Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mum with Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: I have this constant feeling that everything is my fault no matter what I do, I always blame myself for everything, even if I have nothing to do with it. Did you have a parent who never really apologized when they made mistakes?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: What if a child never witnessed their parent apologize.
Speaker 2: The child then internalizes that and says, well, then it must be my fault.
Speaker 1: For Mama Mia.
Speaker 3: I'm your host, Ashani Dante. Welcome to But are you happy? Because regulating your nervous system takes more than a macha and a mantra?
Speaker 4: And I'm doctor Anastagia hernis a clinical psychologist passionate about happiness and mental health. A question for you listener. Do you sometimes hear a voice in your head that says mean things about you, things you would never say about someone you cared about?
Speaker 3: Oh that old chestnut I call my inner meaning Luke.
Speaker 4: Look, most of us have this voice from time to time. But when this voice starts to impact our mental health or our quality of life, that's when we really need to learn to quieten it down.
Speaker 3: So you're going to tell us what's going on here, right and how to make our looks a.
Speaker 1: Little bit kinder to ourselves.
Speaker 3: Right, yep, can't wait, let's get into it, okay. So, Anastasia, the question I have is that inner critic voice isn't all that bad? Like should we actually get rid of it?
Speaker 4: My favorite first question, Yes and no, Like, yes, the inner critic can be really destructive when we experience it in excess, or when what it says to us is really unhelpful. So there's kind of two things we want to look at here. How much we experience the inner critic, how often it comes up into our head, how often it talks to us, how loudly it talks to us, right, So the kind of intensity and frequency of it. But then we also want to look at the content of what it says. Sometimes the inner critic might say things that gives us a bit of a push or a nudge. You know, if you're studying for a UNI assessment and it's like, well, you didn't get a great mark because you didn't really study that hard. Maybe next time you should try a bit harder. It's probably some truth to that, and that could actually be helpful and useful for us. So we've got to really examine the usefulness of the content along with how frequently we experience that inner critic.
Speaker 3: I really love that because also when we think of an acritic, we often just want to like push it away and not listen to it at all. But what I'm hearing is that we actually should be curious about it because it's telling us more right.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And the reality is, try as we might, we will never fully get rid of an inner critic. We're all always going to have an inner critic. So part of the challenge for us is to get comfortable with that fact and to be able to tone it down and moderate it. But it serves a function. It does exist to give us a bit of a sort of moral framework and compass right, to let us know when we think we've done the wrong thing or we should have done something better than what we did, and to be a bit of a guide in life to give us that feedback that we sometimes need to hear. So it's always going to exist for that purpose.
Speaker 3: And I guess, like with that, when you said that there's different types of the inner critic, what are some other ways that we can really label like the different types.
Speaker 4: So I'm going to break it down into three types of inner critics, and listeners out there follow along and see if you can identify your inner critic and what type it might fall into. First type is what we call a demanding in a critic. Now, this is the type of inner critic that puts pressure on us. When we have this inner critic, we feel pressure. We feel that push feeling, and it sounds like a lot of should you should do better, you should try harder, you should have known better, you shouldn't have got such a bad mark, you should have got that promotion. Right. It's that feeling of forward pressure. But pressure can sometimes feel crippling as well. Right, So the demanding in a critic pushes us. Sometimes it pushes us a bit too hard and a bit too much. If we have this type of inner critic in and of itself, it's fundamentally not bad. But if we experience it in excess, we want to be able to turn down the volume and tone it down a little bit if we're feeling like it's too overwhelming.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, so that's demanding.
Speaker 4: So that's first type.
Speaker 1: Okay, first type.
Speaker 4: Next type is what we call a punitive in a critic. Now, this looks and feels very different. If we have a punitive in a critic, we feel squashed, right, and the punitive in a critic sounds very different. It sounds like you're you're a terrible person, You're worthless. No one's ever going to love you, everyone will leave you your shit, why even bother. You'll never get anything right in your life. So it's a real squashed feeling. It doesn't push us forward like the demanding in a critic does. It squashes us down and it makes us feel shit about ourselves. When we have a punitive in a critic that doesn't serve any functional purpose. There's nothing useful or helpful about having that style of in a critic. And so in the therapy room, if I'm working with someone who's got a punitive in a critic, our goal is to get rid of it. We don't want it around. It's not helpful, it's not useful.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: It's so if we look at the difference so far, so is that does that mean like the demanding it's more action orientated, whereas the punitive's more like internal criticism? Or how would you like discern between the two.
Speaker 4: That's that's the difference. That one is functional and one is not. So the demanding in a critic can be functional because it can motivate us. It can push us. It can give us feedback when we've done something wrong and we need to correct it, you know, so, it can motivate us towards action when we've got it in the right degree. The punitive one, if I'm telling myself that I'm a terrible, worthless person, I don't feel like getting up and being motivated to do things. I feel like lying in bed, and I probably feel pretty awful about myself. The third is what we call a guilt inducing in a critic. This is the inner critic that makes you feel riddled with guilt even when you shouldn't feel guilty, even when you haven't done anything wrong. So I'm going to throw back to the exit we heard at the start where that girl was like, I see someone walk down the street and fall down, and I feel guilty and bad about it, like it was my fault even though it's clearly not. The guilt inducing in a critic is the one that tells us we're selfish. We should care about other people more. Why didn't we look after others? If we say no to going to our parents' house for lunch this weekend. We feel really bad about saying. No one really guilty about it. So that guilt inducing in a critic. Again, we can have it in excess. Sometimes it's useful to feel guilty, but if someone's got this style of inner critic, they're probably feeling it way too much and in circumstances that don't warrant them feeling guilty.
Speaker 3: It's really funny because now that you've spoken about all three, I'm just like, I feel like I've got all three?
Speaker 1: Is that a bad thing?
Speaker 4: Well, it's it's it's not ideal.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well it's a therapy, guys, but.
Speaker 4: It's common, right, It's common for people to have combinations. It's some people might be listening and think, okay, I've only got that one. Other people will be like, I can see combinations of all of them. And that's not an uncommon experience for people to have.
Speaker 3: Okay, So where does the inner critic come from?
Speaker 4: We're not born naturally with an inner critic, right, We don't come out of the womb hating on ourselves. It's something we develop throughout our life. Life. The inner critic is first formed during our early childhood years through those formative years, and it's very much influenced by the messages that we hear from people around us. Now, they might be messages that are modeled to us, or they might be messages that we are told directly. So if you know, little Sally goes to school and she comes home from school and she's like, I got ninety five out of one hundred in my maths test, and Mum and dad say to her, well, what the hell happened to the other five percent, little Sally's going to start to develop an inner critic that says, I should always be doing better. Nothing I do is good enough. I can't even get ninety five. That's not good enough. Only one hundred is good enough. So we start to internalize That would be an example of a demanding inner critic that starts to develop if from a young age we hear messages where we are invalidated, where our experiences are invalidated, where we're told you're a bad child for behaving that particular way. Right, when terms like good and bad use towards children, they can also start to develop that in a critic. But it's not just what message is told to us as kids. It's also what we see modeled. So if I'm growing up and I see that every time Mum, I don't know, makes a wrong turn when she's driving the car, and she goes, gosh, I'm such an idiot. Why did I do that? I always stuff up for I can never get anything right. We see other peoples in a critic coming to the forefront, and we also then start to internalize if I take a wrong turn when I drive, I must be an idiot as well, because that's what Mum said. Right now, All this happens on a very subconscious level. But if we add another layer of society to that, society and culture also give us messages about what is or isn't quote unquote good or bad behavior right. Society in our culture tells us how we should be in the world, and if we don't fit that mold, we develop inner criticisms around it.
Speaker 3: There really is so many layers to it, isn't it when you actually unpack it like that as well? And I think it's it's interesting we're talking about, you know, a lot of the things that shaped you when you were a child, and I know that's been a theme throughout a lot of the episodes, and I feel like it's very easy to blame our family, right, being like, Oh, if you didn't say that thing, I wouldn't be like this. And I think it's probably later in life, when we're a little bit older, that we build our awareness. But I think also it's remembering that, you know, our parents are human too, and they're doing the best that they can with the capacity that they have, right, So it's like, how do we balance it all out when we do find the source of why we're being so mean to ourselves?
Speaker 4: And I think you make a good point there, because it's never one isolated experience, right. It's not because Mum said that one time. Oh I'm such an idiot? Why did I do that? That we internalize that. It's when we see these patterns through our life, or patterns in the people or the culture around us that give us these really strong messages about what is or isn't acceptable, that we then really internalize those patterns.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And it's interesting too because with a lot of the workshops I around with teenage girls, one of the first things we do get them to do is in order to build self awareness. It's been able to discern you know, where did these negative thoughts come from? And you know, a lot of the time girls are saying things like, oh, society tells us we need to, you know, have it all together, be perfect, but don't be too perfect, and you've got to be slim thick, and they break it all down. It's the same narrative I hear all the time, and it breaks my heart, like thinking about it because it's just, oh, I'm getting emotional.
Speaker 1: I don't know if we're going to cut this out, but it's something.
Speaker 3: I'm really passionate about because they feel really deflated, you know, they feel disempowered, they feel trapped because that's just how they've grown up, that's just what they've seen. And it's really coming back to a lot of the tools that we've been you know, weaving through all the episodes. It's like, at the end of the day, what can we control? And it is our self empowerment and our environment as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And the unfortunate thing is that kids and teens don't yet have the skills to be able to really fact check their inner critic, right, they just believe it. Well, you know, as kids and teenagers, we don't have that cognitive capacity. Yet like we do as adults, we can take that step back and really kind of examine our inner critic from a really critical lens, But as kids, we don't yet have that ability developed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, and I think it all exists in conversations, right. It's only once we have the courage to have these conversations know that we're not alone, because what we're getting is that we all haven't in a critic, and it's around how do we learn to work with it.
Speaker 4: I've seen so many people come to the clinic who have that loud, debilitating in a critic and you would not pick it looking at them from the outside. I have people who come to the clinic. They're lawyers and their judges and their CEOs, and they're you know, also their public figures. They're in sorts of work. I guess that requires them to be very front facing and have a confidence to them when they carry out the skill set they're required to do in their career. And if you looked at them from the outside, you would not pick that they had this really strong inner critic, because it is something that some people can hide from the outside world. So exactly to your point, we don't know what someone else's inner critic is saying to them. We do sometimes meet people on the flip side where we can hear their inner critic. They literally say out loud, oh no, I'm so sorry I did that wrong. I was such a bad friend. I should have called you, I didn't call you enough, and were like, well, stop, it's okay. You know, some people will literally talk out there in a critic. Other people will mask it really really well. But what we can see it's sort of manifest as in terms of behaviors, is chronic depression. So people who have a very loud and particularly punitive in a.
Speaker 1: Critic that is washing one.
Speaker 4: That's the squashing one. Yep. That's really hard to manage in the long run, and it is very much correlated with having long standing depression, but also low self esteem. If we have a little voice in our head telling us every day how terrible we are, we're not going to feel particularly good about ourselves.
Speaker 3: And do you have any like examples of any clients you've worked with recently, obviously like keeping confidentiality and everything like that, of like what you worked on.
Speaker 4: Yes, honestly, it's one of the most common things that we do in therapy, and so I'm thinking about, you know, clients that I've seen recently, where I mean, part of the work we do is unpack, firstly, what is your inner critics saying to you, so we can identify what type of inner critic have you got? What is the inner critics saying? And so I'm thinking of someone I worked with who was in sort of corporate sort of space, and they were really great at their job, but they worked excessively long hours. They would come home at the end of the night and still tell themselves I haven't done enough. I'm not going to get that promotion. I'm doing a terrible job. Other people are doing better than me. Why am I not able to achieve the things I want? Why don't I have enough energy? Why can't I seem to do all these things? Right? Just really really harsh, demanding, but flavors of punitive as well, right, And so it was really about us trying to understand what's your inner critics saying to you? And is it helpful? Like, if your goal is to get that promotion at work, is the inner critic actually helping you get there? Or is it making you feel exhausted and terrible about yourself so that when you go home, you can't sleep, you don't eat much, you know, perpetuate the cycle of exhaustion, and then you probably don't get the promotion that you're after. Like, is it actually helping you get where it wants you to go? Because it's pushing you in a direction, but is it helping you get there?
Speaker 3: So would you say that the inner critic is the same as intrusive thoughts?
Speaker 4: I'll answer that by explaining what intrusive thoughts are. So every single one of us has intrusive thoughts, right, intrusive thoughts. Many of our thoughts are automatic. We don't choose them, they pop into our head. Right, So if I'm walking down past the road and I see a cafe with some donuts, my brain will be like, ooh, yom donuts. I didn't choose to think that, My brain just thought it, right, So it's an automatic thought. A lot of our thoughts are automatic. We don't have control over their initial kind of being, but we can choose what we then do with them. Right, So we all have automatic thoughts. We all have intrusive thoughts. Okay, so intrusive thoughts are and listen out at home, because I'm sure everyone will have had them. Intrusive thoughts are these thoughts where we're walking down the street and something really weird and random pops into our head and we go, oh, my god, what the hell where did that just come from? So, for example, I'm walking down the street and I go, what if I just stepped out on the road in front of all this traffic? And I'm like, what on earth? Why did I think that? For I don't want to step out into the road in front of all the traffic. Thanks, I'm happy. You walk into work, Or we walk to the edge of the cliff and we go, what if I just jumped off this cliff. Or we're in the kitchen and there's a knife and we go, what if I just picked up this knife and stabbed my hand. Now, intrusive thoughts, we all have them, right, so most of us will go, whoa, what was that? That was strange? Put that aside and carry on, right, So I want to normalize intrusive thoughts happened to everyone for some of us, And this is where this is actually more kind of into the things like OCD. Some of us will notice that intrusive thought and go, oh, my goodness, why did I think that Maybe there's something in me that wants to do that or that wishes that to happen. Because we can have intrusive thoughts about other people, right, what if my mum's driving home from work and she gets hit by a car. So they're all these kind of they usually got this like harm element to them, and they're quite confronting for us to think, but they're often not congruent with how we feel or what we actually want in life. So it's important for us to be able to notice them and be like, well, no, no, thank you, put that out of head. Keep going. Now, in the context of the inner critic, the inner critic can be automatic, so those thoughts can automatically come in where the inner critic goes, god, you did a shit job at that, right, So we don't have too much control over that initial thought, but we can choose whether we then give it more weight and we think about it more and more we put it to the side.
Speaker 3: So is it kind of like do we act the same way, like how we respond to intrusive thoughts or intrusive thoughts? It's more of like, okay, put that away. In a critic do you feel like you need to work with it? More like I'm trying to figure out the difference.
Speaker 4: We want to question how much validity we give any thought that pops in our head, whether it's the thought that says, hey, you're standing near the edge of a cliff, what if you jumped off? Or hey, you're a shit person because you didn't say good morning to your friend, right. Any thought we have that's automatic that we don't choose. We want to be able to take that moment and be like, is this true, is this helpful? Is this something I should listen to, is it something I should think about more? Or is it not actually congruent with my experience of what's happening, in which case I want to try and put it to the side.
Speaker 3: It's really good that we're talking about intrusive thoughts too, because as you're talking about it, I'm like, oh, I've had intrusive thoughts, but it's just it's something that's popped up. But then you just you can't wigs you out a little bit because it literally comes out of nowhere. So it's good to know that that can be somewhat of a normal experience that people experience.
Speaker 1: It all the time.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, So, how does imposter syndrome flow into all of this?
Speaker 4: Imposter syndrome and the inner critic go hand in hand, right, This idea of the imposter syndrome is where we doubt ourselves, we doubt our ability, we doubt our capacity, we doubt our achievements, and we think we're not good enough. In fact, one of the most common inner critic, deep seated beliefs is the I'm not enough, I'm not good enough, And so imposter syndrome tells us you're not good enough for that job, you're not good enough in this relationship, You're not good enough in some way, shape or form. And what this can result in is compensating for that. So maybe if we think we're not good enough or we doubt ourselves, we don't apply for that job, or we don't apply for the promotion, or we don't go on that first date. Right, So we might avoid situations that bring up and trigger up the self doubt, the imposter syndrome, and the inner critic, or we might do the opposite. We might overcompensate. We might make sure that when we go on that first date, we put tons of makeup on and we've got our hair professionally done, and we're wearing our best outfit, and we have, you know, prepared ten questions that we're gonna ask the person that we're on a date with. Right, we might overcompensate, we might overwork in the workplace to try and get that promotion. So the experience of imposter syndrome and self doubt and the inner critic can play out differently for different people.
Speaker 3: It sounds like there really is different flavors of imposter syndrome. And it's funny when you were talking about imposter syndrome being like holding hands with inner critic, I literally got a visual of that being like, oh wow, they really are friends. Like they are friends because the inner critics like you're bad, and then imposter Syndrome's like you're bad because of you know, that job or the way that you said that thing. It's like they are this kind of team.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, And I think as well. The reason I like this conversation is because we're getting into the nuance of the inner critic, and I imagine that many people listening may have heard about the inner critic or imposter syndrome or self criticism at some point and the automatic advice is to be less critical, be less hard on yourself, love yourself more. It's kind of a very blanket approach, but actually there's so many ways in which we can experience the inner critic, and then so many different things we do as a result of the inner critic that we really want to approach this topic with some nuance so that we can have the best outcomes.
Speaker 3: Love that. So with this theme around negative self talk, it's interesting because I find, you know, after working with lots of teenage girls, body image is one of the common issues that we see when it comes to inner critic.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 4: My thoughts is, man, I've been a psychologis for what ten years, and I have a PhD. And I sometimes struggle with this, right like, our society and our culture infiltrates these messages about body image, and so I think for so many of us as adults, we would struggle with it. How can we expect kids and teens not to be impacted by the constant messaging that we receive around what is or isn't the ideal body?
Speaker 3: And I think as well, as much as it is hard with society and what we see on social media. We are starting to make change. You know, we are celebrating more body diversity. We're seeing it more, which I think is something to celebrate too.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, absolutely, we've made moves in the right direction. We still have a lot of work to do.
Speaker 1: Do a lot of work.
Speaker 4: And it's not just young women, young men as well impacted by the stereotype of what the ideal body is. So I think, yeah, if we've got a lot of work still to.
Speaker 3: Do after this shop break, doctor Anastasia is going to teach us exactly how to work with that inner critic rather than allowing it to take over. Stay with us, Anathasia. I already feel so much better knowing that we all have an inner critic, not alone, not alone, So how do we exactly work with it?
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm going to talk us through four different strategies today as to how to work with the inner critic, but they're all going to be grounded in this concept of self compassion. Now, what is self compassion? Let's just talk about that for one minute. Self compassion is different to self esteem. Right, often when people hear, oh I feel bad about myself, I need to build my self esteem? Is the automatic reaction. I say, let's build self compassion instead. Self esteem is dependent on how good I am. It requires me to find things about myself or my life life that I feel good about. I got a really good mark on that assessment, I got that job that I went for. I've got a close circle of five friends that I feel really good about. Right. It requires me to identify things to make me feel good. That's what self esteem is all about. Self compassion is different. Self compassion says we are all human, we are all flawed, we all make mistakes, and we all struggle, and that is what being human is. So instead of trying to constantly be perfect and strive for the ideal version of ourselves where we don't make mistakes and we don't stuff up, let's work to instead accept the fact the stuff ups will happen, the mistakes will happen, the ugly moments in life will happen that we wish we could go back and redo. But instead of beating ourselves up about those moments, can we instead meet ourselves with kindness and compassion. So what we know from the research is that people who are compassionate towards themselves generally feel more kind of satisfied and optimistic about their life. They're generally able to forgive themselves more easily. They have a strong sense of self worth and identity, and they can focus more on kind of the learning and the personal growth rather than getting stuck down in the negative feelings attached to the inner critic.
Speaker 3: This is really good you're laying it out like this, because if we did take self compassion out, it's just self esteem, but it's still performative based, like it's still based on external So I like that we're coming back to a foundation of self compassion.
Speaker 4: Yes, perfect. So four different strategies. First one is reframe, and reframe through the lens of self compassion. So if you find that your inner critic is giving you a hard time and it's talking to you in a really mean way on the fact that you are human, you are imperfect. Anyone hearing this right now feeling triggered, You've got some inner work to do. My friends, you are all imperfect. We are all imperfect. We have to learn to accept that fact right rather than fight against it, because we will forever be trying to fight against it if we can't accept it. So reframe your self criticism, to be kind to yourself, to be able to tell yourself, I'm struggling right now, and that's okay. Everyone has bad moments. Everyone has the moments they're not proud of. Everyone struggles sometimes, it's part of being human. I'm not the only person to have ever felt this experience. I'm not the only person to have ever struggled. I'm not the only person to have ever failed at something. This is a shared human experience. No one gets it right all the time. That's not to say that I can't try and do better next time or try and improve myself. But in this moment, I'm going to give myself compassion and kindness and acceptance that I'm just a real human being in the world.
Speaker 3: And I can imagine, like even with this first step, like that would take time, right because we're changing patterning and how we've been talking to ourself for I don't know, twenty thirty forty years.
Speaker 4: Right, Absolutely, it takes time. If we're you still launching in automatically with the harshness and the self criticism, stepping back and going, you know what, I'm gonna just be kind and accepting towards myself right now that takes time.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, It's like we're building our own self trust as well in that because for so long we've been speaking another language, and all of a sudden, you're speaking a new language.
Speaker 1: And we're like, wait, what, yes, might being so nice to me?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean? Exactly? It feels different?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so that's number one reframe. What about number two?
Speaker 4: Okay. Another strategy you can try if you find yourself bogged down in the inner critic is ask yourself the question, how would I speak to a friend in this situation. If it was my friend who came and told me that she was really disappointed in herself because she applied for a job and she didn't get it and she was really hoping she did, and she just felt crap about herself and like she wasn't good enough. Would I sit there and go, oh, yeah, you know what, does sound like you're a bit crap? Actually, maybe you just weren't good enough for the job, right. No, we wouldn't say that to someone else. We would meet them with kindness and compassion. We would try to be non judgmental about the situation. But often what we say to ourselves is so much meaner than what we would say to other people. So if you're struggling with your inner critic being really loud and really tough on you ask yourself the question, what would I say to someone else in the same situation as me?
Speaker 3: I feel like I've loved that because us having a different perspective really can shift it. Because you know, if a friend was to say, oh, like, you're a crap person.
Speaker 1: Like, we wouldn't be friends with them anymore.
Speaker 3: But the reality is we're stuck with ourselves for the rest of our lives. Yes, and we should be empowered by that, right, Yes.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, absolutely. We want to give ourselves doses of reality. Sure, but we don't want to be excessively mean and harsh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everything in moderation. Balance, as you say.
Speaker 4: Balance is key.
Speaker 3: Yes, Okay, So now how about number three?
Speaker 4: Okay, this leads us nicely on to the third one. If you've tried the reframe and you've tried to think about what you tell a friend and it's not working, I want you to name your inner critic. Now you mentioned good old Luke.
Speaker 1: Luke, we go way back, Luke Luke.
Speaker 4: I'd call my inner critic Frank. Why they're men? Something will unpack another time.
Speaker 1: That's another episode.
Speaker 4: But name the inner critic now, now, why do we do this? Okay? Our sense of self is built up in parts. Okay, we have the part of us that is the confident self that rocks up and goes to work and can connect with other people. We have a really confident part of ourself. We have the feelings part to ourself, the part that feels vulnerable, the part that feels lonely sometimes, the part that feels self conscious. We have a part of ourselves that might be the part that can detach from things. Right, we have all these different parts. We can have all sorts of parts, but we all have this part of us that is the inner critic. Now, when the inner critic comes to the forefront and it speaks to us, it's like we are consumed by that experience. Right, We don't necessarily identify it as simply one part of who we are. So by naming the inner critic, what we're essentially doing is providing a little bit of operation from me to the inner critic. It's there, yep. I'm not trying to get rid of it completely. I'm just identifying it as one part of my internal experience, but it's not all of my experience. Not everything it says is true and I have to believe it right, It's just one part. So naming the inner critic can be helpful to give us that space and distance from it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like with my relationship with Luke, it's very layered. But you know, I've learned to love Luke as well. I mean I go through different seasons, like definitely there's times.
Speaker 1: Where I get.
Speaker 3: Scared of Luke or like I love Luke, or I don't want to listen to Luke. Like it really does change.
Speaker 4: Yes, I love Luke and look, listeners out there, if you're struggling to come up with a name for your inner critic. While I was having my coffee this morning, I did a little bit of a quick AI and I asked, AI, can you like give me some example names for what we might be able to call out in a critic? And I've got to share these with you. Some of them are kind of funny.
Speaker 1: AI, SA, this is great.
Speaker 4: So we got Luke, we got Frank Mins Frank. But here's what AI gave us, Captain Nitpick. What imagine next time your in a critic comes up? You're like, oh, there's Captain Nitpick. Okay, another one. I like this one. Grumble gasoo alliteration, grumble gas is in the house. Yep, mister sassy pants, the Judge mcjudgson. Oh my god, negative ned or negative Nancy right, whiney wonder Now these are laughable, right. But I also think that bringing humor into this conversation is helpful because next time your in a critic comes up and it says, mayor mayor mayor, what a terrible person you were. You didn't text your friend because you forgot it was their birthday, and you go, oh, there's Judge mcjudgson again, give me a hard time. It provides that distance and that space and that lightness to otherwise would have been a moment that we get super bogged down in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I definitely feel like joy can really lift lift it.
Speaker 1: All up again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, bit of space and distance between that mean part of us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 4: The fourth thing I'd recommend people try is a compassionate letter. Right, we're going to write a letter to ourselves that is kind and compassionate. Now, I recommend if people want to give this a go, you do it when you're not in the thick of the inner critic. Right, if you feel like you're having a calm evening, you're feeling like you're in a good place, like you connected with yourself, sit down and try to write yourself a letter and channel the part of you that is kind, that is forgiving, that is accepting, that has some wisdom, but that's ultimately empathetic and compassionate, the part of you that can acknowledge that imperfection is part of the human experience. And what I want you to do is write a letter to yourself giving yourself kindness and love and forgiveness and compassion. So literally, dear whatever your name is, and then write what comes to mind. Don't be too structured, don't be too formal. Doesn't matter about accuracies. This is a letter that's designed to channel an emotion. It's meant to be in emotive experience. Many times when I get my clients to do this, they will say that while they wrote it, they actually cried, they felt something, And that's what we want. We want to change that internal emotional experience from being one of harshness to one of compassion. So if you write this letter, see how you feel as you write it, and then if you feel brave enough and if you've got someone in your life you can share it with, I would encourage you find a close, safe friend and actually read it out loud to them. The experience of saying this out loud in front of someone else gives it this other layer of emotion that we can tap into. So again, when I do this with my clients, I encourage them to go away and write it as homework and then bring it back into the therapy room and read it out loud to me, and sometimes we're both in tears. I'm not gonna lie, right. It's quite an emotional experience, particularly for people who have just been stuck in that harshness and that self criticism for so long. So if you feel brave, give the letter writing a go.
Speaker 3: Oh. I love that, and I really love that as an activity. I get my clients to do that too, And it is so profound because I feel like so much gets stuck inside of us. And I feel like even when I did workshops of teenage girls, they would be writing til the cows come home, like they're writing pages, because there's so much that comes out when we're just in a space of just stillness. So if we follow all of these techniques that you've given us, what happens, Like, what are the actual benefits from it?
Speaker 4: The benefit is that overall we build that muscle of self compassion. And what we know is that having a strong capacity for self compassion means that we're more resilience against potentially developing depression. We have greater sense of self worth, we have quite a stable sense of identity. We can be more appreciative and kind to ourselves in relation to body image like we were talking about before, more sort of accepting and satisfied with our bodies. We also develop higher levels of emotional intelligence, so that capacity for me to be able to know what my emotions are telling me, but also work with other people's emotional states as well. Building self compassion helps us be more resilient when we're faced with life's hardships and challenges, and it helps us build that sort of grit and resilience and determination for us to be able to get through tough times in life.
Speaker 3: After this shopbreak, I'm going to meet Sam and he's very loud in a critic stay with us, berb hereb Bibby.
Speaker 4: I'm having a serious Christian berb having a crisis.
Speaker 3: We had so many people share their inner critic dilemmas with us. It's such a common experience, Anastasia.
Speaker 1: This is Sam.
Speaker 5: I feel like I'm constantly walking on eggshells with how I communicate with friends. I try and be lighthearted and funny, but sometimes my jokes miss the mark, or worse, they offend someone, and I'm left wondering if I accidentally hurt their feelings. At work, it's a different kind of pressure. I'm naturally casual and conversational, but I worry that I come across as too informal or unprofessional, especially in meetings or over email. The hardest part is laying awake at night replaying everything I said, cringing at things I thought sounded stupid or inappropriate, and spiraling into overthinking what should I do to stop this?
Speaker 4: Oh, Sam, this sounds like hard work for you, buddy, I'm siren.
Speaker 3: Staying up at night thinking about it. Oh so relatable.
Speaker 4: So one thing Sam might want to do, and anyone who can relate to Sam's experience is go back to episode one and listen to us talking about getting into worry spirals, because it feels like there's some elements of worry coming into this experience, laying awake at night overthinking things. The other thing I'd say is that it sounds like you're in a critic definitely is coming to the forefront and making you question yourself a lot. Now, if someone walked into the therapy room and they said to me, I think I say some weird things at work, or I make some jokes and they don't quite land, or maybe I made a joke and someone didn't quite like it, or I said something weird, I would say, in the nicest way possible, with all the love I have, so what, And that's not meant to be judgment. I'm not like so what? Right, it's like so what? So what feels so bad about that? The thing is, most of the time we think about ourselves more than anyone else thinks about us. Right, So I would be quite skeptical as to whether your work colleagues or your friends are going home and thinking about you as much as you're thinking about you in those moments. Right. We all say things that we think they're funny and then turns out they're not sometimes, right, Shani, And I'll probably do that at points in this podcast, where we make jokes that no one else thinks is funny, it'll happen. That's part of being human. I accept that I'll make jokes that are not funny. We make mistakes, we say things we don't always mean right. So that's why I bring this question of what's so bad about that? Maybe it feels really bad when we give ourselves a hard time about it, But in the grand scheme of life, that one joke that didn't land is one spec in time and in two days, two weeks, two months, two years.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think a lot of us will be writing self compassion letters tonight. Ata Stagiak, we covered a lot of ground today. Can you give us a recut?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? First up, we all have an inner critic. It's normal and it's natural for it to exist. Second, some people have an inner critic that is louder and meaner than other people's. Third, we can tame our inner critic through self compassion. Fourth, self compassion requires us to acknowledge that our mistakes and disappointments are all part of the human experience. No one else is perfect and neither are we. And lastly, self compassion can be harnessed by treating ourselves with the same kindness and understanding that we would approach a friend with. Now next week, we are diving into a topic that is very close to my heart. The biggest misconceptions and mistakes people make the.
Speaker 1: Therapy I cannot wait.
Speaker 3: If you have a burning question, there are a few ways to get in touch with us.
Speaker 1: Links are in the show notes.
Speaker 4: And remember, while I am a psychologist, this podcast isn't a diagnostic tool, and the advice and ideas we present here should always take into account your personal history. The executive producer of But Are You Happy is Niama Brown.
Speaker 3: Tarlie Blackman is our senior producer.
Speaker 4: Sound design and editing by Jacob Brown.
Speaker 1: I'm a Shani Dante and.
Speaker 4: I'm doctor Anastasia Heronis. The names and stories of clients discussed have been changed for the purpose of maintaining anonymity. If this conversation brought up any difficult feelings for you, we have links for more resources in the show notes around the topics we discussed today. You can also reach out to organizations like Beyond Blue or Lifeline if you're wanting more immediate support. Thanks for listening, Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters that this podcast is recorded on.