and feet and things. Yeah, but never for I've never been. And also this is it's like a three D photo.
Speaker 3: Instead of people do like the plaster on your belly where you like put it on the outside, but it doesn't do.
Speaker 1: Like a full bust like like ache, Like yeah, was that one of your question? That's so bad? And Nick has some questions from the audience, being Nick, I have two questions.
Speaker 3: He told me before we started recording. You don't often put your hand out to continue your responses to the Okay, come come on the couch. Tell us about the story.
Speaker 1: How many straws? How many holes in a straw? One?
Speaker 3: Two?
Speaker 1: What all? One? It's one continuing.
Speaker 3: The holes are at the end though, because the continuous thing is the tunnel, isn't it was it one hole all the way through?
Speaker 1: That has nothing to do with what we've been talking about. Why did you choose this? Spect comments? You so sweet?
Speaker 3: I'm going to be like, and then you just look so happy in your body and the mold was amazing.
Speaker 1: I would say two.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say, I don't know what what do you say?
Speaker 1: Because what if you?
Speaker 3: But what was your answer?
Speaker 1: Also?
Speaker 3: Why are you not wearing speed dealers?
Speaker 2: Something?
Speaker 1: If you have a hole in the wall, is that one hole of two? There's still one entry.
Speaker 3: And exit point, but the entry is a hole in the exits the hole, So you have you have two holes? Would you say, I'd say two, there's one on each side, a hole on each side of the wall. You would not?
Speaker 1: You would?
Speaker 3: I would if you put a hole in the wall, would say there's two holes in the wall. Would you say, look, I'd say no, yeah, But it's not as if I had put a hole as long as a straw, I'd say at one end there's one hole in it, the other there's another hole.
Speaker 1: So that only even hits a particular tunnel length.
Speaker 3: If there's a tunnel, then it's too hot.
Speaker 1: It's just one if the walls one being really really finish that one hole, But that's not a straw. That's like a long Does a tunnel need to be before you consider it? Two holes?
Speaker 3: I don't know, like how string would The second question what would happen?
Speaker 1: Said, yeah, my nose is a have to grow nothing as in because it's not a lie or it is a lie. If he said my nose, yeah, what happened? Does it grow?
Speaker 2: Does it not grow?
Speaker 1: Well? I think it's a lie, so it does grow. That's true.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's so circular.
Speaker 1: This is my brother. No, that's a really good they're good this year? Or that? Yeah? Question that was anymore? Yeah? What is try? Hashtag collab free trials ended?
Speaker 3: You're gonna subscribe if you want on the show.
Speaker 1: You've got prescriptions and extra prom.
Speaker 3: Which is he walking around talking on business calls? They were good questions. We don't have any other this year? That yeah, because we forgot that's yeah.
Speaker 1: I have another one. What is it? You didn't ask the tape of contents?
Speaker 4: We've now just don't even know what the show is about. Okay, we have moved to this way or that year?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And what was the summer what we were just talking about. I'll share the link about it.
Speaker 3: Yes, that was and the baby moon generally was lovely, and then we went back to Byron. On the way we went to Elements and we created the same photo that we had taken on our honeymoon and it was really cute. And that's the end.
Speaker 1: Ye had to speed.
Speaker 3: And summary is now we are at Yes, we're in the single ditchs before the baby's born, and we're so excited and Nick's really excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which will go we will have to go back to because you said yeah, yeah, my other one was at one point, is someone your friend? I saw this on someone? What's the point?
Speaker 3: I think it's lots of different criteria. For example, well, for you, it was like when you had when you started farting in front of me freely.
Speaker 1: That was really far in No, it was it what do you do when?
Speaker 3: As far gross, I'm going to keep that in. I didn't hear it on that. I would say, like like when you go from an acquaintance to a friend, do you mean.
Speaker 1: I get well? Like, for example, you worked with someone in retail in like ten years ago, Okay, when are you a friend? And you were good friends with them then and then now you chat to each other once every two years.
Speaker 3: If they were replied to your story, Okay.
Speaker 1: So that's someone like, oh someone I know? Was that your friend?
Speaker 3: That's a really hard one.
Speaker 1: I think automatically people would assume it's like a frequency thing.
Speaker 3: I would definitely not think that. Like, the people I'm the closest too, are not the people I say the most often. Always like you and I have a very very high frequency. But most of my closest friends and not the people I say the most because we live in different states, or because like I don't know, we just have incompatible sort of schedules.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's a really interesting one.
Speaker 1: I still yet to hear anyone's definite advances. Someone replied instead.
Speaker 3: I think it's different for each relationship.
Speaker 1: Have their phone number. Oh but I was like so many people, like I know a lot of people that don't even have people's numbers. They just do messenger DM.
Speaker 3: And it no longer is like when you remember their birthday because we all just have calendar advites and you know that kind of stuff, or know their phone number because who knows anyone's phone number off by heart? Is it when you've like, so I know someone's a really good friend if you've met their parents.
Speaker 1: You keep changing the question. The question is when is someone a friend or someone that you know. It's like the mafia where he's a friend of mine, a friend of ours? Oh are they different?
Speaker 3: Friend of mine means you're killed them.
Speaker 1: Friend means he's involved.
Speaker 3: In the business like just a friend.
Speaker 1: No, anyway, I can't subscribe to their premium. Different a friend of ours or a friend of mine, different parts We paid for the non adversion.
Speaker 3: I reckon, do you know?
Speaker 1: I reckon?
Speaker 3: It's just like a feeling of whether how much you like them, like how much you click?
Speaker 1: And then as you were saying, a good friend, Yeah, what's the what's what's the landmark? What's the milestone?
Speaker 3: I think one of the markets is like if you've been to each other's houses, oh yes, yep, or if you've done an activity if your work colleagues is if you've done something.
Speaker 1: That wasn't work related, Yeah, that makes you a friend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like if you went out for coffee and it wasn't a work coffee, Yeah, what would you What.
Speaker 1: Would you call that person that I worked with in retail ten years ago and was really close then, But then.
Speaker 3: I'd say I'd say, like a really old friend.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, fair and old.
Speaker 3: If they're like someone you have been in touch with as much recently, I'd say one of my friends from back in the day. I actually say friends from back in the day quite a bit.
Speaker 1: What about if they're like, you worked in retail and they were a customer and you chat it often, and then you like attitude, and then you went on data Yeah no, and then you add on social media and then like you that's how you kick I'd be like, that's someone you would you just say Facebook friends? Yeah, my Facebook friend. I just say someone I used to work with. I don't know, depends, it's hard. I was thinking about I was thinking about that because I was trying to tell my housemaid a story about some like this person, and I was like, wait, do I say like someone I know or my friend? Because I couldn't establish I think I.
Speaker 3: Think my default is often unless they're seriously someone I haven't had a lot of connection with, even back at the time when we were working together, whatever the situation was, I would just say my friend. Yeah, I'd just say my friend who used to work with. I wouldn't specify, like, but they are now no longer an acquaintance on the scheme of close meess like I been bumped down a couple of Yeah, like I probably wouldn't. I think I probably only have a couple of I think we all only have a few words of categories. There's like one of my besties, one of my good friends, one of my friends, and then there's like colleagues or someone I knew.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, good, Well, I don't think that's a.
Speaker 3: Very interesting segment, just saying.
Speaker 1: You hear me.
Speaker 3: Oh my, I's been thirty three minutes already of just absolute trash. Sorry, guys, welcome to twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Well we can go back. Well, next seg ye, as according to the table of contents, is.
Speaker 3: From the neighborhood the yable of contents.
Speaker 2: Oh no, this is.
Speaker 1: Okay. Do you think that our next episode should be questioned?
Speaker 3: Should this just be like welcome by No, okay, I'll have to make an executive decision, as this is the neighborhood of content yabel like table. Sorry, we're doing another questions next to you. Yeah, okay, we did put up this pole. We have to we do have to respond the other thing we did.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, we've done so much we went to the tennis that was that was yesterday, and we still forgot. I know, I have never done I don't think I've ever surprised. Have I ever surprised you? Well, I was telling my partner. I was like, well, I don't feel like I've truly ever been from the feeling of being surprised. I have people have surprised me in the past many times, but I don't know the feeling of truly like having no idea. I feel like this may be my first time that I always like, we always do random surprises, which it's really cute to do these like friend friendship date nights. Yeah, that's cue, and we'd have like some idea. Actually shook me to this live show once and I had no idea where we're going, and that was really cool. But this one was like I just took me by surprise as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you also didn't even know that we were catching up or seeing each other, like our date.
Speaker 1: Nights with Loza and I, who is not my partner but one of my best ways people we used to think we were together.
Speaker 3: Category would be one of my one of my best category one okay great.
Speaker 1: One a one a okay, cool, but this one I genuinely like, I just it took me my surprise when expecting it wasn't. You know. Sometimes it's like people like save this date and we're doing a surprise. Yeah, it's different to like truly being like you had absolutely well.
Speaker 3: Also usually like you, you've surprised me a lot of times, but you've said keep like it's often often for our birthdays and it's like on your burday you have to decide are you free even Yeah, so you kind of know something's happening together, whereas because of your actual birthday being like a whole week away and you didn't know when and we.
Speaker 1: Hadn't even like so exactly. Essentially, what happened was it was a beautiful day and I was just like chilling at home, and then my partner was like, let's do something like cute tonight. Just be ready by five. And this is not abnormal for either of us to Yeah, it's gone on spontaneous and.
Speaker 3: The weather was beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we wrote. She's like, I know you're like riding, so let's ride somewhere. Just take me to this because you're not from Melbourne. She's like, take me to this place. And they'll know the rest of the way. You know.
Speaker 3: We got to this place where a long.
Speaker 1: Time ago, I was like, this is probably like two a year ago for your picnic spot. I was like, nobody, this most underrated picnic spock is. You get this beautiful view of the city.
Speaker 3: It is a really good picnic. It's a normous picnic spots so good.
Speaker 1: People normally go to the town, which is beautiful, but it's a little bit further out sometimes, whereas if you want something who's like really close to the CBD, you can go here.
Speaker 3: It's a fringe of the tent like it's kind of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of Alexandria Gardens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's what it's called Monument Park. Monument Park, which I now know because she dropped a pin yeah, and was like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so how do you picnic? And I was like, this is the surprises is so sweet and she was like pack your dogs. I was like okay, and she's like, do not probe, and I was like, I swear my life, I'm not probing because I was like, let's go shoe shopping. Let's you wanted to go to shoe shopping. And then she's like yeah, let's just get there first for this activity and then and then we'll go after. And in my brain, I truly thought we were going to go shoe shopping after she had all this food. And we were like sitting there and it was really cute, and I just gave her the most perfect situation because I was like, oh, I was like lying on her lap facing the opposite direction for you.
Speaker 3: And which actually you were facing me. And I had to walk around the rose bushes. Okay, well, I ham to behind your field division.
Speaker 1: And I was just like sitting there looking at accommodation and I could see her filming and still no clue, and I just thought she was filming me looking at accommodation for some silly reason.
Speaker 3: I don't know, No, like just why you just mensage to me to saying like something about seeing each other the next day, and I was like, cute, yeah.
Speaker 1: Because I'm over and I'll see the dog. Yeah, we were going to bring room in to the aunties. And so just zero, just like a minus one hundred idea. And I had said i'd watch the men semifinals that before, and my brain, I said, oh, I've never been to a Grand final actually, and I was telling my partners. I was like, oh, the Women's Final starts to seven thirty. She was like, we'll get you back home for that and I was like, no, no, no rush, but if we make it, that'd be as whatever. And then low in the hold, I'm lying there and this high pitched girl voice was like doing and I was like, shot to the core. I didn't even hear what you were saying. I was just excited to see you and if they're came for the picture. Truly, I truly was like, why is she so you had like heels on? I was like, why she dressed up to crash our picnic? But that's sweet. I didn't even think there could have been any other thing happening. I just thought you were joining our picnic. And then you'd said some words, and I still didn't understand what you were saying because I was still thinking. And then all I heard was I'm taking it to the Women's Final, and I.
Speaker 3: Was like, and then you clapped like a five year old extended finger clapping jumping.
Speaker 1: I was like, I've got my clothes. I was wearing like Darrow clothes. And then they were both had planned and outfit and packed it in her bag and they even brought like the hairs. That was was.
Speaker 3: Like, she was so good thought out.
Speaker 1: It was the best. We had so much fun in the water. We're just like because we hadn't seen each other since pre baby moon and that was the first time, so it was like excitement plus catch up plus this VIP experience.
Speaker 3: It was so lately to got to be your plus one, to have you as my plus one.
Speaker 1: As my charitable deed for twenty twenty four is to bring sir to something she's otherwise would never have been able to experience.
Speaker 3: It was really fun. We had such a fun night.
Speaker 1: It was so fun. We just laughed a lot, a lot, yeah a lot anyway, So yeah, that was the other recent update that's happened.
Speaker 3: I feel like lots more has happened and I can't really remember what the update is. But welcome to twenty twenty four everyone. I hope you were all having a wonderful start to the year. And if it's been like a little bit slow and clunky, I feel like we put a lot of pressure on ourselves to be like news resolutions like I want to be a whole new person by January two.
Speaker 1: And it's like, nah, it's it's okay. It's also into it came not to have thought about it by January one totally.
Speaker 3: The year is very it's a.
Speaker 1: Rush to the Philly line, but to watch the fish finish line just to get to Christmas and then the Year's Eve and then yeah, somehow you meant to have slowed down enough to reflect on your year and then plan for the next. More often than not, I don't think I really truly have a grasp on what the year is going to be until because January is such a busy time of like holiday period, and the New Year's happens, and then I.
Speaker 3: Would actually love to go back to our New Year's episode every year and see how many times I've said I think that New Years should be fed worm like every year I reckon I say that, like, just be kind to yourself resolutions, because it's true, like I feel like we put a lot of pressure on this whole goal setting for the year and what is your vision for this coming twelve months? And it's like, mate, it takes me like to first to be able to stringer sentence together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I couldn't tell you what my intention's on. I still Yeah, I haven't thought about it. I just haven't been able to really like articulate grasp on it. Yeah, while it's a vibe as opposed to it, it's a general vibe. Okay. Last part of this is questions from the community community. These are just random as usual. His first question is would you trust and with babysitting duties of little bear? Of course, is the best best babysitter?
Speaker 3: No, genuinely, you are so good with kids, like they you're just so good with them, and like I think part of it is having so many siblings and like you've probably a younger brother who is way younger than you, and you're just you're so at ease with children in a way that like lots of people aren't so one you will be like, what is the crackling? Is that my phone?
Speaker 1: Well? I thought your phone didn't have that issue, so we could ask me, No, it does, but whatever, Okay, Yes.
Speaker 3: And will be babysitting all the time, And conveniently we already have a bedroom for you, so you can just come.
Speaker 1: And slip over and look after our little bit. I would be severely disappointed, did if you thought I was offering out of polite so I get very frustrated.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I say that to my friends you love like you literally enjoy I love it to your friend's children, and like, I feel like you're going to be his kangar cricket teacher.
Speaker 1: You're going to be in charge of.
Speaker 3: I was kidding, but you're going to be in charge of his outdoor education.
Speaker 1: He's already got waterproof sandals, waterproofs.
Speaker 3: That was like the first thing you bought him was like activity sandals. Yeah, that's so cute.
Speaker 1: But I'm very excited. But yes, definitely should be babysitting. Someone has said, I think you had this question before, was actually the same person. Have you picked out godparents? Do?
Speaker 3: I answered? I think I answered that, And I said, no, I haven't yet, and I don't know if we and we hadn't decided. Yeah, if we do like one cup like one of each, one godmother, one godfather, which is what my brother and I have, we have and they're not necessarily a couple, like we've got separate individuals who are godmother and godfather, or if we'll just have like a big village of people.
Speaker 1: And do you think are you going to decide that just before? I don't know I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think probably it's not as traditional for us, like it's not we're not sort of I know, in like the Grief or Greek Orthodox faith, it's a really really big part of Christening, and it's I don't think we'll be as formal about it. So I think it'll just develop yea, or it won't. Like we're not sort of, we haven't really thought about it.
Speaker 1: Next question is what advice would you give a give about something give to someone looking to getting into the MC or speaker space.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a great one. Someone else asked me this the other day. I think the really big thing is you. It's one of those industries where people have to think of you for those roles and they only know that if you're kind of doing them already. So it sounds like a bit of a vicious cycle because if you're not in it, it's really hard to get seen doing it, and then that's hard to generate more gigs. So many of the jobs that I get are from other jobs that I've done, and someone's been there and they've seen you, and they think of you for when they're organizing something similar. So I think the best thing that I did early on is when I wanted to break into it is do as much practicing. It doesn't matter how small the gig is or how big it is, or how much it's something that you don't necessarily want to be the kind of event you always do, but just get in front of people, do as much for free as you can, like even if you want to turn it into your career. I was on like ten minute panels for what when we had much I made, and I would do a panel a week that none of them were like paid speaking gigs. I wouldn't have called myself a speaker. But until I did those, no one knew who you were, or if they did, they didn't know that you were willing to speak, or that you enjoyed it, or that you even did it. So it's very much something that you fall into, but you fall into it on purpose. But you don't just one day announce I'm an MC and then people come to you with MC gigs. You have to start getting onto the scene and meeting the people who make the decisions and getting in front of the brands, And that usually starts with much more minor roles, like on a panel of multiple people. Then a smaller panel. Then you might be an individual speaker and then you do keynotes and then you kind of ohh but it takes a while. But putting yourself out there, which is usually awkward and a bit embarrassing, is but getting over that and just having a go is definitely how I did it.
Speaker 1: But even smaller scale stuff like I did a lot of stuff when I had paper planes where people would just ask me to come to a school and do it to their classroom. Yeah, and it was just like talk about your business or whatever, or like being an alumni. Yeah, I like to ask what you're doing, or like join a zoom call or something. Yeah, And that's such good practice. Yeah yeah, And then they're like, oh, I didn't realize. And then you share it and people will realize that you do it, and then.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's the other thing. A lot of people will do a lot of gigs and then they won't share any of the content from it. So it's like other people who might be looking for someone to speak at their next event, don't didn't see that you'd done one last week, and that you've done it to a crowd of five hundred and that's the same amount of people who they want you to speak in front of. So again, it's awkward, it's uncomfortable at the start. It's a bit of a bit of extra work to go, Okay, I've got to remember to take a photo when I get there, or get someone in the audience to send me a photo. But that's the way that it's kind of like you're your own billboard these days. There's no like yellow pages of mcs. All you have is your own platforms for people to find out what you do. So you have to intentionally show that that's what you do.
Speaker 1: Do you remember what your first MC in gig was. I know what my first speaking gig was. That was the Wellness Festival, first major one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was my first like I was a speaker rather than I just had been invited to be part of another event and there were twenty of us sort of sharing bites of stories. This was like a keynote and it was a big crowd and it was the first time I'd been called a speaker, and.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I was so nervous.
Speaker 3: It was like the biggest thing that I just I didn't sleep for days. But that I remember it so distinctly, and the organizer Lauren. I still say to her all the time, like, you took such a big gamble on me because I hadn't done it before. But that kicked off everything because no one knew that I spoke before because I hadn't until that day. And then now a lot of the clients I still speak for, like remember the Wellness festival that day when you did that keynote, And That's how I met Lisa Messenger, It's how I met Rachel Finch, It's how I met Julie.
Speaker 1: All of the first guests for czaight in that first ten episodes pretty much I met at that event. Awesome.
Speaker 3: So it's very situational, but like that was what five years ago, So it's also bit by bit chipping away as well, Like it was another probably four another, probably three years before I actually em seed an event and was like in charge of hosting the whole thing versus turning up as a speaker.
Speaker 1: So it's gradual. Oh my god, guys, So.
Speaker 3: Not only had like so many false starts to this episode, but we just kept talking for another like fifteen minutes and then realized we couldn't see the screen because we're wearing Speedo sunglasses. For this episode indoors for some reason that the recorder had stopped recording because the card was full, and then three other cards were full, and then we kept trying to restart again and now have totally lost steam to finish the episode. We're going to end and we're gonna call it. The table of contents has decided. There are no more contents for today's in forty eight.
Speaker 1: Minutes longer, the table is no longer.
Speaker 3: We made it through three questions. I think that people.
Speaker 1: We made it through two questions and I didn't even finish the answer and our video cut off, so we don't oh.
Speaker 3: And then when we went to check the video after, we were like, well, ship, the audio is gone, so the video probably will be too. It's had optimized storage, and I don't know when it stopped recording.
Speaker 1: Probably stopped recording it. We suck.
Speaker 3: We're not even going to make it through, which we didn't in the end. So we will be back next week with our Oh. Actually, I can't even promise that we'll be back at TVC six months. The next six to twelve months, whenever the next episode comes out, we will finish it answer questions, which means that you.
Speaker 1: Now have more question.
Speaker 3: You now have more time to submit chaotic fun question.
Speaker 1: We also well this feeding of glasses for no reason. If that thing wasn't recording the the.
Speaker 3: Video, my god. And then the speedo's are the only reason why I didn't see that it's stop recording because I can't see red I can't see red color.
Speaker 1: They're not speedos.
Speaker 3: Speed dealers. Yeah, we call them speedos babies. Yeah, but people call speed dealers speedos. Really yeah, people as in me. No, My dear friend mattcha Abino, who introduced who I wanted to Antarctica with, introduced me to speed dealers and he and he's like, he's even younger than.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm in front of my time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we need to end it and turn back. We need to I'm cutting.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to do it anymore.