Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast. Mama Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. I'm Miya Friedman and the team Atmuma Mea are bringing you over one hundred hours of the very best of the podcasts that we've made from across our podcast network. Do you know that we have something like fifty six different podcasts here at Mamma Mia. And if you follow this one, we have selected some others that you might like to listen to as well, and we've also brought back some of our most popular and most riveting stories from No Filter, which is what you're going to hear today. We first brought you this conversation with David Gillespie about how to spot a psychopath all the way back in twenty seventeen. But the thing about psychopaths is that they don't change, and all the warning signs of them are still the same, and they're still around. We're not talking about serial killer psycho paths. This is about the psychopaths that walk among us in our families, in our homes, in our workplaces, maybe in our friendship groups, maybe on our dating apps. In fact, definitely also on our dating apps. David is a phenomenal author. He's written a lot of books on brains and navigating toxic people and about sugar, all different kinds of things, but this one on psychopaths, and this conversation that we had is among the most popular No filters that I've ever done. This episode might make you see the people around you a little differently. Don't say we didn't mourn you. Enjoy. Hi. I'm mea Friedman and welcome to No Filter. This is a podcast so you can't see my face when I'm interviewing people, and that's part of the reason I love podcasts. I love listening to them, I love making them because there are no visuals to distract you. But I really, really wish you could have seen my face when I interviewed David Gillespie for this episode about psychopaths. Now, don't panic. We're not talking about the serial killer kind of psychopaths, not Ivan Malaut and Martin Bryant and the Ted Bundy ones. Because most psychopaths are not killers. Most psychopaths aren't even violent. Their bosses and managers and parents and grandparents, and you can find them in loads of different professions. Although some more than others, and we'll get to that in a minute. David Gillespie has written a book called Taming Toxic People, The Science of Identifying and Dealing with Psychopaths, and the book is about all the psychopaths that walk amongst us, at work, at home, and even inside our own families. In his book and in this interview, David explains exactly how to identify a psychopath. And as he listed the signs, my eyes widened so much they nearly fell out of my head. The all, my god, moments of recognition just kept coming during this conversation, as I began to realize that I have indeed worked with several psychopaths during the twenty five years I've been in the workforce. I've worked for them, and I've worked alongside them. I've even accidentally employed a couple, and I've certainly dated one or two. And it's almost certain that you have too. David says he has never ever spoken to someone about psychopaths without them having one of those aha moments, as a whole bunch of confusing things about a certain person in your life, or your world or your past suddenly made sense. This is honestly the most fascinating, mind blowing interview I've done, and I cannot stop thinking about it. Here's David Gillespie. David Gillespie, welcome, pleasure to be here. I feel like you could be looking at me and wondering if I am a psychopath? Is that what you do? Now? Do you sort of analyze people? No?
Speaker 2: Not really. I get the feeling that that will be someone's reaction to reading the book, But as a general rule, I don't do it myself. Unless it's something that I or a person I'm contemplating getting into some sort of a financial or other close relationship with, then it's really important to know. But the rest of the time it doesn't really matter. Why write this book because I experienced working for and with psychopaths on a fairly frequent basis.
Speaker 1: And can you tell me what industry?
Speaker 2: Roughly in just about every industry I've ever been involved in, so, I've been involved in tech, I've been involved in law, I've been involved in government departments, startups, all kinds of things. It's unusual, to, in fact, find a place where you don't encounter them in fairly significant numbers, usually at the top of the organized and when I first encountered them, I wasn't sure what I was dealing with. They seemed unpredictable, confusing, disruptive, destructive, and they didn't seem to be any real pattern to their behavior, and so I needed to put some labels on stuff. So I went researching trying to find things. Eventually came to the conclusion that there was this personality type and I probably didn't put a label on it at the time, but this anty social or psychopathic or sociopathic.
Speaker 1: Toxic is a word obviously in the title of your book, But that's a word that has been used more commonly in the last few years. Hasn't it to just explain that person at work whose behavior is confounding and excruciating, and.
Speaker 2: It's also the effect they have on everybody else You can often the easiest way to tell that there is a psychopath in a workplace is to look at what's going on. If there is a large group of people fighting for no good reason, large amounts of confusion, in fighting, distrust, lack of cooperation, then there's going to be a psychopath in the center there somewhere. That's the effect they have on normal people, and so that's often the telltale sign that they're there anyway. So I was encountering this sort of thing reasonably frequently, and I'd read books about it, and there are many, many books about psychopaths in the workplace. And what I found really frustrating about the books was they didn't tell you what to do. They are great at helping you pick them out, identify them, say yes, this person is definitely a psychopath. But then the advice is run away, Run as fast as you possibly can get away from this person. They're dangerous. There is no good that can come from this, and I found.
Speaker 1: That that's not always possible.
Speaker 2: Is well, particularly unhelpful advice, because you know, most people need their jobs. Most people can't just cut and run from a relationship or their family, or their employer or their parents. That's right. It's just tricky and dangerous, often with a psychopath. And I felt that surely we can do better than that. Surely the science must have advanced to the point where we've got better answers than run away. And so I've spent probably most of the last decade looking for those answers. And it's only really probably in the last two to three years that you've started to get definitive science about them rather than the one hundred years of psychological guesswork that we've had up till then. Now we're getting really good, high definition MRI studies that are starting to tell us a lot about how their brains work.
Speaker 1: Just jumping in to tell you the characteristics. According to David in his Book of a Psychopath, they include being charming, being self obsessed, being a fluent liar, emotional manipulation, someone completely lacking in remor or guilt, emotional shallowness and callousness, someone who takes no responsibility for their actions. Impulsive, parasitic, fearless, highly controlling, vindictive, aggressive, and intimidating. Back to David, So, I want to ask you a little bit about I'm going to ask you a lot about how to deal with psychopaths in a moment, both in work and in relationships. But I want to start just with a couple of definitions, because sometimes people the word psychopath is often used to describe the Ted Bundy's, or the Ivan Malats or the Martin Bryants, those kind of crazed and violent serial killers. Is that accurate? Are they in fact psychopaths? Or is that is it a word that's become sort of used incorrectly.
Speaker 2: It's a word whose meaning has drifted. When it was first coined, it probably did mean what I mean it to mean, which is someone who lacks empathy. So there's two types of people in the world, psychopaths and empaths, and we'll talk about that in a little bit more detail, but that's all it meant when it was first introduced to sort of in common usage in the nineteen forties. But by the nineteen sixties, with the release of the film Psycho, the meaning had drifted more towards the person who stabs you in the shower kind of person, and.
Speaker 1: So that's more about psychotically exactly.
Speaker 2: He probably wasn't a psychopath at all. Norman Bates was probably psychotic, but not a psychopath, But that took that meaning in that direction, and instead we invented a new word, sociopath, which essentially meant the same thing, but it was a nicer way of calling someone a psychopath, and now people even suggest that they're different things altogether. The difficulty is that from a psychological perspective, there is no diagnosis of psychopathy or sociopathy. Neither of them really well Neither of them do appear in the official Manual for psychiatric diagnosis. So the closest you can get is antisocial personality disorder or perhaps narcissistic personality disorder, both of which are much wider than what I would call a psychopath.
Speaker 1: So correct me if I'm wrong. Is there almost a spectrum of psychopathic behavior? Or is there a spectrum of antisocial behavior upon which different things sit like narcissism, sociopath, psychopath? Does it kind of work like that?
Speaker 2: There've been a lot of people who've published a lot of papers that puts forward all those sorts of hypotheses over the years. I would say that the science is at a point now where we can say you either are or you aren't okay this kind of person, and the only real difference is the degree to which or how you express your lack of empathy. So the bloke who ends up in prison for chopping up sixteen people has probably low access to resources and the only route to power and fame or money or what he wanted was to kill people who got in his way. And when you talk to people who work with criminal psychopaths, it's interesting, you know. In fact, I was talking to a forensic psychologist just the other day, and I said, how does a criminal psychopath deal with a psychopath that they encounter? And he said, oh, easy, they just kill them. So problem solved. Now you're more high functioning psychopath. That is, people with more access to better resources, better resources like education, power, social skills, those sorts of things don't need to kill people to get what they want, so they don't.
Speaker 1: Are all psychopaths perfectly happy to kill people if necessary.
Speaker 2: They don't see a problem with killing people, and that's a fundamental and that probably in the most stark example of how they think differently to the rest of us. To us, if I said to you, oh, look, if you hit someone, you won't want to do that because you'll be causing pain to another person. And you don't want to do that because it kind of bounces back at you through empathy, and that you cause pain to others, you feel their pain. And some people say, oh maybe sometimes something. It depends who it is.
Speaker 1: So a psychopath might not want to kill someone, but only because it would be inconvenient for them because they would have to go to jail.
Speaker 2: And they're not afraid of consequences. But they are well aware of the practicality, so it's more like a computer assessment of things. Okay, am I likely to get away with this? Can I do it in such a way that I won't suffer harm or or just it won't impair my ability to continue, and being in jail will impair their ability to continue. So it's more like a logical planning than any kind of a fear of going to jail.
Speaker 1: You talk about the difference in your book between feelings and emotions. Yes, can you explain how that fits into being an EmPATH or a psychopath?
Speaker 2: Sure, Often psychopaths are described as having an no capacity for emotion, and that's not strictly correct. They have the same capacity for emotion as we do. They just have no control system over the top of it. So let me be clear about that. Our ancient reptilian brain, the limbic system, experiences very direct emotions, and there's various theories about it, but people put it between somewhere between five and six basic emotions. And I don't know, but things like fear, lust, anger, things like that really core.
Speaker 1: So the things you almost don't they're almost reflexive.
Speaker 2: Yes, they are reflexive, so completely unable to be managed in any way whatsoever. Psychopaths experience those just as much as as empaths do. What happens in an EmPATH, though, is that, using a system called spindle neurons, they transfer those emotions up into the frontal cortex in the brain, which would be what i'd call the adult supervision of the human brain. This is our most recently evolved part of the brain. It is the bit that makes decisions about whether to react. How to react, how to deal with emotions is one of the things it does. So it's a sort of a higher level translation, and it takes your basic emotions and translates that into an array of feelings. So last gets translated in some circumstances into love or like or whatever is the more appropriate higher level functional emotion. Psychopaths don't do that. They can't do that, and so that's the bit that they're missing.
Speaker 1: And so if they experience anger.
Speaker 2: Then they experience anger, and it is full on, uncontrolled, uncontrollable anger.
Speaker 1: Right with this idea of psychopaths not being able to experience empathy, yes, that is sometimes said. I want to draw a very clear distinction sometimes set of people with aspergers that they can't experience emotions in the same way that people who aren't on the spectrum can.
Speaker 2: There's two types of empathy. There's cognitive empathy and emotional empathy. Psychopaths experience cognitive empathy. That is, they can observe somebody and they can judge why they are reacting the way they are, assign an explanation to it, and make moves based on what they are seeing. That's cognitive empathy. Psychopaths are brilliant at that. In fact, they are probably better at that than any normal EmPATH simply because they don't have the other bit, emotional empathy, and rather like a blind person, develops significantly better capabilities with say, hearing or other senses. Psychopaths are much better with cognitive empathy than most. Emotional empathy is the bit what I was talking about before, which is feeling what other people are feeling, so not just seeing it in their face and reacting to it, actually feeling it.
Speaker 1: So it is like watching a sad movie and crying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it's even more than that. It's seeing somebody be hurt or feeling joy and feeling it yourself and not just thinking, oh, that's joy, that's good for them, but which is what a psychopath would think, but actually feeling it, actually feeling it, as if you were.
Speaker 1: Expect when your sports team wins.
Speaker 2: That's right, yeah, But a psychopath could feel joy at that because they want to bet or something like that, but they wouldn't feel the emotion. They wouldn't feel that as if they were experiencing it themselves. And there's the difference with Asperger's, so aspergic people are the other way around. They have enormous capacity for emotional empathy and no capacity for cognitive empathy.
Speaker 1: So they just feel things, but.
Speaker 2: They feel exactly but don't know why. So they're almost kind of the opposite of a psychopath in that sense. But in a societal sense, it often, as you say, comes across in a very similar fashion, which is that they're disconnected in some way. And you often see aspergic people described as if they were psychopathic in their responses, but it's not. It's actually them shutting down because they are feeling so much.
Speaker 1: You say in your book that the job psychopaths are most attracted to ceo, lawyer, TV or radio hosts, salesperson, surgeon, journalist, police officer, clergyperson, chef, civil servant. Yes, and the job psychopaths aren't attracted to include sort of the caring professions, so a care aid, a nurse, a therapist, a crafts person, a beautician, stylist, charity worker, teacher, creative artists, doctor, accountant. Interesting between the difference between a doctor and a surgeon. Yes, So why do those industries, particularly journalism, police officers, surgeons, CEOs, lawyers, why do they attract psychopaths or do they create psychopaths? Or is something is so psychopaths something you're either born as or not.
Speaker 2: Well, psychopaths, whether you're born at it as one or not is an interesting question which I don't believe we've got a good answer to at the moment. There's a couple of things we do know, which is that those spindle neurons, which are essentially the circuitry for empathy, are hardwired into the adult human brain at a certain density, and we know that when they are there at that density, the human brain is a normal EmPATH. When they are there below that density, we know they are a psychopath. And when they are there above the normal density, we know that they are depressive, which is interesting. It always makes depression and psychopathy opposites of each other, so we know that about it. We also know that at birth humans have almost none of these neurons, rather like every other animal on the planet. But between birth and the age of four humans normal humans develop the normal density of neurons or the spindle neurons. Psychopaths don't and something. Therefore, it's either happy between zero and four, or it was going to happen anyway, or it's a combination of two in that there was a propensity and then something happened. Which of those it is, we have no idea, but it is interesting that there's a couple of things that come out of that. First, a newborn is basically a psychopath every newborn, and they develop empathy over the course of the next four years when not or not the vast majority do, but some don't. Now, coming back to the professions, psychopaths are attracted to professions that give them power over others, so give them the ability to control others, have people be subservient to them in some way, and they are less attracted to professions where they would have to serve others.
Speaker 1: I say so they often can become very successful in these professions and rise quite high. Why is that.
Speaker 2: Psychopaths interview really well, like really well one of their real skills, and this arises out of their strength and cognitive empathy, which is they are very very good at reading us. Within seconds, they can read us. It's almost psychic in their ability, and it isn't psychic. All it is is that they have. Because they lack cognitive empathy, they can't rely on automatic emotional detection. They have to do it manually. They have to do it by reading you. And because of that, they are very good at telling what we want to hear. They know what we want to hear and they reflect it back to us. Now, in this day and age, we make that especially easy for them because we publish what we want, what we're afraid of, what our likes and desires and insecurities are all over the internet. For that reason, psychopaths rarely have social media accounts of their own. They don't like to publish information about themselves because one of the other things about psychopaths is that they'll tell you a different story to they'll tell me to the next person they meet, and it's very, very hard to maintain a consistent story if you're putting your whole life on social media, but they do use it to stalk people. They can get a lot of information about a potential target from what they put on their social media.
Speaker 1: So when you say target, you know early in the book, in fact, on the first page, you compare a psychopath to a tiger and you say, if it looks like a threatening presence, then I will leave it alone. This is the tiger thinking if it looks like something I can use, then I will do so. So what is a psychopath trying to achieve.
Speaker 2: The same thing all the time? And this is worth remembering because it's the same no matter who the psychopath is or what the current situation is. They are always trying to achieve more money and power for themselves. That's it. There's nothing creative about it. That's it. And often people are quite surprised when it oils down to just that the lengths that they will go to, because it is just from moment to moment as well. It might be as simple as I don't know, getting the bigger bowl of ice cream. It's moment to moment what gives them.
Speaker 1: More So, Donald Trump, quite famously in the White House dining room, insists that he gets two scoops of ice cream and everyone else only be given one.
Speaker 2: Is that an example, Well, that's an example.
Speaker 1: That's just a dick.
Speaker 2: Well, no, no, that is an example of him demonstrating to the room that he is a superior person. And you might think the president of the United States doesn't need to remind people by how much ice cream he eats, But they don't think that way. They think everybody needs to be constantly reminded that I am better than them.
Speaker 1: Next, David explains how to tell if you work with a psychopath. What are some of the ways that you can recognize a psychopath in your midst at work?
Speaker 2: Usually one of the most obvious ways is a comparison of what they were like when you met them with what they are like now. So often when you first meet a psychopath, they are the most charming, wonderful person you've ever met in your entire life. Because they don't know you from anyone. They don't know are you going to be useful? Are you not going to be useful? And so they will play you. That means reflect back to you whatever they think you need to hear.
Speaker 1: So not even we're not even just talking about an interview situation, although that is why they will interview well, yes, when they're looking for a job, but once they've got the job, yes, everyone they meet. They will try to chart.
Speaker 2: Everyone they will meet at first, unless they get the sense that the person is a psychopath as well, which they'll be very good at picking, because there's no point they know they can't manipulate another psychopath.
Speaker 1: Is they're like a secret an.
Speaker 2: There's probably a secret look. I don't know, but they are extraordinarily efficient at identifying both victims and hard obstacles will be other psychopaths. People that can't be manipulated are no good to a psychopath because almost everything they do revolves around manipulating people to gather power and money to themselves.
Speaker 1: Do a psychopath know they're a psychopath.
Speaker 2: They probably don't have a label for it. They certainly know they're different and, in their view, better than everybody else, So they will have known this from a very very young age. They'll have known just by looking at an earthquake on television and seeing people suffering and seeing the effect on the people around and they go, oh, gosh, I guess I'm supposed to be affected by this. So they'll know they're different, and eventually they'll be able to say they're different better in the sense that they're not crippled by these emotions and feelings. And what's better, they find that they can in fact manipulate people with these emotions and feelings.
Speaker 1: And so they'll meet they'll meet you. They'll be charming because they won't know yet what you can do for them or not do for that.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: What will happen next.
Speaker 2: Once they're in So, once they're in a relationship with you, working for you, working with you, whatever, they'll drop the facade. It's a lot of work to maintain a facade. It's even more work to maintain multiple facades to different audiences. So they'll drop that and you'll see it slip at first, and then eventually they won't bother at all.
Speaker 1: So does this happen over a period of weeks? Does it happen over a period of years. Let's stick to the workplace for a sex. I'm going to ask you about relationships in a minute.
Speaker 2: It depends on the level of dependence that they have from you, meaning it depends how tightly they feel you are bound in. Once they feel you have nowhere to go, then they don't bother anymore.
Speaker 1: How do they create that situation where you have nowhere to go?
Speaker 2: Well, they get the job for starters, So one way is to get the job to be your boss. And then once they're your boss, then they work on destroying trust in the workplace, so destroying the trust of the people who are underneath them, so not trust in them, but trust in each other. So they'll tell this person a story. They'll tell that person a story. They'll tell that person a story.
Speaker 1: Yes, tell this person that the other person doesn't rate them very highly, and they tell the other person that this person thinks they're no good and.
Speaker 2: It won't even be as obvious as that. Sometimes they'll rotate favoritism, so that's a favorite tactic, so that there'll be you know, there'll be a golden haired child of the month, and everyone else you know is either ignored or evil, but that'll get rotated around. They'll do public executions is a term I use for it, meaning you know, they'll publicly demean someone in a meeting or whatever in front of everybody else. Everybody else will know that it's wrong and shouldn't happen, but they'll keep their head down because they don't want it to be them. So it's that kind of gamesmanship that's going on. But to the people above them in the organization, they are absolutely fabulous, you know, the best person they've ever hired. They will maintain the facade for.
Speaker 1: Those people, so they manage up very well.
Speaker 2: Manage up very very well, and kick down.
Speaker 1: So how is a psychopath in the workplace different to a workplace bully or is that just another name for some psychopaths? I think they behave you can be interpreted.
Speaker 2: I think most workplace bullies, or at least the worst ones, are definitely psychopaths. And there is a quantitative difference, and it has been done in the research. Your average workplace bully, just a bad manager, just you know, it's a terrible manager, is going to bully their workforce once a month on average, so ten to twelve times a year. A psychopath will do it two three times a week. So it is a significant difference in scale and that goes to show well, you can just be horrible and not be a psychopath, but it's frequency that will be the determinant.
Speaker 1: You know, you speaking, Just my eyes are widening, as I'm sure many people have when you've talked to them because you go, oh my god, that guy or that girl, And I wanted to ask you about that. How many psychopaths are men and how many women?
Speaker 2: If you had asked most of the research is that question ten years ago, they would have said, it's almost entirely men. The research has moved a long way from there now. The reason is because most of the studies done up to that point were done on male prisoners, so of course it was almost entirely men and almost entirely criminal. But the research has really moved a lot further in the last few years, and you're talking now about broad population research and women's prisoner's research, and it's pretty much coming to the conclusion that there isn't a gender bias. So there are just as many female psychopaths as male psycle.
Speaker 1: I can think of a couple. So you suspect you've got a psychopath in your midst he or she might be your boss. How do you deal with it?
Speaker 2: If they are your boss, then you are probably in a workplace where you've gone from trusting and enjoying working with the people around you to not knowing who you can trust.
Speaker 1: You will have got so they like to throw everyone off balance.
Speaker 2: Absolutely everyone is. The cloud of emotional confusion is what they use as cover for they are trying to achieve. And so you'll be experiencing a significant change in your workplace where suddenly people you thought you could trust you're not sure you can. You certainly can't talk to them about the psychopath because you're never not quite sure whether they are on the inside or the or not, and whether what you're saying might get relayed back to them, and then you'll suffer punishment. So you're in a world of pain in that situation. Really, the only solution, and I really hate saying this, but it is true, is you've got a plan to leave. But you can't just cut and run, because just cutting and running will probably cause you significant damage. The psychopath will probably treat that as some sort of an insult which requires revenge and punishment. You may suffer financial damage for it, They may sue you. You know, they're quite good at doing that sort of thing with the resources of an organization behind them, So you can't do that. What you can do, though, is plan and do a few other things while you're at work, So keep applying for the jobs you want. But at work you have to be the ideal worker, and I mean almost robotic, which is you don't interact with the psychopath unless you have to. When you do, you repress all emotional responses. They will try their very hardest to get you to respond emotionally to things they say, and they will be wanting to do that because they want to use your response. If you go crazy in a meeting because they say something that is seemingly innocuous, then you're the nutbag and they will use that. Be honest at all times, absolutely scrupulously honest. They will try to get you to be dishonest. Let you fudge your expense report or something like that. Oh it's all right, you know, I know that was mostly a business launch. You can claim that. As soon as you do something like that, you give them a lever against you, because immediately if that comes around and bites, they can say I didn't know that they were doing that. I had no idea. You know, what a terrible person. We must get rid of them. So be scrupulously honest, be cordial, polite, show no emotions.
Speaker 1: Whatsoever as you try to get the hell out of it.
Speaker 2: As you try to get out of there. Take notes of everything. Do a James Comy take notes of every meeting you have so that the lies are recorded. One of the things about psychopaths is that they have no particular attachment to the truth. To an mpath, the truth is kind of a core message. Might not always stick to it, but it's kind of a core thing that we keep coming back to. Psychopaths don't have that at all. The truth is whatever needs to be said at the moment to get what they need to get, and they don't care that it's different to what they said yesterday. They'll be able to explain their way out of it. Plausible deniability is built in second nature. Stating the complete opposite of what they said yesterday, and they'll say it with such confidence that you'll believe, well, maybe I'm the one that's mad, but I'm pretty sure he said the opposite to that yesterday. Writing it down gives you a very clear record of what's being said. Confirming all instructions in writing is another defense tactic you have to use, which is psychopath tells you to move dirt from pila to pile B, you confirm in writing that that's what you've been asked to do, no sarcasm, no emotion, no questioning of their authority or power, simply confirming the instruction you've been so.
Speaker 1: Been quite submissive.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And then one little thing that I guess the cream on the cake is flatter them. They are extraordinarily prone to flattery, even obvious flattery that you might consider way over the top obvious, they will think is perfectly realistic. They do think they're the smartest, best person in the world, So occasionally telling them that will keep you on their.
Speaker 1: Good side as you try to get the hell out.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: What are some of the other signs that there is a psychopath in your midst You write about process in Micromanager.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, So. One of the things that psychopaths tend to do in a workplace pretty well straight away is that they obsess over process. So they come in and they're inventing new processes, new reporting schemes, everything has to be done in triplicate. By the time they're done, you're almost spending more time reporting to them than you are doing your job. And to people who are good at their job, that is an extraordinarily frustrating experience because they're used to management that trusts them, lets them get on with it, and only is there if they need reference or need help with something. Psychopaths don't work that way. They believe we are nothing better than barnyard animals, and we need very precise instruction or we will go off the rails. And we also need to be carefully monitored because we are probably stealing from them or diverting resources away from them.
Speaker 1: So that's why they do it absolutely. And look, when you come into a new job, and if you're a new manager, you don't want everyone to be dying nicing psychopaths everywhere because some of these things aren't just what new managers do, right, So you come in and you say, hey, maybe we should try doing it this way. And then when someone does have a new manager, it can be quite disruptive and people can feel unsettled enough balance, But you're saying that that's different to when there's a psychopath because of how long it lasts, how intense.
Speaker 2: It is, and it gets regular and worse, and.
Speaker 1: So there are more processes and more micromatag yes.
Speaker 2: And it never seems to end. Just as when you think that they've gone as far as they possibly can, they come up with something else. They have no strategic focus at all. So a normal manager will say, oh, how are we taking this business forward? They'll direct somebody to do some work on that, provide some recommendations. It will be discussed, there'll be a consensus decision, et cetera. Psychopaths don't work like that. They'll be in a meeting, they'll have an idea that will be the plan.
Speaker 1: But that's me. But that's just a bad manager. Like I think, I'm just sometimes a bad manager. And sometimes I'll do that thing of our micromanage. But as soon as I feel like people, I'll only micromanager if I feel like things aren't right. But as soon as I feel like I can trust that things are right, I'm out of there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that doesn't happen, So that means I'm.
Speaker 1: Not a psychopath.
Speaker 2: I hope though, But is that true?
Speaker 1: So the fact that I get out of there means that I'm probably a psychopath.
Speaker 2: Won't be able to do that, won't be able to walk away from it.
Speaker 1: Right, But sometimes they do just have an idea and then just well, they are bad managers. Bad managers aren't psycho rece either.
Speaker 2: Any of the things I've described you could probably attribute to a bad manager. It's having all of them together and the effect it has on the workplace, which is the complete and total destruction of trust in the workplace. That is the absolute, definitive symptom that there is one there somewhere, Because workplaces are communities. At the end of the day, they're a group of people putting the community or the workplace's benefit or or good outcomes above their own. You know, they're doing it for pay, So it's not like it's altruism, but it's close. It is putting the benefit of the community above and ahead of the benefit of the individual. And as soon as that's not happening in a workplace, it's usually because there's a psychopath there. As soon as people are just they're looking out for themselves, defending themselves, trusting nobody, cooperating not at all, And as soon as that's everybody in a workplace doing that, then you know there's a psychopath there.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now I want to talk about psychopaths in relationships because I, like many women, have been in an emotionally abusive relationship. But I don't think he was a psychopath. So tell me how psychopaths behave in relating romantic relationships, it's.
Speaker 2: Very similar to what I've described work. They don't change because they're at home versus when at works. So they're all about control. They're all about micromanagement, they're all about reporting. They don't trust their part at all. They are people who need to be controlled at all times and are in their mind a possession something who is there to serve them. And as soon as they stop being useful as a possession or a source of money or power, they don't need them anymore, and either they will just walk away or they will abuse them simply because there's no reason not to.
Speaker 1: If I'm in a relationship with a psychopath, or I suspect I am, what might I notice is happening.
Speaker 2: Well, it'll be really clear in the relationship.
Speaker 1: They'll probably be very charming at first one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, they will be probably the fastest, most accelerated relationship you've ever had in that you will move very very fast. They will seem absolutely perfect upfront. They will tell you exactly what you want to hear. They will be exactly what you want to be. They will be the best lover you've ever had. The sharing I was going to.
Speaker 1: Say they must get a lot of sex because if they can like turn it on, and you also say that they're more likely to be the ones that will approach the woman that intimidates other men.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, Why is that a challenge? Why not, you know, go for that. They believe that they are entitled to the best of everything, so why not choose the best looking or most appealing possession in the room.
Speaker 1: And they won't always be the captain of the football team and the highest you know guy, and the you know, socially upwardly mobile or will they like.
Speaker 2: They'll pretend to be if that's what you want to hear, okay, And they.
Speaker 1: Won't necessarily be the most good looking person.
Speaker 2: Well, people often say psychopaths are especially good looking. But when But when studies are done on this with objective testing, where people don't know ahead and aren't actually speaking to the person you know, they're looking at a photo, there doesn't appear to be any particular bias towards psychopaths. But I think it's it's once again, if they're telling you what you want to hear, maybe they look better.
Speaker 1: So it's all happening very fast. I'm in love, he says, he's in love, he wants to introduce me to his family. He's talking about our future. It's all happening very very fast. And then what happens.
Speaker 2: Once you're in, once you're committed, once you're hooked into the relationship, and you can't leave because you've.
Speaker 1: Moved in, you're pregnant, you've got married.
Speaker 2: Ed banking accounts, shared possessions. He's probably moved in or she's probably moved into your home. You will be providing most of the possessions and resources, even though the story so far might well have been that they had all sorts of resources available. There'll be some unfortunate event which has drained them away in some way. Yes, but to help them get back on their feet, they'll be moving in with you, using your car, You'll be paying for dinner, et cetera, et cetera. That once that's happened, then they have no particular need to maintain the facade unless you look like you're going to walk. So if you detect a change, or they drop the facade, or you know, and you are a particularly strong willed individual who doesn't care and is just going to say, nope, I'm out of here, then they'll either bring it back up and love bomb you, or they might go the other way and use force to keep you there.
Speaker 1: Wow, So what do you do? How do you get away?
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, there are not a lot of good answers for this, particularly if you're in very deep that is, have children with them, money with them, those sorts of things where you are entangled with them. It is very, very difficult, and they will use the fact that you are emotionally attached to the children and they are not against you, so you know they will use children and possessions as tools to manipulate you with and to hold you and bind you into the relationship. So it is extraordinarily difficult to get away. Probably the only real advice you that is useful is work slowly towards disentangling yourself. Not that you can do that with children, but everything else. Disentangling yourself, keeping trying to get separated and.
Speaker 1: Squirrel away opening up another bank.
Speaker 2: Account, just doing it.
Speaker 1: Slowly and imperceptibly, that's right.
Speaker 2: And maintaining the same rules that I said about being in the office, which is maintain compliance, do not react emotionally, et cetera. But ultimately with the plan of getting out of there and never coming back.
Speaker 1: But look, because psychopaths can't change.
Speaker 2: They can't, they can't, they won't change, they and they don't feel like even if they could, they wouldn't because they believe they're the better version of humans and were the emotionally crippled cheaple. So they wouldn't change even if they could.
Speaker 1: What would a psychopath do if they caught you square money away?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the reason to leave them. That's the risk, both in the workplace and at home, is don't get caught, don't get court applying for other jobs, don't get caught squirrelling money away, don't get caught having an exit plan. Because they are extraordinarily vengeful, extraordinarily vengeful, and they really have no breaks on that, nothing to stop them exacting revenge. Now, if they're particularly if they have access to lots of resources and money and someone, that might be legal revenge or nasty rumors with other employers, or blackballing you in the industry or whatever in a relationship, it might just be hitting you.
Speaker 1: Psychopaths more likely to be violent than not, do. They just see that as one of their many tools, and they don't differentiate it from anything else.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's two things at play here. The first is that they do experience emotion, volatile, high powered, intense emotion that empaths will control with higher order thinking. Psychopaths don't control. So if something is making them angry, and any insult to their power is likely to make them angry. If something makes them angry, then they will react instinctively with anger with no ability to control it. Sometimes they do that for show as a means of manipulating you. Sometimes they really mean it. Either way, They're not going to stop just because you're hurt.
Speaker 1: You talk about two tests in the book. One is the hair psycho Psychopathy. I never can say that. One is the hair psychopathy checklist.
Speaker 2: Yes, what's that? That's a checklist that was designed until he designed He did it in the nineteen eighties and he was doing it in prisons and its purpose was to more accurately diagnose people who are psychopaths in the prison population. The reason that he needed a checklist was because up until that point, whether someone was a psychopath or not depended on who was doing the interview. You know, it really just depended how easily they were manipulated, etcetera. Etcetera. And it was very fluffy. That test allowed people in prisons all over the world to play apply the same uniform criteria and come up with a score, and they said, above this threshold score, you are dealing with a psychopath. But it is a test which is designed to deal with criminal psychopaths. So there's a lot on there that is about criminality, so you know, juvenile delinquency, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 1: What was the test that was I thought it was the hair one, but what was the one with the noise?
Speaker 2: That test was actually a series of studies done to measure fear in psychopaths, because one of the things that people notice really early on was that psychopaths don't react the same as everybody else to situations that would engender fear, and they gained a reputation for being fearless. That's been nuanced a lot. But those studies were done in the eighties and nineties, and they were done on prison populations where they would expose people who they had pretested. So two groups people who were psychopaths using that test, who were psychopaths, and others who were criminals but not psychopaths, and they would tell them you are going to lie here. We're going to count down from ten and at the end there is going to be extremely loud noise. And the first time they did it, and there was no anticipation, no fear in the people. The noise was extremely loud. It was really unpleasantly loud. And then they would do it again and again and again and measure the levels of anxiety in the groups. And what they found was that nobody loved hearing the noise, but the people who weren't psychopaths exhibited enormous anxiety the countdown because they knew what was coming. I'm feel just thinking about it, and they just showed real anxiety. The psychopaths showed no anxiety at all. So from that they said, oh, they're fearless. It's now clear that they're not fearless. They do experience the same as we do. They just don't translate it to anxiety. So they are afraid of just of danger, just as much as anybody else is, but they don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I guess my last question for you, David is what happens when psychopaths have children?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, to a psychopath, a child is a possitionion, so like a pet is a possision, and as long as it is a well behaved position, that's fine. As soon as it's not a well behaved position, then it can be discarded or brought back into line. So to a psychopath, it's our child is nothing more than a dog that needs to be disciplined because it's not performing as required.
Speaker 1: So they have no feelings of love.
Speaker 2: Love is a higher order feeling, so they can't experience love, and so they have no sense of that joy. Well, no, they can. They experience lust and sexual attraction, which are the law order emotions, but they can't translate that into love. They don't know what love is. They hear us talk about it all the time, but they have no idea what we're talking about.
Speaker 1: So they have children why because they think they should.
Speaker 2: Oh, there'll be lots of reasons. It might be part of the entrapment. It might have been necessary to have children because the person they were targeting wasn't going to stay in the relationship unless children were produced.
Speaker 1: But there will also be mothers that are psychopaths.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, same deal way around. Well, so, same deal. It could be that the only way she can keep the partner in the relationship is to provide him with children.
Speaker 1: And will she or he always be abusive towards their children? If you're a psychopath, will you always abuse your children, either physically or mentally or emotionally.
Speaker 2: Well, only if that's what's necessary to control them. At the end of the day, the purpose is control, not abuse per se. You know they're not abusing for the fun of abusing. They're abusing to an end, which is to control. If the possession can be controlled without abuse, then it'll be controlled without abuse.
Speaker 1: If the possession can be controlled. So as children get older, what would be a sign that your parent is a psychopath? I guess I wanted to ask you.
Speaker 2: That kind of relationship where you have no real emotional connection with them, that you see them projecting publicly a very different face to what you see when you are in private with them. And there's actually some very interesting case studies been published by children of psychopaths, and I go through a few of them in the book where they talk about what that was like, which is, up until about the age of thirteen, they noticed over and over and over again that you know, dad or Mum would project some completely different persona when their friends were in the room or when they were in public to when they were alone with them, and then it would, you know, just all just go blank and bang, they're just part of the furniture again. But when the friends are their.
Speaker 1: They would perform the parent because that's what they know their friends need to should be seen exactly.
Speaker 2: They would act like happy families and then bang, it would just be shut off as soon as the person left the room. So that's the kind of thing. And kids growing up in that environment often many of them in the case studies say they thought that was normal. They thought that's what all parents did. And it's only once they got out into sort of socializing with other kids sort of in their teens and so on, they realized, wow, you know what, not all parents are like this. Not all people have this completely emotionally disconnected relationship with the adults in their house.
Speaker 1: David, your book is phenomenal. I can't recommend it highly enough for anyone who is in a relationship with anyone, people who have a job, who encounter people in any aspect of life. Whether you think there's a psychopath in your life or not, it is it's almost like an immunization against encountering psychopaths in life, which we all will. I mean, I can think of half a dozen that I've encountered through my life.
Speaker 2: Every wonder I've not spoken to a single person who looks back at me blankly and says, got no idea what you're talking about? Never meant anyone like that.
Speaker 1: I'm sure people are listening with their eyes wide David, thank you so much. Taming Toxic People is a study on psychopaths. It is available now. Thanks for listening to No Filter A lot to think about. Hey, you can buy David's book Taming Toxic People and my book work Strife Balance at Eyebooks at Apple dot Co, Forward Slash MoMA Mia, and this is where you can also subscribe to all our other shows in one place. You might want to subscribe to Mama Mea Out Loud, which is our flagship show, or Year One, which is our show for everyone who has got you children in the first year of their lives. We also have a podcast for pregnant people called Hello Bump, and a podcast for families called This Glorious Mess, and one of my personal favorites, a podcast called The Well hosted by Rebecca Sparrow and Robin Bailey, two women in their forties who talk about all the ways to make your life better and easier and faster. They are very funny and just two of the most wise and witty people. If you want all of our podcasts in one place, best you go download Thema MEA Podcast app in the app store. It's pink, and you don't have to remember any of the things I've just told you, or where to find them or what they're called. They are all in the Mama MEA Podcast app. And if you and this episode of No Filter, I have plenty more. We've recorded I think one hundred and six or one hundred and seven episodes of this podcast. I wonder how many of the people I interviewed to psychopaths, you know. Part of doing this episode, I was slightly worried that maybe I was, because there are some of the things that I am. I do like sometimes processes, I can be overly involved, sometimes I micromanage. But I've asked around for confirmation, and of the people who've listened to this episode and read David's book, they say I am a lot of things, not all of them good, but I am not a psychopath, so that was a relief. But some of the people I've interviewed who I really don't think are psychopaths, but who are really interesting episodes of their own. Peter fitz Simon's Oh my gosh, if you've wondered, he'll hate me for saying this, but if you've wondered what it's like to be married to Lisa Wilkinson, it's a great interview. Peter fitz. He've always been Donna. Sue Brierley is the real life mom from Lyon. If you don't know if you've seen the movie Lion about Saru, the little boy who was adopted by I was going to say Nicole Kidman by an Australian couple in real life, the mother of whom was played by Nicole Kidman in the film. And Sue is just amazing. It was so interesting to get her perspective on the movie and on some of the issues. I had a lot of questions. If you've seen Lyon, he has a brother that doesn't do so well after his adoption, and I had a lot of questions for Sue about what it was like to have that portrayed on screen, as well as Seru's incredible story of finding his birth mother. Will Anderson. I spoke to Lisa Oldfield. I spoke to She had three glasses of wine during this podcast and then tried to crack onto my son. We have had just so many fascinating guests you can go and see in the feed a whole bunch of different people, and a lot of people say this is a very good podcast to listen to if you're on a road trip or going for long walk anytime. Really, maybe it'll help you go to sleep. Who knows. If you want to suggest a guest or just ask me a question, call the podfhone on two eight triple nine nine three eight six, or flick me an email at podcast at momamea dot com dot au. Please leave a review and a star rating of maybe I don't know five stars in the iTunes store. Tell someone about this podcast, because the more people that know about it, the more we can continue to make this and all the other great podcasts we make at Mamamea. This podcast has been produced by the delightful Eliza Ratliffe for the MMAMEA Women's Network. If you're looking for something else to listen to, like and follow all of our Mumamea podcasts, which are currently bringing you hot pod Summer one hundred hours of summer listens, from spicy conversations to incredible stories, fashion, beauty. Where the friends in your ears over summer