Speaker 1: Welcome to the Seize the Yay Podcast. Busy and happy are not the same thing. We too rarely question what makes the heart seeing. We work, then we rest, but rarely we play and often don't realize there's more than one way. So this is a platform to hear and explore the stories of those who found lives They adore, the good, bad and ugly. The best and worst day will bear all the facets of Seizing your Yea. I'm Sarah Davidson or Spoonful of Sarah, a lawyer turned funentrepreneur who swapped the suits and heels to co found Matcha Maiden and matcha Milk Bar. Ces Ya is a series of conversations on finding a life you love and exploring the self doubt, challenge, joy and fulfillment along the way.
Speaker 2: Hello, Lovely yighborhood.
Speaker 1: As promised, we are back with the fresher Years of our Lives chat after a million years pretty much. I cannot believe we actually managed a guest interview, and this in one week after such a long drought. Having said that, though I am needing to listen to my own advice more than ever lately, that done is better than perfect because there are so many things we didn't get to. There are so many things I wanted to say but didn't. I didn't express myself as eloquently as I meant to insert other self criticism here. Lots to adjust to over the last few months, but very glad we are at least back and getting into things again. And to be fair, we were pretty chaotic before anyway, So I guess you're all conditioned, and I'm so grateful that you are all still here, regardless. I can't say how many times we've postponed this one. Then we actually lost the first recording because of a corrupted memory card, and we didn't even finish that one anyway, And then this one got interrupted towards the end by the little Teddy having a teething moment and ended up being recorded in two parts. But I realized, if I wait for the perfect conditions, he'll pretty much be a teenager before we resume the show again. So hopefully pushing Through is a reminder to you guys of a theme we've always loved, of letting go of perfection and finding some yay in the mess. We had a good old time and covered some things that we actually hadn't asked each other before over the past couple of months, and has always recorded our cat chaps in real time. We didn't do any of these chats beforehand. I love giving you guys a little snippet. It's always so nice when friends ask you questions that you wouldn't otherwise reflect on, and sitting down for these chats really gives us the chance to stop and take a moment and yeah, like you'll hear. We actually hadn't had this chat about whether or not our friendship had changed since Little Teddy arrived, so I found it really interesting.
Speaker 2: I hope you guys do too.
Speaker 1: I hope it brings you a smile and maybe even a laugh, and we will be back.
Speaker 2: With more soon. Hi viim, hi bim.
Speaker 3: Ready okay, okay, okay for full transparency everyone. We actually recorded this three weeks ago, and we had the funniest conversation because we were both so like it was a drought. We both just missed speaking. I can't speaking speaking, And then we spoke for like an hour and ten minutes and we were laughing at the most stupid things, as we do. And then the week after Sarah's like.
Speaker 1: We lost the file file. I'm not actually sure whether it's a good thing that we lost the file or a bad thing that we lost it. Like I kind of am devastated that we can't share the joy, the pure joy of our effee catch up.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: It was all about the in like the weirdest way possible, because we obviously don't celebrate the end of financial year, but we just made a whole thing of it, and it just kept coming back.
Speaker 3: In hindsight now that you said, I'm like, yeah, that sounds really lame, like the fact.
Speaker 2: That we were laughing about the effee no believe the word.
Speaker 1: I mean, I hope that people listening along understand our sense of humor because otherwise, like, none of these episodes make any sense or would be enjoyable to anybody else. So at least we're having fun.
Speaker 3: I think it came up because we were like, oh, you know, it's been so long since the last one, what truly is the milestone now? And then one of us was like, ef ef Teddy's first.
Speaker 1: You know how people take those photos with their babies and it says like one month, two month, three months might not be like, so, guys, you're getting a sample of what the episode was how did we.
Speaker 3: Get back to Efie. The joke went for like thirty minutes.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously it's still going like three weeks later, but I feel like that's kind of symptomatic of why it's taken so long to get back to the show. And I've missed you guys so much. I'm so proud that we've managed to get a new guest episode out somehow after literally like ten weeks or maybe more. I think it's been maybe more than ten weeks. But the reason is it's obviously taken us three weeks to re record the same episode because mum life was chaos.
Speaker 2: Chaos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we truly haven't done a catch up since you've become mom other than the birth story. But then again, I feel like that was like so day zero of this journey, that you haven't actually really spoken about mum life since then, and it's been three four months. So I had to count on my fingers and I was like, what four months.
Speaker 1: That's like it's like me going element op every time I have to like say the alphabet, I'm like element.
Speaker 3: Four months been of you being a mum.
Speaker 1: Oh my god blows my mind. Still, I still can't believe it.
Speaker 3: How has it been?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, it's been the most incredible, like definitely my favorite chapter of my life so far.
Speaker 2: By Miles.
Speaker 1: I look back at even like looking back at the episode, so I think just before I had Teddy or before before he came by surprise, we did a final episode pre mallehood, and that was like two or three episodes ago. I can't actually identify anymore with who that person is, because now that he's in my world, the whole world that he wasn't in doesn't really make sense anymore. Like I can't actually remember the person I was before I was his mum. It's just so weird that you spend your entire life in one identity and just four months later I reckon even like within a couple of days, I couldn't imagine me without him.
Speaker 2: It's just so weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but weirdly at the same time, actually, maybe not weirdly. I think it's testimate to you is that you're still actually the same person as in from an outside of looking in as a friend, you are the same like airy fairy but also not loser, funny like a person as you Elie, Like, well, we still love at the same stupid things. Yeah, I thought that maybe, you know, like would change in a way, not not in a bad way or anything, but I imagine, like, you know, sometimes you don't have the same energy that you might have before. But truthfully, every time that I've seen you, you actually have the same energy, even if it's like less. So it's not like dull. It's still like, oh my god, hype him. Let's lie on the couch. Like it's that kind of change of energy. But it's not. It's not different in terms of life. Lie down. It's not different. Like it's not like, yeah, like we hang out horizontal now, but that's fine.
Speaker 1: As if we didn't already catch up to just rest together anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's true. It's true. And every time I come over, I'm like, just like, you know, it's like real chial vibes, right, And so I was like, yeah, I know, I'm like, no, no to the pot.
Speaker 2: We're gonna lie down together.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Like the other day I came and Nick's like, Sarah's a sleep and I was like, and so I just went and watched the footy while you're sleeping, Like I didn't. I was like, I don't care.
Speaker 1: Boring guys interrupting for like a random tangent because tangents are our favorite thing on the show, and came over the other day ate an entire wheel of brea. I had like some random barbecue shapes, and then like an apple and just left, like and Nick came downstairs like three days later. I was like, did ang eat the entire wheel of bree and then just go home? I was like, yeah, I think she did.
Speaker 3: I actually did. I think I was there for about twenty four minutes and it takes me like an hour to ride there, and I stayed for like twenty four minutes. I ate a whole sour dough bread for some reason, put bree on it, and then ate some mission chips and then left. And then I didn't really think anything of it. And then Nick, obviously I had been thinking about it for days, and he messaged me and he went, days, did you seriously come to my house eat all of my food then leave?
Speaker 1: No, it was the fact that it was a whole wheel of breath.
Speaker 3: And then it goes no, he goes, did you come to my house, make my baby cry, eat all of my food and leave? I said yes, And.
Speaker 2: He's like, what the f yes, correct.
Speaker 3: It's like, yes, your memory serves you right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so lovely. Like you just said before that I haven't changed. We actually haven't discussed. And this is why I love the neighborhood because they often hear things the first time that we've actually ever chatted about them. Like we save our catch ups for you guys. We don't have them first and then reh them recording. Often it's like the very first time we've had this conversation. So we have caught up AND's had some beautiful times with Teddy. Obviously she was like the first person who came over and the main person who because your family, like you've been over since day one and seen all the mess and like all the highs and all the lows and everything, but we've not had time outside of that to actually chat about what you expected, how it's felt like as a friend from the outside. So that's the first time that I've heard your reaction actually true.
Speaker 3: Like we I guess our chat's always around Teddy and how Bee is getting and how cute he is, like all day long to Bobo, they're not even sentences. It's like on to buy as a coach, I'll look at him. So it's oh, and this goes for about two hours and then I'm like, okay, bye, good to see you. Like it's so stupid, but as well, it's true. I do feel like you truly haven't changed as a person, as a personality, as an energy sauce weirdly even though. And it's funny because the other day, remember you were like, Bim, I am normally really bad when I'm sleep deprived, but I have been sleep deprived for four months and I'm the same. I was like, you know what, that's actually pretty true.
Speaker 2: Tickets. Yeah, so used to get like.
Speaker 3: Maybe seven hours instead of eight and be like, pretty, you're like nas hitting me and then you need to have like a really a big sloth day or something, but you just haven't. You just can't. Now really, you've been doing really well, I.
Speaker 2: Think, oh, thanks, Bim.
Speaker 1: And it's funny because just before we started recording, I already had like one of the things that I've had to navigate that's been like all of it has just been absolutely magical, and all the compromises and challenges are absolutely worth it. But there have been a lot of adjustments, and one of them has been the inability to plan things like to plan guest episodes or any kind of recording or meeting that isn't flexible. And so today I literally said, don't come over to record in person because I just don't know, especially in the afternoons, if he'll be amenable to it or not. And we've canceled like five days in a row. Actually it's been three weeks, but even just this week, we've canceled five days in a row.
Speaker 2: Because you're not.
Speaker 1: Really sure, particularly for an audio recording versus say snippets of you know, a video on Instagram is a bit different because it doesn't require like a live conversation, but an hour recording, I don't always know that I can commit to that, and that kind of really worries me because I was feeling really bad. It was like, you know, the times you've come over and have canceled, I feel like I've wasted your time. And it's been hard for me to not be able to be the same a friend to a lot of my friends because your capacity and reliability, it actually doesn't depend on you anymore. So it's like I still have those values that I want to be on time and I want to be reliable, but out of my control, I actually can't be, which is like a weird adjustment because you don't want to have to apologize all the time because you know it's they should understand that it's part of being a mum. But at the same time, you're like, but I wish I wasn't doing that to you because I know your time is you know, precious as well. If that's been one of the interesting parts, I.
Speaker 3: Think that's a good saguity. On to the topic of what have your main challenges? Well, we don't really have time today to go through all the questions, which we will in the next episode. It was more so touching base or asking you what your challenges have been since having Teddy. And obviously there's I think there's every day is a challenge in itself because you've never had this day before. Every day is like a completely new experience, particularly with Teddy. But that was actually one you've never spoken about for like, if you had to maybe list three biggest or most obvious challenges that you've had to kind of experience, what would they be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great question, and I think I've been really conscious of I was a little bit harder at the start, but I've really been conscious of when sharing along the way. I've tried to really keep up or not tried it. I mean, it's so easy to share your baby when you're just obsessed with him, because it's obviously perfect and I love him so much. But sharing on socials, like sharing every milestone and every magical new moment and how much motherhood has just been transformative and special and amazing. I've tried to share that, but then also not forget even though it is really hard to capture content because you know you're raising a human, to also try and share the really hard bits as well, so that no other parent watching gets a skewed view, Just like I have always with bloops, I've tried to kind of not just show the really beautiful bits because it is extraordinarily difficult. It's a huge lifestyle change. It is sleep deprivation, it's new responsibility that's relentless, that starts now and goes until they're independent, like at eighteen or older. You know, it's such a dramatic change. I don't think you ever really go through anything quite as transformative that happens overnight. Like maybe you go through changes that are gradual or that kind of you know, you have a bit of you can ease in, but you kind of can't with parenthood, like you're either not a parent or then the next morning you wake up and.
Speaker 2: You're a parent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's just like this tiny human. So I've tried to show the days that are harder as well as all the beautiful moments. And I think if I had to pick the three biggest ones, it's getting a lot better now. But honestly, the first bit was just the physiological challenges. So sleep deprivation is something else, Like you thought that you'd been tired beforehand, but it is. There's a reason that they say it's like being alcohol impair. Your mood is different, your ability to be rational is different, especially when you've got hormones on top of it, you know, getting perspective on things like I would you know, get a paper cut or something and then like just cry for like four hours about my paper cut because like you're tired.
Speaker 2: It's not because you care about it, You're just exhausted.
Speaker 1: So I think learning a whole new person in terms of both the baby and yourself and your partner, you're all becoming new people. And try to have grace and patients through that while you're also tired and at your worst. That's really really hard, So that's been one of the biggest challenges.
Speaker 3: That's actually the thing I'm like the most scared of when I ever have kids is like the person that I am when I'm sleep deprived, and also the patience your partner needs to be able to understand that it's sleeped reprivation and that it might be there for a while and you kind of have to get through that together. That's like my greatest fear. I'm like, Yeah, I don't know what kind of person I am when I'm like that exhausted, and I don't know how long my partner has to be patient with it, and what if they can't do it for long time and then it's like they hate me. But these just because I've slept for one hour or not.
Speaker 1: That's such an interesting fear for you to have. That is really fascinating. I wouldn't have picked you to even think, like, because you don't worry about sort of stuff that isn't immediately in your right now, Like you don't get hung up on stuff that's really theoretical. But that's so interesting and I definitely had that, But at the same time, you're so caught up in having your own patients as well. For this tiny human that is the one that's causing all of the challenge, and that they're crying and you're sort of thinking, well, you don't want to be crying either, So you're already kind of drawing from the depths of the most patients. You need to sort of understand that they're not doing it on purpose, and the hormones as well. That just kind of help you through it, and the love and magic that comes with it when they do give you a smile or when you do watch them learn a new skill. Yeah, it's funny. It's in isolation. If you just right now, if I tried to simulate the sleep deprivation on you, you would turn into like, probably not the best version of you. But if you had all of the other things around you in context, it's different. I don't know why. It's also because you have no choice, but there's enough. Yeah, you're getting a lot of oxytocin and dopamine from other things as well, Like I'm lucky enough to be breastfeeding, and that gives you a huge amount of happy hormones. His smile lights up the entire world. One of those can get you through like an entire day, you know. It's just there's enough ups further downs. So yeah, physiological was one, and definitely I think I've spoken about a few times. The nipple pain from breastfeeding was the other physiological one at the start, which is totally calm down now, But I was not prepared for that, and I don't think anyone speaks about it enough.
Speaker 3: No one speaks bad enough.
Speaker 2: It's wild, Like I didn't.
Speaker 3: Know about it until you said, and I was like, who.
Speaker 2: Like bawling my eyes out.
Speaker 1: And I have a really high pain threshold, to the point where I actually thought this level of pain is unnatural.
Speaker 2: I should stop.
Speaker 1: Whereas now because I've pushed through in your skin, I was actually have to toughen up. I can't even feel it. So it's just there's so much that has surprised me about the human body. So the second one would be, yeah, the time. So as someone who has traditionally been a obviously part of seizing the a for me, manifests make the most of every single second of the day and like squeeze in everything you can and obviously burn out a little bit, but generally just to make the most of the time that I have. And it's been a huge adjustment to I want to spend all my time just on Teddy. If I could just spend all day, every day for the rest of ever, only focusing on him and his growth and development and well being and just chatting with each.
Speaker 2: Other, it would be the happiest life ever.
Speaker 1: But obviously there's work, and there's like your own personal hygiene and like life admin and your partner and your friendships and your family. You really go from having twenty four hours a day to choose what you do and divide it between the pie chart of your life to like seven minutes is yours. Like the whole rest of the day is consumed by feeding them, burping them, getting them to sleep, changing them, shopping for them, appointments like in the first little while, there's like an appointment every day, doing the admin of like putting them down for birth certificate schools. Like it is so much that at the end of every day you literally maybe have like twenty minutes to fit in all your phone calls to your friends, let alone visits, let alone you know, showering, feeding yourself, doing your own life, admin work, Like you just have so little to work with suddenly, and yet you still want to be the same good friend, the same good partner, the same good daughter, the same but you just got to fit it into nothing. And that's really hard because some days I'm just like, how did I get a really important message from a really good friend and fourteen hours later I haven't replied to them yet, Like how? But the day just gets away from you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you were saying last time, also is that this is a kind of miss sinceptions from people that have maybe don't have kids, or maybe the working partner that the baby sleeps all day and then so therefore you must have so much time. But we were talking about the fact that yes they might sleep a lot, but in that time, the certainty of the length of they're sleeping is like there's no certainty. So they could wake up in ten minutes, they could wake up in fifteen, or they could wake up in two hours. And it's that needing to be on like on call at all times that's difficult. It's like being a doctor overnight. You know, some nights, yes you might not get but you have to be on call, so you kind of have to be on So therefore you don't really get a break, Like you can't schedule a shower because in that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something might happen.
Speaker 3: What if he wakes up, or you can't like start cooking some great meal because then he might start crying or needing a feed or whatever. You have time. You don't have time. Really, you don't have control of your time, unless what you were saying to the other day is like, yeah, totally, there's so much sleep time, but somehow I don't have time.
Speaker 1: It's just that you don't know when it is. Whereas most things in life depend on you being able to like tell someone to meet you at a particular time, so you end up not scheduling the catch up at all because you're like, I've got two hours, but just when is that two hours? Unless they live around the corner from you and also work the same hours as you, it's like really really difficult.
Speaker 2: So logistically I feel like, is that's that's really hard.
Speaker 1: But I've honestly like such a dramatic change, and for someone who's like traditionally been quite a control freak and certainty loving person, it has just been such a natural, enjoyable, like I just live.
Speaker 2: To be his mum. It has been.
Speaker 1: I've enjoyed it so much, even the really hard bits, I've just felt like it surprised me. I thought I would find it harder.
Speaker 3: You were so strong. No butter. Also, but you've been talking a lot about work, which I don't think that many mums are talking about work at this stage of you know, post partum life. But how has it been picking up a couple of jobs. Did you think you were going to pick up jobs this early and how has that been for you? Hm?
Speaker 1: Great question. I haven't covered that as much. I don't think great questions. Question, But you haven't asked me these questions like I didn't know you were going to ask with them.
Speaker 2: So true, it's a.
Speaker 1: Really interesting one I thought. I mean, you guys all know the story of leaving corporate. I haven't regretted it or missed the corporate structure at all since I left like ten years ago. I thought the first time I might is now when I don't get structure, maternity leave that's paid, that I have the certainty.
Speaker 2: Of going back to a job, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Interestingly, I haven't experienced that, which I feel incredibly lucky for because at least for my personality, I mean, everyone's different. I would find taking twelve months off completely and having zero and then going back to one hundred percent overnight. I would find that really difficult. Whereas I'm so grateful that now my work is so flexible that I took six weeks off of absolutely no work. I didn't have to check my email, I didn't have to do anything. I didn't have to look at my phone or know what day it was. But when I say I went back at six weeks, I mean I went back for an hour a week, Like I'm so fortunate that I could do an hour of radio, and then the next week I did one shoot for the TV show for two hours and one radio show for one hour, so it was like three.
Speaker 2: Hours a week.
Speaker 1: I didn't go back one hundred percent, and that allowed me to like dip my toe in the water and then ramp up when I felt like I was getting a bit more used to leaving him or taking him with me or whatever it was. And again so grateful that the people I work with were also really flexible to that, Like the TV show came to our house so we could film at home, and in that way, I never sort of have had that big guilt of going straight back to an office. You know, I work from home, so also wasn't like I had to leave him or miss any of his development or anything like that. So I feel extremely lucky that. And my husband also works from home, and so there's always four hands. We're always a teen. There's two of us, so even if one of us is working or both of us are working, we're in the house together. So none of us had to leave Teddy really early, or it's just worked out really well that my work identity didn't really have to have this long hibernation and then there's really awkward awakening where I got really nervous or uncomfortable. That identity has just kind of coexisted and stayed there, which also means that I haven't experienced the loss of self that I think a lot of mums do because I haven't had to go all in or all out, which again, not everyone can. And I'm incredibly grateful that the people I work with have also allowed that to happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I honestly think it normalized mums wanting to go back to work. Because I think you and Chris did a very similar point. I think she he's got too under two, but I had Gracie only like four weeks after you. But even she, similar to you, has like it's itchy to work or do stuff again. But I think at the same time she feels slightly maybe guilty that she feels that way, like that she doesn't want to spend every second of her life with a baby. Or I'm like, you have every right to want to work and create and achieve things as well, Like it doesn't have to completely stop. So I think it's like cool to watch two different people navigate that and how they navigate that. I feel like we should normalize because I'm sure a lot of moms want to go back earlier than maybe the norm is or what the average is. But some might feel like, oh, you might get a bit of backlash, you know, to be like, oh, like they're gone too early, or or they should have spent longer with their child or whatever, which I don't think is ever necessarily fair because there's two, it's a partnership at the end of the day, you know.
Speaker 1: Well, Also, one of the things that has been really interesting is sometimes you think that really far along in terms of gender equality and traditional roles and women having careers and all that kind of thing. You think we have come a very very long way, but every now and then something happens and you're just.
Speaker 2: Like, are we still there? Like is that really what we're facing?
Speaker 1: So an amazing woman, Jesse Marshall, who is a founder and owner of high HQ, an amazing PR firm, who I work with often. She's in a little mother's group that I have on Instagram where we all had babies around similar time and are in a similar industry, which really helps. So we kind of all get that we have more flexible work arrangements, and a lot of us went back earlier than the average woman. Jesse didn't take any maternity leave because she owns her own business.
Speaker 2: Wow awesome, and.
Speaker 1: You know, in the area I would love to be like, don't worry, babe, Like you're not going to get any backlash the modern woman whatever. It literally went all over the news how much backlash she got for it because people were just like, don't you love your baby? You love your child, Like, what what do you mean? And also the fact that her husband would never ever, like ever get that kind of questioning if he went back to work straight away, but separate to that, even without the gender roles, even like taking all of that out of kind of the equation. The biggest thing I've learned is like, just shut up, because no parent is the same as anyone else, Like everyone's balance. There are some people who never want to go back to work or weren't working beforehand, and they love that balance. And it's just interesting. I've said it before, but the area that people feel the most entitled to tell you their advice or opinion on your life is parenting. And it's also the area where you're probably the most sensitive and the most heated. But it's also the area where it really is like we always say this in terms of your career and your path yay, but in terms of parenting even more so, it's like you have to do what suits you and your family and your child, and it's never going to be the same as anyone else. It's so weird how freely people feel like they can comment on what everyone else is doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like also this stuff probably has been happening for ages. We just don't have or we just didn't have the means of social media where you got to see into so many people's lives early on, Like in terms of parenting styles, you know, there's a lot of people that would have gone to work earlier, a long time ago, but you just didn't see that. Also, I feel like people, I don't know why, but people have so much to say about parenting and a lot of people don't, let's say they don't have kids. It's so strange I find it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's one of those random areas where people just do have this entitlement about their opinion being relevant. And I'm so grateful I must say that. Not once in this entire journey, I've had heaps of unsolicited advice, and that's quite common as well, but I'm so grateful that every single piece of unsolicited advice has been given so kindly, Like, yes, it's been unsolicited, but often it's been really useful, Like people, I have to just say again how grateful I am for this audience that everyone has been very Like it's been in response to me saying he's having trouble with teething, and people have been like, oh please don't no obligation, but this was really helpful for me, and you might find it at this pharmacy, you know, like people have been so kind with their advice, So anyone listening, thank you for being so gentle and generous in the way that you because it's helpful sometimes, Like, there's nothing bad about unsolicited advice if it's given really nicely, but I think to some parents it's not given in the most pleasant way.
Speaker 3: Totally. I think there's a difference between being opinionated or having opinions on the way you do things, verse saying something like, oh my child had a similar thing, this is what we did. Like, I don't find that as rude or unsolicited, as just trying to share experiences. They're trying to be helpful, yeah, trying to share experiences and knowledge, as opposed to being like I cannot believe you've decided to pick up days and you're doing radio. Yeah, then he's only two weeks or something or whatever it is. It's a very different approach and experience going with things. Anyway. I digress because we don't have that much time. But I feel like you kind of covered a lot of the yays of being a mum in your knaze because your specialty is talking a lot, so there has been.
Speaker 1: Thank you for rating me in because one of the things I was really worried about was it becoming my entire identity, and I didn't want to turn as much as I like, I will defend myself for talking a lot about Teddy and parenthood because I've always just shared the chapter I'm in on all my platforms, But at the same time, I didn't want it to become a baby podcast and a baby Instagram either, So I feel like there's a really nice middle ground, and I'm trying not to just talk about my son all the time, even though he's the best thing in the entire world and perfect, I mean obviously. So anyway, I feel.
Speaker 3: Like your brand has always been whatever your life is at that time. Like at one point in time it was purely about business and now it's about family and that's just how life goes, you know. But we do want to get through some why thank you, that's what they call me. Why Why. I actually don't know where that came from, but I was trying to seguy over to we need to do recommendations, which are Olympics obviously obviously all Olympic edition because Paris twenty four, Okay, I'm sorry talking about Yay.
Speaker 1: The Olympics give me so much joy, Like I just get so emotional about people's journeys and their families and their hopes and dreams, and it just, oh, I just I kept really emotional about it.
Speaker 3: I truly wake up every morning and the first thing I ask my partner is, so did Jess Fox win? Like that's my whole life. My life is consumed around like I'll go to sleep watching the last semifinal and wake up being like what happened? And then I'll spend an hour and a half in bed consuming all of the povs of how a swimmer one like their family, their brother at home, then like all of these stupid videos, and then you see all these other countries and then you hear stories. It's just and then like all of a sudden, I've gotten into the BMX. Wow, these sports, but you can just appreciate athleticism in a LIMX without it having to be standing in a particular sport. Like totally, I've never really watched water polo, watch the whole game and the penalties yesterday, never really been that interested in BMX and skateboarding. I've watched every single street BMX and skateboarding thing, and now I'm like commentating and being like, oh, that was a triple flip, one eighty turn.
Speaker 1: What a land I like eating the chip packet on the like showing zo row athleticism and haven't moved for like forty eight hours, and I'm like, oh my, I would not have done it that way, like she is not in her best form today, Like.
Speaker 3: All the judgings, I'm like, that is a ninety five. Yeah, clear, ninety five.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely doesn't deserve seven, like seven only seven? Mad?
Speaker 3: Yes? And then if you ask me what the criterias, I wouldn't even vouch it.
Speaker 2: I'd be like, I know, looks prettiness.
Speaker 3: It looked like a ninety anyway, But no, what have your favorite moments of the Olympics been so far?
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's one of those Olympics where I don't know what it is, but I'm way more connected in with it than I ever have been, like the individual athletes and individual stories and even I think what's so wholesome about it is that it transcends geography politics. People set aside their stuff worldwide and their differences for humanity, and it shows the best of humanity, and so I have so many and most of them are obviously Ossie centric, but there's also quite a few, like, for example, close to home, the South Korean and North Korean table tennis teams took a selfie on the podium like that is unheard of. Their rivalry has been going like it is violent, the rivalry that they have. They're not allowed to speak to each other kind of thing, but it unites people in such a beautiful way. So I think my very very favorite highlights have to be Jess Fox, all of the Jess Fox, all of the Fox family related highlights, because as you guys know, we've had the privilege of having Jess on after Tokyo, where she had started on this incredible stellar career and has only just continued to blow us all out of the water and break records, like just yesterday was it. I think she became the most successful CANU slalem athlete ever, and I think she's won more individual Olympic medals than any other Australian ever and even more special than and that, her dad's a commentator, her mom is her coach, who also tried to defend the same k one title in two Olympics in ninety two and ninety six. Her sister is over there making her debut in the Olympics this year, and they're French competing in France, Like, oh ah, so exciting. It just makes me like the video of Miriam her mum following her along like as she did the K one course is you guys have to watch it, like we'll share on CEZI.
Speaker 2: I think we already have.
Speaker 3: It is so heartwarming, and you have to actually have to watch the final, the whole final session to truly appreciate how she won, because she actually came in eighth fastest, which meant she had to go fourth, and she had to wait for eight other athletes to go before she knew that her time was the best, and it came down to the last athlete who actually got the best time in the semi is, So if anyone was going to beat her, it was going to be this racer. And she actually, I think has a rikarda funk, and she was at the twenty first kind of pole thing and kind of hit it and missed it, which gives you a fifty second penalty. And it was that moment that she realized she had won and everyone's like screaming. So it was like literally down to the wire in terms of because otherwise she was actually on track to beat her time and a fifty second penalty completely takes you out of any kind of runnings, So it was like hectic drama field. I remember putting up a story in Jess fox reply and it goes the drama and I was like, you should not be checking your dms right now. You have a new thing to focus on. Whilst I screenshot her reply and sent to everyone, looks you replied to me.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Well she actually sent and a video because you were her biggest fan. Well you still are her biggest fan, but you were even more fangirl.
Speaker 3: Best to have my life life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, back when.
Speaker 1: We did the interview and she recorded a custom video which is so sweet.
Speaker 2: So we've been following.
Speaker 1: Along very very keenly, and we'll be doing follow up interviews with the Foxes.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: We're just really exciting. But a couple of other things that have made me really happy. So on the mum front, I think it's an American truck star. Alison Felix partnered with Hampers and launched the first ever nursery at an Olympic Games this year, So for breastfeeding parents, Like, how has that never been a thing before?
Speaker 2: Like, what do you even mean?
Speaker 3: That's so awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paris twenty twenty four is the first Olympics in history to achieve numerical gender parody with an equal number of female and male athletes.
Speaker 3: Yes, huge, huge.
Speaker 1: Even another thing on my list was an Egyptian fencer competed while seven months pregnant.
Speaker 3: I saw that. I saw that. That was really cool. That was really really cool.
Speaker 1: The US Olympic gymnastics team had the best cheerleader at the trials, a therapy dog named Beacon.
Speaker 3: And he had his own badge. Oh my god, I can't everything.
Speaker 2: Simone Biles also.
Speaker 3: I've got a good one. It's a rugby seven's New Zealand player. It just came up with my TikTok. Actually she fan girls. It's I feel like it's so whole. And when Olympians fan your other Olympians, sorry, we're all so elite, and they're like, fang.
Speaker 1: Welcome back, guys. I had to run in the middle of the eide. We got so close, so close, closer than we have in the last because this also happened last time, even the one that didn't actually end up getting published, but this also happened to us.
Speaker 3: I feel, yes, both times, we got ninety eight percent there, like we were literally at the point of one last thing and then wrapping up, and then we got to the point where it wasn't like wrapped up enough to wrap it up, but also like so close that we could have. So we're here. I know we've got it.
Speaker 2: We're great, and we did it.
Speaker 1: We're back on the same day, guys. So I signed off, I was like literally gave Bim like what two and a half seconds. I was like, middle of haha, simone bars anyway, Bim, Oh my god, I've got to go right now. Bye see Land, bye bye bye, bye bye bye, Like this is literally the kind of.
Speaker 2: Friend I've turned into.
Speaker 1: I don't think I could have demonstrated the point I made earlier in this episode better then just leaving the episode halfway through, because well ninety eight percent of the way through, because I was just like, oh my god, he's screaming, I need to go right now. I don't think I could even explain to you. I think on the recording, I said yeah, we'll finish this later. And You're like, I think like five o'clock or like tomorrow, Like, what do you mean?
Speaker 2: I was like, I tell you later. By god, go.
Speaker 3: I saw you. I was like, I don't want to ask too many questions because she's really got to go. But do I leave it open? Do I am I staying? Am I sitting here until she comes back? I was like, I don't know what the plan is, but I just like, she just left a screen open for the rest from then until now, hasn't closed the screen.
Speaker 2: I came back. Well, I was like the check that i'd actually stopped reading recording. I came back and I.
Speaker 1: Could hear you in the kitchen and I could just hear stuff like you left the window, but it was like two hours later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you were like, just leave it open. I was like, okay, good at following instructions. Just completely left it open.
Speaker 1: I didn't mean you had to steal phones, microphone, I don't know have to stay Well, guys, there is a real time example of the challenges logistically that I had mentioned earlier, and you've got to experience them in real time. He just lost his bananas and like he's in a really mummy phase at the moment, and I was the only one who could calm him down, and so we've got to be agile. So I left it. What do you reckon three twenty three? It is now six fifty eight, And it took me from then until now to like feed him, bath him, get him calm, get him down for a nap enough that I could actually come back and record and we're doing it.
Speaker 2: So thank you VIIM for your patients.
Speaker 1: And this comes back to at the first thing I said when I came back on was to apologize, because I do really dislike being that friend who like.
Speaker 3: Oh it's actually I genuinely am not even bothered by it one little bit. I'm genuinely zero percent bothered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're like an abnormally flexible friend, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but my hamstring's a pretty pretty top.
Speaker 1: Gymnastics Okay, guys, remember when we used to do our Playdia was gymnastics.
Speaker 3: I found out of the footage just and I was like, that was so fun. That was so fun, Like that was so I've never had so much fun doing Like I find all sports fun, but that is like play fun, like jumping in a phone pit, like like no limits to whatever your body's going to do right now, like flipping with no fear, Like it's just really fun. And the fact that we like, I feel like we got the whole place somehow to ourselves each time.
Speaker 1: And I feel like for three very competitive people who were like very A type guys in case you missed it back in like I don't even know when for one birthday and surprised us with a private gymnastics class with an actual form of competitive gymnast who became a coach. And we loved it so much that Nick Ange and I started going to gymnastics classes regularly just for the fun of it, where we would like become basically Olympic gymnasts, and he feel would let us try stuff that like we were terrible at, but we actually got to try the uneven bars, like we got to try Pommeer horse, we got to try flipping back with into a phone pit, even though we were terrible, And it's the definition of playta because none of us cared about being good at it, you know what I mean, Like we did we didn't put the pressure on ourselves to actually it was just for fun and like, I don't think adults really do that anymore unless you're going to be good at it, or you're gonna make money from it, or you're going to be competitive. It's like you don't let yourself because it's a waste of time. But we had so much fun we have to go back.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think it's also because we knew, we truly knew that none of us were good at it, and so there was no there's no ability to be competitive. Like Nick had strength, you had amazing flexibility, and I just was like good vibes. But truthfully, none of us, we all sucked.
Speaker 1: I think between the three of us we could have been an average gymnast. Like all of us combined could be like a very average gymnast.
Speaker 3: Yeah. My contribution truly was like the vibes. Yeah, the vibes like charisma. That would have been my contribution to personality.
Speaker 2: Now you were like there for the bloops.
Speaker 3: Like culture fit comes the culture higher.
Speaker 2: Culture higher.
Speaker 1: My favorite memory, one of my favorite memories of you, You've got to make a meme while the gymnastics is on, we're finally circling back to Smone Biles, which is where I was up to but is when you were in the bucket. Like, so, there's this one move all my gymnastics where you use your abs to like circle your legs around, and when you're first practicing it, they put your feet in a bucket while you hold onto a string. It's so hard to explain, but basically it's like the very beginner newbie kindergarten level to get you used to the feeling.
Speaker 2: And even with their feet.
Speaker 1: In a bucket and couldn't do it, it's the best foot each other.
Speaker 3: I actually like to the point where Phil manually pulled me around and he's like, Okay, next part's easy, and I've I've face planted like I just I physically and I was like, no, no, everyone's going to struggle with this. You didn't You had done like three rotations. Nick done three rotations, and I was like, I couldn't even get my feet into the bucket.
Speaker 1: The fact that there's actually literally a laundry bucket makes it even funnier because it's just a laundry bucket on a street.
Speaker 3: So sad like I just I was just so paralyzed. I couldn't do it. You know. Segue into Simone bios, which is your recomenation.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so we were halfway through our Olympic recommendations of just things that are really wholesome and feel good. We've been meaning to do recommendations for like eighty five thousand years and I haven't done them since last year. But I think we were up to so anything Simone Biles, because she's just renaming, like she's literally redefining gymnastics moves, Like there are things called Biles on pretty much every different apparatus that no one has ever done before. And I love watching people who push the boundaries of like physics. She's just insane, insanely amazing. But then how wholesome it is that then her and some of the US gymnasts like wanted to do a TikTok of their medals and like that's all they wanted to do at the end of winning.
Speaker 3: I was just so cute.
Speaker 1: It another thing I found I've just like saved all these things. A sixty one year old Nisha Leanne, she's from Luxembourg. Actually, oh yeah, in table tennis, sixty one year old comes out of retirement to become the oldest Olympian in Paris, and she just stealed victory to advance to the second round.
Speaker 2: So wholesome. She's just like this. Her face so the sweetest face. Look at it. Look at that. So it's just pure joy.
Speaker 3: So look on the little hands in the air.
Speaker 1: Oh, she's so I just love it, she goes. I hope that it will be a beautiful match, but I will cherish every point. She's the oldest Olympium at Paris and was the oldest in Tokyo. This is her sixth lie picks.
Speaker 3: What a legend, What a legend. My final recommendation, I actually came up with my TikTok feed, but then I followed it and it's actually the greatest thing ever. We might actually even repost it onto CZA. But it's of a Rugby seven's New Zealand player and it's so funny seeing olympians fan your other Olympians like you already yourself are like so amazing and then your fangirlings. Anyway, So she is an incredible rugby seven's player, like one of their best. And she spotted Shelley Anne Phraser Price, who's like an amazing sprinter, like one of the best printers in the god from Jamaica in the food hall and then like there's this video he going oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, Oh my god, Shelley. And then that video sparked for Shelley and Fraser Pist to see it and then to follow her on Instagram. And then there's this follow up video of so her name is MICHAELA. Blythe the New Zealander, her like jumping up and down in her dorm room being like, oh my god, oh my gosh, she's followed me, Oh my god. And then it's a video of like all and all of their friends drafting up a response like she's like, maybe you look cool, make me look cool, like say something. And then they meet up and then they have this hug at the village and then Shelley and Fraser Price goes to watch her rugby seven's game, So this full circle. But it was like this giddy, really like wholesome, olympian stand olympian whole, like you forget that they're just humans at the end of the day, like they're still they have idols as well. So yeah, I reckon, we'll probably repost it to CSIER. But it was like I've watched it so many times because it's both funny and sweet, so so yeah, I reckon that will be my recommendation.
Speaker 1: I also love how there's a photo of Jess Fox back to Jess Fox.
Speaker 2: We're circling back a lot today.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, so many circles and like like five Olympic circles. Anyway, off, we have to have finish it. Yeah, there's a photo of Jess Fox with Animeirs. I think it was at Sydney two thousand or something. It's like when Jess is really young, and I kind of remember the context, but I'll find the photo and it's really sweet. It's like Jess looking up to Anna, who's an Australian Olympian, and Jess like, you know, it's well before she was close to making the Olympics herself.
Speaker 2: She was like a really young kid.
Speaker 1: And then however, many years later, Anna is the Chef de mission and Jess is the flag bearer and then one of the most successful Olympian Australian Olympian of all time.
Speaker 2: Like how wild is that?
Speaker 1: The full circle of people's dreams that people end up overlapping on games with their idols is so special.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I truly every time I see things like that, I'm like, oh, I forget they you know, like there's commenting, like, you know, the Matildas are commenting on Oh Sam Kirk comments on Jess Fox's view and goes the goat. It's yeah, it's a real wholesome vibe. I think. So I think talent recognizes talent they.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's that way like you and I recognize each other.
Speaker 3: And that is where we end today's episode.
Speaker 1: You know what, this is actually going to be really difficult for us because it's been four months and this is kind of like, yeah, our lives is a bit like a dear diary catch up. There is no way we were ever going to be able to catch up on that many weeks. I'm just going to trust. Like, this is another really hard thing as a perfectionist who really feels like I need to express myself and keep people up to date, and I hate when the chapters are out of order and all that kind of thing that there's like such a big gap that I can't update everyone on everything that happened in that time because it's just going to take like seven episodes. So I just need to start again afresh and just assume they're followed along.
Speaker 2: On socials.
Speaker 1: So, guys, I've missed so much stuff that's happened in between. But I'm going to assume that you watched on other platforms, and we're starting from now. And now we're back and we covered such random shit today and we'll be back in four months ninety two.
Speaker 3: We will seeing you in December.
Speaker 2: December twenty twenty five. No, we'll see you at the next Olympics.
Speaker 3: We'll see you at mid ear fee. We'll see at the next ear fee.
Speaker 1: We'll see you in Q two twenty twenty nine.
Speaker 3: We will seeing you in when Sarah turns forty.
Speaker 2: So like tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Oh my godshut up, and we haven't even spoken about Oh my god. In two days we are going on our first family trip for a wedding and it's next fortieth traveling with child, getting ready for a long haul.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, there's so much we haven't covered.
Speaker 3: We know, but no, but we have. That means we have to have a recap after of your first trip away. Yeah, because the logistics, I'll make it happen. Don't worry, guys. Unreliable, are reliable with capital. I'll make it happen, even if it's a self monologue of base.
Speaker 1: You've told me you know what I should just delegate? Yes, do you know I should have done that? I should have got you to do This is.
Speaker 3: The update Sarah told me now, But you should have.
Speaker 1: Been doing the updates all this time of like, okay, Sarah texted me. So I've pieced together that this week she's not good, but next week I feel like she'll be better.
Speaker 3: And quote unquote, we are having a great time in Italy.
Speaker 1: Oh well, thank you so much, Bim for being so patient. Thank you so much, our listeners for being so patient. We will get back into our groove. It will probably be piecemeal. There will be bits and pieces. I can't even say that we had structure before though, to be honest. So it's not like they're getting anything.
Speaker 2: They're not. That's not like much has changed.
Speaker 3: We've primed them them.
Speaker 1: We've been preparing our whole lives for this moment. Thank you, Bim, love you so much, so grateful for you being so patient. And guys, please let us know what else you want.
Speaker 2: Us to talk back.
Speaker 1: Oh, we had years on the questions.
Speaker 3: We have got questions, Yes, we have so many, but we will have to say it for next time. We also have like my chalk and cheese. We have so many chalk and cheese. I think the next episode will be quite funny, but.
Speaker 2: This one was supposed to be funny.
Speaker 3: Oh you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, guys.
Speaker 1: Teaser for next time is the Things that Ange Says wrong and the chalk and Cheese, which is chalk and cheese which she literally thought was chalk and cheese. Anyways, wait, okay, okay, I'm cutting me off. I'm cutting me off.
Speaker 2: I love you. I'll see you in like a month.
Speaker 3: Love you. Bye,