Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Mama Mia out loud. It's what women are actually talking about on Monday, the twenty seventh of July.
Speaker 2: My name is Holly Waynwright.
Speaker 3: I'm m Burnham, I'm Amelia Lester.
Speaker 2: I have not yet bullied my way into MC.
Speaker 3: I know I can see you eyeing it when the studio.
Speaker 1: Out louders if you don't know what I'm talking about. This is Friday's show. We'll get there.
Speaker 2: But in the meantime, here's what's on our agenda for today.
Speaker 1: How not to be a shit guest by a Hollywood star who's had enough of ungrateful visitors.
Speaker 3: Plus a less celebrities now have a new type of love interests and they're just like us after all.
Speaker 4: And you've heard what Pauline Hanson had to say about domestic violence. We want to talk about why she said it.
Speaker 3: But first, in case you missed it, Megan Markle was on Master Chef last night. Did you guys hear them?
Speaker 4: No? I need to hear everything about you think I missed it?
Speaker 2: Do you think I missed it?
Speaker 5: Ever?
Speaker 4: Liverit?
Speaker 3: I knew you would watch the episode. I mean I feel like it was all I can't believe. I didn't watch it because it was the only thing I was hearing about for the last three months when they were here in April. But I did see a lot of like reporting, alleged reporting of her behind the scenes in a feud. Oh my god, stop it. Can you give us a little download what happened?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 1: So it wasn't a surprise that she was on, as you say, because I think they decided there was no way they could hold this leak and that when they were here in April and Megan was doing that big event in Kuji for Besties, and Harry was doing his sort of faux royal business. He was in Canberra with the veterans, and she went to the Master Chef studio and filmed a guest episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which I feel like is so her. We've seen the Netflix show. She likes to cook, she likes to present.
Speaker 1: They put her in context. The feud was supposed to be about this that you're about to hear, which is the intro that Poe, the amazing Poe did introducing Megan. I have to say, so picture this if you haven't watched it. The set was all fancy red car pits, chandeliers, fresh flowers everywhere, red velvet, and they had before this happened, they had some of the contestants going, oh, there must be someone really special coming today because everything looks really amazing.
Speaker 3: It kind of reminds me of like the Bachelor setup when you're meeting the women and he's standing there on the red carpet waiting for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then Poe said this. She is a.
Speaker 5: Global icon, a philanthropist, a humanitarian, a woman known around the world for her heart, her voice, and her deep love of home cooking with her own lifestyle brand that includes gifting and beautiful artismal food products all the way from sunny California. Please welcome to MasterChef Australia, the Duchess of Sussex.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, no, Meghan not. But she said, Meghan Mark.
Speaker 1: The whuha has been entirely confected. Let's put it that way, right, because some of the headlines were that Poe and Meghan were feuding because earlier in that she said during the intro, she said something like she's royally good or whatever.
Speaker 2: She said the word royally and.
Speaker 1: They were saying, oh, no, no, no, Meghan doesn't want to be referred to as royal. Let's be clear, every word of that intro would have been approved. But Master Chef isn't live, you know what I mean? As if it doesn't go out live, they could have stopped and done that again and again and again.
Speaker 4: There do that again, Holly, did you hear it.
Speaker 5: Again?
Speaker 1: Well, all I'm saying is that I don't think that any of the words said there were a surprise.
Speaker 2: Megan.
Speaker 4: You think she actually okayed Meghan Mikael.
Speaker 2: I think she did.
Speaker 3: That's not fair because in her Netflix show when she was had as a guest, Mindy referred to her as Meghan Markle and she was like, you know, I'm not mark anymore. It's Meghan sussexx.
Speaker 1: But also she's very smart. She knows that her name recognition is Markle.
Speaker 2: So I think.
Speaker 1: That that Mindy Kellen's watching the show going come on get told off when Poe gets away with it. I think what it tells us more though, is that the way she wanted to be introduced was as a philanthropist, humanitarian who has the lifestyle business on the side like that. So I think that actually that introduction is very informative because it tells us exactly how Meg's wants to be. I have to tell you that everything after that was really quite dull.
Speaker 2: So what was.
Speaker 1: Interesting to the eagle eye amongst us is she was dressed in black, like in a blouse and skirt. She looked great, but she did not look like the others. The hosts are in TV clothes like bright colors.
Speaker 4: You're told when you go on TV not to wear black.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like of posing this gorgeous, sort of strappy almost summer dress. There's colors, there's red lipsticks, there's a lot of color and movement. So it was a bit of an odd wardrobe choice, right because she kind of looked like she'd come to the office, you know.
Speaker 2: Was she blending in with the background a little bit?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: H Yes, she did. So, they were so she was there to judge.
Speaker 1: It was the final four. They're going down to the final three. They're all men, they're all good cooks. Obviously at this point I would hope so. And she said that H as she referred to him several times, likes meat and potatoes. She's more of a California girl. You knew this, right.
Speaker 2: She likes trepresses, she likes spice sprinkles.
Speaker 1: She got to choose the hero ingredients, and she chose all beautiful things from the garden. Of course she did, and then she tasted like Celiria Kai, screaming this and that it was all lovely. Then stop everything. Harry calls on the phone again a moment of.
Speaker 2: Complete surprise from the next door.
Speaker 1: He's in the camera and he calls on the FaceTime this poor man standing there getting his disjudged, and it's.
Speaker 2: Like, everybody stop.
Speaker 1: H's on the phone, and he calls in and him and makes have a little chilly chat and she calls in my love and all those things. Look, it was pretty dull, but it was fine. But I had my question is why did she do it? Because my prediction when they came to Australia, because it was like this faux royal tour and it had some business elements.
Speaker 2: I was like, surely this is the point.
Speaker 1: Of this is it's a promo for the fact that as Ever is going to start shipping to Australia.
Speaker 2: I thought that was going to be the thing.
Speaker 1: Nope, no sign of that. Still no Australian shipping. So the question of why is interesting.
Speaker 4: Hear me out money, Well.
Speaker 1: No, Amelia, oh, cynical Amelia. My friend tell me she wasn't paid. Wow, So Channel ten have said she wasn't paid, And so that makes it even more interesting because she would think that that was then all about profile raising in a certain market.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't you the food market?
Speaker 4: Interesting? So she was pro bono mastership.
Speaker 1: It seems much more like something you would do to elevate your presence and your association with food and all those things in a particular market, which is why I was like, oh, that's clever because and as you can also say that there was some it was obviously very intentional how they described as ever as well gifting, you know what I mean, Like it was a it was a branding exercise anyway.
Speaker 3: Well, Australia is still part of the common world, so is it an exercise in them broadly speaking aren't very likable in England. So it was like more of them just going to other countries going we want to get there first, we want to be.
Speaker 2: The likable one.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, and they, I mean, that was very much seen as the dry run for the new model that they want to do, which is a little bit royal, a little bit business sing and it definitely it was fine, there was nothing. She was lovely and it was great, but it just was a bit like interesting. I would have if I was her marketing, I'd be like, this would be great to launch as ever into Australia.
Speaker 2: The other thing we have to mention for me.
Speaker 1: Specifically because I'm sick of paying all the money for the flower sprinkles. The other thing that happened though in Megan world is that she posted a holiday carousel. Everybody in the Northern Hemisphere is doing this. Of course, did you see that? I did see the carousel?
Speaker 2: What did you think?
Speaker 3: I thought, very older millennial.
Speaker 4: Out Okay, where did she go wrong? Like? What was elder millennial?
Speaker 2: So it was a dump?
Speaker 4: Right, carousels are very hip.
Speaker 1: Carousels were back she and she just posted summer holidays and then it was like, yes they were in Portugal. I think, yeah, no, but I want to hear what the whole I have no problem with an elder millennial photo dump.
Speaker 3: In fact, I think we should bring it back. I wrote a full piece about this. It was like it was of the time because it's not like the blurry picks that we usually get from gen Z people, which is what we need from Meghan Markle, like, I want proper pictures that I can actually dissect what is going on.
Speaker 2: I don't want a blurry food pick.
Speaker 3: So what I'm saying is like what she did was good, good for us basically because.
Speaker 4: She correctly focused the photos. It made her look old.
Speaker 1: Yes, if it was a gen Z photo dump, it would have been like blurry hand and we would have been very annoyed about it, deliberately unflattering a cocktail in half shadow like it would have just been like maybe somebody's hand.
Speaker 2: She was trying to.
Speaker 4: Do the crypt she was, well, I want to know the strategy behind Althorpe being what photo five, photo six?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think she was trying to be gen Z because she was trying to not be too obvious, right.
Speaker 2: And one of the things.
Speaker 1: We talked about this on the show when Harry was on his very controversial show visit to Britain last month earlier this month, gosh, time is flying earlier this month, and he went to Britain and there was will she won't she? And the reports were that Megan and the kids were waiting in Europe. Well, now we know where they were waiting. They were waiting on a beach in Portugal looks great, and they flew into England for to go and meet the King and to go to Althorpe. Now a lot of royal reporters are saying, so Althorpe is Princess Diana's ancestral home. It's where she's buried on an island in a lake, famously, and it's I guess it's like Harry's one of Harry's birthrights. You know, he's got the royal stuff on one side, Buckingham Palace famously wasn't allowed to stay there, and then he's got Althorpe on the other side. And eagle eyed royal reporters immediately picked up that one picture where I think she was trying to be quite gen z and it's just the kids skipping along from the back, Harry walking from the back in what could have been anywhere a fancy English garden with some well trimmed bushes. They she would know that, we would, of course, And you look very closely, you can see that Harry is carrying flowers in his hand. So they clearly were going to visit Diana's well.
Speaker 4: There was no like Geo Marka on the photo.
Speaker 1: No, just no, she did and I think there were two pictures from Althorpe. No, yeah, no disclosure, you have to snoop. So I first looked at this carousel, of course I did when it first dropped, and went how nice. And then I saw the report saying of that, south of that, south of that health Royal reporters are saying, And of course there's always an element of sniping this, as there always is with anything to do with those two, but that one.
Speaker 2: Of the absolute conditions about going a to meet the King and be to Althorpe was secrecy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they are apparently being trailed by film crew, but that may be. The generous read on that is that Harry's making a doco about Invictus, which is next year in Birmingham in Britain. The ungenerous reader is that they're planning a part two of their big documentary, maybe something about Diana. But anyway, no film crew was in the picture, but they were definitely interesting. So are you still holding out for a family reunion?
Speaker 2: All I want?
Speaker 1: I've decided today, And actually after watching Meghan on the TV last night, and I was like, this is an entirely pointless endeavor, Like it's lovely, but what you know, they just need to get.
Speaker 2: Back in the Reyal Fan. I'm just absolutely cheering for them. I just want them back there.
Speaker 4: I just want you did this ask that question. I need to add one other thing in here, which is that remember how we talked about Meghan and Harry. Meghan snuck in to visit the King at High Grove because there was a Chanelle event happening, and so there were people coming and going from High Grove Estate and she was able to sort of enter under the cloak of darkness as the Chanelle event happened. Well, one person who was at the Chanel event was Plum Sykes. She's a fashion writer and she wrote on her newsletter last week this fascinating tidpit about how you get to Prince Charles Estate and the way you get that. She was invited to the Chanell event, but they didn't give her an address. They just said you're going to High Grove, but here's how you're going to get there. We drop a pin at like a country shop in the middle of nowhere. You drive to the country shop, you park your cart, you walk into the shop. There is a man posing in the store as the store manager, who was actually an undercover police officer and you get in his cart and he drives you to High Grove.
Speaker 1: I want to do that so bad that Megan and the kids had to do that. They were like walking into the shop and they're just like.
Speaker 4: Just hear the breast.
Speaker 2: Like that, and he's like, you're not on the list.
Speaker 1: You're not on the list. You're not coming in anyway. So that's now you're up to date with all the Megan news.
Speaker 2: I hope you're happy.
Speaker 3: Nicole Kidman has been holidaying in Italy and she was spotted outside her hotel room with a mystery man.
Speaker 2: When we say spotted, we meant.
Speaker 1: She did not post a cryptic, but not yet anyway, she has not posted I'm a dumb She might though.
Speaker 2: Did any of you also think it was George Clooney?
Speaker 4: Oh George, I don't know what.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about. I didn't see them. They are paparazzi images. I don't support it.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know that she was wearing a night Oh damn, she wearing.
Speaker 2: A beautiful silk set.
Speaker 3: So it has now been revealed by page six that the man in question, it's a guy named Michael Reinstein who was a private equity investor and founder of global private equity firm The Regent.
Speaker 2: He sounds rich.
Speaker 3: I think that means rich. I think anything with the word equity means rich.
Speaker 4: Better than public equity, is it?
Speaker 3: So this is the first time we've seen Nicole with someone after has split from Keith Urban and in my head and let me know if it's the same for you guys, private equity guy seems very abnormal for a celebrity to date.
Speaker 2: I always thought celebrity date celebrity, right.
Speaker 4: Not anymore, Not anymore. Breeze Witherspoon is dating a finance man. He's a German private equity financier. His name is Oliver Harman, and they just went official. They've been dating since twenty twenty four, reportedly, but they went public at the premiere of that show l which is a Legally Blonde prequel. They went public in June, and they were also spotted on a lux a yacht on the French Riviera, which sounds horrible.
Speaker 1: Well, these women do not need the money, you know the whole I'm looking for a man in finance situation. They don't need the money. Why are they dating finance?
Speaker 4: OK? I have a theory. I think that these kinds of women there are two reasons why they're attracted to men in finance ariesa Or and Nicole. They are in the prime of their life. They are at the pinnacle of their careers. They need to prove nothing to anyone. They've also got their own routines, their own friendships. They don't want to spend all their time with a new love interest. They want to be doing their own thing and then occasionally coming together with someone to go on a yacht on the French Riviera. Yes, and so the nice thing about private equity slash finance types is these are guys who are still working. They're still having to earn a living. Now it's a very fancy living, but they're like going to work and like getting out a laptop on the yacht and like firing up some emails. And I think they kind of like I think in Nicole or Reese kind of likes the idea that these men have their own lives, that they're not revolving around them. Interesting. And then my second theory is just because all the men their age and Hollywood are dating much younger Wood.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, the half life wife will get to that another time, but they add to that theory.
Speaker 3: There was an article in Vogue last week titled Olivia Rodrigo and her man in Finance. No No, Olivia, No, and it talked about how now she's been seen with the guy who works in private equity, and the piece was all about how even when you're a super rich, successful woman, sometimes it is nice for someone else to get the bill every.
Speaker 1: Now and then. Well, I was going to say that these guys also understand rich. So it's like we're we're going to talk later about how there are certain rules to rich, right in terms of hanging out on yachts and at fancy resorts.
Speaker 4: We know those rules, so we're going to them.
Speaker 2: To you guys.
Speaker 1: But it's like, these guys understand rich, but they don't come with the famous bit, which is the stricky bit and the.
Speaker 4: True the Travis Kelcey of it all. I mean, look, I'd rather Olivia date this guy who has his own job and deal and a bit under the radar than a Jack Antonot.
Speaker 1: Olivia is a deeply creative soul.
Speaker 2: She needs to be with a creative person.
Speaker 4: No, life shouldn't be put into one person, So she has her own creative people that she can.
Speaker 1: Really, she has got some songs on that album. I'm obsessed with about having dated several people who don't have a job, So I think that maybe she's just happy that somebody's got a job.
Speaker 3: To your point, yes, an hooly europic fan of never dating your type, that's true.
Speaker 2: You've called me out on that. That's true.
Speaker 1: I guess I said, like in my mind, I'm imagining, and look how hilarious is it. Midlife lady has opinions on who twenty year old pop stars should date. Like really, not of my business, but in my and I know they'll be out loud of shouting at the phone about this. But my mind, like young finance bros, I imagine they're a bit I probably have my own stereotypes about them. Look at Anniston, she is dating woo woo. Guy says, you've got woo woom, you've got equity, you've got fellow celebrity.
Speaker 2: Which which door are we going to choose?
Speaker 3: It's hard. I just feel like I've seen more and more tiktoks of younger women like financially providing for their boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Really, and that's true.
Speaker 1: There's an article this week the gen zens, Yes, and it's just getting to the point where I'm like, I feel like we've gone the opposite a bit too far when now it's kind of like it feels like these younger women are being taken advantage of by their partners.
Speaker 3: Because they're like equal rights, let me pay, let me pay, and then it's like, wait, I'm only paying. What's going on here?
Speaker 4: So you're in favor of this trend?
Speaker 3: In favor of it?
Speaker 4: After the break, Pauline Hanson and the strategy behind not being a woman's woman. You've probably heard what Pauline Hanson said last week about domestic violence, but we want to talk today about why she said it. So she did an interview on Brisbane's four B See last Wednesday with Gary Hardgrave, and Pauline Hanson has subsequently said that her comments, which are been widely reported from this interview, were taken out of context. So Holly and I had a little chat about it, and we felt that it was important to present the quotes in their full context so you the listener can make up your own mind. So this clip that we're going to hear is Pauline Hanson answering a question from hard Grave, in which he asks her to essentially acknowledge that domestic violence is bad. This came up because Barnaby Joyce, Hanson's deputy, had made some somewhat merely mouthed comments about domestic violence earlier in the week. Let's take a listen. What's your message, Pauline Hanson to bugs who lose their bottle, who get angry and bash and hurt their intimate partners.
Speaker 2: It's wrong. I want you to call it out.
Speaker 4: Can you call it out?
Speaker 6: Well, it is wrong, but it's also a two way street. I'm not saying that just men and women can lose their cruel as well.
Speaker 4: And then, on Friday, an interview that Hansen had done last year with The Broken Father's podcast, which is hosted by Jared Purcell. Those interview comments resurfaced in amidst the controversy around what she had said on Hard Grave Show. Here's the relevant clip from that podcast.
Speaker 7: You've got to wind back a lot of issues to do with the family law court, and what I would say is child support. Go after the child support. A lot of people see it as a cash cow and they don't want to give up custody of the children because they're making more money out of it, especially a lot of these guys that are on you know, good money working in the mining sector or good jobs, construction jobs, that type of thing. They're making good money. So the fact is it's a cash cow.
Speaker 4: There were other comments caught up in this controversy from both interviews. So look, I want to talk about why she's doing this, because it is unusual that who people talk about as potentially down the line could potentially be a woman Prime minister. Why she would be seemingly attacking women in this way. I want to talk about why that is. But I just do have to mention a couple of quick facts about what she said on these podcasts very quickly. Experts say that telling women to just leave domestic violent situations is a fundamental misunderstanding of the dynamic in those situations. According to Australian stats, about four in five family violence offenders in the last year were men. Thirty eight Australian women have been killed this year, according to the Australian Femicide Watch, and the Commonwealth Government has looked into the issue of child support and this sort of allegation that women in particular are using it to enrich themselves, and they have found that overwhelmingly. In fact, the people who are done most badly by the child support system are in fact mothers. So getting those facts out of the way again, I want to talk about why she's saying it, and I guess I want to throw to you first, Holly, for your reactions.
Speaker 1: She also said, didn't she that women shouldn't put up with domestic violence?
Speaker 2: That's one of the things she said, right, yep. And she said they should leave.
Speaker 1: She said that a couple of times, don't put up with it, And she said I've been in that situation myself.
Speaker 4: Yes, And she that was sort of the first time that she's explicitly talked about being in that situation. We obviously have known since her maiden speech in Parliament that she identifies as a single mother who raised four children by herself from two different marriages, but that's the first time that she's explicitly sort of suggested that she was a victim of domestic violence.
Speaker 1: Because obviously those comments too about don't put up with it were very inflammatory as well, because it very squarely puts the responsibility onto the woman for you should leave.
Speaker 2: Why don't you just leave?
Speaker 1: And you know, we've had decades of education about that now about why that is a really dangerous message. So as you've already said most of what she said actually incorrect and inflammatory, I think that's part of the point that it's inflammatory. She for a start, Pauline Hanson, since her very maiden speech is all about saying the inflammatory thing and getting attention.
Speaker 2: She still is.
Speaker 1: She isn't changing course on that, and her targets on a lot of her anti immigration rhetoric over the decades have shifted from Asian Australians to African Australians, to Indigenous Australians to now Islamic Australians. She's shifted that, but this conversation about women and men and men being hard done by in kind of what a certain section of the political scene I guess would call gender issues has never shifted. She's always been on that and I always been quite consistent on that, And I think that part of that is it's very deeply ingrained in Hanson and one nation world view to not be a victim, and even if you literally are a victim, as Hansen appears to have been by her comments, to pull yourself up by your bootstraps, get yourself out of there, move it on. All those things are very deep in that philosophy. And the other thing is that, interestingly, One Nation used to be the bread and body, used to be men overwhelmingly. Only a year ago only five percent of One Nation supporters were women. So she has spent a long time building that base of men of a certain age and stage and life. And that area of right wing politics is much more male dominated and heavy, both internally and externally. So I mean, it's got more male politicians, more male power brokers, and more men voting for them. So she's spent a long time building that base and she's not about to abandon it. Interestingly, in the last year, that gap has changed, those stats have changed a lot, and now for One Nation among women is around twenty five percent, So in one year it's gone from five to twenty five percent. So I think she has a certain level of confidence that now she's speaking for a whole lot of people. Gender is less the defining characteristic of whether or not you'd vote One Nation than where you live, how old you are, and what you do for a living. Those are more defining characteristics. It's interesting because she's not alone in this when other female leaders on the right side of When I say the right side of politics, I mean the political right have come up through the ranks as way back as the late seventies with Margaret Thatcher, who is an iconic right wing female leader. Being a woman is not a factor that they want to talk about very much. There's no as they always will say, we're very you know, they hate identity politics and that includes gender politics. Thatcher, for example, she came up through the ranks of politics at a time when it was very male dominated on the left, you could argue by unions, on the right, by the sort of eternites the public school brigade, and she had to deal with that world. So the last thing you do is bang on about being a woman. You're like, I'm as tough as all you guys. There's nothing different about me. She would not identify as a feminist, she would not deal with any women's issues in inverted commas. And I guess that lots of us think that that has changed. But even in Britain right now, the leader of the Conservative Party is a woman called Kemmy Baidenock, a black British woman.
Speaker 2: She is very similarly.
Speaker 1: Hates feminist rhetoric, hates what she would call identity politics, won't play anything about being a woman. So I think that even something as devastating as family violence and Australia's family violence statistics, as we've talked about recently on the show Stubbornly Not Moving a week when we lost four women two weeks ago, these things are not going anywhere. It's like to talk about them overtly as something that Australian women are concerned about is off brand for a Hanson one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: It's interesting that you say that, like her likability amongst women has grown, because Pauline Hanson has never been in my world. Like I know that from the get go of hearing about her, she would never like rely on someone like me for a vote because I'm Brown, my parents are Indians who migrated to Australia, and she's never just been in my bubble. But the more I hear about her, it is scary that she's getting more and more popular, especially for someone like me with my parents and my family. But at the same time, when I look at all these interviews, like listening to those clips, I don't actually think the context helps her at all because I always sort of had the picture of the person I would think of who would vote for Pauline Hanson, and then she does something and says something that completely contradicts that image I had in my head. So it is interesting that she is, I guess, doesn't want to label herself as someone who's looking out for women's issues, but it also feels like she's going in the direct opposite of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like you mentioned identity politics before, Holly, and how a lot of fire right politicians say they hate identity politics, Well, they hate a particular kind of identity politics. Because Pauline Hanson is all about how dads have been hard done by. One could argue that dad is a form of identity just as potent as mum. But anyways, setting.
Speaker 1: Up so also is the brand of Australianism that one nation is pushing hard. That's an identity. It's a very powerful identity.
Speaker 4: And I think that was a great point about how it's not just that she's anti feminist. Now there has been a shift where she has become almost pro pro men's rights, is how I would put it.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's a shift though, I think that that used to be her bread and buttery.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I think she's just more avert about it. Maybe it's just that the global mood is now matching what she's been saying since her maiden speaks to Parliament back in nineteen ninety seven. Because you mentioned, like some other global leaders, Georgia Maloney, who is the first female Prime Minister of Italy. She is the head of a party called Brothers of Italy. Now I don't think, I don't speak Italian, but that doesn't sound like a super welcoming party to women. And she is far right. She's anti immigration, she's anti LGBT rights, she is of course avowedly anti feminist. And then you've got Marie La Penn in France, another far right politician who distances herself from the idea of feminism. She is a twice divorced single mother, just like Pauline Hanson, and just like Pauline Hanson. Analyst is saying that the reason why she has become such a powerful political figure is because she softens that far right rhetoric and policy. People think, how bad can it be if a woman's in charge?
Speaker 1: That's really interesting because when I was reading about the sort of satcher appeal and the sort of hard woman appeal, which very much what Hanson is. Being a mother is part of that identity, right, but it's a very specific kind of like you know, as you said that Hanson from her get go has always been I'm a mother of four, I'm a hard battler, I've done it tough, I pulled myself through it. But it's a version of mother that is kind of like defender of the family, mama bear, almost like a very almost aggressive kind of role. And that one reason why Hanson seems to be scapegoating women, or that's certainly the way that you could read those domestic violence comments by suggesting that single mothers are all on the make, you know, or trying to get rich and you know, commit welfare fraud, or that they should just get out of those bad relationships. It's kind of something for many people feels like a betrayal of women. It can be seen that these female politicians are making something of what we call a patriarchal bargain, which is where in order to get individual power, and we often talk about this in terms of beauty standards, for example, in order to get individual power women will buy into a structure or a belief system that is fundamentally patriarchal and not great for women. And I know that's lots of like gender studies, what are wan kind of language, But the bottom line is you suck up to the dudes.
Speaker 2: That's basically the way to do it.
Speaker 1: Is you suck up to the dudes to get in and to get into a position of power. And maybe those are your true beliefs, absolutely, but also maybe there's some strategy in there in terms of, like to get in with the big boys, you have to play with the big boys almost. I want to come through the ranks of this very male dominated side of politics.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of.
Speaker 1: Women winging out there feminism has gone too far. I know a lot of you guys think that, and I know that the Mega movement feels that too. Is that maybe their targets for derision in other ways are quite divided, whether they think it's some you know, different races or ethnicities or whatever, but they can all seem to agree that women base have all got a bit too big for their boots at the expense of men. And it's all something a bit depressing in the fact that like dismissing traditionally female concerns is a unifying factor.
Speaker 4: I think that's the answer to your question of why it's such an interesting observation that you made that one nation support amongst women has ramped up at the very time that we are hearing more from one nation about these kinds of anti women, or at least anti feminist policies and positions. And one answer as to why that is because it seems confusing. Why would women be supporting a party that is explicitly not fighting for them? And I guess the answer could be that the far right is just as divided as the far left. They've got lots of different concerns, whether it be they don't want AI regulated, they're very anti abortion, they don't like immigration. One way to unite them all, including the women by the way, in that in that movement, is by saying, but we can all agree that feminism it all went downhill with me too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: After the break, the comedian with some very blunt advice about how to be a decent guest, Chelsea Handler. She is a comedian, a show host, a mogul. Do you know I was trying to remember where I first came across Chelsea Handler. She's very funny, very biding.
Speaker 3: For me, it was literally just like her stand up, like she is so big in stand up.
Speaker 1: And then she had a talk show for a while. She now has a finger and a lot of different pies. He of course has a podcast. She is also a very pissed off auntie. It's a northern summer. As discussed, everybody's on holiday with their financier boyfriends, their fancy places. And Chelsea's been on holiday. But she's been well. Actually she's been on a few holidays because I follow her on social and she knows how to holiday, this woman.
Speaker 2: But one of the.
Speaker 1: Holidays she's been on was with her family. She took an unspecified number of her five siblings and her many now adultish nieces and nephews to a house on Martha's Vineyard for a lovely all all included, glorious holiday.
Speaker 2: Martha's Vineyard's like.
Speaker 4: It's where the Obamas have a house, all the famous people.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful, fancy people. I'm sure many financiers have a house there. Bell Burdon's book is about Martha's Vineyard. Anyway, So Chelsea got a house from a friend and she took her family there. They did not behave well, specifically the nieces and nephews. She posted, I'm not going to read the whole thing because no shit. She talking about millennial carousel dumps on Instagram. She's definitely gen x and she went about eight slides deep very it was Brooklyn Beckham. It was a Brooklyn and it was addressed to all my nuggets, who I assume are her nieces and nephews. And she's said it's always a sign you are about to get in big trouble. She started it by saying, I want to start this email because she reposted an email she'd send to the family by telling each of you that I love you and that I could never unlove you.
Speaker 2: You're like, oh, what's coming next?
Speaker 1: And then she got into it. So it's with great love and hope that we can use this as an opportunity to get better. Our family is dysfunctional and that's what families are.
Speaker 2: What we need to work on.
Speaker 1: However, are manners. So specifically, then Chelsea goes into a list of things that she thinks everybody should do.
Speaker 4: But think if I was sending this as an email, I.
Speaker 2: Think she did send it as an email and went public with it.
Speaker 3: I wonder if she got some like snargy replies to the email.
Speaker 2: Imagine it.
Speaker 4: She probably didn't get any replies.
Speaker 1: She starts here, and I just want to say, like, as this has got big auntie energy, because it's like your kids are disgusting to assist us. Say hello to the people who are working in the house. This is posh person stuff. This is you need to acknowledge their exist stance out of decency and respect. This goes for my house in La or Ma, Lorca, or on the vinyard or wherever we are. Say hello, right. I treat my employees like family, and I expect you to do the same. It is the nice and decent thing to do to consider the other people who are on holiday with you. That means not having second helpings before everybody else does, not finishing the bottles of Belvidere that I purchased, that's fancy vodka, or ginger ale that I flew with across the country that they don't sell on the vineyard.
Speaker 3: In this whole post is just a big humble brain, and it really is. But I love this bit.
Speaker 1: She says a good rule of thumb for guests is never finish anything. Don't finish the picture of Margarita's, don't take the last thing off the plate. Do not roll your eyes repeatedly at my friends.
Speaker 2: I imagine.
Speaker 3: Okay, when I was reading this, I was like, oh, yeah, this is good. This is good to teach your kids. This is really nice. And then I get to the part where she says, don't drink copious amounts of alcohol, and she's like, she's like, you can have drinking within a reasonable amount.
Speaker 1: And then I was like, wait a minute, is she talking about adults. Are these kids adult?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: They are.
Speaker 3: They're like rolling their eyes at people, and they're not washing their dishes.
Speaker 4: To be fair, her friends are probably really annoying.
Speaker 2: You are not at home. You are a guest.
Speaker 1: She says, do not litter on the grounds of someone else's house. So I think what she's talking about is like entitled young adults.
Speaker 4: Ye.
Speaker 2: Right, So she's upset about the way they've treated the house.
Speaker 1: Then she also says, I understand not everyone wants to hang out with the family twenty four to seven, but I am going to require that when you are with the family, like during a game, or a movie. You are not on your phone, you are not playing video games. You have the entire day to do whatever you want. You can make the time to be present with the family for an hour or two at night, said every parent always, And then she says, I know you're probably rolling your eyes, but I promise you everything I'm saying will help you in life. She also tells them off for not treating their mothers with enough respect. Ah, good, big auntie energy. I know your moms can drive you crazy moms obviously, but you cannot speak to your mother's the way you do sometimes, especially not in front of other people. You who are only going to regret treating your moms like that, also help them. I do not bring my sisters on holiday.
Speaker 2: To do the dishes.
Speaker 1: WHOA, you are old enough to understand how to reassess how you want to be in the world. So basically, she is giving them a massive serve. Please say please and thank you every opportunity. Clean up after yourself.
Speaker 4: Da da da da da.
Speaker 1: It's a decent and polite thing to do, and it will help you in life, and so on and so forth. What do we think about such a public family dressing down and does Chelsea Handler have a point about annoying entitled guests?
Speaker 3: I say one hundred percent, because she talks about these family holidays as if it's something that they've always gone on, and she makes it very clear in the post where she says, I'm the one with the money, yes, like it's my Like, it's very expensive to do this for you, guys, be more appreciative. She also ended in like a seemingly threat.
Speaker 1: I don't care how much her family annoys you. It's the only one we've got blah blah blah. But she basically says, I won't bring you again. Yeah, if you don't do better, I'm not going to bring you again. I was never exposed to these kinds of vat vacations growing up. You're experiencing something that most people never will get to experience.
Speaker 3: So I think it's really funny because she's probably seen this from like the kids since they were babies, and she's like, Okay, they're babies, it's fine, this happens. Their kids, It's fine, this happens. Now these are like twenty one year old, and she's like, now I can say something. Now you're an adult, and I can put you in the line of fire because you are not behaving like a normal person.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's a tension here, because what I saw when she posted this was a lot of rich and famous people liking it and saying yes, I'm gonna put this on the fridge, Kristen Bell, Chloe Kardashian, someone else I've forgotten or like liking it and saying yes. And I think that speaks to attention. That's back to what we're talking about with the finance Bros, which is when someone in the family makes it big, like makes it basically has the money and goes I'm going to treat the family right. Everyone else the family doesn't necessarily know how to behave rich, so when they see free drinks, it's like that same how do you behave at a free bar?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: If you go to a free bar all the time for work or whatever, then you're quite cool around a free bar. If you never get to go to a free bar, you're on the shots, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: That's never been an ordervatory. I haven't chased it exactly.
Speaker 1: So do you think that's part of this? Do you think that the nieces and nephews are like jugs of margaritis.
Speaker 4: That's a great point. I feel icky about it because she's also announcing to us all how generous she is. Like, in this supposed like affirmation of the importance of treating people with respect and decency, she's also telling us, well, I took my whole family on holiday, and doesn't that make me such a magnanimous, wonderful person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is definitely a humble brag in this, But I also think she speaks for a lot of people who watch, particularly maybe particularly child free people, but not necessarily, who watch the way that kids, even grown up kids, treat their mothers in particular, and are outraged by it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because she can't say it directly to her siblings, so she's like now waiting for her nieces and neverviews to become adult so she can talk to them as adults.
Speaker 2: She's like, your kids are brats, is what she wants to say.
Speaker 3: They're complaining about their food while they're.
Speaker 4: Eating the same. Don't you think she's also criticizing her sisters in that, Like, Holly, if someone criticizes your kids, regardless of their age, it is also a criticism of you.
Speaker 2: Oh, any of you.
Speaker 4: You're the one who raised them.
Speaker 1: And that's why you often notice that really fancy people like I remember Victoria Beckham for years, whenever she was in interviews, this is before all the kids got their own profiles, and people would ask her about her kids, she'd say, what I'm most proud of is their manner. She would always talk about that, and I always thought that was a little bit interesting, and then I remembered probably the life they live. They're always in fancy restaurants, there's always staff around, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: They have been brought.
Speaker 1: Up to be very respectful of that world, because otherwise it reflects really badly on posh. Right, if she's in a restaurant and Brooklyn and Cruise and whatever a wrestling under the table and rolling their eyes and everybody, it reflects badly on her. And you're right, Amelia, we're very sensitive about that. If somebody calls out one of your kids for being a brat, part of you is like, well, I know they're being a brat, but then my brat back off.
Speaker 4: And also the man is thing. I think the reason why you felt that way about what Victoria said is because manners are very much something that other people can judge your parenting. Yes, it's less like if she just wonded, Like, what I'm most proud of is how good they are at chess, Like that's a harder thing for a stranger or an acquaintance to assess then whether or not they say please and thank you. And I'm not saying manners unimportant. They are important, but they're also they're also the most direct sort of performance review of what you're doing as a parent.
Speaker 3: And you can how that she is just really embarrassed about their behavior, like coming to the posh back inside of things, because in the post she does say you can't speak to your mom's like that, or if you do do it at home, don't do.
Speaker 4: It in front of other people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so she doesn't actually care.
Speaker 2: She just like, just don't do it in front of me.
Speaker 1: Do you think never finish out a thing is a good rule of thumb for a guest. I think that I was quite I think that's quite clever.
Speaker 4: I think it's really cool.
Speaker 3: What depends what it is, like you're gonna let it take it's like then it's just gonna go away.
Speaker 4: But I also feel like Chelsea Handla literally just walks around with you know how King Charles famously has someone travel with him everywhere who makes martinis. Yeah, that brings along a little mobile martini cut. She's like that except for Margaarita's. So if you finish the picture, don't worry, there's another one coming.
Speaker 1: Do you think that Chelsea Handler's sisters are speaking to her today after she did that and it went completely viral?
Speaker 2: How would you be?
Speaker 3: I'd be like, hey, Sis, sorry we didn't reply to your email quick enough. We all have jobs, were all really really busy. Can we just talk about how you posted it on Instagram? The kids are really upset. We promise we'll be better behaved than the next family holiday. We'd love to hear from you.
Speaker 2: Thanks. I bet they're not good enough.
Speaker 4: It's been good.
Speaker 2: Next year, I bet it's not happening.
Speaker 1: That is all we have time for today, out loudest, thank you for being here with us on this Monday. As always, we're going to be back in your ears tomorrow. At least m and I are with Mia and some scoreless.
Speaker 2: We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Bye bye. Mamma May acknowledges to traditional owners of the land on which we recorded this podcast.