Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Mom and Mia out loud.
Speaker 2: It's what women are talking about on Monday, the thirteenth of July. My name is Holly Wayne right, and we have a new family member. We do Claire Stephens, who's our co host on this show, who was filling in for her sister, Jesse Stephens, who is on matt leave. Then Claire went on Matt Lee and she has had a baby boy and she did not take your name advice.
Speaker 3: She didn't, but she did pick a very very cute name. She called him Darcy, and now we have to call him mister Darcy.
Speaker 2: Who are you?
Speaker 4: I'm m Vernon.
Speaker 3: I'm replacing Claire who's been on Mattley, replacing Jesse, And oh my god, can these twins get back.
Speaker 2: To Welcome, Welcome to being on our Mondays and Wednesdays with the same one.
Speaker 4: I love you.
Speaker 5: I'm Amelia Lester.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you are going to hear from our Clare Stephens soon. But in the interim, massive love from all the out louders to you and little baby Darcy and Milda, Matilda, Moondilda and all of you.
Speaker 1: Here's what's made our agenda.
Speaker 2: If only Claire had taken a suggestion called the baby Brent.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be stumbling over these names. Darcy is very cute. Okay, here's what's made our agenda for today.
Speaker 2: The King did have Harry and Meg's round for tea on the weekend, is I know, even though it was a very bad week for Harry in many other ways, including a very intriguing story about a journalist and a pill.
Speaker 3: Plus, there's a new type of group activity that's gaining traction and I am one hundred percent on board with this one.
Speaker 6: And has Lena Dunham one at life? I share the evidence with you.
Speaker 2: But first in case she missed it. Cruz Hewitt not to be confused with Cruz Beckham, even though they actually have a lot in common. Was that Wimbledon in the finals of the boys tennis and I only found this out today.
Speaker 1: Did you know this?
Speaker 6: I mean, but the name Cruise Hewett is confusing because I think cruise is just a name for NEPO babies.
Speaker 5: At this point, do.
Speaker 3: We know any real life cruises. I don't know the cruise you're currently speaking about. I also didn't know Wilberden was on so many things today.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of fashion. You've got to go look at the Wimbledon fashion. It's been interested in very ott.
Speaker 6: You're in the sports chair here at mum and me are out loud, so you better.
Speaker 4: Step it up, okay.
Speaker 2: I was very interested in this because along with the news that I read this morning that Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt's youngest children, they're twins, are about turn eighteen. Wow, this is a big week for jen X because both these bits.
Speaker 1: Of news made me feel very old.
Speaker 2: Because the reason that I'm invested in Cruz Hewitt, who is the son to catch everybody up of Layton Hewitt and Beck Hewitt.
Speaker 4: I know Beck Hewett, Yes, there you going away?
Speaker 2: Is that back in my Gossip magazine days they were the Beckhams of Australia. So every one of these babies, they've got three children. Cruise I think is the middle one, so they've got two girls and crews in the middle got their own magazine deals when they were born. Leyton and Beck's wedding was an enormous exclusive production at the Sydney Opera House and at Taronga Zoo that they sold to New Idea. And I was working at Women's Day in those days. So it was like magazine wars and we were trying to pap it and ruin their life.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I'm what, But anyway, they.
Speaker 2: Were the biggest deal, the Hewitts when they got together. I remember when I went to work at Women's Day, the boss lady there said to me, We're going to put beck Hewitt on the cover every second week because she sells. It doesn't matter if she hasn't done anything, it doesn't matter if she hasn't gone anywhere, said anything, just living her life.
Speaker 1: We are doing a becuit cover every second week.
Speaker 4: Strategy were huge.
Speaker 1: Don't know Jan Anniston Magazine's time and then magazine died. Was I part of that?
Speaker 4: Probably?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Anyway, fast forward forward and Cruz Hewitt is seventeen years old and he played in the finals at Wimbledon, not in the men's but in the boys and that's huge. He's following in his dad's footsteps.
Speaker 3: That's really nice. So his dad's side of the family. I learned her all very very sporty, and he's going very much down. You know what this reminds me of. It reminds me of when we learned that Cody Simpson was trying out for the Olympics and we were like, Cody Swims, He's meant to be singing. I know, does it feel like this for you?
Speaker 2: Well, except that Leyton Hewitt is a massive tennis player and he's probably Australia's one of Australia's most famous ever male tennis players, and the fact that his son is a tennis player is not that surprising, but the fact that he's at that level, that he's playing at Wimbledon blew me away. And apparently Layton doesn't coach him. This isn't a NEPO babysitch in that way. He's got his own coach, his own team. But obviously Leyton and Beck and the girls were there and the sidelines turning him on. I'm he didn't win. Oh, just to spoiler, he didn't win, but getting to the final is huge. Congrats to him and I am officially old.
Speaker 6: Has Lena Dunham won life? She was famesick according to the title of her memoir, But now the girl's creator has entered something of a golden age. And I got thinking about this because there was a tweet this weekend. It went out with a picture of Lena in this beautiful blue CARDI flashing the VF victory sign. And this was not Lena Dunnam's tweet. This was an observer's tweet, and the tweet read Adam Driver hasn't been seen in weeks, Jack Antonoff maybe getting divorced Jenny Connor in Witness Protection the headline at Taylor Swift's wedding.
Speaker 5: You know, you that bitch when you cause all this conversation.
Speaker 4: If that was about me, I'd have that framed in my bedroom.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's good, is it it?
Speaker 6: Let's unpack it, and then I want to figure out how she wanted life. So, first of all, Adam Driver hasn't been seen in weeks. I didn't know how true this was. But ever since Lena's memoir came out and mentioned that he threw a chair at the wall, that was kind of the big headline from the book, they had an argument he threw a chair at the wall during the filming of Girls. It's true that Driver's star has seemed a little bit dimmed since then. So he's only said, in response to the chair throwing anecdote that he's saving his side of the story for my book.
Speaker 5: I don't that's all he said.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 5: I think it was mostly a joke.
Speaker 6: But I did look up headlines about him in the past two weeks and there were two headlines. One he is selling his Brooklyn Heights home, which Lena mentions was opposite hers, so clearly he just wants to close the chapter on that part of his life. Two that he has an intense dinosaur movie coming to Prime Video. And you're an entertainment person. Have you heard anything of his intense dinosaur movie.
Speaker 3: I haven't, but I do know he was in an intense dinosaur movie a few years ago. I think it was called sixty three. He's very good in it. But there is a dinosaur movie coming out with Ann Hathway. Maybe he's in that one.
Speaker 6: I just think he's not quite where he used to be. That's what I'm taking. It's quite hard to.
Speaker 4: Act alongside dynasties.
Speaker 2: I just have to check that I've got this narrative straight. How much ex love interests are suffering indicates how well we're doing.
Speaker 1: So is that what you're trying to say?
Speaker 5: No, I think it's not that he's an ex love interest.
Speaker 6: It's that all the people that Lena maybe had beef with who she outlined the beef's in her book.
Speaker 5: However, subtly those people.
Speaker 6: Are now not doing as well because Lena kind of outlined her arguments with them in her book.
Speaker 3: I feel like, as a person who's had previous exes, if they had some sort of downfall, I obviously would in publicly be happy about it.
Speaker 4: But I will smile and I don't see. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
Speaker 6: And to be clear, like Adam Driver is not her ex love interest in real life. He played her love interest on the show. It's sort of like if you have a colleague, an ex colleague you don't really like, who's now doing badly, you're sort of happier about.
Speaker 1: They nearly did, didn't they?
Speaker 2: In the book there was like one night when it was going to happen and went no.
Speaker 6: But the big piece of evidence here is around Jack Antonoff, because news broke in the last few days that he and wife Margaret Qually are in fact separated after three years of marriage. They got married in this big ceremony Tellers, which was there.
Speaker 5: It was a huge deal.
Speaker 6: Now Jack doesn't come off so well only in his book, and now he's getting divorced coincidence.
Speaker 3: Not a coincidence. I'm going to say.
Speaker 1: This is years ago. These guys broke up, like ten years ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but an excellent.
Speaker 5: X X isn't X.
Speaker 6: And then there's the headline at Telisa's wedding, which is because Lena gave a speech at the wedding and this has been pretty well verified now where she said American football, which is what Travis Kelsey plays, is just straight guys re enacting gay porn. Apparently this drew both gasps and lasts from the audience. Taylor loved it. Lena seemed to reference it in a later Instagram saying she was available for other weddings and by mitzvahs. So we kind of can assume now that she did in fact say this. She's she's clearly loving life right now. Everything's going her way. And how do you think Lena came through the fame sick era and sort of just won everything.
Speaker 3: I really love how before Lena put out her memoir, she probably saw mel Robbins getting in a lot of traction for let them, and she was like.
Speaker 4: You know what, no, don't let them, never let them. Don't.
Speaker 3: And we're seeing what happens when you don't let them. And what I think happened with her fame Sick memoir, She've Come. She came across so likable because she reminded herself when she was writing this that she was so unlikable, and she doesn't shy away from that.
Speaker 4: We always talk.
Speaker 3: About the people she quote unquote burned in the memoir, but she also talked really honestly about herself as an unlikable person, and she talked about how she cheated, and she talked about how she didn't like people who didn't like her, and she talked about how she thought she was the best thing to give to art, and that is all very unlikable things to say when you're talking about yourself. And I think because she was so honest in that aspect, it did the opposite where she came across as someone who was just very honest and vulnerable, and we liked that about her.
Speaker 5: She is Anna bashadly herself.
Speaker 6: Think about the outfit she wore to Taylor's rehearsal dinner, because yes, she did get invited to the smaller event on Thursday night. It was a chartruse green satin skirt suit. I saw someone describe it as looking like the Grinch's publicist.
Speaker 5: But that was a.
Speaker 6: Compliment, like she looked amazing. She is just fully herself at this point.
Speaker 2: Its age, This is all it is like she Lena Dunham was so young when she became so successful, and the world was horrible to her. And I mean, I don't know if we read the same book, but I didn't think that she burned Jack anton Off in that book. I thought she that was a very even description of a long relationship falling apart. But still I think what happened to her is the Internet and the world gave her an absolute hiding and.
Speaker 1: It was awful. And she describes that a lot in that book.
Speaker 2: And most tellingly, the whole book is dedicated to the people who did not make it through fame, everybody from Marilyn Monroe to Caroline Flack and lie and Payne and Amy Winehouse, and it's the book is a story about what happens when your life gets swallowed by this pursuit, by your ambition, and then how much the world hates ambitious women, which it generally does. And I think that where Lena is now is she went away right and this I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Speaker 1: But she did.
Speaker 6: This is how she got through fame. Yes, this is your outlining the strategy.
Speaker 2: She went away and she grew up and she did other work that wasn't all Lena focused. And I don't mean again, I'm not criticizing her like because she wreckees that for reasons that were entirely unfair. In my opinion, she had become the story and the problem and everybody's favorite whipping child in the sort of teens twenty teens. I think this is age. She has just turned forty. She has written an extraordinarily good book. If this book was just slandering people and dissing everybody and all that, it wouldn't have been the hit that it has been. She executed the strategy of promoting the book brilliantly, and now she can kind of just she's it's also how you can be with fame and money when you don't need it anymore, Like you can hold it lightly when you're young and you're and you're hustling and you're trying to get to where you need to go, you have to hold it all so tightly. And I think now she's like, I don't need it. I've got nothing to prove. Everybody like Girls has had a whole revisionist history in terms of now it's in the cannon as being seen as a really important piece of art. You know, her story inter sex with so many really important cultural moments.
Speaker 1: I reckon now, she's kind of like me.
Speaker 6: I agree, but I'm fascinated with how she pulled it off, because, as you point out at the start of the book, she lists scores of people who couldn't come through fame and didn't emerge the other side actually thriving and healthy and happy. And it got me thinking about what fame does to you. And I happened to come across an interview that came out today. This is Mick Jagger being interviewed on the New York Times Interview podcast, and he said something specifically that I thought immediately of Lena, because it talks about the worst time in your life that you can become famous.
Speaker 8: I think you're psychologically your your actual state of mind is permanently damaged by this or affected or I mean, I think when you're in your late twenties and early thirties is a very tough time for people in this business because it's a big ego trip.
Speaker 6: Basically, what do you think about that idea that like, she became famous at an especially vulnerable time, the time of life when you're meant to be sort of coalescing around your sense of self and everyone's telling you how great you are because they're making so much money off you, and it really messes with your sense of self.
Speaker 5: And somehow she didn't let it do that.
Speaker 2: Well she did, and now she didn't, you know what I mean. I think that the story here is she went through it. She would say, getting sober was a massive part of it for her, That's what she One of the things she says, retreating from the spotlight to go and live in London a huge part of it, making like, you know, disconnecting herself from In the book she talks about this, she was being pushed to but also she was feeding it too, like constant buying into the attention economy basically, and now she's come out of it the other side, able to harness the attention economy when she wants it.
Speaker 1: I'm a little bit wary of saying it's done.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, the world was particularly awful to women at that time, but it still is and I want and it particularly awful to women as they age. So I think that from here, you know, we're in a moment where people are recognizing that we had a really we have a really special genius in done them in lots of ways. It doesn't necessarily mean they're not going to turn on it next week.
Speaker 3: Also, I completely agree. I also feel like her memoir acts as like a security blanket for her, and like it shows that you have to give to get. I feel like if she didn't have the memoir come out, and if she wasn't back on social media posting and on sub stack posting, and then the news came out that she made that joker Taylor Swift's wedding after we haven't heard from her in so many years, it would have done the opposite of what it did.
Speaker 4: People would have.
Speaker 3: Been so mad, so angry at her, would have gone back through the archives and been like, this isn't the first time Lena Dunham stole the spotlight from someone. And I think it's because she gave so much of herself in that memoir to us kind of I'm now grabbing for like any little thing she will say outside of that because we are so again obsessed with her.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I think we're obsessed with her because she has been radically honest with us and with herself. I think part of what Mick Jagger is getting out there when he says that fame can really damage you is that you end up. It seems to me observationally that a lot of famous people end up believing what all the sort of hangers on are telling them. But Lena had to sort of reject the obsequiousness and the flattery, put herself in rehab, go through a lot of medical issues, and realize that that was ultimately empty in a way that many other celebrities don't.
Speaker 2: I think that's absolutely true. I think the wisdom. I mean it sounds trite, but the book outlines all of the pain, literal pain she's been through living with really chronic illness for a long time. She must have a lot of perspective on what matters now.
Speaker 1: For those of us. And I am in this clad.
Speaker 2: I am in this group because I am obsessed with Antonoff, like his music, I mean not him personally, and so many people were really invested in that market Quali Jack Antonov relationship there are so many famous songs about it. And anyway, if you're obsessed with that, we're going to talk about it on Scoreless Gossip tomorrow for subscribers with me.
Speaker 6: And look, dare I say it? I've got a couple more Tailor stift wedding updates. I got to mention the ladies please please. First of all, we still haven't seen the dress, and I don't understand why is there a strategy here and what is going on?
Speaker 3: I am so like over Look, I have a confession to our manager. I removed myself from the Taylor swift By channel because I'm just off it.
Speaker 4: I'm off it. I want to talk about something else. I'm done.
Speaker 3: What I am interested in is how every update we get about the Taylor wedding is from the Kelsey Brothers official Instagram page. And I want to know if there's a war between the Kelsey Others marketing team and the Tailor Nation marketing team. Try to be giving them everything and Tailor Nation.
Speaker 4: Hasn't posted anything about the wedding.
Speaker 2: I've been trying to find you a credible theory, Amelia. Do you want to hear the closest I've got? Tell me when they got engaged. There were thirteen days between the proposal and the post about the proposal. Thirteen is a big number for Taylor. Yeah, for reasons that I don't know. I think we're on day ten.
Speaker 4: It's a birthday date, and.
Speaker 1: So were I think we're on day ten if my maths is correct.
Speaker 5: Not favorite tifused, yea, they.
Speaker 4: Do, and so it mate.
Speaker 2: She may we didn't know we were waiting for the engagement pictures though, did we write? So that was but it was thirteen days, so that's like almost two weeks to kind of let everything, get the pictures back from.
Speaker 1: The photographer, Yeah, go through them.
Speaker 4: Let her.
Speaker 2: She was seen at a wedding of one of Travis's former teammates on the weekend. Maybe she wanted to make sure they got their moment.
Speaker 6: Maybe Jayla was just photo bombing all of the nice shuts of the dress.
Speaker 1: It's true photo shopping her out.
Speaker 4: You know who's not considered.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, they're probably getting picture approval from all the famous people.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, that's why I couldn't go. But they're not thinking about their boomer auntie who just wants to post a Facebook album. And I think when it comes to weddings. We really need to consider that group of people.
Speaker 6: Okay, here's the second update. Melissa Ganna Lee wrote in the Huffington Post this weekend about the fact that her husband deleted their invitation to tail.
Speaker 1: Us this wedding dory.
Speaker 5: Amelia T screamed when I read.
Speaker 9: So.
Speaker 6: Melissa's husband's name is Garrett. He's a well known music producer. Melissa just scrolling through Instagram photos of the wedding as it's happening, you know, just like sitting on the couch, and she says something to her husband about the wedding.
Speaker 5: And then he.
Speaker 6: Says, Oh, I got a text, but I thought it was spam.
Speaker 5: Oh no, what I asked, in total disbelief.
Speaker 6: Yeah, remember I told you I got a text from her manager, but I didn't respond to it. It didn't sound like him. And then Melissa's screams it was probably an assistant. Oh, Garrett said, seemingly apologetic. Now, because Melissa is a psychotherapist, she did not murder her husband. Instead, she took some deep breaths and left the room to work through her anger. But what would you have done in this situation?
Speaker 3: This story makes a great case on why you should never marry a.
Speaker 4: Man because I know every woman.
Speaker 3: I know every woman in a long term relationship has some version of this story. What makes it worse, and Melissa writes this in the post, is that not only did they just like did he like not reply to the message, but he completely deleted it, so they didn't even RSVP No, they didn't even get a no from that.
Speaker 2: That I would be garrett. I would be Garrett. I delete nearly every message in my inbox. If I don't know the number, I'm not responding, I would believe it was spam.
Speaker 1: Everything is spam.
Speaker 6: If you got a text and it was like, Hi, I'm Bad Bunny's manager. I heard you're a fan. He wants to invite you on his yacht next month.
Speaker 5: Would you really delete it?
Speaker 1: Or would you not?
Speaker 5: Maybe ask a follow up question, the only bad Bunny?
Speaker 9: Would you? This is a.
Speaker 3: Lie because you gave all your details away to Harry Styles.
Speaker 4: That is so message right I did?
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, you're fair fair, No, she's this is outrage.
Speaker 1: I would be calling Madison's as she was. She was scrolling looking at the picture, calling Madison Square gun.
Speaker 5: Stop the wedding.
Speaker 1: Oh I forgot the other theory a Melia that I got for you again.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 2: Mia has said that there's no way that Vogue is on the inside of the wedding pictures, but Vogue seemed to be suggesting that they are. That They've got lots of insider pictures of Taylor's dress and Taylor's fittings, and they have said to us per the New York Times, that they will be releasing them, but they can't until Taylor.
Speaker 5: Releases Oh so she did.
Speaker 2: Release interesting and then the behind the scenes designer pictures will come through.
Speaker 1: Vogue is the theory.
Speaker 3: After the break the new group activity that only requires you to do one simple thing. So there's a new type of social club on the block and young people are eagerly waiting to sign up to it. You only have to do one thing, and that is absolutely nothing. That is your one thing you have to do. So it started in New York where a reiki practitioner named Malia Simone started a group called Club Rest Stop, where for about two hours on a weekend, a group of people gather in a park. They do some listening to soundbarts, they do some deep breathing, and the one rule is is that you have to lie down and close your eyes.
Speaker 2: This is the best bit of yoga, right, You know when you go to a yoga class and everyone just likes the last five minutes, yeah, ash ashtanga, ashtanga, sevassina vasa, and you know, I'm really sorry all the yogi's Anyway, whenever you go to a yoga class and it's time for that part and you see the people, like some people start to pack up and leave.
Speaker 3: Like that's the best part of yoga. You get to lie down that bit. I once caught myself snort.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: And sometimes they come and give you a little blanky sometimes.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we digress.
Speaker 3: So we're getting these social groups now, and they mainly do this on weekends. But it's like two hours of your time. You go to a park and you're meant to lie down and do nothing, and it's for people who want to retire from hustle culture.
Speaker 6: I'm glad they mainly do it on weekends because I feel like most people would have a tough time selling it to their Monday to Friday job boss that they.
Speaker 5: Need to go and lie in the park for two hours.
Speaker 1: I've got to leave early. I've got my lie down class.
Speaker 3: Well, I've actually been practicing a version of this, because Malia says that she knows it's a big commitment. But if you are in, if you're going to the and you have a lot of meetings and things to do, just take five minutes before that meeting to just do absolutely nothing. So literally just sit there and do nothing. And I don't know if you guys notice, but I do do this before my record. I go to I go into the kitchen and I look out the window for like three minutes.
Speaker 5: Is that so you think that sort of clears your head.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I think what it does is that it makes me interested in other things other than myself.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: I hate to bring this up because we have already had one mention of this man today, mister Bunny Bad Bunny.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: Yes, but famously, on this world tour that is ongoing, the first thing he does on the whole show, which is like a three hour extravaganza blah, he shoots up and he just stands there. He stands there and he doesn't move, and he doesn't talk, and he doesn't do anything for like a full i'd say two minutes.
Speaker 5: Does it make people uncomfortable?
Speaker 2: Yes, but he does it. And I've heard lots of people say it's he's centering himself. He's like taking it all in, But it actually feels a bit weird. And now I know that, mister bunny in an arena is just you staring out of the window before a record.
Speaker 1: On a Monday morning. Yes, so I should want to.
Speaker 3: Go up to you and go like this, I should do it. I should do what he does, and do it on company time and the next time we're recording, I was paying for those exactly, and you go, hey, everyone, welcome to out loud.
Speaker 4: I'm just going to see here two minutes.
Speaker 6: I feel like what all of these sort of habits are circling around is this concept of cognitive endurance. I read an article about this in the Nine newspapers this weekend which says, basically, cognitive endurance means how many seconds you can be looking into space without looking at your phone. That's basically the definition of cognitive endurance. And Priya Parker, who's the author of a book called the Art of Gathering, who you may have heard some interviews with. She's all about like how to more intentionally get together with other people. She kicked this off because about a decade ago, she had this club in New York.
Speaker 5: I had friends involved with it.
Speaker 6: And she'd say, you've got to leave your phone at home, and we're going to get on the subway and go to a random New York neighborhood and wander around that neighborhood for twelve hours before going home, no phone, no prep. The idea was just you're going to randomly explore the neighborhood.
Speaker 4: But what do you do on the subway?
Speaker 6: The subway just takes you to a random neighborhood that you then explore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not on the phone on the subway because you left your friend.
Speaker 5: Oh, I guess that's interesting. You left your phone at home.
Speaker 6: But the idea is, like ten years ago, cognitive endurance was going somewhere for twelve hours without your phone.
Speaker 5: I don't think you could do that today.
Speaker 6: Like this, it's interesting that this group that you're talking about is now.
Speaker 5: Two hours because basically, our.
Speaker 6: Attention has gotten so shot that even two hours of not looking at our phone feels immense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so interesting.
Speaker 4: What a Taylorswift post her wedding dress in those two hours?
Speaker 6: True?
Speaker 2: I am this is really interesting because I think the one of the things that everybody's grappling with that we know that even though we might do a lot of downtime with our phones, like our screen times tell us that we spend anywhere between four to eight to twenty three hours ago looking at our phones and bedrodding is the whole thing and all that. It's like very much, there's like a laziness associated with phone scrolling that we all know about recognizing ourselves and can point to it is not rest.
Speaker 1: It is not rest.
Speaker 2: It is not recharged like that that time is not And I was at a book event last week. This amazing radical Amantha Imba, who I've interviewed a few times on various mom and Mere podcasts, has a book called The Energy Game, and it's about burnout. Essentially, it's about how to avoid burnout and why burnout is at an all time high and all those things. And she makes the point that there are these different kinds of energy banks that we all have, and our phone SAPs all of them in different ways. So it SAPs our social energy because often we'll be interacting in group chats and messaging or whatever and feeling like we're socializing and thinking of what to say and worrying about whether someone didn't get back to us, wonder at whether 'ing, you know, worrying about whether it's our ten to respond physical energy, I guess is an argument, not really except for the fact that we all know this, and the technic and the shoulders that I really get, and our emotional energy in that we all know, we're all familiar with how the doom scroll of like every awful thing in the world, poppy dog, every awful thing in the world, hot ran gardening. You know that it's it's an emotional role, rage bait, you know, tear bait, all that kind of stuff, and that it's sapping all our energy banks without us even doing anything. So it makes total sense that we detoxing from it, and we all know this, but it's just getting harder and harder to do it, and so making a social gathering that centers around it makes perfect sense. It's kind of like the gym buddy, Yeah, yeah, the walk buddy who makes you do it right?
Speaker 6: And don't you think that like in twenty twenty six, asking twelve hours without your phone people, I just think literally wouldn't say yes anymore. They would just think that they'd come up with a list of reasons why that's literally impossible.
Speaker 1: We'd say, We'd say we wouldn't feel safe.
Speaker 2: We'd say we're worried about I don't know, our kids, our friends, our partners who can't get in touch with us. Yeah, all of these things that now are so deeply ingrained in the fabric of our lives, but only a few years ago was not Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I also feel like sometimes scrolling on my phone on TikTok is like my version of rest, and even though my brain is going like, that's where I feel RESTful. And it's so funny that to avoid the brain rot from scrolling, like I've been told that I need to actually rest, would stay on my phone and stare at a wall. But then ten years ago, when we didn't have smartphones, doing that was seen as like something so lazy and not productive. So it feels like there's always something new to complain about and to tell people.
Speaker 4: That you're just being lazy.
Speaker 2: I think scrolling your tiktoks as a treat is rest, but doing it in every available moment that you're not looking at something else is draining.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean, so like, if.
Speaker 2: You go, I've got to do this and this today, and then I've got I get twenty minutes to just scroll my handsome men. Gardening is like a little treat, right, But the fact that so much of our day is constantly plugging that in is part of what's making us exalt.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So if I don't want to join the two hours in the park group, which I don't, I can think of many excuses as to why I don't want to do that. Did you come away from talking to the author of the Energy Game with a sense of how we can be protecting ourselves a bit more?
Speaker 2: Well, she's got all these theories about how you've got to protect your energy, but you can protect your energy, you can boost your energy. And obviously rest is important, but rest means different things to different people.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The most important thing that I took away from that, and I think we've talked about this before, is that we all compare ourselves to each other. Of course we do, right, and that includes in terms of resting. Is that somebody's rest might literally be lying on the couchy in ther book, but other people might find that almost impossible to do.
Speaker 3: I know you and mea previously have talked about the seven types of rest, yes for different people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I discovered that my active I think my gardening is active rest.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, So I find it RESTful and I find it energizing in a way that no, I don't. I very rarely give myself permission to lie still. And I think that's probably like fifteen years of parenting plus work. Is that there's always something to do, right, There's always something, some load of washing, some meal, something some lura to do. So lying down feels I need to work on that, but it feels forbidden.
Speaker 1: Whereas do you.
Speaker 4: Think that's a generational thing as well?
Speaker 1: Well maybe, but.
Speaker 2: I think it's I think it kind of creeps up on you. And then whereas I think active rest is you can kind of tell your self that you're still doing something, but you're resting.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it's not healthy. There's nothing I'd love more than to land the couch and me to walk. Yeah, but men don't seem to have a problem. No, men love resting famously. I think I could join this social club. I think I'd be really good at it. It plays to my strength.
Speaker 3: You've got an analog bag. I've got an analog bag. I think I could join rest club, but like two to three times a day?
Speaker 1: Could you do it?
Speaker 4: Amelia?
Speaker 6: Absolutely not. It makes me auntsy thinking about it. Remember when we had our tel Stra outage last week? Yeah, I had to stare out the window on the bus. I think that's the most I've concentrated in a long time, honestly, Like that bus ride and now what I'm thinking.
Speaker 1: I was like, what twenty minutes?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Taylor Swift is asking us to practice cognitive endurance around her wedding. She's saying, so, guys, not everything happens immediately in life. Sometimes you've got to wait for nice things. She's really just asking us to practice.
Speaker 1: She really is.
Speaker 2: She's making us better people, Amelia. After the Break the Doves one. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you haven't been listening to our incessant updates about what's going on with Prince Harry in London. You'll be happy to hear that that trip is over. So this might be the last time.
Speaker 1: We're talking about it for a while.
Speaker 2: But also, lots of stuff happened screw Taylor's wedding friends, the photo that I really want is the one of the King with Harry and Meg's and the children at High Grove that got taken on Friday. God I help, We'll get to see that picture one day. We know that it exists, right this, we know for sure. We've been going on about it for weeks that Prince Harry was going to London, He's going to Britain to do some events around the Invictors Games, which is in Birmingham this time next year, and that Meghan and the kids were meant to go, and would they wouldn't they meet the King?
Speaker 1: Would they?
Speaker 2: Wouldn't they stay at Buckingham Palace and all that, and so on and so forth. Leaks and official statements at various times said yes they're coming, No they're not. Yes, Meg's will be doing some public events with him, No they won't. We talked about this a lot last week. The Hawks were the people who were like, absolutely not. William was the leader of the Hawks, saying, Dad, if you meet that annoying little brother of mine, I'm going.
Speaker 1: To be so mad.
Speaker 3: You're not invited to my birthday exactly, You're not invited to the kid's birthdays anyway.
Speaker 5: I have a polo tournament to go to dad. That's actually true, he did so.
Speaker 2: William was leading the Hawks in No apparently Charles and people in the Charles camp were the Doves, saying like he is my son and I want to see him. And lots of royal commentators have been very overly invested in this, possibly including myself. Anyway, it did happen on Friday.
Speaker 5: Do you identify as one hawk or dove?
Speaker 1: Definitely your dove.
Speaker 2: I want this family to heal, That's what I want. I understand why they won't, and also I want them to basically step down and turn.
Speaker 1: I bring him to a republic, but that's not going to happen. But I understand it.
Speaker 5: Kind of a dove hawk clime.
Speaker 2: I understand why William and Kate do not trust Harry. I very much understand it. But life is short, your dad's getting old, and those poor little Californian kids need to come and understand some things about England. Anyway, Friday afternoon, Charles and Queen Camilla hosted Harry and Meghan and the kids who are seven and five actching a limit at High Grove House.
Speaker 6: You kind of glossed over a huge fact there Queen Camilla, the same Queen Camilla that Harry has maligned repeatedly.
Speaker 2: Harry has slagged Camilla quite a lot in his book. He made it sound like she threw him under the bus with some leaking to the press when she was trying to get some preferential treatment. But then, to be honest, he threw everyone under the bus in that book, including his dad. His dad doesn't come out of it well. So I think this says a lot about Charles that he did this. No images are expected, so it wasn't in London. It was at Charles's favorite, beloved High gro Of House, and it was quite the cloak and dagger operation because as Tom Sykes, who is an obsessed who is the Royalist, and is an obsessive hawk to the point that I think he needs to check himself into some kind of beak beak rescue plate.
Speaker 3: When I talk about this story to my friends at drinks, can I just confirm the pronunciation Gloucestershire, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, You guys, Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire just kind of trails off at Gloucestershire.
Speaker 2: He writes that he was following Harry at the NEC in Birmingham on Friday, and that two things struck him. He said, first that Harry was very happy and considering the week he'd had, which we're going to get to in a minute, that seemed weird.
Speaker 3: Harry looked like shockingly happy, very gleamy and very good looking.
Speaker 2: And the second, Sykes writes that about midday the place started emptying. All the photographers mysteriously disappeared and everyone was like, oh, maybe they've gone to the Polo to see William and Catherine canoodling, which they did. They did some canoodling friends is the.
Speaker 4: I do know a.
Speaker 3: So Prince William said, I'll show you a happy marriage.
Speaker 5: Did that.
Speaker 2: But also they were going to High Grove and High Grove had a great smoke screen going on because they were hosting a party for Chanel on that day, because it's very fancy there, and Chanell had rented the estate for an event that was running from eleven to three, and so all the traffic going in and out everyone thought it was just that, but really one of those cars had Megs and the kids and they were.
Speaker 1: Smuggling them in.
Speaker 3: I need like a Crown spinoff episode of just Harrie's five days five tumultuous days, and they were tumultuous because this happened.
Speaker 2: So they got their meeting, and there will be no photos released unfortunately, unless, of course, Harry proves that he really is the scumbag that William thinks he is and just releases them in his Christmas card.
Speaker 1: He could he could do that, but apparently.
Speaker 2: The Sunday Times said that Charles is like blood is blood, and I know that there's all this dr and I know that we can't trust Harry not to leak to the press, but he's my son, and I'm not having this hashtag no content, no contact business going on in my family.
Speaker 1: Do we sympathize?
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I wonder how he sold it to Camilla, because Charles might say blood is blood, but Camilla is not blood, and he's said horrible things about her, and I just wonder how Charles.
Speaker 5: Sold it to her.
Speaker 6: I think maybe he said, look, you can have one of the Chanel gift bags from the event one side for you.
Speaker 3: So Charles wouldn't want this photo to be I think a photo is a whole other level, right, Like knowing that the meeting happened is one thing, but like a happy photo of them all.
Speaker 5: Is very Harry and Meggs would want the photo.
Speaker 1: I think that Harry Meggs would want it out for sure.
Speaker 4: But you can't have it two ways.
Speaker 3: You can't like yell at the Kardashians for posting your photo and then yell at your dad for not doing so.
Speaker 2: Harry has been doing that kind of thing anyway. I just have to tell you this story quickly because it actually also taps into our fame conversation before. So before the happy meeting, Harry had a bad week. I think we talked about it on the show, how he lost this big case that he's been prostituting about on the show.
Speaker 5: I don't think we talked about it on the.
Speaker 2: Show a few times against the Daily Mail, right yeap. And basically one of his defenses in that court case that had been going on and on is that the leaked details that the male had about things that Harry was doing this is quite a long time ago, could only have come through illegal means like phone tapping, because his social circle was tight lipped, sealed shut and impenetrable, safe of informat.
Speaker 6: My favorite bit from the court case, I know we won't go into it, but he apparently when he was on the stand, he spat into the microphone. I've never been to a carnival, because apparently the male reported he went to a carnival. And then unfortunately the barrister for the male stood up and quoted from Spare a time that Harry had been.
Speaker 8: Memoirs.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing is, so he loses this case, and we did talk about there were some serious repercussions to that, but it also meant that everyone who was involved in that case could suddenly start talking, and one of them is Charlotte Griffiths. I'm going to play you a little bit of Charlotte Griffiths, who must have written this big expose that she wanted to publish like months ago and just waiting for the verdict to come in. This is her talking about what she was about to tell us all about Harry's not so leaky social circle.
Speaker 9: I'm Charlotte Griffiths, and I'm the person who received those embarrassing Facebook messages from Prince Harry which I exchanged very many years ago in twenty eleven. I'm about the same age as Prince Harry. I was in his wider social circle for a time. I've been spending time in Eitha with a few of his mates and you know, we formed a friendship, and on the way home from this weekend, he sent me a Facebook message introducing himself and I'd pretty much forgotten all about them, but they came to light in the Prince Harry and Daily Mail trial.
Speaker 6: The person who chose the music for that deserves an oscar. It was a mix between chilling true crime.
Speaker 4: I was like and then as like perfection.
Speaker 5: That's that's the exact right.
Speaker 1: It's so good.
Speaker 2: The messages that she's talking about kind of embarrassing for Harry. They say things like I miss our movie, snuggles and just throws away pull night drinking before he was going to various royal events and basically just being.
Speaker 5: Not hung over. It the trooping of.
Speaker 3: Exactly much do you know. Megan's like, God, damn, I know, so embarrassing.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing is that she also goes on saying that video that if he'd googled her she was working for The Mail, then she was a reporter and she wasn't. She wasn't reporting necessarily on Harry. But if he was so paranoid about his social circle. You'd think he might have googled her before anything else. This is a really good story, this little bit. Then I promise we shall move on. According to the table plan, on the night that Charlotte.
Speaker 6: Meets the Prince, this is at the hunting week. This is at the hunting week. If you met me, what is a hunting weekend?
Speaker 2: This is the way that posh people, really posh people in Britain and invite each other to their country houses for hunting shooting. According to the table planned, Charlotte writes, the Prince and I were to sit next to each other at dinner, and because Harry was doubtless wary about being introduced to an H and M clad stranger, said she was wearing a dress from H and M. He decided to kick start our relationship by subjecting me to a little test. From his pocket, he removed a small white pill. He held it up to my face, popped it onto my tongue, and said, with a smile, now I know I can trust you. So began a short and utterly surreal friendship with the abuliantly young man who was third in line to the throne. She says, take the white pill was a loyalty test. It was almost certainly paracetamol, she says, not wanting to get sued again rather than something more sinister. But I couldn't be entirely sure.
Speaker 6: First question, and when you go away with your young people friends for the weekend, do you always have a seating plan for dinner on Friday night or only sometimes?
Speaker 3: Well, if I was to invite a print, have a seating plan and he'd always be seated near me, So I think that was just really smart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a seating plan.
Speaker 2: Charlotte's sitting there, She says that the first thing he does is this, and it's his trust test.
Speaker 5: And how bad is this?
Speaker 6: Because I saw some remarks online that were like this is really bad because she didn't give consent, and like it could have been anything like how serious?
Speaker 1: She says.
Speaker 2: She says in this story, And again I'm not saying that everything that Charlotte Griffith says is verbatim, but Harry's always kind of denied and dismissed Charlotte's claims, and I'm sure this one too. But the messages were deemed real in the court, and they did find against Harry that did show that his social circle was leaky and that he.
Speaker 5: Was and she left him on red ultimate, yes.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and that she he was sort of reckless in his messaging. But she says in this that she spat it out into a hanky, because that's what you would say if somebody, if you were reporting this story, like nearly twenty years later, when you are a mother of three and you know all of those I definitely.
Speaker 1: Did not Inhale.
Speaker 2: I did not take that bill. But it's an interesting idea of a trust test. We were talking before about fame and how much it messes with you. There is nothing. There's a level of fame obviously that the royals have, particularly in Britain and in those kind of social circles, the kind where they're inviting each other to their country houses.
Speaker 1: They that's why they.
Speaker 2: All hang around with other aristocrats and posh people, right, is they don't want things to leak out. So the idea of a trust test is kind of interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's different ways to go about it, though.
Speaker 1: What would you do pills to people?
Speaker 2: You could just tell them fake things and see what leaked out, like the famous Wagatha Christie case that happened in Britain.
Speaker 1: When that's a former football.
Speaker 3: Great because I'm so good at lying, so I could just tell a bunch of actually, then I would forget what lie I told to which person she wouldn't know. You'll have to just have to do the watermark route that Taylor Swift did on all their wedding invitations.
Speaker 2: She does boast about how tightly lipped her friend circles Holly.
Speaker 6: Do you think this is really bad for Harry, the fact that this story has come out?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I think that in Britain, so Charlotte Griffith said that one of the things she was really worried about, and obviously her story goes on about a lot of other stuff. She said she was really worried about the backlash she'd get, but that actually most of the commentary has been very supportive. I think that fortunately or unfortunately for Harry, the public will goodwill for him in the UK is relatively low. But I think that what has saved his terrible week, because he had this week of terrible press, the finding against him, people coming out with stories.
Speaker 1: Like this, all of that was Charles meeting him.
Speaker 2: I think that then it meant that he could He's done his last public engagement. Now he went and did goat yogurt with which sounds ridiculous, but it was with the children from bereaved military families, which is a great thing for a royal to be doing, particularly one who runs Invictis game.
Speaker 6: He said to a kid there that they make a lemon drizzle cake every year on Diana's birthday.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 2: So I think that I think that it is probably right that the Hawks were all worried that the King, meaning Harry, kind of gave Harry a bit more of a free pass, and they would all like him to disappear, and I think it probably does.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 2: I think this stuff is embarrassing, but it is also a long time ago. And he writes in Spare a lot about how he was lost before he met Megs, doesn't he He writes that he was smoking too much dope and drinking a lot and wandering around in the world aimlessly, and then he met Meghan.
Speaker 6: I just hope Camilla got a Schnelle hand creamer out of the whole thing.
Speaker 2: I really want him to release this picture at the same time that Taylor releases the wedding dress.
Speaker 1: What a week it'll be Christmas.
Speaker 2: We were about to sign off, except that literally, while we've been recording this show, the beautiful Claire Stevens, who we told you at the top of the show, has given birth to a baby who isn't called Brent, it's called Darcy.
Speaker 1: Has sent us a voice Mariage.
Speaker 7: Hi, out louder, is Claire here. You've probably all forgotten about me by now. I was hosting out Loud till just over a week ago.
Speaker 4: But there's so much that has happened since then.
Speaker 7: There's been a wedding of some description. I'm not sure they've talked about it much on the show, but I know that that's kind of been distracting people. But I just thought, in case anybody was interested, I did have a little man Darcy. On Friday afternoon. I was watching Love Island and then I paused Love Island and quickly.
Speaker 4: Had a baby.
Speaker 7: And then I got Macs and it was lovely.
Speaker 1: Then I got back to Love Island.
Speaker 7: But I just wanted to say a huge thank you to all the out louders who were so supportive during pregnancy and so lovely.
Speaker 1: And I've also.
Speaker 7: Read the story of my previous birth and how it was a little bit traumatic and kind of checked in before I gave birth for a second time. I just think it's the most incredible community of women, and I feel very, very lucky to have been in your ears for the last few months.
Speaker 4: Darcy's really freaking cute.
Speaker 7: I have to say, like I'm actually not biased, like he's actually perfect, which I said. I did say to my husband. I said, it's a shame that we're not a trad wife family having fifteen children, because our children are pretty cute. Anyway, I just wanted to say hello, and Darcy says hello and thank you for all the support over the last few months, and I will check in through.
Speaker 2: By God, I could cry another little Stephen's baby, so many of them.
Speaker 1: He is really cute.
Speaker 2: Out loud As class shared pictures on Instagram, so we're not telling any tales here. This baby is so beautiful. Old babies are beautiful, particularly, and so is the macis run.
Speaker 1: And Claire is so right.
Speaker 2: We are so lucky to have a community like you out loud As, who are so supportive of all the various things that happened to us. Before we go, we have one more thing to tell you, Amelia, and I have one more thing to tell you Anyway, Amelia, something that both of us have been working on at Mama Maya for a few months now has just come into the world. It's not a baby. In fact, it's at the opposite end of the list story, the.
Speaker 5: End of the life story.
Speaker 4: Let's say adjacent.
Speaker 1: Okay, tell people what it is.
Speaker 6: Adjacent to having babies, Perry, menopause is not the end.
Speaker 5: It's not the end.
Speaker 1: It's a new beginning.
Speaker 6: Adjacent to having babies is perimenopause, and this is something people have a lot of questions about. So we decided to find out everything you wanted to know about perimenopause but didn't know how to ask.
Speaker 2: Some of the sessions are hosted by me. Some of them are hosted by Amelia. Amelia gets to ask all the good questions. Lee Campbell's doing some of them. Unleashed Kats Mahoney's doing some of them, and they're twenty five leading perimenopause experts across the twenty sessions of the Very Pery on demand series.
Speaker 6: There's so many of these experts and I did a number of interviews for it, including with a sleep expert, including with someone on how your brain changes.
Speaker 5: And that's why I.
Speaker 6: Can't finish that sentence. And I found that after each session, I was telling my friends about all the fascinating facts that I had learned in the sessions, which were explaining so much about why we're feeling the way we are collectively in our forties. So I think it's people are going to get.
Speaker 4: A lot out of it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: It is very pery on demand, is bingeable, so you can watch it whenever you want to in your trackies with a cup of tea. You can watch it more than once, all of those kind of things. You click the link in our show notes to get access, and you can save forty dollars for a limited time on the whole very pery on demand, And that really is it for today.
Speaker 3: Friends, and think you want to add him, No.
Speaker 1: We love you outladas.
Speaker 4: We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Bye.
Speaker 3: Mamammy acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we have recorded this podcast.