Speaker 1: You're listening to Amma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mama Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded.
Speaker 3: On whoever said orange is a new pink with seriously deserved.
Speaker 2: Laurels for spraying groundbreaking?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you have to do it. You live for fashion.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Nothing to Wear, the podcast that solves fashion problems and levels up your wardrobe. I'm Lee Campbell, and every week I talk to an expert who helps us work out how to get more out of the clothes we already own and tells us exactly what is and isn't worth adding to our wardrobe. Fashion trends are moving faster than ever before. One minute we're all in linen, the next denim or from Barbie Pinks to Cherry Reds. There is something new every single week to help us get to the bottom of the trends. We might be adding to our wardrobe and some we can forget about. I have a very spare a sure guests joining me. If you're a longtime listener of the show, you might remember Tamara Holland. She co hosted What Are You Wearing? Before going on maternity leave. Tam is a fashion editor and writer and now very excitedly back doing some work for Mamma Mia and I could not be happy out to have her join me on the show today. Tam Hi, Hi Hi. Firstly, welcome to the show. It is so nice to see your face on a screen. After so long I've been watching you on Socials and you used to host Mama MEA's other fashion podcast. Indeed, now you are joining me, and I'm so excited because I think we're going to get you on semi regularly because you have such great commentary and insight into fashion. Now, before we get into what we're talking about these trends this week, I want to ask you some personal questions. Can you describe your style in three words? And what are those three words?
Speaker 3: Tricky At the moment, I would say it's probably more toddler proof chic. I'd say it's probably more relaxed but refined. Love it, but you know, relaxed with polish. That's free words too, that kind of thing. Definitely comfort first, but yeah, relaxed yet refined.
Speaker 2: Now, as they're saying, goes, there's a huge wardrobe full of clothes, or maybe a small wardrobe with clothes, but there's ten percent of the items.
Speaker 1: We own that just we wear on high rotation because they're reliable. What's your ten percent?
Speaker 3: A lot of loungewear at the moment, A lot of loungewear. I'm still in relatively new mum modes. So it's like I said, it's definitely comfort first. Lots of nitpants and oversized shirts and sweats. That's what I'm wearing as we record. I feel like there's a way to still do that in an elevated way. It's like COVID happened. Everyone got into lounge where people got over it. I never got over it. I'm still doing it. Yeah, that's me.
Speaker 2: Now your life stage kind of just continued in that home situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I'm definitely into a good jacket though, because I find that a really great jacket.
Speaker 1: And what do you mean by jacket? Are we a blazer? Are we coat? Are we all of the above? All of the.
Speaker 3: Above and overcoat? A bomber jacket that's for me is like a core piece, a key piece that I look out for, whatever the silhouette is, whatever the style that helps me feel pulled together, if I'm wearing lounge or if i'm wearing danim underneath, so casual underneath, and then a nice elevated jacket to make me feel like I can leave the house and feel good about my outfit.
Speaker 2: Now, listen, we're going to talk micro trends, because trends have never moved this fast. Instagram and TikTok are to blame. It's all their fault. So we've each brought a few to discuss and you know, pros and cons, whether we're into it, whether we're not.
Speaker 1: So should we get started.
Speaker 3: I'm raring to go. I've brought a few.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I have brought what they're calling the preppy handbooks. So I read a great article on wwd dot com. It's basically that preppy is back, and it's not that preppee ever went anywhere, but it's kind of it's joining the zeitgeist and the culture in that it used to be sort of think like college varsity vibes, but now it's that meat sport jersey, but then stripes. It's a little pleated skirt and there's a brand a reference in the article called Rowing Blazers. I'm online at the moment, but it's very that it's a polo collar with a little emblem. It's stripes. It's what you think when you think preppy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, rowing blazer that brings up a very sort of collegiate sort of aesthetic for me. It's giving like all the boys I dated in high school. Absolutely, I think I'm actually channeling it today in my outfit. I'm wearing a striped sweater green and beige, and that's kind of channeling that I actually reckon. This rugby jumper thing has already gone past micro and I found this on the high streets, so I would say this is almost in the main street now.
Speaker 1: I brought some items along to talk about.
Speaker 3: Well, please share with the group.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, there's a pleated skirt from H and M. It comes in a gray mile and also of black. It's twenty seven ninety nine. It's a mini skirt. It's very playing netball, if you were very very sheet playing netball.
Speaker 3: This is the mew Meal effect, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Lee.
Speaker 3: Really, it's just if one brand is responsible for bringing preppy back number one brand in the world right now, and they have the ability to change the way that everyone dresses with one runway show, and we've certainly seen that. I think they sort of set the new PREPPI trend must be a year ago now that that show happened, And that's, really, like you said, entered the zeitgeist in a major way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's elevated preppy too. I think individually these pieces can just be staples, but I think put together in a certain aesthetic, it definitely speaks preppy. They've also got h and M again. Short shoulder pad jacket. This is kind of like a cropped bomber on the website. She styled it with some beautiful depleted wide leg pants. It doesn't say necessarily preppy on its own, but definitely could be styled for that esthetic.
Speaker 1: Then there's the design detail. Padded jacket.
Speaker 2: This is very sort of college but almost goes into that sort of sporty, rugby, almost moto kind of jacket vibes and Zara. Funnily enough, if you search preppy in the search bar, you get one hundred results.
Speaker 3: So surprise, Sarah would be all over this like a rash.
Speaker 2: Yes, High Street is definitely where it's at. If you want to buy into this trend, are you into it?
Speaker 3: I mean, as you can see, I'm wearing it already, I'm into it. I think we're all powerless to resist this. I saw an article on l I think it was the other day that called this the rich girl aesthetic, rich girl energy, and I don't love that term. I think that's a bit problematic. But it's this whole dressing like a private schoolgirl, or it's the old money aesthetic. This is a continuation, like a bit more of a kitschy fun continuation of the quiet luxury.
Speaker 1: Agreed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a bit more fun.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 2: It feels a bit young for me head to toe. But the pieces individually that we're seeing in this trend are actually just kind of some really great basics, Like you say, a stripe or a little pleat skirt. If you want to do a pleat you can do it like a midi and make that yeah, maybe you would be cute, or even a sport for some time.
Speaker 3: I'm seeing a few sports around a skirt meets short and it does bring back netball for me, Like it's very netball in a chik way.
Speaker 2: Not into head to toe preppy. But I like the pieces, tam. Yes, the first one you're bringing is thongs with fancy outfits. Please elaborate and we must preface. If we've got any American listeners, we mean flip flops. We don't mean strings.
Speaker 3: Yes, although if you look at what Charlie XCX is wearing right now thongs in that you know g strings are trending.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: However, for the purposes of this podcast, I am not talking about underwear. I'm talking about footwear. Yes, so all the cool girls lee are wearing thongs. They're wearing flip flops, but it's leather or rubber flip flops. The reason I say with fancy outfits is because it's this kind of approach of I'm wearing a really elevated minimal outfit. However I've just thrown on are really barely their sandal. It's the complete opposite of this chunky footwear trend we've had for season after season.
Speaker 1: So five years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fashion loves to cycle its silhouettes in and out, so things get bigger, things get smaller, things get oversized, and then they get mini again. This is just fashion doing its thing.
Speaker 2: And when you say thong, are we talking literally between the toe those two straps like that classic current.
Speaker 3: You could literally bring out your old habanas for this. Let me tell you the designer that's being credited to bringing back the flip flop is The Row by the Olsen Twins.
Speaker 1: So I googled that. Do you recall the price.
Speaker 3: The Rose Beach flip flop as they call it, is around sixteen hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: Aud I saw a really good pair in bigw for about five bucks.
Speaker 3: Every five bucks I saw those too. I'm like, it's giving inaccessible guys like read the room. So if you want to channel this look, it's, like you say, it's a lot easier than spending fifteen sixteen hundred bucks to get the Row look. We recently saw Kendall Jenner. She loves a more minimal.
Speaker 1: She's pretty clic style.
Speaker 3: She is I think her stylist is Danny Michelle, and she puts together really effortless simple pieces. A lot of them are by the Row, and she's been wearing this shoe. We saw a step out of New York in a really simple slip skirt worn back with a tank and with the Row thongs, and I love that for summer. I feel like that's a really easy way to do this look. And whether you're throwing on a little jacket over the top or you're just you know, a little knit over your shoulder.
Speaker 1: You could even put your varsity bomber that wo'd still work.
Speaker 3: Yes, a bomber would be great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as someone in their forties who has so many pairs of heels but only can face wearing a kitten heel, I will take a flat shoe any day of the week if I can make it look good. And so I'm here for this. I'm into it.
Speaker 3: I love it all right? What's your next Trendly?
Speaker 2: Ultra sustainable fashion? Things are getting silly everybody. Kate Blanchette wore a top. I mean, she looks good in a paper bag and she almost sort of wore a paper bag. She wore a top made out of spoons.
Speaker 3: It's literally made spoons sauced from the Swedish countryside.
Speaker 2: One hundred and two silver spoons. I think it looks good on a red carpet. I don't think we're going to see the likes of Mango and Zara doing a spoon dupe top, do you.
Speaker 3: I am going to count of that and say I actually do. And it's ironic because the whole point of this look and the whole point of Kate's sort of fashion ethos is to be sustainable and rewar and repurpose old red carpet looks she wore ten twenty years ago and bring them a new lease of life. And this is like the ultimate version of that. I say it's ironic because that might be her fashion crusade. But then I do think we're going to see the trickle down effect of this on the high street with tops that look like they're made out of bits and pieces from your kitchen draw We're going to get metallic. We're going to get sort of the filtered down version of this, which is not maybe made sustainably at all.
Speaker 1: No, probably not.
Speaker 3: Ironically, I hope that it kicks off a bit of a trend for found objects working their way into fashion. I believe that this label that made the top, that's their whole bit. That's what they do is they reclaim and they refashion things into theture. I mean, for me, this is very like Project Runway Challenge.
Speaker 1: Yes me too.
Speaker 3: All right, you got two hours take the entire contents of your kitchen covered and turn into theture. But I love it.
Speaker 2: Another one in this vein quickly is so people are wearing soft toys everywhere We were seeing it so much at the Copenhagen Fashion Week, Like I'm talking yes, squishmellows. Like I'm looking at a picture right now and my son has the baby shark that is on this man.
Speaker 1: Bikini's made out of soft toys. Bags made out of soft toys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look little bag charms with it, like a Donald Duck and a soft toy. I can go there. I liked the bag charms back in the day. But it's like Hello, Kitty, Donald Duck, Minie Mouse. Copenhagen is a place I've not been. I don't know if they're really into kind of wacky fashion.
Speaker 3: I mean it works for me because I've got a couple here I can chuck them. Look. The soft toy thing, I think is an interesting one. It's been around a bit. We have the very controversial Balenciaga collection with the teddy Bears. Oh yeah, kind of kicked off the appetite for soft toys as accessories. I think it was their SS twenty four show where we had the designer Demna did handbags that were pre distressed that had all sorts of key rings and choch keys and things hanging off them, and I think the bag charm thing is going to be massive. I think we're going to see this everywhere. We've also got Luave has done. They've got their little elephant motif and it's a little key charm you can get. I'm sure some of the other luxury brands have their own versions of this. I think Coach does this as well. It's kind of throwing to like a harajuku sure, with collecting soft toys and putting them all over your clothes and accessories. So I can definitely see how this has blown up.
Speaker 1: Okay, milkmaid, tell me what is this?
Speaker 3: It's not just milkmaid and I'm bringing to the table lea. It's Swedish milkmade. Okay, So you might have seen this cottage core aesthetic hanging around. Cottage core is really like rustic femininity. It's sort of puffy sleeve dresses and gingham and sandals with socks and that kind of country style. In Copenhagen for fashion week, they were wearing clothes that looked like aprons or literally aprons over jeans. So it's that. I mean, I had a little look at what's on the market at the moment, and you can see there's an Australian brand called Venroy that's done this linen skirt that's like an apron esque cut, and I can see it's linen and it's got to split at the front and it's a tie at the side. It's things that you can tie up and sort of chuck over your other clothes to give this look that you might be going and you know, milking cow or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yes, headscarves, I've seen some beautiful headscarves.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. I think one of the key elements of this look or the real hero accessory is a bandanna or headscarf. Okay, we're seeing that in a major way. It's been a while since we had bandannas, Lee, would you do one? Are you gonna wear one?
Speaker 2: I don't think I could do a bandanna. Out of this kind of vibe. For me, I'm feeling like basket bags. Like I feel like the most that I would lean into it is kind of like a Sunday market bag. I mean, really, let's face it, in there will be my iPhone and my tampons. But I'd like to think that I wander around in green grass and then you know, pick something and eat at a strawberry.
Speaker 1: I don't know it's a bit robbery. It's a bit too.
Speaker 2: Sort of girly feminine for me personally, because I've just gone from quite masculine androgynous and now I'm getting into the sort of silk satin feminine vibes. But this feels a bit too like doll. I like looking at it on other people. I wanted to bring blanket stitch because I observed it in a lot of places in winter, but now I've seen it's coming into some summer items which I thought were interesting. So to illustrate what blanket stitch is, or sometimes called contrast stitch, but blanket stitch is a little bit thicker. Think of those mez throws for your couch that are exorbitantly expensive, and then every store's kind of.
Speaker 1: Ripped it off.
Speaker 2: It's a contrasting color of like wool. So say the item's gray, the stitch is in black or white. Okay, Totem did. This is when I first fell in love, and I'm not gonna pay this much money, but Totem did and still do. It's what's called the draped fringe wool blend jacket. I'm obsessed with the olive green and then the blanket stitch around the edge is like a cream. It's been around for centuries and it kind of is a bit of that quiet luxury. It looks handmade, it looks good quality. Atmoson here on the Iconic have done it. They've got the n a blanket stitch jumper. And then I've been watching some spring summer start to drop and Asos has a blanket stitch card. Again, it's like a sleeveless vest and they've got that in a whole bunch of colors, creams, lighter colors. So I do think this blanket contrast stitch will continue. Then I saw seeds brand new Sasha trim slide and they're like that kind of classic chunkier black buckles. But then the stitching around the edge is the white contrast.
Speaker 3: Gorgeous. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then on Maya there's a swimwear brand called Chloe and Lola and they've got a star called the Bonnie Crochet Swimsuit in black, and it's literally a black swimsuit with this contrast stitching around our legs and the bust.
Speaker 3: So it's hitting everything. It's accessories, it's swimwear, it's home weares, it's everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it obviously started in home weares, but I just thought it was purely a winter trends, so that's why I kept my eye on it.
Speaker 3: But someone like you, who's like the consumate minimalist in what you wear, the whole embroidery crochet thing wouldn't be for you, right, Like, You're not going to wear like granny bright crochet rug I'm not, No, I actually would like I like, I do that back with like a gene because I'm like a bow bird. I'm attracted to the color. But you're more of a minimalist, and so this is kind of the way to do that. Artisanal, handmade, touchal.
Speaker 1: It is the perfect and we.
Speaker 3: Get in, so to speak, weave it into your outfit without feeling like you've worn a granny blanket. Yes, I'm like, no, give me the granny blanket. I want to wear it.
Speaker 2: It's Etsy, but it's not. It's high street, feels and looks a bit handmade. But there's still just touches for the minimalist. So keep an eye on that, my friends. I am predicting that blanket stitch will be around all spring summer, which is pretty unusual. Okay, before we get into bougie and budget tam You would not even give me a little sneak peek as style last time.
Speaker 3: No sneaky, sneaky, I am hitting you with a surprise trend. Two words Campbell pedal pushes.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, I knew it?
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 3: Did you know? It was Cabri pats.
Speaker 2: Last summer, I did the denim jaws, quite enjoyed that. I did a Bermuda short, which is kind of like a wide leg, longer short to the knee.
Speaker 3: You were into the Bermuda's, That's right, I was into the Bermuda were inspiring me with those looks.
Speaker 2: Yep, I just bought some new ones from Zari in like a beautiful kind of royal Navy. Anyway, I just I'm speechless because I have pedal push of vibes back in my memory from when I was a lateeen early twenties, and they were tight and cropped just under the knee.
Speaker 3: In the naughties, we all wore like black knee length legging. Do you remember under tunic and skirts. Okay, this is a little more elevated than that, but it kind of it still is that same silhouette and so it's tight as in tight tight. We literally saw Kim Kardashian wear tights cut off at the knee tights on her Instagram. So once Kim's done it, it's like, all right, it's happening. But the fashion look, I'm not sure if you follow Leandro medein poem on Instagram, she is very extreme in terms of the trends that she will try. She's a real fashion experimentalist.
Speaker 2: And she well, her website was man Repella, Man, like, what is she wearing? She's about Terry Bradshaw.
Speaker 3: It's very fashioned, man Repella, Yeah, very fashioned. But she's been wearing capri pants all around New York and doing it in her very unique way. But we're going to see these it's more of that kind of fifties retro sort of style of the you know, the black or the denim capri pants. I was going to say, adding just at the knee.
Speaker 2: I've seen a little bit of like white it almost looks like white skinny jeans that have been cut off at the knee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm seeing a lot of black, like a lot of like a cigarette pant but hacked off at the knee. And it's it's this kind of Audrey Hepburn Marilyn fifties styling.
Speaker 2: Okay, fifties is bringing me around a little bit what footwear.
Speaker 3: Though I'm not bringing myself around like I think for a shorter woman like me, like anyone can wear anything, but the thought of something that cuts off at the knee is just like scary. If you're shorter, it's hard to approach because it feels like it's just going to cut you into.
Speaker 2: And I wasn't born with ankles, so I don't really need to accenterate, which I'm totally fine with. But when they got to my legs, they just went leg foot and so I just don't think that's my vibe unless I'm wearing sky high stilettos, which I don't do anymore.
Speaker 3: They actually do look really good with a kit in the heel. You don't want to be wearing these back with sneakers, back with anything that hits at the ankles, like an ankle strap on a shoe.
Speaker 1: You want to wear ankle boom?
Speaker 3: Yeah, with a wedge. Dare I say for a very y two Kody, I think Lee, we're going to see these everywhere.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to watch with interest because I say no now but I am a bit of a sheep. I'm a medium adopter, so's.
Speaker 3: A medium adoption. It's funny. I saw this trend and I thought you would actually wear this really well, so I'll be interested to see if and how you do. It's very expensive.
Speaker 2: I wondred. Okay, Bougie and budget the best part of the week. We have kind of been inspired by these trends and brought an item for each one bougie one budget of something we would wear. So do you want to start, tam, Why don't we start with your budget. Let's go budget first, all right?
Speaker 3: For my budget, we spoke about flip flops at length, and I mentioned Havianas and they are known for doing the quintessential rubber thong that we all wore back in the day. But they've actually updated their flip flop with a square toe design. Oh it feels yeah, I know, it feels a little bit more current and a little bit more fashion forward. They're called the Slim Square Toe Songs, and I would suggest, yes, you need these in black forty five dollars.
Speaker 2: I don't know how that tiny toe reshape makes such a difference.
Speaker 1: It's very good. Thongs are back and the ones I'm looking at.
Speaker 2: The rubber bit that kind of goes between your toes is slimmer than that traditional traditional having on only by what half a centimeter maybe, but it's that slimmer bit more makes a difference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is like, if you want to get that look of the row without spending you know, fifteen hundred bucks, I would buy yourself a par of these.
Speaker 2: So my budget is back on the contrast top stitching, blanket stitch vibes. It's a Zara cardigan. I know we're heading into spring, but I love a cardigan for spring. It's called the Nit cardigan with contrast top stitching, very original seventy nine ninety five. It's a v neck cream cardigan with con Trust black buttons and then big sort of pockets at the side with the contrast stitching and then contrast stitching around the bottom. I love it because I like a cardigan with like an oversized like denim short. I like it open for travel. I just think cardigans are really good for trans seasonal chucking in your bag if your office is sometimes hot or sometimes cold, and the cream color kind of lends itself to warmer months.
Speaker 3: I'm heavily influenced by this lee. This is absolutely beautiful. I love the idea of wearing a cardigan with no top underneath, just like as a top, yes, and tucking it into your genes.
Speaker 1: All right, what's your bougie, my friend?
Speaker 3: So I've gone for another song, another flip flop, but slightly more elevated investment piece to tell me, then you Havevianas. So if you want to do the more luxe version of the flip flop, I would suggest looking to an emerging Australian footwear brand called a Emery.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love this brand.
Speaker 3: So they just do the best minimal leather sandals, and I can attest to the quality. I've bought a few pairs. I mean, they have been around for a couple of years now I feel like they've really hit the ride now. So I found a really beautiful, simple black leather flip flop called the Kinto Sandal and it's one hundred and seventy dollars, so it's more on the spendy end of a flip flop that it is leather.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was looking at a few brands and I think they've got some more expensive styles like three four hundred dollars, so I reckon that's pretty good.
Speaker 3: It's a good price point, So those are probably the ones that I'm going to be buying.
Speaker 2: I was also influenced by your thong flip flop chat, so I've seen a pair.
Speaker 1: They're more expensive than yours.
Speaker 2: Actually on Dish they're called the Doff Studios Nadia sandal in Black. They are a black leather thong flip flop whatever we're going to call them, made in Italy.
Speaker 1: The straps slightly thicker.
Speaker 2: They're not a chunky shoe, and that the sole's thin, but the strap that's your thong is like three centimeters so they're gonna hold on. You don't have to do that full on grippy grip.
Speaker 3: Oh that's true. Were you grip with your tongue?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: I love what that feels like.
Speaker 2: And when you have to like break your feet in for thongs again each summer because you're.
Speaker 3: Not just nostalgic. I've forgot, honestly forgotten what it feels like to wear thongs. But you're right. Do you have to do a little pigeon grip with your toes?
Speaker 2: You do until your feet get used to it. I love these so yeah, they're one ninety nine to ninety five. So I believe that Doff Studios is a brand that dish stocks in terms of footwear. They're just really great and half the sizes are sold out. Yeah at price of recording. I'm sure they'll restock because they look really popular. They're just a classic and I reckon you'd have them for years if you.
Speaker 1: Look after them.
Speaker 3: Or gee, what a find, Tam.
Speaker 2: That was an absolute delight. I feel like in the three weeks time there will be more micro trends that you'll have to explain to me. So I would love if you would join me again soon.
Speaker 3: I would be honored. It's been such a blast, great to be on the show.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having me, Thank you for listening to Nothing to Wear.
Speaker 2: Now, if you want links to everything we talk about each week, you need to sign up to the Nothing to Wear newsletter. There's a link to sign up in the show notes, and of course it's free. And if you loved this episode and want to hear more about coming and going trends, you can listen to our episode on the be best wearable trends of twenty twenty four. We've also popped a link to that episode in the show notes.
Speaker 1: See you next week.
Speaker 2: This episode was produced by Grace Rooveray with audio production by Leu Hill. This podcast is powered by our subscribers. If you believe in independent women's media and want to support us, a subscription to Mamma Mia costs less than the price of a coffee each month.
Speaker 1: There's a link in the show notes to
Speaker 2: Subscribe, and a big, big big thank you to all our current subscribers.