Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Mama Mia out loud, it's what women are actually talking about on Friday, fourteenth of August, and out loud as I'm Holly Plainwright.
Speaker 2: I'm mea Friedman, and I'm Mura.
Speaker 1: And here's what made our agenda for today. What Miranda Kerr's Bison Breakfast tells us about the great wellness escalation. Plus you need a bigger world. Just don't bring the weather with you.
Speaker 2: And what actually is a bison? Someone is gonna tell me before the end of the show, but first, in case you missed it.
Speaker 1: What I'm really.
Speaker 2: Excited about is that there's breaking sock news. Oh thank god, my favorite kind ankle socks are back. Baby.
Speaker 1: This is good news.
Speaker 2: It's good news for millennials, as Janet as, Okay, what's bad news if you've thrown all of yours out? Mina just secreted to the back of my wardrobe. Because in twenty twenty four, you might remember, gen Z started laughing at our socks. They started saying that our some call them ankle socks, some call them invisible socks, ones that basically stop either inside your shoe or underneath your ankle. They said that they were basically very elderly, very daggy, and we got incredible Some of us got incredibly self conscious.
Speaker 1: Which is unfortunate because I'd spent a lot of time folding socks down to be like invisible socks inside my trainers, and they'd always peek out and I would always look tragic.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I found the whole thing quite confusing because I didn't know how high my socks should be. You know, I never liked to be on the wrong side of a trend. So that's how I found myself standing at Target in front of the sock area with another woman about my age, and both of us were looking very puzzled as we were trying to buy socks that would make us look younger. So gen Z has made a U turn and they've come. They've the light, and they've said that ankle socks are actually back Hurrah, which is exciting news. If you want to know a bit of taxonomy, invisible socks obviously ones that are inside your shoe. They don't cover the top of your foot.
Speaker 3: Examples when you might wear those is when you're a real estate agent. This whole sock thing has bullied me out of wearing one of my favorite things to wear, which would be a skirt and trainers.
Speaker 1: How do you wear a skirt and trainers? If you're not allowed to wear visible socks? I will say that wearing like is it crew length socks?
Speaker 2: Crew length socks? Well, quarter crew are the ones that come just above your ankle. But but crew regular crew come halfway.
Speaker 1: Bet up your calf. And so, which which sorts should I have been wearing with my quarter crew?
Speaker 2: This is quarter crew that end's gone on because it comes up right above there.
Speaker 1: If you had on something that showed your legs once? Should I have worn?
Speaker 2: Is crewe length?
Speaker 1: Got it right?
Speaker 2: Crew length comes up halfway up my calf. This is why we're now on video for these important questions. See a couple of years ago, Holly and I would not have been able to do that. I didn't own any socks that came above my ankle. Bane there's actually a man in our office who might be the CEO who wears sockets.
Speaker 1: Does not wear socket me, you've just destroyed it.
Speaker 2: Are you one when he has wears a certain type of shoe. I don't understand men's clothes, and I couldn't care less. But someone said white and you wearing socks and he said sockets and they said, I didn't know they've made those for men, which is such a disc Anyway, there's more sock news and it's very exciting because, as I may have mentioned, it's Copenhagen Fashion Week. I'm in just heaven because it's the Copenhagen Fashion week that is the spring summer season, because the winter one. The people what I like most is actually don't look at any of the runway stuff. It's all the street style. And there's two Copenhagen Fashion weeks, one in January and one in August. And the January one might be February it's very cold and it's snowing, so everyone when we're in the middle of summer, they're all rugged up. This one is Copenhagen at its best. It's all the colors. And something that I've noticed a lot is some very interesting use of socks.
Speaker 1: Like what tollss socks so that you're wearing sandals that show you toes.
Speaker 2: Think of it? So yes, So I've started cutting the toes that off some of my socks, so it's like a little leg warmer but out of a sock. So what you can do is that you can wear it. Well, if you want to go on Wiki feet, where I have my own page that I didn't make, you can show toe cleavage but also keep your ankles.
Speaker 1: What shoes would you wear those? You can wear it. I think you're asking the right questions. What is toe cleavage?
Speaker 2: Well, people who like feet, the line between your toes like cleavage for your boobs, but your toe. Yeah, and that's big on Wiki feet because like tea, if you're if you want to put your feet on only fans, there's totalleavage is big. But you can wear them with ballet flats, you can wear them with heels like kitten heels.
Speaker 1: Then no one would see the toelessness of them.
Speaker 2: But that's the point. So it mew you did this first where they had them inside the it's not to show your toes where it can be. It means that I don't know what it means.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, i'd up your leg.
Speaker 2: Well, it helps you because you can't usually wear like if you've tried to wear socks with like ballet flats or socks with high heels, you can get it can get a bit slippery, right, and also if you're wearing because the big shoe of next spring summer is like a thong bof shoes, but no, not whose shoes a thong, but with a kitten heel. It's like a high heel thong. Okay, yeah, but you can't wear that with a sock because it will go between your toes, so you and also you'll slip out of it.
Speaker 1: But you can if you.
Speaker 4: Cut your if you want the essence of a sock load of socking.
Speaker 1: It's just become too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all under the umbrella of weird sock theory. If you remember weird show shoe theories, which was when you made an outfit look more interesting by wearing the wrong type of shoe. Socks are like that now too, So you wear deliberately odd socks to elevate a boring outfit or do something funny with your socks.
Speaker 1: Sock colored socks could be helpful because I can never pair my socks. We have to orker our family socks in our house live in one big bucket in the living room. And when people come over they say, oh, you have a sock bucket, I'd say, indeed, we do. Just go in there. Well, were just everybody's socks are in there. I don't wear bread socks. They're like bushwalking socks with the toes, although maybe they're cool. Now we have all of our odds socks.
Speaker 2: Someone tied them all together with one odd sock, a longer odd sock, and so now I walk around as though it's microphone and offer it to everyone in my family. My son the other day went, well, the problem is that my sock is the one that's around everything else, which seems like it's a little bit foundational socks.
Speaker 1: Who knew there was so much to it? Okay, let's get onto something that definitely isn't strange at all, which is eating.
Speaker 3: Bison for breakfast. Oh yummy, I know, yum, yum yum. We do have to get more protein, well.
Speaker 2: We do.
Speaker 1: And the thing is is the basic pitches among us are hammering in our protein with cottage, cheese and eggs. We are not supermodels. They're not doing that.
Speaker 2: Is a bison type of cow.
Speaker 1: It's a cut type of buffalo. Okay, so a bison is a big I think they are native to America. They are big, like buffalo looking creatures. Huge, right. Mirandaka started all this bison chat when she went on Kristin Cavaleri's podcast recently. The podcast is called I've forgotten what it's called because it really doesn't matter. It's just her talking to famous people about things like what do they eat and what are they put on their faces? Right in the course of this interview, Miranda Kerr, Australia's own, says that she lies on an infrared mat every morning. She was doing it in her pajamas, but now she knows she has to get nude to get the full effect of whatever that is. She also has something called a lima light next to her bed. In the morning, she has a shot of nanny juice, followed by some marshmallow tea that is not made with marshmallows because that sounded good. Yeah, it's made with marshmallow leaf. Ah.
Speaker 4: And I don't know she's still doing the nanny juice though.
Speaker 1: She's been doing that since she's a teenager. And then some coffee, but not just any coffee, mold and lead free coffee that she buys but then gets tested herself to make sure it really is mold and lead free.
Speaker 4: Are we drinking moldy enough?
Speaker 1: Allegedly we are, we us plubs. We don't know what we're drinking. And then she might have some coconut yogurt and a bite of banana if you're still here. One just one bite, yeah, just one. Christin Cavalery got very granular with this, and look, it was a lot to get through, to be honest. But what comes after the banana and the mold free coffee is where the Internet got excited. And it is this bit where Christin Cavalery dares to ask such a basic question as so for breakfast, then do you eat some eggs?
Speaker 2: Do we do eggs? Oh?
Speaker 1: I don't do eggs.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what's the breakfast for you?
Speaker 1: I do protein, So I eat like venison.
Speaker 3: Bison, yeah, loads of nutrients, turkey, yeah okay.
Speaker 1: I eat all the meats that aren't mass produced.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, great for the reasons that we all know exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, we do race.
Speaker 2: Do you do any carbs? I really eat a lot of squash okay, and carrots and passnips. Okay. Yeah, so you really, I mean you are super healthy.
Speaker 1: She goes on to say no spinach, no kale, no green leafy vegetables. They're bad now like they were good. Once she makes carab sugar free hot chocolate, sometimes with coconut milk that she's also had tested to make sure it really is coconut milk. Her beauty treatments involve all these things that I've never heard of, Like I think I know things about beauty, like serums and injections and things. All hers are like, it's vad nap, like just shit that we don't know. And I think I have a theory, which is wellness has become very mainstream, Like you know, the whole notion of Pete Evans likes to say this a lot. He was like back in the day when I said I activated almonds, everybody thought I was crazy, And now you can buy activated almonds at Woollies. The thing is is that wellness has become so mainstream that the eye we would have once gone like a green smoothie, and now you can. I can literally buy a green smoothie in the servo, right, I can buy green smoothie anywhere, So that's not special anymore. That's just like common or garden. I can buy free range, hormone free chicken. I can buy whatever in a normal supermarket. Bison, on the other hand, very hard to get. I think this is about status. What do you think?
Speaker 3: First thing, I want to pour one out for Kristin because I can just tell the way she was replying to that, going excellent, oh wow, very healthy, amazing, great fun producers just looking up what.
Speaker 2: It's also good podech interviewing technique when you just want to give someone more and more rope because you know that what they're saying is going to get clipped and become part of the zeit. Guys, wish this has well done.
Speaker 1: And she would be very much in that California wellness world that Miranda's in, but just at a different level, you know what I mean, a different tea, because she would also know that like, oh, these days are not supposed to eat spinach for some God's saken reason. But she's not where Miranda is, which is like, oh, squash, you know what I mean. So she keeps going, I've never heard of that.
Speaker 2: Holy squashed zucchini or is it sweet potagoashes?
Speaker 1: Pumpkin kind of like a sort of pumpkin, a yellowy pumpkin, but it can also be zucchin. I don't know what Americans called squash. I think is like they're all into eating rooty vegetables now because apparent and please don't pay any attention to this, because every nutritionist on the planet says it's bullshit, and don't say it green leafy vegetables, which we all know are very good for us. The carnivors say no, they're full of things that repel predators. Therefore they will repel your gut. What well, Miranda said, not to have coun spinach. I'm not going to have coun spinach.
Speaker 2: That hard for you.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's so messed up.
Speaker 2: The clip of this podcast has done three and a half million views at time of recording, and the comments are pretty split between criticizing and openly mocking her. Not a lot of people are like, yay, I'm going to go find me some bison. The biggest geist I think is interesting because celebrity diet confessions. When people were celebs were asked what they eat, it used to be very much. I eat burgers. I am so normal, I ate fries. And now the flex as you say, whole is restriction, but I would say this is restriction to the point of I mean, you know, dietitians, everyone's skirting around the word orthorexia, but it's this line between when does clean eating tip into orthorexia, which is the one eating disorder that gets applauded on wellness podcast like this one instead of flagged is concerning.
Speaker 1: But it's not even restriction, it's purity. It's this obsession. That's what restriction is. It's control, right, It's like there's an idea, but that's.
Speaker 2: What having an eating disorder is, absolutely his control and restriction and purity.
Speaker 1: But also I think there's another piece to this, which is about this prestige, is that the ordinary plubs of the world in America are getting all getting sick this summer from the lattice that they in their taco bell. Right, there was this big story that there was a you know, a terrible case of food, and fact, yeah, that mostly the result of fast food restaurants. Most Americans are eating a lot of processed food. So telling people to eat real food is not a dangerous message. Telling people to eat real food, of course, not that you should be going around telling people to eat anything, but like offering nutritional advice that is, maybe don't eat so much hyper processed food is not dangerous. This is a flex of a very specific type of very beautiful well wealthy person who is like normal people, food is not what I eat. I don't know if it's normal, I don't eat it. And so she Miranda Kerr, who has always been very open to talking about her wellness diets, used to go on and on about celery juice, for example, like I just juice celery every day and I eat that. Now that's not cool because everyone does that, you know what I mean, Everyone juices. So it's sort of.
Speaker 2: The It's like an escalation saying I'm better than you. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the thing is is that lots of people will say, you know that all kinds of nutritional advices help them enormously. Don't eat that, do eat this or whatever. But it's become like a status symbol.
Speaker 3: But I also think it's a product of when you are a billionaire with nothing to do. You see one video saying bison is good for you, and then you order some bison, and then you just get into this realm of being so self obsessed that that is just your thing. It just becomes your thing.
Speaker 2: And when I was watching this video, it's identity around what you eat. It is.
Speaker 3: But watching this video, I was like, isn't this what we want? Celebrities to do, like to actually tell us what they're doing. And she's literally just telling us what she's actually doing. Like, I just see this as her being her most authentic self, and we don't want that because what she's saying.
Speaker 2: Is making her Yeah, but hang on, when we ask celebrities what they eat, let's be honest about what we're really asking is how they look like that? Right?
Speaker 1: We don't care what they eat. We don't care. That's not what this is about. It's not about recipes.
Speaker 2: It's about how are you the mother of three or four kids and you are that skinny? And that's when we're asking Gwyneth. When we're asking Miranda Kerr, we're not asking people who aren't extremely underweight or who aren't you know, the size that our culture awards.
Speaker 4: Which is very very small. But she was literally asked, what are you eating?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I know, but what do you think? Why do you think everyone leans in when Miranda Kurr says what she's eating because everyone wants to know if I eat that, will I look like you too? I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I think I want to know what she's eating because I'm interested in what a billionaire actually does in their day to day life, like I want to know what they're eating, and what she's eating does sound like a billionaire's diet, and that's interesting to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting because to your point before me, are about how they used to be this flex that was like eating Burger flex and I found it really refreshing when some actresses in Hollywood said, I think Ken Katrell was one of the first I remember who said the whole time I was on sex and the city I was on diet, I was hungry the whole time, right, And lots of actresses after they have come off, you know, a really a successful run of anything, we'll say restriction is part of it, Like we are all just told all the time to be skinny, skinny, skinny. It was refreshed. It's refreshing to hear that, and that's why in some ways I agree with em that I almost find it comforting when I hear these ridiculous, kind of very elaborate, completely out of reach diets that the one percent or on or a certain portion of them are because dudes are doing this too in Hollywood. Now it's all dressed up as longevity as health, like Miranda curR says in this you know, the thing that's important to me is living as long as I can, and that has now become the new guys for rather than saying because I want to look great or I want to maintain my weight or whatever, it's like longevity and health. So on one level, I find it refreshing to realize just how out of reach and obsessive and difficult and expensive this level of eating is. On the other hand, given what I was just saying about how wellness has become really mainstream and what what seems really out there at one point then is everywhere the next point. That's why it's interesting too write because she suddenly she makes a throwaway comment on this podcast that like, I don't eat sushi anymore because it's full of parasites. Everybody's like what, and nutritionists and diettians and doctors saying that's true exactly.
Speaker 3: I think she's also coming from maybe like a bit of a scared place, because she has talked about being diagnosed with an autoimmune disease before, and from having friends and family you've had autoimmune disease, especially when it impacts your diet food does become scared massive, I can becomes.
Speaker 1: A very unsafe space.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 3: I think if you have access to all the money in the world and you can make your perfect diet, that's sue to you where you know, if I just eat this every day, it will be okay. I can see where she's coming from and that point of view.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Out Louders on Thursday subscriber episode It's me a Friedman by the way, I'm joined by Holly and Emma and we discuss the influencer recession. Some people are mad at influencers other people people are feeling really sad that they're having to pivot to rage bait and em thinks that someone is a dick. Who that person is?
Speaker 3: Find out out Louders in a moment why you need a bigger world? So there's a TikTok by a man named Sean Johnson and it's going a bit viral on his page. Johnson gives a lot of philosophical advice from the lens of a CEO and a marketing professional, so they always have like this bit of like how you can apply this to the workplace, And he recently posted a video on why everyone needs a bigger world.
Speaker 4: Here is what he said, I'm not even.
Speaker 5: Sure that he would remember this, But in sophomore year in college, my roommate Ben gave me some of the best life advice I've ever received. I was working at Bennegan's at the time, and at the end of your shift, you were supposed to marry the ketchups where you have like two half ketchups in your full one to make a full one. And there was this one dude that just would skip it all the time, and it drove me crazy. And one night after work, I came home and I went on a rant about it for several minutes, and Ben looked at me after a minute and said, dude, you need a bigger world. And today, whenever I see the absurdity of various factions complaining about who is or is not performing at halftime I'm a major sporting event hypothetically, of course, or who is the or is not any movie, I think about this. I think whenever we feel out of control with our lives, we get bent out of shape about dumb stuff as a coping mechanism, either the behavior of others which we can't control, but at least we get to feel self righteous about it, or Munday in Things that candid Ler beneath Us.
Speaker 1: I love this.
Speaker 3: When I watched this video, I felt my ludial phase lift off me.
Speaker 2: What do you eat? Lad? Is it like bison?
Speaker 3: Ludia phase is like pmssing, like just before you get your period. And I felt all of those emotions because I was getting quite annoyed with you guys lift up me.
Speaker 1: And I was like, I just need a bigger world.
Speaker 3: And our friend Sam said that he suggests making a ten year plan that you always have because if you're always looking at a ten year plan, you always know there's something bigger for you to.
Speaker 2: Go out and touch grass and look.
Speaker 1: Down and sit outside.
Speaker 4: Do you agree that we all need a bigger world?
Speaker 1: No? I was listening to this and I was like, yes in terms of keeping things in perspective, But very often your small world is the only thing you can affect. Like it does matter whether or not the person refills the ketch up at the end of their shift, Like it genuinely does matter. That's their job, you know what I mean. But it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Matter to the other guy.
Speaker 1: Well, it's annoying to you if someone else, if that lends up on you, you know, what I mean, Like he isn't doing it, he just skips it. So I've got to do it, you know what I mean. I understand why. I totally get that. Don't sweat the small stuff. It's really important. You've got to keep your eye on things that you can control, like can control and all those things. But very often all we can control is our little world, and so it makes you feel like you are restoring some order, you know. It's one of the things. It's why people get so cross in local Facebook groups about pothole that's not being fixed, you know, like the person who was rude to them in the shop, right, that gets labeled as petty and karening and all those things. And it is and it can be, and it can definitely like whirl up into a kind of victory fury. But then in another way, it matters if the potholes are fixed. It matters if people are being polite to each other in a shop, you know what I mean. It does matter. The little things do matter to make the bigger world better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so interesting. I read what he said because I found myself doing the same thing. Right, I was like, oh, someone doesn't it as an employer someone doesn't it to he was being paid for that, and he needs to do it as part of his job. But then where I understood it was that his flatmate was getting really sick of hearing him talk about it. So the amount of energy he was expending on this little thing was disproportionate to how annoying the little thing was. And also that the impact and consequence of that little thing really on the world or even on this guy, or on the business. You know, if his coworker was stealing something out of the till or that was kind of different. But I it made me think that the person who put this clip in into a group chat that I was in said, you know, referred to a particular type person that we that we all know who's just obsessed with this thing that happened to them a really long time ago and cannot get over it and just has seemed really really stuck for years. And they've built this little altar of grievance around this thing, and it's fossilized and fossilized and calcified until that's become like a cornerstone of their identity. You're, and like at the expense of actually getting life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is such a good point because that is a very good example of when you need a bigger world. Yeah. But when when a particular grievance or your general frustration with everybody around you being a fuck witch. Yeah, you know, is coloring your worldview to a really negative place. Yeah. I mean in that case, absolutely bigger world is the lifting of that.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I do want to say that there was a pothole near my apartment and I was very upset about it because I'm not the best driver, and every time I was driving to my apartment, I forgot it was there, and my whole car hits the ground every single time. And it was pissing me off for so much. I was talking to everyone about it, complaining, and then I called up Sydney City Council and then they fixed it the next day.
Speaker 2: Did that they really did?
Speaker 1: Mate? We Well, I won't go down the rabbit hole of regional potholes how long it takes together.
Speaker 2: But that's amazing I find that I since I heard this, I'm telling myself when I need to get a bigger world, because it's easier to spoty in other people.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: And I like what he said about when the world feels out of control. Remember how we got very obsessed during COVID and during lockdown sorry trigger warning about people breaking a rule, because that seemed easier to control than the fact that we were locked in our houses for months and that was a global pandemic. And I know that the way my brain works, I sometimes have a problem differentiating between a small thing and a big thing.
Speaker 1: It's all just a big.
Speaker 2: Thing to me, and sometimes I'll find myself Now, since I watched that going small world or big World, do I need to get a bigger world? Or it?
Speaker 1: Really There was another video that did the rounds of our group chats, which was about which is sort of similar, but it's about very much about what you were just talking about, about somebody who can't let go of a grievance. But it was about not bringing the weather. I think this is Todd Sampson to speaking.
Speaker 6: Stop becoming the weather. Some men don't say I'm upset, They just make the room colder. The partner I was quiet, then the kids are starting to be careful, even the dog is checking the room. That's not strength, that's emotional climate change. You're allowed to have a bad mood, yes, you're not allowed to make everyone else live inside it.
Speaker 3: My favorite part of this video is that when he says some men just make the room colder, he pointed himself and goes, it's me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. This is interesting because I don't think it is only his point in this is obviously about men, because maybe he's talking about masculinity at the moment, but this isn't only men who do know, women are very good at bringing weather, right, Like if you have a face as well, there you go, everywhere you go.
Speaker 2: I I really I.
Speaker 1: Saw this when I was I remember reading it about some kind of rock star or something. I was reading a piece about recording with them, and someone said, what's it like recording with I don't know who it was. Let's say it's Madonna. What's it like recording with Madonna? And they said, well, a star that big brings the weather with them. Oh, And that is true, right is often the most powerful inverted or the most or maybe just the biggest personality brings the weather. And I remember when I read that, I realized that I do that. I'm not Madonna. I'm not that powerful, but sometimes you know, if you're let's say you're a small having a small world moment. Yeah, and you come into like the at say our planning meeting for out Loud, I've had a shit day, the community's been difficult, something's going on at home, And I sit down at the table and I'm bringing the weather. Right, if my mood is dark, if I'm impatient, if I'm snappy, I'm bringing the weather.
Speaker 2: I do too.
Speaker 3: I noticed this also when I was younger with my parents, and I could always tell if they had a bad day and I saw them in the evening, depending on their mood. And I actually remember listening to an episode of out Loud Whole and you said when your kid enters the room, always smile at them. Whenever you see your kids, always smile. And I remember sharing that episode with my mom and was like.
Speaker 1: You should try this. I think I was like twenty three at the time, and she was like, Okay, it's true. And Todd Samson in that grab, we played like he was we've been talking a lot about work. He was talking about it in relationships. That is also so true. Sometimes you have to bring the weather because they've been a quit and they've done something bad and they need to be punished by a bad mood. But it's like in general again, it's that like awareness of am I. It's the classic thing in a relationship where it's like, what's the matter? Nothing but your weather but system suggests otherwise.
Speaker 2: My question is what if your weather system is to do with the other person, Like like what if you're having a fight with your partner or your parent or your child. Then you know, isn't the weather kind of the point? Yes?
Speaker 1: And I think you can definitely. Then you're like weather god and you're implementing the weather for a purpose.
Speaker 2: Like I can tell when my partner walks into a room. I can tell if he's shitty with me. He doesn't eas enough to say a word, he doesn't have to look at me. I can tell literally by the way he's moving, the way he's walking. I can tell whether yeah, I think the people well, you can be at any level and bring the weather with you. When we first started, Mama Mayr and we had to make up.
Speaker 1: Core values.
Speaker 2: You know, when you talk about the culture of a business, the culture comes from the core values of that business and every business. You can do this in a family too, right, Everyone has to be able to refer to it to mean something that the values that that that business or that family or that person holds dear. And one of the ones that we had one was get shit done and don't freak out.
Speaker 1: They were two of them.
Speaker 2: Don't freak out was great because it was full on in that startups phase and also gets it done, which was just about how much there was to do. But a third one was put your sparkle on because for a lot of we had a lot of young people working in the office and we were a new we were working in very intense situations. But also everyone had stuff going on in their personal life, and there are some people who hadn't worked in an office before and they would come in with everything that was going on in their life and they would bring the weather with them. That's such a great way of putting it. So our idea about putt your sparkle on, which is.
Speaker 1: Leave that shit.
Speaker 2: At the door, don't bring the weather with you. And if you're going to bring the weather, bring the sunshine. And it can be really hard because you and I have bad poker face as whole. Like I can always tell when something's up with you, you can always tell when there's something up with something's up with me, we're not very good actors.
Speaker 1: And also you don't want to tip into toxic positivity. No, I just find it impossible.
Speaker 2: And when you are a leader in particular, you have to do a lot of putting your sparkle on. You have to really fake it because you know, leaders and people who have big personalities bring a lot more weather.
Speaker 1: They're big weather systems.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's also important because sometimes you don't even know you're bringing the weather with you until someone calls you out.
Speaker 2: Me.
Speaker 3: You called me out once before when I was in my early twenties and I just had the podcast The Undone, and it was like a dating podcast, and I went through like a really horrible time with the situationship and I was talking about on the podcast, but it was really seeping into my every day and you pulled me aside one day and you were like, you're losing your sparkle, and I was like, and that immediately made me realize, like I had no idea. It was like impacting all of these little pockets of my life. And I think it's only when someone calls it out you actually yourself realize how you've been like acting in little ways that you didn't even.
Speaker 1: Know you were. Now we need to know how to change the weather, how to change our weather. Yeah, well it goes actively shake it off. It's part of that.
Speaker 2: Bring your whole self to work. But it's like, no, actually don't you don't necessarily. I don't think the workplace isn't appropriate place to bring your whole self. I think with people who are close to you, you should bring your whole self if you want intimate relationships. I don't just mean sexual ones, I mean with your friends, right, But it's hard when you know someone really really well.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, everybody can't be I remember when I first was working with the Twins with Jesse and Claire, they'd be like, oh, you're all like hi every morning. I was a boss in those days, and I would come in and I do always say hello and that kind of stuff, and they'd be like, oh, so annoying, so jarring. I know, this is how we do it. You're polite, smiley to people in the dead Like it's a fine line between being fake and not and not being fake. But I think that being mindful of it, like most things, is half of it, isn't it. You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it can be performative, like when if I'm going through a difficult time or there's shit being written about MMA mea in the media. I'm very aware that people are looking to me in the same way you might look at a flight attendant on a plane during turbulence.
Speaker 1: Should I be worried? Yeah, to go?
Speaker 2: And so then I have to you know, no matter what the actual weather is, I have to make sure I'm bringing sunshine without being toxically positive.
Speaker 1: So how hard it's really interesting?
Speaker 2: Oh can be really hard, really really really hard. I mean they're harder things in life, like eating a bison, but.
Speaker 1: One bit of the time, exactly. I have one more type of people things to drop into the chat before we move on to recommendations. You recommended last week Colin from Accounts died season three and it's so good.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's ongoing right now.
Speaker 2: This.
Speaker 1: I promise it's not a spoiler in this because I tried to talk to Elier about this yesterday and she got upset with me in a nice way. She got upset with me because she's like, no spoilers. But there is a line in Colin from Accounts that I had to stop the TV and to write it down. So I remembered where one character says to another one they're talking about a woman who someone is dating, and they say, she's such a ring picker.
Speaker 2: Gordon and I.
Speaker 1: Kid it down because I know exactly what a ring picker is. Yeah, do you it's yes.
Speaker 3: It's someone who wants to pick out their own engagement ring.
Speaker 1: And therefore also wants to control the insinuation there is. This is a person who wants to control things. Yeah. Is that what you took from it? Nope?
Speaker 3: I was like, there's nothing wrong with being a ring picker. Some of us are very particular about it.
Speaker 1: If you're worried, it doesn't get to be negative. But the point is there are types of people, and there a ring picker is an is an identifiable type of person. I thought it was.
Speaker 2: It was referring to someone who was like getting ahead of the relationship, who was like wanting to pick a ring, you know, like in the same way doodling your name in someone's last name. Yeah, you do it prematurely.
Speaker 3: Like that, Like if I get you allowed to be, I get into a relationship. I'm very clear in the first few dates, like if this goes well, we're getting engaged in this amount of time, and then we're getting married in this amount of time, and then if I want kids, we'll have kids in this amount of time.
Speaker 1: You're a ring picker.
Speaker 2: Oh you're also a ring picker. I am not.
Speaker 1: You are You've literally very dare you?
Speaker 2: You've literally picked your own ring and sent a link to Brent and told him what to buy you.
Speaker 1: For your part? I actually didn't, Penny did it? But yeah, that's true. That's true.
Speaker 2: But that's different because how much is that just pragmatism going?
Speaker 1: He's got bad tape. So here's the thing, hybrid It doesn't I don't. As I said, I don't think there being a ring picker is necessarily a negative thing. But when we're talking about writing the captures personality, which is why I stop and write that down, there are some generalizations that just work really well. And as soon as you say that, I know what that means. It's not necesarily a bad thing. It's a woman who is not going to put up with wearing a piece of jewelry on her hand that she doesn't like, which is fine.
Speaker 2: Not only am I a ring picker, I'm a ring buyer. Yes, I just buy my own rings.
Speaker 1: But it's not not your engay a ring though, right, although you did, I think so you're a ring picker. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I bought my own just well. Jason obviously got me one and I decided I didn't I wanted a certain type and I didn't pick it. But I was like, I don't want diamonds. I was going through my feminist stage. I don't want diamonds, and so he got me no diamonds, and then a few years later I was like, I want diamonds, and then I lost when he got me anyway. But now if I want something up, but that's also because I'm not I don't like gifts. I like buying things for myself, so I'm very controlling in that way.
Speaker 1: You two are like a writer's nightmare, do you know that? Like you're like, but yeah, but this, but that's like, oh yeah, no, I'm sorry. Good way of describing it.
Speaker 2: It is that is you're a ring picker or not a ring picker. You don't have to have actually picked a ring.
Speaker 4: Ring, A ring picker through and through without a ring.
Speaker 2: Being a nose picker. Blah blah blah. After the break, AM's gonna laugh.
Speaker 1: I was trying to remember if I still smile at my children. I think so after they break the mascara.
Speaker 2: M won't shut up about the veil that Holly loved and the lunch that I've eaten every day this week.
Speaker 6: Vibes ideas atmosphere, something casual, something fun.
Speaker 1: This is my best recommendation.
Speaker 2: It's Friday, so we want to help set up your weekend and just your whole life with our best recommendations. I want to start with the most superficial first, which.
Speaker 1: Is in Hello, it's me.
Speaker 3: I'm recommending a product today. It's a mascara. I'm wearing it right.
Speaker 2: Your life is looking at it.
Speaker 3: I actually haven't worn mascara. I want to say six months, remember you did?
Speaker 1: We did a show where you told us Viscara was dead and I got very upset.
Speaker 2: You can you leave? I now look like a mole, like an actual mole. It's just exactly crawled out of a hole. Look at this without muscaras. It's a newish one from Maybelene. It's called sky Tubes and it's part of the Lash Sensational brand. I do love a Maybe Lee muscara.
Speaker 1: It's so good.
Speaker 3: It's fifteen dollars. I think it's actually like fourteen dollars fifty or something. It's a tubular for formation, which means.
Speaker 2: Keeps getting better.
Speaker 3: Instead of it being like a little product on your eyelashes, what they do is code your eyelashes in a little tube and then when you take off your mascara, it literally just crumbles off. It's like a little spiders yes with water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it because I'm and this may be an eight thing, maybe not, but I have watery eyes. So if I wear non tubular mascara, I'm a panda in five minutes. So only tube and I cry a lot. And also, just what is waterproof? So it only comes off with warm water one swipe, You're not losing eyelashes, no, missmaging. It's perfect.
Speaker 2: I love that so much, and you can get it from the chemist.
Speaker 1: We need to find a way to capture this.
Speaker 2: Ohle, you liked a podcast.
Speaker 1: I know, and I know it's controversial to ever recommend of the podcast because me it does. But it's pretty good with good reason. Your ears have only got so much to fill you up with, so maybe you don't even have to listen to this one. You just need to know about it because it's interesting.
Speaker 2: So true, Well, I won't be anyway.
Speaker 1: Can go on Elizabeth Day, who you've interviewed more than once, I think yeah. Actually, who's a British writer podcaster of some renown has a very very famous show called how to Fail. I'm sure we've all heard it. Last week she had the new British Prime Minister on it, Andy Burnham. And the only reason this is interesting because, as Mia will attest, generally speaking, politicians on long form interview podcasts are not that interesting. We've done many of them. You've done some.
Speaker 2: Hard work, okay, because they're very good at being interview They're better than most people. Yeah, they're not say well, I don't say know how not to say anything.
Speaker 1: But we've talked a bit on on out Loud about how going on podcasts, and particular long form podcasts with politicians has become absolute table stakes. They have to do it and it can be really risky, as we've seen this past week or so with the continuing fallout from Albow going on a comedy show where he did the shoot mar he Killed thing with Kylie and then he made a comment about Japanese from the.
Speaker 2: Same as a gypsumatic incident. I believe now.
Speaker 1: That's got international anyway, So risky business, right. Elizabeth Day had the new British Prime Minister and he's a dude called Andy Burnham, and she said that she had never managed to get a prime minister or a high profile politician on her show before, because none of them wanted to go on a show that had the word fail in the title, which is so interesting and tells you a lot of what's wrong with political communication. That they would it would be weaponized against them, that it would seem like they had failures. The reason this is interesting is Andy Burnham like him or not? And obviously I'm I've got a predisposition to like him because he's from Manchester. But is giving everybody a bit of a masterclass in digital communication. He's exceptionally good on social media. He is doing things like this and he talks like a normal person and he is so engaging on it. It may be the Sandwich generation in me, but I did shed a little tear when he talked about the fact that his dad doesn't though he's got he's Prime Minister, because he's got dementia and he's in a care home and then nurses all got him around the telly and that was very touching, but anyway, more interesting from a political communication point, there was a bit where I nearly stopped the car because Elizabeth Day says something to him, like he talks about how he worries about being sucked back into the political machine coming back to Westminster or whatever and not being true to himself and blah blah, and Elizabeth Day says, and are you worried about that happening again? And he just says yes and then stops. That's the end of the sentence. And I was like, when do you ever just hear a politician that's so true? Because what they do is that bridge thing, and it's really clever. Once you're aware of it, you'll hear it in every interview any politician does. They basically ignore the question if they don't want to answer it, and they'll just bridge and then say something that they do want to say. So it's very rare that they're just direct and honest, right it Actually it was strange, And then it made me think there's so much talk these days about how what everybody wants from politicians more than anything, the much overused term of all authenticity, but like talk like a normal person, react like a normal person. He's very good at that, and it's very interesting. It's a really interesting interview. How do you think it worked for him? I think it did. I think obviously as me and I was better than anyone. There's a lot of strategy of why he would choose to go on Elizabeth Day female voters. But also it's a brave thing to do because even though she gave him pretty easy right, she wasn't really sales in him.
Speaker 2: But that's the sort of the equivalent of I don't know, doing a story in the Women's Weekly once upon a time. You know, it's it's showing the human side, you know, getting getting a longer stretch of time. It's not combative, You're not going to be asked tough questions. You can really get show people who you are. So when you say, what the modern media cycle demands is that and we know that celebrities have solved that by just starting their own podcasts and interviewing each other, So that have to go, you know, ask be asked a single question that I want to be asked. Why do you think it didn't work for Albow? Because he was himself on that, but he sort of forgot.
Speaker 1: Also what he I think he made the wrong choice of podcasts. Yes in the Halbow, what are you doing? He went on a podcast that was a blatant po comedy podcast that the actual the whole premise of it is a very very old fashioned word. But Rye Bald kind of like ye know Inuendo was Kyle esque. Yeah, but it was a female interviewer. It was just full of landmines and the things that he's actually good at it were not on display. And I think that when we say we want to hear politicians sound like ordinary people, that doesn't necessarily mean me want to sound like comedians. Well, I know you know what I mean like, but we just want them to sound, not like we're just getting all the sound by.
Speaker 2: Because when I did that no filter with Albow the first time, I think it was before, just before he became Home Minister. That episode, unlike most politician episodes, did so well and so many people said they loved it because he was very human. He spoke about his mum, he talked about and talked about his upbringing, about his divorce, and he was not selling anything and he was I mean, it's it's hard, isn't it, Because you when everybody's waiting for you to fuck up and trying to weaponize everything that you say, you have to be a lot more cautious.
Speaker 1: But I also wonder, and you know, this might just be conjecture, but whether he would be able to be like that now, almost after years of actually been prime minister.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Like it's like politics makes you less and less human all the time. And obviously Andy Burnham was in a similar situation. He's at the beginning of his prime ministership. He's probably got a bit more leeway to be. Yeah, that was a fuck up. That was a mistake. I messed that up, and that blah blah because he's not the boss. But it's a genuinely really good episode. So I'm recommending it if you're interested in that kind of thing.
Speaker 4: I'm interested.
Speaker 1: I think Elizabeth Day is great generally speaking.
Speaker 2: Out loud, as will have been following some time back, maybe my quest for a new lunch. I yeah, peanut butter toast was a mainstay for years, years and years and music, and then one day I just couldn't eat it anymore. And I haven't eaten it since and that was a good well over a year ago. And I'm going to be honest, I've been struggling since then. I just have not been able to find my lunch. I think I might have found it, and it's quite recent and it's quite exciting.
Speaker 1: Is bison.
Speaker 2: I'm a vegetarian, so it's not bison, No, but it is cottage cheese, not just on its own, because that would be sad, even sadder than cottae cheese.
Speaker 1: Alre it is.
Speaker 2: It's very funny because being this age, it does feel like eating or maybe any age, but particularly.
Speaker 1: Our age hole is.
Speaker 2: It feels like eating protein is your full time job. And it's very funny in them'm may kitchen. We all come with our boiled eggs, and how you did a cracker the other day? What was your.
Speaker 1: Smoked salmon, cottage cheese and an egg and an egg? Yeah, that was your breakfast.
Speaker 2: And I was like, trifecta hole you're doing. You're putting a sort of shape. But I'm throwing back to my mum was an early adopter of so many things. She made me have, like vegetable juice and rescue remedy and like homeopathic stuff. And I had to have wholemeal bread at my birthday parties.
Speaker 1: She would put sprouts.
Speaker 2: In the vegimite sandwiches on vogel breadying That's why I had no friends my parents.
Speaker 1: My mom was like that.
Speaker 2: I was a bit seventies, no seventies, but anyway, it sort of obviously seeped in. But one of the things she used to do is give me Pean cottage cheese and jam sandwiches.
Speaker 1: Cottag cheese and jam.
Speaker 2: Cottage cheese and jams. So the cottage cheese is the protein and the jam makes it a sweet treat. And so she raised my children on cottage cheese and jam sandwiches as well. Whenever they went to her house, they get very nostalgic about cottage cheese and jam sandwiches because that's what they were given. That's all My mom and I are not fantastic cooks. But so now I've started reminding myself that cottage cheese great protein, sweet treat. Whack it on some toast. That's my lunch.
Speaker 1: Cottage cheese and jam on toast. Yeah, we need to get you some more meg and jam. Yeah, that would do.
Speaker 2: I'll use any old thing. I'll use any old thing. Yeah, strawberry jam is best, but I highly recommend if you're trying to find a way. Yeah, we've got a particular type of Helga's that I really like here. Mixed grain is my demand, and.
Speaker 1: Bread it has to be.
Speaker 2: It has to be helped, No, it has to be Helger's mixed grain.
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 2: But so yeah, because I know that it can be a real drudge trying to get all the protein. And you knew that you admit to get in under day and that's just like quite a fun way you could have. It doesn't desert my life exciting you don't.
Speaker 1: We've really got to go because, as discussed once upon a time, the Internet does run out at some point. But we have to tell you about one more thing. You know, we like to give this subscribers a gift. There is a new one going on because the book giveaway is over right. The new one is that all Mama Mere subscribers get exclusive twenty percent off from a shop called Now is Beautiful. It's got clothes, it's got handbags, accessories, home weares, gifts, stuff, cash, it's a bit.
Speaker 2: It is if you want to up your house or your wardrobe.
Speaker 3: I have a pair of flared jeans from there that I've had for a few years now.
Speaker 2: They hold up.
Speaker 1: I have some socks throw back to our first segment. I have some beautiful red cashmere socks for sure. Anyway, if you are already a subscriber, you don't have to do anything. If you shop at jeuws you get your twenty percent off and if you sign up now then you will get instant access to your discount code as well of course, of access to everything Mamma Mia does, including our fitness app. Oh my god. If you're waiting for a weight training update for me, I've been sticking to it, the Move weights app. It's really handy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can have your cutt of cheese and jam sandwich and then going during your weights work. Mel Robbins would be proud.
Speaker 1: Love you is all. See you nye bye. Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we've recorded this podcast.