Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mom with mea podcast.
Speaker 2: Whoever said orange is a new pink with seriously disturbed.
Speaker 1: Laurels for spraying groundbreaking? Oh my god, you have to do it. You live for fashion.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Nothing to Wear, the podcast that solves fashion.
Speaker 1: Problems and levels up your wardrobe.
Speaker 2: I'm Lee Campbell, and today I'm joined by a guest with a very special talent. Today I'm joined by Katherine Eisman, an Emmy nominator journalist and author and the founder of fashion label High Heel Jungle. Katherine has an uncanny knack. She can look at an accessory someone's wearing and tell everything about them. So we're going to talk through the micro data points we wear without even knowing it and what it says about us.
Speaker 1: Plus how to go.
Speaker 2: Into our own wardrobes and work out who we really are right now and make sure that's reflected in what we wear.
Speaker 1: Catherine, Welcome for Nothing to Wear. Thank you so much for having me. We have so much to cover, but let's start at the start. Who are you and where did your career begin? Okay, well who am I? That I can't answer? But where are the career began? Are you today exactly in this moment. I started my career the very beginning, as a model, average one, and I studied communications and journalism. And actually it was while I was modeling that I discovered this. I was sitting on the floor and I saw these men's shoes walking past, and I was playing a game with myself, like I bet it's this guy, I bet it's that guy, and thinking about characteristics. Anyway, see the shoes. I could only see the.
Speaker 2: Shin date that show blind date, but yeah, exactly, and then I would look up and be like, oh, I test myself anyway. That became the beginning of what became my career, I guess was my first book a long time ago, called How to Tell a Man by His Shoes and this lifelong passion that I've had for connecting the clothes that we wear and the deepest parts of who we are as people. And I went to New York on that book tour, ended up beaming a reporter for NBC New York, and.
Speaker 1: Which was not part of the plan. I'm guessing it wasn't had so many different plans, and back in the day, I felt that you really had to pick a lane. It wasn't like now where you can become your own industry. I wanted to write. I loved writing, but I also did love television.
Speaker 2: And I and with the you know, the education after modeling, it makes sense.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I write place right time exactly. I wrote the book. The book became a bestseller. It really changed my life in many ways. I moved to New York and had the most extraordinary time working as a reporter journalist for NBC at thirty Rock and just learning so much so quickly. And then I ended up working television a long time, writing columns, writing books, doing a TV series called Undressed, all about the link between the clothing that we were in the person we are. Worked for E News, had a fashion and lifestyle and then launched High Hill Jungle by Katherine Eisband, which is my brand now.
Speaker 2: So we're going to talk more about that later because I love what I've seen so far. But I want to ask a few more questions about kind of this talent that you've got, so more on this skill of you know, seeing a shoe and then kind of guessing who the man is it's wearing them, that you got it pretty right most of the time. How did that evolve and how have you used that in your career since?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, okay. Well, the first time I realized I had this ability in a very pragmatic way was I was on holiday with my dad in Italy and some guy came up to me to ask for directions at a train station Italy in Italian. Unfortunately I don't speak Italian. I would like to obviously looked you know, you weren't looking touristy, though you obviously looked the pace. I think when you hear the rest of the story, I looked very too. It's really interesting because I remember staring at him and reading what he was wearing and this oversized camel Kashmir code, and remember his brown monk strap leather shoes, and I remember thinking there was this really big disconnect between his face and hiss these very plush, beautiful, elegant clothes. My father came back and we really that the video cam quarter back in the day that had our whole holidays memories on it was missing, and I remember saying to my dad, I don't know how because I only saw one person, but it must have been this guy because his clothes didn't match his face. And the vibe you got when it was starting exactly I think we all get and to varying degrees, have this ability to read a person. There's so much that happens that's energetic and not necessarily what someone says. That's such a small part of it. But I never noticed their clothes. So this is where it gets interesting. And the clothing is really I think of clothing and it is is the external manifestation of your internal world. And there are so many clues that we don't realize that we're giving off. And it's not anything to do with how much money you spent or how fashionable or on trend you are, other than it maybe being that you want to be part of something and feel a sense of belonging, and maybe there is a certain kind of interest in newness and also a lack of kind of confident. There's different aspects to act, but it's really about are you dressing to be seen? Are you dressing to disappear? Are you kind of thrown together and creative and kind of have hazard and or are you very structured and buttoned up? What colors you wear? You know, what shapes. There's so many little iterations of clothing that really reveal how we're feeling, not just how we want to be perceived in the world, because I think a lot of people think of clothing when they think of it one step further than it being superficient. They think, Oh, it's about making a great impression.
Speaker 2: I'll look powerful, but maybe you're not feeling that, And yeah, and it's really about when you look in the mirror, are you seeing an authentic, positive representation of who you want?
Speaker 1: Because when that aligns, that's when someone has incredible personal style. That's when someone feels aligned. And so that's how I've always seen fashion as a form of empowerment and creative self expression and taking it away from people feeling judged or fearful of it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, however, those years, you know, you've had this talent for a long time, how has that influenced what you wear? Do you think about it more or you don't have to think about it, because I surely you've been through different life stages and ups and downs. How has that been reflected in how you've presented yourself with your outfits.
Speaker 1: Well, it's such a great question, because you really, even though I'm so hyper aware of it and I do read people, and it's a different kind of depth of insight that I have when I look at it through that land. I still am at the mercy of clothing expressing parts of me, the highs and the lows, so I can look like all of us. I can look through my wardrobe and see these very clearly defined chapters. And I often think, you know, the name of your podcast is like nothing to wear. And people often will say, oh, I have a you know, water full of clothes and nothing to wear. What you're really saying is that I don't know who to be. I don't know who to be today in this moment, and maybe the things that I'm seeing reflected back at me are an old version of myself that doesn't feel aligned in what I've had. That even when I came back. I went from Sydney, where I was wearing colorful, pretty dresses. I was twenty one when I moved to New York. I arrived in New York winter. Wow. You know, I feel like the tan leached out of my skin on entry, and within a couple, you know, a year, I was wearing all black. And then I moved to LA and was and worked so very different so different, and it worked in entertainment. I was at E News and it was the you know, the time where everyone was wearing I don't know if you remember, like it was the Galaxy dress, which was and then there was like a cheaper version of it, which was the black halo Jackie O dress, which was this kind of very body conscious and you had it in every color and I had that.
Speaker 2: You know, especially when you're on TV, that's a whole other degree, I think, when you're being seen by so many people all the time and wearing things new before social media when everyone wants new things for their grid post. But that was a whole different time, one hundred percent, so you and you can see that, and then you can also see when I came back to Australia, that whole wardrobe just felt so wrong here everyone was wearing fifty shades of beige when I felt like and it was everything's very oversized and more relaxed and natural fibers and many beautiful things. But this whole very Hollywood outfit, you know, wardrobe I had just felt so wrong. Yeah, and I had to refine myself as a person and also as a dresser in that version. But I think it's really exciting to like look at your wardrobe as chapters in your book.
Speaker 1: Of your life like a diary. It's a diary.
Speaker 2: I love that will be back with more of Catherine's incredible insights right after the break. I think also people might make the mistake where they have things in their wardrobe that they've had for a while, or even shopping now, I still do this. I buy things for who I want to be and it's just not realistic, it's not practical. I want to be comfortable, or I get it home and I think, you know, I'm forty four, can I wear that?
Speaker 1: Which is a whole other dilemma as you can.
Speaker 2: But yes, that's what I tell everyone here, but you know, it still goes through my head. So not only do we have things from our past, but we kind of are projecting where.
Speaker 1: We thought our life would be it would like to be. Do you see that as well? One hundred percent? Yeah, you really can see different versions of who you want to be, not just who you've outgrown sometimes, which is definitely the case. But I think it's really interesting when you look in your wordsrop and you see the pieces that still have the tags on them, because that was that was some fantasy, a version of me and version of you that you felt like you want to buy into it quite literally at ever, and it's not you, you know, And every time you've tried to put it on, you've taken it off and put it back. What does that say? And that says, well, it depends what it is, but it definitely sometimes there's a version waiting for us to discover that we do want to be and that just like anything that fears holding us back and we are scared to stay. And in that case then you really have to rip the tag off and put it on. Yeah. And there are other times where you're dressing, often for someone else's ideas or that's what you think you should wear because you saw, you know, four hundred people wearing on your Instagram feed that morning and you went out and bought it, and then you just realize it wasn't you. And that's where it feels inauthentic. And in those cases I was like, sell it, given it a way to a friend who it might be, because I have had that time where you put on that dress, you go to an event or whatever it is, and you just want to go home. Yes, and take it off because you're so it's so wrong for you, and I have a like, if it feels wrong at home, it's going to feel ten times worse when you're out at an event. But yeah, I think you've got to be honest with yourself and say, is this someone that I want to be but I'm afraid to or is this someone that I thought I had to be that I don't want to be, and then make judgments according to that.
Speaker 2: Such a good point with the tag on and you've not worn it yet because I've got several things that I've put on, put back, put on, put back.
Speaker 1: When am I going to wear that? I'm not.
Speaker 2: I just need to let go of the guilt of spending the money or not being her or whatever it is and move it on so it's not in the way. But it's funny because I think we marry, you know, failure to the clothes that we've bought but haven't worn for certain reasons.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent, because everyone, no matter what your budget is, it's so wasteful. It's kind of like the fashion version of throwing out a half eaten plant of food. And your parents were telling you, like it's a waste. There are kids that are starving and.
Speaker 2: Ordering a coffee when you keep cups in the car and you just couldn't be bothered to go and get it.
Speaker 1: You know, I've done that times, going oh my god, I feel so bad, but it's much worse. Yeah, it's like that. So and I think, look, everyone's allowed to have some mistakes. And I think that your wardrobe. What would be worse is to not be experimenting at all, to be so stuck in a way of dressing and a way of thinking that you're not evolving. So I think you've got to give yourself a little bit of grace and so at least I was trying to be, you know, for whatever reason. And I think the worst thing would be to never change is a person. Yeah, I think that's when and you do see that in close in people, whether people feel stuck and how that manifests.
Speaker 2: And unfortunately, I think as us women age, we feel like we need to shrink, so we get less experimental. We look for more comfort, which is wonderful. But you can be comfortable and stylish and experiment and it doesn't mean because you're getting older that you can't wear that like you just said before, even though in my head, oh, I sometimes tell myself that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely. I always feel like there's this thing called repetitious wardrobes interrome. I made it up, but I like that tell us more about it, and so the brain likes to do the same things at the same time. We love routine, you know, in a world where there's so many choices and decisions we have to make and it's exhausting, we do love to like get have the same coffee order, you know, get up ideally at the same time, have the same breakfast and how we dress. Repetious wardrobes is is that part of that, and it can be useful in terms of like having your uniform that yeah, like Steve Jobs did. Like Steve Jobs exactly, everyone listening, get a black and you're good and make billions. But I think and Obama had the same thing, President Obama. So people can have those choices. Usually men happy women have a version of it. Might be a pair of jeans and a blazer or whatever it might be, or the same three suits that they're on rotation. But I think that we can become a bit of a broken record. And there's this other thing where people get stuck at an era, so you can look at people and you couldn't see and it's often when they felt most connected to the music.
Speaker 2: When they felt most alive. So you can often see the purple patch. Things were going well, they were feeling good.
Speaker 1: Yes, and you can look at someone and say like, oh, clearly like the eighties were their moment, the nineties which are back, you know. I think the part that I am upset about is that the messaging to yourself is that the best years are behind you. Gosh, yes, I'm relating to that right now, and that is not true. The best years are right now. The day that you get to get dressed and breathe and wake up, that's the day. And that idea of not saving your clothing for some future thing or thinking that that was when you had it all together, it's now. Yeah, I can't go back. You can't go back, and you actually wouldn't want it. We all romanced, like even New York I romanticized about it.
Speaker 2: I don't when you go back to an X and you think it'll be great, then you're like, actually, you're a dickhead. You know, you forgot because you romanticized it. It was bad things back then. That's why we broke up.
Speaker 1: And you've learnt so much since that wonderful version of you that you thought was so perfect. You're at a peak. You are a better version of yourself. Not you so true? Why is a smarter? Whatever it is? And so I always feel like saying, who do I want to be right now? Like? Who am I? What are the three things that make me feel yes?
Speaker 2: Because I think we hear a lot on this podcast that women want to develop personal style. They don't know what to wear. Either they've got usually they've got too many clothes ye, or they've just yeah, they're stuck in a safe zone. How can someone sit down with themselves and go, right, who do I want to be right now? Or where am I realistically in my life? Maybe that's not exactly where they want to be, and then get dressed accordingly because that can be confronting.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent, And you're so right. It's often too many clothes not we often think, oh, the solutions to buy more. I've even fallen like, oh, oh, I'm like that right now. I'll give you a few tips that I think are really helpful if you do buy something. Yes, I often say buy something that is a complete outfit, because we have this thing I've kind of thought of. This is like a bower bird shopping habit where you see something shiny or whatever it is, and you love it and it doesn't work with pretty much anything else in your wardrobe. And you have this wardrobe full of all these beautiful pieces and none of them go and you really do have nothing to wear. Yes, So I always feel like, in the name of simplicity, we're all so stretched too thin. We have very little band with Even if you love fashion as much as we do, and so many people listening do, we don't have time to reimagine an entirely unique wardrobe choice every morning. So if you have like a complete set, you know that no matter what, just put that on and yes, ideally you can mix it with three other things. In your words, I always love that, But you have that done. I love that game on. The Next thing is asking yourself like, Okay, what are the three kind of like style power words that I want to feel? And it can be different. We're not one thing. This is the thing I have People say, just be yourself and I'm like, which one? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 1: Which one? What time in my cycle. I don't know, there's so many, and it's like, but that's okay. I think you could think of three words and they can be almost contradictory, like you are a contradiction, like you am.
Speaker 2: You're very like like classic and androgynists, but then I like to be different and sometimes feminine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you have like I see with you more than you realize, is like a rebellious streak to you of kind.
Speaker 2: Of so true, like I won't jaywalk, but I will let my clothes be a little bit not following the rules.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know the rules. You're also have this kind of a bit of a renegade spirit to you, of like trying new things and wanting to like be okay with being a little bit scared. So I see them not be bored, Ye, not be bored exactly, and so okay. Three words so you say, like who are they? So it might be creative, it might be confident, and it might be feminine or whatever it is. And edit your wardrobe and does it now? Great if it falls into AU three, unlikely, But otherwise, if it falls into any one of those three, it gets to stay. If it is none of those things that you want to feel. It should be it's an emotion. Like if you do not feel any of those things, it has to go and give it to someone else that may be their wonderful word. Yes, And I think there's this wonderful just like you know when they talk about money, and it's like there's a real flow to it. And if you're trying to ware attention goes energy flows something like that. Yeah, that's I like that.
Speaker 2: And also flow your clothes onto someone else who will give them attention exactly.
Speaker 1: And I think that if you don't hold onto things so tightly, it creates space for new things and new versions of yourself to it to come into your life as well. So I just did a massive wardrobe claar out. Now the clothes are still in the bag. I haven't been able to like quite get them other house, okay, but they're in the bag.
Speaker 2: And I sometimes do a maybe pile, like a maybe pile or a maybe you know, vacuum thing in the spare room cupboard, and nine times out of ten I don't remember what's in there, and then I take it to donate or to sell later.
Speaker 1: But for me it just feels a little bit safer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that it hasn't fully gone in case who I was in that moment when I made that decision. Yes, you know I leave when someone else comes back. Yeah, it feels a little bit less final. And to me because I do make a lot of emotional purchases or have you know, keep things for a long time, it feels a little bit safer.
Speaker 1: That's a really great thing too, because everyone always says just put in the bag and throw it out, but there's actually I think it would be really horrible and haunting people to regret the things. Okay, so from my four bags actually that I have. Last weekend I got two outfits out of fancy and I wore them. But had I not done this massive wardrobe plane out, I would not be aware that they were even there. And I wore them with intention. I enjoyed them, And so it's a really great thing to do. It's almost like you give yourself two steps.
Speaker 2: You know. It's like a bit of a stock take Who am I now? Who do I want to be? Am I close to being her?
Speaker 1: What have I got? Yeah? And bringing a piece or an outfit in that just gently pushes you more towards that version, because which as we said, we're constantly evolving. There is something we're getting to, yes, and that's exciting, and so you're allowed to just edge a little forward towards that version and try something new. And I always say, because we go into shops and I call it like fashion blinkers, where you walk in and you if you love black, you kind of just naturally go to the black, or if you love what it's going to be.
Speaker 2: My next question, why do I keep buying denim chean bray shirts. I love them, but I don't need another one and the three I love the most are enough? But do you find that people either have more than they need of one item? And is that a safety thing? What does that kind of mean?
Speaker 1: Do you think? Yeah, absolutely, most people will have many versions of the same thing in their wardrobe. And look, there's an element of it being practical because you know, you love it, it works on you, and you're probably gonna wear it. But there's also a thing I'm not I don't need thirty and that's getting weird. And that's where it is like for me, shoes, Like there's only two feet that I have, but I you can only wear two shoes a day. I know, exactly. Well, you might wear odd ones.
Speaker 2: So that you can at least get two pairs ticked off. But yeah, but you're realistic.
Speaker 1: So I think that we have these kind of soft spots with different things, and it's often something that we think looks good on us so and often connected even to like a body part that you feel good with. Like, so some people they love their upper body, so you'll see them buy like so many of the same kind of different versions of that top. Yes, some people love pants and they'll have forty different pairs of jeans because they love their bart or legs or whatever is. Yeah, for me, it's shoes, you know, I love it, and I think that it shows you where you're comfort is and where you know you're going to look good. It takes out the fear of you looking at being unflattering. You know. It works. But the same time, it is like a bit of a stuck in a right. It's a bit of that broken record that's playing the same thing and you need say like no, and you only wear your favorite version of it anyway, So it's just wasteful. So you have to just at some point put a quota and say, like I'm.
Speaker 2: Allowed however many So you mentioned micro data points in what people wear, you can see those.
Speaker 1: What's a micro data point? Okay, so you know the idea of the subconscious mind and how when you get a gut instinct about someone, it's really based on so many very complex psychological analysis that you've done that express itself in a moment as a gut reaction.
Speaker 2: Yes, which is always right, by the way, always. I don't know about for men, but my gut is always right, and when you get older you learn to trust it. So I have that same thing when it comes to clothing, and it's not just me, like I've been able to articulate it and explain it to people, but all of us judge each other within a tenth of a second, and we do it without me to don't judge a book by its cover. But I think it's a survival thing from like primal days.
Speaker 1: It is okay, good, Yeah, it's like are they going to eat me? Should I run? Exactly? And sometimes you should, especially when it comes to dating. But yeah, So really, what I've found is that when I look at someone's clothing, I will notice the smallest microdata points. So it might be the condition of their shoes, the shape of it. Are they square toe they pointy? Are they brown? Are they black? Are they more conservative? What kind of jeens? Are they going baggy? Is it distress? Is it completely on trend? Is it the it gene? They need to have an ass today? Are they dress conservative but they have wild manicures? Is there kind of some contrast contradiction of like who they have to be, but who they really are that's fighting through? Do they have a necklace that is you know, a big name brand that's kind of subscribing to that version of what's considered you know, aspiration or is it sentimental?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: Was it a family heirloom? And that's the kind of so you can get a sense of there are really, depending on what you're wearing, potentially thousands of microdata points that reveal different decision making processes. It occurred because every time you get dressed, whether you are aware of it or not, there is a subconscious decision making process that says a word of infinite choices at pretty much every price point these days, Yes, I am choosing to wear this as a second skin as I walk through my life. Yes, And so it's not so much the clothing. It's the decision that drew that person to that piece. Yes, to say that you're able to analyze that, So I have had this, I think a truly god given worst kind of analysis.
Speaker 2: In off it sounds exhausting. I'm the least observant person in the world. But I'm just if you said you know that dress you all yesterdaily, I wouldn't remember. I'd like to be a bit more observed. But for you, it sounds so intrinsic that it just happens almost subconsciously.
Speaker 1: It does, It really does. But there's also the thing where because when you write a book, how to tell them my shoes, how to tell them by your handbag, when you do a TV show undress chatronized, where you read people strangers, and of course when you go to a party you become like it's like, yes, it's like if you learn if you're like a croupier, you know what I mean, it's a dangerous thing to go to like a cards night anyway, So people will ask me. And so even though I'm always reading people, and we're all all reading people to varying degrees, like you may not realize it, but you by the way might not remember what they were were I they made me feel, but you remember what you and also not just how they made you feel, but also like how you felt about them and how you position them and which category of person you put very very true, and you won't have realized why you came to that conclusion, but that is occurring for you. I've just verbalized it in a way that you probably internalized, and so I think that it's a really interesting skill. But when I am asked to read someone, I kind of go into a different part of myself. It's it's almost like it's really bad to film because I really go like, no, I love it. It's fascinating because I then really seek to understand that person.
Speaker 2: And if someone knows they're going to meet you, I wonder if that's a bit tricky. I think you would probably tell more about someone on how they dress day to day rather than what they choose to wear to that wedding. You know that oftentimes you would encounter people, but it's surely it's the day to day stuff that we put on that's really who we are.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is, but it's both, you know, because then you can put in the context of like Okay for a fancy dress event they've chosen to wear that. That's true. There's a lot of so you know, so there's it's interesting, but I always it's so funny. You always meet people and often men will be like, oh no, no, no, I never wear these, and I'm looking at the shoes. I'm like, well someone is they're not brand new? Yeah, yeah, And it's really fun. It's always I always have this thing where it's like, whatever I find you wearing is what I meant to see you in. And it's never judgmental. That's the thing. I think action could be so judgmental. And even with creating high Hill Jungle, I want it to be freedom, not restriction. I want us to feel seen, not judged.
Speaker 2: And that's because that's why so many people do play it safe or get stuck as they do feel judged.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. Not people think it's fashion is not something that they know about. Yeah, and never have.
Speaker 2: Permission that although'll be superficial. You know, often we all have to wear clothes. So you've been many people over your life and continually troublesomewhere. Make it to my husband for yourself, I know mine too, and you can see that reflected in your wardrobe, as you said, So, what's an item that's kind of been with you on the journey.
Speaker 1: Or that you haven't gotten rid of yet? And why? I have this incredible burbery trench coat that belonged to my mother and she bought it in London and it's in perfect condition and I love it, you know, And it's just one of those pieces that is as timeless now as it was. Then Do you wear it? I do wear it. I do wear it. I don't. I think if I live somewhere other than Sydney, I would wear it more.
Speaker 3: So maybe I'm just go to London and recreate the sixties or seventies there.
Speaker 1: But I love it, and I think clothing carries so many memories. Sometimes cool say that's like a photograph and your wardrobe it is. It's a photograph and it's a beautiful piece that takes me My mom passed away a few years ago, and it's She's there in my wardrobe and so I love it. So there are some pieces that I do wear and is such a time of things, But you don't have to get rid of things that hold beautiful memories, as you said, like a photograph. There are some pieces that I allow, just like with your kid's clothing or whatever it is, I'm allowed. They're not going to fit into a clear out. And I think you're allowed to have that because I think you know, scent is so closely connected to memory, but I think clothing is as well. For sure. Oh I love that.
Speaker 2: But speaking of your shoes and your brand, High Heeled Jungle, So how did that come about?
Speaker 1: And tell us more well? So I was working as a reporter covering entertainment, and many times a day I would have to change my clothes, and I thought this is really, first of all, exhausting, unsustainable, It's terrible. I thought, wouldn't it be great if I could just literally change like one thing and I had a whole new I won't say dress, put on like some And I started making these really incredible socks and then tights that were just a real point of view, that were this kind of glitch in the matrix to my outfit and punctuated it without me having to buy a whole new wardrobe.
Speaker 2: And when you say making them, like literally at the start physically making it, you start making them for myself.
Speaker 1: I was living in La and What happened immediately was some of the biggest stars in the world would stop mid interview and be like, just what are those like sheer socks you're wearing with those heels or what are they? I need them? And I have all these videos where I'm like, please don't use up my five minue, we'll exactly where they're like socks, socks, socks and that. I would literally take them off and they would put them on mid interview. They love them so much because it was so different. It was wild, you know. And so I started producing them and making and bringing it to set, and very very quickly, you know. I remember Zoe Saldana post was one of the first to post this thing, just like obsessed with these socks. And then we got picked up by a big store at the time in La called fred Siegel. And this was when you weren't making them handmade. No. Now I'd gone introduction and I went into production. Exactly, I can't give interview making something I'm bleeding.
Speaker 3: Exactly learning damn those crystals maybe more simple?
Speaker 1: Why so intricate? And so the business just really started from that, and I really thought, you know, clothing and fashion, it's really such an oversaturated market and amazing socks, tights, accessories, gloves, all these pieces that really, as I say, like punctuate and outfit and give you a point of view without you having to buy an entire wardrobe. Was such a overlook sleepy category that was just totally completely everyone was just like a nude, you.
Speaker 2: Know, royal family style thing or like there was just nothing but your black pegs.
Speaker 1: She is great, You're done exactly, And I thought, what if you just injected some personality and personal style so you could even if you didn't feel like taking a big risk, you could wear whatever it is even you're like loafers and added like a beautiful glitter sock or something. And so that's how High Hill Jungle started. And then we just got start. Roughly how long ago we talking. I could tell exactly when it was. It was eight years ago because I was nine months pregnant with my second child, and I remember Lapid in the Youngest Style is coming up to me pointing at my socks and saying they're amazing, like I can't remember which one I.
Speaker 3: Know, and I said, oh, I launch a launch in a month, and he looked at me like I was going to launch.
Speaker 1: The baby Aline and I literally was like I did launch both of them at the same time. And now it's kind of became all encompassing, and it's become because it's a lot more than that. Now. So where are we at now? So now we're you know, one of the fastest growing accessory and hosary brands in America. So we're a nord stream and free people in anthropology and topology. I love anthropology, but it's more than stockings and socks. What else do you Okay, so amazing socks and tights, beautiful like leather gloves, some lace pants which had become hugely popular. We just had the fastest Australian woman ever just wore it in the cover, which is.
Speaker 2: Really leather jacket, leather and leather jacket and designing.
Speaker 1: The perfect forever leather jacket, the one that you will not ever get out of your wach you can stop searching. It was that so fun. It was so fun because.
Speaker 2: I've had like, just like you with your shirt, my leather jackets.
Speaker 1: I must say, yeah, so I had spent my whole life and it's an expensive thing to get wrong, you know, So I kept on buying again. And again the leather jacket just and it wasn't just exactly right. And then I think this is what I do. I have a fashion label. I'm just even though it didn't clearly make sense connected it, I was like, I just have to make.
Speaker 2: This, and I for me on the outside, it does because you know that didn't exist, so you made it that didn't exist, So you made it, yes, And I think that's the way if you live your life that way, that you're not the only person that.
Speaker 1: Is also looking for that or didn't even know they were until you made it. So so it's called the Margo leather jacket, and I use the best Italian leather in the world.
Speaker 2: I did to stroke you before. It was delicious. It's like edible.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to keep touching it, but I didn't want to be unprofessional. No, I would have loved that.
Speaker 2: Tell me more about your brand. So you mentioned, you know, it's casually dropped a few names there, CELEBSA celebs. I hate saying CELEBSA. You know, people that we love and follow have worn the brand. So tell me a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's really wild, to be honest, because every day, No, I would say, twice a week, okay, twice a week, I will get an email in my inbox from the biggest stylists in the world saying, can we I can't say what I got last night in a class, but it's insane. Last week it was dressed sure, and it makes total sense. Doja cat her whole world tour, her amazing styles. Literally, Doja loves it wood, so she she wore high Hill Jungle of her entire world to and.
Speaker 2: You do a collaboration with Share and her like fishnets from that boat video.
Speaker 1: I know, isn't that good? That's all I think of When you just said that, I was like, that's perfect. Well, they are her stylist whose iconic patty was said, oh, can we hang on to them so we can wear I was like, yes, you can hang on to them. But I mean, you know, yes, exactly we've got But you know, but the Kardashians when I first launched, we got an email saying that they wanted to all wear it for the opening credits of Keeping Up with the Kardashians, and they've since worn it various things that Kylie and and Kim and Haley Bieber and Doja cat I told you, but like Chapel Rome, Sabrina Carpenter, like everyone, and it's so amazing because what's really cool, So these people often get paid to wear brands and they can have access to everything in the world, and it's such a huge compliment that they have found high Hell Jungle sorted out, emailed and asked can we wear it for these huge you know, usbo covers and things like that, and it's I'm always like, how did you find? It's always so amazing to see that. I was trying to understand why they would do it, you know, because it was just on the cover the Push Skep Doles just wore it all on the cover and it's us in Saint Lauren and it's these stylus and these artists aren't looking to necessarily follow trends. They really are icons in fashion because they create the trends and they're looking for something that's new, that's ancie everywhere, and so you know, we've had enormous you know, we've been so lucky and we've never paid anyone. It's been totally organic and they love it and it's a huge compliment. But it's equally a compliment when I walk down the street and I see some woman, you know, in Sydney or wherever it is, who's gone out and of all the things she.
Speaker 2: Could have bought, bought our brand, see it in the wild and still pretty cool, the.
Speaker 1: Coolest. Yeah, I've got a very small skincare brand.
Speaker 2: But I was driving somewhere, you know, half an hour away from my home the other day, and I saw one of our like crumpled up boxes sitting on the top of someone's.
Speaker 1: Bin, and I was like, oh, to provide it's in the wild. I don't know who lives here. Yeah, we're going to get a restraining on, but I know it is. It's the coolest thing. And that's the coolest thing. And if you look at like your career, micro and all this thing, it's like the idea that something starts in your head and then you get to like bring it into the world and then someone likes it, do what likes it. It's so it's so exciting for all the hard work, you just think, oh, I'm so lucky. Yeah. Yeah, and talented, you're very talented. You're very talented too.
Speaker 2: Coming up after the break, we're going to cover Boogie to Budget. Catherine is telling us about three amazing leather jackets, and I've got a mishmash of accessories for this weird time of year.
Speaker 1: It's very expensive. How wud are these bougie and budget time? My friend?
Speaker 2: Well, you've wore the most incredible leather jacket in here, which I think you're going to talk about. So your category is leather jackets. Do you want to start at the affordable end or the expensive end?
Speaker 1: Oh? What do you think? Let's start low?
Speaker 2: Okay, let's start low and then go to unders. Okay, what's your affordable? Affordable leather jacket?
Speaker 1: Is by Meshki. It's the faux leather crop jacket. It's called Page and it comes in a cherry brown. It's two hundred and thirty nine dollars. It is faux leather. Yeah, so people some people prefer that. But it's cute. It's cropped, it has the kind of crossover button here, it has the elasticized waist, but it's a little bit oversized.
Speaker 2: So it's that bombas style bombs, not biker, because I've buy some bikers from before.
Speaker 1: Bikers are a current having a little break.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've got an extensive biker so it's staying in the wardrobe.
Speaker 1: It will come back.
Speaker 2: It has to because I spent way too much on that jacket. Amazing, and you know what, you're also wearing Meshki today. I love Mesheki and forgot about it, so thank you. Really good quality for the price.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. I agree, I love it. No, I think it's a really you don't have to spend a fortune to look expens middle of the road. Tell me about this guy exactly. It's anything but middle of the road. Its approaching. It is high hill jungles. The Margo Nappa leather jacket as this is a jacket that is forever. It's the softest Italian n Apple leather. It's like butter. It will get better with years and years, ten twenty years from their own. It has a funnel neck if you want it to be, but it can wear it down so when that style isn't so hot, it will still be timeless. Slightly oversized, bomber Lasser size ways. You can wear it so many different ways, and it is something that you can wear. It's got a beautiful pebbled leather to it.
Speaker 2: And I love repass that you speak with. I can tell why you designed her. You needed her to be all of these elements, and so you made her exactly.
Speaker 1: I want it to be tactile, I want to smell delicious. I want it to be soft. I want to wear it with jeaned I want to wear it with over a suit. I want to wear it over a slip dress to an evening function. It's that piece that I will cost per wear is going to be the best investment, right, hit me with the cost twenty two hundred.
Speaker 2: Great, now you're bougie, let's go higher. Tell me how high can you go?
Speaker 1: Seriously? But you really can? You really can. When it comes to a leather jacket, because it is that forever piece. So it's Saint Laurent. It is their bomber jacket, very good quality leather. The midway run is a little bit better, but it's got a really cool oversized cut to it. It's a little bit larger and so it's really kind of going down that direction, a little less timeless, but got a lot of edge, a lot of fashion cred, a little like off duty model, off Judy look, and very very cool. What are we talking for a Saint Laurent leather jacket these days? That is drum roll please, nearly eleven thousand, oh, my.
Speaker 2: Godfather, nearly eleven thousand dollars. Well, I mean, I guess if you win the lotto.
Speaker 1: Exactly, you could like a house or a new car for your child, or love.
Speaker 2: Education, yes, school books, don't know you know, I get it and it's there and some people might buy.
Speaker 1: And that's why we do.
Speaker 2: Booshie your budget one hundred percent, no judge, you can exactly, no judgment.
Speaker 1: We all love fashion. Just make sure you wear it and take the tag off my boosie.
Speaker 2: And budget's a bit of a mistil, well, because we're in this time of year where you want winter to be over, but realistically it's still winter here.
Speaker 1: You're not going to buy any new winter.
Speaker 2: Some summer drops are happening, but you can't picture who you are in summer yet, so you're not shopping and you maybe just want to wear what you've got accessories is the outside. That's what I did today. I'm wearing quite a boring outfit. We've discussed. It looks like black pants and a blazer, but I chucked on some yellow heels.
Speaker 1: I've got a yellow bag, and then I chucked on some necklaces. So these aren't new, they're from my wardrobes.
Speaker 2: I've got. You know version of my Bougie is the Mason to Say Bye.
Speaker 1: It's called the soft Trio Bag.
Speaker 2: It is five hundred and fifty nine dollars for a bright yellow handbag. It's a functional size. You will have it forever if you like color or like me. You know, we talked about my fancy yellow bag. At the moment, it's not a trend. It's actually quite hard to find yellow at the moment. They're still burgened everywhere. There's still chocolate everywhere, and it's.
Speaker 1: Not buttery yellow. It's not budy yellow, which is also everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I enjoy Yeah, but I just thought, I'm so bored of my wardrobe getting rest.
Speaker 1: This s wrning.
Speaker 2: So I grabbed a bright yellow bag and some you know, yellow shoes. So it's a pretty beautiful bag. And their bags are very good quality, and you could spend three thousand easily.
Speaker 1: See that's great. I love that, and I think it's I love that it's expensive but fun ye playful, because I think we never want to not be fun and playful, so that's never good and not brandy.
Speaker 2: I feel like, you know, you don't want to scream a brand if you are also doing color, and also if you just want to keep it forever.
Speaker 1: I completely agree, and it's very chic. You not have thank you. I mean, I don't know this, I don't own this bad I'm.
Speaker 3: Giving you full credit, this fictitious outfit and piece that you don't know.
Speaker 1: Now my middle of the road. It is my shoe.
Speaker 2: So the brand is Lost Carbos. It's on the Iconic and it's called the Zane Mule. It comes in a bunch of different colors. Yeah, seventy nine ninety five. It's a bright canary yellow Swede and it's literally a low, little block heel slip it on. Not my favorite style of shoe normally if it was a boring color.
Speaker 1: It's a block heel, you see. Yeah, it's a block.
Speaker 2: Heel like yeah, kind of kitten height, yeah, but instead of a stiletto block heel and then just that one sort of thick strap. There are some safer colors, but I think in the canary yellow you can walk. Yes. The color does the talking yes, and they're really comfortable. I like it, and I think when you commit to something that's so bright like that. It's almost like, you know how leopard print is a neutral.
Speaker 1: I think if you go like so bright with a color like a yellow, yes, you're not trying. You're not gonna wear an all yellow outfit exactly. You're allowed for it to clash and not go with anything else, so it kind of becomes a weird neutral as well.
Speaker 2: That's exactly my thought. You know, it's that whole wrong shoe theory, A we're doing whole wrong accessory theorist.
Speaker 1: It's all wrong and it couldn't be all right. But if you get yellow and too high, you're not going to wear them.
Speaker 2: If they're yellow and comfortable, at least you'll wear them because you don't want to take and yellow too.
Speaker 1: High could go very wrong very quickly. You know. That was a little bit like a tweatybird with a little bit of porn.
Speaker 2: I bought them for a fancy dress party exactly, and then my budget is it's actually one necklace. I was inspired by what I put on this morning. So interestingly, when you said people will wear a sentimental peace Since my mom passed away this year, I've not taken off her little coin necklace that she wore every day of my whole life. But I was like, come on, put something on these a set of three that I'm wearing right now.
Speaker 1: They're from Kmart. I just didn't put the third one. Wow, I know, really can I noticed them minute I saw you, and my son made me buy them because he's seven, and we go to Camart to get lego and then of course I have to look at things so they're available.
Speaker 2: But also there's something beautiful on eahem at the moment. They've just had a new I guess their first spring summer drop. But I just looked at the accessories. It's the H and M heart chain necklace. It's thirty four to ninety nine. It's just a big, sort of chunky, almost like choka, and each big heart is.
Speaker 1: Silver and gold silver, gold, silver. Girl, I feel like I want to see this. I have to show you a photo.
Speaker 2: It's thirty five dollars and it's just a really great way this time of year to go.
Speaker 1: I'm so bored. There's something fun.
Speaker 2: We look at each other in the eye, so it's nice to, you know, add something a bit exciting near the face, near the face.
Speaker 1: I love it. You know what I love about your selection? It's like unapologetic.
Speaker 2: Yes there's something just really I just know what I like and I don't well, I do care if it's really expensive, but I am very I love going to came out and going that was seven dollars, because anyone can spend three hundred dollars on something nice.
Speaker 1: But when it's cheap and good, no, do you know? I have the same. I constantly try and imagine I'm in some television challenge where I have to go into market and be like, let me put together the best outfit. I find the T shirts that came up an amazing quite good quality cotton. I love it. I think if you really love fashion, if you really do have a sense of personal style, you can do something anywhere, almost anywhere. I agree, you're amazing.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I want to take you around the office and find out all more about my coworkers.
Speaker 1: You'll have to join me again soon. But thank you so much for coming on Nothing to Wear, Thank you so much for having me the best time. You're wonderful.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for joining me. And don't forget all of the links to the products we talked about today are in the show notes, and we've got an amazing newsletter that we'll get delivered straight to inbox every single week and it's free, so you can sign up.
Speaker 1: To get that in the show notes.
Speaker 2: If you want more Nothing to Wear Don't Forget, you can follow us on YouTube, Instagram, and TikTok. Our handle is Nothing to Wear Pod. See you next time. Mama Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we recorded this podcast.