Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mother with mea podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to biz Inbox. I'm em Vernon.
Speaker 3: And I'm Michelle BATTERSWI.
Speaker 2: These bizz Inbox episodes are our very own ask us anything, so it's your chance to get free career advice, learn how to navigate tricky colleagues, and ask a gun entrepreneur like Mish not me, sorry about your small business or just bit about your boss. I'll be in there for that one. We'd like to hear those two. And also the best part is that you can choose to be completely anonymous.
Speaker 3: M This week, I'll tell you if it's okay to quit a job before you start, if the circumstances have changed. Plus, we have a dilemma which every woman has faced at some time. I bet. But first, M, I saw this on TikTok the other day and I want your thoughts. Is it through? Are gen z scared of the phone?
Speaker 1: Gen zs are now taking classes on how to make phone calls? So it's called telephobia, and it's a fear or anxiety around making and receiving telephone calls. Seventy five percent of them say they never answer a phone call. But this is causing problems for when employers reach out for interviews or gen zs have to make a phone call to make a dentist appointment or something, and many students struggle with phone interviews because they haven't had their chance to practice.
Speaker 2: Okay, I watched this TikTok as well, and I feel like we've been having this conversation about gen z being scared of phone calls for a really, really long time now, and I think it boils down to, Firstly, I don't think it's all gen zs, Like I know some people who can talk on the phone for hours, they're definitely not scared. Some of them should be scared, And I think it boils down to a lot of gen zs getting into the workforce for the first time and actually not being told how to navigate these kind of conversations. Because a lot of us, in our private lives, we don't on the phone. It's all just instant messaging, whether it's on Facebook, Messenger, WhatsApp, or messages. So the first time we actually have to have a proper formal conversation is when we're interviewing for jobs. And because a lot of us don't have practice calling people or like having a big conversation over the phone. It's turned into this weird thing of like older generations making fun of gen zs for not being able to talk on the phone. But I'm like, you guys and teacher, so how are we meant to know? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I also just think it's like a universal generational like bashing of the younger generation type thing, where it's like, well, back in the day when they transition from letter writing to the phone, like, were people Yeah, I'm.
Speaker 2: Sure you guys were awkward. Whoever, Like, is anyone here who's listening, who's like went from letter writing to phones for the first time.
Speaker 3: I also feel like there are so many jobs where you don't even need being able to speak on phone as a skill, like you do so much from behind your computer. It is written people are building companies using chat GPT these days, where they're now not even writing emails for themselves. I also think there's a bit of everyone communicates differently anyway, just as human beings, Like some people are really strong I don't even know if this is the right word, like verbal communicators out loud, and other people are more written. Other people are more visual, Like even the way we learn, And I think as a business owner or manager, it's also kind of your responsibility to learn how different people work best and how they like to communicate. And I also think in terms of interviews, I've seen a lot of this conversation on LinkedIn lately, actually people getting really shitty about like the sorts of interviews that engineers are put through, for example, where they have to complete live coding tasks and challengers.
Speaker 2: Wait in front of people yes yes, no.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and people saying like how unfair that is because they're obviously put under so much pressure and they've kind of got people watching, you know, like how they're problem solving, and it means there's a certain type of person that's getting through that round. But you might actually be eliminating some really brilliant people in the process. And I think that can happen as well if you just have like a rigid approach to any kind of interview. And I mean I've interviewed young people before where I can sense like they are fucking terrified on the phone, and I try to really like look through that, like I can tell this person's nervous. I can tell maybe they haven't done this many times before. But do I see, you know, potential in them underneath the fact that they're not really like coping with the environment right now, and like actually offering a bit of grace because to your point, like especially the people that you know graduated school through COVID, went to university through COVID, like it has affected people's entry into the workforce.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, oh, that's such a good answer, because that question really annoys me so much. I start yelling at people. Get on the phone right now. I can do it. I can show you. So we got this anonymous DM on our instagram, so if you want to submit any questions, please follow us at biz by Mama Mia. And it's an interesting work dilemma, Mitsha. I'm not actually sure what side you'll take on it, but Anonymous said, recently I landed a new role. It was a great opportunity, good career progression with the manager who I really resonated with in the interviews. I handed in my notice at my current job. However, the big boss at my new role has let me know that my manager has now resigned. I am really conflicted because I have already given my notice. I can't go back to my previous role. And I'm concerned I won't have a mentor in my new role and I will just have to absorb all of their responsibilities and will be super overwhelmed this question. I actually have no idea what this person should do, do you.
Speaker 3: It obviously is playing on their mind quite a bit. I think this is something that they can get ahead of, though, and they can get clarity on, Like I wonder if they have spoken to the hiring manager or this boss and actually voiced their concerns, because I think they're very valid questions for this person to ask, Like who will I be reporting into now? Is you know that role going to be replaced? Is there a manager in a similar role that can kind of guide me and be my point of contact in the meantime? Who will be my point of contact? How many other people are on the team, and like how is this manager's work being absorbed. I think there's also like a bit of a blessing in the sense that this person will be starting pretty close to the same time, like a manager is also navigating things, and they might actually like have a bit of a bond. There might be some camaraderie there as well.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: In the back of my mind. I'm also like, well, they said I can't go back. I'm like wondering if they actually could go back to their past job if they actually wanted to. Like, I don't know if I would really count that out as an option because it kind of depends on the circumstances. It depends on how they resigned, it depends on the relationship they have with people. But like I had someone resign once and then change their mind, and I was like, Yeah, no worries, you can come back. It was like a situation that I could understand. I think, really they just need to have some conversations and it'll really put their mind at ease because I think they'll probably be able to get the sorts of answers that they want. And their fear might be based on assumptions at the moment in terms of not having that manager, but I'm assuming they also didn't have a relationship with that manager as well, so like it's not like that's being lost or maybe that manager was the sole reason why they took the job. You know, there's kind of a lot here that I don't know, But I don't think it's weird for this person to have conversations with the boss and the hiring manager and try to get some clarity on a few things, like as they're still working out their notice period, I wouldn't like one hundred percent shut the door on their past workplace as well, But that also depends on a lot that I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so true, because like maybe the job will be better now, Like you don't know. It's a lot of like what ifs. But I think that's a really good answer, And yeah, I would go back to my workplace or even just say I'm not sure what's happening with my new role. Do you mind if I extend working here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, or like, hey, something that I just could not have predicted occurred with this offer, and it's no longer feeling right for me, and you know the reasons why I resigned, Like it depends on that.
Speaker 2: This next question, I feel like I have a deeply unpopular opinion on it, so I want.
Speaker 3: To gain thoughts on Wait, I want to know what yours is because I feel like the answer is so obvious.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, no care. But anyway, if we got this question and it said, I want to know if it's okay to work from the hairdresser. I cannot fit a three hour hair appointment in my schedule as a busy single mum, and I have an appointment next week. I have no meetings in that time, and we'll work on email and slack the whole time in the chair. But my managers have a habit of video calling for a chat with questions, and I don't want to get in trouble for being on camera with a head full of foils, but as I'm working the whole time, is it okay? So I read this and I was like, yeah, surely, if you're doing your work, you can be at the hairdressers. But then I did think about how her managers call while she's in the chair, And firstly, no one looks good at the hairdresser, So firstly they're gonna be like what, and then they're gonna be like, oh, you're at the hairdressers. Personally, if I were to be at the hairdressers while working, I would ask my manager and just be like, hey, I can't get an appointment any other time, is it fine if I just go to the hairdressers while I'm still like writing or working doing my work there, Because it's like a really long appointment, just so if they do call, they're not going to be shocked by where you are. I think the jump scare of like doing it without telling them you're doing it, and then them seeing you on camera like that, I think that's a bit of a no go for me.
Speaker 3: It's honestly so interesting because your perspective and even like your kind of hesitancy around needing to ask permission to do this has just highlighted the tension of like the modern day workforce for me, Like we are currently recording a podcast from our homes, you know, like we've given advice on how to build a network remotely. We're all in hybrid jobs where we work from home, and like we're trusted to do our work. It should not matter at all if you work from the hair dresser. Really, yes, Like why does that matter? And it only matters if people have really traditional, outdated views on what productivity looks like. And it only matters if someone views productivity as sitting behind your desk, Like for me to be productive, I must sit in this chair. But as a society, we've already like debunked that with the whole Like you can work from home, you can have flexible work arrangements, Like we already know that people should be trusted to be able to do their job from their living room, so why can they not be trusted to do their job from the hairdresser, where if you're a woman and you're going blonde, or maybe you're a guy, you're going to be trapped there for five hours, and yeah, it's a really boring and I find like the hairdresser a very productive place to get stuff done because you're just trapped and there's really nothing else to do other than be on your laptop. So I think it is one hundred percent fine to work from the hairdresser. And if you've got a manager who has an issue with that, it's actually like a them problem. Sorry to any manager who has an issue with it. I do think you should definitely be transparent about it. I'm going to the hairdresser on Friday. I'll be there for five hours, and my calendar is blocked for five hours and it literally says hair appointment. And I just won't take any meetings in those five hours because I know, for me at the hairdresser, I'm not going to be able to get on calls like that's something I'm not going to be able to do, but I'm going to be able to do a whole bunch of other things. And so it's scheduled on a day Fridays, where like people don't really put meetings in anyway, you know, yeah. I just think it's like you're kind of like feeding into the narrative as well, if like you're hiding it from your boss, like it's making it a bigger deal than it is. I would probably like just check that you've got the kind of manager who like, is it a dinosaur, I'm like gonna offend people?
Speaker 2: So is it more like not really asking, it's more just saying, hey, I have like a free day of just like deep work on Friday. Some of it I'm going to be doing at the hairdressers, just letting you.
Speaker 3: Know yeah, or like, hey, I was planning to go through like this is and this on Friday. Also really need to book a hair appointment in. Is that something you're okay with? Like just for the first time, I would ask permission like that and then you kind of know, all right, this person's fine with it, and then I just continue to do that. But I would block it in your calendar like every single time. It's not something that you're hiding. Why would you need to hide it. You're still productive and it's a great place to work from.
Speaker 2: Ooh okay, I like this. Oh my god, I actually do need a hair appointment.
Speaker 3: So I find it funny when people have an issue with that one. What else are you meant to do?
Speaker 2: Oh? Maybe I'm just like a prude. Maybe like if I were to call someone and there other hairdressers would be like interesting.
Speaker 3: See, but that's your condition. That's why there's this like tension point because I think we all still battle a little bit with traditional optics of productivity being I must be sitted at a desk to work productively, but we've got people sitting at coffee shops. You know, We've got people replying to emails whilst they're on a bus. Like it's a modern world, and like we embrace it in so many ways, Like why can we not embrace the hairdressers in the same way?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Okay, that's so true. I want this person to do the hairdresser and then tell us how it went, and also send photos of your hair.
Speaker 3: I want to start a trend where everyone is taking like work from hairdresser Selfies.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for helping us clear the biz in box. If you have a work question, please send it our way. You can find a link to submit your questions in our show notes and you can put your name on it, or you can be completely anonymous. It's completely your choice.
Speaker 3: And if you missed any of our episodes, just scroll back in your feed. We'll be back in the busy box next week.
Speaker 2: Bye Cia. Mamma Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on