Speaker 1: So you're listening to a Muma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and borders that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 3: From Mama Mia. Welcome to the Spill, your daily pop culture Fixed. I'm and Venham and I'm Laura Brodnick. Back together again, Back together again. I feel like I haven't seen anyone like a year.
Speaker 2: It has been two weeks because of our schedules and our seat.
Speaker 3: Two weeks for us as a year.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 4: And look, there were a lot of rumors out there that we were fighting, but we're not. Guys. We ourselves started.
Speaker 2: We started.
Speaker 4: But we're back today for a very special event, which is the fact that the cast of the Fantastic Four first steps we're in Australia.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And we have those interviews coming up on the show today.
Speaker 3: So something this week has been very exciting for US Australians because we've been graced with the presence of four major A listers. Gonna listen them out for you, four superheroes if you four superhero A listens. So we have Pedro Pascal, we have Vanessa Kirby, we have Joseph Quinn, we have Eben Muss backrack and you might be wondering what did these four individuals have in common? Well, as a Marvel girlie, I'll tell you because they are starring in the next brand new Marvel Universe Fantastic.
Speaker 2: Four movie, Fantastic Four First Steps. So excited.
Speaker 4: I've never seen a girl so excited? Is this young lady right here?
Speaker 3: Okay? Because Fantastic Four have tried so so hard in history and you know what, I'm a Fantastic Four lover girl. I love Fantastic four so much and it's just been getting shit on shit on shit, and I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, no movies back in the day with like Jessica and Chris.
Speaker 2: Evans, they weren't critically acclaimed amazing.
Speaker 3: But Chris Evans is better as Captain in America.
Speaker 2: I must say his moment he found the character, loved it.
Speaker 3: The next one with Miles Teller and Michael B. Jordan could have been better.
Speaker 2: Can I just say?
Speaker 4: The director says that the studio ruined it for him, and I choose to believe that.
Speaker 2: I want his cut.
Speaker 3: Okay, I mean love the cast, but I feel like they went on to do bigger and better thing. Absolutely the Fantastic Four, This Fantastic four, And I don't want any major spoilers because I actually haven't seen it yet. You've seen clips of it.
Speaker 4: I say, I cannot spoil it because I also haven't seen at some clips.
Speaker 2: Guys, Marvel is wild with their security.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you, I think the promo for this particular movie has been so so good, right from the trailer, because we watched the trailer and I was like, why does the thing look so low fire like, what's going on? And then we slowly realized that, oh, this Fantastic Four movie is taking place in like the olden day, Yeah, back in the day. So they have I feel like, if you watch the Fantastic Four movies, they look very modern, very cool. This one looks like they come straight out of the comic books in the sixties, the traditional Fantastic Four uniform. It looks so good. The cinematography looks brilliant. And that's just from the trailer. Yeah, and you actually went to the big fan event that happened in Sydney.
Speaker 4: I did, Yeah, so they flew the cast in. So can I just say, this is how intense these things that I did not get A plus one I couldn't take you. I'm so sorry, you know, otherwise I always take you to everything. But it was very intense. We'll get into that because yeah, it was an experience, but before then they had a bit of time to flow out. And I haven't sort of seen this almost since maybe Taylor swift Land in the straight because from the moment they stepped off a plane in Sydney for the press tour, they were being tracked so intensely. There were fans at the airport, there were people like lining the roads to see them. There were so many paparazzi shots of them walking through the airport and getting off the plane, like no rest from the moment, and they walked you know, like you get off at the Sydney International Airport you have to go stwn that big curb and wait for the like oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just all standing there so much. I was like, what a way. I was like, that's why I get picked up from.
Speaker 3: The internet squareport for me to find Hugh Jackman's rude, because that is not the way all celebrities get picked up from our airport. We could have been standing there with them, We could have been right there connected Quinn's carrying his own luggage.
Speaker 2: I was like, together, guys.
Speaker 3: That's so funny. All I have to say is I'm so so grateful that they didn't go to any of my favorite restaurants.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, again from the Tailor Stift time you've been.
Speaker 3: I remember, I was very passionate about Taylor Swift going to my favorite restaurant and me not being able to get a booking for my birthday.
Speaker 2: I thought, you still can barely get a booking there.
Speaker 3: I now I recently went there, and that's because I booked it three months ago. So that's how my life is panning out from the Taylor Swift.
Speaker 2: Celebrities cannot come to our favorite rest And I was.
Speaker 3: Even more mad on top of that because I still get a ticket to a concert, ruining my wife and I don't even get to reap the benefits anyway about that. But because I was so concerned about this, I was like, I have to know everything that these four individuals have done on their trip in Sydney. And one of the big things they all did, well two of them did that we know of, is they did they did the Bondi, they did the Bondaie to Cookie Walk, the Hot Girl Walk if you will. Now I have things today, especially Vanessa Kirby did the walk with her husband. Look, if I was there in Bondai, I would have just passed her and not even realized because she encapsulated the Bondai look. She had her little like black hotpants, she had a little black walking bra like her little pregnant belly was out like all in black. She looked like a Bondie girl, like doing a hot girl walk. She had a phone in her hand, she had an Apple watch in her other hand. She knew, she knew what she was doing. Then we have Pedro Pascal, that poor sweet man. I don't think he was properly breefe where he was going, yes, or even what the walk was. I think it was maybe two. He was going to have like a stroll along the beach.
Speaker 4: Side and he was going down to look at the beach on like the road, and he was going to a cafe or something.
Speaker 2: That's the outfit he had on.
Speaker 3: And you know what, that's fair because I've had relatives from overseas who have been recommended to do the bond Aid to Couldjie walk, and then they've come back angry at us because they're like, you didn't tell us. It was like this massive hike. We thought we were going to the beach, so we all wore sandals and all wore us when we're now we're chafing, we're injured.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because if you're if you're not from Sydney, like that walk is spectacular, but it's not.
Speaker 2: It's not a hard hike or anything like that.
Speaker 4: Wh people say, are going for a hike and like, are you going for a hike or are you doing the bond Because that's embarrassing if you call me that a hike. But you do walk along some rocks, you walk up many wet steps, there's a few hills, like you've got to have at least have some runners and like you and like your active wear, there's a walk.
Speaker 3: I don't think Pedro's team got the brim. He looks very good. So he's wearing his green added as sambas. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: That doesn't have to knin.
Speaker 4: I just say that's the shoes were not going to have the right traction for those slippery steps.
Speaker 2: There's no railing on one side.
Speaker 3: With those shoes. You feel every single rock.
Speaker 4: The imagine if Pedro Pascal International Treasure came to Sydney and wasn't breathed and then slipped down the steps and hurt himself on our watch.
Speaker 2: On our watch, and.
Speaker 3: If I was BONDI steps, he'd still be falling till this day. Yeah, it's a big step still there, missed Premier. He's also wearing the whitest pants I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: I know, you just know that those weren't nice by the end of the.
Speaker 3: Water, and he's wearing like this beige like coat. It is cool here in Sydney, but he looks like he should be in a scene in Big Little Lives as Nicole Kidman.
Speaker 4: Yes, he should be staring with slee at the ocean on a cliff, not doing that walk.
Speaker 3: Which kind of makes sense why Vanessa Kirby opted to walk behind him. Oh yeah, with a husband.
Speaker 2: Usually when they are together, they're hugging the whole time. I think they got to the walk and she's like, I'm gonna I'm gonna hang back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because she wants to fit in and he very much is not fitting in. Also, these are paparazzi shots, so we're not gonna post them. But in every single shot there's no beach inside. It's like they saw us up and they're like, oh, we can't put that in sand. Yeah, like you're gonna have to walk. He's walking in the park, he's walking on grass, he's walking on footpaths. It could be anywhere, but supposedly it's Bondai.
Speaker 2: Yeah, allegedly.
Speaker 3: Allegedly it's Bondai. I do want to talk about all of their outfits in general? Oh sure, because I was looking at even though I didn't get a ticket as a fan event, I'd very kindly got emailed all the photos of what I.
Speaker 2: Can't say that happens to me as well.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I'll be like, Hi, this amazing event happened last night. Here's all the photos. We love you to run a piece. I'm like, you know what's worse than not inviting someone to a party? Not inviting them and the next day sending them a press release and a specific email with your name in it say how good it was?
Speaker 3: Like here, hey, am, here's what you missed. Let me know if this is good enough for this film, Like it's not, I don't get to go. But the photo of them in front of the opera House, which every single celebrity does. It's like the most iconic like celebrity photosh had to do outside the opera House. Their outfits are incredible. They know they are the most good looking cast in history.
Speaker 2: Because we know they have a group chat.
Speaker 4: It's called Abba because they were trying to pick like famous force throughout history. So I feel like they did talk in the group chat because the thing about I won't outwear celebrities stay even though I feel like people know there's one very fancy hotel on the harbor where all visiting celebrities stay. And when like we the media go to interview them, it's always set up in a specific spot so that when you interview them you can see the opera house behind them, because I think they flew them to Sydney and they want to prove that they're in Sydney. They're like, look at the Opera House. It's right there. And the cast always like has a break from press and goes out in separate outfits and does their photos in front of the opera House. And sometimes they all come out and you can just tell that no one had spoken beforehand around what they were wearing, because some people are all dressed up in a gown some people are like in very chill clothes, they have clashing patterns and colors.
Speaker 2: But this one they were all very synced up.
Speaker 3: Very very synced up. I mean, I wish they had this in full sight before they did the Bondi Walk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but a gir Chad.
Speaker 3: Wasn't firing Chad, No one was, nothing was happening in there. But I feel like these photos, like the professional photos, come out really well. So all the photo shoots. This happened before the premiere.
Speaker 4: From what I know from tracking them the way I was, yes, both the moments I was within the moments I wasn't. Yes, they flew into Australia, they did the bond Ei to Couljie walk. I'm assuming they went out and about and saw other things under cover of night and darkness, because we don't have pictures of that.
Speaker 2: They were at their hotel.
Speaker 4: They did press over two days, which is also usually it's all in one day. They did press over two days, and they did the fan event on the Tuesday night, and then they zipped around Sydney sometime busy. But those particular photos you're talking about were taken I believe on the Tuesday afternoon before the premiere and then after I interviewed them, they literally went to the airport and they were out here.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, So Kate, tell me about the premiere.
Speaker 2: Okay, it was bananas.
Speaker 3: It was wild because it's like we have different type of premiers here in Australia. We have premiers that are like world premiers like Wickeds. Yeah, we have like Australian premiers where it's like the first time showing in Australia. We have just early screening, yes, where you just get like your little popcorn. You're like here you go watch a movie. But this was like one of those combined premiers plus a fan event.
Speaker 4: Yes, so they've been doing a few worldwide fan events. The premiere is still coming, Like, we haven't even seen those looks in those pictures because we were quite early in the international press frunt so like the whole thing's just starting, so just step in for that. So this was a fan event where they couldn't show the movie because you know, Marvel, Lock and Key, all that sort of stuff, But they were having the cast here, so it was a chance for fans and media to see the cast. So got to the Entertainment Quarter, which is where they always set up like, because it's outside and not in the city where they sometimes have premiers, you can set up this huge, long carpet so they can do this full press thing. It's a bigger space. It's a bigger space. They always have these huge barricades and fans can come and line up on either side. And this is one of those events where they put the call out to fans like a week in advance and say the cast is going to be here this place.
Speaker 2: I have nearly been killed many times before.
Speaker 3: I've had a whole tray of drinks fall on me.
Speaker 4: Really, yes, okay, I have been on that carpet with huge superstars. In fact, it's mostly for Marvel, like I've been on that carpet before with the cast of the Avengers, or like with thor for with Chris Hemsworth.
Speaker 3: For Thorough My good friend.
Speaker 2: Thought Make Good Soave Thaw was there. And it is so intense.
Speaker 4: Because there's so many people They've lined up for hours that sometimes the barricades I have felt they're about to fall inward and I'm about to be trampled to death. And my death wouldn't even be a blip on the news. If if one of the Avengers was killed next to me.
Speaker 2: It felt like that.
Speaker 3: I can think they also had Bridget Jones's diaries.
Speaker 4: Yes, with the fans pushing it. So this particular one huge. You know how you and I when we're at these events, we're walking through and we always look at the people with the signs and stuff, and they've got these really hopeful but exhausted like the people at the Wicked premiere, and we were talking to them in the line and they're like, we've been here for two days. There were people at this Fantastic four event who had been there for over thirty hours standing on that barricade. There were people who had driven through the night, they had flowed into state, they had taken time off work. So the people for thirty hours had obviously been there the day before, still standing still holding their signs for thirty hours. And I'm like, I cannot even imagine.
Speaker 3: I know you are just strolling and walking in the cart.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, it was yet it was huge, so like people had signs everything for the cast members. So like we got there, we went through quite quickly, and then the cast came after us, and it was obviously and I talk about this in the interviews of the cast, because I asked them about that. I think it's one of the most interesting things to us, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, what is it like?
Speaker 4: Because people were breaking down, sobbing, people were screaming. It was a whole thing. The cast, I've got to say, was super generous with their time. I saw Pedro, Vanessa, Eben and Joseph, all of them actually going along the line taking as many photos as they hood, Calming people down who were like having like huge breakdowns over meeting with them was really beautiful. Obviously, they can't get to everyone, and I did see that there were people sobbing for a different reason. There were people sobbing because they met them, and then there were people sobbing because they had been there for twenty four hours and they had some of them had like flown, you know, and rented cars and book accommodation and everything to see the stars. And obviously they can't see everyone, but some people also wait twenty four hours just to get a glimpse of them, and they know that's all they're going to get, and they're happy to do that. It's just the power of these fandoms is so incredible, so Pedro and Meddessa and Joseph and Eben like the Fantastic for They also spent a lot of time like at the front, like doing all these like photos together, and they just really turned it on, like they know what the people want. They were all hugging. They stood in a group and they were like all hugging, whispering to each other and like Pedro was dancing for the crowd and cheering, like they know what the people want. Inside was just like no holds barred with the expense of the event, like crazy like Marvel and Fantastic four themed cocktails and treats and all this sort of crazy stuff. And it was so interesting because there was three cinemas, that's how many people were there. It still couldn't get tickets for people.
Speaker 3: It's a massive Usually when we're there there's like maximum two.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, so they had three and it was crazy.
Speaker 4: So when they came into our cinema, they like walked past me and they're all like like, wait on that crowd and.
Speaker 3: I have to talk about your grainy.
Speaker 2: Oh come on, no, it's a dark theater. What do you want for me?
Speaker 3: He's like, you took it on a Brick.
Speaker 2: I took it on the work phone.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: Just so you know, there was actually a bit of contention between Tina Burke and I are like the camera because Pedro came up and he like waved into the camera and said hello to me. And as they went past, like Joseph came over and said hello, like he waved into the camera. I was loving it because I was trying to get the content for work, but I also had my head downs. I'm like, don't look at me, don't look at me. I'm gonna interview you tomorrow, and I don't want you to think I'm a crazy fan.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Also, Emily just on that they're walking through a theater. It's dark.
Speaker 4: I tried to get content for the spillers. We posted it on our pages. What would you have done well?
Speaker 3: As my background is social media, I think I would have done a better job. But that's all I'm just saying. This is just my call out for Marble, Like if he wanted a good video, I was available, no geddy, ready to be behind the camera. I could have gotten you with them right.
Speaker 2: Well, I did what I could in the moment.
Speaker 4: Okay, they got up and they went into every different cinema and did like a little chat and everything, and they just seemed really over well. I'm so funny because Pedro walked into the cinema and he looked around and everyone is screaming and losing and these are media, so I was like, this is even the fans that were outside because most of them couldn't come in, but everyone else in the was losing their minds.
Speaker 2: And Pedro goes, nice theater, Yeah, nice theater. Nice mm hmm. I don't know what he was expecting, very well done. He just wanted to say something really lovely.
Speaker 4: And then he had this beautiful white shirt that was like also a bit see through so you could like prominently see his nipples, which is so hot. And then people were comparing him to like the scene in Pride and Prejudice when Colin Firth jumps in the lake and his top is see through, and I was like, you know what, this man just knows what the world wants from him. And as he walked out, he was trying to say goodbye and helloda as many people. That's the thing, like they're trying to say hello toa as many people as they can.
Speaker 3: I probably would have passed out if he looked me in the either way he looked you in the eye.
Speaker 4: Did you see he came so close to the camera that I didn't even have time to zoom.
Speaker 3: Him so close in the camera that you just see his like you just see his shirt shirty, That's what I mean. Like you didn't even move back with the camera.
Speaker 4: He's just like I didn't have time all of a sudden, Guys, I cannot tell you what it's like when all of a sudden, Pedro Pascal.
Speaker 2: Is coming towards you so close.
Speaker 4: We were so close our hands only touched, and I was seated and I had you know what I'm likek at a premiere and I had three glasses of wine next to me because also we had to wait for a million an hour for them to come. They spent so long doing the carpet to wait in the theater for milli an hour. So yeah, I had three wines and a popcorn and a chop top and he looked down at the Oh my god, Pedro Pascal looked at all my wines and he didn't say anything, say anything. He was like, this girl's not doing Yeah, he was like, this girl's not doing drive to I'm not going to comment on that. So, yeah, very intense event. And then and then the next day you had to interview them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah I did.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did I sleep that night?
Speaker 4: No? So I got to the junket, which is when they have visiting talents, this whole thing. Everyone's in this fancy hotel. You've got to you know, check in. Then you've got to go upstairs, and it's this whole thing of like you wait in this room, then you wait in this room, then you sit in the chair and the person in the chair is the next one going in, and you get timed from the moment you walk in the door and it's very quick turnaround, so you have a very short window of time. And for us it's so nerve wracking because some journalists go when they're just getting something for social but for us it's like we've got to get enough for a podcast, articles social and so it's a very intense experience. But my first interview of the day was with Joseph and Evan who in the film play Johnny Storm and The Thing. Yeah, and obviously they come from very beloved fandoms from The Bear and Strange Things, respectively, They've both obviously done so many other like big blockbuster movies or TV shows, so they have this huge fandom.
Speaker 3: I have a question because I know you've seen like little clips of the film.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so at the screening, that's the thing. They can't show the whole movie, so they showed twenty It was actually nearly thirty minutes of just different clips from the movie. It looks incredible.
Speaker 3: Do you think we get a good amount of screen time of Eben just looking like Eben?
Speaker 4: Again, I haven't seen the movie, but they showed clips of like the Fantastic Four when they're all astronauts going.
Speaker 2: Up into space how they get their powers.
Speaker 4: So I think you get some clips of him as Eben, but you also get a lot of him and like the full kind of rocks looking the thing. But they chose him because they wanted that character because he's going through a lot, like he's had this not just does he have powers like the rest of the but he has this huge physical transformation and he's the only one of the Fantastic Four who can't kind of blend into.
Speaker 2: Society with his powers.
Speaker 4: Every time he steps outside, it's like that's him, And so they wanted a character that could convey a lot of emotion through the special effects, which is why they picked Eben, and I think.
Speaker 3: He does a really good job of him. I'm so excited. So you interviewed first, Joseph and Eben. This is the interview. I'm so excited to listen.
Speaker 4: Well, it is so lovely to meet you both, and there's so much excitement for this film, and I wanted to start by asking you both. I think there's a bit of a misconception that sometimes people come to these movies because they want to see the action sequences or the stunts. But real fans know we come because we're so invested in the characters and we need to care about them. So I wanted to ask you both, what is the most compelling thing about your characters in the movie that is separate to the superhero powers that they have.
Speaker 6: I think there's something quite aspirational about Johnny. There's the kind of longing that he has a fascination that he has with space, of like maybe looking for answers in some way. I think he's very kind and loyal, and I think that that loyalty is shine in the film. He's a bit of a searcher, isn't he Yeah? I think so.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I love Ben.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Ben.
Speaker 7: Also again, like loyalty is something that I've really sort of latched on doing with him. I don't know so much of his internal state is because of what's happened to him, so it's hard to separate those things out. But yeah, a patience there, I think.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's lovely.
Speaker 4: And also something we see with your character that we've seen from the fan snippers that have been released is he has a bit of a love story and we're getting to see that side of his life. Can you give us a little sneak peak of how that's going to unfold in the movie? No? Oh, okay, well I thought I shoot my shot because that from the fan screening last.
Speaker 2: Night, that was one of the biggest cheers that came up for the audience. Really, it was my duty to.
Speaker 5: Ask you, oh, that's.
Speaker 7: My guard was going to be?
Speaker 2: Yes, I did.
Speaker 7: I've been through some rigorous medium.
Speaker 2: You're a vault, I understand.
Speaker 4: And speaking about the fan event last night, which was the energy there was just incredible, and I was talking to some of the people, some of them had lined up for thirty hours to see you come down the carpet. They had traveled into state, taken time off work, or quite emotional seeing you and I know you've both spoken about how grateful you are for the fandom of this movie. But what is that moment like when you're interacting with people, is there a sense of sort of responsibility to give them that moment that they've built up?
Speaker 6: So, I mean there's certainly a feeling of there's a reverence for their time and a gratitude for their support for the film. You're just mindful of that. You've got to be careful with people's enthusiasm and their investment. You know, we spent a lot of time hanging out with everyone last night and like signing stuff, and that's that's lovely. But I think more than having a responsibility to look after that moment, I suppose, Yeah, that's a very non answer.
Speaker 7: I feel responsibility one hundred percent.
Speaker 5: I feel like this.
Speaker 7: You know, I don't take that ad rage that. I don't take any of that that personally, that's not about me. That's about this family of this Marvel's first family that's been around since nineteen sixty one, and people have this relationship to that and this excitement about seeing us do this thing, and I feel like I honor that moment so much, and I try to meet the fans there and sort of join hands with them and on my own sort of like excitement about sharing this thing, you know.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I think that very much was the vibe last night.
Speaker 4: People seemed very grateful for your time, and I think people are also just loving seeing the four of you interacted these press events and at these premieres. And I know how closely you've worked together behind the scenes bringing this story to life, and so in that what is most interesting or surprising thing that you learned about each other when working on this project and spending all those long days.
Speaker 2: On set was interesting.
Speaker 6: I learned about Evans's taste, is how he's very spar and very well read. I trust his opinion on matters of art, cuisine and things like that.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I really lovely.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know what Sobri, I mean, I feel like I know Do so well at this point. You know, it's just like he's really I feel like I've known him forever, So I don't know, like do all. This guy's such a deeply talented character and you know, such a lovely person they get to hang out with.
Speaker 4: Pedre was telling everyone one last night that you were quite the chaos demon. He was saying behind the set and then set it on stage. Should you had a comment on that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, when you point a finger at somebody, you got three fingers pointed back at yoursel.
Speaker 4: Okay, I will ask him about that, Go and talk to him now. Well, thank you both so much for your time, so lovely to meet you, and I'm so sad to see the movie. Guys, I just need to Emily watch that interview just then for the first time, and she just made a gun with her finger and looked down at it with such a confused face.
Speaker 2: I don't know what you were doing. This is a podcast. You have to tell them what you just did.
Speaker 3: When then said, when you point a finger at somebody, you have three pointer back at yourself. I didn't understand that.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: Physically, you just made your hand into a little gun and you looked down. Yeah, because three fingers point back at.
Speaker 3: You for your thumb pointing to the God.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the funniest thing.
Speaker 4: So then I know that that sounded like inhectic in a way that I'm talking quite fast, even though I do all the time, and it's quick, but you have such a limited time with them, and there's so many no go areas about all of their personal life, which obviously but also about the movie. And that's why a lot of mone interviews, or rather with all of the cast over like the decades that they've been making these movies, are either very erratic and they're talking crazy, or they're being very subdued because they're just not allowed to say anything. Yeah, but it was so funny because when you go into these rooms, it's this whole big set where the talents sitting up on a stand and you walk up and you sit on the chair opposite them. All these lights and cameras and things, and then you go down behind the partition and you have to wait for a few seconds after your interview's finished, but you're out of sight from the talent to have the film crew hand you the tapes with your interview. So I'm staying there waiting to get my tapes, and I hear Evan go Chao Steamen, Chao Stemen Pedro called me a Chao Steamen, and he's so shocked, and I wanted to yell back. I wanted to stick my head back around the petition and say he said it on stage when you were there. The clips are everywhere saying it behind your back.
Speaker 3: What was really funny about those interviews is that your questions were so so good.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you.
Speaker 3: It's so stressful because you have literally it really took them by surprise, like some of them, like some of them were like yeah, they were like oh, I didn't even think of that, or like yeah, and I know, like in that moment, you're on a time limit. And every time they kept pausing, I.
Speaker 2: Was like, come on, is it. I'm like, yeah, I nearly. You can see my hand tapping on my leg a bit of the.
Speaker 4: Video because I'm like, boys, step it up, got.
Speaker 2: Two minutes, lego.
Speaker 4: But I should say maybe they sound a little stand offish in the clip there because they're very kind of low spoken.
Speaker 2: Man, they're a bit graft. They're both looking down a lot. I should say. When I walked into the room, they both stood.
Speaker 4: Up and shook my hand and Evan's like, nice to meet you, eb and Droves like, hello, is so nice to meet you.
Speaker 2: I'm Joseph.
Speaker 4: So that is really nice because a lot of celebrities don't even do that, like they're walking, they'll be like they won't even look at you until the camera starts. So I sometimes think that moment of like looking in the eye, shaking hands, like we're both human beings, we're both at work, which is what I also find when celebrities treat you bad, I'm like I'm at work.
Speaker 3: Also, Joseph could be going through something we've seen photo a Doja Cat with her new don't bring that, so you never know the people too.
Speaker 4: Also, I think he's often like Joseph especially skews more to being like I'm a serious actor kind of life. So I think the questions he liked the most. I saw his eyes kind of change.
Speaker 2: All of his.
Speaker 3: Interviews, even with casts and stuff, are or like he comes across it's a sensitive boy.
Speaker 2: He did that.
Speaker 4: And then I walked out of one room and I walked straight into the next room, which contained Vanessa Kirby and Pedro Pascal and so I walked into the room. They're sitting up on a platform. I walk over to them. They're both super lovely. As I walk into the room, they're sitting together on these chairs and Pedro's arm is wrapped around Vanessa and pretty much stayed there. I know she's living the dream. She's a beautiful, talented movie star, and Pedro Pascal is obsessed with her.
Speaker 3: And I also think he's obsessed with like every single person he works with.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I know, but I think this is particularly, like this bond is particular. And I also know he says he sometimes like because he gets nervous and interviews, he sometimes likes to be like holding or touching his co star if he's close with them, because it gives him a sense of like like an anchor in the moment, which I get. And I feel like he was very chatty. But I've gotta say Pedro Pascal a shy, sensitive man, and I almost kind of relate in a way because I feel like he's in his element walking down the red carpet and seeing all the fans and waving and smiling, because it's like he's performing to the masses and he's quite removed. But I sometimes feel like sometimes in an interview with a smaller setting, he can kind of come across like quite nervous, and I did feel that in the moment, so he was holding onto Vanessa.
Speaker 3: He's spoken about how he does have like social anxiety and like crowds and stuff like that. So if you do see him on red carpets or even in like those big like stage productions and stuff, if he has a female coast near him, he'll always be holding them. Yeah, and I think they know, Like there's been so many times where you see them also like grab his hand, Like there's this video of Vanessa Kirby where they're on a red carpet and she like takes his hand out of his pocket and like holds it. Yeah, And I think it's just it's such a nice to do for someone when you know how they feel in those situations.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, So it's the whole thing. So he's holding on to her. They both say hello to me and shake my hand. Yes, this hand has touched Pedro Pascal.
Speaker 2: I have not washed it. I have I sanitized it all the time, but my spirit it's there.
Speaker 4: Can I tell you one thing that makes all of this just so awkward for me personally, Like it looks so glam from the outside, but again, you're up on this raised platform, so the talent sit there and you have to walk up these little rickety stairs onto this platform and sit in your chair for a normal sized human. Lovely, wonderful you slip into the chair for me. Because I'm so tall, they often have to move all the cameras and mics, but that takes up my interview time, so instead of gracefully sitting down, I have to do a weird dip and bob which I've perfected over the years, and the junkid setting, I have to do a high nice to meet you, and then I have to do this weird thing and plot myself in the camera and then jerk my head back so that I don't hit my head on the cameras. And so every interview starts with me doing that. I said to them, and I say to everyone, I'm so sorry, tall girl problems, like I just have to And Vanessa Koby, who's also very tall, She's like, I get it, I get it, You're good.
Speaker 2: And then we started the interview and it is emotional here. It is so lovely to meet you both.
Speaker 4: And I think something that we've really loved seeing from the promotion of this movie and the press to her is this BOMD that the whole cast has. So I wanted to start by asking what was the most interesting thing that you learned about each other on the long days filming this movie.
Speaker 5: You you hush, Oh.
Speaker 2: I feel like you need to say something. This is a safe space. Look, yes, I am a grump. No, I'm a grump.
Speaker 1: No, listen. The only reason version no, it doesn't if I was.
Speaker 8: The least grumpy on this on what this prestol no on the movie.
Speaker 2: Fantastical or no.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: The only reason I love is because he is. Look at his smile. He doesn't stop smiling. He never stops smiling. And about I would say six pm. If we go into overtime, then he gets a little bit stupid. I'm very cranky, but that's the last time.
Speaker 5: And then it passes and then he faces.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna tell. I'm gonna tell the tree, I'm gonna tell. I'm gonna tell the absolute truth here. We had to do these like promo things. We were shooting all day long.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we were doing this longer.
Speaker 8: And and Joe and Vanessa they were popping off about the fact that we were going to have to wear exhausted, she's pregnant and the whole thing. And they get me all worked up. They get me all worked up, and my protective vibes get going, and then we and then we and then we get my my shackles are up and everything like that. And then we get there and I'm ready to like make it just go as fast as possible. And then the two of them are like, well, why don't we try.
Speaker 2: It like this? Or why don't we try it like that? Let's let's let's talk about this a little bit longer.
Speaker 5: And then heapy turtle.
Speaker 2: You and you said, don't get snuffy with me. I feel like I'm.
Speaker 5: With my finger my finger like that.
Speaker 4: Speaking in this interaction. Fans loved seeing you on the red carpet the fan event last night. I was talking to them someone people had been waiting for thirty hours to see you. They traveled, they were bursting into tears when they saw you.
Speaker 2: What is that moment like?
Speaker 4: And is there anyone in the industry that you've met that you would have that reaction to, that you would be that starstruck.
Speaker 8: There are a couple of people that I don't think i'd be able to. I wouldn't have been able to have met. Yeah, I couldn't have met Tina Turner. I couldn't have met I couldn't have no I couldn't have.
Speaker 2: I would have. I would have, I wouldn't.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 8: But there are certain people I made my religion. Yeah, yeah, speech help it sort of an early imprint in life.
Speaker 5: Yet be the King the other day, didn't you?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, I love him.
Speaker 1: Tell me the Spices girls for me when I was younger. Yeah, if I had met the Spice girls, I don't know what I would have done.
Speaker 4: I met Melcy the other day and I couldn't say anything. I'm still thinking about it. I understand still got.
Speaker 5: This mythological amazing.
Speaker 4: Exactly, And I want to ask you a bit of both about the evolution of your careers, because Vanessa, when you came to Australia in twenty seventeen, you were so generous with your time.
Speaker 2: You came into our office, remember exactly.
Speaker 1: Do you really the white doors, Yes, the big full white doors.
Speaker 4: I was not expecting you to remember it so long ago. You came into our office. You and I did a Facebook live on a tiny camera on the tiny chairs.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: When you walked in, I went my brain went, oh, I thought, I don't want to say in case you're like no.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, no, I was remember, yes, yes, yes, And months after that we called it the Vanessa Kirby Chair. But I remember at the time you speaking about after we did our podcast together, the stories that you wanted to tell and the characters that you wanted to play in your career. And now seeing you go from that huge moment to this moment, what has been the kind of most I guess surreal moment in your career that you thought, I can't believe this is happening.
Speaker 1: I actually think to do with this movie, the fact that I'm sitting here next to one of my favorite people in my life. No, I actually get emotional thinking about it because that is something that I had almost Now I am actually welling up. I had accepted that you're not always going to find your best best friends on things, you know what I mean, Like you might find it when you do theater when you were younger and on the Crown, we definitely had that, and I've loved everyone I work with. But this is something else. This is when this is a lifelong, very deep, very yeah. And I think maybe it's the magic of the comics and maybe match Adman's casting that he's put us together, matcha my favorite thing in the world, as Matcher and he just they're always on ex I spill it all over them all time.
Speaker 5: But anyway, but yeah, I think it's for me.
Speaker 1: The surreal moment is going into something that has this bigger fan base, okay, this bigger fan base, and that has so much love for it already, and we don't have to pretend. We don't pretend that we liked the experience, we liked each other.
Speaker 5: We are families, we actually are.
Speaker 1: And now we're in Sydney, around the world with you again saying here going oh my god, we're really lucky. And that is a huge pinching moment because I don't want to say it for granted, and I don't want to waste a second of it.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, it has been so beautiful to watch the roll out of this movie and just being there with all the fans last night and seeing everyone cheering and crying, and I love that we've got more weeks of that to come as the movie rails and rolls out. So thank you both so much for your time, so lovely to see you, and thank you so much. I know that's a kind of a quick ending there, but I can at stress enough how much I was getting wrapped up.
Speaker 2: I went slightly over.
Speaker 3: They were crying.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Again, I know it's a podcast, so you can't really see exactly what's happening, but we have put the full interview up on the Mummy YouTube channel, and we've put the clips up on our socials, so on the Spill podcast on Instagram, now on TikTok, And yeah, Vanessa started really welling up. Her eyes were so red, her mouth, you know how like you're trying to cry, your mouth is shaking a bit. And Pedro I could see behind his glasses as he was talking like his eyes were welling up.
Speaker 3: You can't they in the video. But then he takes his glasses off and wipes tears away.
Speaker 2: And he puts his head down and wipes tears away.
Speaker 4: And that's when, if you're listening back to that audio, when Vanessa goes, are you okay, Like she stops talking because she's like, he's crying, and you look at me and I'm like, oh my god, I'm crying.
Speaker 2: It was a lot.
Speaker 3: And then I can't believe she remembers you, And.
Speaker 4: That to me was well, so yeah, I'll set the story for that I should say I meant to ask that question to both of them, that little side thing of me being like, I've met you before. I did not think that was twenty seventeen. I did not think she was gonna remember, so I thought I was gonna ask that question to her and Pedro and I had a whole lead up for Pedro planned as well. But they just really ran with it and they were crying and then our time was up. So I think that was also better. But yes, in twenty to seventeen, Vanessa came to Australia for The Crown. She was playing Princess Margaret. It was a huge breakout role. The Crown was a huge show.
Speaker 2: But yeah, she came into the old Mamer office, so not the one we were in before we moved to this one, the one.
Speaker 4: Who before that, the office we met in. Yes, and I wasn't really doing here. I meant cute happened there too, so many memories in that building. Vanessa Kobe came into the office and was there for like nearly three hours.
Speaker 2: It was crazy. She came in.
Speaker 4: She and I hosted a Facebook live together. Remember that was the thing we did a Facebook live. Oh my god, I remember we did a Facebook live every day because that's what the platform needed.
Speaker 3: God, how are we not going and were only are scary?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, it was every day and again live we did one and so I hosted this one with her and I was barely even working in entertainment then. It was I think they just anyway they seen someone who could talk, and I was like this girl, and so she came in.
Speaker 2: We went to a Facebook life for like them. We met me five minutes.
Speaker 4: We went for nearly half an hour on that Facebook Life because we could not stop talking, the two of us, which like And then she had a lunch break and so she had in our office and so we hung out in her lunch break and like her hair and makeup team were doing like a hair and makeup or we're chatting, and then we went into that little like shed thing that we used to have in the office.
Speaker 2: Again, I can't believe we put.
Speaker 3: You had a celebrity guest in the shed.
Speaker 2: I know, but like we were so new at doing.
Speaker 3: Podcasting and stuff, and we just the shed knew better. It was like very glam and yeah, and so.
Speaker 4: She and I went there, we did a pod and we just we just really had like the most in had the interesting chat and that really stayed with me. And then that night Netflix through like a little party for her, and so I went to that with like a few other journals and she was so fun. She was like at the bar, just like chugging drinks with us and chatting. And I always remember that day and that like all that time we spent together, but I didn't think she'd remember. And it was actually quite emotional because I mean, they're crying in the interview and then it's over and we stand up, and as I stand up, Vanessa Kirby stands up, and we could have had this beautiful, seamless moment. But do you think in that moment, I remember the freaking microphone. I smashed my head on it.
Speaker 2: And she's like, are you okay.
Speaker 4: I'm like I'm fine, and then she then Vanessa Kobe leaned over and hugged me and she said, it is so lovely to see you again. I so remember that day, and I think I thought about it and then I said to her, it's so lovely to see you again because I feel like I'm gonna cry now. It's so lovely to see you again because I wasn't working in entertainment journalism when I had one mate, why am I crying? I hadn't worked in entertainment journalism. I was just starting to dip my toe at the time because I got hired at my mirror as the weekend editor to like be more news focused, and I just thought that was such a great experience, so ible to like watch your show and then talk to the person who's on it and get to like see the creativity and see what they did. And so I went into entertainment journalism full time after that, and so I was really nice to tell her that, and so we hugged and I told her that, and then I said to her, now I do this full time, and then we high fived, and then Pedro was like clapping for it.
Speaker 2: Was there. I'm still like my head's bleeding because I hit it on the mic and it was a little thing. And then I was like, Elves. It was so nice to me.
Speaker 4: And I walked out and one of the people who was traveling with them, like their head popists, was like, those are a good deal, and I was like, oh, thanks. I couldn't even say anything.
Speaker 2: And normally when you walk.
Speaker 4: Out of these things, you go and say goodbye to everyone, because like everyone in Sydney who works and media is there. I just grabbed my bag, I left and I went around the side at the hotel. There was staying into this like little alley wave that leads into the harbor, and I just.
Speaker 2: Like burst into deer because I think it was the build up and the whole day.
Speaker 4: It was the build up of everything. And then I stopped crying, I got no ruber and came to work.
Speaker 3: That interview was so like, it was so sure.
Speaker 2: I can't stress enough. How you literally have like five minutes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't believe we all just were like Vanessa, Kobe, Pedro, Pascal and I having this huge emotional moment in five minutes.
Speaker 3: It's insane that they like you moved them so much. You're with me like that whole interview is so well done, and I think you talking about what happened in twenty seventeen just like cemented her the idea for her that like where she was then compared to where she is now.
Speaker 4: I mean that's the only reason I brought it up, because I didn't want to be self indulgent. And again I didn't think she'd remember, but I just wanted to sort of say to her, remember when you just walked into her office on your first job, and you and I sat and like with the phone together, and she was really excited because she took this big job and she was like auditioning for other things that she hadn't got yet, and she was sort of saying to me, like I want to do this, and I want to do that and all this sort of stuff, and I was just like, look at you, like, look what you've done. It's incredible. So, yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: If you want to watch like the whole interview and watch every thing, it is up on our YouTube channel on Mama Mia. We'll put a link in our show notes, and yes, like you said, we'll also put a link to all of our social media is that you can watch the videos because it is so so good.
Speaker 4: I know, I've got the photo of Innessa and I that we took off my phone. Maybe I'll put that up too, so you can see how beautifully we've aged. But yes, also, after all this, the movie is still coming out next week. The premier's still happening. We haven't even gone to the movie. Yeah, the Fantastic Four First Steps is coming out in cinemas in Australia on July twenty four.
Speaker 2: Make sure you see it. We're gonna go see it. We're gonna be excited.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 2: Give you our.
Speaker 3: Thoughts and give us stick. Please, thank you so much for listening to the Spill today. Do not forget to follow us on TikTok at the Spill podcast. The Spill is produced by Militia Swine with sound production by Scott Stronik. And we'll be back here on your podcast speed for a weekend watch tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Bye bye, Lan