Speaker 1: You're listening to Amma Mia podcast. Hello and welcome to Mom and Mia out loud.
Speaker 2: What women are actually talking about on Friday, the thirteenth of February.
Speaker 1: I'm hollywayn Right. What sorry, it's bad luck?
Speaker 3: Oh shit thirty Yeah, that's bad luck.
Speaker 2: Friday thirteen, Okay, Friday, the twelve ay Ofbruary.
Speaker 3: All the fourteen like is kind of Valentine's Day, but a day before Friday.
Speaker 1: Valentine's Eve, Yes, February. We love that. And I am Hollywayne right.
Speaker 3: I'm Claire Stephens and I'm Jesse Stevens.
Speaker 2: And here's what's on our agenda for our Friday show. This is the week that the robots finally really freaked me out, and we need to debrief.
Speaker 3: Plus the petty hills we will always always die on And are you a finger princess, because apparently there's one in every friendship?
Speaker 1: Have anything to do with that?
Speaker 3: I think? I don't know, Holly, that's in your dreams. Let's move on from here, but first, in case you missed it, we are about to enter the year of the Horse, the fire Horse, the Year of the fire Horse, and there are some things everyone should know.
Speaker 1: This is in the lunar calendar.
Speaker 3: Right, this is Chinese stroll.
Speaker 1: It's the lunar calendar. I think the new year starts on the seventeenth.
Speaker 3: On the secondeenth, which is next Tuesday, my wedding anniversary. Really, stay well, Claire, I think it's our year. I did some reading. I think it's our year. Feel like so much holly over here is year of the pig.
Speaker 1: Let's not say that with so much glee.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 1: I am a pig. Yes, we'll leave it.
Speaker 3: You've had your years, Claire. We're the year of the horse because we were born in nineteen ninety. Yeah, so this has come round. We are, along with anyone born nineteen fifty four, nineteen sixty six, nineteen seventy eight, two thousand and two, twenty fourteen. Beyond that, I don't believe you exist. And after reading about the Chinese zodiac for eleven minutes this morning, I get the strong sense that good things are coming for us. The fire horse is one of the most powerful combinations on the Chinese zodiac. Susan Goo, a traditional Chinese medicine practitioner and acupuncturist who probably knows a little bit more about this than a White Girl on TikTok or Me says that in Eastern culture, the horse represents action, freedom, speed. You're known for your speed, but fast on your feet, not and breakthrough. It reflects a stage of life that moves boldly forward without the fear of obstacles, placing emphasis on being in motion rather than standing still. So this year, anything that we want to do. Let's say, we want to start running, we want to start gardening, we want to become really into weightlifting. No planning. This is not the year for planning, ladies. This is the year of just going for it. And I was feeling really positive right and I thought, I'm going to rabit in Holly's face.
Speaker 1: Then can I just quickly tell you what's going to happen to pigs this year?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yes, just because you know, I think you want to be represented.
Speaker 1: I want to be represented.
Speaker 2: And also it's not good news as opposed to you, who's got lots.
Speaker 1: Of good news.
Speaker 2: The Year of the fire Horse presents a challenging, high energy, and tumultuous period for pigs. Due to the rapid, unpredictable nature of this year, pigs may face increased stress, emotional sensitivity, and instability in work and relationships.
Speaker 1: That doesn't sound.
Speaker 3: Good, guys, like you've got to go back to bed. Well, Holly in solidarity. I then came across something that was not so good for us, right, because the horse does sound Horses are beautiful, horses are beautiful, energy healthy. Yeah, maybe that's why bio Sensory was sitting on one naked in that Vanity fair profile that we.
Speaker 1: Talked about it. It was a nod to. It was a nod.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So in nineteen sixty six, which was the last time we had a fire horse year, and you know how I said, historically it's a very important year, there was a statistical drop in birth rates in a bunch of Eastern countries. You know why, because there are superstitions around having babies in the year of Christ. Do not want babies in the year of the horse. Apparently they're wild, they're too difficult, and they bring bad luck to the whole family. Oh no, Claire, do you have any feelings about that? Yeah, I mean you're gonna have two of them, so hahah that's hilarious. And we already know that the girl is that Yeah, there's doing a lot of kicking. I'm getting a big horse energy from the girl. Yeah, she's wreaking havoc in there, but I am also having a horse.
Speaker 4: Baby.
Speaker 3: You're having a horse. I'm having a little horse in July. End of July.
Speaker 2: This is news for people who did not listen to yes Yesterday's subscriber Episo said with me where you two talked.
Speaker 1: About your weird twinness pregnancies.
Speaker 2: Exactly when I said weird, sorry to every twin in the world, I meant you're interesting, intriguing and curiosity inducing twin pregnancy.
Speaker 3: Sorry, girls, how do you feel about having that baby in the Year of the Horse? You've been anxious? Well, no, I mean I think to have a horse. I'm like, I already had a horse.
Speaker 1: She came kicking.
Speaker 3: She did come say that. Matilda came out of the womb going ah, she got lost and there were lots of issues. So there's going to be some wildness. Yeah, a lot of city still. Yeah, but I have to say this whole thing about it being our year. No, no, no, no, no, high energy. I have done nothing. I'm doing a lot of standing still, a lot of life.
Speaker 2: You're building a baby. We need to reframe that as work and not laziness.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well I would say I'm feeling less fire horse and more water. Is there a wa No, there is one I've added.
Speaker 1: In the world.
Speaker 3: Water exactly exactly. But I'm on my back, floating, sleeping. Yeah, and that's the energy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a wildlife story that has nothing to do with anything just sidebarring. We can take it out if we want. Because another Chinese early ex sign.
Speaker 3: Is snake, which was the year we'd just had.
Speaker 2: I think, so yes, yes, And on Saturday, this is right, this is the exit of the Year of the Snake. And on Saturday, I was driving down a road near where I live, and I see steaks quite a lot.
Speaker 1: Where I live, because I live.
Speaker 2: In the in the country, not really the country, but you know, regional area, I see stakes quite a lot. I was driving down the roadwhere I live and.
Speaker 1: There was a huge like a huge.
Speaker 2: Green python in the middle of the road, like in the middle of the road, right it was going to get run over. And I was early in the morning, was like seven thirty in the morning and Saturday, and.
Speaker 3: I feel like a sign, Holly, but I don't know what.
Speaker 1: Well, here's me.
Speaker 2: I was like that poor snake it's going to get run over. So I pulled the car over.
Speaker 1: I go over the sea.
Speaker 3: Then what.
Speaker 2: Holly, I go over to see if the snake is in fact alive.
Speaker 1: It is. His little heads up. It's like all very busy like looking looking.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, how do I get the snake off the river along? Because it's going to get squished. And I don't know a lot about snakes, but I know that like where I live, we have black red belly snakes, venomous hie them's a chill.
Speaker 1: Hythens be chill. Anyway, I'm standing there looking like an.
Speaker 2: Idiot, like a city slicking idiot, staring at this snake. And a ute comes along and pulls up, and the man from Central Casting.
Speaker 1: Gets out of this car. Is the ozziest country bloke you have ever seen in your life.
Speaker 2: He's kind of older. He's literally wearing overalls. He's like looks at me like I'm really stupid. But he's quite kind, so he's like dull.
Speaker 1: For that sake.
Speaker 3: You're like, I was just having a child.
Speaker 1: I just don't want him to die.
Speaker 2: He's just looking at me like anyway, I said, I was thinking, how am I get a stick?
Speaker 1: And like, try and.
Speaker 2: Push it off the road, and he's like, you're an idiot, and he said, not poisons, but they're snappy little buggers. And then he goes over to the snake. He picked it up, grabs it by the head and throws it into the giant python.
Speaker 1: And he was just like, there you go. He'll live to fight another day now. And he goes back in.
Speaker 3: His car and he drives off.
Speaker 1: And I was like, snake encounters.
Speaker 3: I love country people.
Speaker 1: Now I realized that was the exit of the Year of the snake.
Speaker 3: I still have a few days to have a snake baby well, because I was too early for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't one of that battle no snake baby babies inside.
Speaker 3: But I have had two snake encounters this year. We had an encounter with a diamond pythen and I got Matilda really into the snake, and then every morning she'd get up and say snakes. Yah. It was in a tree where Matilda was playing. Yeah. And then we saw one on the road as well.
Speaker 2: Apparently they like to warm themselves up on the tarmac. Yeah, that's my friend, that's what my friend would who picked the snake up told me, don't try that at home kN and that had nothing to do with that, but I just wanted to share.
Speaker 3: Also, just a reminder, So, Claire, you and I are on a subscriber episode with Maya where you talk about discovering that you were pregnant. What the journey's been like so far. There's some Duty Twins stuff. Yeah, yeah, that of mea locktus in a room and just asked all the questions. Yeah, and she even said yes sday she said I left a little surprise for you at the end of the episode. So she's making us listen downloads. Yeah, she's desperate.
Speaker 2: Moving on Lewis Kim kissing at the Super Bowl AI. Apparently they were there. They were sitting next week to other but apparently.
Speaker 1: Those photos you've seen of them kissing AI.
Speaker 3: Don't trick me. You know what I keep getting spammed is AI images of Megan and Harry and their children. Yes, and it's clearly not them because I don't share pictures of their kids. But I'm like, who is making these and why?
Speaker 2: Catherine and William like laughing up Royal's lee and passion, Like there's a lot of confusing stuff out there. Obviously Posh dancing at Brooklyn's wedding. We know thats AI because Brooklyn's holding that ace up his sleep for his next drop. But did you know that a lot of people are also getting AI kids school pictures? Now, let me tell you a story in the Nine Newspapers this week by Marie Eldar explained that when she picked her kid up from school photo day recently, she was like, how did the photos go? And her kids said, we didn't have class photo. They're going to use AI to make it. Evidently, Marie writes, the photographer took individual photos of each student instead and seething positions. So that's a lot of a lot of work still, and then we'll string them together using AI to create a group one where everybody looks great. Individual photos stitch together to create a moment that never happened, rather than capture one that did. I hate this so right, So I kind of hate it too because I was like, but somebody looking weird on the weird.
Speaker 1: I need to start. I think it's pejorative, someone looking a bit distracted, a bit messy, yeah, eyes closed.
Speaker 3: The fact it takes you half a day and teachers, you get out of class, it's really hot, you get a really angry photographer. A quarter of the people in the photo look really bad. You then have the status of whether you have to sit in the front row or the back you're going to go.
Speaker 2: And so I was thinking about all that too, and what we have lost, And then I made a point that's probably more intellectual than mine. She said, we've just won a small victory in the new social media band for kids, but now it's showing them that.
Speaker 1: It's okay to fake photos.
Speaker 2: In discussion with other parents in the group chat, I assume they pointed out bigger concerns. Where would these images be stored, Which AI tool were they being fed into? Would their likenesses turn up somewhere unexpected? And I feel like this is the week where everywhere I've looked, the sort of tsunami of AI use is finally tipping over into everything. There was a really confronting, very thorough four thousand word piece in the Australian mag by Roz Thomas about the use of AI among UNI students and that basically said that a conservative estimate of how many students and these were like, these students were studying everything from economic social sciences, nursing, marketing, business were outsourcing almost all their study, and conservative estimate was around eighty five percent, and a lot of the academics said they think it's closer to ninety at least. A typical quote from this from one of the students was it's seven forty am, twenty minutes before the exam is due to begin, and Hayden is still asleep. Has he slept through his alarm, exhausted from late night crammy? Nope, the only work he's done for this exam is researching which AI he'll.
Speaker 1: Cheat to get the best marks.
Speaker 2: In a minute or two, he'll roll out of bed, slap some water on his face, and fire up his laptop. At eight am, he'll feed his exam paper into chat GPT. By eight six am, it will have gifted him thirty correct answers. Hayden knows a perfect score will trip the university's AI detectors, so he'll deliberately mangle a couple of responses to get him to ninety four percent. Then he'll wait three hours to mimic a genuine exam effort before firing his A plus paper back to his examiner. Hayden has now graduated with a high distinction. How much of his final year studies did he outsource to AI?
Speaker 1: All of it? He says, without skipping a beat.
Speaker 2: And this article goes on to interview more students who all say the same thing. More teachers also the same thing, and I was like, I'm troubled.
Speaker 1: Are we troubled?
Speaker 3: We're so troubled?
Speaker 1: But then I thought, am I being a Luddite for being troubled? No?
Speaker 3: No, there's a quote in there that says it's from a Unie student who says, we use AI to answer the questions on our AI generated papers so that our lecturers or tutors can use AI to mark them. And I was like, that is the most depressing thing I've ever heard. I mean, you're not learning anything. And academics, a lot of academics are saying, is this going to be a post literate generation? And I feel for not only academics, but teachers who went into this field because they love reading the thoughts and the ideas and the mistakes of young people like that. That's the whole point is like engaging with that and being like, I have never read that idea before, What an interesting perspective, And that's never going to come out of AI and you've got you could even tell they interviewed someone who is in like year eight, that year eight kid thinks they're smarter than the teacher, which even that dynamic and maybe when it comes to AI and kind of getting around them, maybe they are. But the worry with the university students is that in five minutes they're going to be in the workplace.
Speaker 1: Having faked the.
Speaker 3: Answers. But then I went, Okay, maybe they're more set up for the workplace than I am, because that's what I'm torn about. I'm thinking, well, is the future of the workplace, is the future of social sciences? Is the future of engineering? Or is the future of nursing just the ability to use AI? Really well, maybe it is, and maybe they're better trained than any of us. As depressing as that is, however, something that I take a little bit of glee from is that AI still stuffs up. And so I love when we're doing.
Speaker 1: So little bit worrying. If you're a patient of the nursing.
Speaker 3: Well, exactly A has a little hallucinating exactly so, Jess, I don't know if you've told this story or not loud before about so you know, we're all using chat jpt some kind of AI tool for a million different things. I am using it as a doctor at this point, I'm ingesting. The other day I had food poisonings. Doctors will love that. Yeah, and it's pretty bloody good. It breaks down like this to go to the hospital.
Speaker 1: As far as you know, it's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I'm still standing, Yeah, I'm still standing. But we went to a lovely murder mystery murder mystery night at a friend's place late last year, and obviously the person, lovely lovely girl who organized it did it through chat JPT. So she's like, chat JPT, we're doing a murder mystery night. Give me characters, give me like an outfit that people should wear. Yeah, I had to wear a ball gown. It was everybody else was in these funny costumes and I was in heels and address and I'm like, that's chat JPT. I hate you. But chat GPT had aneurysm at some point during planning this whole thing. The hallucination of chat JPT made the night. It was because it was completely inconsistent. It was that clue didn't match that we get being like, wait, what, that's not what my thing, and everyone speaking in accents. It was a nineteen twenties murder mystery. There was one guy who was like a pe teacher and was complete. He was running a gym. Yeah, and we were like, I don't think there were gims completely modern and it was the funniest but I just went so long as chat GPT still makes mistakes, we're safe. So long as there are images where people have three hands, at least we've got some chance.
Speaker 2: Of where far off that I can tell, I've Kim and Lewis looked pretty convincing pashing at the super Bowl.
Speaker 1: They were in exactly the right outfits. Didn't you come across a weird robot thing this week?
Speaker 2: Too?
Speaker 3: So? I was watching the Lucy let Be documentary on Netflix.
Speaker 2: So she is the British nurse, Yeah, who is convicted of murdering several children.
Speaker 3: Yes, so over a twelve month period there were a number of children.
Speaker 1: Who's another one of those light things that you like to watch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly who died. They were in Nicu, and they died because of circumstances that no one could really explained. So they did an investigation. Lucy let Be came out as having been on shift. So Lucy let Be was found guilty in a court of law, and it's about the courtroom and the trial and everything that happened, but also the debate that's occurred even since. But she's convicted and she's currently in jail. So at the beginning of the documentary it says names, appearances, and voices have been altered, which is something I've seen before to protect identifying information. I thought, particularly because it was to do with babies and the sensitive, incredibly sensitive subject matter, I thought, oh, okay, I totally understand that. But it was when digitally anonymized came up that I went, oh, that's a term I'm unfamiliar with. And the first I suppose, like witness person that they have comes on and it says Zoe's mum and Zoe was one of the victims. And in the top right corner it said digitally anonymized something wasn't right. Her eyes weren't right, her skin wasn't quite right. And I went, robot and I just want to play you a little bit of what this person says.
Speaker 4: Three weeks before my duty, I woke up and my water had broken.
Speaker 2: This was it.
Speaker 3: It was happening at the hospital.
Speaker 2: I got checked out and a scan confirmed everything was fine, so we were ready to meet little Zoe.
Speaker 1: So that's not a human talking, no.
Speaker 3: So I was really confused, just going is that a human or not? And to be clear, Zoe's mum cries, she emotes, she picks up a tissue. There's another one where a best friend of Lucy let be she goes through pictures of her and Lucy like from all across the years, and it's this woman.
Speaker 2: But they're robots, so I can understand what you're saying. Bear with me because I'm not a robot. It takes me a minute. So in a documentary, you know how, sometimes they might interview someone who doesn't want their face on camera. Yes, and they might just cast them in a dark shadow and maybe change their voice by like oo.
Speaker 1: Like that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: It's kind of the new version of that. Yeah, So Zoe's mum, those were her words. I believe she had said or given to an interviewer, put through a different voice and given a whole new face, so that her anonimity is protected. But you have a human to sort of relate to again.
Speaker 3: Yes, but then the irony is I suppose in this documentary, and I turned it off after the friend came on. I just found it so discombobulating and confusing because I thought, the reason we have these testimonies, the reason you would add these into the documentary, is to humanize this story and to remind you that there are real victims and real people at the center of this. They are not real victims, but real peak extent. We've always done that. If we run an anonymous story on the site, you use a stockphold, you use a stock photo. And but it was something about the crying. It was like the fact that this AI generated image was emoting and trying to make me feel something, and I was like, but is that how she would say it? Like? It just felt so disingenuous. And I know that there are other documentaries that have started to kind of play with it, but I think because of the sensitivity of the subject matter as well, a lot of people went, I absolutely have the ick with this and I can't continue.
Speaker 2: To watch it.
Speaker 3: So I was watching the Gabby Potito documentary. So it's called American Murder Gabby Potito on Netflix, and it's the young woman who was murdered by her boyfriend while they were traveling around America, and they have got snippets of her voice because she did so much content online. She was doing YouTube and Instagram videos. They've got her voice that they've been able to use AI to kind of emulate her reading out her text messages. I was so torn because I was like, on the one hand, you've always had like a voice actor do that and you kind of signposts. I mean, the difference is that the voice actor is paid. Yes, that's true, that that's literally putting people out of work. I mean, on the one hand, I thought, well, is it more authentic if it's her voice? But then it's adding emotion and it's adding emphasis where it may not have been there.
Speaker 2: It's very complicated because there are sensible reasons why both those decisions would be made in those In these two examples, you know that it might be more affecting to see a person talking than a shadow head, even if that person isn't real. And this is the thing I worry that I worry about this stuff because maybe that just sort of dates me, makes me a lot. I like the people who worried about calculators and people who worried about Google and people who worried about the printing press.
Speaker 1: I don't know. But also it just feels like.
Speaker 2: It matters what kind of tone of voice Gabby Petito had have been using the artistic decisions that you would make about how that mother said those words, what a tone of voice was. Yeah, are all manipulating your experience with sort of homogenizing humanity. I know that sounds like a big hyfaluton thing, but homogenizing humanity not seeing the weird little nuances in the way people would how do you decide what accent she's gonna have, you know, like is she from somewhere else? All those It's just really it's beginning to freak me out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and we're declaring it now, but how long until it's not declared? Until I'm sitting there just feeling genuinely confused. And it's just part and parcel of the content that we consume. And I worry that having ethics about these sorts of things. I think about it with writing as well, because as the story at the moment about an American author who's written two hundred books in the last year with AI, the quote from her is, if I can generate a book in a day and you need six months to write a book, which Jesus six months, I will trying to write a book in six months. Who's going to win the race? And I was like, one, I didn't know it was a race. It is actually very I mean, she did that near the snakes. But it does make me think, are these ethical concerns can hold people back in the workforce going to hold people back from No one's studying the ethics anymore because they're just doing their essays on the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually success because you're asking the robot what they think about robots, and guess what they think about robots?
Speaker 3: Grabulous out louders. In a moment, we're going to talk about the petty hills. We will always always die on.
Speaker 1: Out louders.
Speaker 4: I'm having so much fun being back in your ears twice a week on our subscriber episodes. On Tuesday, we spoke with Holly we the Royal we Me. I spoke with Holly and Jesse and we've talked about generational parenting. But on that note, as you may have heard, someone is doing some weird twin shit. Claire and Jesse pregnant again at the same time. If you want to know everything about that, and I had questions. Let me tell you, I have shoehorned them into the studio and made them sit down. Jesse had to put a feed up, and I've asked them a lot of questions about Claire's pregnancy and how they're feeling. If you're not already a subscriber, follow the link in the show notes and you can listen to it right now and get us in your ears five days a week.
Speaker 3: Now. We've discussed how this is the year of the Horse and the many ways in which we can become better people, But sometimes we also need a break from self improvement by being unnecessarily and inappropriately Betty. An article on MMEA last week asked seventeen women about the petty hill they're willing to die on. I clicked immediately because I too would like to lie down on a hill. Yea, and it probably wouldn't take that much to make me just collapse on that film. A couple of the responses were things like, I always make a point of walking straight into someone if they don't make room for me when getting off a train. Yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of public transport related ones, right, People who do not let people get off trains before they get on. That's not okay. No, those people.
Speaker 3: Really upside around the world.
Speaker 1: They would all be gone.
Speaker 3: Yes. Another one was if a car starts to tailgate me when I'm going the speed limit or even a bit over, I will purposely slow down. That sounds dangerous and annoying. Yeah, I always convince myself it's a police officer tailgating me and they're testing me, So I always say the speed limit, which must also be annoying. But we also asked around the Mummeya office and here's a few of the hills our friends would like to die on.
Speaker 5: If there is a full boss and someone has their bag on the seat, I will very loudly ask them, can you please take your bag off the seat so I can sit down. When people that are like not sitting in your row on the plane put their carry on luggage in the overhead locker for your section so that when you get on there there's no space, it really drives me nuts, and I.
Speaker 3: Do make a song and dance about it. I get really annoyed when people put things in lockers at the gym, but they don't lock it. I open them and there's like people stuff inside, and I've thought about setting a pin code unlocking it because I have never done it, but I'm so close to you because it's annoying. My petty hill that I die on is when cyclists cut you off and you're a pedestrian. I'll just go so sir, to let them know you've done wrong. You've done wrong, done wrong, did wrong. I never set a pin code at the gym. Yeah, No, I think it signals to the world that I'm trusting. I trust everyone. Yeah, I leave my backpack in all thoughts of places. I like to think that the three of us are quite rational and sensible, not particularly emotional or sensitive. But I do have some strong opinions I'm not afraid to share with the group. Here are the petty hills I'm willing to die on. Sparkling water is simply ruined water. Yeah, if you want bubbles in a beverage, get a coke. It's not right in water. And we've talked about this on a subscriber episode. But also if someone comes to the table and says, what water do you want, I just think that we've got to be speaking default in tap water.
Speaker 1: Tap is fine.
Speaker 3: Still, it's fine, but don't bring me a still bottle and then charge me seventeen dollars for it. I was fine, fine with tap. When people say still, I'm like, oh, you do it well? Goodness. Yeah, crocs are a hideous shoe, and not in an ironic way. No, I disagree. I think that we've moved on. They're dated.
Speaker 1: My son lives only in crops. Yes, they don't look great, but they're easy. And you know, I don't need him to look great. I need him to have his feet.
Speaker 3: Step on the snakes. People who become your best friend immediately are bad news. That's that's a rule. I've always that my nan news to say that. I believe it.
Speaker 2: People who go straight to a nickname of time, but a time must elapse before nicknames are used.
Speaker 3: To Marritt, first sight is just as worthy of analysis and pages in the newspaper as elite sports.
Speaker 1: I just gets them.
Speaker 3: Yes, sure, fact, there's a whole sports section and I'm like, what isn't that great?
Speaker 1: Are you joking? There's some really good anyway, We don't know, we won't. You've got a tennis correspondent here.
Speaker 3: And if one correspondent and my football you're also a maps correspmard and that's a coincidence. Okay, I think it lives in the same universe. Ring tones are a nervous system hazard. There's no reason to have your phone on loud because, let's be honest, it's in your hand. What if you're a doctor, that's actually more annoying. No, in the pit where their phones keep going off during surgery, I'm like, put it on silent. Person delivering my baby to have their phone on loud, why, well, because if they're at home or something, I want them notified it's in their back pocket. Yeah, it's vibrate.
Speaker 2: People who have don't have their phones on silent. I want the outlouders to give us lots of good examples of when your phone needs to be on loud. I guess if it's not next to.
Speaker 3: You, Yeah, but have it on you have pocketed on your person. And my final one is and this is something I think about most days. Bad Neighbors and Bad Neighbors Too are two of the greatest films of the last decade. They're actually so funny, they're so good zach Efron both at their hot and every time I watch it, I go nah, I didn't overhype this. These are really good, great premise. I think about them often. No, I agree with funny, but in like quite a progressive way. Yeah, yeah, no, everyone should watch those films. Okay, I have a few. Nuts are not a satisfying snack that anyone ever truly wants. Okay, I feel like all of yours are going to be about nuts because it's one of the few snacks you're allowed to have. Exactly all you do is text me.
Speaker 2: My second one is nutritional robots are always like four almonds.
Speaker 3: I don't. I've never met someone who feels like four almonds. This is my second one, Suggesting someone have a handful of nuts as a snack has passed thee these are all about and then this is my third one. Most nuts taste like tree unless they're covered in salt or chocolate. Can you have salt?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think a little bit, but I can't really have truck.
Speaker 1: And they kill people. Nuts kill people.
Speaker 3: True, I hate nuts.
Speaker 1: They're so right like almonds are like pistaschios.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I want to hold back four This is obvious. But if I order a diet coke, a coke zero isn't fine.
Speaker 1: I often ask that, now, don't they Yes, oh we do have coke zero.
Speaker 3: And it's like, well, that's not what I asked for. And when Holly asked for a peanut gree, you didn't say, oh, we have a sab blanc.
Speaker 1: Is that fine?
Speaker 3: No, it's not. It's very very important. And a diet coke in a can is not the same as a diet coke in a bottle, is not the same as a diet coke in a glass bottle. And it's not just is not the same as on tap on tap, that's different. If you've got post mix, I'll have pepsi mat can we just get ow?
Speaker 1: Is she maintenance? Not at all? Only when it comes to her soft drink juices.
Speaker 3: No more apps, We're all, oh the things I you know, for daycare, I've got two apps for daycare, one to pay, one to check speaking of my diabetes. You't know how many apps?
Speaker 1: I have.
Speaker 3: Too many? And then it's like, you want to look at pictures of your baby, download this app like from ultrasounds and stuff, and I'm like, I.
Speaker 1: Don't want to look that bad.
Speaker 3: And if I'm eating at your establishment, I don't think I should have to ask you to use the toilet, and then you should have to give me a key with a wooden spoon on the edge. I think that it should just be easily accessible, but there's something embarrassing walking around with the huge thing, and the next time I need to go being like.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't spoon again public transport, clearly lots of people have lots of hills to die on. A quiet carriage is a quiet carriage? The amount of time I spend in my quiet carriage listening to the guy behind me watching sometimes pawn, just porn, but also just some terrible comedy or a really bad bro podcast on loud with no headphones.
Speaker 3: And is he like this is a good place to listen because it's quiet.
Speaker 1: Is the hill to die on? A bit?
Speaker 2: Is that if I turn around to a person who's perfectly happy to watch porn with sound up in a quiet carriage, yeah, it's not gonna go well for me.
Speaker 3: No, And you would have to speak, which is breaking your own rules exactly.
Speaker 2: I'm like, sign usually look around for someone who's pettier and braver than I am and.
Speaker 1: Say tell him on that.
Speaker 2: Point about the people who put bags on seats. My brother is so obsessed with that. That one time I was talking to him because he gets the tram into work in Manchester every day, and he was telling me that he one time saw our local MP and he'd voted for him and he likes this guy and everything, and he had put the local and put his bag on the seat next to him. He's like, that's it. I've never voting with him again. Something in my brother's world.
Speaker 1: That means bad person.
Speaker 2: The baggage carousel stand back, I can't bear what's wrong with us?
Speaker 1: All like pushed up against the carousel said, no one can see their bag.
Speaker 3: You'll see your bag coming and then you can die to it.
Speaker 2: It's like every time I do that, I get really up that about the state of humanity because I'm like, you're just being selfish.
Speaker 3: Stand back again, and you've got plenty of time to see it. You do move too quickly. Yeah, that's actually part of the problem.
Speaker 2: Cottage cheese is not cheese, and cuge cheese brings pleasure.
Speaker 1: Cottage cheese does not, ain't it.
Speaker 3: It's like, really nuts.
Speaker 2: All tomatoes do not go in the fridge ever. Now, if you put your tomato in the fridge, I'm not talking to you.
Speaker 1: You make it taste like nothing.
Speaker 3: Tomatoes, Why I'm having tomato issues. No, most things actually do go on the bench.
Speaker 2: On the bench, but particularly tomatoes. They are always bad if they go in the fridge. The most controversial one I always get a lot of shit for is cream before.
Speaker 1: Jam on is gone. I know it's not traditional, except apparently the Queen does it that way.
Speaker 2: The cream is like the butter. It goes on the bottom. Okay, bag out of a teacup. Don't leave the bag in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is very long. It feels a little bit incomplete. It's like giving you work.
Speaker 2: And then often if you get a tea when you're out there, say leave the bag in, like, no, I'm paying five point fifty.
Speaker 3: Feels like it also feels like the tea is never done. Like every time you take a sip, you're taking a sip of a fundamentally different cup of tea. Yeah, because the concentration of the tea is different at all times.
Speaker 2: And lastly, this is very parent one. But if you do not say please, I cannot hear you.
Speaker 1: That is the parents.
Speaker 2: Everybody's like when they say can I have a chocolate?
Speaker 1: You just ignore them.
Speaker 2: They say it again you say, pardon, I can't hear you in a loud voice.
Speaker 1: That's very important. You will get to this.
Speaker 3: That is so, That is so true. Yeah, man is a good teach teach toddlers, because you're like, I know how badly you want that, don't You'll do anything.
Speaker 2: But I cannot hear you until you say the magic word. It's been working for centuries.
Speaker 3: After the break. There is a finger princess in every group, and it's less dirty than it sounds. Apparently everyone has an annoying friend called the finger princess. And I fear the more I read about this, the more I discover I am one. A finger princess is someone who asks extremely simple questions they could easily google. There are definitely a few out louders who might be finger princesses, and they jump in the group and they ask things.
Speaker 1: Although actually getting opinions.
Speaker 3: Exactly and recommendations. I feel very defensive of them because solidarity. So that the type of person who says, you're in a group chat and they say, so, what times doennis night? What restaurant do we agree on?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 3: Can you send me the menu? Where are we park?
Speaker 1: Where is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, all of that that's what they do. They might post in a Facebook group and if ask if someone knows of a hairdresser in Sorry Hill's, and people go, you could google ah. They might say to their partner where my water bottle is, even though they haven't moved up the lounch and looked for themselves. They ask questions that really they should use a little bit of initiative. That was the term I heard a lot in high school, was like, you should use initiative, and I was like, I remember a teacher playing a guessing game with me where the word who was clearly getting me to come up with was initiative and it went for like seven minutes.
Speaker 1: I was like, I have no.
Speaker 3: Idea what you're asking me. Finger princesses are used to people doing things for them and won't engage in any basic problem solving. Do we have any finger princesses in the room.
Speaker 2: Yes, I am one, and I don't mean to be. And this goes back to our AI conversation sometimes is I sometimes realized that even in a work setting, I'll be like, oh, I don't know how to do X y Z, and I might ask someone how to.
Speaker 1: Do X y Z.
Speaker 2: The look I get on the faces of the young people make me realize I was meant.
Speaker 1: To ask Ai that question.
Speaker 3: Luke has started saying that to me. He will say to me, so just so you know what I'm going to do is asking my chat And I'm like, okay, you ask I don't like, but sometimes I need someone to tell me that.
Speaker 2: And sometimes and also sometimes you need to actually have a conversation with a person and you learn better that way. And awesome defensive finger princesses, is there are hairdressers in sorry hills. You're not really asking, is there? You're asking? Do you recommend one? Recommendations from robots are not reliable, as we've discussed, whereas recommendations from out louders are very good.
Speaker 3: How your foster a sense of community? All Facebook groups are people asking questions they could google. Like that's that's how people spend their time. If we just googled everything we possibly could, we would simply never ask a question because Google slash AI can answer everything. The other thing is like, sometimes you need the vibe, not a chat GPT response. It's like when people go to a Facebook group and they've got a weird rash and like I've got a weird rash, and all the responses that are always will go to the docks. It's like, well, I don't want to go to the doctor. I want to vibe.
Speaker 1: And someone will say picture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's like, well, now you've made me panic. Yeah, you've made which is one But the only answer I ever want is it's fine. Yeah. It's like do I currently have sepsis? Because if not, I'm actually just gonna chill and read your responses. Are we all good? Are we all good? But I also think everyone needs to calm their hell down and stop pointing fingers at their friends and coming up with bloody criticisms.
Speaker 1: Print exactly finger.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I thought it was good to ask people for help because it makes them feel like they matter. Yes, mattering, And I actually always think I ask very little of people in tangible terms, like I'd never ask I'd very rarely ask for like a lift or like can you help me move or anything like that, But I will say when's dinner? Where am I going? All of that. I do think that's probably quite annoying, like for the people that always know, and it's like they booked and they found the thing and it's like, Hey, well, we going to dinner and what time?
Speaker 1: Like that's probably annoying.
Speaker 3: The other thing is I read this article and I thought, what we need to encourage? And this is completely hypocritical of me because I don't do it. But just be direct if you have an issue. If your friend says what time's dinner, you can say I don't know, look it up. Okay. No, I disagree because this article had some advice on what to say if you have a fingerprintcess friend and it says you ask, hey, have you seen my water bottle in the office day? And I say I'm not sure. Where have you tried looking for it? Okay, so you're a bitch. And then you say to me, hey, can you send me the menu for tonight? So I just know what's on the menu. I don't have it, but it should be easy to find.
Speaker 1: Yes, on the website, say on the website.
Speaker 3: It should be on the website. And then you'll say, well, of that, and then where are we going ak to the website? Can you send me the url? Please? And then like you ask me, you know, some vague question, and I say, can you actually look into that for me and let me know what you find m power, move absolute power. You can't. A finer princess will never take on the mental load. They'll just be like that's weird and then not just go to someone in their house and be like, hey, can you do this job?
Speaker 1: There is no bigger finger princess than a teenage daughter. She is on the couch and she is mom, is there any water?
Speaker 3: No way out?
Speaker 2: Like imagine if I tried that one and I was you could find.
Speaker 1: Why didn't you go find out? Tell me if there's any water?
Speaker 3: You get me one? She'ld be like, what, mom's broken?
Speaker 1: Dad?
Speaker 3: Can you get MoMA water?
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 3: People are annoying and they do ask questions they could google. But the cost of human relationships is that friction of every then being like, h shut up. It's not something we need to diagnose.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I think out loud.
Speaker 2: Is it going to have a lot of fun diagnosed with finger princess people in their last Yeah.
Speaker 4: Vibes, ideas atmosphere, something casual, something fun.
Speaker 3: This is my best recommendation. It's Friday, so we want to help set up your weekend with our best recommendations. Holly, you go first.
Speaker 2: I'm going to recommend hip new books that everyone is talking about. It was written in eighteen forty six.
Speaker 3: Oh, don't tell me you've reread Buthering I have.
Speaker 2: I think I told the outlouders this, but I am reckoing it today because this is the week that Wuthering Heights comes out. We went to the premiere in fact, and we're saving all of the juicy details about what it's actually like until next week.
Speaker 1: But it is huge.
Speaker 2: And the thing is what's exciting about it is everybody is going to read Wuthering Heights. They have had Penguins say that they have had a four hundred and sixty nine percent increase in sales of Wuthering Heights this year alone, and it's only going to get more. So I am recommending it. But I need to give you a little bit of warning about that book, right, Okay, So Emily Bronte wrote that book one hundred and eighty years ago, and it is some twisted shit. If you haven't seen the movie and you've just seen the greatest love story of all time and all that stuff, like, just be prepared for what you're about to step into. When it was written and in the old days, the Brontes wrote their books under a male pseudonym because women were allowed to write books, and if they were, they were dismissed as very silly. When it was published, one of its early reviewers said, how a human being could have attempted such a book without committing suicide before he had finished a dozen chapters is a mystery. It is a compound of vulgar depravity and unnatural horrors.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that is why it stood the test.
Speaker 2: Of That is what we have to contend with with Wuthering Heights right now. Emily wrote this in lesson a year. It is the only novel she ever wrote. It is not believed that Emily Bronte ever had a boyfriend or a lover, or actually knew any men that she was not related to, so they think that Heathcliff was really based on her brother, who was.
Speaker 1: To use a pejorative, a crazy person.
Speaker 2: Anyway, if you think it is a soppy love story, you have a very big shotcoming. So I don't want to hear any winging about trigger warnings about going this movie or reading this book. It is some dark, twisted shit. However, I am recommending it because it is brilliant. It stands a test of time.
Speaker 1: It's actually a book that's gossip because the whole plot.
Speaker 2: Of Wuthering Heights is somebody who used to work in the house where all this went down telling someone.
Speaker 1: Else about it. So it's like earwigging on a gossip session, just.
Speaker 3: A bit like married at first sight. It's so like my first sight. Are you one of those people who is mad that the film is not a perfect because there are a lot of literary shits.
Speaker 2: Not, No, I'm not at all, because I think we've talked about this on the show. But I've got my head around the fact that Emerald Fanell says she's written a movie inspired by the book.
Speaker 1: All accounts that it's.
Speaker 2: Brilliant, it's dark, it's twisted, and I am recommending you read it because it is brilliant, but it isn't a stoppy love story. And also to remind everybody that women have been writing dark, crazy, sexy, pucked up shit forever without church epity, without with no robots, and even when they had to pretend they were doing to write them. So it's like, there's something deeply feminist about that book. And I am highly recommending that if you're going to go see the movie. Read it, not because you need to for the movie, but just to like wallow in the depravity.
Speaker 1: As that reviewer said, there's all kinds of abuse, there's all kinds of unhealthy relationships on display. It's great.
Speaker 3: I have a recommendation for a book as well, which is called The Correspondent by Virginia Evans.
Speaker 1: Was that written in eighteen forty sereo?
Speaker 3: It was not. I believe the reason why I had to read it was because it kept coming up, as which I think I said about Heart the Lover as well, it kept coming up in everyone's best twenty twenty five books. This one it was plaguing me. Everyone was going, you have to read this. It's brilliant and it sounds unreadable because it's a series of letters, so the whole thing is written in letter form. The main character is named Sybil van Antwerp, and she's a seventy year old woman and it's about memory and guilt and aging and relationships and her relationship with her daughter. The way they unfold. This author is able to unfold plot through letters is just nothing short of genius. It's just incredibly mesmerizing. Like from the first page, I was just in Claire. You've read it too. I sobbed and sobbed. Yeah, it's just and that.
Speaker 1: What's it about.
Speaker 3: It starts off being about all the little things in her life, like her neighbor who's clearly kind of interested in her, and her brother and her, but it becomes clear that she's lost her son. It's got the most incredible passages about grief. She's got a fractured relationship with her daughter that kind of opens up. But you also see her bitching about her daughter like to other people in the letters, and so things are changing over time. But it's also like it reminds you of the beauty and the power of letters, Like how much has been lost that we don't write each other letters anymore.
Speaker 2: You can get GPT to write emails. I'm sure they'd have just the same emotional heft.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, Well there's actually a personality in these and the tone of everyone that's really different is just amazing. And I also want to throw in another one actually, because I listen to true crime conversations all the time. I used to host it. It is a Mummere podcast. It is one of our biggest podcasts. It is fascinating they interview every week someone who who knows is an expert in a particular criminal case. And you might remember in twenty nineteen there was a young woman, a twenty five year old named Courtney Heron, who was murdered after a night out in Melbourne's CBD. Jemma Bath just last week interviewed Courtney Heron's father and he goes into his very personal experience of the justice system and the mental health systems and why he believes Courtney was denied justice. It's just such a generous podcast for him to even sit down and talk about it. But also it has so much heart and twenty nineteen it just feels so so recent, and Jemma does such a brilliant job with it, so we'll link to that in the show.
Speaker 1: Notes as well.
Speaker 3: My recommendation is I listened to this podcast on a long car trip over the holiday and oh my god. It's a documentary style Apple original podcast called a Drift and it follows the story of the Robertson family and it's the late nineteen sixties in England. They're struggling with life on a farm when Google the father decides, guys, let's sail around the world. So it's a true story. It's a true story, okay, and there's been a book written about it, and you've got the stories from all the kids who were there and went through this whole experience. And it's fascinating because there's a big plot point of what happens, which we'll get to, but even just all the tiny side stories it goes into are brilliant. So it's the parents and they're four kids and so interesting in terms of family dynamics. What happens when they stop in Florida for a few months to work and kind of get involved with a bit of a shady guy, and what it's like to sail in literal paradise, the things they see that having been like inland in England, they had never seen before. But the crux of the story is that one day they are sailing in the Pacific Ocean pretty much as as much in the middle of nowhere as you could possibly be. They have an encounter with killer whales that makes their boat sink and they are stranded, oh shit, and no way to contact anyone, minimal supplies, surrounded by sharks, and it is just the most you can't believe. It's a true story, except that they are telling it. The kids who are in the boat are telling the story. So it's a beautifully made show with you know, all the soundscaping and like all how many episodic And I love a limited series podcast, especially for a road trip that you know you'll get this whole story.
Speaker 1: It's great to jump into one of those.
Speaker 3: And you're just enthralled. So go and listen wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 1: It's called a drift.
Speaker 2: Just one thing about reading about books. I just want to remind everybody about our summer book club series which we made with our partners at Royal Caribbean. We did three very different books Jesse m and I. We did All Fours by Miranda July, we did Great, Big Beautiful Life by Emily Henry, and we did Angie fe Martin's Malluka. And the people who have listened along with that, we've had lots of great feedback about it.
Speaker 3: We had a lot of out louders say that Malaluca was the one that they enjoyed the most, which I think we said as well because we hadn't read it yet. Yeah, Australian fiction debut author came out last year, so much discussion happening about that book.
Speaker 2: All four was probably the most divisive. Yeah, probably most in the spirit of my friend Emily Bronte.
Speaker 1: But anyway, you.
Speaker 2: Can find all the Mom and Mere book Club episodes in our feed and we'll put a link in our show notes. You can go straight there if you and your mates want to read along and listen to those epps. That is all we have time for out Louder. Feels like it's been quite a lot today.
Speaker 1: We've been all over the place.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to you Claire Stevens for filling in for our Emily. Thank you to our brilliant team.
Speaker 1: You want to shout some of them out.
Speaker 3: Group Executive producer Ruth Devine, Senior producer Tina Mattalov, our senior audio producer is Leah Porgies, video producer Josh Green, and our junior content producer is Tessa Kodovich. Bye Bye, Mamma.
Speaker 2: Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we've recorded this podcast.