Speaker 1: Welcome to the Kick Your Expert led podcast, helping you explore and learn everything about getting pregnancy, birth, and becoming a parent.
Speaker 2: On the podcast and our online pregnancy program grow My Baby, we share my experience of helping more than four thousand babies to be born.
Speaker 1: And our experience of running a women's health clinic and parenting for boys.
Speaker 2: We're here to help everyone to feel empowered in pregnancy and birth with real life, practical information.
Speaker 1: Welcome everyone, I'm Bridgid Maloney and.
Speaker 2: I'm Obstrician doctor Patrick.
Speaker 1: Maloney, and today we're going to talk about something that everybody knows something about, and that is the drip. The sintosin is labor yes, and why some people say no, and what the evidence actually says. So I'm really I want to want to do for this one is bring to you the arguments that people might have, Okay, and then we're going to talk about the benefits so people can see what the objections might be towards the sintosinon drip and then what they can then learn about to help them make some decisions about their progress in pregnancy and labor and birth.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: But you know, now we've said sintosin and drip and just expect everybody to know it. So let's start there. What is it?
Speaker 2: Well, the sintoson is a drug. It's called various things around the world, but it's a synthetic form of the natural laboring hormone and it helps in labor if there's a good reason why we would want the labor to either start up or to go faster and stronger, and good reason is an important.
Speaker 3: Part of that discussion.
Speaker 2: It's a drug that has to be used for valid reasons, and there are some risks in using it, so we need to be careful of how we use it.
Speaker 1: And people know the two terms, won't they They'll know induction and maybe they'll know augmentation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let's talk about those two things because they're very often blurred in discussions about this, and it's important that they're not so using sintosinon to induce labor. The most common scenario that I can think of would be that the waters have broken, so come to term, waters have broken, but no labor comes. When this happens a bit, and therefore there's an infection rate where bacteria from the vagina can get up into the water around the baby, and newborns do poorly when they're born infected. So after a period of time, if the labor has not come, sometimes the appropriate advice is to use some sinto to get that labor up going. And that's using sinto to induce. So to bring about a labor where there is not one, Okay, because the water's breaking, that doesn't count.
Speaker 1: Can I just talk about the water's breaking? So I mean, if somebody's picked up this episode because they've been told that they should think about having an induction, and they're going to have that induction started by the drip and they're hearing for the first time that water's breaking, don't necessarily equate to the start of labor. That is at odds to every single.
Speaker 2: Movie, every movie you've ever seen. That's right, that's not how it's done. So the winter, the waters break, the big strong contractions come. That's not how it really works. There's often several hours, there's sometimes days, and there can be weeks weeks. Yeah, so those events are not necessarily one immediately following the other. Infection is in that scenario is the potential problem. And if we look, for example, at somebody whose waters have been broken for twenty four hours and there's still no labor. We have to weigh up the risks of doing nothing and letting that situation continue versus the risks of intervening by starting up a sintos not drip, And too often the discussion of risk concentrates on the risk of the intervention and ignores the risks if we don't do the.
Speaker 1: That is so true. So we've talked about induction with the drip, what about augmentation with the drip?
Speaker 2: Augmentation is different. So that's when a labor is up and going but doesn't seem to be progressing well. And this is you know, there's all sorts of arguments about how fast a labor should go and what's optimal and what's best and so forth, but everybody agrees that we should.
Speaker 3: Have some progress at some point.
Speaker 2: So for labor has really stalled, Let's say we get to about four centimeters, examine the woman again later on and find that there's been no progress in the intervening time, and in fact, when we look at the contractions that have happened in the four hours between those examinations, there's really been no useful progress at all. But also no really strong contractions either. Yeah, they've petered right off. And we knew from observations that historically that those people the outcomes were poor for those women and those babies, and labors that went on for a particularly long period of time and were left to progress entirely without intervention, the outcome for those women and those babies was poor. And so when we look at the really disturbing data for obstetric outcomes prior to the middle of the twentieth century, the group that needed help and weren't getting it were were women in particularly prolonged labors.
Speaker 1: You say that thing about you know, you can't let to some set or something.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, it's a bit of a slip thing. Yeah, a bit of a flippant old thing. But it's basically that the labors there is there's compelling data that that a progressive labor is a good one. So our augmentation is using the sintosin on to make a slow labor hurry up.
Speaker 1: We got to mention at the start that some countries call it different things, don't they there's pittocin.
Speaker 2: It's the same thing, it's just different because.
Speaker 1: It is one of the most widely obstetric drugs used in the world, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the careful and sensible and safe use of that drug is one of the many reasons why the data for pregnant women improved so dramatically in around about the middle of last century, and why and why it's never been safer to have a baby.
Speaker 1: All Right, So I've looked at the arguments. I've done my research akaa, Google research good and I got these from Reddit okay.
Speaker 2: So Journal, the International Journal of Excellence.
Speaker 1: YEA number one argument that I found was that the contractions are more painful and in intense. So people say things like they got really intense really quickly, I didn't get a break between contractions, and people who had it, you know, had it and also had a birth without it, said that the contractions were a lot worse than natural contractions.
Speaker 2: Yes, So let's let's divide those up into a few different things to examine. Firstly, the contractions that we're talking about that help us in our first labor to get from zero to ten and let the baby out.
Speaker 3: They hurt and useful.
Speaker 2: Contractions are painful, very painful, and so to say, if we're talking about sintosinon made my contractions more painful.
Speaker 3: Cause it did. That is what it's supposed to do.
Speaker 2: And mostly when we're when someone says I had one labor with it and one label without it, she's comparing her first labor with her second, which we've discussed elsewhere on the podcast. Is not comparing apples with apples. So the first labor is long and difficult, and second and subsequent labors on average a better. So it's particularly particularly fraught to compare one with the other. So if we make a better and safer comparison, which is between, say, for in terms of the quality of our data, between a big group of women who have sintoson in a certain clinical scenario and a big group of women who have sintosinon who don't have sintoson in the same scenario, say stalled labor at four centimeters, then we know the sinti group is to better outcomes what we don't want to do. But they will also have more painful contractions, of course they will. We're restoring painful contraction, which of course is going to lead to pain. What we want it to lead to is contractions that are effective and put that labor back on track. The comment that somebody made there about I didn't get enough of a rest between my contractions, that is a POTENTI chull red flag that the sinto may have been used incorrectly. So when we are in labor, good strong labor, the baby's getting oxygen when we're not contracting and not when we are. So there needs to be a long contract a long gap between contractions to refill the store of oxygen that's sitting in that no man's land between the placenta and the baby, so that the baby there's.
Speaker 3: Some for the for the baby to use right throughout the cycle.
Speaker 1: And what would happen if somebody said that, you know, in between contractions, they put their hand up and they you know, I'm not getting a break here. Well, firstly you would hope that somebody would realize that the contractions are coming to hard and fast. But secondly, can they say, you know, can I turn the drip down or can the drip be turned down?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is not something that we need to rely on on a guesswork here. When a sintoson infusion is running in Australia, there's two things that should be happening. One is that that person should have a midwife with them at all times. This is a potentially dangerous struck. It can be overdone, overused and lead lead to very poor outcomes. But that doesn't mean that if it's used properly and safely, it isn't excellent. So what we we want someone with that with that woman at all times. And one of the things that attendant should that that that that attendant to the birth should be looking for is whether the whether the sintocinon is being used at a drip rate, so the dose to bring about what we're looking for, which is a certain number of painful contractions every ten minutes with a nice gap in between to restore the pool of.
Speaker 3: Oxygen in a way that can be used by the baby.
Speaker 1: It sort of leads to the next argument because if they're more painful, people say, you start the drip and you have created the cascade of interventions. And for first time listeners, cascade of interventions people mean sort of like the drip. More pain epidural leads to instrumental birth and cesarean birth then, you know, so people think that you open the floodgates for all that intervention happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an interesting idea. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that the cascade of interventions exists as a phenomenon. There's less proven evidence, but let's say, let's assume for a moment that it does exist, and it probably exists in some form or another. It's very difficult in an individual case to know whether let's say, for example, we look at sintocinon used in that first example where we were giving the sinto because the labor had not come after a certain amount of time, and the big ticket intervention that the big ticket problem that we were trying to avoid was the labor taking so many hours or days longer. Sorry, the period of time that the waters were broken was going to take so many hours longer and unless unless we got on with it. So it's very very difficult to know whether the sintosinon induced labor caused more pain than that woman was going to have had she just labored spontaneous, because that is also painful.
Speaker 1: But there is an increases of women needing an epidural if they do have the sin.
Speaker 2: That is probably true, and there's certainly some studies that have found that and one of the problems might be that it comes on pretty hard fast, yeah, rather than the natural one that would creep potentially creep up on us. And if they're very severe, quite quickly, then there might be in the mind of the laboring woman more of a stuff. This is really bad and I was comfortable half an hour ago, so now I want an EPPI. Whereas the woman with the natural labor that creeps up in intensity might be more able to be used to that or withstand that.
Speaker 1: So someone that gets the drip might end up with an epidural higher chance of getting epidural, But it doesn't. An epidural doesn't lead to a higher chance of cesarean.
Speaker 2: No, that is a commonly believed thing that there is very little evidence to support that, and in fact, there are studies that don't show that at all. You've got to remember that the use of sinto in the stalled labor might be the only thing that gets you to the starting line of a vaginal birth, which is being fully dilated. Does that make sense? So I think that that if you if you are an installed labor at four centimeters and you don't and you don't, what have you got on your sinto that that's going to have a section rate if we do nothing, that approach one hundred percent because the baby can't come out through a four centimes cervix. If you have the scent, what's and all and get to fully you are at least at the starting line of a vaginal birth.
Speaker 1: And you know there's no judgment in there. You might get to four centimeters after I don't know, an eight hour labor and think, oh, well, four centimeters. They've suggested that I have sintocinin or caesarean. Yep, And you might go, I've done it already, labor, I'm going to go for a cesarean.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: Sometimes people do that.
Speaker 1: That's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's also fine. But let's say the goal is vaginal birth. Let's for the sake of this discussion. Then sometimes I'll say to people, you've been laboring all night and we're still only here. I'm now proposing that to get this labor back on track and give us it and give us a tilt at getting to fully and a vaginal birth, the best course of action here is to use some sintai and try and restore adequate progress. You're already exhausted you sure you don't want an ep be upfront, Yeah, and we'll often do that. Yeah, So put in the eppy first and then ramp the scent up and see how it goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and then that can all sort of wear off towards the end anyway, And if your goal is to have a vaginal birth where you, you know, feel like you're not medicated, then.
Speaker 2: An unassisted vaginal birth. Yeah, that's right, then you can you can certainly do that, all right.
Speaker 1: I want to move to argument three, which is that it increases risk. And now you've touched on that. So what sort of risk is the main problem with sintasin on drips.
Speaker 2: Well, we need to look at the risks of you using it and the risks of not using it. But let's say we start with the risks of using it. Those are allergic reaction and things like that are extremely uncommon. We're talking about using it to using it in a way that over stimulates the uterus and can lead to very big contractions coming on one on top of the other. And these are typically dosing errors. So we need to be really careful. Gotta be careful on everyone you use in on particularly people had a baby before, it doesn't take much. So if someone's had a previous vaginal birth ruptures their membranes at term, and then the labor doesn't come, and that the sun comes up the next morning, we're still not in labor. And you want to use a bit of sin, you do not need much. So a whiff will get that woman into labor. And it's not like using it to in a stored labor in a primate where where really we push people pretty hard.
Speaker 1: But not too hard, because I've heard you say also that you know that someone was pushed a bit hard, or you know the senters really flogged flogged them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, whopping people along. Whereas whereas the one who's had a baby before, just to finish their thoughts, she does not need much. And and a little bit trickled in will will get her actually up and laboring pretty much by itself. We don't often do this, but she could almost turn it off again. Yeah and and some and some of those women would be up and away. The woman having a first baby is not like that. If there's a if the labor's progressing slowly, we often need to start the center and we start a really low dose because we don't know how much we're going to need to get to get the result we're looking for. So we started off at a really low dose and then very carefully watching the watching how the woman and the baby responding to it, increase it until we get to a frequency and duration of contractions that works to actually put the labor.
Speaker 3: Back on track.
Speaker 1: All right, So is that the only risk, you know? The hyperstimulation of the uterus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So hyperstimulation is where we get just a whole lot of contractions coming one after the other, and you think, oh, well, as long as we haven't any previous season something, the uterus is pretty strong and made a muscle, it should be fine. But it's not really about that. It's about the baby getting enough oxygen and you need a gap between contractions to ensure that that happens.
Speaker 1: And a tired uterus. I've also heard you talk about postpartum hemorrhage risk.
Speaker 2: True, the tired uterus is part of using SINTO, but it's also one of the problems with significantly prolonged labors. So we actually we may we may actually be using SINTO to avoid the sort of problems that happen if you're labor for three days.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, I'm an argument for I heard this a lot on Reddit, and I'm just surmising that, you know, being attached to a drip or the continuous monitoring, all of a sudden, their birth has gone from feeling natural feeling medicalized.
Speaker 2: Yes, and needless to say, that's true. It is definitely true. We're having a baby in the hospital. The hospital. If things are going significantly away from a speed an efficiency that we know is associated with good outcomes, you're likely to be You're likely to be recommended intervention. Now, those interventions are not bad ideas just because they're interventions. It was interventions that that fixed the data that nature's data which was unacceptable to the people of one hundred years ago. For one percent of women who got pregnant to die from that pregnancy was unacceptable to those people. Think of the cumulity of misery. And it was interventions that fixed that.
Speaker 1: So people talk about less mobile, but you can still move around with the drip.
Speaker 3: Yep, So you can.
Speaker 2: Then we don't tend to have people walking the corridors with a drip. Because of the need for electronic fetal monitoring. We want to make sure that we're not overstressing the baby with the sinto, but certainly around the room that's fine.
Speaker 1: And is it always continuous monitoring that you need if you're on a drip or can they put it on and off a little bit?
Speaker 2: We have continuous monitoring for people on sinto, because often the first sign that that too much is being given is a change in the fetal heart rate, which is the baby saying, you know, I'm not getting enough oxygen here because you haven't given me enough of a rest between contractions fair enough. So the woman won't necessarily notice that, but baby will one might. I think you this stuff's working on cracking along here, but that's not what the baby needs. Whereas in the hyperstimulation that occurring naturally is quite uncommon for a natural labor, So that you so listen after each contraction is fine.
Speaker 1: So what about they can't go into a bath or anything like that if they're on a drip.
Speaker 2: No, but that not in our setup. But I think that that we're often using this in a scenario where things have not gone according to an entirely natural and entirely non interventional model. And you know, what, have you believed that these are interventions that are somehow forced on people. I don't believe that's commonly true. I think that the standard these days, certainly in Australia, would be to go in and sit down with that woman and her support people and say, here's where we are, here's our progress so far, and here are my concerns. And then, like any medical intervention for any reason, whether you've got a whether you've got a pimple on your nose, or or having a baby, what are the risks and benefits of the intervention you're talking about? What are the risks and benefits of doing nothing?
Speaker 3: What else have you got? And can I have some time to think about it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I did, forget to ask if you've had the drip to start so in an induction and you get into good labor, can all of that be switched off.
Speaker 2: When you're having your first baby? It really needs to keep running and in fact the dosoten.
Speaker 3: Needs to be increased.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, so if you switch it off, it tends to go back to where it was, which was installed. Yeah, second and subsequent berths. It's not really like that. You can use a sniff and get going and you probably could switch those off.
Speaker 1: Good. All right, this is my last argument. I'm sure there's others. Email us or DMS if you think there's another argument that you want to have discussed. And this is harder because it's those that really don't trust that advice that they really needed it in the first place, you know, a questioning whether their labor was truly stalled and whether they were given enough time to wait.
Speaker 2: Yes, well that is a different question altogether, because that comes down to see I've drawn this example for the ease about discussion today about someone who's not laboring at all and has a clear infection risk and there's a clear problem with doing nothing. Where it gets more interesting is the scenario in which, for example, the induction wasn't done for a good medical reason. Yeah, so there really.
Speaker 3: Was no problem.
Speaker 2: Everyone just thought it would be more convenient how the baby that day or somebody thought it was or whatever. Well, that is different, and that, I think is where the discussion is, where the actual discussion should be parts.
Speaker 3: Do you need to be induced in first place?
Speaker 2: If you really really want to avoid intervention, come into spontaneous labor.
Speaker 1: A term easier said than done.
Speaker 2: But I'm just saying that that's really where the discussion should lie. I don't think that there's any particular problem with the careful, sensible, expert use of Sintosno, I think there's a problem with inductions. So if we look at that inductions, inductions for first babies that have a higher risk of ending in ceserrean section, Yep, yeah, we've got there's an issue there, and I think our birthing services need to be flexible enough to allow more of those women to cautiously wait.
Speaker 1: It's hard, you know, because Australia is geographically kind of challenged, and some people will have an induction because they've had to fly in to to a regional city or a city. Even some of our people that live three hours away from bell are out.
Speaker 2: You know, Well, they're the most likely of my patients to be induced. And for those people sometimes it comes down to the risks and benefits of induction versus the risks and benefits of laboring spontaneously and being three hours from their birthing hospital. So different discussion. Yeah, but if we talk, if we want to shift the argument to somewhere where it can actually lead to better outcomes for women, it's probably shifting it shifting it over to can we get this woman to a point where she can be safely and expertly managed without inducing your labor, rather than just saying well, the only thing we can do for your madam.
Speaker 3: Mister gets going, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's so difficult because you know you have the I've forgotten what it's called, the massive, big one where they got managed to convince people to have an induction at thirty eight weeks the trial trial. I should have known, right, Yeah, so they're saying, actually, there's less cesarean right if you get induced at thirty eight weeks and it became a bit of a thing.
Speaker 2: You got to raised more questions than it answered to be honest. But no, I think I think that labor spontaneously at term is still a good thing.
Speaker 1: All right. Now, they're the arguments, and I'm sure there are Moreso, as I said, just dms if you want something discussed. But let's talk about let's just wrap it up, pat with what the benefits are. Like. You know, we've talked about why people wouldn't have it, and in between you've put little bits of why you think sintosin is a good idea. Yeah, so let's talk about some benefits.
Speaker 3: It works.
Speaker 2: It works. Yeah, so that is that is the bottom line.
Speaker 3: It works.
Speaker 2: It's the receptors within the uterus respond very very well, and it will. It will get you back on track if there's something wrong with your labor, and if there's nothing wrong with your label, why are we using it in the first place. This will get you back on track in a lot of cases, much much more effectively than the old all they used to have, which was the tincture of time.
Speaker 3: He just waited and hoped it went better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is very very effective at doing that job. Used sensibly, expertly, carefully, it's a very very good intervention.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned that because it does help people deliver within twenty four hours. There's actually it helps to avoid cesarean in certain cases.
Speaker 2: Well, that is why it's used. And so it's sort of sometimes a little baffling to obstetric practitioners that we just hear all the problems with it as if we're using it for no reason. But if somebody's labor is stuck at force entimeters, that person's going to have a caesar. In just about every case, sintocinon is to get you to fully so you don't need one. And that is that's a common misunderstanding. If I have sintosin I have a higher section rate. I don't think that's at all true. In fact, the reason why the labor is being pushed along is to get you to ten centimeters where a vaginal birth only then becomes a possibility.
Speaker 1: All right, So you know we've got the medical world saying it works, it's been studied lots, it can prevent escalation, it can help people avoid cesarians. If that's what they're up to. Why is the medical world saying one thing and like pages and pages and pages on Reddit are saying another thing about induction. Why do people fear it?
Speaker 2: Well, I think it gets back to that argument about what we are talking about when we talk about risk. So the medical world tends to look at population level risks. What happens to one hundred thousand women in this situation if we do nothing compares to compared to what happens to those women if we apply treatment ABC, which might be sintos non augmentation of labor. And the problem with the what we read on the internet is it tends to be somebody's individual experience. They gave me that sinto. It didn't work. I had an appy and then a Caesar must have been the sinto's fault. But the sinto was only given because labor installed. That was actually the problem. And so that person leaves thinking it is useless. Fair enough, then that person can get on the internet and say to everyone else it's useless, don't do it. But in fact, if we look at enough people, the exact opposite is true. It's useful. And in that scenario, the evidence based thing to.
Speaker 3: Do is to do it.
Speaker 2: It won't always work, but if you want to know where the data leads, it leads to the sensible use of that intervention.
Speaker 1: So if people are getting conflicting messages online and then they sort of say, oh, by absolutely no, it's not in my birth plan. I've underlined it like a hundred times, no induction, no sintosinin And then it comes to the situation where they are recommended to have sintosin. What are some good questions they can ask their provider?
Speaker 2: You have to so it's a great question. So I'm going to I'm going.
Speaker 1: I know you've just set up straight in your chair, You've got all excited, You're like this.
Speaker 2: It's a great question. But if you're in labor, it's too late, and that that is why you've got to talk about this in the consulting room during the pregnancy. So in our Grow My Baby program, we've got a we've got a template for a birthplane. I believe in birth I think it's really really great to get on paper.
Speaker 3: How I hope this goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the process of making a birth plan, it's great. Not for the plan, They're right, It's that it's for the questions that it introduces in the mind of the patient. So so if someone comes comes to me and says, I don't want it in toosin under any circumstances, I'm like, okay, well, this is your body, your choice. One hundred percent, you will not have a drug for me that you have not agreed to have. However, what do you want to do if you get to five centimeters and the labor stores and the woman will often say, I didn't know that was a thing. I was like, that's why the clever people invented sintosin. So let's talk now about what we might do, because we've got some choices. You could keep waiting and hope that we get there eventually and that has risks and benefits. Or we could do a Caesar then and there because we only got to five and you can't get maybe out through five, or you could have Sintosa. And then people go, ah, it was well, so through learning about it, they can suddenly they can getting back to this idea of engaging in the complexity. They go, oh, it's not just simple enough to say no, I don't want that because it's bad for me. Now I can see how the use of that might get me out of trouble. So then they go, wait.
Speaker 3: Ever, not think about it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Now if that person comes back and says I don't want to I've had a look and I had to think, and I don't want to donder any circumstances, fine, but you cannot escape the consequences of not having it. You if you get into that situation, will have to do something else, and those things will have their own prois and CODs. Even if that's something else is nothing, it's got its own pros.
Speaker 1: And CODs, which must be incredibly difficult for a provider. If that person goes, absolutely, do I I'm saying no to that particularly intervention, Yes, and the risks and benefits in your in the practitioner's mind really doesn't equate, like the risks are far greater, yes, and you think, well, the option that this woman is now choosing is that she wants a labor to go for.
Speaker 2: Two days with the associated risks. This is a tricky one because in my view, the absolute paramount consideration is the wishes of the patient. Now, I don't think that that can truly be determined the wishes of the patient until the patient understands the counter argument. So I spend a fair bit of time if I'm in a situation like this, making sure that the person understands the counterargument before making their final decision, and when they do, that's the decision. So if someone wants to stay in labor for days and days, that is okay. It hasn't happened that many times in my career a few, but that is okay if that's what they truly want. And some of those people aren't in the hospital in the first place, yeah, laboring out in the community in a way that they feel is best for them. I don't like the idea of people having rejected intervention and the medical point of view without having heard it first and understood it. But ultimately, if that's what they've decided, then that is up to them. And my junior colleagues get very upset about this and they feel powerless and frustrated and a bit depressed that all of the clever interventions that they spent so long learning about are being rejected by the patient. But ultimately that is their decision, and sometimes that leads to people. Often, very often that leads to that person getting away with it and feeling clever that.
Speaker 1: They had a natural birth and only took twelve hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was all great, and.
Speaker 1: Then they get on the internet and tell everyone else to.
Speaker 2: Do what they did. But sometimes it leads to poor outcomes, and that is part of making a choice. What's the decision when we do type people down? Absolutely not this is this is not the way we do bring withdraw care all together. Yeah. Well that's a tricky one.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but I mean that's what you know, that case with a woman who didn't want a vaginal examination and they were saying, well, we're not going to accept you into the hospital, and as you have one.
Speaker 2: A better scenario would have been that someone has the right to come into the spit, but also to reject things that that hospital is commending because if that, if someone wants to do that, there's an argument that's often made that if you, if you, if you, if you're so clever and you know the best way to do everything, why in the hospital in the first place. Well, that argument falls down because that person might say, no, I have a vision for my labor that I want it to run like this, but if it completely goes to crap, I want to be in the hospital where you people can help me. So, and that's a legitimate point of view. Our point of view is often based that prevention is better than cure, and we'd rather prevent the postpartum hemorrhage than have to come running and fix one. But again that's the it's up to the patient, the informed.
Speaker 1: Patient, informed and not scared into doing something. All right, So in terms of the drip, they can people can ask, why are you recommending that I have the drip? Yes, they can ask what are the risks? What are the benefits?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: If I do this, if I do nothing, or how about we do something else that's not can.
Speaker 1: Should Yeah, and that all should probably happen. You're saying before labor.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's our dream, isn't it. That's what we wanted. That's why we made the Gramma Baby Program, was to try and get people up to a certain amount of pregnancy literacy such that when some of these things happen in their labor, which they do, they that they it wasn't the first that ever hurt.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And anecdotally, I think that it's great to talk to people who already understand what the are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Great, all right everyone. Pat's mentioned our Gramo Baby Program a couple of times now, so if you're interested in that, there's always a link to that in our show notes. What it is is a week by week, really in depth information that you get to help you in pre pregnancy, all through your pregnancy, and for the first six weeks. You can join at any time. We think it's really affordable to get quality, consultant level information that's not just Pat a little bit of me in there as a mum, but there's also other experts that we've invited into, Like we've got an anethetist, a physiotherapist, dietitian, lactation consultants, so all of those things really help wrap the information that you're learning on the podcast into a step by step, sequential lead information program. So we think it's really great, and thousands of other people have thought it's really great too, so the links to that are in our show notes. So good. I'm glad we covered the drip. It's something that does get a bit of air time. So yes, you've got lots of knowledge. Now take this away, digest it, talk to your support people, talk to your partner, and see what decisions you're going to make about induction or augmentation. Excellent, all right, everyone, until next week, keep growing those babies and we'll be back in your ears. Then.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening, everybody.
Speaker 1: Okay, bye for now. Hey, even though doctor Pat is well a doctor and we get lots of other doctors and other experts on our podcast, I just need to remind you that this podcast is for informational purposes only. We share lots of medical insights and experience, but everything we talk about is general in nature and may not apply to your specific situation. Please always consult with your own healthcare provider for your individual medical advice. When you grow your baby