Speaker 1: You're listening to Amma Mia podcast. Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. Whoever said orange is a new pink with seriously disturbed.
Speaker 2: Laurels for spraying groundbreaking?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you have.
Speaker 2: To do it.
Speaker 1: You live for fashion. Hello, and welcome to Nothing to Wear, the podcast that solves fashion problems and levels up your wardrobe. I'm Lee Campbell and every week I chat to an expert who helps us work out how to get more out of the clothes we already own and tells us exactly what is and isn't worth adding to our wardrobe. Now, in case you missed it, last week, I got to chat with Lucinda Perquat, a true expert in trend forecasting, and we got to the bottom of what really makes a brand call. Lucinda had so many incredible insights that I had to ask her back again. We couldn't fit it all in one episode. So this week we're unpacking how to actually find these cool underground brands. Endorsements add to the it factor, and of course we're going to finish off with Bougie and budget and this week it's Cool Brand addition, how do you discover all these newer upcoming brands? Is it your algorithm? I mean, I know it's your job, but call feels underground and a bit secret. So how do you find what ends up on your radar?
Speaker 3: It's just algorithm, but reading as well, and also just choosing a category.
Speaker 2: So recently I've been spending a bit of time on surf culture.
Speaker 1: You're so funny with your categories. You choose shorts for the week, for the week, I mean, it's quite clever rather than my scattered thoughts.
Speaker 2: But then, but I am such a TYPEB person. I know I'm sounding a little bit ach No.
Speaker 1: I like that, So you'll go deep on it, like on subset, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And discover people because this is going back to that authenticity. You can't fake being part of that subcultural brand. So I actually think there's an opportunity, a niche within someone creating an Australian surf around at the moment. And just because I identify that doesn't mean I'm necessarily the right person for it. No, because I don't know anything. I've bought a surfboard once watching Crush, never used.
Speaker 1: It, so that leads me to this. I think you've answered it in your opinion. You can't manufacture coolness.
Speaker 3: It's like the marketer or the consumer, so you can. I don't think it's going to be as successful or most likelihood of it succeeding. It has happened. So for example, slightly off category, but an espresso. I always love using this as an example. They're capsule pods. They've got George Clooney, big budget behind them. Him is the face in terms of the product. It's not like the best coffee you can get on the market. But using him and the idea that sort of challenging different product idea and how you use it made it cool and true.
Speaker 2: Son.
Speaker 1: Then when you go to a Westfield, you know how the top floor is always the fancy boutiques in espresso stores up there, like, which makes it feel premium. It's positioning right.
Speaker 3: Consumer ad is where it's coming from, that cultural relevance, so.
Speaker 1: That's probably more authentically cool other than paying money to buy a celebrity to make it cool.
Speaker 3: That's right, and I don't think it's ever a last forever New Balance. They were the ones like that was a Daggy so Daggy? What was that movie with Ryan Gosling.
Speaker 1: Oh why not crazy stupid love, crazy sexy love, crazy stupid love.
Speaker 3: Yes, so and he actually threw them over the balcony. Yeah, because they were cool. Yeah, but it was from that whole gorpe core. It was consumer lad. I remember it was Leon and Lo DiCaprio was one of the first people to wear it, and then Haley Beaver Bella hadid started wearing this shoe and it was consumer driven, which made it cool. Whereas Tom Henshaw, who's the director of Lifestyle and Marketing in the States, he said he never anticipated them popping off to be a thing, right, So they were two thousand and six, were just soul inserts, orthotic inserts.
Speaker 1: Isn't that insane?
Speaker 2: They didn't want to be cool, No, and.
Speaker 1: Now they're pretty happy they are. We're going to get into Bougian budget in a moment, because honestly, I could talk to you for ten years. But that leads me into my last question. Celebrities influences. You've just kind of illustrated how that can make a brain and skyrocket. Do you think that as a regular consumer listening? I mean, some people love to emulate what people in the public eye are wearing. Do you think that can be detrimental to a brand if it feels like to product placement or sold out. What role do you reckon Celebrities and influences play in this space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot.
Speaker 3: They play a huge role. We saw it with Crocs even that was an example of like a daggy chow. Do you feel about crocs? I've never worn them. I don't know, mind eventually I tried.
Speaker 1: I mean they're very comfortable. Unfortunately I thought it would feel like walking in a bucket, but they're very comfortable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it was justin Bieber. It was around that whole functional style and trend. He was wearing the yellow ones and that's sort of what took.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, celebrities, whether it be naturally through their stylist or themselves or paying someone to wear it. Back to Subie, they've paid Kendall Jennet where there's but it's about relevancy and that was a few years ago. But in terms of maybe smaller brands and influencers, it's like do you want brand awareness or do you want to.
Speaker 2: Try and be cool? Because they're very different objectives.
Speaker 3: If you want to seed out to every influencer, you know it dilutes that brand identity of who you are, So.
Speaker 1: The calls doesn't always equal cash if you're a business owner.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, So having maybe three muses and she if they really live and breathe the brand, or however many you want, and just they're the ones wearing your product, yes, and you're right cool doesn't it's not necessarily commercially. It can be, but it just depends what your objectives are.
Speaker 1: Agreed. That's funny that you mentioned the seeding of celebrities. I'm ninety nine percent sure it was Aaron with Triangle, Aaron Deering who launched Triangle back in the day social media was kind of very new, and she very cleverly gifted every one of Kendall Jenner's friends, but not Kendall Jenner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Kendall Jenner effect.
Speaker 1: And then so Kendall was like what and then reached out and was like hi, or maybe she bought some. And then when Kenda wore them because she felt she had fomo, bam love it.
Speaker 2: It works so well.
Speaker 1: I don't know what happened to thought of that. Also, I hope these celebrities just buy their own bloody coats. How do people get their address and how do they go through all their mail?
Speaker 3: There's also the other switch side of that, so if you're really trying to curate a brand. Beckham Bridge this was always like a story circulating around fashion, but they saw when can you imagine a time when Kim Kardashian wasn't cool and you wouldn't want her wearing your stuff? So this would have maybe in two thousand and six, Ish was wearing a Beckett and Bridge dress and they contacted the stylist to say, can we not do that?
Speaker 2: Because by brand so it can work both ways. You want to be curating who's wearing your stuff?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know what, if someone buys it wants to wear it, you can't stop them. And good on that. It's very expensive. How wondre the percent? Okay, so bougie and budget. This is a really hard one to bring. But we're going to bring brands that we think are call mm hmm. Call is different to everyone. I mean, my mum is almost eighty and we go shopping and she goes, oh, I'm not going to that old lady's store. She just loves seed and country road and jag and to me on a nearly eighty year old. That's cool. So Call is different to everyone, so true. Let's recommend some brands that we think are call. Do you want to start with something fancy or not so fancy?
Speaker 2: I'll do fancy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's go bougie too, Yeah, yeah too, give me more, give me more.
Speaker 2: The one I mentioned the Whales Bonner.
Speaker 3: I think that's just a new if you're wearing it, even in Australia, I don't think she's really over here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to go.
Speaker 3: So she's interesting, same sort of price point. Maybe is like an aerondearing.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's fancy, that's fancy. But now but tailoring. Yeah, okay, what's your other one?
Speaker 2: My other one? This one's sort of playing into that storytelling.
Speaker 3: Have you heard a redone where they redo an upcycle Levi denim they're on I think they're on revol I love this sustainability factor. Yes, but they just reshape old Levi's and you're playing into that legacy.
Speaker 2: You're buying into that lead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like heritage brand coolness.
Speaker 2: But reshaping them and redoing them and then they're unique. Ye're just that cool story behind it. So that's redone that iss whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's another good point is that the circular economy has never been bigger luxury resale thrifting, and that is cool, and you can't manufacture that really except for Redone the works that out. But you know, you go into a lot of stores now and there's even like a department store there's a reloved section and it's just so good because I think that is the epitome of coolness. Because the items are unique, you're saving them from landfill, they're generally more affordable.
Speaker 3: That's I think the way in terms of trend forecasting, where brands will need to go, they'll need to have this sort of wardrobe higher section as.
Speaker 2: Part of what they offer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree basically what we're all doing online with Facebook Marketplace.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I'm trying my hands at deep Off at the moment. It's a minefield, but instead of selling stuff bystop. Yeah, it's so good, all right. My Bougie is a brand that I don't know how to pronounce. I should jwp pie Pei. It is a brand out of LA twenty eighteen I dis covered a few years ago. I was actually overseas in a department store and because it was the department store, I thought it was really expensive for fancy handbags. And then again I went overseas last year and I finally looked and I was like, these are not as expensive as I thought. Now they're on the iconic, so it's still expensive. Like I bought a beautiful fake suede, but like big Olive Green beautiful bag, it came yesterday, so there were around the sort of smaller bags are like one seventy. Bigger bags are like two two fifty. You look at their branding and it looks I mean, they've got one point five million followers, so they're definitely not underground. But it's just really cool architectural shapes, amazing branding. Also, what's cool at the moment is not going and getting your big logo or six thousand dollar bags.
Speaker 2: I've seen that, aren't we Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's almost the quiet luxury in that it's just a beautiful, well made bag that might be one hundred dollars up to you know, six hundred and seven hundred dollars. But I feel like a lot less people are going for that designer bag statement because it's not quote unquote cool budgets. So what's cool for you in the lower end. This is even harder.
Speaker 3: I think I was gonna say, I was actually gonna recommend someone I follow on deep hop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, great, Yeah, I'm gonna follow.
Speaker 2: The way back where.
Speaker 3: And I actually think this has become her full time job, like just deep.
Speaker 2: I've bought some really cool R. M.
Speaker 3: Williams sort of shorts, like she's cut into bidmudle length shorts. Cool, and I've bought a couple of other like I got this raffler and playing into that whole country club vibe. But it's not all preppy. She has some like nice vintage things, and she's and she's Australian and yeah that.
Speaker 1: Circular economy an Australian business. Really she actually travels the world looking for things.
Speaker 3: And she had this really cool denim jacket that had an old ski pass in it.
Speaker 2: From like the eighties. So there's some nice story and isn't that a cool story? That's a story you want to tell about.
Speaker 1: It totally, And you know that's a brand of itself. It's fashion. She's not making it, but it's still a fashion brand and that's what.
Speaker 2: She does with. Yeah, it's so way back where.
Speaker 1: You're spending all my money, Okay, mine, I wanted to bring something affordable, but it's hard to think of cool affordable. There's a lot of amazing Aussie brands that are affordable. And then I thought, you know what's different and unique that's still in like this price bracket is verg Girl. Yeah, I'm wearing I'm wearing their skirt this morning. I love that. I go on to all the websites and like you were saying before, everything feels a little bit same same Zye. You know. You see, of course Burgundy is everywhere, but you see the same sort of linens in summer from all the affordable brands and this and thats Verge Girl is Australian. I think my skirt was ninety nine dollars, not that people can see what it is, but it's a bit sort of bohemian. How do you summ It's got personality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I even a bit more like resort style.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is resorts style. It's almost like if Dish went on a holiday, if that makes sense. I do get a lot of their stuff in summer, but even in winter they do beautiful sort of like knit sets. They are just like I'm just on their website.
Speaker 3: Now, skirt, you're wearing reminds me of the og Glory days.
Speaker 2: Alison'call. Yes, so it's this.
Speaker 1: I'm wearing this floor length Maxi skirt with Sequini with light blue. I had a guest to talk about this skirt six months ago on the show and it was sold out and then I stalked. I emailed them and I was like, hi, and they're like, we're not getting a back. It's only if their f there's a return. They have sensory stopped because so many people wanted it. And I literally checked to the website seven hundred times a day and someone returned my size and I bought it. But you know, I'm just on their website at the moment. They've got really cool like beautiful widely lace pants ninety nine dollars. I mean, I know, laces everywhere, but it's just not that cookie cutter mass s brand that you'll see. Everything's like a hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: It feels fun.
Speaker 1: It feels fun. It's personality, and you know, if that's not your whole vibe, you just mix and match some of their pieces with, you know, like I do with my Zara and my h and m my Uniglow and I just it's got a bit of personality. Love it. You're a genius. You're like a walking branding encyclopedia.
Speaker 2: It's so nice to be on here to talk about it. I try to talk to my husband when he gets home from I don't care about that.
Speaker 1: My husband sells private health insurance. He tries to talk to me about that.
Speaker 2: That's worse.
Speaker 1: Thank you for joining me. Will you come back again soon? I'd love that absolutely love that was amazing. Thank you, thank you, Thank you for listening to Nothing to Wear And don't forget. There's a wonderful free newsletter that will land in your inbox. Just go to the show notes, click the link and sign up. See you next week. This episode was produced by Molly Harwood, with audio production by Lou Hill