Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mea podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mea acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on Hello and welcome to Mamma Mia out loud. It's what women are actually talking about on Monday, the fifth of August.
Speaker 1: I'm Holly Wainwright, I'm Mere Friedman.
Speaker 3: And I'm m Vernon filling in for Jesse today. She's a bit sick.
Speaker 2: She is a bit sick. Blessed us sending healing vibes your way, my friend. On today's show, how a very non expert Olympic roundup, including an apparent gender panic, exes, women gold together, and a river of poop.
Speaker 1: I watched so.
Speaker 4: Much Olympics on the weekend. Good It's like my background.
Speaker 2: It's very soothie.
Speaker 3: Are you a sporty girl?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 4: No, but I've got a lot of opinions.
Speaker 2: Also, the Royal Sussexes of Montecito have given their first joint interview since that Oprah show, And it's not about jam and movie star maths. What George Clooney, Glenn Powell and Ryan Gosling have in common that Tom Cruise, Bradley Cooper and Ben affleck definitely do not. But first m Vernon. In case you.
Speaker 3: Missed it, the real star of the Olympics is a chocolate muffin.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, the muffin man, the modern man, the muffin Man.
Speaker 3: The Olympic village cafeteria has gone viral on TikTok. Athletes are rating and reviewing all the food that's been served to them. One athlete in particular, named Henry Christiansen, who's on Norwegian distance swimmer, has taken the ranking of.
Speaker 1: The foods very seriously.
Speaker 3: So he gave the village an eleven out of ten for their chocolate muffin and has now made over ten tiktoks dedicated to the Seth muffin.
Speaker 1: Oh I love him.
Speaker 4: I'm so fascinated by the Olympic dining room. I mean, I imagine there's lots of them, because there's you got ten thousand athletes or more in the village. But I also heard that there's a shortage of protein. Yeah, because they tried. The French wanted to contribute a little less to global warming by using more plant based proteins. And there are some people who aren't happy because there's not enough.
Speaker 3: Like steak no, and they've been going in on like all the Pasta's like a lot of it's serve cold. We got a car bload if you're trying old. But not everyone likes our friend Henrik, who's now called the muffin Man. Other atleasts have been making tiktoks going I'm trying to get a chocolate muffin, but I think that one Norwegian swimmer has taken them all, so he's like stashing them, he's hoarding them. He's been commenting on all of their tiktoks as well, going you'll never find that.
Speaker 6: Do you know what.
Speaker 4: I've been in trouble a lot of times at buffets because I'm often not that hungry in the morning, but when you're somewhere and there's a great buffet, I like to just grab a few things for later. It always mortifies my family that I do this. And one time I was at a restaurant and we're having breakfast at this hotel and the waiter came over and said, you can't take the food, and I went I didn't, and he.
Speaker 2: Said, madam, would you empty your bag please. You might have heard that a gender war has broken out at the Paris Olympics, you might have seen a picture from a boxing final accompanied by a message from perhaps JK Rowling jd vance Elon Musk claiming that a man just broke a woman's nose in the Olympic boxing ring in a natural conclusion of a radical transagenda. So let's unpack this a little bit. On Thursday, Paris time, Algerian boxer Imane Khalif fought Italian boxer Angela Karini in a boxing heat. Right, obviously I am not a boxing expert, but they're in weight divisions. They're in the sixty six kilo weight division, and they had a boxing match. At forty five seconds, Karini pulled out of the fight after a heavy blow to the face. She said at the time that she had never felt a punch like it, and that's when a storm erupted. Because last year, in an unexplained move, Khalif was one of two boxers suspended from the World Boxing Championships by the International Boxing Association, who cited that she and another athlete who's also at the Olympics, a Taiwanese boxer called Lynn Uting, had failed the organization's gender eligibility test. Now at the time, the IBA, So that's the Boxing Association would not disclose what kind of testing the women had failed. And it's worth noting that the organization itself is under a serious cloud of corruption allegations.
Speaker 4: Well, they've been deregistered and disqualified as a governing body because of corruption, bribery, fraud, a whole bunch of things. And it's worth noting that this mysterious gender test that was conducted on the two boxers happened after Imani, the Algerian boxer, beat a Russian boxer. And the IBA, the International Boxing Association is run, well, it's.
Speaker 2: President is Russia. Its president is a Russian man who is a close ally of Putins. So yes, there's a lot of controversy surround the IBA, And as you say, the Olympic Committee does not recognize them, nor do lots of other like the American Boxing Committee, lots of places don't. Just a bit of a sidebar to explain how this works, right, the International Olympic Committee no longer runs any gender testing, so they don't do gender testing. Individual sports all have their own federations and they all have their own different rules for gender eligibility. And you probably would understand why this has been under a spotlight a lot in recent years. There have been some high profile controversies. The swimmers who are competing at the Olympics, for example, have all passed and fallen in line with the gender eligibility rules of the swimming authority.
Speaker 3: And then do the swimming authorready send that to the IOC.
Speaker 2: So the only thing the IOC will check is that the athletes their passport matched the gender that they're competing in. But you pass the tests by doing it within your own sport, and those tests themselves vary depending on what your sport is. So it might involve a testosterone test, it might involve a raft of other medical tests like a physical exam, an ultrasound, a chromosome test. But the test that these boxes are alleged to have failed has not been no details of it right from this now shady organization. So back to Emmani Khalif the story was immediately picked up and you would have seen the images everywhere as a cultural.
Speaker 4: Issue, and I think, you know, I just want to say what I think a lot of people probably saw over the weekend, reading a headline, flicking through something on social media. It seemed like this was a transgender issue, and that it was the two female boxers were trans women.
Speaker 1: That is actually not the case.
Speaker 2: So jd Vance tweeted, this is where Kamala Harris's ideas about gender lead to a grown man pommeling a woman in a boxing match. This is disgusting. All our leaders should condemn it. The problem with this is, well, there are many problems with this, but is they're missing something very important. There is no evidence at all that Calif is not exactly who she says. She is a woman who has always boxed as a woman, has had a long, long career in women's boxing, and has identified as a woman since birth.
Speaker 1: She's lost to women. She has made women just like every other athlete.
Speaker 2: The IOC president Thomas Back had to make a statement, and this is what he said.
Speaker 7: Let's be very clear here. We are talking about women's boxing, and we have her two boxers who were born as a woman, who have been raised as a woman, who have a passport as a woman, and who have competed for many years as woman. And this is the clear definition of a woman. There was never any doubt about them being a woman. What we see now is that some her want to own the definition of who is a woman.
Speaker 2: After that match, she went on to win her next match against a Hungarian boxer. That was a long drawn out match. She won it on points. She broke down afterwards because the attention around her has become absolutely hysterical. There are lots of reporters talking about the hordes of presser at these things. Now you know, obviously she is just being absolutely pummeled with questions and no doubt online abuse. She broke down in tears after that win, and she said, this is a matter of dignity and honor for every woman or female. For years, I've been boxing in international federation competitions. I want to tell the entire world that I am a female and I will remain a female. Mia. Is this just a big, ugly distraction.
Speaker 1: It is, and it's devastating.
Speaker 4: My heart goes out to Imiani and to the other female boxer, the Italian woman that Amiani bate, who withdrew from the man and screamed, it's not fair, it's not fair. She then clarified, I was talking about my career ending this way. She was very careful. She did not say anything about that a money shouldn't have competed.
Speaker 2: Because she's also copying a lot of abuse.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I feel so sorry for these athletes, and I think that it is such a good example of how people will latch onto something and weaponize it to advance a cause that they might believe in. The messages in my group chats were all like, can someone explain to me what this is? Because I thought it was a transgender thing, but now I think maybe it's not. But everybody's being a little bit opaque about what's going on. I think at the heart of it, and if you've watched any Olympics or any sport or being to the beach, women look a lot of different ways. And if we are now going to be looking at women and making judgments based on how they look and whether they conform to certain stereotypical ideas about what a woman should look like, or how they perform, and if they particularly strong or particularly good at their sport, which I thought was the point of the Olympics, then I think this is just the most shocking regressive thing to happen to us. And I think it's so important to say this is not what people like J. K Rowling and Elon Musk and jdie Vans are trying to make you think it is.
Speaker 1: It's not, and these poor women.
Speaker 3: I think it goes beyond the athletes as well. I think it's become a full culture thing. Like I have PCOS, which means that my testosterone levels are quite high.
Speaker 4: Polycystic ovarian syndrome, Yes, I had that too. I don't know if I've got no ovaries anymore, but I had that too, and it can What are some of the symptoms, Well.
Speaker 3: Before I was diagnosed. I was diagnosed around fifteen, but I had really severe effects from I guess the ages of nine up until and then I went on the pill and it helped a bit.
Speaker 2: Can have things like facial hair, a.
Speaker 3: Lot of like dark thick facial hair, body hair. My voice was deeper. I had like not I guess stereo typical woman's body. And at that age I remember like the boys in my class because I had more hair than them and I had a deeper voice. They would ask me, are you a man? And I was probably like nine to ten. And then I grew up and it felt like every woman understood. Like every woman I talked to has been like, oh, yeah, I get facial hair as well. Yeah, like it feels like PCOS is now being talked about more, and this what happened in the boxing ring just shows that it isn't.
Speaker 2: It's also shows the complexity of As I've said before, the gender eligibility tests are very complicating because it is not as simple as testosterone levels or all kinds of different things. So yeah, as Mia said, if you've just glanced this story or you've seen some particularly emode of imagery being shared around because some of the pictures selection has been shocking, shock gemes just always like we've talked about rage baiting last week, and this is a bit of an example of rage baiting, right, It's like, take a breath, see what's really going on? What else is happening in the Olympics.
Speaker 4: Well, I thought it would be good to check in on the state of the Senn River and all the pooh that's been running through it.
Speaker 3: Shouldn't they fix it?
Speaker 4: They spent one and a half billion dollars trying to fix it, and the Paris mayor even took a dip herself to say nothing to see here the water is safe.
Speaker 1: Oh darling.
Speaker 2: She would have had her mouth close such times like don't make me do it?
Speaker 7: Please.
Speaker 2: It's like in Jaws when they were like, you go for a swim in that you go for a swim. God, I'll show everybody that the beach is safe.
Speaker 4: Out loud As might remember that there was a pooh protest by Parisians who were not happy about the Senn having all that money spent on it, or perhaps they were unhappy about the Olympics coming unclear, but there was an organized go poo in the Seinn campaign where you got a time where you would have.
Speaker 1: To go anyway.
Speaker 4: So they claimed that it was all okay, but it was checked recently and it still has pretty.
Speaker 1: Dangerous high levels of E.
Speaker 4: Coli bacteria, which is essentially pooh.
Speaker 1: Now, the triathlon.
Speaker 4: Happened over the last few days and it look it didn't go well for a lot of the athletes who had to swim in the Sein.
Speaker 1: They had to push it back.
Speaker 4: Originally they did because there was a lot of rain, as we saw in the opening ceremony, and a lot of stormwater came into the Sein, and we know what storm water is full of. So Canadian athlete you might have seen this. It's gone viral. His name's Tyler Mislachuk and he came in ninth place in the men's triathlon earlier this week. He crossed the finish line and immediately started vomiting. He said that he started he vomited times.
Speaker 3: I've actually seen for videos of this.
Speaker 4: Yes, there are pictures of something like a Renaissance painting or the car park at the Melbourne Cup. It's just athletes vomiting lying on the ground. People weren't great in terms of how they felt afterwards. But the men's triathlon was actually postponed. But something that I just will never be able to get out of my mind. One of the male triathletes, American Seth Ryder. He said he had a special plan this is before it happened, to combat all the E coli. He said that he was going to try and increase his body's resistance to it. He said, we know there's going to be some E coli exposure, so I just tried to increase my E coli threshold by exposing myself to a bit of E coli in my day to day life. And he said it's backed by science. Just little things throughout your day, like not washing your hands after you go to the bathroom. Oh no, so I mean that's Olympic commitment. Eating your own food. It sort of acclimatize your body to eating other people's. Now, in case you're wondering, the women triathletes did not have a better time. In fact, Belgian triathlete Jolly and Vermelin made it sound like she'd lived through a horror film. She said, while swimming under the bridge, I felt and saw things that we shouldn't think about too much.
Speaker 1: She said. I drank a.
Speaker 4: Lot of river water, so well know tomorrow if I'm sick or not. It did not taste like sprite.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also with the guy who didn't wash his hands, I'm like, was it worth it? Like I don't think he played.
Speaker 5: That's the worst.
Speaker 3: I really feel bad for these athletes, especially because they had no choice. They just had to do it, like hold their breath, Well, you have to hold your breath anyway.
Speaker 4: Well, there's a long distance swim happening I think in the next few days, which is going to be really bad.
Speaker 3: I think they should have bought I have a new Roman Empire check. Tennis players Katerina Sinakova and Thomas Mahach have won gold in the mixed doubles tennis tournament. When they won, they embraced each other and kissed. Now this is a big deal, Like they kissed on the lips because they used to date. They were in a relationship for four years, and then they broke up just before the Olympics, and it cause like this whole content. They break up because they wanted to focus on getting gold even though they're playing together.
Speaker 4: I would have thought that breaking up would have been a distraction because you've got it like four years. Probably they are living together, Like you've got to move, you gotta find something that's disruptive.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's like you know how there's a sex band that some footballers have to have and stuff before they play to like really build up that tension.
Speaker 1: I swear god, these people are so committed. We've got one guy eating his own poop.
Speaker 4: You've got another couple who were breaking up just so that they can focus.
Speaker 1: It seems like it turned out better for them.
Speaker 3: I think it worked out, guys.
Speaker 2: I think also know if they're like, because everybody is obsessed now with whether or not they're getting back together because they won gold.
Speaker 3: I think they're together. They haven't confirmed, but they cheekily said we love making you guys confused. Oh but they said it's private between us.
Speaker 2: They know how to play the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think this is a reason why you never date your colleagues, because this is what happened. They could be solely responsible for you getting a gold medal or not.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Years ago, Brent was training this like walking team who were doing this really like you know, one of those charity walks that goes through the night twenty four hours. And there was a couple in it and they broke up a week before the war and I had to walk together and they had to walk together for twenty four hours, and they literally wouldn't walk. One of them would be sent to it.
Speaker 8: Can you, Brent, can you tell Sally she's not walking fast enough? Well, Brent, could you tell Bobby that he's being too greedy with that water and he needs to share it around?
Speaker 1: That's what this would be like.
Speaker 2: Imagine the coach of the doubles team and she's like, can you tell him that he really needs to pull his pants out of his bomb? It's very unflattering.
Speaker 4: Well, I've got a theory about working together as a couple who has worked together with I've worked on my husband for the last.
Speaker 1: Fifteen or more years.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I wonder if every relationship has got it's like how long you can go on your tire right before the tire wears out, how long your relationship can go.
Speaker 1: And when you work together.
Speaker 4: I wonder if you just wear it out faster, that you get to the end of that period of time faster.
Speaker 1: Like dogies like, yeah, like you burn through it faster.
Speaker 3: I think it works if you have a hard like split. What I'm thinking happened with these two was that they said it was mutual, but obviously then much break up. I think they were in a I think they were in a situationship just because they kissed at the end, so I think there's been something learning. So I don't think they fully broke up when they said they broke up. I think they were like, let's just separate for a bit, let's see what happens when we win.
Speaker 4: I've certainly been in times where I've just gone, oh, look, the relationships not great, but it's just would be too complicated to break up because we also work together.
Speaker 1: And then you move past it and then you're like, oh, I'm glad I didn't break up.
Speaker 3: I'm surprised they won because if I was her, I'd just be going, oh, I wonder if I'm standing okay, is he looking at me? Because he'll probably be back there right looking and she'll be in the front.
Speaker 2: They can't have had a feel like a really long term relationship. They're not thinking about it.
Speaker 3: They're in a situationship, and I think they're back together.
Speaker 2: We've all heard about the Olympic village beds and how they're no good for having sex. I hope they celebrated their gold with the hotel room.
Speaker 3: I would have been on the floor.
Speaker 9: Let's talk about royals, please, Let's talk about Harry and Meg's. Let's talk about.
Speaker 1: All the good things and the good things.
Speaker 9: That makes them. Let's talk about royals. Let's talk about royals. Let's talk about royals. Let's talk about royals.
Speaker 4: In Royal News, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have still not released any jam. I should say the Duchess because I don't think the Duke's involved in the jam.
Speaker 1: I check every day. Yeah, and that's the end of the segment.
Speaker 3: All the dog biscuits, I'm keen on the dog biscuits.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Harry and Meghan have actually sat down for their first TV interview together in three years since they chatted to Oprah and we all remember where we were that day.
Speaker 1: And that was a great day of work. Great.
Speaker 4: It really was a preview from the Duke and Duchess. I'm just going to call them Harry and Meghan. A preview of their conversation from CBS Sunday Morning, a program with Jane Pauley, who's like, you know, just like Elsa Wilkinson, a very well respected commentator of interviewer journalist. This time they're not discussing the royal family. They're discussing the online threats facing children and they've launched a new campaign all about children and mental health and the impact of social media. They've been similar campaigns in Australia. There's been the thirty six Months campaign, which we talked about here, which is trying to increase the amount of time before which children legally allowed to be on social media by three years. And they've put together this incredibly moving video that they're not in that his interviews with a number of couples who have lost children to suicide after things that have happened to them on social media. Bullying and harassment. The campaign's called no Child Lost to social media, and in this interview, Megan revealed her own struggles with mental health and suicidal adiation, which she says really made her want to do something for kids.
Speaker 10: When you've been through any level of pain or trauma, I believe part of our healing journey, certainly part of mine, is being able to be really open about it. I haven't really scraped the surface on my experience, but I do think that I would never want someone else to feel that way, and I would never want someone else to be making those sort of plans, and I would never want someone else to not be believed. If me voicing what I have overcome will save someone or asks or encourage someone in their life to really genuinely check in on them and not assume that the appearance is good so everything's okay, then that's worth it. I'll take a hit for that anyone watching this or anyone who's able to make change, So look at it through the lens of what if it was my daughter now?
Speaker 4: As captain of the Eye roll is usually when it comes to Harry and Meghan stories, I'm not going to go down the path of the predictable respons which is they should shut up.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be lectured by them.
Speaker 4: Although I don't like being lectured by them, I think this is a really great thing to do for them. I think that the criticism has been of the psychobabble. You could hear a little bit of it there, and I should disclose. At the time we're recording this, the full interview hasn't been released, so we haven't actually watched the whole thing, but we've seen quite a few excerpts of it and read some things about it. So I think the backlash is predictable. But surely it's a good thing whole, right if they're using their voice or is it a bad thing?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a good thing. It's definitely a good thing. The thing that's really interesting about I mean, it just speaks of Roman Empires. My obsession with the strategy, the Sussex strategy is never ending.
Speaker 1: Because do you think it is?
Speaker 2: Because it's multi pronged, right, So this is part of the parents network. They've set up this organization. It's part of their arch Well Foundation, which is their sort of overarching charitable arm. So in their post rural life have different sort of quadrants of business. I guess right, they have a portfolio. If they do, they have a portfolio career exactly that. So they've got their Netflix Steal, which was obviously that documentary that made a bajillion dollars for Netflix because it was so massive. And Megan has been filming a lifestyle series which, oh, oh my god, I just cannot wait. That will be a very happy day for me when that drops, and very well placed sources. So that's close and that it's real. We don't know exactly what form it takes.
Speaker 1: Is it a cooking show.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's exactly a cooking show, but everyone's just saying a lifestyle story. And I think that probably this is where my jam hole will be filled, because surely the jam has come with it. So anyway, we've got TV production, We've got Harry's book, which remains one of the best selling books of all time and is just like a money machine, just churning the dollars into that house. They've got the jam, which we don't know where that is.
Speaker 1: Where do they keep going on these faux royal tours?
Speaker 2: Then another thing, so and then they've got actual right, which is their Charitable arm and this is of that, the Parents' Network, and also as part of that are these sort of outreach tours they're doing. Earlier this year, they went on a trip to Nigeria, which was hailed a big success actually, and one of the things and now whose point of view.
Speaker 1: Like, what was the point of these trips?
Speaker 2: So the point of these trips is and this this all folds in together with what they're talking about now. Mental health is their thing, right, So they were there in Nigeria at the invitation of one of the military defense officials because of Harry's connection to the Invictus Games, which is another quadrant, right, So they've got the Invictor's Games, and so he was invited there. And so while they're five quadrants, Yeah, that's not how quadrants work, is it? Anyway, everybod who listens to this, No, math's not my thing. It's a very complicated pie chart.
Speaker 4: We have going on now, but anyway, we need a bigger pie chart.
Speaker 2: In Nigeria, they were also going to lots of youth mental health charities and that's they're going to be doing in Columbia. So they've been invited to Columbia by the vice president and they are going to go for three or four days and they are going to visit lots of youth mental health services. The idea is obviously to raise awareness, raise funds for different charities, and to you know, walk their walk. If you go to the Archwell Foundation page the Big Laders, it says show up, do good. Now, there are parts of the world where they're more welcome to show up and do good than others. Right, they can't go to England, for example, because a they are very on the nose there with the general public. But also Harry has stated on the record quite recently he will not take Meghan to England because he worries about his safety. They don't get proper police protection there. I mean, Columbia is not exactly a safe country, guys. I just somebody might need to tell them that. I'm sure they know. But it's really interesting because obviously Nigeria was deemed a success, so they're going to continue this as part of their strategy. And it is as you've said, Mire, it's interesting because no one else does that. Right. Sometimes a celebrity will go and visit a developing nation as part of their ambassadorship with the charity, So that's an equivalent, right, Yeah, and celebrity goes I work with U NHCR, so I'm going to go and visit a refugee camp in X and they'll go and do that. But these sort of independent rules, there's no other way of looking at them than that they are a mini royal tours. All the sources say that the King is very irritated by it, as are William and Kate, particularly because they can't go anywhere at the minute for all their well documented health reasons.
Speaker 4: Although as we know, yes, so it doesn't dumb question. Is Columbia Commonwealth country?
Speaker 2: No, No, it's not right. I will double check that.
Speaker 4: And it doesn't mean that royals don't also do tours of non Commonwealth countries. They will often to the United States for example.
Speaker 2: Yea, and so they'll have to kind of pick and choose their destinations carefully. But it's really interesting because this parents Network, which is without question a very good and very of the moment campaign, because there's a lot of talk at the minute about age gating social media, about putting a lot of pressure on big tech companies to make their platform safer. We'd all remember the hearings where Mark Zuckerberg was faced by the grieving parents of children lost to social media bullying. And that's what this is. So they are making online bullying in particular a big part of their charitable arm.
Speaker 1: Do you like it?
Speaker 3: I don't like it, only because I find what they're doing just very confusing. I'm not as across the Royals. Too many quadrants, too many quadrants, because I'm like, Okay, they want me to buy jam, they want me to go to the lifestyle brand, they want me to read a book, they want me to listen to a podcast, and now they want me to look at mental health for kids. And I feel like the mental health kids is way too important for me to also be looking at all of this other stuff. And it's like they're trying to they're minimizing it by being so distracting with everything else.
Speaker 4: But hasn't m I mean, I totally get what you're saying. Hasn't that always been the case with people choosing to use their celebrity to shine a light on charitable causes or causes that they believe in. For example, Megan the Stallion performing at a rally for Kamala Harris last week it's like, is she singer or is she about politics? Or Angelina Joli going to these tours in summer heck, and lots of other celebrities have done them.
Speaker 3: I agree they a lot of celebrities do this, but I think it's the whole like having to announce everything, like they announce every little thing they do, and then I don't hear from it ever again. And I'm worried that this is what's going to happen with the Parents Network that I went into. Firstly, navigating their website is a whole thing. They used to be like Sussex Royal, but now that website's closed or takes you to Sussex dot com. And then they have projects like film projects. And you said there was a video about Parents Network, so I went into their production side. That's a blank page. I had to come back out of it, go into it like it's so it's I have questions. I went through nine pages before I actually found out what we were talking about today.
Speaker 2: It's interesting too, because you know, we talked a while ago about the female billionaires who are putting their money in really good causes, and one of the really effective ways they do that is they find out who's the best in that space, who's doing the best work in that space, and then they give them money so they're not necessarily I'm setting up a foundation now, Harry and Meg's are very much going the other way. This isn't to criticize them, but it's interesting to me that you'd start a parent's network that then when I went to understand what they do, again, that's confusing because it's like they have like support call meanings for parents who are struggling with their children with social media. They've got lobbying groups to try and pray. But it's all very bitsy again, and it feels like the messaging is confusing. However, I want to press on the fact that you are opening your arms to this mea, which is great because one of the criticisms of Megan and I have to say that any time I open x formerly known as Twitter, which I do only really for professional purposes, there is not a day that I won't open that when some version I hate Megan Markel or Megan Mirkle is a complete monster, isn't trending? She cops an enormous amount of online hate for reasons that we've talked about many times, but usually there is a certain portion of the Internet that ayrol's so hard. As you mentioned about her claiming sort of what you could frame as victim status, but you really understand what she's talking about when she talks about the effect that all that online bullying had on her, Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do, because I think that anyone who has been attacked online or canceled, or been at the receiving end of a huge amount of online hate for whatever reason, they all pretty much say the same thing.
Speaker 1: They all say, I had.
Speaker 4: Suicidal ideation because I did not know what else to do, and I did not know how to make it stop. So I think it's good that she's saying that, and it's something that we've heard and that we need to continue to hear, because when people are just like, oh, she's famous, she's rich, she doesn't care, she's basically saying, no, I did care, and it did affect me. What's a little tricky is threading that needle back to someone going. And I think her logic is I want people to know that if it could happen to me, with all of my privilege and power, what hope is there for kids? Because their kids are very little. Obviously, they're not experienced as parents, so they can't come out and talk about this from the point of view of parents, except hypothetically in the future, because they've never experienced it yet.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: If you'd look at that and go like, I don't know what I'm meant to do. I mean, as far as awareness, yes, but I think that back to your point whole about a lot of philanthropists, mostly women, Mackenzie Bezos, Melinda Gates, and Lauren Powell jobs. A lot of those women give money to these big charities and the amazing rather than saying they're going to do it themselves. But Harry and Meghan would argue that they don't have money to give. They're not billionaires.
Speaker 1: And it's true. Not everybody does have money to give.
Speaker 4: Some people volunteer their time, some people volunteer their fame, and that's what they're essentially doing. They're like, look, the media is going to be interested in whatever we have to say, so we may as well use that attention to say something positive.
Speaker 1: And I agree with you.
Speaker 4: We are very uncomfortable with this idea of mixed messages, even though that is what everybody's doing now. Like Jennifer Aniston's got her hair products and she's also on TV and she's also speaking out about Jadie Vance and Child's cat Ladies. I feel like and almost if someone stays in just one lane. Taylor Swift is often criticized for not using her platform to speak out about all of these social issues, but I think it speaks to Harry and Meghan and their brand and the sort of the impatient and some cynicism that everything's greeted with.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the way out of that would be.
Speaker 3: I'm just worried about what happens because we say they don't have money and they're relying on donations for this parent network, which is meant to be I guess, like a forum for parents to connect and talk to each other.
Speaker 4: The world doesn't need another one, like everyone doesn't need to start their own foundation.
Speaker 1: To me, that speaks of more.
Speaker 4: Ego because there are people who are in the grassroots organizations who've been doing this, who are set up to do it, who are qualified to do it.
Speaker 1: You don't need to replicate that.
Speaker 3: And what happens when the donations run out and all these parents are in this group.
Speaker 2: It is interesting as I say, I obsess about their strategy, but watching the video part of this not as it's very high production values, like it's very good, right, so I can see that they're sitting there. Everything's taking a long time if it's to roll out, probably because they're doing it well, right, they're doing it really well, in a really considered way. But it is just like, I don't know. I agree, it's kind of scatter gun. But I also think that MEA's right and that we all want to roll our eyes at them because we're like, well, what are they? We don't understand what they are anymore? Are you royal? Are you famous? Are you business people? Are you charitable for?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 2: What are you? And the thing is, as you've pointed out me is these days I don't know that you have to pick a lane.
Speaker 4: I also think that they are doing something that no one's done before because they're royal, but they're living in la and they're making money and they're not under the umbrella of the royal family.
Speaker 1: There's a reason that we're all confused.
Speaker 4: It's because they are forging a new path, which is why they wanted to leave in the first place.
Speaker 1: Do you want daily outloud access. Why wouldn't you?
Speaker 4: We drop episodes every Tuesday and Thursday exclusively for Mum and MEA subscribers.
Speaker 1: Follow the link in the show notes to get us in your.
Speaker 4: Ears five days a week, and a huge thank you if you're already a subscriber.
Speaker 3: Writer Ann Helen Peterson, who has a newsletter called culture Stuf. He wrote about a unified theory of Glenn Powell.
Speaker 2: So, Glen, I'm so jealous. I wanted to write this after I saw Twisters. Should have done it.
Speaker 3: I should have done as well. So Glen Powell's like a big movie star right now. He was in Twisters. Recently he's been in Top Gun, He's been in the Idea of View with Sidney Sweeney.
Speaker 2: We suddenly caught the public's imagination in a big way.
Speaker 3: In it, she talked about how she never really got him, she found him kind of bland and boring because she never watched anything with him in And then she started watching movies with him in it and starring in it, and she immediately became obsessed, like to the point where she would watch tiktoks of him, interviews with him. So she came up with these ideas on why she thinks she went from him being like bland and like nothing to her to becoming obsessed with him, And one of the theories was because he likes women. So she says, it's different than knowing you can get women, or wanting to control women, or even loving women. He likes them, He appreciates them, he enjoys their company. So it's about the idea of how women like celebrity men who also like women. And then she went into all the other celebrity men who like or not like that.
Speaker 4: Men such an interesting lens on it, because yeah, it's not about men who love women in a I want to call the women way, or even just like women are so sexy. It's men who are comfortable around women, who like women.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting.
Speaker 2: Her evidence for this seems to be it's his persona right both on enough screen. So if you're also like, who the hell's Glenn Powell. He played the sort of battie in Top Gun Maverick. Yeah, and he is in Someone Like You and all those things, and he is like, he's handsome, but he's not like you would fall down dead hands. But the thing is, as soon as you see him on screen, and in these roles that she's talking about, his riz is so.
Speaker 1: Really, what's his vibe?
Speaker 2: His vibe is very very hot.
Speaker 4: Compare him to another celebrity that I'm might not.
Speaker 2: So the most. No, he's not gonna Paul Mescal's to torture. He's not tortured at all. Travis Kelsey, No, No, but his vibe is the thing I thought when I saw Twisters, And it might have been about the cowboy hat, but do you remember the first time he saw Thelma and Louise and you saw Brad Pitt the first time? Right, it was like this energy on the screen, like you're talking about your sexual awaken you.
Speaker 1: I don't even know what you're.
Speaker 2: Talking It's not it's like it's the energy of it. Like you're sure he's beautiful, but you could be a model and you're not, Like you look nice, but you don't have the vibe. It's just and this is this energy, this playful friend.
Speaker 4: Kay, So tell me what are some other celebrities that like women in this same way?
Speaker 3: So I'm going to read at the excerpt that she wrote in her newsletter. Tom Cruise doesn't like women. Neither does Miles Teller Channing Tatum likes women, so does Ryan Gosling. Brad Pitt used to like women, but doesn't anymore. Leonardo DiCaprio only likes them occasionally. By Cooper doesn't. George Cliney does, Matt Damon doesn't. Ben Affleck only does in that one scene in the j Loo documentary. Marlon Brando didn't, Montgomery Cliff did. Paul Newman didn't on screen, but did I R. L. Carrie Grant did. John Wayne definitely definitely didn't. Will Smith pretends he doesn't, but I'm not convinced. Mark Wahlberg absolutely does not. But Daniel day Lewis does. So does yes, so.
Speaker 4: Does Paul Mescal likes women. Okay, I'm going to add a few politicians. Obama likes women, likes women very much. Albow likes women definitely. Scott Morrison doesn't like women. Boris Johnson likes women. I would say, obviously doesn't like women. Joe Biden just too old.
Speaker 2: I don't know. One of the pieces of evidence here, and you will Jadvan hates women. He hates men, my goodness, he hates them. One of the pieces of evidence here is how they treat their coastars right so you know, how big movie. Then you go on the tour and it's like you've got to hang out with in Twister's case, Daisy Egga Jones, who's his co star, who is in normal people, who's in you know all that stuff. Often what will happen is everyone think they're dating, which is what happened with him and Sydney Sweeney. But they weren't, or at least it doesn't seem so. But there's a lot of affection and piss taking and like friendly between them. He looks at them like he likes them. He's not creepy. And I think that women have a very good radar for this because in real life we do right, you know how, When men these days will often say.
Speaker 1: Oh, you can't even talk to a woman in a bar anymore, or.
Speaker 2: You can't flirt with a woman at work or whatever, it's sort of very confusing. And I think that women fundamentally understand that it's not confusing because we know when someone is talking to us in a playful, respectful, flirty way, and when someone is being a creep. It's hard to articulate, but we know it and we see it when we see the glen Powells or the Channing Tatums sort of be playful and friendly and respectful of the women around them rather than pervy, creepy, diminishing.
Speaker 4: Okay, I want to throw out some more names. Okay, Robert Downey Jr.
Speaker 3: I don't think he likes women.
Speaker 2: He likes his wife, but I don't think he's allowed to like any other women, because that's the sobriety issue.
Speaker 1: Ryan Gosling Death like women.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the way you can tell that is that obviously he's in a long term relationship and he's very respectful of her, but he is really friendly and playful with all his co stars. Emma Stone, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I don't even think it's a creepy thing. It's more like an attention thing, like you can tell, Like, say we were all at dinner together and our waiter was George Quinney. He would come and give each of us individual time, asking for our order, making eye contact. If it was Bradley Cooper, he'd come look at one of us, be like she's a hot one in the group, and like turn his back to the rest of us because maybe I don't want to say it, but Jacquemin like like Swimen Harry styles like like swimmen.
Speaker 2: If they give him attention, don't say anything about it.
Speaker 4: Travis Kelsey, I can't My Roman Empire is this bit of vision that I saw of him at one of the year's tours in the vip box and someone was filming and Julia Roberts came up to him. I don't know if you've seen it. She was also in the vip box, right, and she was talking to him, and she had her hands on his chest, one hand on it side of his chest, and she was sort of touching him on his chest while she was talking, and she was being very effusive about something Taylor probably.
Speaker 1: I'm sure. And what he did was such an interesting thing.
Speaker 4: He put his hands on her hands to try and take them off him, and I could see the mental struggle of I don't really want her touching me, but I don't want to be rude, and I don't like I'm a much bigger guy. But I also really struck me as just the most upstanding. It told me a lot about who he is, and that's why I think he's not a man who's threatened by women. The media would have found something in his past if he'd been a dickhead nothing.
Speaker 1: I think he really likes women.
Speaker 3: I think he likes Taylor Swift.
Speaker 2: Didn't he want to go on a reality show?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Girlfriend?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: And was he really nice to all that too? I think he was.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll give him the benefit. I think Jason Kelsey likes women.
Speaker 2: Yes, brother.
Speaker 4: I think that they've been brought up by really strong mother who's taught them that women are great.
Speaker 2: I'm they're the best kind of guys.
Speaker 1: Is a good guy, You're proud.
Speaker 2: I'll be really upset if something comes because we always talk about how I guess all movie stars are good dudes until it's proved that they're not right, until something slips out and you're like, oh.
Speaker 4: Tim challame, Oh well, I was thinking about challow May what I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think he likes I don't think that's a real shame.
Speaker 4: And to be clear, we're not talking about misogyny any We're just talking about like kind of doesn't want to hang out, which just doesn't like their company.
Speaker 2: Really out louders.
Speaker 4: We want to hear from you about which men you think do or don't like women.
Speaker 1: You might have disagree. We're not the arbiters of this. It's just a really a vibe check. It's a vibe check.
Speaker 2: It's a vibe check. He's also very good at leaning into holding his puppy, like he knows how to play the game. He's got a puppy and he's always you know a lot about him, oh mate, And I don't even fancy him. I'm just obsessed with, like the the birth of a movie star. He's very ambitious. You can tell he's like, I am going to ride this train, and he's doing it very well.
Speaker 5: Hi Jesse, Holly and maya long time listener about loud Beck from Melbourne. I just wanted to say, firstly, you.
Speaker 6: Guys are amazing and I could send you a voice message and you've received several of mine all the time, but I don't want to bother you too much because I just my brain pops every time I listen to our Loud.
Speaker 5: But I revisited one of your subscriber sessions subscriber sort of episodes today back I think it was a couple of years ago around phases and seasons of life and when your seasons are different to your friends, which I've always kind of found that my seasons are a bit of Celtic because I don't have kids. I'm very much mit now.
Speaker 6: And I've got friends who are in the same boat. But I'm now also not working, looking for work, but enjoying not working. And again, different season and you just your episode just I'd re listened to it because I remembered it from before, and it's so important that we are kind to ourselves and we remember that it's only a season and things can wax and way, and sometimes you're always out of sync with your mates and sometimes you're not, and whatever it is, it's okay to enjoy life and just keep listening to Mom and Me Are Out Loud and other Muma Me a podcast because that just Enrich's life, but very thoughtful, thought provoking and life affirming really and I just always feel seen by you guys. So I just wanted to say thanks.
Speaker 2: Massive, thank you out loud as for listening to today's show, and of course to all our fabulous team for putting this show together. Hey listen if you liked that little show I made recently called mid with the Talented People that Mum were back in your rays tomorrow, So good season two.
Speaker 1: Who's of the first episode?
Speaker 2: First episode is about sex, my friends, about your sex life, not about my sex life. It's about a woman called Leslie Morgan who's an American writer, and she when she was forty nine, her marriage fell apart. Husband did not like women, let's just put that out there. And she had been in a sexless, disappointing marriage for a long time, and she was about to turn fifty, and so she decided to really rev up her sexual identity and find at least five lovers in the first gem and she did, and her stories are fantastic and it's really great. And also big thank you to all that out loud as admitterers who sent me their little sex tipbits for my intro. Anyway back in your ears tomorrow, friends, wherever you get your podcasts, and of course Mama Mia out loud is also back in your ears tomorrow for all subscribers. See you then by