Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to mom, and we are out loud. It's what women are actually talking about on Wednesday August. I'm Holly Wayne right, I'm Amelia Last, and I'm ever And here's what's on our agenda for today. There's one oussie man who has been everywhere we look this week, and people have plenty of thoughts about him. We are unpacking the Luke Bateman of it all.
Speaker 2: Plus the case for not answering every email.
Speaker 3: And young people have rebranded weddings and non young people are very confused.
Speaker 1: But First and Vernon, in case you missed it.
Speaker 3: Jest have made some big changes to their baggage policy. So starting next year, customers will need to pay upwards of twenty five dollars to put their bags in the overhead locker space that has been traditionally been free. So this isn't a first like this has been happening all over Europe for some time with smaller airlines like Ryan Air an EasyJet. My question is, is this late stage capitalism? Why am I paying money for taking my bag on a plane?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 1: So Jet Star say and this and the other airlines say that part of this is our fault. They like to blame us for this, and it is true when you look at the behavior in the line and to get on a plane, that's true. No one wants to check anything in anymore, like it didn't used to be like that, Like we used to check things in, but now if you think about it, you know influencers are like, I can travel around Europe for three months with this tiny carry on bag and you know packing cubes will save you from check in. No one wants to check in at all, and so everybody's trying to carry their three months worth of clothes in something that they can squish into the overhead locker.
Speaker 2: I also think that Australians don't know how to use the overhead lockers or tell me I'm dropping a truth bomb here. This is like when Claire said Australians don't like sport. They don't understand how to put their suitcases in. You mean how so they're putting them in both horizontally and vertically. The suitcase needs to be stacked on its.
Speaker 1: Side so that you can put it on the side with the wheels to the.
Speaker 2: Wa correct And I'm just not seeing this happen. I've never seen that happen. No it's not routine here. It needs to become routine. And the other thing that I'm seeing that Australians need to stop doing is they put stuff up up in the overhead that is not a suitcase. I'm sorry, Like, it's great for you that you packed a backpack. Backpack goes under your seat.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what the airline say.
Speaker 2: Agree.
Speaker 3: So what has been happening with a lot of airlines recently has been people bringing in their carry on luggage the airline going, oh my god, there's not going to be enough space on this plane for the carry on luggage. Let's start weighing the luggage and then if your luggage is over a settin limit, you have to pay naughty naughty.
Speaker 1: So, and I fly a bit for work, like quick flights, so I love a carry on, And I was thinking, why do I love a carry on? Why am I so afraid of checking in? And for me, it's not the other end. It's when I get to the airport, like I have anxiety about like being like not having enough time. So I love just being able to walk straight through security, right, So that's my thing. But once I get inside, I get really tense about whether or not there's going to be room for my carry on. Yes, so you have to get to the gate really early, be one of those idiots who's standing in line really early. All those things anyway, So I think the idea is is they want to do away with all the idiots like me and be like, check your freaking bag in or pay some money.
Speaker 2: I actually kind of love it, to be honest, I think this She'll be right. Attitude has been extended to overhead luggage compartments for too long. We have to get serious about it in this country. It's a problem that we need to tackle, much like the housing crisis that we tackle the overhead compartment the.
Speaker 1: Overhead housing crisis.
Speaker 3: What does worry me about the future is I'm very similar. I get quite anxious when it comes to taking my bag, mainly because I'm scared I won't be able to lift my bag and I'll fall over by putting it in. So I always always put my bag under my seat. It's always more not to put on a seat. I'm scared that people are going to start going that bag looks too big to be under your seat. You need to pay twenty five dollars to overhead.
Speaker 1: Because imagine, think about what we try and cram into the overhead lockers. Now we're going to be trying to cram that under the seat. I like they're going to be like sticking out across people like man spreading all the way across the three seat.
Speaker 2: I also think it's funny that they're just seeing how far they'll push this on stuff like did you see this was not a funny story. It was. It was a disturbing story, but the way the airline dealt with it was funny. There was a couple who flew Ryan Air to Greece, a European couple this summer, a husband and wife, and on their way back home from Greece, they were on this Ryan Air flight and the window opened and this man got half sucked the flight. He's fine now, But do you know what the airline did to say sorry? What they offered him a flight voucher to rebook that leg as a flight that's not really going to do it right now is this.
Speaker 4: Leg from the inside of the plane.
Speaker 2: I've already gotten home now, and thankfully I'm fine. I don't want to fly with you again on this particular leg.
Speaker 1: He probably got home on a boat are you getting on a plane after that happens. One man has been all over the Australian media this week. Some of us have been aware of him for a while. In fact, we did talk about him on out Loud before, and we're going to get to why we talked about him on out Loud before. But plenty of people have plenty of opinions about him, and I wanted to unpack some of the Luke Bateman nos. I don't think you're very familiar.
Speaker 2: With him, why people have opinions. He seems like a really great guy to me, so I'm excited to hear the n wance.
Speaker 1: No, he is a really well I think so too. I think he is also a really great guy. I think in a world where we need more positive male role models, I'm very much on the Luke Bateman train. Em has her own reasons, which we'll get you.
Speaker 4: To that later.
Speaker 1: The reason you've seen him around this week is that he he has been telling the story of his own gambling addiction, which also led to drugs and alcohol addiction, either on ABC's Australian Story him talking about that, or at the Senate Inquiry into gambling ads in Canberra. Now his testimony there was really moving and important. The Quickie today is all about that, so I'm not going to talk about that too much, but suffice to say that when he was a footballer, because he played NRL for the Camber Raiders for a long time, he said gambling was like breathing. It was just like everybody did it all the time. On his eighteenth birthday, because he was playing football at quite a high level from his young teens, he was taken to a casino to celebrate his eighteenth birthday by his teammates and then from there his addiction took off. But I want to give a bit of background into him because I think he is so interesting in terms of why I think he's so compelling to everybody. Right, he grew up in a small town in western Queensland, mad footballer from a very young age, but also a mad reader, and those two things are not something that we see paired up a lot in that hyper masculine culture, as he calls it.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: He is about loving books from a young age and how he had to kind of turn away from them when he was playing footy.
Speaker 5: Whenever I tell him in my bookcase, people all they said, books but for me, this is a journey through my entire life. When I was younger, I didn't feel comfortable talking about my love of reading. I was always very secretive and felt quite a lot of shame around my love of reading because it was not something that men did, especially not fantasy.
Speaker 6: It wouldn't surprise me if Luke felt that he had died. But from the footy scene or the footy culture, there are a lot of unspoken rules about how you're supposed.
Speaker 4: To portray yourself.
Speaker 6: And I guess reading books was kind of marked as like feminine.
Speaker 5: Because I was around boys all the time. I would never ever pull my books out I wanted to read, I would lock myself in a toilet.
Speaker 1: Isn't that interesting?
Speaker 2: Yes? And who's that woman who's to do?
Speaker 1: That's one of his friends who's interviewed on Australian Story. But I find that so fascinating because if you're parenting boys, which obviously I have been I am I have been doing for some time now, for fourteen years, there's a lot of angst around about boys and reading. Right, We've talked about it a little bit, and I think you've talked about it on parenting. How that there's a lot of angs around about boys and reading, and it's really interesting to hear it spelled out so plainly, like he's a little boy who says he loved reading from an early age, loved reading fantasy, but he quickly realized it was like something he had to hide and do in secret.
Speaker 2: It is really interesting. It reminds me that my dad loves reading, like it's probably his greatest passion in life, apart from his children, obviously, and he always wanted to start a book club. And we're talking in retirement, and just men don't want to be in a book club. They don't want to sort of vocal out loud that they like reading and that they want to talk about books. And it's sad that even a sort of immaturity because their luke is talking about being a child and ashamed of it. But I think that that stigma around men and reading sadly continues through life.
Speaker 3: And so many of them genuinely enjoy it. I have a friend who's in his late twenties who's just taken up reading for the first time, and when he was explaining how he had just not read until like unless he was in school, like back in the day, he said, it's because like boys weren't actually taught how to read.
Speaker 4: And I don't mean.
Speaker 3: Physically how to read, but the culture of reading, Like they don't talk about books. I don't know when to grab a book, they don't know how to find books or how to find what they enjoy reading. And he's like, there's this whole part of reading that we just never enjoyed because we never taught how to enjoy it.
Speaker 2: That's so true. If you go into any bookshop, you know how bookshops these days a sort of half bookshop half gift shop. Yeah, and all of those gifts related to reading, the jigsaw puzz the novelty mugs, the calendars, you got, the Jane Austen ones, you got the romanticy ones. But there's not a lot of like book related stuff that's masculine coded.
Speaker 3: So when I found Luke Bateman, it was about I think it was a few years ago now. He was on TikTok And this was when I started getting into romanticy, Like I was reading the Akatar series, I was reading the Fourth Wing series and had big romanty novels and I've become so so famous, And it was this guy sitting in his tractor, This very attractive, muscly guy, rugged up sitting in his tractor holding an Akatar book and saying, I'm so excited to read this.
Speaker 1: So what led him to that? To the point where Emily discovers him. Right, So he has this football career, as he describes it, in a hyper masculine environment from a very young age. One of the he talks now, obviously about where that led him in terms of our coll abuse drug also how he sought and was treating women during that time. He's very honest about it, which I also really respect. So rather than pretending that he's always been this really enlightened guy who sort of understood all the codes that a man in twenty twenty six shoot, he doesn't say that. He says that he cheated on a lot of girlfriends. He thinks he has a lot of internalized misogyny from those years when his life fell apart. So the addiction issues and the gambling got to the point that he was actually thinking of taking his own life. In an Australian story, he talks about this night that his mother had to spend on the phone with him all night, talking him literally off a ledge. He went, he pulled out of all of that world, went to rehab, went to therapy, and moved back to the country. So his mum and his stepdad were like, we'll pay off your debts and help you out of this, but you have to come and work for your stepdad in this timber business way out in the middle of nowhere, in outback queens right farm. So he's living in a little shed there and he's back in his love of reading. Yeah, he has no Internet connection because of the gambling addiction, but when he gets one, the man makes a TikTok. This is where you see him started. His fame comes really quickly. Now somewhere in between this he does also appear on The Bachelor, so there. So he obviously has an interest in like probably his charisma is kind of undeniable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially in his TikTok's. When I first saw his first TikTok, I think it only had like around three thousand views, which in TikTok language is not a lot of views. And then I saw a second TikTok and it was in the millions.
Speaker 1: He says he got on there, started talking about books he couldn't believe it.
Speaker 4: It just went.
Speaker 1: And this talks to the fact that women love men who read. We talked about that before. All his followers are all women. All of his comments are all women, and it's women who are like thirsting over him, who are obsessed, as well as women who are just genuinely intrigued. And he has to say about their favorite books. And he just got the like it feels like two separate audiences that he's just got together. Does he have a partner at the moment, Not that he's publicly disclosing.
Speaker 2: So he did go on.
Speaker 4: I did see him on Bumble a year ago.
Speaker 1: He did not match with me, and that's why you have tension with him.
Speaker 4: And we both like romanticy just saying just putting out there, look.
Speaker 1: Okays like when Travis put out there on the New Heights podcast about Taylor, all right.
Speaker 2: She's.
Speaker 1: Luke, Well you did anyway. So he becomes, as we say, like a bit of a thirst trap, but also very sort of embraced by the BookTalk community. Then he gets a book deal. Here's a little grap about what happened then book Talk.
Speaker 5: I just wanted to share some incredible news with you all. I've just signed a two book deal with Atriar. So when I first announced my book deal, it receives a heap of criticism and backlash.
Speaker 3: You stepped on a lot of people's next to get a two book deal, and some people just get the silver spoon.
Speaker 2: Man was just handed a publishing deal basically because his weight, he's hot, and he has a strong book type platform. Boom, here's a publishing deal.
Speaker 6: It's quite rare in my experience to receive that kind of attention for a fantasy novel of four things.
Speaker 5: This is a childhood dream come true for me. What really upset me about it was that I'd spent thirty years in my life loving books, loving reading, loving writings, and then I'd finally join this community where I felt like, oh, I'm home, just where I belong, and then all of a sudden, that community turned on me.
Speaker 1: So the voices you heard in that clip were from two book talkers, authors of color, questioning whether Luke Bateman would have got this deal if he hadn't been a white man. You also heard from his publisher sort of defending why he got his deal and the reaction to it. Part of what you've got to understand about this and obviously I'm in this industry. Is book deals are incredibly hard to get. I don't know if that's something you have to spell out, but like a lot of people spend their entire life dreaming of getting a book deal, submitting manuscripts, approaching agents, like trying try and trying to break into this very difficult world. There is a model of scarcity in publishing, no question. And I also have to say that it is not unusual for people with big social media followings of all kinds to get a leg up and an open and a door open into that world before anyone else.
Speaker 3: I think it felt for the book talk community who are avid readers.
Speaker 4: I think it felt a bit of like a betrayal.
Speaker 3: Like this beautiful man says that he loves Roman to See and he's getting the word out there. Maybe he's going to convince his friends to also read Roman to See. Because for a long time Roman to See a lot of people coined it as like very smart, and it was seen as something you should be embarrassed about, something that you should like turn away from, that you should don't want to be reading out in public. And then we have this guy who's like the epitome of what looks like privilege reading these books, like from so many women who felt like they should have been embarrassed to read these books, going these books are very cool. He comes out with a book deal, and then where all like was this his plan all along was to just pretend to like these books, get this massive audience because he knows he's very good looking and he's a beautiful voice. And then he's just making money off of this book deal.
Speaker 1: So if you take him at face value from his content and his Australian story, and from what he's doing now in terms of his advocacy work, I would be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt as obviously a lot of the industry is doing, which is that his love of books is reading. It's not he didn't wake up one day. I mean, maybe we may well be proved wrong on that, but he didn't just wake up one day in his cabin in the woods and go I'm going to become a massive you know, you know, a quick way to get famous would be to be a BookTok influencer. However, there is no question that that world like a very maskie you know, footballer guy with the gruff voice and all those things. Stepping into that world has a lot of it's very different, it's very different from what else is out there, and so it was very clever marketing for him to do that. Whether where however it came about. I haven't heard about what the book is like, but as he says, and what is published to say, it's real people don't publish. I'm sure there'll be people shouting at my phone and saying that's not true. Publishers aren't going to publish Trash because it's got Luke Bateman's name on it, because they also know that the scrutiny on this is going to be huge, So would be really interesting to see where it goes. He now is often at literary events. But one of the things I think about Bateman is that, aside almost I'm really impressed with how he walks his talk in terms of speaking out about domestic violence around sport, because so few do, like really really so few football as men from within that culture do. Lots of the rest of us do talk about it all the time, talk about you know, domestic violence spiking during state of origin, talking about the culture needing to shift, talking about the different standards for footballers than other professionals when it comes to being on different kinds of violence charges. But he does, and I find that really encouraging.
Speaker 2: I agree. And also gambling. There are a lot of people who in this country who make a lot of money off gambling, and I think it's brave of him to speak up to that industry when I'm sure probably it means him turning down money from that industry.
Speaker 1: And getting a lot of criticism I think from in his old world. Notably on the Australian story, the Canberra Raiders, his former team, didn't want to talk. I'm sure that he has lost some friends in that world. Let's say, did they interview any of his former teammates. They interviewed his former like flatmate kind of, but no, the footballing world were noticeably absent. So I think I think he's a really interesting character. I really want to celebrate different versions of masculinity and also versions of masculinity that kind of overlap. That's saying you can be a little boy and love football and fantasy books like of course you can, you know, like of course you can do.
Speaker 4: We think that's his real voice.
Speaker 2: Oh, I have my hopes, Wait, what do you mean?
Speaker 1: You mean like he's Nara Smith, like he puts on the voice from again. He would have that voice wowing.
Speaker 2: The big issues.
Speaker 1: As I say, the QUICKI today is all about that gambling ad reform Senate inquiry. It's really interesting, really harrowing listening actually in part, but Luke Bateman's testimony is in there in.
Speaker 2: A moment a check in on email? Is it time to get rid of the inbox zero dream? Look, I'm sure it's just a coincidence. But Donald Trump has just won his fortieth golf tournaments.
Speaker 4: Congratulations, really really good.
Speaker 2: Really good at golf, as Usay Today put it. President Donald Trump celebrated another golf win over the weekend, the latest in a long line of nearly unbelievable championship so in a characteristically modest, humble, self deprecating social media message after his shock win, Trump wrote, Unlike the rest of the field, I'm given very little time to practice because I'm focused on many other things. It's called talent, and I have it, and they don't. Well, said Donald there is it turns out an entire book about how Donald Trump cheats at golf. It's called Commander In Cheat, which I actually love as a title.
Speaker 4: Written by Luke Bateman.
Speaker 2: The author says that whenever Trump opens a new golf clause, because he has them all over the world, he plays the first club championship by himself, and then he declares himself to be the champion and he puts his name on the wall.
Speaker 3: This is exactly what I would do if I was president. That is my first move is declare myself champion of something and then forever be that champion.
Speaker 2: Funnily enough, when he's president, they've they've done the maths on this. Twenty two percent of days he's been president in the second term, he's been playing golf, which is like a pretty good figure. Like if I have if I spent twenty two percent of my days going to polarates, I think I'd think I was pretty fit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the bit of pallarateis he is.
Speaker 2: Just really good at golf. What do you think am.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, he's definitely really good at golf. I also know that because he's been playing by himself, I think he just has like Milania there to keep them company. So I think if there are other people who join him to play, what I think happens is that she slips them like a note and just goes it's in your best interest to lose, don't care.
Speaker 1: Don't you think that people let him win one?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely? I mean apparently he also just like there's all these stories. Like one of the stories is he didn't play the first day of a particular golf championship. Editor's note, I don't not understand how golf works. It seems to be a multi day situation. So then he just simply made up a perfect score for the first day when he arrived on the second day. Just little things like that. Nice. It's called talent.
Speaker 4: Yes, I agreed.
Speaker 2: Did email change or did we? Email has turned forty and it's in the throes of an identity crisis.
Speaker 4: Happy birthday email, Happy birthday email.
Speaker 2: In the mid aughts, everyone I know aspired to inbox zero. I'm sure you remember that. But there's now this sense that, now that he is getting a little bit, a little bit older, a little bit wiser, there's a sense that that inbox zero idea was too prescriptive two one size fits all, And with the amount of email everyone's getting these days, it also just feels like trying to stop the rain from falling?
Speaker 1: Do you think that?
Speaker 2: So? Do you think that?
Speaker 1: In that inbox zero peak period, it was seen as being like, you've got your shit together, you're professional, you're organized, you get shit done.
Speaker 2: It's one of those like sort of habits that people think makes you inherently a better person. So it's like, you know, doing the cross word every Sunday, waking up with the dawn, things like that. But experts actually, interviewed for an article in the Canadian magazine The Walrus, they say that inbox zero there's no proof that it actually does make you more productive, or that it makes you a sort of more efficient worker. It's just one way of managing your inbox, and actually an increasingly unsustainable way of managing your inbox. Are you an inbox zero? I sort of before have we met? What is your number? What's your red bubble? No?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I should have checked that before I came in here. How money is it?
Speaker 3: My work email is thirty seven thousand stop unread emails, and I think my personal.
Speaker 4: Is like one hundred and two thousand.
Speaker 2: Well, Luke Bateman's email could be in there and you wouldn't even know.
Speaker 1: See, here's the problem. With email is that it's slipped down in certainly in my world, it has slipped down the list of priority communication. So email is the least urgent form of communication to me. In a world where I've got slack, I've got WhatsApp, I've got text, I've got DMS in my Instagram and stuff. Email comes way below all of those for urgency. And one of the reasons for it is that word that we like to use, that the inidification of everything and the inertification of email has mostly been about marketing, because at least ninety nine percent of the emails in my inbox are not important even a little bit. They are press releases, no offense prs, but they are press releases. They are marketing emails. They are newsletters that I may have subscribed to, and I like it. Of course. It's a great way to get writing straight to your inbox.
Speaker 2: The Royalist alone, one of our favorite newsletters, I think, has been sending me like two emails a day view last week.
Speaker 1: It goes hard and you know, we have an email mom mirror out loud and it's full of goodness. But like if you subscribe to quite a few of those, so they're already in there. They're great, but they're not urgent, you know what I mean. So it is a it's a job I'll get to email, whereas a text is I need to know.
Speaker 2: Now, Okay, Devil's advocate for email, though email advocate if you will. Don't you think email? I hear all that, and I agree with that, and I do think email has become and shit of fied. But don't you think that the upside to email is greater than any of those other channels? Tell me how emails can change your life? Text messages not so much. Tell me how some examples, Like I remember one time when I was single, I got an email from someone who I'd always liked from Afar and he said, do you want to come to a dance performance this Friday?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Now it turns out that he was a horrible person, but that was an exciting email ticket. He was just like, hey heard your single too, want to come to this dance before?
Speaker 1: And was that email because he didn't have your phone on exactly?
Speaker 2: Because we didn't know each other that well. Or here's another example. One time I got an email from someone who said, want to come to Taylor Swift nineteen eighty nine tour in Philadelphia because I'm a fan of your work.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, yeah, it's just like you never know with email because it's easier to get somebody's email, and obviously you can get someone's on Instagram handle, but if you're not on social then like it's much easier to get an email than a phone number. But Hi, so you're inbox zero? Correct I am? And have you always been?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Is it a point of pride.
Speaker 2: No, it's not a point of pride. It's just simply the way that I work. And you know this is sort of the hackneyeded vice. It's an in box zero. But basically, I don't open an email unless I know I have time to respond to the email or to act on the email. And if I still want to see what it says but don't know I don't have time to respond, then I'll simply market is unread. Yes, once I've read.
Speaker 1: It, So I need to know. Then your magic ability to not give your email address out to because my problem is every time I buy something, whether it's online or no no ondress, So what do you say, no company?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 1: When you're the counter at cocknot or whatever and you've bought a thing and they say, oh yeah, because.
Speaker 2: It also I act like I'm like the Bourne identicell me, what can we just get your email? And then I just say no, and I just let it hang in the air.
Speaker 1: What happens when you do that?
Speaker 2: Can I'm slightly awkward for about five seconds and then they're like, Okay, here's your receipt because you know, they also offer to email the receipt, which is witchcraft. Never let them email the receipt.
Speaker 1: This is what I need. It's that, it's the willingness to be like, have that on and do that because you don't like confront I'm terrible, it's.
Speaker 4: Right styles like you gave emy like it's pathetic.
Speaker 1: Amelia, You're correct, it's not a conference should not be a confrontation.
Speaker 2: I just don't want them to have my email. And also, you know when you get like those things where it's like twenty percent off, if you give me your email, I'll sign up and then immediately unsubscribe. That is part of the whole thing. Because I'm happy for people to have my email. I don't want companies to.
Speaker 3: Have unsubscribe that I need to get better at unrelated A really good use of email is if you're dating someone and you want to know if they really like you, you block them on everything and then they'll email you. And if they email you, that means they really like you, but they don't.
Speaker 1: They think she's blocked met specifics like a very hard they would go above and be on for the right person who to jump through. That's the same good because the thing is is back to when certification. The whole giving everyone your email thing has also made shopping worse because when you go and shop in real life, it takes five minutes to buy every thing because you've got to do phone number, email, date.
Speaker 4: Of birth and.
Speaker 2: You don't need to just make like Jason Bourne and run out a start from this article, that really made me understand why email has gotten so out of control is that the average worker gets an email or a ping, it could be any kind of notification every two minutes, but it takes twenty three minutes after that interruption to revert to the level of focus you were at beforehand. So the maths is not mathsing.
Speaker 1: I have one more question for you, email guru. Do you group your email time like as in over a course of a workday, You've got lots of tag Yes, do you do that?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Do you? Literally, because it used to be in peak email time. I remember if you would email someone and they'd respond straight away, everyone'd be like, Wow, she's so good at a job. She responds straight away. But actually that means you're constantly being pulled away from what you're doing. So what's your tactic for that.
Speaker 2: I'm just constantly getting pulled away from what I'm doing.
Speaker 4: I wonder is because you don't.
Speaker 3: Have Instagram, so our Instagram time is your email time.
Speaker 2: I'm maybe someone will in brote me into a concert that's sold out. Look. One tip from this from this article for you non inbox zero people. It says take an email vacation, write and order. That says, I am taking the morning away from email to focus on deep work for the day.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's someone a productivity expert I know, and her email at the end says I, she'll know this. I'm talking about her high mount It says, I am a lark who likes to do my best work in the morning or whatever, So I will likely respond to your email at some hellish hour. Do not feel the pressure to respond. I'm like, I didn't feel any pressure to pressure. I forgot, but I really appreciate the information.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I can't continue this episode until I know how many emails you actually have languishing unread in your inbox.
Speaker 1: Holly, I don't know, Darling. Sorry, I know I have four hundred and ninety two unread text messages.
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ wait, text messages.
Speaker 1: And I just said that that were those with the messages. I answer, I have four hundred and ninety two unread text messages for sure.
Speaker 4: And you'll get to them later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not important.
Speaker 2: If it was important, they text.
Speaker 3: Me after the break. The weddings that are getting a rebrand, so L published an article called is the Death of the Millennial Wedding Culture upon Us? In the article, the author talks about her parents' wedding that took place in the seventies, and she said the entire sabang, like all of the like the dresses, the cake, the venue, everything came to less than five thousand dollars, so compared to millennial weddings, which maybe the wedding dress alone could be five thousand dollars. She now has a theory that jen Z are going back to that place where people under thirty who are getting married are completely removing themselves from the big, glamorous wedding celebration and are instead opting for more private and cheaper ceremony options. Do we think this signifies the death of the millennial wedding? Because I am going to a wedding in a few months, and this is my first very small wedding where I'm in very close relations to this person, but I'm not going to the ceremony, and no one I know is going to the ceremony. We're just going to like a big dinner afterwards. So she and I'm very into it.
Speaker 4: I love this.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of my older relatives are also into it, but a bit confused on why it's happening.
Speaker 1: How big the dinner.
Speaker 3: The dinner I think is like I want to say, maximum seventy people.
Speaker 1: So they're having no one at the ceremony except presumably immediate family, and then seventy people at a dinner at a restaurant. And that's the wedding.
Speaker 4: Yes, And it's also in like.
Speaker 3: Midweek wedding, oh midweek yeah, wow, Okay, there's only one millennial at this table who.
Speaker 2: Had a wedding. Tell us look, I want to pour one out to the many facets of the millennial wedding. So I've made something called millennial wedding bingo. Yes, you can play along at home. Okay some of these look some of these are taken from my millennial wedding. So understand that I am not I am not looking down on these. These exactly. These are just like what made a millennial wedding. Mason jars with like fairy lights and them flowers. What do you do with like sprigs of lavender? Yeah, Edison lights like the ones that like look like you're in a factory.
Speaker 1: I did all this for a birthday party recently. Lavender in little jazz.
Speaker 2: And Edison lights.
Speaker 1: Photo Millennial pride photo photo.
Speaker 2: Boots with props like a big mustache or like a top pat, a social hashtag signature cocktails for each partner in the couple, very big alf written vows. A cake alternative like doughnuts or cupcakes. Tea first looks you know where the where the bride. A key part of a millennial wedding culture is. Your costume is not my culture, by the way, but this is what it is. The groom is like standing in a field away from the Edison lights and the Mason jars. The bride approaches him, she taps him on the shoulder. He looks around, he looks at her dress. He says, you look incredible, and they embrace. And that's a photo. That's the first look photo.
Speaker 1: I thought that happened in the wedding. Yeah, okay, I don't understand.
Speaker 2: And then finally I feel like a tricked Actually, look at her. It's sage green. You gotta have something sage green and a millennial wedding.
Speaker 1: Okay, I need to know, Amelia, because in this article they wrote that what has killed the millennial wedding, which has killed all of that which we know is definitely part of it, is one Taylor Swift Travis.
Speaker 2: Kelcey absolutely look Taylor Swift and Travis Curlsey's wedding. If millennial wedding culture kicked off with Zoe Foster and Hamish Blake's twenty eleven wedding, that they then sold the photos to New Idea because so many of these, so many of these tropes began with that wedding. It culminated in Taylor Swift and Travis Kelsey's wedding, where the wedding vows were at least thirty minutes each. Reportedly, Tom Hanks fell asleep. You've seen that reporting, right, he fell asleep during the vows they were so long. And then the just Ampersante married bill boardouse Madison Square Garden. That was it. That was when the millennial wedding died.
Speaker 1: The writer of this lpiece agrees with you, Amelia, and I love that theory that there's an arc between our great our Australian Royalty Zoe and Hamish and the American royalty of them, like the excesses of Marie Antoinette and Louis the sixteenth before them. Swift and Kelsey's notual festivities feel to me like the swan song of a decadent era. I believe we are on the verge of a wedding revolution, like.
Speaker 3: That's what they're you know, when they got married and then the big screens outside Madison Square Garden said we're married, like just married, and so everyone knew. I think they should have put a disclaimer saying and no one else will.
Speaker 1: Ever be So we knew that that was the last wedding because Tom and the day signal that was the.
Speaker 2: Beginning of a new era of wedding.
Speaker 1: Wow, which is, don't even tell anyone it happened exactly. Maybe we're married, maybe we're not exactly, and like you'll never know because we're never going to show you the pictures.
Speaker 3: I feel really sad I missed this boat because, like, if I do eventually get married, I mean, it's like unschek to post my photos on Instagram?
Speaker 4: Do I have to be really slight?
Speaker 3: Do I have to come into the podcast studio with just my ring on and we all go, oh, nice ring.
Speaker 2: As long as you don't do Sage Green and Mason Jars, I think you're okay. I think, looking at why this happened the long millennial wedding era, I think it's a couple of things. Say Yes to the Dress was a seminal reality TV show for millennials. Crucially, millennial weddings coincided with the rise of Instagram and to a lesser extent, Pinterest, so you can basically track millennials getting married. It's a graph and like the rise of Instagram tracks directly onto the rise of millennials getting coming of age and getting married. And then there was also the twenty eleven movie Bridesmaids, which in my theory kind of like is Heralds the beginning of the millennial wedding age, like satirizing its excesses and saying like this is what it needs to make for a millennial wedding.
Speaker 1: Is this just about money, because the thing is is that obviously those weddings are incredibly expensive, and we live in a different financial era, and certainly gen Z is living in a different financial era, and they're probably less willing to go into debt for the pictures. Because what I noticed is we talked about the coolest people on the coolest wedding in the world, which is Gabrielle and Maddy Healy, which happened the weekend after or something Taylor and Travis's. Now Gabriette is posting the pictures of her wedding every week, just like any ordinary bride, Like she's getting her bites of her Instagram fame.
Speaker 4: They're very.
Speaker 1: Cool and avant garde wedding pictures. There's no first look there is, but it looks like somebody wants to bite somebody, and there's lots of like, you know, very gothic imagery. But she is definitely posting she wants everybody to see that because money isn't an issue for them. I wonder if do you think it's to do with money or do you think it's to do with privacy being the most We've talked about this a little bit on the show Privacy and being above the algorithm, being the most cool, prestigious thing you can be.
Speaker 3: Privacy has become cool, but I do think it's mostly about money. I've been to so many weddings, Like the minute I think I turned like twenty five, my whole life has just been weddings for the past five years. And there have been a few occasions where not really the wedding itself, but like the pre and post parties that everyone's done, and like they are much smaller, And I've noticed that I love my digitcam, like I take my digital camera everywhere, and I've noticed that I've just become like the photographer for those events because I think, like people really want photos and they really want to celebrate the day, but they can't always afford to do that, and I find that quite sad, like sometimes if you just want a wedding, you can't have it. I will say though, that it can also be a cultural thing. So if anyone wants a really big wedding marry into an Indian family, you will get it.
Speaker 4: I promise you.
Speaker 1: It will go for day to day out day. It will be amazing.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's just I think the money thing is part of it, because I do think Millennial's got carried away doing it for the ground. But if you consider that twenty eleven was only two years after a giant financial crisis, I'm not sure it's so much money as just how our particular generation, what a particular generation regards it is aspirational because think about how I don't know, I think everyone has this experience. You're growing up, you look at pictures of your parents' wedding or people in your family's wedding in a past time, and it looks totally alien to you. But that's just because everyone's such a reflection of the times they live in. No matter how timeless or elegant you think your wedding is, it's going to reflect the times you're in. There's one exception to that rule. One wedding will never date, and that's Caroline Bassett and JFK. Junior's wedding because those dress, that dress, that photo. It looks as fresh now as it did then. True.
Speaker 1: You know the people who are sad about the idea of big weddings going because there's no question that it's so. People often say it's lovely to be together for a good read like for a positive, happy reason. But I wonder, and I know I'm an infamous anti marriage advocate, but I wonder if we confuse the dopamine energy from that with just the dopamine energy of any big party. Because we just had that big party for Brent's Brent's birthday. As said, we did do the Edison Paul Springs. I did do the Spring. It was so joyful and so great because it is lovely to have all the people that you like in a room and dance around and have the g Yeah and so, but maybe they don't have to be weddings. Maybe they could just be a rain.
Speaker 2: There's something special about weddings.
Speaker 1: Out louders. Whether you had a big, fat millennial wedding or not, you might be one of the people who gets a gift this week. Hey, you like my were done, because we are about to announce the winner of our book giveaway. We've been telling you about it. We all chose two books. You've probably got them committed to memory now we've talked about it so much. We all chose two books, and one lucky subscriber wins them all. It ends tonight, and that means that if you want to be in with a chance of winning twelve amazing books, you need to subscribe to Mama Mere today. If you are subscribed to Mamma Mia, you're already in. You don't need to worry.
Speaker 4: Good luck everyone.
Speaker 1: It's a low key wed You could win them and give them to your friend as a wedding. Hey, there's a question. Do you have to bring a gift to a low key gen z we're just having dinner on a Wednesday night wedding?
Speaker 4: Ah yeah, dab it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, we've got you sorted with this. We'll put a link in the show notes to tell you how to subscribe and be one of the winners of the Amazing Book Stack. Otherwise, goodbye, friends, We'll see you on Friday.
Speaker 2: Bye bye.
Speaker 1: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we've recorded this podcast