Speaker 1: This episode of CZA is brought to you by Matrix. These are the yays of our lives. Busy and happy are not the same thing. We too rarely question what makes the heart seeing. We work, then we rest, but rarely we play and often don't realize there's more than one way. So this is a platform to hear and explore the stories of those who found lives. They adore, the good, bad and ugly. The best and worst day will bear all the facets of seizing your yea. I'm Sarah Davidson or a spoonful of Sarah, a lawyer turned entrepreneur who swapped the suits and heels to co found matcha Maiden and matcha Milkbar. CZA is a series of conversations on finding a life you love and exploring the self doubt, challenge, joy and fulfillment along the way. It wouldn't truly be yays of our lives if I didn't get our little ya maker and to jump on for an episode. I've been getting so many lovely messages about how these tangential Badter sessions have been helping you guys keep smiling during tough times. But honestly, it's more therapy for me that I just happen to have recorded, so the fact that anyone listens in and that you're enjoying it too is an absolute bonus. You may remember an from the very first ever episode of Cca, where she interviews me to kick off the show her own interview in episode thirty three, or all over my socials. I've had three messages just this week asking how my sister is, which she is not, but which you'd absolutely be forgiven for, assuming she's my mini me best friend and has squeezed more into life at twenty four than many do in a lifetime, having ridden eight hundred kilometers from Adelaide to Melbourne for charity for her twenty first birthday, started boxing for fun, only to win her first proper fight by TKO played in the vfl W for North Melbourne, started her own creative agency, founded and sold her very own food truck business, and now just happens casually to be a full time physio at Royal Melbourne Hospital. We swing from hysterically brain list to deeply philosophical in our chats, which is one of my favorite things about our friendship and which definitely comes out in this episode Today apologies in advance for the part that simply don't make sense to anyone else but that we clearly find hilarious. Again, for this line, I had no notes at all, which I'm really loving so much. Between our regular schedule of interviews and hope you enjoy following our crazy brains all over the place. We had just found out Lockdown was extended in Victoria, so we're probably even more random than usual. But this was an amazing circuit breaker for my energy, and I hope it is for some of you too, and is such a ball of energy and always lifts my spirits, particularly at times like this when we need it most. So I hope you guys enjoy and sending everyone lots of love. Bin Blina, Welcome to Yay's of our lives. I usually use people's first names, but I can't call you, and it's so weird when whenever I say ange like introducing you to someone else, I'm like, oh no.
Speaker 2: It's very formal. I thought about the same thing. I was like, what do I call her on the podcast? Because I obviously bim, but Sarah sounds really formal, like I don't actually know you if I got you, Sarah sounds like acquaintances.
Speaker 1: And bim sounds like I'm saying bimp or something sounds like it has to be bim Berlina, AND's term of affection in varying degrees of If you've listened to her episode, you already know this, but in varying degrees of affection goes from Bimbo to Bimbi. No, Bimbo to bimb to Bimbi to Bimberlina. Yeah, and I think it's to Bimbi la la. That's a recent one.
Speaker 2: And it's really because obviously Bimbo has like negative connotations just generally, but I use it as a too endearment for all my friends and I have like a really really long time, and it's really hard with new friends because it's so part of my lexicon that I'm like Bimbo and like, new friends are this year been like sorry, oh no, and it's a good thing. And I'm like they're like, we really don't know how this could be a good thing. So it's a lot of explaining and a lot of like this is the hierarchy and its just like saying it back sounds so stupid, but yes, it is true. Given and I called many of my friends.
Speaker 1: I love it. How it's like when you get to Bimbalina h you get to Bimbi Lala, like, oh my god, I've made it to the next level. Wow, it's like a real achievement. Yeah. And speaking of since your episode, which was not even last year, I think it was two thousand and nineteen. I don't even know time.
Speaker 2: At the moment, I was twelve, so and now thirteen.
Speaker 1: Now thirteen and a half and a half, don't forget how and was also on the very first ever episode of CZA and hosted my interview, which was just so special that you've been here since the very beginning when I was like, Bam, bim I've got this idea, and then you did your episode I think a year later, and now a year and a half later we're back. So before we get into the episode, give us a quick rundown. You mentioned that introducing yourself was Bimbo at the hospital. She doesn't just hang around hospitals just for funsies. Give us a quick update on your life since last time we checked in, which was just after Goodwill Hunting.
Speaker 2: I think now it was a while after that. I think it was probably I was still at UNI completing my surface of placement playing VFL at the time. Yeah, that's what it was, So I just played VFL. I'd like to preface for the fact that I probably didn't play VFL. I just was roaming around the field and I think you could count my career as playing.
Speaker 1: That's such a lie. You were also an AFL diversity ambassador.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that was last year. That was That was actually really exciting, But obviously it was pause because COVID, which was a shame because they just bought it back after a long hiatus. But yeah, in that time, I've now graduated from physio, joined to the world. Parents didn't think I'd make it here. I am today. I graduated last.
Speaker 1: Started from the bottom un here.
Speaker 2: Like in my Asian parents not proud. I graduated in December of last year and got a job in January of this year, and still pinching myself that I was able to insuch a type environment and it quite a cutthroat process, particularly in major hospitals and being in new grad physio, and obviously I had COVID on top of that, where there's not much movement and not much space for new staff. It's not in January at Royal Melbourne, which again I pinched myself because it is I think the best hospital there is and I have loved every second of it so far. Still doing all of the creative stuff very much as an agency now, so kind of hired my first like three people at the end of last year. That very business y and yeah, still doing a lot of that, Yeah, I think, I guess that's the main things, with a lot of epiphanies along the way of things that, Yeah, a lot of just cognitive disonance and what do I want to do and where I want to go about them? And I'm really happy with that where I am. So they're like the main main things. Not paying for anymore just because.
Speaker 1: I'm just just one e piphany or many.
Speaker 3: Pies, oh god.
Speaker 1: Also just a gentle reminder to everyone. And she is only twenty four years old and this is like her seventh career so far. So last time you will have heard that she had completed in that year an eight hundred kilometer ride for charity from Adelaide to Melbourne with Nick and I, which was just the most fun ever. Had obviously played in the VFL W had just become a champion boxer in the process, has a creative agency now but had just begun that and just is now a full time physio working in a hospital. It's absolutely extraordinary and you're on the twenty four. I don't even I can't.
Speaker 2: I did forget sel Academy. I do have to plug Soel Academy because I think so Academy is awesome. So Academy is not. I wouldn't say part of the agency side of the social marketing the sell Academy. I work much more on the almost like product and growth side. And that's an eight tech company over the US that I love dearly, and I love bo who's creating it. So I'm very much doing a small part. But it's really exciting to be in an early stage startup over there as well. So I guess that's the other things also.
Speaker 1: And talking about the whole jigsaw puzzle of your path yay, and has one million, thousand, jillion pieces of the puzzle at any one time, So a really good example of the fact that you can find your passion in lots of different things. And we have epiphanies every single week about what we want to do and what missing pieces in our puzzle and how to get new stuff, and she's just the person in my life that really represents give things a red hot crack. You know, what does it matter if you don't do it for a career or you're not good at it. Just try everything and explore all side your personality because you never know what's going to stick. So it's been hard not to be able to do that together because we've had so much fun doing gymnastics and ceramics and what else have we done so much random stuff?
Speaker 2: We've done so many random things just yeah, we just sign up for it, like crazy trouble with things like let's just go to Tazzy or let's just do a half marathon, or let's just yeah, go do the writing gymnastics. Yeah, it's just random stuff.
Speaker 1: So the cutest thing happened the other day. I'm totally dropping Pip in the shit from the house of Well Now. She's my Channel seven producer. We were shooting the other day and she was like, I was telling her, you know where we've been, and we have the great privilege of being able to continue to film during lockdown because it's it's broadcasting and obviously with the skeleton crew, and with all safety procedures in place, but you're talking about not being able to travel, and that the how difficult restriction of movement is for people who really consolidate their thoughts and who they are by getting physically out of their environment. And we're talking about five acres Billa bilin which you guys will have seen. We've fallen in love with a new family who's become our extended family. Down there, Kadian rom Lamorrow and she was like, oh, yes, I saw that place. That's amazing. You and your sister were down there. I was like, yep, yeah, yeah, and foot the foot my sister, sure, my child, my sister, my mom, like all the different relationships.
Speaker 2: Every time someone said that would be like three dollars.
Speaker 1: Rich, we'd have like a full piggybang by now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should into it from the start and seeing how long we could hold that.
Speaker 1: Well, we haven't even been playing into it and we're still holding it. It's like years later and it still happens all the time. Okay, So to the actual point nine minutes later, what is your quote of the for this.
Speaker 2: I said, this year, I've put in a kind of emotional state at the minute I'm quite philosophical and quite pensive and a little bit like mercury retrograde solar eclipse some coming together.
Speaker 1: So the film, okay, quickly for context, everybody and and I are both quite similar in that where hysterically bimbos all the time, but then we go into really hectic, intellectual, serious philosophical conversations about the English language and like the etymology of different things. But then we're also not super woo woo. But when we go woo woo, it's really hardcore. So the other day she's like, hey, bim bem, You've got to download this astrology app. So she couldn't match our compatibility. You've been so philosophical lately, I.
Speaker 2: Have because I don't know. I think Lockdown five really hit me and probably a lot of people harder than the others. I really don't know why. I think it's perhaps that we were had a sense of freedom, I guess, and a long stint of it. It felt like, you know, we're just taking off masks in the office, and I thought that was a really big deal because obviously working in the hospital, we working a lot in a multi distant routeteae and it's really hard sometimes to not be able to see the people that you work with, as in see what they look like and their smiles and things like that. And I think Lockdown five definitely got to me in terms of becoming not like overly down, but just really reflective of where we are at the minute. And then it became obviously very just emotional and philosophical. And yeah, so there's two can I do too? Is that allowed?
Speaker 1: Absolutely the more the merrier. And I also love how one is like a beautiful quote we need the Pooh, absolutely love. The other is like an essay. I am I going to fit that into the title of the episode.
Speaker 2: The first one is don't be afraid of death, Winnie, be afraid of the unlived life. And I'm assuming that's it. We need a food quote. But I this weird non fear of death, and it's not in a morbid way, but it's more so that I think it's inevitable that obviously time is limited for all of us. But the fear or sadness is when you don't live the life to the fullest, Like the things that you can control are e your life, and then that's the things you can't conjoy. I e one day it's not going to be a present anymore. To not live the fullest, I guess, scares me, Like I just want to be able to make the most sad of life and the people around me and moments and laughter and joy and sadness even and anger and all of the feelings that you could possibly feel, because that is living. Yet it makes me really sad to think that some people aren't living their life to the fullest because one day we probably we're not going to have it anymore. So yeah, so don't be afraid of death, whinny, be afraid of the unlived life.
Speaker 1: I think that's such a beautiful one. It's very seasy, a the idea of don't just beyond that autopilot mode with that momentum and relentless forward motion. You can end up like decades and decades down a path that you didn't really ever choose, not having ever really experienced what else is out there for you. So I love that one, and I think it's true, Like it's a fine line on a show that's about joy where the role of things like mortality and sadness and challenge and trauma fit. But I think any theory of joy and happiness has to acknowledge them somehow and find a way to use those concepts to remind you even more so of the importance of the role of joy and that you know. That's why I think your philosophy of red hot crack is so important, because it's like, what's the quot I think it's Einstein, Maybe it was Einstein You only live once, but if you live well, once is enough. I think that's really lovely.
Speaker 2: You know me well enough to know that I always have always by that mote. And the thing they always say is if you died tomorrow, would you be content with a life you live today? And that's pretty much I live mine, and that that whole like no regrets kind of living and seizing any opportunity that you want and you feel like in erge to do to just do it because there's no harm ever in trying. It just makes you more of a fulfilled person when you get to it. I think something that we learned in year twelve in like this is eight just go in health and human development. I think I remember it and it stuck with me for a really long time, is that when older people get old, they become just depressed by the situation that they're in because their partners die and there's that sense of loneliness that reflect on their life, and the reflection is off how content and fulfilled they feel their lives were and are. And if you're not really fulfilled, then it's really hard to change that. It's kind of like, you know, I wish I went for that job when I was twenty five. You can't really do that when you're eighty five. So to be able to do it while you've been in there and kind of pre in the future of being reflective, then hopefully by that point you are really content with your life and you're really happy with the decisions that you made, and you live this like no regrets kind of life, even though not everything has to go to plan, Like sometimes you fail at things, but that doesn't really matter at all. It's about you me to crack and then that is still fulfillment. Even if it's not a success, it's still fulfilling. If that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. I think you've probably heard me talk about how my decision making has changed from like, obviously, making decisions in the now and being really spontaneous is really important. But I also why I agonize so much at the point of making decisions about things is because I'm doing future regret management. I'm always thinking what will future me regret and what can I do to avoid that feeling. So you're right, like, even if it doesn't turn out well, I always look back and think, but I still wouldn't have made a different decision. Therefore, I'm okay with the fact that it didn't go well because I don't regret that I didn't try. And you know that other it's corny, but that other quote of like I'd rather a life in oh wells rather than what ifs, It's so true. At least oh well is oh well, it didn't work, But I never die wondering. It's that wondering of like what could have been that I think people end up so disappointed in. Yeah, just don't let yourself feel that by just trying.
Speaker 2: And I guess it's it's somewhat privileged thing to say right now in this environment where people are quite restricted and you can't really go and chase your dreams. But it just even day to day decisions that you make, you know, do I go hang out with my friends or do I not? All those things can still bring fulfillment in smaller ways. It doesn't have to be a really grand goal or anything like that. So I know, I'm just I'm a big live your life to the fullest, half half cut, half full kind of person.
Speaker 1: Cut liquid stuff in their thing person. Plus plus, we have like our own little language that is not very discernible from the outside. It's like, how are we going to people today? But do you think that because of this? I personally think that even though I'm already I have quite an appetite for trying new things, this restriction of movement has meant that the periods in between, I'm even more like I have to use these moments because you never know when you won't have them again. I've become almost reckless in my desire to just make the most of everything. Like I've just found it really invigorating, even though you wouldn't wish it, You wouldn't wish the realization to have to happen that way. But sometimes you realize how much you did take your freedom before for granted and just expected you'd always be able to do things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love Luce Sarah. You reckless?
Speaker 1: You what's your second quote? Bimb you had another really long yeah.
Speaker 2: My second quote is a longer one, but it's more about the idea of it and the concept behind it. And as I think I articulated, it is a really nice story culling Way. I saw it on Instagram today, so it's I mean numbers to this day is my second grade best friend's birthday. There are people that don't talk to anymore, whose families are still in my prayers. There are shirts that wear to bed from ex's of eight years ago who are married now with kids. And I haven't found a macaroni recipe better than my college boyfriend's mums. Our lives are made up of so many people, and when people become part of our lives, some parts remain long after they leave. And in the same exact way, it's company to know that there are so many lives who still a part of that you have no idea about.
Speaker 1: And I think that that's such a beautiful Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love this one a lot. And when I say at the start, I've become a bit more emotional, I don't think it's so much emotional, but it's reflective and immensely grateful in this time and particularly around my people. I am a big believer that everyone that comes into your life shapes you to who you are. I just wonder how long they are there for. We will talking about this in phirth Violand and I was quite profound about it only because I was really grateful that there's people that you meet and it could be when you were two to yesterday and they I have just been a fleeting person in your life that kind of just walks past, but they leave a big enough impact to help you make decisions in future as show you who you are. And I don't think people have to be in your life forever to being your story forever. So that one I really loved and so yeah, I think this last period, in this last few weeks, I've been even more grateful for the people around me and the people that I have met previously will and I have this burning urge to have to let them know as well. So I think it's I've just in the last few weeks, I've just been very forward and out with all my friends and the people that I love and making sure then that they're appreciated or loved. Yeah, and really.
Speaker 1: Profoundly, yes, I love that, Bim. I think it's so interesting how the way that conversations have unraveled on this podcast, certain themes seem to come up at the time that everyone needs to hear them or needs to be reminded of them. And this week's episode, literally that came out two days ago, and that was recorded like three days ago with Sophie Kaisha. She said exactly the same thing. Was literally talking about the exact concept of people being part of your story, but they don't have to stay in your life to always be part of your story. And she was talking in the context of relationships, how she's just released her first book and so much of it is about the people that were only there for a chapter, but that have stayed with her forever. And it's so weird that like two days later we're talking about the exact same thing. That's crazy, Like.
Speaker 2: When I feel things seply, I feel things pretty deeply, and I think this is something that I've just overwhelmingly felt just every day. It's kind of like I think, you know, people say, create a gratitude journal and write five things and grateful for I genuinely can't do that because I can't just write a sentence of like it'd be the same thing every day it'd be like yow Stanley food water job, whereas being.
Speaker 1: Greatful morning pood.
Speaker 2: Three of them actually be more specific.
Speaker 1: We've made it a really long way in without you mentioning Pooh once. I'm so proud, you know.
Speaker 2: I was holding were dongue a lot for you. I was like, I'll be a professional.
Speaker 1: She's grown up, because she's grown up in last episode.
Speaker 2: But no, I think gratitude for me has gotten me through the lockdown blues and a Really it sounds really cliche because everyone's like, oh, be grateful for the things that you have, and I think Lockdown five, I was like, I I'm kind of sick of them be grateful for everything that you have now, because I've tried to do that for the last four lockdowns and it kind of just becomes really dry, and you're like, Okay, then I'm already grateful, and then I have to be proactively grateful because that's how you get through these things and stuff like that. But this one, being grateful for people is really different because it's be grateful for people in different ways, and therefore the gratitude is felt and expressed differently, and so it just feels novel and different. Rather than just being grateful for your job, of your house, your water, you know, mum, dad and things like that. It's like, I'm grateful for Sarah because she has been a mentor for me and assisted to me and protective figure and I'm supportive one for all these years. So I'm grateful for Meck because he's shown me how to give generously and genuinely without anything. You Woulturn, And I'm grateful for you know, the patient that I had yesterday who showed me what it's like to be resilient in a really tough time in their life. So you get to kind of be grateful, but it feels refreshed, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: In this lockdown, I think that's such a good point too. You really represent to me what I think so many people have gone through that we are all being a little bit more pensive and reflective and analyzing and cleaning the slate in our life, which is amazing. I mean, it's a wonderful that that's an exercise people are allowing themselves to do for the first time in so long but five and now six plus plus extended lockdowns in You're right, the messages that you've been saying for five six times now, if I'm grateful every day, you can't feel grateful every day. It's kind of shit, Like there are days where it becomes dry, yeah, where that feels artificial to say even of course you're grateful, but like you can't feel that every day in a way that removes the disappointment or the loss of hope or expectation or joy or whatever it is. But I think finding new ways to express it is so clever. And you've been doing a beautiful little project that I love. If maybe you want to share it, you don't have to, but I think, yeah, people are probably looking for ideas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. So I've always been a people person, and I've always been as someone that struggles to show gratitude, not because I can't shop, because I just don't know how to show enough, particular to people when they have made an impact in my life. I want to show how much they have, and so I try to be grateful. And I'm a serialf givar and I'm serial like acts of service and words of affirmations kind of person, and I never ever feel like it's ever enough. So I started this book a Dari and I've been drenaling a lot. That's been something that's helped in lockdown a lot of journally And this one is very thimed, and it's about the people that have shaped me to who I am today. I'm just reading to here. I'm just going to read about. This is the this is the title. This is this book is dedicated to the people I've met, the people I love, and the people who have shaped me to who I am and will become. And it's essentially just on the day, whoever I feel grateful for whoever I've met that's made it left an impact that, like I genuinely feel has I just write about and I write quite truthfully and raw, in a raw way and in a way that I would want them to hear this also, and I would happily share this with them when the day comes or when I feel like they need a little bit of love or whatever it is. Yeah, I'm just going to read the first page. I think that is probably the best way to express what it's about. Also, I just want to just put a disclaimer. I had a procedure this morning. I had to be sedated.
Speaker 1: High.
Speaker 2: So if I'm really philosophical, I feel like this is what it would be if I were ever on drugs.
Speaker 1: So this is why we recorded now because we have just heard literally half an hour ago that our lockdown is being extended and is high. This is a great time to create some joy for everyone for next Monday.
Speaker 2: If I have is this is if every Okay, this is what I wrote. This is my first entry. I appreciate that I'm twenty four and a half almost to worry back to my half birthday and not like anyone's scouting exclamation mark. And I've met hundreds of people that have had a lasting impact on me and who have become I don't believe that the people that help shape you necessarily have to be in your life for a lack of time, but I do believe they're remaining a story forever. They may have had an impact at the time, and you may have changed as a person since, but that doesn't discount their part in your never ending and continually evolving story. I've been incredibly luking to have met some of the most amazing humans in my life who have also taught me significant lessons by just being them, who have changed my outlook in life and betted me without realizing naked. This is to be a tribute to all the people that I've met and continue to meet. There's no order other than the order of when I'm feeling grateful for them. They will be double ups, but that will be determined on who on that day I feel most grateful for. So here's the people I love and will be forever.
Speaker 1: You can get it to But it's so beautiful. But also it is in a particular order because I'm first first, and just like yeah, but I also wrote it's in no particular order, and like, well obviously just saying but yes, but you know, like, something I really believe is that the quickest way to make your own day if you're having a shit day is try really really hard to make someone else's. And like the response you get from just giving someone a compliment or writing a little love letter to the people who you appreciate, but it's unsolicited. It's not because it's their birthday, or it's not because it's you know, there's no reason that makes you feel better as much as it makes them feel better. So it's the easiest thing you can do when you're sitting in your room in lockdown with nothing else to do, right, loveless.
Speaker 2: Yes, it genuinely is like a big serotonin.
Speaker 1: That's the joke, right, I don't know you're the expert.
Speaker 2: Big mushroom dumbe.
Speaker 1: I just know in a mushroom inside a big fluffy mushroom.
Speaker 2: No, I think it genuinely does it? You know, like running gives you en dolphins and all those like things that just automatically happen. It just brings you actually a really good, feel good moment when you're able to express your gratitude to someone else. And I think we should probably start to remove the stigma or the weirdness around telling your friends they love you and like just genuinely being like how are you and wanting an elaborate response rather just are good, how are you? Kind of thing? You know, I've sent you these long ass love letters best friend and please me my best friend forever, my breast friend forever.
Speaker 1: We're breast friends forever. Where breast friends forever come from?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Lack of.
Speaker 1: It was aspirational manifesting. Now that we're so woo woo, just a quick break to give one of our amazing partners in Ya Matrix a little shout out and a very big thank you for making this episode possible. You may have seen some fabulous, very fun and colorful content coming out of our photoshoot from earlier in the year Yep, that one where I Got Bangs, which kicked off this heritage brand's groundbreaking brand refresh and relaunch to better embrace beauty and of course, hair of all kinds. I'm so so thrilled to join fellow ambassadors Rachel Sarah, who you will be hearing from, Jess Vandalay and AJ Clementine on the Matrix Australia Squad, particularly since we all share a common experience for unique reasons of feeling unrepresented in the beauty industry. It is so exciting to see the gradual shift towards diversity and inclusion in beauty media and all kinds of industries. With these values underlying the relaunch brand, I'm even more in love with the product range that offers something for every hair need. I mean, just look at the four of us and how different our hair is to each other. It's available in Matrix salons and online. My hot tip the Total Results Miracle Creator Spray. It's a twenty in one covering just about everything I've ever wanted for my hair, but compatibly with my on the go jampack lifestyle. I'll pop the link in the show notes you are welcome. And I think the other thing. I think we're both really lighthearted and positivity panda. We get really heavy and deep philosophical. Sometimes we just look at the stars for hours and hours and talk about the meaning of life. But we also get triggered by really emotional things like so triggered by beautiful stories and feel good moments. And the other thing you can do as a recommendation is to go and find beautiful stories in the neighborhood, which is obviously why Yighborhood Watches something that I committed to to share good stories with you guys, to compete with such negative news that's out there, but also because it makes my day to go and find beautiful things that are happening, even on a really really small scale, and just make them well known. So, is there anything you've seen over the past couple of weeks that's really made you smile or like ant calls at heart poke, which is so now. I don't know that there's another I can't think of any other words that describe it. But when something just pokes your heart because it's so beautiful heart.
Speaker 2: I live with my two grandmas, well Benoy and her sister, like Judy's been stuck you for a while. So they just provide immense amounts of joy because they're just so funny and random. But there's definitely a patient that I had earlier this year that I always reflect on because they were just honestly, you would froth them. They were the best patient ever. They were like ninety two or something and they just come on and I was doing home visits. But this patient had skydived at eighty five, their grandson, and they were like, I just I just want to live to one hundred. And they did this thing with their hands that was so like old personally and be like, you know, can you just show me how you get out of bed? And they'd stand up and they'd go, I was like, I just got do just you know. Their goal was to live to one hundred, and they were just that was their go I just want to live for a hundred. And I wook every day and I over this ramp, you know, I skyped over when I was eighty five, and I walked the kakoda and I ran a marathon and oh my, it was just this person just full of life and just so happy and yeah, it was just such a go getter. And to be at that age, I was like, I want to be you at that age. You know. Imagine an eighty five year jumping out of an aeroplane with his grandsons, just like just really full of life and this bubbly guy, and yeah, it's going to be you. Often.
Speaker 1: You're going to bet at like a ninety nine year old who's like at a freaking no light snow like or a disco party in a morph suit.
Speaker 2: Lot.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 1: One thing I love about you, though, and that's been since we met, is that you are so indiscriminate about age, which is not common. There is a lot of subtle agism, even in the fact that the beauty industry and the cosmetic beauty industry, and like even health and wellness is subtlely based on avoiding aging. I feel like there's such a negative connotation in where society at least about age. And I know that you love Diana's episode because she, for me was the turning point moment of not worrying about age. Like age is relative. You can see a sixty year old and another sixty year old who look like they're three decades apart, because their mindset is one is age is negative, and one is just embracing it as experience. And she swam from Cuba to Florida at the age of sixty five and just continues. She's seventy two now and still is one of the youngest minded people that I know. And it's so interesting. It's such a good example to hear from people who don't treat age as a negative thing because it makes you excited about getting older and getting more experienced. Idea about I think it's such a mindset.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's almost like a social construct, to be honest. I think it sad. This to someone the other day who was a bit like, oh, you don't count birthdays after your third And I was like, why no, it's awesome, Like I think there's a quote on your books.
Speaker 1: It's because I have no memory, That's why you know what old I am. I didn't google it, remember it? Feel about that. I was like, Genet, how one, two, three? I couldn't do it. It's not because I'm negative. I think age is negative because I'm just silly, just like.
Speaker 2: It genuinely does not bother me. I don't think it defines anyone at all. I think it's I couldn't tell you how old any of my friends were, or it's just pure connection. And I feel like if you're restrict to you connect to and who you want to be friends with, it's just because of an age, or it's quite a judgmental thing. It's a bit like racing things. But people don't obviously think about it. I would absolutely if I had a best friend who was sixty five like yourself, I wouldn't care a lot of friends who are a lot older. But I genuinely don't think about that ever in my life until it's put down as a number. But even then it doesn't change any anything for me. I just feel like if you just connect with someone, you connect with someone regardless, it doesn't really matter. Yeah. And also, people in different stages of the life can teach you so many things. I feel that's what makes me much more open minded is that I can have friends that are older and then my age, and then we have cousins who are younger and see the Huld spectrum and how life genes and enrolls and looks different in each time. And obviously being on the board, I'm doing a lot with a lot of GEM patients at the minute who are six or five and above, like ninety to ninety nine, one hundred, and you just see them and you're like, you're amazing.
Speaker 1: You're here and you're pushing through and it's amazing. Oh, that's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Vim.
Speaker 1: I found a couple of things that so we are also hectically into the Olympics. Like we've all just had this group message threat about the most beautiful things that have come out of the Olympics, and I think, not only is it because you were Necker obsessed with sport and I get triggered by humanity. I think it's mainly because of the human stories that come out of it more than anything. And there's been so many beautiful things that came out of the Olympics. Even if it wasn't necessarily the Olympics everyone had hoped for, I still think it brought so much joy. And I've shared a couple from the last Years of Our Lives episode, but another one that came out since then was the decathlon where two If you guys haven't heard of it, it's such a beautiful story. So Cedric Doubler was running alongside another Australian, Ash Maloney, and Ash was running a lot further ahead. He had a better chance at meddling in the race, and Cedric sacrificed his race to help Maloney, who was starting to flag, get across and win a bronze. And it is just like, go and read the article's watch the videos. It's just one of the most beautiful. Like, you know, I always say that quote about success doesn't have when you share it at doubles, and like, competition is important. Obviously in the Olympics, you'll literally it's the definition of a competition. But to see someone who's spent his whole life trying to get there and acknowledge that his race was maybe over, but his teammate could get there with a little bit of support, like Ash kept saying that Cedric would come over and all he could hear was him screaming in his face, I can't going And I was like, what are you doing here? Man, Like, yeah, that's me. It was just such a beautiful story. I thought that was a really nice one.
Speaker 2: No, I loved that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I also found a random see this is what makes me happy about this section. It makes me go and look for nice stories. There's a removalist company in Melbourne that's helping LGBTQIA plus Melbournians move house safely without any discrimination and like in a really safe environment, called Queer Move. I think that is so lovely. I hadn't heard of it, but I can imagine that there would be instances where couples feel really persecuted or uncomfortable to let people into their house, and moving house is such an intimate thing to do, and there is I mean, as much as society is evolving a lot, there are pockets of society where there is still so much discrimination because of gender, everything really race, as you mentioned before, gender, sexual preference, all kinds of identifications. So I thought this was really beautiful that queer Move was a service that's come to life because of con That's so cool.
Speaker 2: I love that. I'm so such a like equity advocate. I love that a lot.
Speaker 1: You know those things that you're just saying, I love that someone did that. It's because people were having bad experiences. So someone just was like, enough of this, We're going to make queer move and we're going to move people. Okay, give you a hand up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, hand up?
Speaker 1: Do you legitimately have your hand up right now? I love how I talk so much you have to put your hand.
Speaker 2: Interrupt But I thought of a really good one, but all go. Yeah. So my friend messaged me this article the other day in the Guardian for this invention that Japanese people have made.
Speaker 1: No, but I love Japanese inventions for things that we all want. We all love that, but we all want them.
Speaker 2: This is amazing. You're so for people that I am giving birth and want their friends to meet their baby. Obviously kind of lock down. This company have set up a give business where you you send them a sack of rice in the weight that the baby is, with a picture of it.
Speaker 1: I love Japan so much. There's an amazing, amazing BuzzFeed article of all the inventions that have come out of Japan that we all think are hysterically silly, but then all want them because they're amazing.
Speaker 2: Like the one with the toilet paper on your head, that's my favorite one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or the noodle splash to like the face mask thing that protects your hair from noodle splash. Oh my god, stop is that a bow? For a girl. One, it's a girl bag of rice.
Speaker 2: That's what's a girl. But they put the baby's face on it and it's the same weight. That's what the baby is.
Speaker 1: It's so clever, hilarious as.
Speaker 2: The cutest thing ever. I can imagine. It's any around bags of rice when you just give.
Speaker 1: And then they can eat the rice after. That's so, why is it?
Speaker 2: I was like, exactly, I would love that.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, no, I think I would.
Speaker 2: I probably liked to meet the child, but also free bag of rice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, i'd prefer I'd prefer the child, but then you also can eat the rice, so that's great.
Speaker 2: Quickly though, what's your quote?
Speaker 1: Oh no, you choose the quote, but what is your I don't pick a quote. Oh that's a good question.
Speaker 2: You don't get to pick a quote, but you don't like it's it's nice for people to also know where you are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think probably every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day. I think we've been in a eighteen to twenty four month period now where big chunks of it have not really been how he had hoped and are full of disappointment and loss of expectation and from big things like weddings and funerals, to smaller things like birthdays or just milestones. And having just spent most of my last five years really drilling the importance of celebrating things and smelling the roses, you know, I feel like I just got to making time for that in my life, and then suddenly the ability to do it was suddenly gone, unexpectedly. It's been really hard to cultivate alternatives to that, ways to celebrate, or to celebrate in a way that keeps you motivated to keep doing what you do. It's Nick's birthday on Friday, and we'd had a really cute weekend planned, and it's really hard to sort of figure out how to acknowledge things like that and create little moments of joy, particularly when you work together and live together. But I think that quote helps me be okay that, even as a positivity panda, not every day feels good. In fact, a lot of days have felt really hard, anxieties at an all time high, but also fatigue, Like I'm genuinely sometimes not sure if I'm tired because I'm anxious, if I'm tired because I've overdone it, if I'm tired because I've had chronic fatigue in the past, and it's just a relapse, or if it's just because there's so much going on in the brain all the time. Yeah, But I think if you commit to at least finding one good thing and every day, it doesn't mean you have to feel grateful for everything, like roof over my head, you know, moving limbs, like that's really important. Of course I'm grateful for those things, but to consciously find a new thing that is good about that day, even like this conversation or a joke that makes you laugh, you know, those small things. I don't even know how I could explain that to people in a way that they'd understand. I'm sorry like that, Okay. So we both study Japanese at school, and I know I'm even looking at the title of what I made, what I named it Austin.
Speaker 2: We just love the Japanese language and we love katakana and turn these like Western words into Japanese with the cut kind of is like ice cream.
Speaker 1: Is I sukurim rou and Australia is also, And we got into this weird fit of adding fudu to everything because it's.
Speaker 2: A kind of funny like sound of it. So Anyway, we digress, but I did want to say that your whole thing of finding something that you great for and celebrating things, even small things, I think you're one of the best people that I know or have taught me. This is how you celebrate other people. And somehow, as tired as you ever can be or ever are, you have always been able to celebrate me or your friends or nick really wholeheartedly and really genuinely. So I don't know if that's because you just thrive off the energy and get that endorphin or serotonin hint from celebrating other people, but somehow you still seem to do it so well, So I know, I think people can try practicing that as well, celebrating other people and other people's wings. Like just before this call, I had a call from a friend who had got her dream job, and I was like, like to the point where I was like, is this the sedatives or is this what it actually feels like?
Speaker 1: So that was just Yeah, that whole Dak kills.
Speaker 2: More James and fay ever will come into play. It's just that there's a lot of quotes floating around at the minute.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but they all mean something. I think and I mean, you know that the podcast for me twice a week, like most of the time there's two guests, sometimes there's only one, but at least once a week, maybe twice, to get to celebrate someone else's story and what they're doing, particularly if there's someone I've followed since they hadn't hit the dreams that they maybe have since then. Like all those things, I almost get more excited. Like when Sophi announced her book, she was posting the post, the announcement post while we were recording, and my face is more squish than her face, Like I was so excited. We're not even really close friends. Like I just get so excited for other people, And I think we all do, really, we all love to celebrate the people we love doing really well. But focusing on that and like spending a little moment to get lost in that it makes your day better, but also allowing myself to be like the day overall might not have been a good day, it doesn't have to be. Even as a positive person, Like my identity is really tied up in being positive and seeing the silver linings and lifting up others and finding the yay. But if I only find five minutes of yeah, in one day that doesn't matter. The rest of the day is allowed to feel luck. And that's been something I've had to allow myself to do as well, because otherwise you're masking and then that's why you're tired, because you're putting on joy because you feel like you should and like it's this vicious cycle. Yeah, so I think that's why I keep saying in all my posts as well, like be gentle on yourself if you feel weird and you're having a weird reaction and you're tired, or you're run down or your whatever, and you don't know why, and you're like, nothing big has really happened. Two years of big has happened. So if you feel weird on a particular day, that's probably why. Don't overthink it, but also don't try and push it away. You'll find one moment of joy that day and that's enough. If that's all you did, that's totally fine.
Speaker 2: But even if you don't feel driven that day, that's okay too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's okay.
Speaker 2: I think this is like the prime time of the whole. It's okay to be emotional or have feelings or feel a lot or feel too much I don't think this is such a thing of feeling too much. But I think if you, you know, if you I send your whole textans you're just saying all the reasons why I love you, I'd hope that ten minutes after, I didn't regret that because I felt I was like me or too attached or whatever that is. You think it's age, which I'm actually not ashamed of being. If that's what like, it genuinely doesn't bother me. If it means that if I died tomorrow and they know that they were truly loved by me and all the feelings that I had towards them, and how much how grateful that I am, I couldn't care that's what people thought of me, or the perception that people had of me. If it meant that I genuinely they felt love, They felt like they were they belonged in somewhere, and they felt, you know, they were seen, and that's all that matters really at the end of the day. So I don't gratitude totally get that, Yeah, that was all.
Speaker 1: Sorry for That's just spend forty minutes. Forty minutes I was on the floor, on the floor, you just kept saying words back and forth to each other, are dead sober, and just could not contain myself. It was just so funny. I was so that was a moment at the end of the day in my gratitude journal, I was like that moment, it was just so funny. I kud It made me laugh for like eight hours. We were just like, it was like delirious.
Speaker 2: You and your best mates just get into it, delirium ents. You're just in historics for absolutely seriously no reason. Like in hindsight, I reckock when we listen to this back and listen to the explanation of why we think it's so funny, but you at all, that's not even funny one little bit. But somehow, like Sarah's named this link. She sent me this link for this thing, and it says, you know, sports slash, poor slash. That's what we said.
Speaker 1: Even when I listened to you explaining it this time, I was like, Wow, it's really not that funny. That's so funny anyway, bim your recommendation for this week, book, movie, show, YouTube, clip, TikTok real, anything that made you smile other than having a colonoscopy this morning.
Speaker 2: We always say the whole thing without actually saying what the procedure was? You conservative? I was.
Speaker 1: I was like, I had to proceedure this morning. She had a nose, she had a boob job. That's why we called breakference forever.
Speaker 2: I actually blogged my column must be prepped because it was just shut mental.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: I was a little twenty times in the kidding.
Speaker 1: It's really, how many vlogs have you done that you've never released to the universe. You vlog everything, and they just don't edit them so much.
Speaker 2: If I could, I said to you, if I could quit and just do one thing like my job and do one thing forever, I would just want to story tell and create videos to storyteller for the rest of my life. I just love it so much. But yeah, sorry, books, I've already just started reading again, And I say again, but I just started reading ever so ready educated at the moment, I'm about seventeen pages in, so one page more than I was for.
Speaker 1: It's so good. I was going to say, you won't be able to put it down. You put it down like more times than you picked it up. But that's fine. It's a brilliant, brilliant book.
Speaker 2: A friend has got me into the office.
Speaker 1: I think I'm a bit like, oh my god, she's finally there. So funny, Yeah, so funny the office.
Speaker 2: And I've reinvigorated my love for friends.
Speaker 1: Yes, me too, went back to the start. So good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I really love And there's this comedian who's on like, I just find her hilarious. She just pops up to my feet sometimes and everything that comes at her mouth is just so good. Melanie, and I fear her last name. But she's from New Zealand and she's on what's that Teva show on Monday nights. That's really funny that Sampang's in it. How then you know.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know, ed can watch away? You know this? How we'll google it and put in the show notes.
Speaker 2: Anyway, she's got a new show also, Cheap Seats, and that just comes up on my feed sometimes that her name is Melanie something. I'm really not plugging this very well impersonation. She's hilarious, Like, you gotta follow her. She does it really really well. And then the last one is great and Mama, you have to follow Grandma. It's this little Vietnamese boy like Toddler the US. I just love him. He makes me very very happy. Grand Mama on Instagram follow him. He's got these chubby cheeks and bowld haircut and bull hair. Loves food to the moon and back. And he has these videos where he's always says thank He's a really really poor is it really amazing matters and always says to thank you Mama when she gives him food. She does this compilation of like fifty times he goes and cleets his food and it be goes tak your mama, tak your mama. Think and it's these big chicks and it's like a waffles or pancakes or grape or I can say, take your mama. It's just honestly you. I love it. It makes it's a hard poke page. So that's my recommendations.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's so cute. I love them. I only have one to add to that, which is similar. It's like a TikTok account that's also on Instagram that just makes me so hat like. It's just cute and happy. There's a guy called is it Kby or Carby? Oh is yeah. So he's a twenty one year old from Senegal who lives in Italy and he's just basically started this random account I think when he was when he lost his job last year, and he does these like short skits where he just sarcastically points out to people doing really simple tasks, like, for example, how America like two billion dollars making a pen that would write in space, and the Russians were just like, just use a pencil like that kind of thing where people do really simple task but make them really complicated. And then he doesn't even speak in the videos. He just does this like cute little face about it, and it's Scott like, like, he's worth nearly two million dollars now and he's the second most followed TikTok accounts in the world. It's amazing. He lost job and now he's like a millionaire.
Speaker 2: I rate him.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be like, yeah, he's great, he's great.
Speaker 2: I remember the name. I looked it up, Melanie Bracewell.
Speaker 1: Amazing and the show is that she is sometimes have been Pott. I said the attention one, the attention one. Yeah, that was that what usually you would know, you know, Sarah speak Sarah Nese.
Speaker 2: No, we but remember I'm hard.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's true. This is basically guys, basically anyway, BIM, thank you so much for joining. This was an absolute yay of my life.
Speaker 2: We always we did.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much, BIAM. Hopefully see you soon.
Speaker 2: No thanks for having me, monsieur