Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mea podcast.
Speaker 2: Mama Mayor acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded.
Speaker 1: On Hello and welcome to Mama Mea out loud. I'm driving the show on Friday where you won't find any news on our Friday show because it's when we unplug from the news cycle and that's exciting. No one cares except me. Today's Friday, the twenty ninth of November. I'm Mea Friedman and.
Speaker 2: I'm Jesse Stevens and I'm Vernon filling in for Holly today.
Speaker 1: Welcome em.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I've just been admiring EM's seven piercings in her ear, and I'm going to go and get some more piercings immediately.
Speaker 3: I'm prone to not an infection, but an irritation of the ear. Yeah, and I feel like that would be multiplying it by seven, and I worry, how is your ear?
Speaker 1: Help?
Speaker 2: It's really bad. So a few of them took I think three years to heal.
Speaker 1: Cool. Cool, Yeah, it happens. Claimer on the show today, Wedding Tax Luxury content creator and bank details on wedding invites. Wait, are we putting your bank details on wedding invites. Now I think I missed a memo. We've got some questions about weddings in twenty twenty four. Plus Jesse it has a TV show that she wants you to watch, which is not unusual. I've got a brilliant podcast episode for you to listen to. And EM's got a balm for your bits. It's our recommendations and our best and worst of the week, which include the delicious part of travel, the festive season, and more news about m's bits. Just kidding, some firm words for playgrounds and feedback.
Speaker 2: But first, in case you miss it, parents are apparently making their children watch sex scenes with them, and I'm so glad this wasn't my generation. So this comes with the increasing worry that children are learning sex through porn, where sex acts like choking BDSM, calling women names like bitch and and anal and anal are kind of being seen as that's just the way sex is. Rather for our generations are were like, that's not really what sex is.
Speaker 1: Well, it's on the menu, but you don't know everybody likes it for every meal and some people don't like it at all.
Speaker 3: Well, the sexual awakening for previous generations might have been looking at your dad's Playboy or looking through, you know, some erotic book you found in your parents' room.
Speaker 1: My brother had a copy of Puberty Blues. That's how I learned about things.
Speaker 3: But now it's like the awakening in the education has all been left to pawn. So I suppose that this is a way of trying to kind of address that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so some parents are turning to sit in front of a TV with their children and watch TV shows or movies where they're actually showing a really I guess, holistic view of someone's first experience having sex that seems closest to normal.
Speaker 1: Have you got any examples?
Speaker 2: Yes, the carriage scene in Bridgeton do you remember that one in season three?
Speaker 1: That was good? Yes?
Speaker 3: And what did these kind of scenes entail that are apparently so educational.
Speaker 2: I think it's the wording around consent. Like I was looking at a redded thread. It's like this subredded that's just four teenagers where they ask questions and adults answer. And one of the questions they had was I know that I have to ask for consent. It was a voicing I know I have to ask for consent, but I'm not sure how to do that while still keeping the intimacy alive, And the answers were very much like, look at this scene from Never Have I Ever? It's a Mindy Kaling show on Netflix where she has sex for the first time, and it's very much like, am I okay to take a clothes off?
Speaker 3: Are you okay to do this?
Speaker 2: Can we do this and still keeping it really intimate? But I think not on sexy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think it's not just that, though, because I think that the sex scenes that you have in TV shows and movies generally are very different to the sex scenes that you have in porn. And if you think about the fact that most young people when they have sex for the first time will have seen hours and hours and hours and hundreds of different scenes of porn, which by definition is hardcore, and we'll be you know, because we know that porn is wired to make your mind crave more and more extreme things to hold your attention. So the sex that you see in porn, it's kind of like learning to drive by watching formula one, right. So the only problem is I don't think anybody asks teenagers about this because I have a teenager. I've got two actually, and my daughter's okay. But my son, if anything even remotely sexual happens in a show, he has to get up and watch, leave the room or turn it off.
Speaker 3: You know why, it is because no teen boy, and I would say, no teen girl wants to feel moderately aroused while in the company of their parents.
Speaker 1: Also just embarrassing.
Speaker 3: It's embarrassing. You don't want to. And I reckon that this story so this was was in the cart and it was all about family sex movie nights. This is why people aren't having kids because they.
Speaker 1: Read white people an't having sex.
Speaker 3: No, because you read stories like this, and you're like, you're telling me that when my child is fourteen, we have to go come on sexy movie night with mummy. Come on, let's put it on and look at it. See how the willy goes in the vagina here, look at all the sexy at that.
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't have to go up the body.
Speaker 2: No, all the case studies were all mums and sons. Yes, yeah, like the daughters don't need it, clearly.
Speaker 3: Where are the others? But I reckon, this is the equivalent to putting a band aid over an open wound or trying to paint a house with a toothpick. Like, we are so far gone, what do we do?
Speaker 1: Jesse.
Speaker 3: I don't think that a single mom and her four thirteen year old boy can pick fizz. I think that we've got it. There's got to be like, whether it's about making more ethical pornography, whether it's about the way that he educated.
Speaker 1: Sit down Johnny and watch this ethical pawn together, and all the women in this consented and were paid well.
Speaker 3: Like I heard a mother saying, well, you know, poor little Johnny doesn't know how you go from the kissing to the sex. And I'm like, poor little Johnny has to work it out, because Mummy, he should with Johnny and tell him where the hand goes. I don't I don't like it.
Speaker 1: But I think that what we all accepted and didn't ever question, was that our early sexual exploration would be quite awkward, quite bumbly. Maybe you're with someone who knew a bit more than you did, but not that much more in most cases. And you know what, I think, all these things are in consent are very important. Kids get told a lot about this at school. Poor teachers in a lot of schools, they have a lot of information about this, of course, not all schools, but I think it's more and I like to have these conversations in the car. As my children will tell you they're trapped. Yeah, they're trapped, and they want lifts places. So that's when you say stuff to them about anal sex is like awful some people really like eating like liver or brains, but not everybody likes it, and even the people who do like it don't necessarily want to have it at every meal.
Speaker 3: Look, I know, start the conversation just like that, and look in defense of anal sex, there are lots of people who do like it. I'm not sure if comparing it to awful or liver is quite fair.
Speaker 1: But there are lots of people who really like eating brains or like liver, or like stomach. But it's not the defaults.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that things that can be harmful, whether that's choking or any like BDSM all that kind of stuff. It's about knowing what you actually want. And I understand trying to subject them to more of that, but the mental load on mothers come. We're much enough, We're busy enough. A wedding tax, luxury wedding content creators, bank details on invites. The people are up in arms about weddings, and it all began with a Reddit thread. So a woman named Emily, I wonder if I wish oh no, because she announced she was getting married.
Speaker 2: Luck, who was, No, you're waiting for that?
Speaker 3: Her older sister was so excited for her, right, she was just like great wedding. But this older sister jumped on the am I the Jerk subreddit to explain what happened next. So Emily, with her wedding, decided to impose a wedding tax on family members who are attending. She writes, they have a list of wedding expenses, things like venue, decor and catering, and they expect each family member to contribute extra to make it all happen. To top it off, her fiance's family is also chipping in, making the whole thing feel less like a celebration and more like a business deal. Apparently this was expected on top of buying a gift. And when she told her sister the wedding.
Speaker 2: Is true, allegedly rage bait because there's no way.
Speaker 1: There is no way, So can you explain to me? So it's like my cousin Jack, come to my wedding. You get to pay for the your de'vs.
Speaker 3: See. I think I don't know if it's cousin. I reckon it's immediate family. I reckon that it's like crowdfunding with your immediate family siblings. YEP is going, Hey, my brother Jack, you can come. But I was thinking you can pay for the photo.
Speaker 1: So it's like a gift registry, but for the cost of the wedding and you send it to immediate family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's the plan. And apparently when she said to her sister, wedding should be about love, they shouldn't be a financial burden, it ended in a screaming match, and Mom and Maya spoke to Wendy L. Curry, who's from Wedded Wonderland, who said that while it's common for people to ask their parents to contribute, that's quite a common practice, or the guest to contribute to a honeymoon fund, this kind of thing is unusual. Yeah, to ask you to the sibling.
Speaker 2: You have a lot of siblings.
Speaker 3: I know, did you lean in to I could have. I really couldn't.
Speaker 1: By the time, you don't have very money down between all of them.
Speaker 3: Between all of the siblings. I think they've got one hundred bucks between them, Like they're just not rolling. You've become in debt exactly. I'm like, how did I end up here?
Speaker 1: I was also reading about this couple who put their bag details on the wedding invitation, which I thought was, Oh, I like that interesting. Really Yeah, I didn't know that was the thing that we were doing now. And then they accidentally put the wrong detail and so more the money went into someone else's account. But is that really a thing putting bank details on wedding invitations?
Speaker 3: I quite like it.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen that, but I enjoy it because then you don't have to get the card, you don't have to write the message, get the cash out, and you just have to do a little message to your bank saying this is for a wedding gift, not cocaine.
Speaker 1: So is that like the wishing well? Because I thought you would give an envelope and it would be a card and it would be what cash or something like that.
Speaker 3: I asked Luka what we did, because I was like, that sounds like something we would have done put the bank details on the like, oh no, we would never have done that, And I was like, what did we do and he's like, no, no, no, we linked to a website where they could not directly transfer us because we it's just linked to your banking exactly.
Speaker 1: I wasn't aware of that because I still haven't got any invitation.
Speaker 3: To you didn't get an invite. Yeah, actually we'll send you our bank details, just so idea left out. So we had a thing I think it was called hitched, and it was like you click on it, and then I think we said like your present is enough, you know, something polite, but really.
Speaker 1: It's a link to give us.
Speaker 3: It's a link. We put the link in people transferred money. But it's like, let me get this straight.
Speaker 1: It's actually quite smart so that you don't feel so grabby as putting your actual bank details. You pay a percentagize to you or a fixed fee to a third party who just diverts people to your.
Speaker 3: So look, I think it even has a picture of a wishing well.
Speaker 2: Oh and do you get their names and how much they send you?
Speaker 3: Yes? I think you do. So then you can say thank you because you want to say thank you, right, but you also want to.
Speaker 1: Say thank you for your one hundred and forty five dollars and.
Speaker 2: Then you get the taxi. It's always like point two.
Speaker 1: GST.
Speaker 3: And people can also do a card, you know. I saw a commentator sort of saying, oh, but how about the card. It's meant to be like this lovely thing that you put in the wishing well and you open it all. It's like, you can still give me a card, but you know you're probably going to give me a gift because it's my wedding. I know you're probably going to want to give me a gift. Let's not fuck around with a bunch of cutlery that I've already got because we've already lived together with right, It's.
Speaker 1: Like, we don't need another sauce bin, but we would actually like some cash to pay for petrol or this wedding or this wedding, we'll spend it how we like. I actually think that's much easier. I don't hate that.
Speaker 3: There's another trend which I'm actually quite into, and it's the luxury wedding content creator. So think someone who like makes you an Instagram real they make you a TikTok trend like of your wedding day. I found one UK based company it's.
Speaker 1: As your gift.
Speaker 3: You mean no, no, no, This is like a trend of like what people are paying for for their wedding. So I would get a photographer, I might get a videographer, and then I get a content creator.
Speaker 1: Oh, you pay for so you have to pay for a caterer, you have to pay for a venue, and you have to pay for a content.
Speaker 3: A content creator. And there's one in the UK called Content for Brides, which is revealing in its title, and they offer two to capture your love story effortlessly and deliver it within twenty four hours with social first edits that feel like home movies.
Speaker 4: Day three is a luckually wedding event content creator in Paris. Today they were having their official rehearsal, dinner and welcome party. It was in this beautiful hotel next to the Eiffel Tower with the most amazing views. The details across all of these wedding days has been incredible, so I madea to capture every last piece, from the stationery to the ice louge. It was just amazing.
Speaker 3: That's so clever, isn't it filling a gap in the market. I'm like that I would pay for.
Speaker 1: But also brides and grooms just got an extra thing to do, right, it should be a service. If wedding photographers were clever, they would provide it as an add on.
Speaker 3: Yes, But then I reckon, it's a different thing, right, Like it's a whole different.
Speaker 1: Oh you'll see it is. I only mean that they would then outsource it, so they would say, I'm a wedding photographer, but through me, tell me what package you want? Do you want a videographer as well? Do you also want to creator? And this will be the cost of the package if you want all three? This is if you want one, and I would This is the business person in me thinking I would then be offering the suite of options.
Speaker 3: Because the problem is with your wedding video because videographers have become quite it's popular. Takes a while, and then you got to sit down and watch the whole thing. I like having it there, like I've got a video of my wedding, but.
Speaker 2: But how do you post it on Instagram?
Speaker 3: How do I post it on Instagram? And therefore did it even happen? And will I ever sit down and truly watch it? Or do we want bite sized, easily consumable moments that are vibey like I quite like it.
Speaker 2: I've also seen some beef between a videographer at a wedding and a content creator at a wedding where the content creator asked the videographer, Hey, can I shadow you behind you while you take videos?
Speaker 3: And he was like, yeah, just stay out.
Speaker 1: Of my way.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is the hard thing because a lot of videographers, and this is what everyone warns you about. They need to be close, they need to get a shot, but at the expense of everyone see your first kiss, at the expense of any intimacy.
Speaker 1: So now you've got surrounding you jostling for position like paparazzi at the can Film Festival. You've got your videographer, your photographer, and your content creator.
Speaker 2: And then your mum with the iPad. Yeah, there's always an iPad. There's always an iPad, And every wedding.
Speaker 3: It's my dad. It's my dad who's bringing it. That's the problem we're solving is.
Speaker 1: That a boomers try to film things on I.
Speaker 3: Don't now like I love an Apple product. If Apple wants to spend with us, please do. An iPad can't take a decent photo. It can't. It's pixelated. Dad will zoom in on someone on his iPad front facing camera, front facing, and it's like, okay, that's ruined. The's some crazy floropink case. It's always pink cases dropped.
Speaker 1: And guess what.
Speaker 3: You wake up the day after your wedding and you go, wow, there's gonna be some great content. And guess what's the only photo you've got is what your dad took on his back Because these wedding photos I'm coming back for three months. The videographer, he's backed up, and so you've got your dad being like, I took this one of you and it's the worst photo you've ever seen.
Speaker 1: That's so funny because the lag between the wedding and the stuff being posted in this age of instant gratification is always just too long. Like you know, when someone's getting married and then months later they'll want to post all their photos and it's like nowhere over it now.
Speaker 3: And that's why people say, please don't post any pictures before.
Speaker 2: They An aunt with a Facebook album from her pov I love them.
Speaker 3: I love them that aren't will not be told she will. It will start off with her a dress and then there's maybe a blurry picture of the bride and she's always in the aisle. How did she get in the aisle? The videographers telling her off?
Speaker 1: She know, what's kind of because I got married so long ago. My twenty fifth wedding anniversary was last week. I was thinking, thanks, I don't know, like achievement. I guess a quarter of essentially spend a long time, not a good time?
Speaker 2: Is that tin?
Speaker 1: No, it's silver silver. I don't know. I was looking back at I wasn't actually looking back, but I was thinking back. And there's a whole table of people who've died. Sorry, this got really fast that you know, Like there was an old table, like a table of kind of elderly people of that generation, like you know, grandparents and great aunts and uncles and various family friends.
Speaker 2: That you do that on purpose?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but do you know it was really unfortunate because we had terrible weather at our wedding and we had this awning and the awning collapsed, and like right.
Speaker 2: Over the old people's table, you gave them all pneumonia.
Speaker 1: I think that's why they died. Oh my god, that's not why they died.
Speaker 3: You needed a content creator with an instagal of all the old people.
Speaker 1: Well, what's so funny is when I think about all the people at our wedding, a lot of the money in our lives anymore, not that they all died, but they're just not. There was sort of transient, you know, the in the season of lifetime people in your life, and they were sort of more people who were in our lives for a reason or a season. So like maybe people we worked with at the time.
Speaker 3: How many people did you have, do you reckon?
Speaker 1: I think we had like one hundred and fifty or two hundred. I didn't like it, Like we never wanted to have a wedding like that. And also lots of partners of people that came that they.
Speaker 3: Sh broken up with. There any photos forever?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were people at our table. There's you know, a couple of people who were just they were partners of close close friends. Then anyway, it is what it is.
Speaker 3: And would you do bank details on an invitation?
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, that sounds like the best idea. You just get everyone's money and then you're done. Oh maybe I do like cards because then they can tell me how much they love me, which is quite nice.
Speaker 1: I think they can do by Okay, yeah, at your wedding, Jesse, I remember in the photos Coco wouldn't let her girlfriend be the photos. Do to remember we made a thing about like we were joking about. She had to stand at the end in case we needed to crop her out in case you didn't stick around.
Speaker 2: We do that at family Christmas or we get off photo and then we go, oh, now all the Browns a family.
Speaker 3: It's great, it's a good method.
Speaker 1: Out Loud is in a moment. EM's got a recommendation for your Wolver. It's been a week of Wolvers and the fun continues.
Speaker 5: Hi, Holly, Jesse and maya long time out Loud listener in love with Everything Ugee. In response to your podcast the other day, I was driving when you were talking about when people say, do you know who you look like? And I yelled out in my car at the top of my lungs mea Friedman looks like Antonia Kidman. And then you said it, and I felt validated for I've been following you Mia for twenty years, and from the moment I saw you, I thought, I wonder if she's related to Nicole and Antonia Friedman isn't that far from Kidman? So definitely you look exactly like Antonia Kidman. Thanks for all you do and I can't wait for the next podcast.
Speaker 1: It's Friday, so we want to help set up your weekend with our best recommendations. Jesse Stevens, what are you recommending?
Speaker 3: My favorite genre of recommendation is a recommendation Mayor Friedman will hate and you will hate this.
Speaker 1: It's not hard because I'm pretty picky. Usually Holly specializes in those because because she likes things about crime and dark.
Speaker 3: Holy British rural towns love this and em You've got good taste, so I think you might like it. To thank you so much. It's called The Day of the Jackal. It's on you hate it.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: I just started watching it last night.
Speaker 4: So good.
Speaker 3: So it is a remake of a nineteen seventy three film by the same name. I've obviously never heard of it. What is relevant is that Eddie Redmain is in it. Okay, Eddie Redmain is really hot and important. He's playing to you actually think that, Yes, Lucid, I had a big argu about it. No, and Luke, yeah maybe not in that Carry Potters No, oh, I see Lames. I fell in love with him yeah, Oh my goodness, who was he? He's a beautiful scene. He was a beautiful Frenchman crow and Hugh Jackman in there. Yeah, and Eddie Redmain get it together. Oh my goodness. Okay, it's a British thriller and it's also got Lashana Lynch in it. And it's perfect to watch with your partner or your parents. If you've got other people different age groups in the house, you need something to kind of that. You'll all enjoy.
Speaker 1: Any education, some sex, but not where you need to.
Speaker 3: Educate it more guns. So Red Main, whose character is a jackal. He's an assassin and in the first episode you see him carry out a near impossible assassination of a political figure and from there he's been pursued by m I six.
Speaker 1: Police are looking for him.
Speaker 6: We are reaching out to all international partners for assistance.
Speaker 1: He's an ex exceptional assassin. He will kill again.
Speaker 7: Let's stop it.
Speaker 1: There's no record of it anywhere. As a ghost.
Speaker 3: I know I can find him.
Speaker 1: I've heard good things about you, Bianca, don't let me down.
Speaker 3: So it's a bit line of Judy Bit James Bond bitborn identity. It's so good and where I'm up to You're like this. There's an Elon Musk like character and he's basically exactly there's a hit on him, Eddie Redmain, the Jackal. His job is to assassinate essentially one of the most famous rich people in the entire world. And it's about why and you know, what's going to unfold, And it's all about exposing parts of politics and government and policing and all like and the cat and mouse chase, yeah, and the things I didn't know about.
Speaker 1: Do you get anxiety? No?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean diagnosed kind of, but not for that stuff.
Speaker 1: Do you think I was going to ask might seem an unrelated question, but I was going to ask because Jesse, I know you do. I've that I don't like watching things that have a lot of suspense. Yeah, I find they're unpleasant for me, Like even the first season of Bad Sisters, which I went back and tried to watch again because everyone's raving about the second season. I don't like the feeling of suspense. See I'm enjoyable.
Speaker 3: I interpret it as anticipation, and I spend my day like I've spent my day thinking about what's going to happen next. In this show. What I will say is that I'm very sensitive at the moment to any violence and even like death. I kind of bristle, and there's a lot of that. There's a lot of that in this But the suspense and the story is trumping at all for me.
Speaker 2: But you do watch suspense like the Perfect Couple that's kind of like spa.
Speaker 1: No, that's like a bit of a mystery, but it's not like suspenseful. It's not like what's going to happen. It's like more curiosity. So the White Lotus and all those things where it starts with the body and then it's like a who done it? That's different.
Speaker 3: The Age basically called this the show of the year and they gave five stars.
Speaker 1: So I'm not alone.
Speaker 3: It is. It is Prestige television, It is on Binge and what have you got? So?
Speaker 2: I didn't realize how much I complained about my vagina on the show until I got an email. Well, Mia, you actually got an email. Someone emailed Mia saying that they were vagina, saying that they were concerned for my vagina, and she kindly passed on to me. We have quite an interesting relationship, don't we.
Speaker 1: You and I yeah, yeah, we really do. It's not like a normal workplace is at this different.
Speaker 2: So it was a beautiful email. It was from these two sisters who have started a business together called Serenity p H. And one of them is a doctor and they help women with their vaginal health. And they were quite concerned for me, which is fair.
Speaker 1: Well, I must have missed the episode where You're Vagina.
Speaker 2: We talked about winter vagina and how to combat winter vagina, and I talked about how I got sent this oil, and I wasn't really vibing what.
Speaker 1: Is winter vagina.
Speaker 2: It was about Drina's like your vagina goes drying.
Speaker 1: That's it, perimenopause.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of things.
Speaker 2: It's a vaginismus thing, it's a pcos thing. So I was talking about that, and I was talking about how like these skincare companies send me like these really expensive products that like just smell really nice and they're mental help, but they're like kind of oily and every time.
Speaker 3: I sit down, I feel like I'm on a slide of the seat.
Speaker 2: So these two beautiful sisters sent me their product, which is called the Vulvercare v Bar, and it's fifty five dollars from their website.
Speaker 3: It is so good and what does it help? Like, what's the problem it helps with?
Speaker 2: So it helps with the dryness of my vagina. So because I have vagin, this mistress I have talked about in the past, we can link that episode in the show notes. But my vagina is essentially sorry for my descriptive term, it's safe space, dry, red, and inflexible.
Speaker 1: So it's a bit angry.
Speaker 2: It's a bit angry, and it needs to be moist and pink.
Speaker 1: How's it different to like lubricant because.
Speaker 2: With vagin this miss some lubes actually sting, so it could help temporarily, but then when you want to be intimate with a partner or like use a tampon, it just hurts a lot.
Speaker 3: And a lot of products have like, as you say, fragrances or chemicals or whatever. And if you've got sensitive skin, it's the last thing.
Speaker 1: This is interesting because the other thing that happens during perimenopause and menopause is that the skin around in your vagina thins out, so it's prone to little micro tears.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Apparently I was reading this week when we did our other segment about volvers, the like shape and size and all of that of your volver changes throughout the month, like even on your cycle, Yeah, on your side, and like you know, after perimenopause and stuff. But it's so affected by hormones. Yeah, you kind of don't know what to do about it.
Speaker 2: It's so weird. But this bomb helps everything. It's even recommended for women with perimenopause.
Speaker 1: That's great because at one point I found myself using pseudo cream, that old thing which is for nappy rash.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, get the v bomb.
Speaker 1: Okay, that was a great wreco. You're expected. My Turn is a fantastic episode of mid that I was listening to with two of my best friends, Holly Wayne Wright interviewing Bruna Papinrea. Now, Bruna is one of my oldest friends and an amazing producer, Big Little Lie the dry speaking of vaginas, which was not about her vagina or in deed mind strife of course a million things. And the episode is called Ambition Says Yes and Body Says Nup. And it was such a great title because Bruna in many ways is in the one of the high points of her career. She's an incredibly successful producer. She's getting so many things done. She's got all these projects on the go, but she lives with a chronic illness and it's an invisible chronic illness and it is called loopus and it is an autoimmune disease, and she wakes up in pain every single day. And she talks about how this intersection between the highest points in her life and when she wants to do all these things and her body kind of won't let her.
Speaker 6: And I think one of the biggest ones is realizing that just at the point you kind of feel like you you know, are just getting started, you are dealing with not me so much in this moment, but like I have so many friends dealing with aging parents, parents who are dying. I'm also dealing with, you know, a pretty extreme health condition, and I'm dealing with two eleven year olds and also running a business. So yes, because I'm a very high functioning person with lupus. And every time I meet another high functioning person or meet them, even when I hear about one, you know, Selena Gomez, you know, the one of the Willing Sisters, you know, it gives me, It just kind of makes me feel good because I'm like, well, they can do it. So, yeah, sometimes I will just crash, and just because if I'm not looking after myself, which is crucial and as women, I think we do often. I think there's some crazy stat that women go to the doctor and look after themselves so much less after they have children. We just prioritize things in a different way.
Speaker 1: She also talks about Holly and Bruno both have husbands who have really lent in to family life because they both had kids later in life and their husband's or Holly's partner has leaned in because you know, Bruna has to travel. I think she's been to Europe eight times this year for work, and the States maybe seven times, and her husband and Brent often. Because Holly comes down to Sydney for work a lot and travels, Brent does the same. There It's just a really interesting conversation between two really interesting women. I loved it.
Speaker 2: I loved that fire.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited to Yeah, have a listen. I just love it. Now in a moment, there's some more of the show coming up. I'm driving and so probably in the script I was meant to prepare a little line this is why I don't get to drive very often, But we'll be back after a break to talk more.
Speaker 3: Every Tuesday and Thursday, we drop new segments of MUMMYA out Loud just for MUMMYA subscribers, follow the link in the show notes to get your daily dose of out Loud and a big thank you to all our current subscribers.
Speaker 2: It is time for best and Worse. This is a part of the show where we talk a little bit more about our personal lives. Because my recommendation wasn't personal enough clearly, Jesse, what is your worst of the week?
Speaker 3: My worst? Boring but true. Teething baby And yesterday things got so bad with Luna in her teeth. She grumbled and she cried all day and it got so bad. I had to call Lucra and say, you have to come home, like I can't.
Speaker 1: Doesn't hurt them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so she's got most of her teeth. I was like, are there any left to come down? But I think there's the big ones are coming down, and she's just like she won't sleep, she won't eat, she can't be distracted like she was so distressed, and it was I think from seven thirty to about two pm she just cried the entire time because of her teeth, and we were doing all the things that you're meant to, but it was so so full on. And then over the weekend, like I was meant to go and visit my pop and there are a bunch of things I want to do and I just went, I just can't do it with her, Like she's just on the weekend. Yeah, not her best self. And you know what, Like I'm awful when I'm in pain too, but that's because I can winge about it, and this is her and it's so.
Speaker 2: Annoying because then they lose them anyway, So what's the point.
Speaker 3: What's the point?
Speaker 1: Is the point?
Speaker 3: Am? Like, just don't get teeth till you're fine? Yeah, I guess it's to just nare on them to eat stuff. Yeah, my best is I had my family Christmas over the weekend on early mom's side, yep. So what we do is in order to get there's like fifty of us on mom's side, and in order to do that, we do it like a month early because everyone goes away and school holidays and blah blah blah, and we're like, let's just do it super super early. And the kids love it because they like get presents early. It was really special because it was the first Christmas. Like, Luna was very toddler that day. She was not her best self. But to watch her like properly open a present for the first time, like actually get really excited was really special. And meet all her cousins properly, it was lovely. I think she's developed this habit of every time she sees someone she doesn't really know, she yells away and swats them like a fly. Oh I didn't teach her that, I think for all of us. The grandmother told her that to try me. Yea, I swear she goes to your house and she comes back.
Speaker 1: With these terrible habits. Well, it's funny because I have started implementing. I tried a new thing for the first time this week, which is when I'm invited to do something that I don't want to do, you say away and swoop them. I literally reply, oh no, I'd hate that. Okay, I tried it this week for the first time.
Speaker 3: How did that go?
Speaker 1: Went quite well? Quite well. I felt really liberated because it's not like, oh I'm sorry, I'm just like, oh no, I'd hate that, because I would hate that. Right I'd been invited to do this social thing and go to the sea the tennis and I'm not interested in tennis, and blah blah. I would love that, well exactly, and you would love that, but I would not love that. So I was just like, oh no, i'd hate that.
Speaker 3: Is that not offensive to the person? If I extended you and invite and I said, Maya, would you like to come to my netball game to watch me play netball?
Speaker 1: And you said, oh no, I'd hate that.
Speaker 3: I would be so offended.
Speaker 2: I think it's important in the time. I don't think you can say that like on an email.
Speaker 1: Well I did. I said it in a text and I said, oh no, I hate that. I'd hate that, And then I said to say lol.
Speaker 3: It was to my cousin, okay, but I.
Speaker 1: Said to him just in case it wasn't clear, and he thought I was being santastic. Seriously, I would actually hate that. Sh So I just had to hammer at home. Anyway, I highly recommend that. Maybe that should have been my recommendation radical candor.
Speaker 3: Mayo, what's your worst?
Speaker 1: My worst is also child related. I had forgotten since in the time that I spent between having little kids as a mother and now having little kids as a grandmother, how much I hate playgrounds?
Speaker 3: Talk to me because I'm a pleased I actually love a playground.
Speaker 1: Do I hate playgrounds? I have a friend who used to call it death by park because when your kids are little, there's only so much you can do. And certainly I've forgotten that you can't stay home all the time, because I do like to stay home, but they get bored. You have to go out. You have to have outings. You don't want to spend money necessarily, they don't necessarily be in the pram. Parks are free, Parks are outdoors. Parks are great, except I hate them. Although why I just.
Speaker 2: Had to try telling Luna I would hate doing that.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I'd hate that where she's like, we let's go to the park.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I hate that because she's developed like a parkage.
Speaker 1: Lets look at my phone in.
Speaker 3: Come on at my phone.
Speaker 1: You sit there while I look at my phone. That will be so fun, and.
Speaker 3: Will sit quietly alone. Here here's an iPad, grandma maya, No, no.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing. I'm under so much pressure because we can't have any screen distractions. So off I am to the playground. Right And also I'll do anything for her. The good news, there've been two new developments since I've been spending time in playgrounds. Banana bread is still a feature.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 1: Yes, still with the classic playground, the classic snack of playgrounds. Playground have gotten more interesting, Like they've gotten much safer. So there's like the playgrounds near my house, it's more boring. Well, no, they've done a big renovation of it and now it's all accessible. So there's like wheelchair swings that you can lie in for kids who are maybe in chairs or who can't sit up on their own. And there's a lot more shade, and there's like different levels of slippery dip, and.
Speaker 3: There's less screws poking up through the ground.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like everything's like quite safe and quite interesting. But the best development since I was lasting playgrounds is air pods. Yeah, so I can pop my air pods in. I can listen to a podcast while still being very present and making sure she doesn't go backwards down the slippery dip.
Speaker 3: What I've noticed is that the fathers bring a speaker. The father's allowspeaker, a loudspeaker. They bring like a little handheld speaker and they set it up and they play their music in the part like watch Elton John in the past one eleven am.
Speaker 1: Why wouldn't they just put an AirPods because.
Speaker 3: The everyone wants to listen to their music now, everyone wants.
Speaker 1: That's what AirPods are for. That's what headphones.
Speaker 3: No, they're doing community service for all of us.
Speaker 1: Everyone. But what I have noticed, because lest anyone cancel me or shame me, I am still very attentive Jesse. I take one out so I can always hear her. But also I'm not It's like she's one and a half. It's not like I cannot look at her, but I'm watching her all the time. But that's just not very interesting. No, No, it's actually anyway, what are the rules.
Speaker 2: Of the playground? Because you know, I like a swing. I think we all as adults like sometimes swinging.
Speaker 3: But if it's my turn, okay, that's actually I'm learning about the politics because I think you've got to keep an eye out. I did go the other day, and I swear that kid was on the swing for twenty five minutes and treadmills at the gym. My child is clearly hovering. I think it's time to get off the swing and Luna. She has a book about parks, and so when she first went to the park, it was like she'd gone to Paris. Like you know how you read about Paris and then you're like, I'm here. That was Luna with a slide's know of you from my books. You're a real thing. You're a real thing. Holy shit. Yeah, it's so funny. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So anyway, that's parks. Lots of chats in parks, a lot more dads in parks than there were ten twenty years ago. I've noticed playing the music with their speakers. My best is also child related. I bought Luna a feminist toy kitchen.
Speaker 3: Speak to me of how it's not just branding that acted that last minute. They just wrote feminist in front of toy kitchen, just her.
Speaker 1: I just threw in the word feminist to make myself feel better about finding her gender enormative toys.
Speaker 2: She's full enough to lion.
Speaker 1: So I bought. And one of the little known things about me is how much I like assembling things. So this kitchen, it got it in the Black Friday sales and it's got like all little foods. It's got so much stuff. I think it's got running water. I haven't worked out how to make that happen yet, but I had just the best time assembling it. Luna couldn't not have been less interested. She was like, I don't care about that kitchen. I'm not interested. She thought it was your toy, and she to go through her clothes because that's what she likes to do with Nana and put Nana's bracelets on her feet.
Speaker 2: Maybe she's just not a very feminist and she didn't want.
Speaker 1: We had a good old feminist time, me building the kitchen and her playing with clothes and jewels.
Speaker 3: I'd like to know that wear in the genetic line between you and I made you think she wanted to spend time in the kitchen.
Speaker 1: That's the point. And because she's do you know why? Because she never sees anyone in the kitchen.
Speaker 3: It's like, what what a kitchen's for?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like the playground, the cycle. I look at her, you're so.
Speaker 3: And what is your worst? Okay? So my worst?
Speaker 2: My biggest fear and I can say this because Holly's not here, but my biggest fear is accidentally marrying into an outdoorsy family. Yep, yep, I am terrified at them I grew up thinking holidays were cocktails by the pool, like seafood at the beach, just having big naps. And then I found out that some families go on bike rides.
Speaker 3: They're like doing a walk.
Speaker 1: So he Foster Blake and Hamish do out with their kids. And he was a bike rider and she wasn't, but she's become one, and now they go on family bike riding holidays, which.
Speaker 3: Actually feel envious looking at the photos, and then I think, but your bum gets sorer on a bike.
Speaker 1: I like the photos, but I wouldn't like to have to actually do the riding up the hills.
Speaker 2: And they haven't considered the future partners of their children, so that's where it all goes wrong.
Speaker 1: But don't you think that whatever your parents make you do as a kid, it's the opposite of what you want to do when you get to be an adult. Like my parents made me do road trips, which I freaking hate and I will never go in a car longer than about ten kilometers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then when you go back home for Christmas and you want to impress their parents, and they're like, impress me by.
Speaker 1: Walking, oh, with someone else's p Anyway, this.
Speaker 2: Is like beyond the thing anyway, So I had to go on a hike. I was overseas, which was really nice, very first of all, problem part of the itinerary was like going on a.
Speaker 3: High how long is that with a guy?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, no no, just with like a group of people, and just made me think about what my potential future could be.
Speaker 3: Like it was very deep.
Speaker 2: So we went on a hike in a big tour group. Like it was a seven k hike, which I was like, this is fine. I walk seven k's every day.
Speaker 1: That's not far.
Speaker 2: A seven k walk is different to a seven k hike.
Speaker 1: Okay, was it up? It was up? Yeah, and then it was down and.
Speaker 2: Then it goes down, but then it goes back up again.
Speaker 1: But also sometimes down is harder. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for your knees, things were locking. I thank god I had my v balm for my chafe.
Speaker 3: Did you have your or your hiking gear on?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: You know, because the itinerary said I'm walking to a tree top view for seven ks, I'm like, I can do a seven k walk.
Speaker 1: Did you not get the point where it was a view? It's probably somewhere high.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought there would be a lift and there wasn't a lift in the forest. It was also in Singapore, so it was like thirty five degree heat and raining.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, No, it was insane. But now it's like I've rebranded, like you're a hiking girl. I think so.
Speaker 2: I mean, I hate it and never do it again, but I've done it once, so I feel like that counts.
Speaker 1: Did you enjoy it?
Speaker 3: No, okay, I hated it. Did you get a photo?
Speaker 2: I did get a lot of photos. I's a lot of sweaty photos. It look like I've done something. I love it, but yeah, that was my worst. I don't think hykes should be a thing. I think they should put on holiday.
Speaker 1: It's very unpopular opinion to not love nature, Like it's kind of like the default that everyone's meant to love nature. I just think it's a bit overrated.
Speaker 2: My best, though, is part of the whole hike situation. Big picture was I did get to go to Singapore for a week, which was so much fun, so with my first international holiday, and I was just kind of like aware of the biggest differences. But like, she's never been overseas before before COVID, so my last overseas trip was in India twenty twenty, just before COVID happened, and then I never went overseas again. I think I was a bit scared and I didn't really understand. And everyone's losing their luggage. I was like, I can't deal with that.
Speaker 3: It was horrible.
Speaker 2: So I found out that like people in airport, it's such like a much better experience, like everyone seen so much nicer, a bit more calm, like respecting each other spaces.
Speaker 3: That all goes to shit when you.
Speaker 2: Get on the plane. No one knows how to act on a plane.
Speaker 3: It is no I think we've become worse after COVID as well on place. It's bad.
Speaker 1: The funny thing was traveling just after COVID, when flights were just opening up again and everyone had forgotten how to travel, Like the lines were so long because it's like, oh, what do I got to take out in my bag again? What hang on? I've oh, I've got my phone in my pocket, like everyone just forgot Can.
Speaker 3: I ask what you saw in Singapore? Like what were the highlights?
Speaker 2: Okay, the food was amazing. So I'm so sorry for anyone who has allergies or dietares because this part will suck. But the group that I went to had no dietares, which apparently was the first for the PR person and she was like, I'm just gonna go crazy and the amount of food we ate was insane.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love it.
Speaker 2: Like Singapore is such an underrated holiday destination. I feel like it's a place that you just stop over before you go to your holiday. Everyone needs a holiday and I don't.
Speaker 1: Think about like hiking and stuff in Singapore.
Speaker 3: It's stunning, like them so close to Malaysia. We did the same. We stopped once, but we did a trip and we did the night zoo oh jale No I didn't get to do the nights and Universal Studios. Yeah, so good, so much.
Speaker 2: Then everything's within like thirty minutes because it's so small and they have so much to do so clean. Yeah, go to Singapore.
Speaker 3: That was my best.
Speaker 1: That's all we have time for today. A big thank you to all of you the out louders for listening to today's show. We'll be back in your ears next week and read us out.
Speaker 2: A massive thank you to our out Loud team, our Tea Lady and group ep Root. Devine had a big wedding for her first marriage and eloped for her second she turn out of ten would recommend.
Speaker 1: She's been here for three months now. Who Yes, we've been saying that she came in for an interview about something completely unrelated to this show, and she's never been allowed to leave. We've blocked the exits.
Speaker 2: Concerning executive producer Emiline Gozillas is in need of a life best because she is drowning in wedding season and em.
Speaker 1: Got a promotion this week. She's now the sam producer.
Speaker 2: Look at her.
Speaker 1: God, she looks a lot like Ariana Grande.
Speaker 2: Because she's got a high pony.
Speaker 1: Yes, I can wing Darlina all right.
Speaker 2: Our audio producer is Leah Porge's. She refuses to pay the exorbitan wedding prices and will one day elope like Ruth. And our video producer is Josh Green. He thinks weddings are ridiculous, hence why he ran off to the mountains to a lope. We have an eloping team.
Speaker 1: We do he elopes just a week and a half ago.
Speaker 3: I think is it at all a coincidence that our team, who do all of the hard work that sit on the other side of the MIC's eloped and you and I.
Speaker 1: Put it fast exchange.
Speaker 3: Development out loud as we know you're not ready to say goodbye, so we thought we'd leave you with a little bit of a conversation we had on a subscriber episode about Christmas dilemmas.
Speaker 7: These days, it feels like maybe it's social media and all those things that Christmas present should be as high as the tree, and everybody's getting design of this, and iPad that and Apple watch this, and it's thousands.
Speaker 3: Of dollars and who's got that?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: I also reckon I actually agree with your friend who gets offended that if there is a limit on how much you spend, I think we've all just got to agree to stick to the limit. Bye bye Ba.
Speaker 1: Shout out to any Mum and Maya subscribers listening. If you love the show and want to support us as well, subscribing to Mom and Mia is the very best way to do so. There is a link in the episode description.