Speaker 1: We acknowledged the traditional custodians of the land we're recording on today.
Speaker 2: I have been singing to rue Party, Party, Party, Party, Party, Party, thinking I'm an absolute lunatic, but you've just made me feel like an absolute genius.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome to eat, sleep, shit Repeat. This is the Unhinged Podcast, all about the madness that is motherhood and everything in between. I'm Kelly mccaren and I'm Key re cels And in case you missed it, last week, we kicked off season four with Kell sharing her experience with Lynn as a newborn. We talked about the difference between a crying baby and one that never stops, and knowing when to advocate for your baby.
Speaker 1: This week, we are finally talking about party training. Thank goodness, because I have been begging yay Kelly McCarran to do this. Yeah, I've been begging you wear this for months and you'd rather bury your head in the sand than spend three days at home picking up poos and weez Is that right? It's absolutely right? I just I don't care. We'll be chatting through all of the trends in the shitter, responses on their potty training experiences and a big thank you to those who responded because it was so helpful. I'm not even kidding. I have gone and purchased a few of the things that they recommended.
Speaker 3: Key froths on this sort of stuff too, like just that fucking love getting in there.
Speaker 1: Helpful, mumshit, helpful, Mumshit's my jam girlfriend. And then we chat to our shitter, Sarah, who has over ten years experience in early childhood working with many many families to help support the process of toilet training. She's going to be showing her advice, her tips, her tricks to help us get through this shit.
Speaker 3: Literally, oh god botom shee wow dad joke over here, All right, over to you.
Speaker 1: Kel four Peak and pittance you this week.
Speaker 3: It is, indeed, and they're sort of tied in together. Peak was a really bloody good weekend. On Friday night, my sister and I took Mum to see and Juliette, I really want to see this. It was my second time Key and you know that I'm not a musical person, That's how much.
Speaker 1: I loved it. Shocking, but the music's so good, right because it's like our era of music.
Speaker 3: It's not even the music like to be honest. I do still get sick of the singing. I just can't sit still and listen to people fucking sing for that long.
Speaker 1: But it's so good. I love it. All the characters are so good. Okay, I love Doug. Are they paying you for this plug?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Everyone should go and see Ajuliet while it's still in Sydney because it'll be moving somewhere next I don't know if it's going to Melbourne or shows. Go to Brisbane, agam on, go on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, we've got stuff. Okay, we're actually quite cool anyway.
Speaker 3: So Friday night was and Juliet, and then because Mum was in Sydney, she was looking after lenn on Saturdays.
Speaker 1: It's like so and like as in help.
Speaker 3: Literally we had our third night away from Lenny since he was born.
Speaker 1: That is grim. It's grim.
Speaker 3: And one of those times it was for Luke's dad funerals. It doesn't really count. So second time, whoo. Yeah, so we could go to our beautiful friend's wedding.
Speaker 1: You know who does love a wedding? Luke Lou that man. He loves an event. Yeah, he loves an event.
Speaker 3: He's the first one on the dance floor at a wedding absolutely froths it. So that was really fun, and it was just nice. It was just a really great weekend. And Lenny obviously had so much fun staying with his nan, having a slumber party at cousin's house, so cute. So my pit is so grim. I've lost my piss fitness.
Speaker 1: Oh, Kelly, for fuck's sake, I thought it was something serious.
Speaker 3: Can you can you something serious?
Speaker 1: No? I thought it was something like call the ambilarious wheel Wheel.
Speaker 3: We've I worked so hard to get as fit as I was for my alcoholic consumption, consumption, enjoyment, and it is gone.
Speaker 1: And it's not sad. It's lovely to be a cheap day. You don't have to drink not you don't have to drink as much to get the same buzz I like drinking. Just drink soda water and pretend it's a buddy. It's boring. Oh my god, I'm actually so upset about this. Oh God, I'm still recovering from the fact that it's not something more serious.
Speaker 3: You're serious. I didn't even lose it through pregnancy. My first night out post.
Speaker 1: We just clarify you weren't drinking. I had a glass here all there. Yeah, but you won't like absolutely not clarify.
Speaker 3: But that's what I mean. Like I didn't even lose it. Like my first night out, I was still the last person standing. Yeah, one of the last people standing. Wasn't that bad? The next day, like I had my fitness go girl, it is gone?
Speaker 4: Where did it go?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: I cut back.
Speaker 3: My doctor told me in order for one of my medications to work, I had to cut back because alcohore really affects him. Yeah, okay, so about seven months ago I cut back, and I cut back a lot, Like my face got so less puffy and people are like, oh, you've lost weight. I'm like, no, I really didn't know. Just yeah, don't have a puffy face. And if I didn't realize how bad it was anyway, So I cut back about seven months ago. I still drink, but nothing like what I was before. I never had a problem, but I was drinking a lot. Yeah always, you know, really enjoyed a.
Speaker 1: Tipple or two. Ten.
Speaker 3: I now get drunk really easily, and I get horrible hangovers. Yeah, half a bottle of wine and I feel cranky all day the next day and I feel tired. So it's awful. Key, Yeah, this is what I'm saying. It's a horrible pit. Just spent thirty five years or have long. I've been drinking since out of the woom, working on my fitness. Yeah, to live up to my idol Paris Hilton the party girl.
Speaker 1: Now gone, gone gone, God.
Speaker 3: Next minute, I'm going to be a bloody wellness influenza. Last week I talked about my crystals, be making green smoothies and going for jogs soon.
Speaker 1: Not the job, not the jogs.
Speaker 3: You know how I feel about people who run where itose you used to run every day?
Speaker 1: Anyway? That was my peek and pitch. Well, thanks, but can you please just don't scare me next time?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Today is a good day, finally getting my way on this bloody podcast training Kelly, I just want to know, first and foremost, why were you so against this topic? What is actually the issue here? Because a lot of people requested this.
Speaker 3: I know, even though this is a parenting and lifestyle podcast, I don't care about a lot of parenting stuff.
Speaker 1: You don't care about not having to wipe his ass? No, okay, well I really really don't. I reckon you're the first parent ever.
Speaker 3: I just don't care, and it just seems like a lot of work, and I know that makes me sound incredibly lazy. I also just like, oh, we got overcomplic it, like when he wants to shit on the toilet, he will. However, I'm always very pleased for people when they're like, oh my god, like when you're like, oh, Ruth basically potty trained.
Speaker 1: I'd never said that I go before too. Okay, look the records set. I never frecking said that. Well she was though, so a little bit. Okay, well that's fair, but can you please feign interest for the next forty five minutes?
Speaker 3: I'm interested, excellent, No, I'm very excited to talk to Sarah because she's an expert.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's fab. So I thought it might be a good spot to kick off the episode with where we're currently at with our kids, and someone's si, I guess you have you attempted any form of potty training at all?
Speaker 3: Well, he started showing interest at Christmas time?
Speaker 1: Okay, what were the signs?
Speaker 3: So he was often without an happy because we're in the pool summer summer. Yeah, and he was always very conscious of needing to wee, So he'd look at me and be like wee wee yeah, and holding his duty, and I'd be like, hey, go over to the grass.
Speaker 1: He'd go over to the lovely do a wee yeah.
Speaker 3: And then he also get very embarrassed and upset if he did it on the floor, But I was like, bro, who cares, It's just a wee.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So my sister in law bought him as part of his birthday present one of those potty training books with the charts.
Speaker 1: And everything else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, never opened it, of course, And I went to Kmart got the potty. My sister already had the little seat, yeah, resting on the covered in dust, yeah, resting on the wall of the toilet, caring. Oh yeah, and I haven't done anything. He sits on it like I'll offer it up. Yeah, I say, would you like to use the potty? And he likes to sit on it without pants yep, and just chat.
Speaker 1: Has he done anything in it?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: All right, okay, so that's where we're at. But he likes to sit on it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, in terms of encouraging it, he's very aware, Like he knows when he's doing a pooh, yeah, you know, he laughs and giggles if he's doing a wei in the bath, so I know that he's ready.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's me being lazy. You both have to be ready. A lot of the shit have said that makes sure you're both ready.
Speaker 3: I do want to know what you did, because you did it very quickly and pretty seamlessly with rue, whereas I know so many people it's like years.
Speaker 1: Well, the thing is I didn't want to rush it. It wasn't really on my radar of things. I haven't read one thing about how to do.
Speaker 3: It, and she wasn't even two. Can we just clarify again?
Speaker 4: So around the super mom, super rude Sony will be three and I still wouldn't have in for us the putty.
Speaker 3: Oh one other thing no one in his class is. Oh, and it's not even as finine. It's fine, there's no right or wrong. Every kid is different.
Speaker 1: You probably don't want to be wearing nappies in high school? Well yeah, I mean that's a different thing, isn't it. So it was around maybe the thirteen month mark, around even when she was one ish, like twelve thirteen month mark. She was super interested whenever we were on the toilet, like, what are you doing looking in that poo pooh pooh, poo pool. Do she find it really funny? So funny and she wants to see it anyway, I don't want to get too graphic. I was like, I'm just going to buy her a potty. I'm not going to force her to do anything, but I'm just going to have it next to our toilets. So when we're sitting on it and she's showing interest, I'm just like, hey, why don't you sit on your potty and just like see if anything happens. Question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're both home, do you leave the door open?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, thank god some people do well? No, no, no, we're shutting it.
Speaker 3: I don't shut it for a wi I don't even shut it for a week when you're here.
Speaker 1: But I sit to do wiez obviously, but like, how long does it take?
Speaker 3: It takes a long time for a kid to get out of then happy all over the ladies, I'd see lazy. I'd be like, no, no, no, no, no, this is the thing.
Speaker 1: Right, So this is over summer and she's naked all the time at home, right, So she would just sit on it, and then one day she just started winging in it. Oh my god, little baby genius, rude. And then one day she did a pooh and I was like, without being bribed, no bribery, I haven't never heard of a child.
Speaker 3: I think some kids just do it, just do it right. And then kids that are really potty trained, like they still often for a very long time wait to pooh when they have a nappy on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well this is the thing, right, is that, like I have changed. I can count on one hand huey nappies in the last six months. Like the first one was the other day when we were out and I was on the phone and the girls were watching her and she was telling them poo poo, poo pooh. But they were like, well, I don't know what to do because they're not up to that yet, one of them is. But she was also like, I don't know what to do, So she poohed in r nappy and that was the first one I've done all year.
Speaker 3: People that get smug about that, though you're not a smug, but they'll say, oh, when you not want to change a dirty nappy, what is the difference between wiping a dirty ass?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's the same, Like it's just as gross. Well, it's a bit less a teeny bit less, but it's the same thing, right, So isn't.
Speaker 3: It hard with a little girl? Like do you have to get it a proper leg up?
Speaker 1: Like I just make I just make her put her forearms on the toilet and like pop out her buck, but she hates it. It's actually quite annoying. But the thing we struggled with the most with was wheeze, which I haven't heard of from anyone. Like, well, she started to regularly in the potty and I'm like, okay, cool when she was doing wheeze and stuff. So then I was like, all right, cool, let's try undies. And it was right at the time where she thought it's funny to piss everywhere. So that lasted for a hot minute and I went, it's too soon, and I just took a step back. I was like, the undies are there when we want to use them, YadA YadA, yadda. And then that's kind of been it. But I've noticed that lately she's been running to the toilet when she needs to do a wei. So this week I've taken nappy off again. It's cold, but I just put her in a jumper and she has socks on and she's find our house is like pretty warm, and she's been taking herself, so I think we may be ready to start the toilet or the potties the potty. Okay, yeah, the toilet's too big for her, like she'd fall in. But yeah, quite a funny sight her long limbs.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's kind of been an experience so far. I think just not having any expectation. I wasn't super keen to do it. I wasn't trying to do it. I literally just put it there and I hoped for the best. And I think that that has suited her personality. She's very like I call her a follower. Oh, she likes to follow what people are doing. She likes to follow Goldie around whenever she's not super defiant or no. So she's like into it. But look, there are moments when she's kind of been better or worse. But I think that now she's kind of about the age where we can really do it. But honestly, reading all of the Shitter's responses has been so helpful, I thought I might pull out kind of just the top line themes to the responses, so the average age that I should have started potty training was two and a half. Okay, right, so I'm fine, You're fine. The youngest was twelve months, which I was like, wow, twelve month twelve months? Didn't you say that? There was one lady the baby was like a newborn. There was a shitter that responded who had her friends whose mum potty trained them.
Speaker 3: At three weeks, which I was like, I was, I also just don't believe it. I want to hear that story, but I just do not believe it.
Speaker 1: I mean, it seems far fetched, but we believe U shit is. But I made think that lady's lying. No, no, no, not the shit align the mom and mum exactly. That was like a Karn at her PTA meeting, just being like, oh, they leave it so long these days. I potty trained mine at three weeks old. It's like they can't even look their head.
Speaker 3: They're still shitting their pants. Karen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the oldest was three and a half. That's still a toddler. Still a toddler for sure. But the post get bigger, the bigger they get reasons for starting showing interest with the parents or siblings, siblings. Some people seem to be quite good just awareness of like hating wearing a wet or soiled nappy, or vocalizing when they would be going to the loose. So they were just like hyper aware of it. Talking about potty training maybe being at daycare and seeing other people do it a necessity. A lot of people said it was due to necessity of the child moving to the preschool room and they have to and a lot of daycares they have to be potty trained by then, aren't necessity when another baby's on the way, not wanting to change two lots of diapers, totally get that warmer weather, wanting to do it before the next win, which is really true because a lot of potty training, they say to Strip and Bear. A couple of them said that their kids probably weren't ready, but also thought that they may have never been so really far from being ready, being dry overnight and in between nappy changes. And then the last one was my favorite. I was ready to stop changing shitty nappies, fair so fair. The number one resources that she has used was the Oh crap book that seemed to be really popular. I wonder if that's the one that I got from my sister in law that I haven't opened. Ye could have been that seconds was big little feelings course, like there's a potty training course. A lot of people were like none. I just trusted my gut and I trusted what my kid was doing. It's not rocket science. No, educators at childcare and other mums are really good. Good old Google. And then a lot of those books and courses that I mentioned, they used like reward charts to help set up like a good behavior, so that was the other kind of thing they did. The general consensus was poohs are a lot harder than wheeze, which wasn't helpful for me. Every kid is different, and the people who said they started too early said that their kid has continued to struggle.
Speaker 3: So I thought that was really really interesting.
Speaker 1: There were so many good tips. I didn't want to double up because we aren't going to be talking to Sarah later, so we're gonna pop them on socials so you can read through and by all of the recommendations that the shitters shared. Okay, so I've shared the shitter's responses. Cal talk to me about your friends, because I know you've got friends with older kids who've been through it.
Speaker 3: What I know, and I guess one of the reasons why I've never worried too much. Like I'm making jokes about being lazy, but he has the potty there to sit on. He's very interested when Evelyn, I'm like, do you want to use your potty? And he's like no, No. It's like I'm talking same thing, like they're gonna walk. But they're all just so different. Like my girlfriend's child were so advanced in so many different ways. Yes, speaking the things that she would remember, but still has a chart, and it's so cute to'll be like I tried, and then there'll be like one stuff.
Speaker 1: That's all that's really sweet.
Speaker 3: And then my girlfriend nat her child was three and completely potty trained, even night wow, no night nappies. He would go to the bathroom before I know. I'm like, how that seems so far away. I have another girlfriend, though, who's eight year old, stills in a night nappy. Yeah, and she's kind of like, eh, I don't want to have to get up and change the sheets all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got so sick of it.
Speaker 3: At one point, he will be embarrassed and he will get his lazy ass out of bed and go to the toilet. Yeah, But she did have this thing. She used to say to me. Oh, when he has his first sleepover, that's when I reckon he will give up the night nappy because he'll be embarrassed. But apparently his friend came over and was like, they both had their night nappies. Stop it. But you know he will stop it when I guess he's Yeah. Yeah, so you're not a teenager or an adult wearing a nappy at all, Well, not until you get so old you might need a nappy. Yeah, there's no textbook, there's no rule. Everyone sort of just does what's best for their kids. Yeah, and at the end of the day, the kid gets there the end they do.
Speaker 1: Some people can feel the pressure, but I do think like reading those responses, doing it too early, you just don't want to push them when it's something like that because it's such a personal and private thing and you don't want to maybe or weird feelings around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, Like all it's dirty, especially about your reaction to it. And Lenny gets embarrassed if you waze on the phone, it's fine, it's just wait. Yeah, I don't know if i'deel the same about poop.
Speaker 1: Well, we are giving advice that we really shouldn't be giving, so, like we said, are not so practically, Yeah, we need to talk to someone who knows what they're talking about. And that person is our shit is Sarah, who is an educator of over ten years. Let's welcome her on to the show. Sarah, thank you so much for joining us. We are desperate to chat with you. Really, we wanted to kick it off by just asking you the question that I think all parents are asking, how do we know when our kid is ready to start potty training?
Speaker 5: I think the big thing is you're looking developmentally at where a child's at. One child when they're ready versus another child when they're ready. It is totally different. Realistically, they're learning a new skill, you know, they're learning something new, and I think it's even harder because they also have to listen to their body and that's, you know, even as adults, really hard to do. You'd say roughly between eighteen months and three years, and that's such a huge amount of time where they could be ready. So I think you know, you also want to look at what task they can do. Are they someone that you can say, hey, go and get that ball for me, or can you go and find your drink bottle. If that's something that they can do easily, that's also something that would say to me that they're ready. Because if you're asking them, hey, let's go and sit on the toilet and they don't know how to do that, then that's you know, tricky. I suppose you know, you would look at some base cues would be can they tell you when they've you know, got a wet nappy? Are they showing you? Are they telling you? I mean, toddlers do this a lot. Are they besting in on you on the toilet? You know they're interested in what you're doing, or in a childcare setting, often they might show interest in their friends and their peers as well on the toilet, or you know, maybe they're wanting to take their nappies off. I suppose the showing that they're ready to explore that part it's really child dependent.
Speaker 3: I suppose you've actually just blown my mind a little bit with the simplicity of seeing like the signs in terms of how responsive they are to your questions or instructions, because just thinking about lots of little kids that I know they do reach that stage at such different times. When can you go get mummy this, whereas you know, a kid the exact same age might not even acknowledge you, whereas the same age child might be like, goes and get something for you as soon as you ask. That's such a good way to sort of think about if they're ready.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because a lot of people are searching for the cues, which are many you listed, But they could have all the cues in the world, but if they still can't actually follow that direction, it's not going to be successful. You kind of need that as your I guess foundation to then follow the cues.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, so whether or not they're sort of showing those signs or you know, signaling that they're ready. What age would you say a kid absolutely should be potty trained by?
Speaker 5: Look, I would say before school. Like if they're three and a half or they're four and they're not toilet training, you'd really sort of, you know, start to look into doing that with a little bit more of a time frame. Again, you're looking at developmentally, maybe there's something else there that's preventing them from doing that, and ots and occupational therapists are great for things like that if they need that additional support with that. But school ideally would be when you want to get them toilet trained.
Speaker 3: I feel like as well, it's pretty normal though everyone went to school with someone that we their pants or shot themselves, right totally.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen to the best of us. That can happen as adults.
Speaker 5: Really, My sister's a prep teacher and she has had a couple of children that she needs to toilet train. Or we're pretty much almost there, and then you know, they got to school and they regressed a little bit as well, because it's a new environment and that's normal and that's natural for that to happen as well.
Speaker 1: On that note, we did a little poll with the shitters and asked them about their potty training experience, and something that was quite interesting that came up was a lot of the parents who responded identified that they perhaps started too soon, said that their kid often continued to struggle with toilet training. Has that been similar in your experience?
Speaker 5: Absolutely? I think. You know, you also want to look at environmental factors. You know, maybe you've moved house, maybe you've changed childcares, maybe there's a new sibling, maybe mum's gone away for work. Little things like that can really set them back, you know, or maybe even something as simple as you've now changed around their room at home, like little tiny things can really have a setback for toilet training, and I think, you know, it's not you start toilet training and then that's it. Sometimes it takes two or three goes. And it also differs between siblings and for some people genders as well. So sometimes we have families that go, oh, yes, they toilet trained in one weekend and that was great, and then unfortunately for them, they get lured into a false sense of security for the sibling and often, you know, it takes them a month or a couple of months to really nail that toilet training and listening to their bodies and when they need to go. So it's totally normal that that happens, you know. Or maybe they start toilet training before they start daycare and all of a sudden it's a new environment and they're regressing a little bit, or even medically, you know, things come up like a uti, they don't want to go to the toilet anymore because they're already having these issues. So it's totally normal that some of them are going to regress, and some children need to take three or four times to do it.
Speaker 3: I'm even thinking about kids that are obsessed with their dummies, my child included. But how much sickness like regresses that weaning process. So whenever Len has been sick, he just becomes so much more reliant on it again and wants it all the time, whereas when he's really well doesn't ask for it during the day anymore. So it's like, I guess those two steps forwards, one step back everything, I guess when you're parenting totally.
Speaker 1: So what the f do we do? I'm so glad that you said that it can take longer than three days, because a lot of people were saying, Yeah, these courses and these books are telling me to do it in three days, but realistically there are still going to be accidents, et cetera. After so we've got the cues from the kid, they know how to take direction.
Speaker 5: What do we do now, I think, you know, there's no one size fits all Again, we look individually at what works for the child. I suppose some children do potties, some children do a toilet and a seat over the toilet. Some families do potty parties where they do do that you know, three day crash course of potty training and it's rudy neudy around the house, and you just kind of follow them around with a potty and see if that works.
Speaker 3: And hope for the best.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, and you know, you kind of put poppy pads around the house and hope for the best, you know, or a lot of families do over summertime because the weather is a little bit warmer and it's easier clothing wise as well. You know, you're not taking off seventeen layers in winter, You're only really taking off a couple of layers. And if your child goes to daycare, talk to your educators about what they do. I know, something that we do often is when we're changing their nappies, even if you know, maybe they're getting towards that age. When we take the nappies off, we just sit them on the toilet and if nothing happens then that's fine. But there's no fear associated with the toilets. And I think daycare as well. One great thing is that they've got those little tiny toilets, so they're not these big scary things where you know, you look at their little bottoms and they might fall in, you know, so it's a little bit easier on those small little toilets. I know some parent rooms as well have them. It is great that we listen to our community as parents, but I think it's also you've got to take it with a grain of salt. You want to make sure that you get it right for your child. And I think it's really hard not to listen to families and oh, yes, we did it this way, and then we did it this way, and it does it gets so confusing. You're like, what the hell am I supposed to do? I think it is a little bit of trial and error. I think is the biggest thing is trying a few different things. I think a great way for preparing for that process is, you know, just getting some books about toilet training and about your body. I know Camart's got some great ones around toileting for boys and toileting for girls, because that's a whole now they can fish, I suppose.
Speaker 3: Oh the duties they make it go everywhere. I'm like, when Lenny sits on the potty, I'm like, bub, bub, don't sit on it.
Speaker 1: Tuck it down, Tuck it down.
Speaker 5: We say that a lot. Yeah, absolutely, Okay, into the toilet, pant it into the toilet. But then also for males, I suppose, you know, sometimes it is easier to do stand up wheez initially as well, or to squat over the potty. It's really different for every child, and I think starting that process of having those conversations and role modeling. I suppose, oh, I feel like I need to go to the bathroom, and you're saying that to your child before you go. You know, I'm just going to the bathroom, and you know they probably don't care, but you're role modeling that and they might say I'm going to the bathroom, or I need to go to the bathroom. And some families have key phrases that they use. It might be my body's telling me to go to the toilet, and then the educators of the daycare will say that, or whatever the case may be. So maybe you nail down a couple of key phrases, and you know, you read your books at nighttime before you go to bed. But trial and error process is the best.
Speaker 1: Must be nice.
Speaker 3: If someone has a kid that doesn't care if they go to the bathroom or not, mine acts like he's being tortured. If I have the audacity to leave him to go to the toilet, or he will come with me and bring himself some snacks so he can really settle in.
Speaker 5: It's a real show.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I can't go near him if he's doing his business. He wants complete privacy. So, Sarah, are there some kids that just don't get it and struggle a lot more?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, it's definitely something that some kids really show with and that might be a sign that they're not quite ready and you might give it another three months for you to do that as well. They just quite haven't worked it out. I know in particular, wheeze are easier, but pooh is a totally different process. So they'll do wheeze on the potty like that, but getting them to you know, go into a pooh on the potty is a totally different process. Like I know, there's a lot of children that you know, they feel more comfortable doing that in a nappy, and so that can be a hard process too, is making that transition from going to the toilet and a nappy versus a toilet. A great tip that I like to think about in that situation is I like to put a pair of undies on and then a nappy over the top, so they're still feeling that wetness, but it's kind of containing it, I suppose as well, particularly like you're in the car or something like that, they're still feeling that wetness, but they have that comfort of a nappy as well. So that's always a nice trick.
Speaker 1: That's a good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, and it's so easy. I think. You know, you're buying a lot of undies anyway, when you're starting toilet training. You go to kmart and you buy the twenty pack, and there's going to be some sacrifices, like ten out of those twenty undies they're not making at home. So you're going through those things anyway, and so you know, another sign that maybe they're not ready is that they're going through a lot of pairs of clothes, you know, ten or more maybe that day, and so you would maybe reconsider that, but ask them as well. If they're of the age where you can ask them, you know, do you need to go to the toilet and they're not interested, then hey, we're not going to push it. You know. You just want them to listen to their bodies and follow the cues.
Speaker 3: Really, so I was just like giggling to myself about the undies because I was thinking, like, it's really not the time where we need to be worrying too much about our impact on the environment, because no one needs to be scraping fecal matter off abricks.
Speaker 5: It's not No, it's not pleasant, definitely not. It's messy. It's messy.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned the Kmart books and the different phrases that families can kind of use in order to get that, I guess repetition and the kids to identify when to use the bathroom. Are there any other resources that you recommend to your parents.
Speaker 5: I definitely think there's a lot of videos that talk about it as well. A lot of kids, you know, will be spending time watching things on YouTube. There's a lot of great videos that are appropriate within the internet. I think you know, obviously watch them before you you know, let your child watch them. But around toileting, I.
Speaker 1: Think there's a wiggles one see it all the time.
Speaker 5: You'll work out what your child likes. Like There's some children are really into books, they love books, and so that's going to work for them. There will be some children that really like songs, and so you know, some families have a toilet song and that's the song that they sing when they're going to the toilet, because that's their child's a little bit more musically inclined, I suppose. So I definitely think songs and books, anything that is going to get them involved in that process, like, hey, we're doing this new thing. Like maybe you go with them and they come with you to pick their undies that they want to wear when they're toilet training, I think is a big one, and things like you know, maybe it's Elsa or maybe it's Poor Patrol or Spider Man, and they want to wear those things, I think, and you talk to them about that through that process, and you know, it's like a big celebration. Oh it means you're a big girl or a big boy now because you're going to be toilet training. So that might not work for every child. You know, that might be too much pressure on that particular child. So really, just again, you know your child best. I think you listen to your child and what works.
Speaker 1: It's just so comforting hearing like someone who's been through that experience that all works in that environment. Though, because I have been.
Speaker 2: Singing to rue party, party, party, party, party, party, thinking I'm an absolute lunatic, but You've just made me feel like an absolute genius because she loves singing, she loves dancing, and she gets so stoked when we're singing and dancing on the party.
Speaker 1: So it's just so funny, isn't it, Like exactly what you said. You know your kids, you're the expert on your kids, Like, we do know how to do this. I think it's just hearing someone else be like, you're doing it. That's right for your kid, Like all of the things are there. It's just that encouragement from someone that's like, yeah, duh, do it.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, doing it absolutely. And I think consistency is key. You know, you chat with the daycare teachers about this is what we do at home. Hey, let me show you our potty song that we see and she will do that at daycare. And it's that consistency because that's what you guys do at home, so you'll do that at daycare as well, and so everyone's going to be singing the potty song, you know, and that might help another child because that's what they like to do as well. So keeping it consistent, I think is really helpful. Or you tell grandma or you tell the babysitter everyone's on the same page as to what that looks like.
Speaker 1: So helpful.
Speaker 3: You've made me feel like not a terrible parent for like just sort of chilling about this my pleasure.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me on well, big.
Speaker 1: Thing ks to Sarah. I'm feeling a lot better about that now.
Speaker 3: Kelly you yes, yes, and also really enjoyed the chat.
Speaker 1: I will say, yeah, I knew you would. If you'd let me do it sooner, you could have had a lot of fun sooners all I'm saying, well, you know.
Speaker 3: On that note, thank you so much for listening to us today. I hope that we've helped you in anyone or we've at least given you a little bit of a giggle. We are only two epps into the new season, but we would love to get your feedback on the jazzy new format. Chat to us in the Facebook group or hit us up on Insta.
Speaker 1: We will pop our handles in the show notes. Yes we were. This episode was produced by myself and Kelly, with audio production by Madeline Joanna Bye.