Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to bathera mea out loud.
Speaker 2: It's what women are actually talking about on Friday, the thirty first of July.
Speaker 1: My name's Holly Wayine Wright.
Speaker 3: I'm me a Friedman and I'm.
Speaker 1: M Vernham and here's what made our gender.
Speaker 4: For today's show, Dolly Alderton has shared her single women manifesto for anyone who is struggling with dating right now, which I think is every single person.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not really you're not a single person.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'm not a single Oh every single person.
Speaker 1: I'm a single He's.
Speaker 2: An English fun The biggest best selling books tend to have one thing in common, and it's not great news for women.
Speaker 3: Or is it. And it's Friday, so we've got the things that we've actually been buying and wearing and slapping on our faces. Yay, it's recos.
Speaker 2: But first Emily Vernon, Oh my god, are actually Oh?
Speaker 1: But first me a Friedman?
Speaker 3: No Christ on a bike. This is what happens when I don't have a fidget toy. Things just turn to ship and.
Speaker 1: You've got a seating chart update for me.
Speaker 5: I'm so.
Speaker 1: Friday. It's Friday.
Speaker 3: I cannot work with amateurs.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking about as much. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 4: We do have a seating update, so if you if you don't know, you should have because last week we talked about where we sit on the podcast and Holly said quite aggressively that she'd love to sit in the middle seat. There's a power seat, the seed that I'm sitting in currently, that me and you were sitting in last week.
Speaker 3: I was, but then I remember that I prefer my profile to my front on, so it's not the power seat for me.
Speaker 4: You wanted to give it to me, So we did a poll out louders on our Instagram. Also, if you don't follow us on Instagram, please follow us because we do a lot of socials on that behind the scenes, lot of behind the scenes, and we asked you to vote on who you think should get the middle seat. Eighty seven percent of people vot and thinks you should be here.
Speaker 3: That's not fair.
Speaker 1: I'm here, and yet here I am.
Speaker 3: Well, that's like us bringing a knife to a gunfight because Holly is always the favorite. Like whatever time, anyway, wait taken, keep voting, keep voting.
Speaker 1: Maybe one day we'll get that.
Speaker 3: Anyway, In case you missed it, I have news about leg hair. Tokyo is having a very brutal summer. I was there probably about a month or six weeks ago, and I crammed my trip in quickly because I knew it was going to be super hot at this time of year. And so it is forty degrees over forty degrees most days, and the governor has told public servants that they can ditch the suit and wear shorts to work. Oh, however, it's not that nice. Thirty percent of Japanese women say they I don't like it, and some are even claiming leg hair harassment.
Speaker 1: Oh, leg hair harassment. How does that go?
Speaker 3: Well, there is a word for it, which I love. It's called sunnihara, and that buying the Japanese words for shin and harassment together, which I love. But the twist is that this term was actually not coined by women. It was pioneered by men's hair removal clinic in Japan in twenty fourteen. So it's like the manufactured insecurity playbook aimed at men for once welcome boys. We've been here since about nineteen twenty exactly.
Speaker 1: God, I love.
Speaker 4: When I was reading about this, I saw an interview with someone who does work at a hair removal clinic in Japan, and they said that they have had an uptick in men wanting to remove their leg hair to make the women around them feel more comfortable.
Speaker 3: It's true because Japanese people are very polite. I'm here to testify. I experienced it myself.
Speaker 2: I'm still stuck on what leg hair harassment looks like. Is it that you might be on a train and their leg hair may rub up against your leg or is it just looking at it?
Speaker 3: Looking at it's visual? I think it's visual. I don't know. They wouldn't be touching on a train. I mean, even though the train can be quite crowded. It's not so much that I think that it's just they don't want to see it. It's considered too intimate. They don't want to see men's leg hair.
Speaker 1: I like a hairy leg on a man. I I'm just going to say it.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 1: What's the feeling about it? I mean, I know you like hairy chat.
Speaker 2: I like it's just the general hairiness. The thing that's funny is that Brent, my partner, he hates wearing long pants. It's like one of those schoolboys who would just like to wear shorts all the time. And so there is like one month in the middle of winter in it now where he will have to wear long pants and he just it's like he's a dog wearing clothes. You know how you always say about Jesse when she's wearing Yeah, it's just like he's always like pulling out it, like he would wear shorts all the time. And sometimes you just have to say not appropriate. Baby, if we're going to a fancy restaurant, you're going to a wedding, something no one needs to see you. So I'm happy to hear about this because now I've got a new term to say, don't harass people.
Speaker 1: True if you like hair.
Speaker 3: The great news about Brent is that it's actually the same pair of pants just zips the bottom to the shorts. You know, the pants like cargoy pants that zip and become musical.
Speaker 2: He pulls them off like he's a bushwalker. And they have those like pants that can be short or can be long.
Speaker 3: Can also be made into a tint if you need shelter in an emergency.
Speaker 1: Same, Oh my god, I want a pay bless him. Keep your leg hair to yourself.
Speaker 2: You might have seen some headlines around about the UK book charts and specifically the takeaway that dead women sell books. Author Wendy Jones made an Instagram post that traveled with speed about how on any given week, So the particular week that she was talking about. In Britain, they post the Sunday Times bestseller list every week. We don't really have an exact equivalent of that here, but they post a Sunday Times bestseller list every week. And she wrote a post and then subsequently a Financial Times feature about how in that particular week, but pretty much in every week. Seven to nine of the books in the top ten fiction all featured a dead woman of some kind. Now, right, so everybody goes, WHOA, that's terrible, and obviously it is. Titles range from historical fiction to domestic noire, police procedurals, so on and so on and so on. Writers from Robert Galbraith, who is JK Rowling, She's in the top ten, but also Lisa Jewel, Dan Brown, lots of different kinds of writers.
Speaker 3: Now, sorry, did you say that JK Rowling is Robert Gulbraith. Yes, she doesn't write under her name.
Speaker 2: Well, she has a series of books like crime books that she writes under Robert Galbraith, and they do very well and she's in the top ten. Okay, right, So Wendy wrote this post. She said, eighty four percent of the books people brought and read in the UK this week involved a woman being murdered for entertainment. What is going on here?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: On the face of it, that's very confronting. We've talked a lot about people talk a lot about how throwing a body in the beginning of a TV show or a movie, and very often the female body is a trope that's been with us forever and it's kind of disgusting. But the nuance in this list, a lot of writers came out and said, hold on. Most of the people who've written these books, not necessarily these specific books, but the books that populate these lists are written by women. Most of the people who buy these books are women. More than eighty percent of the fiction buying public a female right. So if women are writing these books and women are consuming these books, what does that say about the idea that a lot of them are about female crime? Because it kind of up ends the neat narrative that like men are using violence against women as a tantalizing plot point before I get into whether or not the same is true here in Australia, What are our first thoughts about that?
Speaker 4: Well, when I was reading about this, I was thinking of my favorite books, and two books I came into mind was Mela Luca that we did for book club and a book that I've given for the book giveaway that we're doing right now at Mama Mia Yellow Face by R. F. Kuan, and they both center around a woman's death. And when I was trying to analyze why I found those books so appealing and why they're my favorite books, I think it's because it's when I read about a woman's death in a book and a novel, it's so different to what we experience in real life, where the whole story is revolved around that and her life, and like the investigation into a death and like the ramifications of what happens after she dies. It's like a full story with all of these characters just focusing on her death and her as a person, and that's never reflected in real life, where it's kind of like feels a bit of like a takeaway moment.
Speaker 3: What do you mean I don't understand?
Speaker 4: As in, like when a character dies in a book and that whole story's revolved around that death. It's something that I've never seen happen in real life, where if a woman dies in real life, we just know her name, what happened, and then we move on to the next woman.
Speaker 3: Well, so you feel like it's behind the scenes a little I feel like it's behind.
Speaker 4: The scenes a little bit. And it also like shows that when you immerse yourself in a story, you feel like that there are all these people that exist who want to find out why she died, how she died, what her life.
Speaker 3: But couldn't you do that without immerse yourself in a story without someone dying.
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I think it's more about like the control, and it's something that's so different that's reflected in real life. And I think it's similar to why so many women love true crime in the same vein, because there's all this research and attention put on the story that they haven't seen.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's a name for this, and it's called threat rehearsal. So it's that women we're sort of programmed in a way to retell stories about terrible things happening to other women and read them and you know, through word of mouth, rehearse and prepare ourselves and protect ourselves against that happening to us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe it's that, But I also think it's just about the focus, Like it's just the focus on the woman's life, and I find that.
Speaker 1: Like always just a character.
Speaker 2: Like it's interesting because some of the writers who've come out to defend, well, not defend, I don't want this to sound in any way like people are defending frivolous use of women's lives or violence against women or whatever, but defend the fact that this is such an explored topic in fiction. Some of them have said something very similar to what you're saying, and which is that The thing is is that very often in true crime detective procedural books, you get an answer, so you get you get the crime, and then you get investigation of it, and then you get the baddie gets caught. Like that's nearly always what happens, right, and that's very satisfying, and we like stories that like justice is done, good bang. And the thing is too is a lot of these books are very different in terms, even the two you mentioned then, right, Samala Luka, which was the biggest selling day in Australia last year, written by an Indigenous author. It focused on the death of an Indigenous woman investigated by an Indigenous cop. It was really interesting about a particular community yellow Face. That's an accidental death, different thing altogether, right, So it's in a way saying all these books have something in common. It isn't necessarily true in Australia though, right If you look at the best selling books of last year, they do bear this out, generally speaking. Jane Harper last one out right crime book, Gravity, Let Me Go by Trent Dalton crime book, right, Mad Mabel by Sally Herpworth Crime Book. But those three books are so different, like they're so different in what they are, what they're trying to say, how they explore it, the tone. It feels like a very simplistic way to look at that, because if women are writing most of these books and buying most of these books for all kinds of different reasons. Another reason is just about stakes, right, is that when you're writing or reading fiction, you often want the stakes to be very high. And the true crime obsession that has sort of gripped everybody over the past twenty years has spun off into lots of different directions, and it feels like something that we want to investigate for the reason that you said threat rehearsal. We want to see resolutions too, but also we know that it's real life as well.
Speaker 1: It's relatable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's kind of like proof too when it does happen in real life. It's kind of proof of like when you sear these stories of you going like oh, when I hear these stories, it's like, I want to know what to do if I'm in that situation. Yeah, or it's proved that, like it does happen to women in real life as well.
Speaker 2: That's what Sally said. I asked, So, I asked Sally Hepworth. She has got obviously one of the best selling books of last year. I'd Mabel still is in the best selling top ten. That book has been so huge. She often writes crime, not always women on women, but she writes crime, but her books are so much more than that. And I said to her, why do you think women love to read about this? And she said pretty much what he has said. She said, we know it's a real life threat in our lives. We know it's something that happens and we want to protect ourselves almost by exploring it in a way that is safe and accessible.
Speaker 3: It's not just novels, though, And what disturbs me more is the genre of TV shows which have been going for a really long time. And Laura in Order, for example, is pretty much always that it's a what's called procedural there's a murder at the beginning, it's almost always a woman. True crime podcasts almost always tell gruesome stories about women.
Speaker 1: What disturbs me the.
Speaker 3: Most, and I can't believe this is actually on air, is Laura and Order SVU. I can't like Special Victims Unit. That's a show entirely about the crimes around sexual assault murder of women. And to me, that is just the most I mean, I guess it's an aspect of threat rehearsal, and I don't know what the demographic breakdown is between male and female viewers of that, but to me, that is just like sexual assault porn. It's I find that really grotesque.
Speaker 2: I agree, And I also think when we were just talking about why women are the biggest consumers of true crime content, which they generally are, and the biggest readers of these kind of crime books, women are smart Newsplash.
Speaker 1: I don't know if anyone needing that book.
Speaker 2: And we can tell when we're consuming content whether our lives and our safety is being taken almost in a titillating fashion. If you watch like old movies from the seventies and eighties about that have crimes in them, the gratuitous nature of the way that women will turn up in those shows horor in horrific circumstances, you can almost feel that it is designed to be exciting, right, what do you mean exploitative? So it'll be you know, let's open on a shot of a naked woman in a shit and then something terrible happens to her.
Speaker 1: You know, it's still that like those shows are.
Speaker 2: But I feel like what I'm getting to is that I think that women can understand deeply the difference between that kind of exploitative violence and reading a book that thoughtfully explains a story that does feature a death.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean? They're not necessarily the same thing.
Speaker 3: Do you have pressure to put dead bodies in your stories in your novel I have had.
Speaker 2: I have had that because the thing that's interesting is that crime as a genre has become so enormous. Remember, publishing is a business, right, So most publishers want, obviously one to published books that sell, and the most sure fire way of doing that, in as far as anything is sure fire, is to.
Speaker 1: Look at what's sold before.
Speaker 2: So that's why when there is one, you know, cozy crime as they call it, that's what Richard Osmond writes.
Speaker 3: For example, he doesn't write books where women are murdered.
Speaker 1: Well, a lot.
Speaker 2: Different people are murdered, sometimes women, sometimes men, but they're not it's they call it cozy crime. And sal might be a little bit cozy crime in what she does, which is that there might be there'll probably be a crime as part of the storyline. Yeah, but they're very character whosome. It's not gratuitous, it's not gory. And then the plot of the book is much more about the characters, the procedures that they'll have something to say. If you think about Mad Mabel by Sally Hepworth, right, there is a woman's death in that book, but that book has so many interesting things to say about what can happen to a young woman. And the hero is female and all the great characters are female, and it's a very it's a very feminist book, right, really anyway, crime being massive and now splintering off into some kind of procedural cozy, all these kinds of genres. Everybody's like, we want more of that, more of that. I kind of think maybe we're getting to a tipping point with it.
Speaker 3: To me, it's about what is propulsive about a book is mystery and unraveling a mystery, so you keep turning the pages to find out what happened. Like even with Yesteryear, I can't remember if anyone was murdered in that or not, but I kept turning the pages to find out how this time shift thing happened and to unravel the mystery of what was seated at the beginning. And there's no higher stakes than someone dying, And particularly when you then get to know their character through the course of the book and you know that someone's died or you know that they've died, then it's really propulsive. So isn't it, in part way just a fictional device. It's a plot device.
Speaker 1: It absolutely is.
Speaker 2: But then I think that's one of the things that people object to, is they like, we're using.
Speaker 3: We care more about the murder of women than we do about the murder of men. Is that when I say we care more, I mean it feels higher stakes, like or is it that women relate more? Because well, I think female readers, and.
Speaker 4: If the audience is female readers, I personally would care more if it was woman who died versus a man who died. But I understand what you were saying about comparing it with the TV show. I do feel like they're two separate audiences. And with the TV show, like, even when I see these books get made into movies and TV show, I noticed that they have to lean way more into the cozy to not make it so extrested. I was thinking about that with The Thursday Murder Club, and they had to in the show. They had to really lean into the cozy element of it and the setup and the set design and stuff for the death to not seem so like.
Speaker 3: So it's not it's the death almost is not a main character. Like when you just said that about Mad Mabel and sales books, I was like, wait, did people just sell it write books where women die? Like I couldn't even think of a single yeah example of that, Because you're right, that's not the point. That's kind of like a plot point, but it is not the point, it's not the central narrative.
Speaker 4: No, exactly out loud as in a moment, a single girl's manifesto that everyone needs to read.
Speaker 3: You keep saying manifesto, but maybe that's okay?
Speaker 4: Is it manifesto? Manifest isn't there an esther? No, so good? Okra, Sorry wait wait, I've got the giggles.
Speaker 3: Wait you can have the giggles. It's sorry, Okay, okay, okay, manifesto. Sorry, sorry, you thought it was manifesto.
Speaker 1: I thought it was manifesto.
Speaker 2: It is really not like this is in my mind it's manifesto.
Speaker 3: There is in it.
Speaker 4: There's just not two manifesto manifesto.
Speaker 1: Moving on now, she's got the giggle.
Speaker 3: It's okay. We'll add it to the list of things none of us can pronounce.
Speaker 1: To say this word so many more time.
Speaker 3: Do you have other words that you can't pronounce?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, permanent, I say sometimes say is a permanent? But it's fine. You're amongst friends.
Speaker 3: Oh, exciting news for me. The premiere of Victoria and resigned this week.
Speaker 1: We can't go back there, come back there.
Speaker 5: No, I don't want to be thirty again, but I would take forty four. I think I think it's life starts at forty four.
Speaker 1: Who tell me why why forty four was so good?
Speaker 5: Because you come into yourself in a way that you're not You're no longer trying to please everybody else. I do have some girls now that I've mentored who are in their early thirties who've gotten to it sooner, But for me, it was forty four where I lucked in.
Speaker 3: That was Oprah on Keihy Palmer's podcast last week. She was asked by Keiki if she'd go back to being thirty. I don't know what the context is, but it was a really interesting question because what she said about the ideal age, she was very specific forty four, and it made me think and wonder about that, about the age that you'd go back to if you could choose, And I really liked her reasoning. You know, there was recently a survey where two thousand people in America, men and women, were asked what age they'd be forever if they could choose. And what's really interesting is that it was thirty.
Speaker 1: Six, thirty six.
Speaker 3: What happens at thirty six, Well, it's a little hard to say, because if you had separated that between men and women, It would probably be different because women are more likely if you say what age would they like to be and what age do they think is the best age if you ask them sort of obviously the older they are, the more ages they have to choose from. But women who are older will say fifties, and that's much older than men will say usually a younger age. And the reason this is, which I think is so interesting, it's around freedom. But it's sort of been speculated that that's the first time than it's not about your body and how you look. It's the first time people aren't demanding things of you because your kids have grown up, you might be divorced, or you might you're not in that kind of high need state if you've had kids, and if you haven't had kids, you're not probably thinking about having kids because that's off the table. So it's really interesting because you might think that every person would say the age that society tells you you're most valuable, which for women would be probably twenties, right.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 4: I love this question. It's a question that I always play with like my extended family, like we always do this at every family Readunia, and there's so many of us. But It's really interesting when I ask like my older aunties and uncles, especially all of them above fifty, because I've noticed a lot of my uncles would say their age that they'd go back to, or their like glory age was always in their twenties or like late teens, and it's always around like friends, being in school, doing bought, being like the best in college, no responsibilities, no responsibilities. And for all my aunties, it's always in their like mid thirties early forties, where they still have their kids at home and it's always surrounded my family. And for men, it's like when I was single, and yeah, that's to look after.
Speaker 1: That's interesting.
Speaker 2: What about how do you feel about the idea that life starts at forty four, which is still fourteen years away for you, so you're not even living real life here.
Speaker 4: I feel like the older I get, the further it moves up, Like you guys like, oh no, it's actually fifty.
Speaker 1: Oh no, it's actually sixty.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: What do you think about the trade off between as a woman, Obviously, if you're younger, your body might look better, so physically you might get more validation from society about how you look, but mentally is your twenties, your happiest.
Speaker 2: Well, I know any women who would say twenties exactly, I wouldn't say twenties.
Speaker 1: I would like, it wouldn't even occur to me.
Speaker 3: But for me, and women don't. Women don't take twenties generally.
Speaker 2: So I think that tells you that that isn't important, really, isn't it, Because when I think about what age I would go back to, it's impossible to unpick it from your own life, because I think I might choose to go to freedom years, in which case it would be about thirty two for me definitely at post thirty would have to be And then I think, oh, but what about little kid these years? Because now I'm old, My kids are old enough that.
Speaker 3: I would nostalgic for those, So I'm like.
Speaker 1: That would be forty two.
Speaker 2: And then I think, maybe like when my parents are really healthy, you know what I mean, Like I can. It's about traveling back to a time in your life, and I think to Oprah's point, I mean, it's it would be very cheesy to say right now, I'm living my best life right now, but in lots of ways I am like, you know, she's right about your feeling a certain level of self assurance, and you know your careers in a certain place, and you're doing things you want to do and all those things.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: And all the young petarents who we work with would kill me for that answer. But there is a bit of me these days. I watched the kids move away. That's like I'd like to travel back to them being really little. I'd like to take a holiday there. I'd like to, like, yes, the year, you know, I'd like to take a holiday for just a few days when the kids were really little and cute, and take a holiday when I was like, my parents are really well and we were having lots of adventures together, and I'd love to take little holidays in bits.
Speaker 3: Of Oh, that would be so lovely. I mean, that's what grandparenting is, I guess it is. It's like taking a little holiday in little children so you.
Speaker 1: Can give them back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that. It's so interesting what you said. I'm about men say teens or early twenties. No, women, no, say that. So the biggest group was women, saying fifties and twenties were the smallest group out of four hundred and sixty sixth women who asked the question. Eleven said they were happiest before they were twenty eleven women, do.
Speaker 2: You think that part of that twenty Do you think that tells us that the whole idea of the youth and beauty piece that you mentioned before me that.
Speaker 1: It just fucks with us. Yeah, so like one.
Speaker 2: Of us ever feel fontiful. So when you're wrestling with all that and am I enough? And am I good enough? Which which I'm not going to pretend goes away magically, I don't think that's true. I think you're always wrestling with it to a point. But it's interesting that when we've got the most of that, we're still really riddled with anxiety about it. We don't long for those days. How many times people say I wouldn't be a teenager again for a quid?
Speaker 3: I think what's interesting also about your fifties is that a lot of your choices have closed off right, and there can be a lot of angst with a lot of choice. That's why women should never have been given the vote or control over our own finances or deciding we marry. So in your twenties it's about who you're going to be, and in your thirties, You're a bit like am I doing this right? And the very wise stage? Jennifer and Neiston once said you need to have therapin your thirties so that you can enjoy your forties. And I think that's true too, because by you forties, I get why Oprah said forty four, because I think when you go into your late forties, I personally had a lot of doubt creep back in again, like I found with perimenopause and everything. Who am I identity? I got really lost again in my late forties and early fifties. I feel like I'm getting back to it mostly now, but I found that time almost reminiscent of my twenties in that who am I? Am I doing this right? What am I meant to be? I'm not really sure.
Speaker 2: Does this make you hopeful for your future?
Speaker 1: For my forties? Yeah, can't wait?
Speaker 3: Yeah, way, forties are really good.
Speaker 4: Also, Dolly Alderton has an agony on column in the Sunday Times where she answers dilemmas, and last week someone wrote in saying, dear Dolly, I'm thirty two with a great career, but very very single. So this woman who wrote in say that she loves her career. She's found her place at work, but it's not the source of her joy, and all she wants to do is get into a long term loving relationship. And she also has kids on her mind, and she says that she doesn't want kids unless she finds someone who's like a partner that she can have kids with. So Dolly gave a list of advice, and some of the things she says was get ahead of your fertility, like.
Speaker 3: Just her manifesto, not.
Speaker 1: Yet, it's not her manifesto yet.
Speaker 4: Some of the other things she said was get ahead of your fertility, make single girlfriends who are also in their thirties.
Speaker 2: Sorry, what does that mean, get ahead of your fertility, freeze your eggs, or just like check it out, just get.
Speaker 4: Get a handle and get a handle on it before you meet someone. Make single girlfriends who are also in their thirties asked to be set up, which I know Amelia would definitely say yes.
Speaker 1: To change the pattern.
Speaker 4: So don't just date your type or people in your area or people on the same app that you're using. Don't obsess over your age. And then she wrote, write a single girl's manifesto. So she said when in years even twenty twenty two, she got together with a friend over Spicy Marks and they wrote everything that they wanted from dating, and she said the premise was what we would accept from dating and what we wouldn't how we wanted to balance the task of looking for a partner while remaining present and grateful in our lives as they were.
Speaker 3: I love that because it's not about what they wanted in a man particularly or a partner. It was what they wanted in the process, in.
Speaker 4: The process of dating, And she says, I think it helped us shed some panic and find more calm, joyful intention in our single dim. When I read this manifesto exactly what she said, I immediately felt calm, Like it's one of those big pieces where you read all of these little points that she has and it makes you realize there are women also in their thirties who are going through the same thing you're going through mentally we're dating, and then putting it all on a piece of paper just makes you go, okay, okay, kind of tellus, tell us what's on there. So she shared hers and her friends, and she said, we are open to connecting with people we least expect. We are not driven by long held ideas of who our future partners should be.
Speaker 3: No DJs, no preconceptions except DJs.
Speaker 1: DJs.
Speaker 4: We recognize that any self esteem issues and past experience with rejection are entirely our jobs to address and not the responsibility of a man.
Speaker 1: We are dating. That's very therapy, that's very therapy.
Speaker 4: We do not convince ourselves that we like a man we are not interested in because he has withdrawn his attention.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, Or I would always like people just because they liked me. I felt this was somehow obliged to like them back.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, somebody like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm like, oh, he likes me, And it didn't occur to me that you don't like him, I think because I'd internalized that idea about you don't want to make him out uncomfortable or embarrassed. You don't want to disappoint a man.
Speaker 5: So to.
Speaker 4: We know that Aaron Taylor Johnson is the exception and not the rule, and that most men under the age of thirty two are not emotionally advanced or equipped with enough self knowledge to commit in the way we want to deserve.
Speaker 2: So that is her stay away from younger men. So Aaron Taylor Johnson is a young British actor who ran away with the director Sam Wood. She's called Yeah Yes, and he starred in a movie that she made and he was really young.
Speaker 3: I think he was like nineteen.
Speaker 1: He was really young.
Speaker 2: And yeah, so they're still married to the age difference was really significant and they're very happy, happily married and have kids whatever. And I think the point of that is that when a lot of women get newly single and they get you get into some situationships with hot young men.
Speaker 1: He's a bit of a like a patron stay. They're like, yeah, but look at what happened with Aaron Taylor Wood.
Speaker 2: And I think she's making the point. Yeah, but that's not the normal. Yeah, they're usually just trying a few things on Bridget Jones four, one hundred and two.
Speaker 4: What about we run a mile from men who are nasty about their ex girl, that's a huge one.
Speaker 2: You should have that tattooed on your hands and mother's that's the other thing one of the lines that my I think my.
Speaker 1: Mother probably told me.
Speaker 2: Of course, like a man who isn't nice to his mother one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: This has become such a thing. When I was having drinks with my friends. My friend had just gone on a date with this guy and she was like, it was perfect, it was amazing. He called his ex girlfriend crazy, and then we were like, ah, yeah, so you.
Speaker 1: See him again. I went on a date with a guy once.
Speaker 2: We went to yom Cha, right, and he was putting loads of chili on his dumplings and he was saying, Oh, it's so nice to be able to put chili on my dumplings because my ex girlfriend hated chili. And then he said, so sometimes I just put it in things just to piss her off because she.
Speaker 3: Was all which is very okay. I think it's very Brad Pitt coated as well. We're talking about that on yesterday's subscriber episode about how well wouldn't that be a red flag for his new girlfriend that none of his keeps trying to sue his ex wife and none of his kids are speaking to him.
Speaker 4: We hope and wish that the women we know and love are granted all the things we want most. We celebrate when these things happen. We know that it takes nothing from us and our future.
Speaker 2: That's a mantra that you repeat to yourself while rocking in a corner because your friend is, you know, having something that you want.
Speaker 4: But it's such a it's such a very true and Dolly said that two months after they both wrote this manifesto, friend met her husband.
Speaker 3: I really like this because what it does is that it really formalizes an attitude about a process. Rather than looking at the end point of that process and the outcome that you want, it's actually looking at the journey and the experience that you want to have along the way, and how you can try and make sure you don't sort of make too many wrong turns and go down to too many dead ends. And it's about it's all about we. It's about what we want, not what he should be. Jesse made a list.
Speaker 1: But she did make the list.
Speaker 2: She Didni Boley told her to do it because she also made a list.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Jesse wrote a list.
Speaker 2: And then she said that when she and Lucramen dating for a while and she looked back at the list, Yeah, a.
Speaker 1: Lot of the things were on there.
Speaker 3: That was more about what she wanted in a partner, Wasn't it like humor? I just think kindness is the most top underrated virtue in a partner. Kindness top of the list every time, and nice shoulders.
Speaker 1: And leg hair.
Speaker 4: After the break, our very best rerecos to help set up your weekend.
Speaker 5: Vibes, ideas, atmosphere, something casual, something fun.
Speaker 3: This is my best recommendation.
Speaker 4: It is Friday, and we want to set up your weekend with our very best recommendations.
Speaker 1: Who wants to go? I will?
Speaker 2: Mine's a little bit funny on first pass. It's do you call them hairbands, hair elastics, hair ties, hair tied?
Speaker 3: I never say hair ties. I think that feels American.
Speaker 4: Hair is a big one you put over your Yeah, that's hair tie, elastics, hair elastic.
Speaker 3: No, maybe I say hair band in headband is the one that you put over their hair band?
Speaker 1: I say a hairband, They say hair lackeys. I'm pretty sure short for elastic.
Speaker 3: Anyway. I know that sounds a little bit like sad just saying it's a hair tye. But I have found a type of hair tie that is a cult and a collectible. There are seven hundred color combinations and there are seasonal drops. What I know they're called kiniki headbands wire hair bands, which almost always makes me think of Kiniki and Grease, the character the kind of do weeby one. I first discovered them when I ordered a bunch of pillows from a friend of the pod Jumbled, which is a fantastic store in Orange and they're online. They self fashion Homewar's art. I buy loads of things from there, and so I ordered a whole lot of pillows for my couch and they they sent just a few of these just as a little present. And I've never seen anything like them. They are brightly colored.
Speaker 1: I thought they were like bracelets, yes.
Speaker 3: And that's why I like them. They're brightly colored, they have a backstory. They're woven, not molded, so they're very very good and gentle on your hair. There they have over sixty interwoven threads and they are made on Korean vintage looms from the nineteen sixties that were originally built to make upholstery webbing. That's some little fun fact research no metal, no snag, no crease, but the fact that they come in all these amazing colors. I wear them all day every day, like I just choose some nice colored ones and it doesn't leave that sort of red you know, valley around your cut off your circulation around your wrist. They're decoratives.
Speaker 1: They're like thin scrunchies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they don't crease your hair when you put.
Speaker 1: By like that.
Speaker 2: So the thing that I lose most often in my house. I'm always running around my house going has anyone seen a hair tie?
Speaker 1: I need some of those.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a word for the feeling, the very specific, intense feeling of when you need a hair tye because you just have to put your hair back. I feel like there needs to be a word for that out louders help us out because it is. It's such a specific feeling and it's actually quite unbearable. It is that you can't find the hair tye.
Speaker 1: Really angry.
Speaker 3: It does desperate even.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm also recommending a product. It is a blush. I'm wearing it right now. It's from Merit and it's in the color Fox, but they have thirteen different shades.
Speaker 2: Can I put my hand up and ask what merit is? Because I've seen this everywhere, but I've never.
Speaker 1: It's seen it.
Speaker 4: You would have seen it all over your TikTok. It's like the It's Girl beauty brand of the season. It came into Australia recently in the past few years. You can buy their products from their website and they now ship directly to Australia. It is kind of I would say pricey aside, the blush itself is forty eight dollars.
Speaker 1: That is exy rasy for me. It's fine for some other people.
Speaker 3: Did you buy it from the website?
Speaker 4: I bought it from the website when they came into Australia.
Speaker 1: But it's one of those blushes that I use for everything.
Speaker 3: Is there anywhere I can touch it?
Speaker 1: I've got it on my desk.
Speaker 3: No, But like, is it sold in a shop or only.
Speaker 1: You can't get it?
Speaker 4: I thought you could get into four but it's only in the USA, so it's only their website you can get it from. I bought it after our beauty editor Aaron recommended it.
Speaker 3: How did you know if you were buying online what color to get? If there were thirteen different colors.
Speaker 1: Of blood have?
Speaker 4: They put them in like little category so they have like a pop of color category, and then in a neutrals category and then in a darker category. And I always go neutraols with blush because I feel like with my skin tone and they sit better. So this is kind of like a warm talk. You can also see which ones are cool which ones are warm depending on your color here and is it a stick, is it a powder? What is it's a little pot. It's a cream blush. I've also got it on my eyelids and on my lips, so I use it for all three. And that's why I feel like I will keep buying it because the price point for me is extually.
Speaker 1: But because I use it for all three, I like it.
Speaker 3: Have you got anything on over it on your lips?
Speaker 1: Just lined it. I've just lined my lips.
Speaker 3: And then it looks quite moist.
Speaker 1: It's all in the middle. Yeah, because it's creamy.
Speaker 2: Then you've got a bit of a shimmer on your cheek. It's very nice, I have to say.
Speaker 4: And then because it's so good for travel, you just need the one pot for all three. They have so many different shades. So if you want to check it out, highly recommend it to marry It will put a link to the website for you.
Speaker 2: I am recommending something that I have a suspicion i've recommended before, but that's because I love it and it's been a way a long time and it's back. And that is the new season of Kitchen Cabinet with Annabel Crab.
Speaker 3: Who's she interviewing.
Speaker 2: First episode was the Prime Minister Now, so em said to me, what's kitchen cabinet?
Speaker 1: And I went, what do you mean?
Speaker 2: And then our social producer test was like, what's kitchen cabinet? And they thought it was a cooking show. So I need to just quickly explain me and I would know that it's not quite a cooking show. And it kind of is too. It's a show where Annimal Crab who obviously has all the credibility as a political reporter at the ABC. She was for years, so she's very well versed in that world.
Speaker 3: And also someone who is an outstanding cook.
Speaker 1: Yes, loves cooking and baking.
Speaker 3: She's author of cookbooks.
Speaker 2: She has a show that she's been doing for years and years where she goes to a politician's house and they have to cook her dinner and she brings dessert and over the course of this quite short half hour, over the course of the episode, they have dinner and she you know, gets to the bottom of them.
Speaker 1: Right, do they talk politics?
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: The thing that's interesting about the show is in recent years it became quite it's become quite controversial because they do talk politics, but it isn't seven thirty, like she isn't grilling them. So, for example, the first episode of this one was with the Prime Minister as it should be, I guess, and she goes to the lodge and Albo cooks for her in the lodge kitchen.
Speaker 3: What does he cook?
Speaker 2: And they so the politician chooses what they're going to cook, and they always choose something that's going to tell us story. So he cooks a traditional Italian or a keta actually my mom makes this, or a ketti pasta with broccoli and Anchovi's, Oh, we love. He makes that, and obviously he has Italian heritage, so that's his thing. And she brings him homemade wagon Wheel biscuits because he grew up near a biscuit factory in Marrickville. Right over the course of this short interview, you discover that Albo is very anal like obsessed with the.
Speaker 3: Word I didn't expect to hear. I'm just imagining. I was thinking about wagon wheel to say that, and I was thinking about beautiful pasta, and now we're talking about.
Speaker 1: He is obsessed with prosit process.
Speaker 2: He doesn't like any of his food to touch each other except for Pastor that's allowed obviously, and he doesn't like Amanavella in his kitchen with him.
Speaker 1: So, like, it's one of those shows watching you just.
Speaker 2: Learn about the person and then when they sit down, she does grill him a bit on politics in terms of she says, what do you think young Albo would think? You know, the one who protested about X y Z. What do you think he'd think about you?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: Like, so she doesn't age would you like to go back to Yes, she does bring that, but it's not a grilling.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: That's why it became kind of controversial in recent years because I think as our political discourse has become more heated, a lot of people are like, how very dare you go to this person's house and present them like a human. So during the course of this season, she's going to go to all the politicians' houses. Right, whether or not she's got Hanson, nobody quite knows. Maybe me or no, She's not going to tell me, but she's the second one was with Angus Taylor, said, the leader of the opposition. In the past, she's been to Barnaby Joyce's house, she's been to Scomo's house, she's been a Pete Dunton's house. She goes to everyone's house.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the reason I like it do you get to see the house? A You get to see the house.
Speaker 2: And the thing that's funny about this is Albo's dog is just constantly running up and down the stairs behind them.
Speaker 3: And you're just getting steps in.
Speaker 1: What's Toto doing?
Speaker 2: I don't know anyway, But is that, even without the grilling, you learn so much about somebody. So I remember in Pete Dutton's one, she was asking him questions about his time as a police officer and stuff that was really revealing to his character without her sitting there and going you think this, and you think that. So I find it really interesting. I also think it never does any harm us any harm to remember that everybody is human, whether you like them or not, or agree them or not. And I really find it. I really like the format. I really like that. Not everybody does, but I do anyway.
Speaker 1: So it's back.
Speaker 2: It's been off air for a year, for a good few years. I'm delighted to see it back. The first two are up and then it's going to drop week to week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I watch this.
Speaker 3: I agree with you. I have absolutely no time for people who want to not humanize anyone not you know that everything has to be antagonistic, and that if you somehow talk to someone you don't agree with, that means you're endorsing everything they've ever said, everything they've ever done.
Speaker 2: And even if you watch it, like I think I've probably watched all of them, and I never walk away going, oh, you know what, I really agree with all that guy's policies now that I really couldn't agree with before, because I'm a smart human being who can handle that, and most people are like I can handle hearing that point of view without it meaning that I've signed off on that point of view.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It drives me crazy because these people only say it about the people they disagree with. They're very happy for the people they agree with to be portrayed in whatever positive light, but if they don't agree somehow, it means that that can't No one can have a comboise so.
Speaker 2: Be I mean, you know, Annabel Krab, who has bags of credibility in political reporting, she like, her questions are great. She's not you know, she's not in any way letting everybody off the hook. Like and also she does it very She always does across the political spectrum. So she'll going to a Green's house, a national house, a labor house, a liberal house. It's like, I find that really interesting. Yeah, anyway, it's a great show. It's back and also part of the fun it is seeing what Annabel bakes. How is she such a good baker who makes their own wagon wheel?
Speaker 4: That's insane. I need to see those immediately. It's on ABC IVW Friends.
Speaker 3: She's just phenomenal.
Speaker 2: Oh, We've got one more reco because there's a new Mama Mia show this week, and I believe that it's for your people, em and by that I mean the young one.
Speaker 4: So Mom and Mia, we have a new gen Z podcast. It's a comedy podcast. It's hosted by two girls here in the office.
Speaker 1: Live and Live.
Speaker 2: Oh you'll know at least one of the Lives because she is so great on social it's so funny.
Speaker 4: Live James if you you might know her name. She's always on our Instagram. She does these video explainers and she's so good at them. Live Coleman also really funny. They're both in their twenties and what they do is they go through the comments and all of these viral tiktoks and viral Instagram videos and they kind of do it a big explainer on what's happening about this viral moment just through the comments and the dynamic is so good, so funny.
Speaker 1: I think the first episode comes out this week.
Speaker 3: It does came out yesterday. It's I love this show because I learn, like I don't understand a lot of it. Yeah, but it's you know how sometimes you can just be like, what's that I don't understand? And I just listened to this and it keeps me. I feel like it keeps me in touch with what gen Z's are talking about.
Speaker 1: And they're so themselves.
Speaker 4: Live James recently did an explainer on The Odyssey before you go watch it. Oh, I loved it, and it's so funny because she pronounces all the names wrong and she's like, you know what, I don't care.
Speaker 1: It went absolutely via.
Speaker 2: I love that. We said that in the promo for it was like with Sada, there weren't enough shows out there that were hosted by two.
Speaker 1: Two women called live in their twenties. Try to get it's true. You have to find a gap in the mask.
Speaker 3: Now I have a listen, we'll put a link in our show notes.
Speaker 1: That is all we have time for today.
Speaker 2: Out loudert, thank you for being with us all week. It has been a joy as ever. Thank you to our team and we will be back into your ears on Monday.
Speaker 1: Bye bye bye.
Speaker 4: Mamma Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we have recorded this podcast.