Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast. Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 2: And I think it boils down to the fact that I don't believe I deserve enjoyment. So if this became quite dark.
Speaker 3: Unexpectedly, Okay, this is like a therapy session. Okay, Hello, and welcome to Mamma Mia out loud what women are actually talking about On Wednesday, the sixteenth of April.
Speaker 1: I'm Holly Wainwright, and I'm m Vernon filling in for me today and I'm Clare Stephen.
Speaker 3: And on your special Big Bumper show today pre Long weekend. Just wanted some eggs and cheese one hundred bucks? You're kidding me? Yes, Welcome to poetry for our troubled times. The first disc track of the Australian election has dropped. And oh my also planted a tomato once or picked up a crochet hook for a hot second. And now you live in a greenhouse with hand knitted basket holders. Welcome to big millennial hobby energy. And why is your social media feed full of people explaining why you might be paying tens of thousands of dollars for a logo on a bag, Welcome to Chinese factory, TikTok but first and vernon one two three sides.
Speaker 1: In case you missed it, the Blue Origin all female space flight have officially launched into space and landed back on Earth within the same timeframe as on I launch into the bathroom. If I've accidentally had lactosts.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the crew which we have talked about before, has consisted of Lauren Sanchez, who is Jeff Bezos's fiance whose ship plane rocket they went into, Gail King, Aisha Brown, Amanda Newen, and filmmaker Carrie Anne Flynn, and Katy Perry. So during the eleven minute flight, and I tried to figure out exactly what happened in these eleven minutes. During the flight, Katy Perry released the set list of her upcoming tour.
Speaker 3: She shows an Opportunity Sister.
Speaker 1: It was like a little butterfly and she had all the song names, but the camera is a bit blurry because they're in space and none of us could read it.
Speaker 2: So I don't know at the idea of I love that she's like literally in space, the literal globe the Earth is behind her. And she's staring at her own face because she's filming like selfie mode. I'm like, oh, that just sums up humanity.
Speaker 1: But anyway, she also sang what a wonderful world, which would have taken up two point thirty seconds of their whole eleven minute trip, and they did.
Speaker 3: An abridged version. You know how awkward it is when someone sings it you and they have to look in there, and all the other women would have had to be there, we want to look at the moon.
Speaker 1: And after that they would have had nine minutes of silence because when they landed. We also had some on the ground interviews, which I assumed would either be like NASA scientists or family members, but we got the next best thing. We got Chris Jenna and Chloe Kardashian. Chloe said, whatever you dream of is in our reach, especially in today's day and age. Big wish for the stars and one day you could maybe be amongst them.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure I had that quote like on my bedroom wall when I was the Lefting years whole.
Speaker 3: I think they were all looking for like big quotes to say. They were like, oh, that's we need to google this to puffer fish can I have a quick puffer fish. You know, I said on the show last week, I would be on this in a hot minute if they have invited me, I would love to go to space. I can't imagine how meaningful it was outfits. It's the outfit.
Speaker 2: What about them is making you so upset?
Speaker 3: So do you know what people usually wear when they go into space, like male or female? Whatever? They wear overalls, like quite baggy overalls. They've got to be comfy up there. Shit happens even in eleven minutes. You don't know.
Speaker 1: I've been to space cowboy parties. I know no I know what they wear. But for this all female flight, Laurence Sanchez, who is Jeff bezos fiance, and she is a pilot, and she's a very smart woman and very accomplished woman, helped to design the space suits and they had to be sexy and slimming, Like sexy and slimming were literally the words used. All I could think of when I was watching these accomplished women climb into this thing, is if I'd have been invited on this flight and then I saw that outfit, I would have been like, well, there goes my training. All I'm doing for the next five weeks is avoiding carbs.
Speaker 3: I mean like there.
Speaker 2: Were belts and the pants.
Speaker 3: And the zip was always a bit down. It's all lakeup and hair out. If there isn't a time to put your hair in a bun, is it not when you're about to go into zero gravity?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not.
Speaker 3: Just this is not empowering, friends, I know I sounded a little like me, this is not empowering to have to be sexy when you're in space.
Speaker 2: I feel like this was just a Simpsons episode. The rocket looked like a dick for one in the air, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, that's just a dick, and the top part comes off.
Speaker 2: And then you've got these women who were yelling platitudes like take up space, take up space.
Speaker 3: Face.
Speaker 2: Oh no, Holly, I got it. That wasn't me issue.
Speaker 3: Katy Perry's like, write that down.
Speaker 2: Down, write that down. She'll be writing her space album any day now. And then you've got the Kardashians on Earth. You've got them kissing the ground when they got back down. It's like you were gone for eleven minutes. It's not enough time to have missed the ground, but it.
Speaker 3: Would have been scary. Gail King was absolutely crapping herself. You could see it. Don't got to survive, babe.
Speaker 2: You didn't have to go. You didn't have to go if you were scared. But it's also Blue Origin as saying one hundred and fifty thousand dollars deposit is required to reserve a seat, and astronauts are like, we don't want to be the drama, but when we go to space, it's actually about science and knowledge and the interests of humanity. It's not about like say Instagram or like Katy Perry launching her set list.
Speaker 3: Like this isn't a bad day that we have to remember that what this is is an ad for Blue Origin because Bezos and must have been an race about this for a long time. They want to be taking us into space for our holidays in ten years.
Speaker 2: Poor Elon, he's going to be like, oh, I knew I had too much on my plate. There are women in the.
Speaker 3: World who are still talking to fill a rockets. You need to wait. It is supposed to be and the money was spinning on groceries. I just want to buy some eggs and cheese one hundred bucks. You can't in mind it costume.
Speaker 2: Everyone shut up because the liberal party have released a disc track and it's the greatest moment of the campaign so far. I have absolutely no notes. His perfection. Her Liberal Party dropped Leaving Labor on Monday, a one minute rap song about how Albow needs to leave because of his failed response to the cost of living crisis. So it's against this heavy beat as you've heard, and like weirring sirens, like police vibes. They call out the prices of groceries, rent, and electricity. My favorite line is I just want to buy some eggs and cheese one hundred bucks. Are you're kidding me? True? Hard It's it's my favorite line because it doesn't cost you one hundred bucks, and also that issue is so complex you can't really just flame Alva. But anyway, again, no notes, it's perfection. I believe election messages and just general discourse should only be delivered via disc track, as should the budget. I think that is now how pologics should go should be now. Both parties have been trying to appeal to younger voters because millennial and jen Z voters outnumber their older counterparts at the polls. For this election, the election literally hangs on them. So this is not the first attempt to appeal to the young'ins. The Labor Party have been making means out of Chapel Rohan's Call Her Daddy interview with text like me thinking about how much stronger Medicare will be under Labor. They also have carousels of what different Sex and the City characters would say about Medicare. But there is something so bizarre about the moment where you have a disc track, And for me it's the fact that Holly, you would know this when you write a book. There's a note they give you that's NQR, not quite right. It's a great note because sometimes things are just NQR. The Liberal Party releasing this space slightly you are you are. That's the only note that that's what it is here. It's NQR and it's QR because it's like, no, no, no, no, no no. Do you understand that, Like the vibe isn't Drake at the moment, the vibe is quite anti Drake. One of the comments on sound cloud was imagine taking album art inspo from the dude that got called a pedo at the super Bowl, and that's what it is. It's like all the rappers not quite right, not quite right, Holly, what are your thoughts?
Speaker 4: Like you?
Speaker 3: I adored it, completely adored it. It inspired me. I want to write a disc track about the lack of cottage cheese at the supermar It will be about how teenage boys have ruined my pairing mount and pause a life. But this is actually very smart, to be honest, Like, whatever you think about the track, this campaign has been so boring so far, and that's a good thing. Like I think that we can all look at what's been going on in America with politics and say it's probably good for politics to be really boring. But we also know that this is an attention economy. We talked about this heaps, So you just want people to be talking about you, and it hasn't been going the Liberal Party's way broadly speaking until now, well until now, because this is going to change everything. But like, you need something that will grab attention and headlines, and this is that. I've been looking at all the memes on the Labor Party and the Liberal parties TikTok and Instagram, and some of them are cringey, but some of them are quite funny. You know, they've employed a whole load of young people in inverted commas and said, will let you do what you want. In fact, when Dutton was first asked about this this track, he hadn't heard it, didn't know anything about it. He just said, I'm sure the gurus have put together a cracking ad. I think when he says guruz, he means to nineteen year old who are currently running.
Speaker 2: I said, could do whatever they wanted.
Speaker 3: And to be fair, Albo said exactly the same thing when he got stick for There was a Sabrina Carpenter meme where she famously opened her costume and it was a Medicare card. And again he was asked about that flat out of a press conference and he was like, I have no idea what you're talking about. So those men are playing their roles as the clueless boomers very very well. The other reason why it's clever is because it is all about the eggs and cheese. That is what the electric cares about. Every single poll is saying cost of living, cost of living, including the one that Mamma mer have done. So we're just at Mamamea just publishing the results of our big politics pole and we got responses from more than a thousand women from all over the country, in different age groups, in different demographics, and cost of living. Unsurprising sixty eight percent. That's what they care about, followed by health very strongly, which is also the reason why Medicare Medicare, Medicare is everywhere you look. Climate change action is high, Mamma mea audience of forty four percent, affordability, and domestic and family violence actions. So those are the things the electric cares about. So if you're gonna write a disk track, then at least they picked the right topic. M you're the target market, what does it do for you? I'm not convinced.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, loved the beat, thought that was great and might listen to it on my run. I'm just confused on who their actual target demo is, and I have a feeling they're wasting a lot of time trying to appeal to the broader gen z. I recently saw a Instagram reel that was posted by ABC pert. They sent a few of their journalists to a massive music festival in Wa Hyperfess, and they took these laminated photos of Anthony Albanesi, Peter Dundin and a band, and they just asked these young kids and a lot of them were young kids. It's an all ages festivals. Some of them might have been under age nolse. Do you know who these men are? A lot of them did it, A lot of them had no idea who they were. And it's these because like the disk track in general is funny, but like the actual words like eggs and cheese, gen z A lot of them are still living at home.
Speaker 3: Why would I care about buying eggs and cheese. That's not my problem. A lot of that don't care.
Speaker 1: Even the memes like Chapel Rowan, Sex and the City, those are for millennial women.
Speaker 3: They're not for like young gen zs.
Speaker 1: And if you look at those tiktoks on the lay party, they're not going off. Oh no, like you have to find them and see them. I feel like they have these gen zs working for them doing the stuff, but then there's like this gen X who's like, don't do that, change that, do this, do that, And then it goes out and then I'm like, who is this for?
Speaker 2: And it probably has to go through so many political filters in order to be authorized, Like this was at the end of the authorized bright blah blah blah blah that it loses all authenticity.
Speaker 3: But the embarrassment of it works, right. We talked about this a while ago with Delulu, like we all cringe so hard when Albo said de Lulu in Parliament, but that went around the world. But this probably will too.
Speaker 2: I do think though, a big thing the Liberal Party has been talking about this election is that they don't want to fall into the same bucket as make America Great Again, all the Donald Trump stuff. It's quite clear that they have been trying not to be put in the same bucket. But this, interestingly was very reminiscent of something that happened in the US. So American conservative commentator and podcaster Ben Shapiro released a rap track in the early days of the twenty twenty four US presidential campaign, and it was this Canadian rapper and it was a song called Facts, which reached number sixteen in the charts. And a labor strategist to actually say it in response to this, for a party that doesn't want to be associated with American style politics, they're certainly going about it in the wrong way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But they don't want to be associated with Democrats style politics either, because they had Beyonce and Taylor swift. Yeah. True. To be fair, the TikTok generation are too smart for this. They can solve a true crime mystery in thirty eight seconds. They can ruin the White Lotus finale. They can figure out pretty quickly that Albow isn't setting the price of acs, and geez, we need to find a solution. We need to switch up the people.
Speaker 2: In the power.
Speaker 3: I just want to put food on the table, Okay, so I'm willing to do it. I can bring them in a moment.
Speaker 1: Millennial hobby energy, are you a victim? And Helen Peterson wrote a post for her Substack on millennial hobby energy and anytime a writer or TikToker talks about hobbies, I'm immediately in because I'm not a hobby person, but I've always wanted to be, and I've tried so so hard, and finally it was this newsletter that made me realize exactly why it's never worked out for me. She says, Millennial hobby energy is running couch to five K and then suddenly you're making plans for two marathons a year. It's falling down a quilting rabbit hole on TikTok and waking up with eight hundred dollars worth of fabric. It's big and ambitious, it's swallowing, it's barely keeping the impulse to optimize and monetize at Bay Claire Demens.
Speaker 2: I am like you. I'm not a hobby person. I don't have a hobby.
Speaker 3: You do have a hobby.
Speaker 2: What's my hobby?
Speaker 1: Okay, before you started this job, you wrote as a hobby, and then you turned it into a career, and then you've gone back to writing and now you're writing a book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay. This is the issue, and it goes to exactly what Anne Helen Peterson is saying, that a hobby has to become a job and an income stream when you're a millennial. And I think that is why I don't have hobbies, because I've turned my hobby into a job, which takes away the joy of it being a hobby. Well, not necessarily, it takes away some of it, and it adds extra pressure to it, which Anne Helen Peterson says in her column that we know this. There is so much research about what happens when you turn your passion into something you're doing for work. But I think I'm also such an all or nothing person that I look at doing something like something created, and I'm like, I'm gonna be shit at it. I'm gonna be really bad, and then I'm gonna want to be good at it, and then I'm gonna have to try really really, really hard and I don't have time. But I reckon what she is getting at. I think this big millennial hobby energy is female. The problem is female. I think men are good at having hobbies because their standards for themselves are not as high. So my partner can play basketball and he's in D League and he is appalling and he's fine with that. I can't.
Speaker 3: So he doesn't want to get better.
Speaker 2: Ah like maybe, but he's also fine being where he is. He watched the whole Masters. He sat and watched the Masters, and golf is a hobby for him and he knows he won't be professional, and he strives to get a little bit better, but it's just a hobby. I think my socialization as a perfectionist woman who never feels good enough, and I think it boils down to the fact that I don't believe enjoyment. So this became quite dark unexpectedly.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is like a therapy session because, like you both, I have never had a hobby in my life until the past two years. You'll know what it is. I like gardening, right, But I have never ever had a hobby. That's why it's so amazing that I now have one, right, And I cannot tell you enough how good it has been for my mental health. But I could never have had a hobby until this particular stage of my life, when I was like really really in the trenches of parenting little kids and working full on job. Every minute of every day is taken up. I didn't have any time to do that, and it's been a goal to work towards to try and carve out little portions of time to do something that wasn't highly productive. So a, you mustn't beat yourself up, particularly Euclaire, and we'll get to you in a minute. You can beat yourself for not having a hobby, as if that's another thing you've got to put on. You're like, my perfect life would include this list, because that negates the whole point, right. But the reason it has been so good for my mental health is because and we've talked about this before, but it gives me a level of rest because I'm not a lie down and rest kind of person. But it is rest. It's active rest, it's creative rest. It's really good for you to have that kind of stuff. I'm always trying to meditate, always bring the outlouders about that. And then I suddenly realized, Oh, gardening is meditation. I was walking past the river near where I live the other day and there are all these middle aged men standing there with their fishing rods. They don't look like meditators, those guys, but I realized, every one of those guys is meditating right now.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 3: They are just standing there with their sticks, like their little sticks out in the river, doing nothing, like just having a moment. I think it's the giving yourself permission to do something that isn't necessarily productive that makes a hobby so wonderful. What you have to do is you have to guard against. And this is what I find because although I'm not a millennial amagen X, as soon as you get into something and you learn more about it, it's limitless where you want to take it. Right, So I'm growing things, But then you start talking to people and the like, but are you using purely organic material? And you know, are you planting this, and you're planting that, and what about multi cropping and what about companion planting? And it could become your whole life really quickly, and you have to fight that urge and go, no, this is my escape. If I turn it into the thing I'm trying to escape from, it's no longer an escape.
Speaker 2: Do you think that is the fault of the internet, Like, surely a few decades ago when you had a hobby. And I actually remember growing up as a teenager, I would have hobbies and be like, I'm bad at sewing, but I'm gonna sew and I don't really know what other people's sewing looks like, so I can't beat myself up.
Speaker 1: That's the reason why I can't get into hobbies, because people are too loud about their hobby. So I started coloring in. So I bought my texts, I got my adult coloring book, and I was coloring in. And then I was scrolling on TikTok and I saw a tik whose whole TikTok was about coloring in, and she had the same coloring in book as me.
Speaker 3: So I was looking at it. Her coloring in is.
Speaker 2: Way better than mine.
Speaker 3: Because you know what she does shading? What the fuck is that?
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm just using one color per little quadrant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sometimes I'm out of the lines. It's really hard sometimes, and she's doing it so well.
Speaker 1: So then I started practicing shading with shit at it got really mad having colored in again.
Speaker 3: Friends, and yet another example of how no one understands anything anymore. Actually, that feels like the theme of this show today. Very confused. The biggest movie in the world right now and being hailed as the savior of cinema for twenty twenty five, is universally regarded as terrible, and its fans are trashing cinemas, throwing popcorn and letting loose live chickens because they love it so much. If you have to take your kid to see the Minecraft movie, I have a word to the wise, because that happened in my house this weekend. Go early before the teenagers get there. If you have a teenager disassociate, have nothing to do with it, leave them to it, and go to a screening like the one that my son went to, where a stern woman stood up at the beginning of the screening and said, don't even think about it.
Speaker 2: Brent said she.
Speaker 3: Was so scary. He was like, oh and put his popcorn down.
Speaker 2: Do you think was Billy thinking about it?
Speaker 3: Oh? Of course he was. Because so we're talking about the Minecraft movie. No one thought it was going to be massive. Obviously, it's big ip. Everybody loves Minecraft. But the big wigs in Hollywood before big movies come out, they do this thing called tracking, where they test the audience and decide, oh, this is going to be a massive movie. They thought this was going to be middling. They were like, yeah, because it's aimed at jen Alpha. But its stars a gen X so Jack Black and Jason Momoa are like old dudes, right, So everyone's like that seems like a strange choice. It's got no plot whatsoever, and it cost one hundred and fifty million to make, which is terrifyingly not considered very much money. But the thing that everyone underestimated it is the kids who play Minecraft and people in their early twenties who grew up playing Minecraft are obsessed, and they have made it an incomprehensibly enormous hit. It's taken six hundred million dollars at the box office and it's been out for less than two weeks. It's going to be bigger than Barbie.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what the problem is?
Speaker 3: Cinemas are in this bind because they're delighted because they're like bombs on seats, yay, popcorn sales yay. But then the kids who are coming because it's all about TikTok and filming it. Every time a line from the trailer is shown, they all lose their shit, throw the popcorn in the air, let their live chickens loose when have a big body. So the cinemas are like yay, but they're also.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, my question is how did they get a live chicken into the theater? That is just so bizarre.
Speaker 3: But these are a large hat.
Speaker 2: They couldn't predict that it was going to be this big because ethically, you can't test children, do you know what I mean? And it's like no, no, no, never underestimate the power of children to annoy their parents into taking them to the movies. That is the lesson.
Speaker 3: After the break. Can't afford a designer handbag, of course you can't. You can't afford ection cheese. Here is a good reason to feel great about it. One unlimited out loud access. We drop episodes every Tuesday and Thursday. Exclusively for Mamma Mia subscribers. Follow the link of the show notes to get us in your ears five days a week, and a huge thank you to all our current subscribers. Look, Amelia is not here. Sorry, I love you, But tariff explanation possibly not your strong suit. I don't know, it's not It would be fine because I think we've all had enough of tariffs in the past couple of weeks. That's the word that we've just heard over and over again. But the problem is right now, if you pick your phone up, it's probably full of tariff related content in the form of what is being called Chinese factory TikTok, swiftly making its way onto every platform. Here's a little taste of what I'm talking about. I love what China doing.
Speaker 2: Keep on exposing these big brands.
Speaker 4: Some say, as long as there's a tag saying made in China, the bag can never be luxury. However, in fact, more than eighty percent of the luxury banks in the world are made in China.
Speaker 5: Who are the suppliers Behai Lulu Lam Some of their Yugo wears are actually from Young Long Clothing and Hauntisim Clothing and guess what full factories locating ill here and these two factories also some light clothing or kila and unarmed.
Speaker 4: The total cost will be one thousand, one hundred USD or one per kid out of factory. But why Ermis will charge you thirty eight thousand USD for one bang. That's because more the ninety percent of the prices paid for its logo.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's start with something sensible. Nothing you just heard has been independently verified or confirmed by any of the brands involved. So there's that. There's this thing called propaganda. You've probably heard of it. Some governments are really good at it. Some governments own the most powerful social media algorithm in the world. So put that in your pipe, and you know, consider it. Right, Some governments just do distracts. It's true. This is a very sophisticated level of distrack.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: The reason you are suddenly being flooded with these videos though, even though you're not in America, is because the tariff that President Trump has not backed down on, because a lot of them is just gone. Okay, Okay, I was kidding. Let's just have a little time. You can all come and kiss the ring and I'll see what I decided to do. But with China, he's gone, no, it's one hundred and forty five percent for you, all of you. Now, that would make something manufactured in China something like, oh, I don't know, TVs, smartphones, trainers, furniture, makeup, almost all fast fashion kids, toys, almost anything that contains rubber or plastic, medicines, chemicals, glasses, contact lenses, trucks, engines, solar panels, tea. All of that now two and a half times more expensive if the tariff business kicks in properly? Right? But what's particularly sexy for a TikTok audience? So if you're the Chinese government and you've got all these factories and manufacturing is a massive part of what you do, you're like, what's the sexy thing we can push on TikTok about this to create unrest about the tariffs. Designer handbags, designer goods in general. Younger and aspirational market who are on TikTok aspire to want designer things. Broadly speaking, I know not everybody does. Some people are much too ethical for that. Sure, all of us would be high status brands. That's why I don't have any bags I'm too ethical for it. And so that is the target of the Chinese Factory TikTok videos that are impossible to escape. They are saying that fancy bag that retails in America for thirty eight thousand dollars, and Kim Kardashian has a whole wardrobe full of you could buy a direct from us for a grand those fancy leggings that are in that trendy active where boutique that cost one hundred bucks six dollars in China, Claire, have you seen Chinese factory TikTok everywhere I have?
Speaker 2: And everything I know about tariffs I know from Emelia Lester on this podcast. So to be honest, that's sorry again, but that actually makes me really smart when it comes to tariffs. But what I'm getting from these videos, and please correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm not really asking either of you two. I'm more saying out louder is correct me if I'm wrong. But I feel like this is my vibe on tariffs. Donald Trump meant it to be like I'm giving all of you guys tariffs, so we'll make things in America and people will buy the things made in America. Is China. Is China now being like jokes, why don't you just buy it directly from us? Is that what's happening here?
Speaker 3: It kind of is, but that's not really possible on a big scale. That's why this is really trolling in a lot of ways, because, yeah, there are sure going to be people watching this who are going, oh, yeah, let's set up an agency where we go into China and buy direct Anyone who's ever started a business that manufactures anything, whether it's makeup or you know, will tell you that you will be dealing with China because China is a manufacturing superpower, right, which is good. But what Trump is kind of saying is we want to manufacture things here, so all you big brands come and build plants in America. But there's a little problem with this, and this is something to be thinking about when you're watching the Chinese Factory tiktoks, because it's true, as many of these TikTokers say that there's a lot of snobbery about things made in China. We all can acknowledge that, and some of that is very problematic and some of it is downright racist. But as one of these guys says, He's like, if a luxury fashion brand tells you it's made in Italy, you all go ooh, Italy, Royal People, Milan Fashion Week. If we tell you it's made in China, you go ooh. But the thing to bear in mind is that one of the reasons why things are cheap in China. One is the scale, no question, and the supply chains, no question. But also it's because labor is cheap, which means that workers do not get paid very much. The average wage for a factory work in China, and it varies a lot depending on where they are in the country, but is somewhere around five hundred dollars a month. Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of these videos, the guy is saying he's kind of exposing the whole path by which this works, and the fact that you then send it to a luxury brand and they might put bloody logo on it.
Speaker 3: So says the logo, will send it to them, they'll put their finishes on it, put a logo on it, and that logo basically costs you thirty thousand dollars. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He admits in the video that he's a little bit ashamed by how nobody in the factory makes money. I'm kind of like, why are you sharing this? This makes this whole thing look really, really really bad. But as a really selfish person, I'm looking at it being like, is it meanthing gonna be cheaper for me?
Speaker 3: So that this is are you thinking? M or I've always wanted a blah blah bag. Now I've got a new idea of how to get one.
Speaker 1: Well, I have a fake designer handbag that I bought years ago in Hong Kong, and it was one of those situations where you go into the shop and then they're like, come into the back room, and there's another backroom, and there's another backroom, and then I'm in five backrooms and I get this fake designer handbag. And then when I saw all of these tiktoks, I'm like, I wonder if my fake designer handbag is actually the real designer handbag.
Speaker 3: Feel that way because we run a story on Mama Miir a while ago about how Jupe designer handbags are massive and have their own status now and there are lots of sites where that you know, you buy jeeps and they're saying it feels just as good. It's all about when they say hard where I think they mean buckles, so what they like the little part? Does your fake designer handbag feel like what you imagine a real one?
Speaker 1: It feels so real to the point where I lie, I just straight up li. I tell people the trail.
Speaker 2: That's what I was gonna say. When you buy a fake designer handbag is the idea that people think it's a real Like, I don't know, I've never had anything designer, which this makes me feel really smug about that because I'm like, yeah, you idiots.
Speaker 3: I think that's the other point of this. I think the other point of this and why it's being shared by American audience and stuff, is that if we accept that the vast majority of people might aspire to owning the kind of handbag that Kim Kardashian does, or think that it's a symbol of having made it, but could never I mean even a more basic designer handbag they cost thousands of dollars and having that kind of so if you can be like, you guys are suckers and I'm smart, then that's great.
Speaker 2: Actually, yes, my favorite kind of content is the kind of content that makes me feel better about being lazy and doing nothing, and that this has done that. I'm like, I'm not contributing to some of the worst parts of capitalism. Also, I don't have a luxury handbag.
Speaker 1: Vibes, ideas, atmosphere, something casual, something fun.
Speaker 3: This is my best recommendation.
Speaker 2: As we lead up to the long weekend, we thought we'd sneak in some recommendations to set you up because my advice to everyone this long weekend, and it's actually just advice to myself. I think we got to turn our phones off. We gotta get away from all of We've just told you how bizarre the world is. You're not gonna understand between.
Speaker 3: The Chinese and the dish tracks and the space. It's time. It's time to turn to your hobby's turn.
Speaker 2: Off and let's turn to I'm just thinking about everyone's recommendations. I think they are all fiction. I think we just turned to a fake world, a fake world. I'm going to start with my recommendation because I'm impatient. Some listeners may have heard of a brilliant show called EA. I grew up watching it.
Speaker 3: Up was a big deal. I bloody loved George Clooney.
Speaker 2: Oh there was a George Clooney. Oh gosh, it was just such a brilliant show, and it really I really thought that's what hospitals were like, and then not quite. But if you were a fan of EA, you need to watch The Pit. So it's an American medical drama TV series from the same producers and creators as EAR, starring Noah Wiley, who I didn't know was also an executive producer of EAR. I didn't know he was involved in the making of it. He loves it, I know clearly he's like, this slapped a doctor. I am. I believe he's a doctor. If he honestly attended to me in the street, I'd be like, go for it. But so, his character in the show, doctor Robbie, is dealing with his traumatic experiences during the COVID nineteen pandemic. And in this show, every episode of the season covers one hour of a single fifteen hour emergency department shift at the Pittsburgh Trauma Medical Hospital, hence it been called The Pit.
Speaker 1: That is exactly why I thought it was a reality TV ycause I know, right, it looks so real.
Speaker 2: I know, right. So I started seeing a million clips of this on TikTok and I was like, hell, yeah, Eer's back. I've to come back. A lot of the team who created Er are involved in this, but one guy isn't, and he's suing them, being like, this is just a reboot of R But people are like, it's actually no more similar to ER than it is to like Gray's Anatomy Air.
Speaker 3: Why do you think we love hospital show so much? Considering that usually our interactions with hospital come at a bad time in our lives, But we cannot get enough of watching them because.
Speaker 2: It's just a procedural, like you know what I mean, Like structure wise, it's just and also the drama, and you're also curious because every time you're in hospital you want to know the gossip. You're like, what is everyone doing? So this show is so good because it is like a more realistic version of a lot of the medical dramas we've all watched. So it's not Gray as Anatomy Vibes where someone's got a bomb in them. It's not that, it's not that. What it is is actually a bit of a commentary on the health system in the US, and it really actually goes into all the stress that doctors are under, some of the ridiculous pressures placed on them in the health system in America, where it's like there's like patient satisfaction surveys and they're like, yeah, the patients are waiting twelve hours. Of course they're not satisfied, but it's less absurdist than a lot of the medical dramas, and the pace is a bit different. I didn't realize that all I wanted in my life was another medical drama. It's so good. Everybody has to watch.
Speaker 3: It binge yes, and it's called it's called The Pit. I've had TV show too. Now, if me and Jesse were here, they might not let me recommend this, although actually I have just remember Clas Steven's here and she also thinks might recommendations as ship. We'll go for it a lot about loud as well. Have already watched this because it's been on Netflix for a while, But have either of you watched Running Point on Netflix with Kate Hudson? I watched her twice.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is it a film? Is it ai?
Speaker 3: No, it's a series.
Speaker 1: It's like eight epps, I think, yeahs so, and they're renewed for season two.
Speaker 3: Yep. So it is a TV show that is about a woman who somehow finds herself in charge of the La Lakers, and they're not called the La Lakers, of course. It's based on the life of a real woman who suddenly found herself in charge of the La Lakers, called Genie.
Speaker 2: This is the one totally accused you of being a rip off of Ted Lasso. Yes, that's why you love it.
Speaker 3: Well, it's not Ted Lasso, though, it's not different as good as Ted, Like, I know, I'm recommending it here, but it's a different vibe, but same concept. Fish out of Water, sports coach, sure, right, it's also boss lady vibes, right because Kate husband, she's not the coach, she's the boss because one of her brothers is a drug addict and blah blah blah. So there's all that. It's a bit of succession as well.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: Well, no, I'm trying to.
Speaker 2: Mars because you're like.
Speaker 3: Is it like this good show? No?
Speaker 2: Is it like this good show? No? Absolutely not.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm recommending it. So Mindy Kayling wrote, direct, created this ten produced. Yeah, and she's a funny woman. Right, it's a comedy. But the reason why I'm a little bit embarrassed about it being my reco is we talked a little while ago on the show about the tropes you see all around you in mainstream drama, TV, books, whatever, and this ticks every box. So Kate Hudson is a powerful business woman, but if there is a glass door, she will walk into it. If there is a swimming pool nearby, she will fall into it, but still look really good. Yeah, she has a disastrous love life, you know what I mean. She can't drink a drink without spilling it down her top. You know, all of that kind of stuff. Lots of easy laughs. You can see what's going to happen from across the room, maybe from another suburb. You can see where the plot's going. But the reason I found myself binging it is it is the perfect show for a tune now. It just is the perfect you not show. And it made me realize that one of the reasons why we love all those tropes, like you know, hot guy comes in, takes his shirt off and you're like, oh, well, they're going to be together in like three episodes time, is because they're comforting. They're not a mistake. It's not like Mindy Kayling and all the smart people in this don't know that those things are predictable. It's that give the people what they want, give them what they want because they work, They do work, and they speak to a fundamental truth, which is that all of us feel a little bit like the boss lady who runs into a glass door. All of us will sometimes inevitably fall into a swimming pool with all our friends and all these hot men around us who played basketball. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I started watching it going like, oh, I don't and then I'd found myself itching to get back to it. I watched the whole thing, perfect long weekend watch. Loved it, loved it. It's called Running Point on Netflix. Kate Hudson.
Speaker 1: So I have two kind of recommendations. They go hand in hand there, and I'm going to make both of you probably a bit angry about my second one. But I recently read a book. It's called How to End a Love Story by Eulan Kwan. I talked about I think on our subscriber episode yesterday about my dating life. Haven't been eating that much. And this is a very very sexy novel. I've been leaning into the smart This isn't about fairies or anything. So people you have read them.
Speaker 3: All so good you have to get on it.
Speaker 1: Oh, you have to get on it anyway. So this is written by Ulan Kwan and it's an enemies to Lovers trope. I know we talk about tropes. This is a big trope. Stars Helen and Grant. She is a writer of novels, he is a writer of TV shows. They're destined to be together, except they already know each other from high school, where a tragedy has brought them together.
Speaker 3: And now it's really good. I read it in like a day.
Speaker 1: It's one of those novels that you just can't put down because it's just so sexy.
Speaker 2: Is it well written?
Speaker 3: Really well?
Speaker 2: Okay, because that's something I love when it's like great plot, feels like you're watching a rom com, but actually really beautifully real.
Speaker 1: It's really well done to the point where you picture, you know, when you picture the characters in your head and you're like, I hope it doesn't turn into a movie, because I don't want it to be someone who's not head one of those The reason why I'm recommending it is because I actually borrowed this book from a library which I've now joined for the first time in my life. So I had a library down my street and I would go into it a few times, and I didn't have that many books, so I never really paid that much attention to it because I read a lot of books. I read really fast. I probably read three to four books a month, and so I'm spending a lot of money on books. So what I found out about this library because I said, I'm so sorry buy books from authors. What I found out about this library new means because I live in the CBD, and if this is a really good reco if you also live in the CBD, or you work really close to the CBD, or in the CBD is a lot of the libraries in the city are connected to each other. So there's one in like Pot's Point, Newtown, Ultimore, Surry Hills, and now everything's online. So I have a library app that I like can borrow a book from each one of those libraries, and I'll tell me where I am in the queue, and you can send the book to the library closest to you, and I'll text you when I pick it up.
Speaker 3: So you go in, you say out, I want to borrow this book and it's out of stock. You go in the queue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's all on your phone. Yeah, and then messages and then you go just pick it up and then you're off.
Speaker 3: Look, we talked about libraries and yesterday subscribe to it because Claire's writing in them a lot at the moment, and I also used to write the libraries. Libraries are amazing. If you're wondering whether or not authors like libraries, of course they do because they love books. Do authors get paid when you borrow a book from the library, Yes, they do. They don't get paid as much as if you bought that book, So we do fully support them, but every year, but it also free.
Speaker 2: My unpopular opinion is if it's somebody say, Oprah's written a book, borrow that from the library.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If Hollywayne writes written a book, we buy it from an independent bielf.
Speaker 1: Okay, because I do love a library, but I love reading, so even this book How to End a Love Story. When I really like a book I borrow from the library, I have to own it as well.
Speaker 3: I've already bought it.
Speaker 2: You're a good person.
Speaker 3: A massive thank you out loud. As you've got a special big show today because obviously it's a long we can coming up and we are not leaving you entirely. We've actually got a really exciting thing dropping on Friday. Then I'm just saying my teacher about but not tell you too much more about it. We will have a show for you on Friday and Monday, but it won't be your typical show. So this is us leaving you with all your easy stuff and your recommendations for the long weekend. We hope that if you've got time off, you enjoy it. As Claire says, and plug relax. Thank you to you two for filling in for Mea and Jesse this week.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Thank you, of course to our brilliant team for putting this together, working their asses off as they always do. And we'll be back in your ears tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Bye see ya.
Speaker 3: Shout out to any Mamma Mia subscribers listening. If you love the show and you want to support us, subscribing to Mamma Mia is the very best way to do it. There's a link in the episode description