Speaker 1: You're listening to Amma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: MoMA Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on lazy Girls. Before we get into it, we know that Elasier don't like doing things. Follow this podcast. There's a button and you can click follow when it comes up. I never follow things because it's a step and I don't like steps. But tap it and it'll automatically come up and you can find us every week on Tuesday. Hello, and welcome to Canceled, the podcast that looks at silly celebrity crimes and assigns charges and sentences to them so we can all move on with our lives. I'm Claire Stephens and I'm Jesse Stevens. And Jesse, do you have a lazy Girls story for us? I do? I have one that came through our email. This is a reminder. You can send lazy Girls stories podcast at mummea dot com dot are you and if you put in the subject line something along the lines of lazy girls then indicates to us it's a lazy girl story for the podcast. Yes, okay, this one is from Annie my lazy girl story. I hop into bed one night, get all cozy and warm reading my book. Then I realize I haven't put my phone on charge, which sits on my dresser on the other side of my room. I really didn't want to get out of my warm bet, so I text my husband, who's downstairs, that I have a bad headache and could he please bring me some painkillers. He's upstairs with the goods I don't need. Shortly after and I ask him if he could put my phone on charge for me while he's here. He's on to me. He rolls his eyes and he puts it on charge. Anyway. I give him a wink and a butts lap and send him on his way, happily reading my book in bed. She's a lazy girl, warm and company, lazy girl for the weird. I love it because there's something about asking four panad dol can't question you get out of jail. Sometimes I do that, Like sometimes I'll just be a mad bitch right and be awful yeah, and Y'll be like oh and it's clearly like one cutting comment too many, and I'm like, I'm not well, I'm fine or period pain don't have mine? And then I even at like a cheeky three am I've been known to do this. Right, I'm parked. I get very parched, right, especially if we've had burgers and we'll get to two or three am, and I'll go, I really want to water. And also maybe I went to hard on the burgers. Maybe I donate a panadole. But with panadole inevitably comes or some hydration. And so I say, get me, and then you take the two panel and then you wash it down and you're like, actually, I was just this. I feel like I'm gonna faint.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: You know who's not a lazy girl? Jojo more la any lazy girl. So today we are talking about Jojo Siwa. Is that a real name? Joel Joni Sewa is an American singer, dancer, actress, and media personality.
Speaker 1: I don't really care about what they did. I'm come back like a boom of band. And Jojo had a well out to my new house.
Speaker 2: Hey, you guys give my dancing because you know it was out.
Speaker 1: There's a a little bit.
Speaker 2: What has go to you, guys?
Speaker 1: I'm a human brand?
Speaker 2: Yeah you are? You are a human brand? Yeah? Oh I want to be you. She has more energy than all the lazy girls put together. Easily. And this is why lazy girls aren't celebrated enough, because sometimes you can have too much energy. Sometimes you can and you can try too hard and do too much. And even like you're dancing, I just think could do with less energy. Yeah, just less. Just she is twenty one. That actually makes me feel a bit bad because can you imagine the cringe shit we would have done. Actually no, because we were too lazy and too shy. But yeah, you're allowed to be cringe at twenty one. Yeah, in fact, you're obliged. Well. I feel like we should start off by just saying Jojo see why is a bit of fun. Yeah, and this isn't about Jojo see why the person no Joelle or whatever you said her name is. It's about Joe Josie Well, the idea and with that we can have a play. Yes. In twenty thirteen, when she was about ten, she appeared as the youngest contestant on the second season of Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition, produced by Abby Lee Miller of Dance Mum's Fame.
Speaker 3: No New Crane Children, that buck yell, I'm gonna cry.
Speaker 2: She deserves nothing.
Speaker 3: Don't have an attitude that you are entitled in this world.
Speaker 1: You are not.
Speaker 2: You deserve nothing else you earn it. Speaking of people, you cancel along the way, we'll get to Abby. Then. From twenty fifteen to twenty sixteen, so starting when she was about twelve, she appeared as a dancer on two seasons of Dance Mums with her mum Jessa Lee. Okay, I have not seen Dance Mums in full, but I've seen it like clips on Yeah. I've seen so many clips on TikTok that I think I have actually seen the whole thing, and they do give a general sense of things. What I need to know is whether Jojo Siwa can dance. Can Jojo Seaward dance, Yes, so, she can tie her hair back tied, she can put her bone air things, she can do the splits are right. Can she do tricks? Yes? All right, But I would say she's not the best at tricks. I watched a Dance Mum's clip where it's her and another hip hop dancer and they're like, Jojo, you were out shown by the other hip hop dancer who is far better at tricks. I don't understand a lot about dance, but I think I prefer hip hop because I don't really understand jazz or tap, contemporary temporary, but as an outsider, and I think this is probably something that all dancers should listen to. Lean in, Lean in if you're a dancer. We want tricks, more tricks, because when we see movements we think we can do that, we know we can't. And this is something I've noticed watching the DCC the Cheerleader Show, is could I do that? Do I have the rhythm? No? But I imagine I could. When you do a trick, a trick such as a jump split, that's when I know you're better than me. So I never understand when I watch a routine why it doesn't go trick trick, trick trick, I have only trick. I even think it in the Olympics with the floor routine, Yes, with the rhythmic, and then they do a thing feedback, more treats. Yes, and they do a thing where they just kind of do a few actions, do a few actions. I can do actions. You can do a front flip. Do that? Do the front Why would you do a routine and not do a front flip. Ever, if you can do it, you need to be doing it. So I did watch chick clip where it was the girl who was doing all the tricks, and one of the mums was like, well, you know, tricks are good when you're young, but then you need skill. No, tricks are always good. Tricks are One thing I will say about Jojo in terms of her dancing, She's no Maddie Zigler, okay, And what Maddie Zigler has is and I've learned this from DCC chilias present personality. But she has the factor. Oh y race, some people have the HP factor and people don't like Victoria. It's like she's a Victoria is Jojo She's not the Victoria because she's actually got all the personality. And I'd say they always say Jojo, you're a star, but to me, the skill is not as high as Maddie. Okay. Anyway. From twenty seventeen onwards, Jojo was signed to Nickelodeon and released music and appeared in a bunch of Nickelodeon shows. There was an animated show called The Jojo and Bobo Show Show because she narrated.
Speaker 1: Pernics Yojo e Bobo and Welcome to the Jojo Babo Show.
Speaker 2: Yo.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: She has one song Boomerang from that era with a music video watched over one billion times. Wow, I've never watched her.
Speaker 3: They can keep tugging that.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna keep buck mar Block and I want you with se.
Speaker 3: Yellowish Chanzy.
Speaker 2: She became iconic for her hair bows and she released her own line of hair bows, which we will get to. Recently, she went viral for her song Karma and the public Arma that match. I should have known better. You know that has lived rent free in my head for what feels like he is now. She has also appeared on the US version of The Masked Singer and Dancing with the Stars, where she and her partner came second. I think that's cheating. Going on Dancing with the Stars when you're on Dance Mums is cheating. She was also a judge on So You Think You Can Dance and just as a side note, she was listed as one of Time's one hundred most Influential People in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one, where the World's at Also just fun fact, JoJo's mum started bleaching her hair when she was a toddler, like one and a half.
Speaker 3: I have been dyeing my hair since I was like two, maybe one and a half. I'm not a natural blonde. I'm actually a natural bloud. I get brown loods, so I have to diet so it looks like I'm a natural blonde.
Speaker 2: So you've got six months to be able to start bleaching Luna's hair. I must say, Lona's head does not know what color is. It's very mousey. My structure for today is as follows. Dance Mums, her hairbow range, a little girl dressed as a monkey, America's Got Talent controversy Karma. Unrelatedly, the promotion of Karma and Jojo. Have you learned nothing? Dance Mums Dance Moms deserves its own episode of canceled. We have known this for some time, but it's hard because how do you be exhaustive? We've got to sit down and watch the whole seam. Is this the one with the Abbey Lee Yeah? Okay. The show followed the training and careers of children in dance under Abby Lee Miller and followed them on the Abbey Lee Dance Company Junior Elite competition team as they learned and competed. The best part was all the mums fighting with each other and fighting with Abby and they're like, why did you give that solo to that dancer. My kid is better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so I just want your mother to quit speaking for you. You're fifteen years old.
Speaker 2: Grow the hell up. You know what, you shut the hell up. No, did you just sit here and say that my daughter looks miserable, so maybe we should put kilany in her place? Said yes, you most certainly. No, I didn't dang that lesson. I said, brook girls out the room. In the years since the show, Miller has been criticized for her toxic and abusive teaching methods. She shamed young girls for their weight. She did things like making them dance with the sack of potatoes and then saying that's how it'll feel if you put on five pounds. She named their stomachs like, gave them like nicknames. She mocked contestants, and she was generally just very very cruel. That was the stick. She's also been accused by past contestants of being racist, with a mom from the show calling her and her daughter's experience traumatic like she loves having like a storyline for a kid who happened to be a person of color, where it's like, oh, you're from the slums whatever, playing into racist stereotypes. Yeah, she made some very poor decisions. One episode of the show called Topless show Girls no longer appears on streaming services because it made the children, the little girls appear topless with like nude tops, and people went, actually, that ain't right. I think I was talking to Mum about this recently with dancing, because I look at my little girl. We put the wiggles on and she bounces excitedly, so dancing. She's got the music in her right. And I think I understand the appeal of dance. It's great exercise and it's great expression. Level of that. What I don't understand is why we have to hump chairs because it happens very quickly, so quickly from wiggles hot Potatoto to humping chairs. And then we're in leotards with our bottoms hanging out, and we are four years old, and we are four years old, and we are wearing lip liner and we do have eyelashes on. It's like, how is that related to the dance. Why can't we dance to Dorothy the Dinas? Yeah, just dressed them all up as dinosaurs. I don't care. But it's the humping of the chair line yeah, or the topless show girls, or the let's chuck a pole in there and get them to gyrate that. I go, this feels sexualized. Yeah, it does. In twenty sixteen, Abby Lee then pled guilty to concealing her income from her performances on the show in twenty twelve and twenty thirteen, bankruptcy fraud, concealment of bankruptcy assets, and false bankruptcy declarations. So she spent a year and one day in prison. Oh my god, do you think she thris she's a literal criminal and also like a cultural criminal. But I feel like if I was in prison and Abbylee walked in, I'd be like, I don't endorse what you did. Can you teach me that? I'd be like, take me a trick, scream at me like you scream it. Jojo. This year, during a Dance Mum's reunion, when past contestants were expressing their distress over their experiences under Abby, Jojo defended her. She said, to me, Abby was always right. One thing I've learned really working insane and Hollywood is that's normal, and it's scary that that's normal. But that taught me how to survive in the industry. So basically, she was saying to all the girls who were saying, oh, my self esteem, my life trajectory was negatively affected by this woman who relentlessly yelled at me as a child. Jojo was saying, Mmm, yeah, but like tough enough, because that's what the industry is. Yeah, well that's the problem.
Speaker 3: M M.
Speaker 2: I'd also like to enter into the courtroom JoJo's vibe on Dance Moms Okay as a ten year old. In one episode, Jojo is a guest performer and she's replacing Maddie. Maddie has to do some work with Sea Ah. Yes, yes, Abby misses JoJo's performance. So JoJo's performing at a competition. Abby is late. Jojo went first. JoJo's mum leans forward in the row where she's watching from and says, Abby, just so you know, I'm really disappointed that you miss JoJo's performance because she worked really hard for that performance. Then Abby gives all the dances a talk and says, you can't be looking for me in the audience because I might not be there. And Jojo I'd say, she yells, do you feel bad you miss me? Because I'm your special guest. Abby tells JoJo's mom that she's creating a one. It's very that, it's very Jojo talking back really and then and then she goes she's got her mouth on her. She gets sent out and her mom says, you've got to go in and apologize so that you can still be part of the show. And then she's like, you're better than her. Jojo Ah bet ah, Yeah, so Jojo. A lot of the feedback for Jojo was you're a star. You've got all the energy you need to listen. Okay for you're listening as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, there's a lot of talking back her hair bow range. When Jojo left Ounce Mums, she got a manager who basically said, you are meant to be a star. Whatever you want, I will make it happen. And so she got her a Nickelodeon deal and then that led to a whole lot of merch and an article Informs from twenty twenty interviews Jojo and she says there are five hundred Nickelodeon employees worldwide that support the Jojo brand. I can't be present in every business meeting because they're probably having three Jojo meetings right now. People in Hong Kong are probably having Jojo met. People in Australia are probably having Jojo meeting because it's such a huge franchise. I probably spend most of my time with Jojo toys. They are the biggest seller. How old was she when she was saying this, Like teens? Like seventeen eighteen? Okay, cool. They're the biggest seller, followed by accessories, apparel and then bedding. Shoes are included in apparel. Walmart just placed their biggest shoe by ever. It was for over one million pairs of JoJo's shoes. That can't be good. They just can't be good for your head. It can't be good for landfill. But like for Jojo, as a human who's trying to manage an ego, we just need to not be telling Jojo there's one million JoJo's shoes with her face on it, and little girls are sleeping with Jojo in their bed Like, I just don't think it's good for us and out speaking of our place in the world. Her biggest seller of all time has been her those I think I remember the bows, she said in this interview. It all started with the bows. So far we've sold over eighty million. What I look like I'm going to look it up. They're huge and colorful and sometimes bedazzled. I like a bow. The pricing ranges from five dollars to sixteen dollars a bow. So this In this Forbes article, they did a conservative estimate which was four hundred million dollars generated by bow sales alone, like multicolored, Yeah yeah, every color? Yeap, got it. She's on the record is describing her bows as a symbol of power. Confidence.
Speaker 1: This isn't a word but believing.
Speaker 2: This, believing. Sometimes something's just a bow, and it's not about believing this. In twenty sixteen, she released a line of hair bows in collaboration with Clare's you know that fashion and jewelry accessory companies Europe, maybe America too. Yeah yeah. The line of hair bows was particularly successful among primary school students in the UK yep. So successful that so many schools had to actively ban them because they breached the uniform policy, too colorful to be and also because, as one head teacher told the BBC, they're distracting. Oh they are. They're enormous, so practically a hat. Apparently, they also caused issues with peer pressure and students' concentration on and not being able to see the ball. No, because you're sitting in the back of the classroom and you're like, I can't see over my bows. On a mum's net forum discussing the bows, one mum told of how her ten year old daughter spent all of her Christmas and Birthday money over one hundred pounds on bows. She said, I'm tempted to chop them all to pieces in the middle of the night and claim ignorance. On the other hand, one mum told The Daily Mail she felt the schools were treating the bows like guns by banning them. Yeah. Another head teacher said, we have a massive curriculum now in primary schools and there simply is no time for added distractions like this. Then, in twenty nineteen, Claire's recalled Jojo Siwa branded makeup kit after the FDA issued a warning about it containing dangerous levels of ASBESTA. The practical users of asbestos are very numerous, Joji, how did we get asbestos now to make up something to do with talc I actually went quite far. There were quite a lot of products that got recalled, but Jojo had to an apology and she said, even if you started to use it even whatever you return it, you get your money back. Because it has you shouldn't you shouldn't keep using it. He's asbestos maker. And that's why I mean, I'm not blaming Jojo, but this is why we go to our meetings m because when they're like, we're doing a vote today on whether we put we sprinkle a bit of asbestos in our makeup. Well, I don't know. She probably wouldn't have even known that was bad. Yeah, she would have been like, does it cost anything? A little girl just as a monkey. In twenty twenty, Jojo was accused of having white dancer Lilliana Ketchman in blackface in her circus themed music video for a song called non Stop Stuff.
Speaker 1: In their.
Speaker 2: Naked chat Jesse, here are the stills from that film clip. Tell me what you see? Yeah, I mean she's got black face. That is a child who has painted their face brown. She's doing a trick, but she's very much painted her face brown. But she's painted her face brown clearly to be a monkey. I don't know if that makes it better or worse. No, because the edge is going in yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. Here's another one. She's also doing a trick. But you can clearly see we just don't paint our face brown in George Floyd. Yeah yeap no yeah too recent. The video was released on June teenth, a holiday commemorating the effective end of slavery in the United States. Incredible timing. Great. When people called it out, Jojo turned off YouTube comments and posted to Instagram, this is for all the people I block today. Peace out, girl scout. This is my Instagram and anyone who is going to be mean is not going to be allowed on here. People are bossing me around, telling me who to follow, what to post, what to like, what to say, what to do, everything what. So She's like, stuff all of you, and it's like, that's what happens when you're told you're a star from the age of like eight, and the people in Hong Kong are having meetings about Jojo. Mm hmm you doing yeah yeah, and people call me down take on feedback. We don't take on feedback. Well, no, America's got talent. Controversy girl group X. I don't even know how to say this, and I was so unaware of this and to I researched it for this episode. X OMG pop exclamation mark. Yeah They were originally formed by Jojo Sewa and her mum, jesse Lynne, on their reality TV show Seawards Dance in twenty twenty one. I cannot explain how many shows this family have been evolved in. Does she have a dad? I've not really heard about dad. Okay, So her dad is Tom Okay, happens to be a chiropractor. Maybe a lot of her dance moves are adjustments. Yeah. So they put together this group and then that group go on to compete on America's Got Talent. But in March twenty twenty four, an article released by Rolling Stone accused the Sea was of creating a hostile work environment. Leah Sanderson, who has Spina biffitter, was part of the original lineup of the group, and she said she was fired after her mum, Angie, raised her concerns about the treatment of her daughter and the members of the group. With the other mothers as well as a studio teacher. Sources said that jesse Lynn was overtly cruel to the group and shamed one member for having a disability, and accused Jojo of being nasty and domineering, even claiming she screamed insults at the girls during a performance, Jojo, We're taking after Abby again. It's like I'm controlled energy. Mm. She doesn't know where to put it. How she yells at random? Yeah. Jojo denied the allegations she would Yeah, but she hasn't said anything else. And I guess this is kind of herm is that she just totally ignores and doesn't say anything because she's like criticism. Huh. I'm jo Jos of my bedding, Karma and relatedly, the promotion of Karma. In April this year, Jojo released her debut single as a grown up artist, Colma, I was a bad girl.
Speaker 1: I did some bad thos. I swear I did it off for fun and knit nursing it never have.
Speaker 2: Not only is the song appalling, but the film clip is hypersexual and just very strange. Yeah all right, so let's just ender some vibes, okay, So come as a bitch. I should. And the dance is severely lacking in tricks. The dance is a series sharp movements that will do your neck out too much. It's too much. The dance needs to be real back twenty it's too much. It's not good on the joints. And then it's kind of like there's a jump in there, and it's not hot. It doesn't make you look good. It doesn't have any rhythm. It's just bam bam, bam, bam bam, which brings us to the esthetic, which is just kiss the band kiss. But it's a lightning thing on her on her face, and she's wearing kind of black leather as though she vented it. But that's just you just stole it. Promoting the single, she said in an interview with Billboard, I want to start a new genre of music. It's called gay pop. People got really mad. Is she gay? Yes? Are you kidding? Have you seen the film clip that it starts with her hum being a girl? Yeah? No, I did say I didn't know. I didn't know, Okay, Okay, something interesting about the film clip is, and people have commented on this, she loves to dance about her sexuality. She loves humping, humping, dry humping. Well, she went to she is, but there's no kissing. Okay, it's like hyper sexualized without like the kind of tiny well, I mean that's very a dance it is.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: It's very a dance school because you kind of learn, you learn splits, you learn pirouette and you learn as a forementioned tump in a chair, so you've got three moves in your epertoire And in order to do her film clip, she was like, a hump, I'll do a jump. She does this awful jump with like bent legs. It just doesn't look right. It looks like it's so bad anyway. So there's never been a gay popeye Conboy. People got really upset about her saying she was inventing a John recalled gay George, Michael, George, Michael, Elton John, just so many. Then there was backlash from queer musicians Teagan and Sarah, who did a video being like, I don't think they even said anything, but it was just that audio, and then being like you feel serious because they massive, yeah, massive queer pop a while ago. See what said in the later interview, I am not the inventor of gay pop for sure not I might not be the president, but I might be the CEO or the CMO. She also then went on a tangent about like what I meant was like, gay pop isn't a genre like blues or wrap, and it's like, yeah, that's because it's you have four hundred people working for you. Why doesn't anyone brief you on like a line on what to say in an interview, what not to say? We rehearse, you know how hard you rehearse those dances? Because I did not ask my TikTok algorithm to show me. I've every rehearsal of you doing your Karma dance and I must stay. Actually, I remember thinking this, this is an incredible launch, like in terms of the publicity, in terms it's incredible in terms of quantity. Quantity, Yes, the girl goes hard on quantity. She was on call her daddy. The song hasn't done well in terms of things. I want to cancel Jojo Force okay, because this is what I was confused about, is according to the world, that song of them performing, according to Jojo Si was TikTok. That song was the best was performing song ever created, which same with my inst with everyone's Instagram. Yes, but when that song came out, she said something that sounded like when I wrote Karma, but not those exact words, and then everybody got mad because they were like, you didn't write it. This other artist, brit somebody had already released it. And what happens in pop music is like this Brit person never properly released it, so it kind of goes back into the pool. And then Jojo picked it out and she's like, I never said that I wrote it, which her language was careful. Anyway, people got so mad at Jojo for saying she wrote it that the brit version of Karma was higher in the charts than JoJo's version. The internet just trolls her back. Yeah, I just troll her back. She also criticized online culture when she was getting some of the backlash for this, saying I could say I want well peace and everyone would be like, how dare you want peace for the world? It'll blow up in her defense, yes, that is culture, but also you're saying some weird things. You're saying some weird things, Jesse. Here are a couple of my favorite interview clips from her. I'd call it a promotional tour, which let's remember she's not promoting an album, She's promoting a single, Okay, And this is what people in the music industry will tell you, less making music, more promotion. Yeah, and she has heard that message loud and clear.
Speaker 1: No one has made this dramatic of a change yet, no one has made in my generation, there's dream of a switch and I am the first of the generation. It is very scary, but.
Speaker 2: Was gonna do it. She reminds me of my administration has accomplished more than almost any administration. She has the same, and she has Tom Trumper. I mean it lovingly, which is but it's like audacity, audacity and delusion. Miley Cyrus, for example, is someone who made an incredible transformation mana. She didn't say that. No one says that. No one says that. But then she said of my generation, I'm like, oh, you are twenty one, like something else is in her generation. Yeah, I mean, I don't know, but it just it's a weird thing to say, Honey, we need to again twenty five percent less always.
Speaker 1: And I started doing music, and honestly, we started off like pretty pretty calm, like nothing like nothing like what's up right now? And then I got pitched this song Coma and it's the first word is iur was a bad girl And I was like, oh fuck, it's a good song. I was like, but I can't say that. I can't say I'm a bad girl. I'm not. I sang every Girl's a super girl last week, like I can't sing I was a bad girl this week.
Speaker 2: It doesn't work, Jesse. That's from her her daddy. Yeah, I think I listened to the whole thing and she was what did she wearing in that interview with the friend of that with the Remember when we were in high school and you would get doorbeads, doorbeats were disgusting by the ways at and it's like this is distracting and no one says anything. It's just the whole time. But it's the earnestness. She's like, you know the lyrics were You think that she's gonna say something outrage but she's like, I can't. I wasn't a bad girl. I wasn't a bad gral. She's like, I was eighteen, I wasn't a bad girl. But now I'm twenty one and it's like, whoa jojo? What have you done? Your hair down? Taking it at your bones. It's very easy to mark. I don't think there's a word in the English language for jojo energy. It's such confidence in yourself.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: It's a generation that grew up on believe in yourself and that's all you need to do. It's like when they talk about themselves, tears come to their eyes. They are over there come. They're moved by themselves and their own talent. Yeah, and brilliant and success. Yeah, cancel, listeners. Can you help us think of a word? Yeah, we need to add a new word to the dictionary. That is jojo and also Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: I am the first of the generation.
Speaker 2: Nobody can do it like me? Nobody? Yes, my podcast, Oh my.
Speaker 1: Gosh, I mean, honestly, let's myst think that one of my exes.
Speaker 2: Oh, dream yes on my podcast on my exites all now, I have said that sentence so many times. Dream guess on my podcast one. Why does she sound like two things smoking for fifty years? It's not. It's like Selma from the Simpsons. What are their names? Marge's yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, she sounds like them. He's wearing pain, which is interesting because her instrument is her voice and she doesn't take care of it. The vocal friars out of this world, Yes, one of my axes. All. It's a way that she's so like can you believe her? And it's like you said it and she turns around and she's like, oh that's okay. She just thinks she's so cool and chilled out and relaxed. Yes, like she's just said something candid. It's like she's writing the headline as she says it. Yeah, like Joel d said it, and it's like, but what you've said isn't even a very unusual thing to say. It's not particularly interesting, and you've added too much energy to it. You know. People say like it's confidence instead of competence or something like it. Your confidence is masking a lack of substance. Substance beneath speaking of confidence, did you know that she got the eye makeup that she had at the iHeart Radio Awards that were fled stop it stopid she just werves free there. It's the same eye makeup and costume that she wears in the film clip for Karma. Anyway, she got that tattooed on her forearm. Oh, you're gonna regret that. We're gonna regret that, Jojo. This is why we need to do things in arms. Yeah, we just need to be a little bit more half hearted with what we put out into the world. Jesse. Here are some of the reactions to Karma. I want you to read them all right, tell me why I just watched Jojo Sewa's music video, and she was humping the girl so harshly. I have tears. I'm embarrassed in this community. That video should have stayed in the drafts. Yeah correct, Yeah, okay, here we go. The film clip is just I don't think she's very good at cory. Yeah. I reckon that. If Abby Lee teaches her a dance, I think she can pull it off. I don't think she's a choreographer. Okay. I need everyone to know. The label told Jojo sewat no on the budget to create this music video, so she paid for the entire thing herself, co directed it, and co choreographed it. She talks quite emotionally about how she had the concept for this video two years ago, and then you're like, oh my gosh, what is the concept? What's it trying to say? It's you are dressed as cussed on an island. Yeah, yeah, throwing your neck out. Get that Jojo Sewar video off my timeline. I'm begging. I feel exactly the same, because it wasn't just the music video. It was then everywhere Joe goes, She's like, I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna do it. Everyone's like, please, don't you can surprise she's a pride and everyone's like, she's doing it. There's one in I think Times Square there's like and I'm just like, Jojo, you're gonna hate yourself because she slams too hard. And I'm like, you're young now, but your ankles can't handle it. Jojo me, that wasn't an earthquake. I was learning, Jojo, see while coreography now. That was in response to there was actually an earthquake, and there are a bunch of tweets being like, not an earthquake, not an earthquake? A show an earthquake. That got to Cooda Johnson drawing that interview cranically was great. Question. Finally, Jojo, have you learned nothing? There's a viral moment from Dance Mums where Jojo asks a question and Abby yells at her. This is what she says, don't you.
Speaker 1: Know the order officellas?
Speaker 2: Jojo, have you learned nothing? She's like, do you know the order of the solos? Do you know the order of the solos? The order that we're going in for our solo for one? So she asks someone it's just furious she wasn't, so she yelled, I have you learned? Nothing is angry? It's this way.
Speaker 1: Jojo.
Speaker 2: She's so bad, she's so angry. People say, JoJo's face is actually quite cute reaction to that, because she's not ske she's just confused. She looks like a puppy. It's the kind of scream you would do if your child ran onto a highway and was really like their life was in danger and you just had a second to get them back. Jo asked the stupid question all the time. But my point is now the internet is yelling the same thing at Jojo because she's released other song. Oh has she called Guilty Pleasure? Why have I not heard this? Where's the publicity? Well, where's the publicity? Bit psure, it's not different, it's not different, it's just sid on. What she's done is she's re oriented the Karma dance to face the side, and what it has is a lot of what I'm going to term a stomp and clump, which is when we're just stumping really, really hard, which is I think what dances do when they're making up for a lack of excitement in their routine is they just stamp really hard. And I guess if you're Jojo. You're known for your energy. You're known for your energy, but we're lacking flips bridges, high kit. It's not enough, Jesse. Here are the reactions. There needs to be like a three year break between each song so we can recover mentally. I think my for You page knew that I needed a Jojo brak go No, it's okay, we won't. Someone's written in capitals, Jojo, what's this? That's me? I think my pleasure piece just shriveled up and died. True, yeah, sorry, pleasure piece is part of the levy Okay. JoJo's biggest fan is Jojo, and I do agree with that number. Worry taken by that dance, and she's the one who you know we need to make up of TikTok dance. The idea is that it goes viral and them people do it. I've not seen a single person catch on. The only person I see do JoJo's dance is Jojo. Poor people mocking. Nobody has been like all in earnest learn this dance to look like Jojo, which could be a genius PR strategy. Yeah, because a lot of people have recreated it to laugh at it. It's hilarious. This sounds like it would be in the Trolls franchise. I quite like that. I think her songs generally do sound like they'd be in the Trolls. I agree. There's something you've missed, and I've realized actually worried because there's so much with Jojo that I did worry i'd miss something. And it's one of the most viral Jojo Siwa videos ever. And there's a counselble offense like it could be a complete segment on its own. Okay, you need to watch it at the same time because it's Jojo singing in her car. Oh you know the video, right? Okay, I have an issue in that I deleted TikTok recently for my mental health and it is making my career difficult. Continue, all right, here we.
Speaker 1: Go your sildrit.
Speaker 2: I want you to describe what JoJo's face looks like. It's so rad it's so red, she looks like she's gonna pass out. And what's the caption? So I think she put this on Snapchat and she said, I know it's not perfect, but it's much better than how it started exclamation mark. So she shared this to be like come on give me, because the thing is she does get criticized because people say she doesn't sing, she yells and it's all been auto tuned, yes, And then when people bring that up to her, she's like, I never said I could sing, and it's like you released Carmak. And then she did this in her car because she was like trying to learn how to sing, and she's I wouldn't say she's tone deaf, but like she can't hit yeah, no, no, no, she's missing the note. And then she shared it and she's clearly she's pushing it too hard. Yeah, which she can tell. She's not looking after her vocals no at all, Jesse is time charges and sentences my charge, Jess. The thing is that the judges on Dance Mums they had it right when she was ten, and it's simply that she's got too much energy and there's not enough listening. What's funny about that is I didn't know before Jojo came along. They're inner dance context. You could have too much energy. What you often get is there's not enough energy. Push it harder, push it, push it, push it. Give her a one hundred and ten percent. I don't think we had ever seen a hundred and ten percent until Jojo came along and we went wind it too much. Wind it back one hundred is enough. The other interesting thing about Jojo is so abby. Lee said, she's a star when she's on her own, when she dances with other people, she's out at time. She's out of time. She is what you say about her being out of time when she performs karma on her own in times square, she's out of time. Yeah, she's also out of time with her own dance. Yes, it's just not quite right. So my sentence is quite clear. We've said it a few times, and it's just so incredibly obvious. Jojo, under one of your bows, you've got a dial right of your levels we need to wind and it is on the top of her head. Yeah, under her ponytail. She's got the look of someone who's tied her hair back tight for a lot of diet yea to hide the dial. And we're going to need to wind that dial back a full twenty five percent, Jojo, h and not twenty four percent, because we're still to be stomping if we need to wind it twenty five percent and just some feedback more tricks. Great Yeah, because there are some that need to be wound up. We've said this about say Megan Markle could probably up it a little, Yeah, we need I'm caring midway through a New York and New Year's a performance when she said I don't want to be here, I want to be on holiday. Just wind it up a little, Okay. The other thing with Jojo is she did a performance a Pride that I saw, and she does a trick. She jumps splits and then lands in the splits fabulous. And then she's like, oh my god, can't believe I did this. I can't even do the splits anymore. And I'm like, One, you just did it, so that would have hurt if you can't do it anymore. Two, Jojo, why can't you do the slits anymore? Professional dancer? Spending too much time on your bows and not enough time on your dancing, and that's why there are enough tricks because you can't do them anymore. Well, my charge is related spending too much time on promotion, in fact, only promoting, exclusively promoting. Yeah, so what she did is she sat in the room with the Hong Kong office, the Australian office, all the four hundred people at Nickelodeon. Question remark, question remark, working for Jojo Sieber, and she went, we've done betting, we've done bows. Now let's talk about the promotion for my song Karma. And they went, what song Carma? And she said, we'll get that's the n's meeting. Yeah, yea, Now we're going to talk about the promotion. Yeah, because I'm thinking this and then a blitz. Blitz is the only way I can describe it. In fact, you know how we are looking for the word that describes her personality, blitz. She is a blitz. Oh blitz you yeah, yeah, So thinking of blitz, this is my mood board and it's just kiss the band and I've already got the touch masked. And then they say, why don't we rethink this look and she's like, can't already got the touch? And then she does the dance that she's made up, which really doesn't lyrically or rhythmically with Karma at all. So that's in the aftermath. Now my sentence is different, and in fact, I think Jojo will like this because of the aforementioned charge. If you want to promote something, if you want to sell something, Karma's not working. Guilty pleasure is not working. I think bows have had their day. Bottle it. Mm, whatever's going on. I don't think she's on drugs. No imagine would take that drug. Yeah, whatever's happening. Take it from JoJo's blood and sell it to people like us. Go to your local blood mag give some of the blitz. Call it blitz to others, call it JoJo's blood. I will insert some because I need twenty five percent more. Great idea, that's actually a great health initiative. Bottle Jojo and sell Jojo to people who need it. Jesse, that is all we've got time for on today's episode of Canceled. Canceled is produced by Telissa Bazaz with audio editing by Tom Lyon. If you have a lazy girl story, you can see end it to us at the Twins, Underscore Thoughts or podcasts at momeya dot com dot au. We will share the receipts on our Instagram as well, and we'll ch out to you next week. Bye Byeye