Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on Hello Lee here, Now I have a question for you. Do you feel guilty when you buy something expensive? We were asked that on You Beauty to Kelly and I feel guilty recommending expensive products And the answer is quite controversial, and it also applies to fashion too, So have a listen and I'd love to hear your opinion.
Speaker 1: Makeup is my therapy. I'm in love, I'm obsessed, and I don't even feel guilty of body.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to You Beauty, the daily podcast for your Faith.
Speaker 1: I'm really careful. I'm Kelly McCarran.
Speaker 2: Now on Mondays we answer you be questions, so people send us emails, us send us voice notes.
Speaker 3: We actually love a voice note because we love hearing what your actual voice is. Yeah, I like it's always lovely. But a good old DM will do.
Speaker 1: And we try to be helpful when we answer them, don't we kill We always do try to be helpful.
Speaker 3: And today we've got a great question about overnight masks than some fab recommendations, Well, I think that they're fab with our host act. But Lee, I think she's gonna have a real giggle at me. But first, Janis has emailed us. I'm really curious about your thoughts on aging. Does working in the skinkey industry make you more paranoid about it?
Speaker 1: Or do you care less as you get older?
Speaker 3: I ask because before Instagram I barely thought about aging, but now it's something I noticed daily for context, I'm in my early forties, and I'd love to hear your perspective.
Speaker 1: What a great question. I have so many thoughts. I mean it depends.
Speaker 3: I mean you're asking us personally, but there's kind of micro and macro opinions. I like, micro is asked, and then macro is like the patriarchy and how our you know, brand's market to us. Oh God, let's do worry about that. Let's just pretend. Let's do the micros so we will be here all day.
Speaker 1: We will.
Speaker 2: I'm about to turn forty three, and I started in this gig at twenty one, so I wasn't really getting into beauty for the anti aging aspect. Really wasn't that interested in this skin care element of my job back then. I loved makeup, I loved hair, I had different, you know, hair colors, and I believe it. I'm not killing with all different color eyeshadows and all sort of things like that. I first had anti wrinkle injections at twenty seven through my job for free for a trial because I could, And now at forty three, I've stopped having any sort of anti wrinkle injections.
Speaker 1: This is way pre social media.
Speaker 2: Like this is even before Facebook and before Instagram. So I've been in the industry and watch the whole thing grow for me as I get older. I definitely care less, and I think that that is probably the way life is designed. I give less fs about what other people think. But I've realized that aging in general, not just my face, but it's about being healthy and taking care of myself, not so much what I look like, you know, fitness and trying to eat well and supplements and all of that is to keep my body from aching and doing all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: So I agree with you.
Speaker 2: I go on Instagram, and of course because I follow a lot of beauty accounts and engage in a lot of beauty content, get fed a lot.
Speaker 1: Of that stuff.
Speaker 2: I think I have a different filter. I'm kind of looking at it for work. I'm not looking at it for Oh no, do I need that? Because of this? Also, I shouldn't speak for you, Kelly, but Kelly and I can see through a lot of marketing jargon or no. If you know a brand saying this is the best cerreum ever, and we look at the ingredients, we know, okay, yeah, well it's good, but it's also the same as all these other ones. I'm definitely not paranoid about it. The only thing I'm paranoid about aging is literally how fast the years are going, and that you know, I'm middle aged and that happened overnight. But for my physical appearance and my skin and the way I look, no, I care much less.
Speaker 3: I have what's it called, like reverse body dysmorphia. Key friend of the pod, Key always tells me that I've got like middle aged white white man energy. She's like, why do you have the confidence of a middle aged white man?
Speaker 1: Yes? Like and the audacity.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I genuinely think that I'm hotter than ever you are.
Speaker 1: You are, That's what I'm talking. I've got reverse body dysmorphia. When I look in the mirror, someone.
Speaker 3: Might be like, oh, that chick's getting on and I'm like, oh, look great, you do. And when people say, oh, you know, there's nothing quite like youth, maybe it's because phones weren't that good back then.
Speaker 1: But I don't look at.
Speaker 3: My photos and think, oh, my goodness, I wish that I still looked at that I look and I think, oh, cis you really don't know how to do your eyebrows. Or I don't think that I was just like astronomically more beautiful objectively when I was younger. And of course I don't have the collagen and the plumpness that I once did. But I'm also not racked with insecurities and so shy that I don't want to even open my mouth. And it sounds so cliche, but for so many of us, and I know not everyone, confidence really does come as you get older because you just don't care. You simply do not have time to care too much. Also, and this is a little bit of a tip for anyone playing long at home and for Janis, don't look in the mirror too much and too much detail. Like even when I'm doing my makeup, I'm not looking at my face in the mirror, I'm looking at my eyes in the mirror. And then I'm looking at my skin in the mirror. Then I'm looking at my lips in the mirror. I'm not actually looking at my whole face and then looking at flaws if that makes sense. Yes, And don't use that silly magnifying mirror unless you're trying to pluck hairs. Yeah, agreed, Like, just don't, it's not good for anyone. I also think that Lee and I have the bonus of, as you said, seeing through marketing jargon, but also for me, I don't know if you feel the samely. It's so easy to look on Instagram and think, oh my goodness, that person's so beautiful. But we are lucky enough to see people in real life all the time. No one looks the way that they're not. No one, No, Yeah, so many people don't look the way that they do on Instagram.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I fail to actually recognize someone.
Speaker 3: I'll be like, oh, is that so and so I follow them, and then I'll be like, oh, dear lord, filters are insane. AI is insane. Don't trust what you see. It's probably if it looks too good to be true. Someone's skin looks too good to be true, probably is Yeah, probably not real I mean it's interesting because when I started in beauty media, yeah, I mean websites. I remember I was at Cosmo Polishing magazine and they're like, well, you better get the website really happening. So you're right, like there was no selfie cameras.
Speaker 2: You used to take a digital camera out and get it exposed like six, you know, so you weren't.
Speaker 3: Looking you were looking at yourself in HD like as well, or at other people, like yeah, buying magazines maybe ear weekly, maybe some monthlies, and you knew that magazine photos were retouched.
Speaker 2: So I do think it's an interesting thing to examine because we see other people's faces in our own faces far more than ever before.
Speaker 1: There's more brands, you know.
Speaker 3: Zoom calls, spacetimes instead of regular calls. Online shopping, you know, that became a thing. So I understand where you're coming from. I do think it's something, particularly if I had a daughter. I mean, I've got two teenage nieces and they look at themselves in their phones on the mirrors more than anyone, you know.
Speaker 2: I guess that's that generation. So I think it's more the people coming up. I'm kind of glad I was on the cusp and missed same same. But no, I just don't care, like I know what I know, Like I've got this big sun spot here and every time, you know, I've got friends that are working industryroom, they're like, oh, we can zap that.
Speaker 1: I can't be bothered.
Speaker 2: I don't care like you know, Like I take care of my skin now could take better care of my insides.
Speaker 3: But I have off days, like everyone will have an off day, like when your outfits not working, or you've broken out, or you're just feeling really tired.
Speaker 1: Well that's it, like I do.
Speaker 2: But look back at my old photos, and I had the chubbiest cheeks, like I always had a lot of collision.
Speaker 1: How do people thought she secretly got filled up? Everyone thought I did. She just had a chubby face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I lost my baby fat on my face in my thirties. I look back and go, gosh, But then I hated that then. But now I wouldn't mind a little bit of that volume back because I've lost a lot of volume in my face. So no, I'm not paranoid. I'm like, eh, what are you gonna do? There's no time to care too much. The one thing I would do if I could go back is where more sunscreen, more diligently earlier, because I didn't do that early enough. Yeah, Janis, if it's getting to you recent Instagram algorithm, start liking some salad, start liking some puppies, and the algorithm will give you more solid than puppies.
Speaker 1: H'd people that make you feel bad about yourself, greed.
Speaker 3: Just don't follow them. Don't follow them all. Yeah, yeah, but interesting. I'd like actually to hear the Ubi salt.
Speaker 2: Maybe we'll start a little chat over in the group because it can make you feel it really insecure. Yeah, but that's why the group's they're eighty five thousand wonderful women to just say, hey, you know what, I got that problem too. And on that note, after the break, we're going to chat about our favorite overnight face masks. So Janelle asked, who is not Janus? Janelle asked, Hi, girls, I'm hoping you might be able to recommend your favorite sleep masks for the two nights a week that are my retinol rest nights. I've been using one for a few months now, and as much as I love the concept, I feel there's better out there and would love your advice for a forty something year old, haven't heard it discussed on the pod before. Thanks love the Potty Oh we ever, I love an overnight sleep mask. I wrote in my news that a couple of weeks ago about how despite having access to every product under the sun, sometimes I'm so exhausted.
Speaker 1: I just my seller and everyone.
Speaker 2: Do that totally one two nights e yes, I literally go okay, my seller and then I just grab an overnight mask because I'm like, you're one step, that's what you're designed for. So I'm not not doing my skincare call you go first with yours, because I've got quite.
Speaker 3: A few, and my list is quite short because I actually haven't tried that many and I actually need to, but I'm so in love with the one that I'm obsessed with. So it came out about two years ago now, the Murad Cellular Hydration Repair Mask, and at the time, so I got a PR sample in a Sephora bag and I'd worked with Murad before, and I did something the following day that I've never ever done in my career. I reached out to the PR and said, does Muroad want to work with me again?
Speaker 1: Which I just have never done. Because you love the product so much.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and I just have never actually actively reached out for a pay partnership because I just get like really weird about that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: But I said to the PR, because.
Speaker 3: I'm want to talk about it anyway, may as well try to get paid for it.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I have not stopped talking about it since it is like my skin the next day. The reason I reached out was like I could not deal with how juicy and plump my skin was from one product and from one night.
Speaker 1: That's a purple one. That's the purple one you love.
Speaker 2: But what I also should say is not all of them say overnight masks. Some of them just might be a mask, but you can sleep in them. But does that say overnight? I can't remember it does well actually, because lots of people are like, oh, that's a pydrating face mask, but can I wear it overnight? As long as it's not active like a viam and a you can wear it overnight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I actually don't know if it does, but I've always used it as one see I use that as a like a twenty minute before a makeup. But I love it.
Speaker 3: Yes, But to eighty five dollars for eighty meals from Sephora or like online from Murad and like it lasts a long time because you don't need that much.
Speaker 1: No, it's gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Before I jump into my list, we're gonna link in the show notes. One of the U Beauty Collective writers do a story late last year, so it's pretty new, and they've said, I've tried all the viral overnight masks and these are the ones I actually repurchased, and there's a bunch in there.
Speaker 1: What ones did she say?
Speaker 2: I'm not going to tell you to go to the really all right one that I love that doesn't say overnight, but totally can be kind of kicked off. This category really is the summer Friday's jet lag masks.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I forgot about that. I love that product.
Speaker 2: So you can get the little twenty eight grams from Mecca for forty three dollars to try. And really the founder was on a million flights and was like, oh, I need something I can whack on sleep on the plane or whatever and land wake ut looking not like a sultana correct, So that's really good. Again, it doesn't say overnight, but you absolutely can the avine hydrants hydrating sleeping mask beautiful. You can get that at Chemist Warehouse. It's about sixty bucks. It's on sale at the time of recording. And with these masks you can use them however you want. You can sleep in them, you can just do an hour or two before bed, you can do twenty minutes whatever. It just means like it's your one step one. I didn't try for so long, and now I'm kicking myself. I didn't try it sooner that I love. It's the Cora Organic's Nony Glow sleeping mask so good. Also her cleansing mom oh, oh my god, seventy two dollars. That's a beautiful one recently launched, I think maybe late last year.
Speaker 1: Also beautiful.
Speaker 2: Doctor Lewin's Ultra r for Collagen Surge overnight sleep mask seventy five bucks.
Speaker 1: Excellent. That's that little jewel chamber.
Speaker 2: I think I talked about it when you talk about the serum, a jewel chamber you pump and mix in your hand.
Speaker 1: Beautiful. They're kind of hard to get affordable ones well.
Speaker 2: In my newsletter a few weeks ago for whoever subscribes, I was explaining that I often just go oh, too tired. And one of my favorite ones I get from my it's Natio. It's twenty bucks.
Speaker 1: Oh I know, but I'm not talking about it here because I haven't talked about it. The Astop Sublime Replenishing night Mask one hundred and sixty five dollars.
Speaker 3: Oh, the audacity that Aceop have. Honestly, Aceops prices fatally.
Speaker 2: It's got a lot of five star reviews and it's in Aceop packaging, so everyone will think you fancy.
Speaker 1: But that's good too. Honestly, I love a lot of them.
Speaker 3: Say I do just want to give a quick shout out to when I really can't be bothered and I'm already in bed and I've just washed my face.
Speaker 1: The latest skin food. It's not an overnight mask.
Speaker 3: At all, but it's a slug product and you wake up really really juicy. So and that's like you can get it for under twenty grades.
Speaker 1: You can use sick a passpa on five like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, any of those slugging ones. You can also just chuck them on. I wonder what one she's using that's saying. I wonder if there's better out there? Can you tell us to email us next up?
Speaker 2: We will be sharing our host hacks and kel is a bit smug about something I reckon.
Speaker 1: Absolutely no one needs reminding over what you makeup, hacks Kelly, What are you going to tell me? It's so silly.
Speaker 3: But I am one of those people that four years I've been just like every now and there and when I'm doing a hair up, I rummage around for bobby pins. You can never find enough bobby pins, or you find two and they'll be like black bobby pins. And I've got really light hair. Do I have black ones? Well, because I've just got them. I don't even know why I've got them. They've just turned up. They're kind of like socks, they just seem to go missing. So my host tack is just a reminder that you can buy bobby pins, and you can buy them in your hair color.
Speaker 1: What is wrong with you? Bobby pins exist? That's your host tack.
Speaker 3: No, it's just a reminder that instead of always rummaging around for things, you can just go purchase them.
Speaker 1: I purchased one hundred.
Speaker 3: Blonde bobby pins for like two dollars fifty from Kmart.
Speaker 1: Kelly.
Speaker 2: You should have come to my house because I'm still trying to grow out my hair, and I've still got a mullet. I have a thousand trillion bobby pins everywhere that I don't even need to rummage. You know what you need that I've bught off Amazon. It's a magnetic boby pin holder.
Speaker 3: Oh see, I do need something like that, but this is actually it's a little container.
Speaker 1: You won't keep them in that flip for long.
Speaker 2: But like I did, one of these in my bedroom and one of them in my bathroom, because otherwise you put it down, the cat flips it off, gets lost. They just get stuck on the magnet.
Speaker 1: Okay, well that's also very genius.
Speaker 3: But if you are like me, and for months or however long you've been like, oh, for goodness, I can never find a bobby pin, you can buy them.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, water is wet. Shops sell things.
Speaker 3: Kel Oh, you're gonna eat your words if just one U be reaches out and goes thanks. Kell.
Speaker 1: And when I bought some bowbiy pins, I'm gonna make you eat words. I'll eat them englicious.
Speaker 2: Mine is for the lazy gels. Kelly's so good at washing her brushes. I'm not as good, but I'm getting better. It's something that I recently started to use in between proper washes. So like think of it as your dry shampoo for your brushes, except for it's not dry shampoo.
Speaker 1: Please hold, I do bring Show and Tell.
Speaker 3: She's got like a full lunch bag for her Show and Tell. You can get a million like Mac does a good one.
Speaker 2: But I've been using the models prefer brush cleaning mist, so basically it's like hand sanitizer brush. So I see a lot of makeup artists use these on sets, which is what reminded me because a month or so ago I had a shoot and she was doing lots of faces, and she had lots of brushes, but specific ones she would do. It's always got your favor, yeah, and so particularly if you're traveling or you're just really lazy, you just like spray it on it like d whatevers sanitizers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you meant to just like that one's oh, that one smells like good bit with alcohol. And I hate the smell of them. That's why I don't like to use them. You don't like my book hand sanitizer.
Speaker 3: No, And I don't like my brushes smelling. And then you've got to let it dry for a little bit, but say, you know, like the wash tive minutes between each it takes it day too. It takes a day to dry exactly. You really need to like set aside a Sunday. I just really like them, and I feel like I'm being a good girl. Like it's almost the version of the mycella and the sleep mask. When you can't people doing the whole thing or sanitizing, if you can't wash your hands, it's better.
Speaker 2: Than nothing, right, Yes, so dry shampoo when you're not gonna watch Yeah, so yeah, the models prefer one is sixteen dollars and I've been doing that sort of in between and I do take that when I travel if I'm going for you know, more than a weekend, particularly if I use cream products. They built up quite quickly. Yeah, so get yourself a brush cleaning miss clean your brushes and.
Speaker 1: Then go to the shops and buy some Bobby do it.
Speaker 3: You know what someone's going to Someone's going to be like, you're right, hell, and I can buy socks as well because I don't need to always. I would have said hair elastics, becus they got miss A hair elastics exactly, Well, thank you, So much for listening. If you have a question, please dm us at you Beauty podcast and our producer will make sure we answer it asap.
Speaker 2: You Beauty is produced by Cassie Merritt, with audio production by Teagan Sadler and shop Sell Bobby Shut Up.