Speaker 1: Welcome Tomoma Mia out loud, out louders. It is what women are actually talking about on Wednesday, the twenty second of July. And my name is Hollyway right, my name is Amelia Lasto and my name is even And here's what's on our agenda for today, Shit skirts and bin faces. The UK has a new PM and I have a very quick cheat sheet.
Speaker 2: For an intro, plus how to get into the most exclusive club in the world.
Speaker 3: And why women are raising twenty years off of their career.
Speaker 1: But first, in case you missed it, Emily Vernon.
Speaker 3: In case you miss it, Australian politics have given us a tiny gold nugget of something that doesn't really have much to do with politics at all. So earlier this week, politician and Member of One Nation Barnaby Joyce was being interviewed by the ABC. He was dialing in remotely outside of his home in New South Wales and he was answering questions about his leaders Pauline Hansen's alleged European working holiday.
Speaker 4: So this is what happened.
Speaker 5: It seems to me, Barnaby Joyce, that your decision to defect to One Nation is dragging you further into a place of intolerance and racial discrimination. You're defending your leader, but are you really comfortable with where she is taking you?
Speaker 6: I think.
Speaker 4: Sorry, it's a dog.
Speaker 7: It's a dog.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 2: Barnaby's got form when it comes to dogs. Do you remember back in twenty seventeen, he was Deputy Prime Minister at the time and Johnny Depp bought his dogs Pistol and Boo. These were the dogs he shed with Amber heard to Australia and then Barnaby, well, Barnaby issued a threat.
Speaker 9: Let's listen.
Speaker 6: It comes to the next issue, which is a gentleman by the name of John Christopher Depp, and he has decided to bring into our nation two dogs without actually getting the proper certification and the proper permits required. Basically looks like he snuck them in. Now mister deb has to either take his dogs back to California or we're gonna have to euthanize them.
Speaker 1: Remember he threatened Pistol and Blit Boo. It was a big deal.
Speaker 9: That's such a rec threat to the dogs.
Speaker 2: He gave him something like forty eight hours and he said, if you don't get them out in forty eight hours, I'm going to put them out.
Speaker 1: Is what you're suggesting that Barnaby is no friend to the dog.
Speaker 2: I mean, it doesn't sound like it, though, I will say Barnaby said today apparently the dog's name is Stella. She's a little dog and like a young dog. I don't know the size of Stella because no photos have been released of Stella. But he says that Stella still loves him, So make of that what you will.
Speaker 1: I love this because two things. I love the way he goes to Sarah Ferguson. It's a dog like because he does have two small children in the house.
Speaker 9: He's like, we can't have any.
Speaker 7: Confusion about that.
Speaker 1: A dog, it's But then the other thing I love is what's unfolded in the two days since this, and is like, you wouldn't yell at a city cavoodle like that, but you can yell at a country dog like that. So really Barnaby is being true blue.
Speaker 2: It's also a little bit interesting slash coincidental that Sarah Ferguson no one for her tough questions ramps up to the toughest question of the interview, which is why you aligned with Pauline Hanson when she's getting ever more extreme in her policies, and at that very moment, poor little Stella happens to interrupt.
Speaker 1: So your other thesis is that maybe Stella was imaginary at this point.
Speaker 9: Oh, we need bought him sometime.
Speaker 1: Distraction tactic, bring the dog in.
Speaker 3: I'd like to hear from Stella. Actually, I need to know what went down.
Speaker 1: Every gardener was once just a girl standing in front of a scary nightclub bouncer asking to be allowed into a very cool clubs.
Speaker 3: Oh Holly, that makes me want to give young you a little bit.
Speaker 1: It's true, it's true. We've all been there, worried that their inherent uncoolness is somehow on blatant display, like it's somewhere hidden in your haircut, or your shoes or the jacket that you put on because it was cold. But clearly that doesn't matter. Look, we've all been there, and that's why I love this story in the Financial Times about a woman, well, a writer called Anne Sylvain Chissan. She was trying to get into arguably the world's coolest club. Right it's called Bergaine. Oh yeah, and it's in Berlin.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: The amount of people who I know who have traveled to Berlin and have tried to get into it is insane.
Speaker 1: Because it won't surprise you to know, or maybe it will that I'm not deep in club culture anymore, but even I know that Berlin has the coolest clubs right and that this is the coolest of them. It inspired the Berlin club scene, including Bergaine, inspired all of my friend Harry Styles new record CHALAMAI goes there. Lots of people go there. The door policy is famously brutal. So our writer friend Anne, she tried and tries. She studies the law, she reads the history of the place. She knows who the bouncer is. He's very famous, very scary looking guy with a lot of facial period.
Speaker 2: If there's anything that is super cool, it is doing homework.
Speaker 9: So I'm so glad that she approach.
Speaker 1: The bouncer like the door policeman is called Sven Marquant and he has a face full of piercings and no fucks to give. That is truth. So he stands on the door and he says the words we've all heard, not tonight.
Speaker 9: Ladies, except in German, which is even more terrifying.
Speaker 1: Anyway, she tries and tries, and then it's a twenty four hour club, this one, right, So sometimes she tries at eight am, sometimes she tries at six pm, sometimes she tries at ten pm, and then eventually she gets in. Do you want to know what made the difference to her getting She took off all her makeup.
Speaker 4: Smart.
Speaker 1: I scrubbed off every trace of makeup, convinced my deal lipstick had betrayed me? Amelia? Are you going bear faith to get into this club?
Speaker 2: So this will probably surprise no one. I have literally never stood in a nightclub.
Speaker 9: Line? Is that because she just I've never been to a nightclub. I don't even know what happens at them.
Speaker 3: You've never been never.
Speaker 1: It's like, goodness, New York City.
Speaker 9: Even when I was sang in New York City and have a cocktail then I go home.
Speaker 3: So all your pairs of shoes must be so clean?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 9: Is that what happens in clubs?
Speaker 1: Stick anyway? Okay, you've never known a Look.
Speaker 2: Here here's my sort of angle on this and why I'm obsessed with this story. And it's because Elon Musk couldn't get into this club, and people think that's why he went crazy.
Speaker 9: What let me explain. There's a big investigation about this, I want.
Speaker 1: To let him into my club.
Speaker 4: Either.
Speaker 1: To be fair I was, I'd be like, sorry, love not tonight.
Speaker 2: That So in twenty twenty two, Elon Musk goes to Berlin because he's opening a new Tesla factory in Germany.
Speaker 9: He's the world's richest man this point.
Speaker 2: He goes obviously to Bergan Bergaine and he says, I want to get in, and then he claims that he left the line because the word piece was written on the outside wall, and he famously hates the word piece and it drove him into such a rage that he left the line.
Speaker 9: That is his story.
Speaker 1: One second, he hates the word piece, like.
Speaker 9: Who hates the word.
Speaker 2: So anyway, Bergaine declined to comment on whether they did or did not refuse him entry, but on Reddit some musers said they did get him see him get turned away by none other than Spend Mark Quat himself and I'm famous obsessed with Spen, the famous bouncer who was very lavishly pierced. Anyway, it seems there's a couple of reasons why people think he didn't get in. You want to hear them. So the first one is that he went at the worst possible time. A Vice writer named Catherine Fields has written that any crash course in Berlin nightlife will start with a lesson on peak hours. People in America, probably people in Australia who think Friday and Saturday nights at the regular time to go to a club.
Speaker 9: Oh no, no, no, it's not when the cool people very touristy.
Speaker 2: Any time between ten pm and six or seven am.
Speaker 9: It's just hopelessly touristy. Forget about it.
Speaker 1: Another reason, well, see Harry and Zelle in there at that time.
Speaker 2: No, it's the seriously going at like two o'clock after for the people with the vodka.
Speaker 7: Oh day, drinking.
Speaker 9: Gives me a headache. Okay.
Speaker 2: Another reason could be because he was dressed pretty casually, as people said, look, you've never seen him in anything other than basically a T shirt and jeans, And as this Vice investigation pointed out, the most casually dressed person coming out of that club on a recent night was wearing a leather trench coat and had dyed blue hair. So it could be that he just wasn't dressed very well, not in blin. The third reason is.
Speaker 9: That he doesn't give off the right vibe.
Speaker 2: Sven is all about the vibe check and a university mate of Masks has said he's very straightly, he doesn't like to drink, and then here's a quote from him.
Speaker 9: There were some nights where I'd be like, where's Elon?
Speaker 2: And I go up to his room and pound on the door and he's in there alone playing a video game.
Speaker 1: What's with the makeup?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: So because Elon probably wasn't wearing makeup and it didn't work for him, why are you cooler without makeup?
Speaker 3: I think you have to look like you're part of the vibe. So my TikTok feed is completely filled with videos of people teaching other people on how to get into this nightclub. I found a video from a TikToker. Her TikToker name is Mayor Abroad and she's an American who's been living in Berlin since twenty eighteen, and she posted a video that now has over two million views because it's has step by step guide on how to get into night club.
Speaker 4: I need you guys listen to this.
Speaker 11: How to actually get into Berkhein. Here's the ultimate guide. First and foremost, if you're a tourist who doesn't even like techno and isn't interested in the music one bit. Honestly, don't even try going here. If you just want to have a crazy time. You don't have a clue. The bouncer is gonna smell that shit from a mile away, and if you don't fit the vibe and the party, they're not gonna want you there. So if you're actually into techno and you're up for the challenge, the first thing you got to nail is your outfit. As you probably know by now, you should wear all blacks, stay away from name brands, anything that doesn't fit the grungy vibe. I'd recommend wearing something mesh like bra tops, harnesses, a grunge skirt or shorts. You can never go wrong with chains. For makeup, go with dark eyeliner and eyeshadow and try to slick your hair back with gel.
Speaker 9: Okay, this sounds like.
Speaker 1: Who's getting hair is maybe you nineteen eighties tongue.
Speaker 3: I think it's just like matrix, like just go as like someone vibe.
Speaker 1: It's very like techno serious right like? And this is clearly very much what.
Speaker 9: If it's a cold Berlin can get very.
Speaker 1: In the cold, but let the trench coat yeah, or like maybe a black passage.
Speaker 9: I got one of those, Like.
Speaker 3: You feel the colt, you're there for techno dancing. You can't feel the trench. I do, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: But you know you're up in the north of England standing in nightclub queues in minus five while wearing a bra top. It's in my DNA.
Speaker 7: It's because you just have to drink.
Speaker 3: A lot so you don't feel anything.
Speaker 1: And again there's drinking.
Speaker 3: But the top comment from this video was also another suggestion that said the best method is to wear a backpack. The bouncer sees it and knows you're the type to stay long. Throw an extra outfit and self care products too. I got in that way.
Speaker 9: Wow, wow, oh my god.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad these days are behind me. I just remember the anxiety of standing in a queue for a really long time and then getting to the front and just seeing their eyes and you're like, you're like, I know if you don't have to say, or even worse, your friends get in and you Doug oh, Harry Styles gets in and you like that.
Speaker 2: This is some real news I can use. So basically, no makeup, leather trench, mesh, bra top and gel that's what you're going to wear to the next out loud recording.
Speaker 9: Honestly, we might let you in.
Speaker 1: What I've just been told by our producer is that we're also on call the We've been saying the name of the club wrong all the way through.
Speaker 2: It's actually called Bergheim. I'm really then, We're so sorry. In a moment, Britain has a new Prime Minister and Holly is excited about it. A shit suit update.
Speaker 7: Hi louders, it's meya here.
Speaker 8: I recorded our scurelous Gossip Tuesday subscriber episode with em and Holly. We talked about the coolest wedding of the year that you weren't invited to that wasn't Taylor Swift because maybe you went to that a lot of people did. We also spoke about j Lo's very passive, aggressive heavenly photo dump to celebrate her fifty seventh birthday and how her sister might feel about that.
Speaker 7: So much more Gossip. There's a link in the show notes Got it in your ears?
Speaker 2: Britain has its seventh Prime minister since twenty sixteen. Andy Burnham has vowed to bring back hope to the country in a speech delivered controversially without a turned outside Number ten Downing Street yesterday.
Speaker 12: I know people at home are fed up with politics. I hear you, and I want to be honest with you. We have not been good enough and we need to be better. We will be We will make this moment a circuit breaker for Britain.
Speaker 9: Holly.
Speaker 2: I know that it's cool that he didn't use a elect turn, and I know that you love his northern accent. But to me, he looks largely like the last man who was Prime Minister. So I'm not getting the hype about why he's the second coming. You got to explain it to me.
Speaker 1: How very dare you, really, Lester? How very dare you suggest that this middle aged white man is not massively different from the last middle aged white man.
Speaker 2: They both have glasses. Neither of them will get in at Bergheim?
Speaker 9: What is the differen though?
Speaker 1: Burnham might get into Bergheim because he is the cool he is the INDIEPM. Right, he's from Manchester. The man has stood in a few nightclub lines in his life. We know this about him.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know, because he got rid of hot left turn guy.
Speaker 1: Well here's the first. So this is interesting because so Andy Burnham. We talked about this briefly a few weeks ago, but he was the mayor of Manchester, Right's may and Manchesters for quite a long time. Popular mayor seem to do quite a lot of good stuff, think Mam Darmi, but not quite as radical, right, but think about like the enthusiasm for a local mayor who actually appears to do the other thing he has in common with Mam Danny. Mam Darmi is very good on social media, a great communicator, a little bit cringe sometimes, but gives it a red hot go. The opposite of the politicians who are all really afraid of it and don't know.
Speaker 2: Wat is he like sitting in his car putting on his lip liners saying like today in Manchester.
Speaker 1: It's very like that. Actually he did his first few days. So anyway, back to the lectern for a minute before I get to that. So it's rare that he put a foot wrong, which he did by doing away with hot Legtern.
Speaker 9: Guys who was hot Leg turn?
Speaker 1: So what because so Britain's had seven prime ministers since breaksit, so in ten years that's a lot. I mean, Australia, we feel the pain. We went through a period of that ourselves. But every time we knew that a prime minister was about to resign or was about to take the job outside Number ten, first of all, the cat would walk out and walk around a little bit and be like like something's going on here today, and there'd be lots of social media about that. And then this hot young man would wheel out electorn and put it in place and set up the mics and stuff. And he became so familiar to the British problem because of the.
Speaker 3: Constant turnover a prime minister and recognize his bicepter.
Speaker 1: And I think that Burnham so as I say, Burnham is social social media savvy, and I think he was like I'm not having that guy stealing my thunder.
Speaker 9: On my big day, right.
Speaker 1: So he's been through a lot to get here, Burnham, because he was the mayor of Manchester, he wasn't actually a sitting member of Parliament. And obviously you have to be wont to be prime minister. But the previous Prime minister, Kirstarma, had become so unpopular that it became obvious that if Labor wants to hold onto anything, you know, long term, they were going to have to swap him out and roll the lectern and.
Speaker 4: The cat out again.
Speaker 1: So Burnham had to have a bi election in Manchester just to become an MP, but he won it resoundingly.
Speaker 4: That was great.
Speaker 1: So now he's come down to London. I'm his train with his big boy pants and he's standing. He's like he is now prime Minister. The ways that he's different might be subtle to you, Amelia, but to Brits who are very finely tuned to these things, his accent is a big deal. He is the first Prime minister to have a Northern English accent in fifty years.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: The last prime minister to have a Northern English accent was in the nineteen seventies. So think about like that might not sound like a big deal, but if you think, even here in Australia at the minute, how much of how much it's becoming a thing about like powers so centralized. No one cares about the regions, No one cares about anywhere except the big city elites. And in they're not comparable parable countries because the populations are so different. But in Britain that's.
Speaker 4: A big deal.
Speaker 1: Like the London elites are a big deal, right, think of the fact that out of the fifty nine prime ministers Briton's ever had, twenty of them went to the same private school they went to eat where Prince William, Prince Harry goes. Right, So this is a state educated Northern English dude who knows how to use a smartphone. We're gonna get to that minute, and that seems like wow, it's He also generally doesn't wear a suit. We were talked about this the other week. He wears a T shirt and a jacket and he thinks he's very cool.
Speaker 2: But interestingly he was wearing this Why is that it's the shit suit to wear?
Speaker 8: Of it?
Speaker 3: But I think that it's the suit that your mum puts you in for school photo day.
Speaker 1: You're like is and you can tell it's part of his charm that he's a little bit uncomfortable in the suit because he's just a bloke. He's just a bloke like you, you know. And it's funny because there are lots of videos on his socials that are showing how hard he's working. He's doing interviews with YouTubers where they're standing on ladders and then he's doing quick fire questions I know, and a lot of people are kind of like, are you running the country? Are you making content? But those people don't understand what we're dealing with now, So there's a lot of there's a lot of.
Speaker 2: You're giving the energy of going into the comments and responding to every single comment. That's like he's not working hard enough, saying you don't understand.
Speaker 9: He's the king of the Lord exactly.
Speaker 1: King of the norm. He's got this cheerful, happy, worry vibe even as he knifed all of kar Starbus supporters and throw them out the door and said, you're out of a job.
Speaker 7: I'm bringing in my guys now.
Speaker 9: But it's but peace and love.
Speaker 1: So look, we'll see what happens. One of the first things he's doing that's upsetting a lot of people is is is saying yes to a lot of coal and gas, which is not very cool. But the other thing he is doing, which is very smart, and I think like Albow's probably watching Burnham a bit and taking some notes on the back of his hand, like that is he said that his government has one focus, one focus only, which is cost of living. He's like, we are a one issue government, which is very smart to say, but impossible to pull off, so we'll see.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm really happy for this guy.
Speaker 9: I hope it works that well for him.
Speaker 3: There is only, however, one British politician that I care about. His name is bin Face, no idea.
Speaker 7: What he looks like.
Speaker 3: Are we done with him because I'm not ready to let him go.
Speaker 1: We're not done with him, but we probably have another chance to talk about him because the buyers. It's a bit weedy, right, but we all know who Nigel Farage is. He is the leader of Reform, which is like the one Nation just for you, and he's recently gotten a bit of trouble because he seems to have been taking millions of dollars from like slightly shady sources and not declaring us sing where it's going, and so parliamentary inquiry is being set up into how Reform is being funded, and instead of playing along with it, he said, I'm gonna quit. I'm throwing my toes out of the pram and I'm gonna see if my electric care about the five million dollars or not. I'm going to stand in a by election. And all the other parties said this is bullshit. We're not going to stand against you. And Count bin Faith, who is the man who's always standing on the podium whenever anyone wins an election. He's a comedian. He said, well, I'll run against you. So the Clacton by election is in August and it's going to be Farage and bin Face and a couple of other comedy candidates, including an ossie who's just decided to throw his hat in the ring and say why not.
Speaker 2: Did you see there was an article i think in the Guardian like interviewing acquaintances of Count bin Face, and someone was like, he takes it very seriously, like he's that guy who comes to the pub and won't get out of character.
Speaker 9: Like he's like, please address me as mister bin Face.
Speaker 1: His policies include I will build one affordable house.
Speaker 2: No and also another key thing cheap croissants, which I think we can all get on board.
Speaker 1: With one pound limit on croissants. And he thinks that Adele should be nationalized. There you go, UK politics sorted.
Speaker 7: In a minute.
Speaker 1: The powerful people who insist on not using smartphones and the woman behind them ordering the uber. It's the ultimate creative flex. Actually, when I was in Tazzy, I know that when I was in Tazzy has become one of my like drink statements. Lately, I was at the very cool Mona Museum and I was standing in a queue to get on the ferry back behind Daniel John's. Oh, one of the coolest creatives Australia has ever produced. He doesn't have a couldn't, couldn't used to, couldn't the.
Speaker 9: Boat because he famously does with makeup.
Speaker 1: He would definitely get into the gain. He would definitely get in anyway. He couldn't zap onto the boat because he doesn't have a smartphone. Right, and fellow creative genius Christopher Nolan knows Daniel Johns's pain. He might be the man who's just brought them is back to the cinema. Parent that movie that you like, Odyssey is enormous. It's like Billions anyway. Whatever he Christopher Nolan who made that, he can't scan his boarding pass at the airport. He can make a genius movie, but he can't do that because he has no smartphone. Ed Shearon doesn't have a smartphone. Lots and lots of people is the flex now to be I'm not going to be distracted by all that we've done a bit about air pods. We all know what the what the phone's doing to us. But here's the problem. Modern life demands a smartphone much of the time.
Speaker 9: How does Christopher Nolan pay for parking?
Speaker 1: That's what I mean, order himself a burrito? Like anyway. So if you're not buying in, someone who hangs around you probably is buying in.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So if you're a Christopher Nolan or an Ed Shearing, you've probably got an assistant who's got a smartphone.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In fact, when Daniel Johns couldn't get on the boat, he had a mate who was with him. Who and as Is Ansari, who is the American comedian gave an interview recently saying, well a couple actually saying that he doesn't have a smartphone, but revealing who in his life does. Here's a little bit of him on the THEO von Pod.
Speaker 13: I don't keep a smartphone on me. I don't. I blocked all shit on the Internet. I don't really use the internet. So sometimes I'll just ask my wife's stuff the same way you're asking this guy, and she's like, you know, I'm not the Internet.
Speaker 7: I'm your wife.
Speaker 13: I've gotten lost and had to call her and been like, hey, where where?
Speaker 9: This sounds very annoying.
Speaker 1: See what I mean? A lot of times I'll ask her stuff, he says. Sometimes I'll be walking around and I just got to call my wife and ask her for directions. I'm like, I'm here, how do I get there? And she'll help me out.
Speaker 9: Do you know who asked me to google things on the internet? My eight year old? I think that's appropriate.
Speaker 7: Yes, right?
Speaker 1: So he was Andrew Barrymore's talk show talking about this too, and she was saying, yeah, I'm trying to get rid of my phone, and they were all bonding about their flip phones and it's the coolest thing in the world, blah blah. But em is it possible to live in the world without a smartphone and not hand over all that labor to somebody else?
Speaker 3: Absolutely not. The only people who can do this are literally the elite, like the celebrities or the celebrities. I actually do know a few people. They're not my friends. Their friends are friends people who don't have smartphones. But it's like a friend's partner. And it's interesting because I always thought that was the ultimate flex is having a partner who doesn't have a smartphone. Because then you don't have to worry about like their presence on the internet. But then when I listen to this grab by Azizasari, I'm like, oh, so then that partner just becomes your child, Like you're essentially doing everything for them because they need a smartphone to get around. The only person in my life who does, who has a smartphone but never uses it is my eighty seven year old Nana, So she keeps the phone on her and then someone will call her on the phone and then she has to be like, can you answer this for me?
Speaker 9: Please? Totally get into berg Eye.
Speaker 1: She I bet people who don't have phones definitely get into bird.
Speaker 3: But I'm like, I find it so interesting, especially in today's day and age, Like how do you maintain relationships? How do you keep friendships? How do you pay for dinner? How do you show your ID when you get into burg Eye?
Speaker 9: And like, I don't understand.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to hear Amelia because I know she's really cool and intellectually superior to the rest of us, does she though?
Speaker 9: But I also want to know how what a setup hold?
Speaker 1: I'm not setting you up to fail at all. A lot of these people say, like because there are a lot of them, sort of Simon Cowe's of the world, and whatever they say, it's freed me up so much like I don't wake up every morning to fifty two emails that then I've got to respond to and then I've got to respond to that. And I understand that.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Does it appeal Amelia?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 9: Absolutely? I saw Zadie Smith.
Speaker 2: She came to Australia a few months ago and I went to see her at the Opera House in conversation. And what was so interesting is this woman is arguably the most interesting, intelligent person alive today in the world. Right, I think that her brain needs to be studied. We need to figure out how Zadie Smith thinks about literally everything.
Speaker 9: Do you know what?
Speaker 2: The interviewer spent most of the time talking about the fact that Zadie Smith does not have a smartphone.
Speaker 9: Fascinated and I got.
Speaker 2: Really frustrated because I wanted to hear Zadie Smith's opinions on everything else in the world, but all anyone wanted to actually hear about was the lack of smartphone, because she's never had a smartphone apart from a few months in two thousand and eight. She says when they first came out, she kind of got interested, but then she quickly discarded it. So what I learned from this interview, because there were many questions about it. She prints out Google Maps when she's going somewhere, so I guess that's less annoying than as he's I'm sorry calling his wife. But she's very sort of matter of fact about it. She says that, yeah, sometimes she thinks about things she wants to google or look up while she's out and about during the day. But she has a desktop computer, so when she gets home, Yeah, she can.
Speaker 9: Look up the stuff that she wanted to look up.
Speaker 1: She probably writes them down with a pen and a notebook. Smith probably carries a notebook for that.
Speaker 9: She probably does.
Speaker 2: And the other thing is that she says that she has a very addictive personality, and so she knows that if she did have a smartphone, should be utterly incapable of putting boundaries around sensible use.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting because obviously smartphone use isn't a problem for everybody. I mean it is, it's ruined the world in so many ways, but for some of us more than others that are able to like my partner Brent, and I know he's a man of a certain age, et cetera. But he could happily leave the house without his phone. He doesn't have to be on his phone all the time. It drives the rest of us crazy because we're trying to get hold of him, and but like he's not. It's not a problem for him, whereas I do. My relationship with my phone, and we talk about this a lot on the show, takes up a certain amount of energy just in its existence. Yeah, and so I think that probably it's true that you know, if you know that about yourself, as Zadie Smith does, then you're like, it's just better. I never go there a bit like I never have that first.
Speaker 2: And I also wonder if this is an idea. I'm not sure what the answer is. I want to see what you think. Like our instinct on this issue is to say that it's a privileged position to not have a smartphone, because there are all these things that you have to do in everyday life that if you don't have a smartphone, you'd have to have your assistant too. But I just want to try out the idea that maybe part of that is us making an excuse for our smartphone news because, for instance, on the list of things that you listened before, m that you must have a smartphone for one of them was paying for dinner. Well, there are credit cards, and I mentioned paying for parking. Yes, you can also use a credit card for that. Like, is there a way in which we hear these stories about the Zadie Smiths and the Christopher Nolans and we think, well, that's okay for them, and then we try and make excuses for why we can't do it.
Speaker 1: I think your idea is correct.
Speaker 3: Zadie Smith is really interesting because more often than not, I feel like even from the people I know of, it's always usually men who don't have a smartphone. And I also think when I think about my smartphone and when I'm away from home and I don't have it on me, I do get anxious because I also realize that it is a safety tool, like you have find my friends on it, for like women who go on dates.
Speaker 1: We used to live without that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I just think the world is developed in a way where it is becoming more and more unsafe to be a woman being outside by herself and even going for like walks alone like I never walk alone at night, but I make sure if I am, I have my phone on me.
Speaker 9: But I don't think that just on that point, I don't think.
Speaker 2: The statistics bear out the idea that the world, let's narrow it down, that maybe, like living in Australia and walking down the street is becoming more dangerous for women.
Speaker 9: I think I wonder.
Speaker 2: If us smartphones are probably fueling our paranoia on that front.
Speaker 1: I think that would be really interesting to find out, because you're right, there are many more ways to keep yourself safe, and this you extrapolate that out to how we feel about our children. If our children like, oh, well, I've got to get them a phone so I know where they are, and da da da da da that but does it really keep them safe? And that's an interesting question. Back to the creative geniuses. So Zadie Smith is a writer who, like as you've already said, Amelia, her brain works in amazing ways. Christopher Nolan makes these movies that no one else could make. Is the having no smartphone part of why they're so jeous. Do you think that if you are constantly plugged into feedback, which is the way that you live, if you have a smartphone, maybe you couldn't make right.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean I've read about some other creative geniuses who don't have them. Dolly Partoner doesn't have one, Sarah Jessica Parker Ashley Olsen arguably the person who's done more to influence how we dress today than anyone other than her sister Mary Kate. These people, I think, do have a kind of mavericky way of.
Speaker 9: Being in the world.
Speaker 2: And maybe it is because they're not having to think about what people think of them.
Speaker 1: All because they're not distracted by endless videos of hotman gardening and puppies doing hilarious thing.
Speaker 3: But also like some people like the Kardashians and Taylor Swift are chronically online. They read every comment, they read every tweet, and they're also geniuses in their own way. Me, you don't have social media, so you're kind of fifty percent there. Do you think you could go without a smart phone?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 9: You do, you do it.
Speaker 2: It's a good question, and I think that's why I wanted to float that idea with you before. Like yesterday, for instance, very very scarily, my kids went missing after school. Everything's fine now, but I got a call from the school saying we don't know where your kids are basically, and it was all just a mix up. It's fine, they tried to run away. No, that's the jokes anyway. The point is that's another.
Speaker 9: Story, that's for another time. And I got a call from the school. Is the point.
Speaker 2: I don't think that when it comes to these really important situations, you got the school receptionist just kind of casually sending me a text.
Speaker 9: You up, kids have gone missing?
Speaker 2: You know, like I think when it comes to really important information, I think people are still calling us. They're still getting in touch with this in ways that don't depend on a smartphone.
Speaker 1: That if you had a flip phone, it would still work if you were as I'm sorry, they'd call your wife.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So what I'm saying is if you want to give track of your kids, maybe your flip phone is enough.
Speaker 1: I can just hear all the out louders shouting at us about all the ways you can live without a smartphone, as Amelia just did. Well, she's like, you could have a credit card, you could have I want to know if many of them do. I want to know if many of them have gone to flip phones and listen to their podcast on desktop, because the rise of YouTube suggests that more people are doing right. That's true too. I am not a creative genius. I am still wedded to the phone. Maybe if I had a flip phone, I would be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you'd get how many books have you written enough for I'm not a creative genius.
Speaker 9: Nonsense.
Speaker 2: Maybe if I got read my smartphone, I could actually publish book.
Speaker 9: There you go, maybe that's.
Speaker 3: My startphone haters. Look, it's fine to have a smartphone. You're doing okay, it's all right.
Speaker 1: Oh a nice segue into books. Thanks you mean to do that. I was just fishing for a compliment. I got one from which makes my day.
Speaker 9: But anyway, you're not getting into Berkheine. I'm sorry. No matter how much mesh, how many bra I don't care.
Speaker 2: One of those tax people use for like hiking around the world for a year.
Speaker 1: It's just occurred to me that me and a few a few mesh bratops could be seen and subversive enough to get into berkhines.
Speaker 9: You know you're in red Lip. Forget the red lip taking a scar off. You're here.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we digress back to books we have got. You might have heard about this. It's the best I reckon this is the best subscriber giveaway. We've given away some good things to subscriber. It's such a cool idea, I know. So we are giving one lucky subscriber to Mom and Mia a book stack of books chosen by us, the host of bammea out Loud, including Claire, including Jesse, including Meir, i e. The ones who are not talking to right now have all chosen two books and you can win all of them if you're a subscriber to Mom Mia. The excellent news is that if you're already a subscriber, you didn't have to do one thing. These books might just turn up at your house.
Speaker 3: One Yeah, so you get twelve books. It's kind of like a mini library. We actually got them sent to the office first and just looking at them all together, I'm like, you're going to have.
Speaker 4: A really good year.
Speaker 1: I want to just ask Amelia quickly, because I know what a lot of people's books are. Your choice for one of your books is Intimate So by Sally Rooney. Now that's an interesting choice because a lot of people might have got normal people. Tell us why you love.
Speaker 2: No it's her best So look it's Sally Rooney's fourth novel. I didn't even finish her third novel, obviously. I loved her first two, which were made into TV shows and so on, but I think this one is her best. It is said in Dublin in twenty twenty two, like I think all of Sally Rooney's books are. It's about two brothers who are dealing with the death of their father and both having some problems in their love lives.
Speaker 9: I mean, what Sally Rooney is always about.
Speaker 2: But what I thought was so fascinating about this book is it's about sibling relationships, and we so rarely get to read about siblings, let alone about brothers. I think there's some art about sisters, not a lot about brothers, And as someone with a brother, I just it gave me real insight into that kind of brother relationship and dynamic. But it's also just everything Sally Rooney always is. You know how she just writes dialogue that it feels like you're actually they're having a conversation with them.
Speaker 4: It's that.
Speaker 2: Do you think she has a smart phone? Oh, Sally Rooney, good question. I'm getting the vibe that she does not. I'm getting the vibe that she goes to Berlin for six months a year, goes to burg Hind at two o'clock in the afternoon and does not have a smartphone.
Speaker 9: Right, that's Sally Rooney.
Speaker 1: All right. If you're not a subscriber, but you want to win our amazing books, then become a subscriber. Now there's a link in the show notes and you could be in the running to win that pile. That is all we have time. But we've been all over the place yesterday. I loved being on the porch with Barnaby.
Speaker 12: I love being with.
Speaker 1: You guys and Harry Styles good times. We will be back in your ears tomorrow. Goodbye.
Speaker 3: See you out louders, it's em Are you still here? I do hope, so listen. Last week Maya, Holly, Jesse, and Luca got together to record a special episode What's it about? Well, we wanted to bring you the out Louders in on some things that are happening behind the scenes at Mamma Mia. Think of it like a conversation at a family dinner.
Speaker 1: Over to you, Holly, out louders, we have family news. Maybe you've seen it around, maybe you've heard some whispers. Maybe you haven't, but because you out louders are at the heart of everything we do here. Mamma Mia, we thought this is family news. You got to hear it straight from the various horses mouths.
Speaker 7: Especially this is.
Speaker 8: Your worst night mare being in the middle of this mished, fucked up family.
Speaker 4: Family.
Speaker 10: She just used the word we and when it suits holy she tries to exit the family and.
Speaker 1: Slowly backing away anyway. Specifically in this case, you are hearing from Jesse, from Maya and from Luca.
Speaker 10: Hello all, hi, Hi, thank you for having us.
Speaker 1: For the past two years, Mamma Mia has been run by Natalie Harvey. She is an extraordinarily capable, calm and passionate CEO. Nat is moving on, She's got a new job. She leaves with all our love. Well, I can't speak for you.
Speaker 8: She oh, my god, so much love, just like do you know what she said? Not only does she leave with our love and our gratitude. And Mamma Mia is a better business because of the time we spent with her as CEO. But she's leaving with a whole new wardrobe. Like when she came in she was quite corporate and now she has trainers every.
Speaker 1: Day anyway, it brings us to the family news, which is Luke Levine, who in Out Loud Law will always be MEA's son, Jesse's husband, the butt of some folks, sometime host on parenting out Loud. But he is apart from all those things. He is, in fact a very sharp, very intelligent and diligent man in his own right. And he is the new CEO of Mama Maya.
Speaker 4: It's very nice, big deal to say all those things, Well, it's all true.
Speaker 7: She's got them written down and.
Speaker 10: Also practically her boss.
Speaker 9: So he got nice to you.
Speaker 10: You get business?
Speaker 8: Move?
Speaker 7: Were you going to get to that?
Speaker 1: We're going to get to the awkwardness of that. But I asked them all to come in and sit down because if we can't have the exclusive on this news and who can, Let's get right to the big thorny questions. Luca, what's the CEO.
Speaker 14: I've heard someone describe CEO as chief energy officer, which is like bringing the energy to the business. It's your job to bring the energy.
Speaker 7: Well, I don't know if that's you.
Speaker 10: I was going to say, I don't want to undermine him immediately, but I was like vibes, I'm like this.
Speaker 14: Is not This is not the interview or the chat that I should come to to get myself built up and really confident about this role.
Speaker 7: I'm going to walk out of these two up about this.
Speaker 1: They're going to keep denigrating you, and I'm like, remember, it's really.
Speaker 10: Important, important for Optics that you're nice.
Speaker 8: To the love.
Speaker 4: No, it's good, it's good. Keep bringing me down.
Speaker 14: Always so, Nat, in her time as CEO here has been like the best possible example of that, right, Chief Energy Officer.
Speaker 10: I keep saying to you, I'm like, and another great thing about Nat, great speaker she is, and I love how Nat like she always she's such a great problem solved.
Speaker 4: Doesn't she have great hair?
Speaker 7: Her shoes?
Speaker 14: I wish I had a tenth as much energy and pizzaz as Nat does. She'd call it riz, she says. She would say herself that she has riz, which makes her sound like a real elder millennial. I definitely don't have rizz. I have whatever the opposite of rizz is. But I sort of think that pretty much the most important part of a CEO's role is to pick the right people and put the right people in the right roles in a business that can be some roles that are in front of the mic, you know, which is why see you and I having a performance conversation later, and other roles that most roles actually in our business that are.
Speaker 7: Actually telling you about your performance should be giving you some notes.
Speaker 14: So that's sort of what I see the most overarching CEO role as picking the right people for the right roles overall business strategy.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you're in a P and L document. Sometimes you're leading the leadership team.
Speaker 10: I don't know what P and L stands for, but Holly and I are not business people. No, you two are business people, right, I don't have an I still struggle with the.
Speaker 4: Wording you're pointing at myself and me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, sorry, yeah, I actually just beat that.
Speaker 8: I think that you even though the first time you walked in here you'd never been in an office before, and you were with Claire, and I put you in a meeting with Holly and she's like, I'm busy, who are these people with these strange small people?
Speaker 7: But since then, the two of.
Speaker 8: You, you're not just the hosts of out Loud. You have been involved in this business so intimately. Over the last ten years, you've seen the tears, the hard parts, the challenges, the triumphs.
Speaker 7: You've seen a lot.
Speaker 9: Your book will be.
Speaker 10: Great, though, is like a really boring job from my perspective, and I think that Hollywood probably find it quite.
Speaker 7: That's why I'm not it ever.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, yeah, and I want to get to that because You've always been really open about talking about how your creative leadership really always needs that brilliant business brain to balance.
Speaker 8: With I think that there are lots of different types of CEOs, you know, it depends, and every CEO brings their own personality and skills to it, and that brought an incredible sales background, and that.
Speaker 14: Has the best energy as one of the best people leaders.
Speaker 8: But I know that I could never be CEO because I don't have the temperament. I don't have the patience, I don't have the business understanding. Frankly, like I don't look at spreadsheets. I'm all feelings. And a CEO they've got to be able to be very three hundred and sixty degrees of the business. And that is something that Luca does have because he's come through content, he's come through sales, He's worked in every facet of the business. So he actually knows more about the business in every department of it, way more than I do.
Speaker 1: One of the things I do know about Lucra is you're not particularly good at tuoting your own horn.
Speaker 4: Because you're not a parent. I hate it, but I need.
Speaker 1: You to tell me because I know you've already got the job. So it's not an interview in that way, but like, what do you think why you are the right person for this job?
Speaker 14: We were talking before the mix went on about aging and how I'm how I was born an old.
Speaker 1: Man has always said that about it.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and that's not why I've been chosen for this role. But nothing makes me feel more of an old man than when I think about the fact that I've been here for a decade.
Speaker 7: I know right than you are. How I actually don't know. Are you twenty seven or twenty eight?
Speaker 4: Currently either twenty eight or twenty twenty twenty eight?
Speaker 14: It always changes, really keep track of it, and I always rely on you ping around.
Speaker 7: To whatever Jesse's ages.
Speaker 1: What I remember about you coming in and working as a writer at MoMA Meter is that you have always been very like full of ideas. I'm very smart and wanting everything to be better. All the time, but you're also very receptive always to feedback to being put back in your box, like at that point you learn you did know how to shut up and learn, which I think is a not something that everybody who comes through is and be not necessarily what everyone would expect.
Speaker 14: During my time here, I always felt the way I do now, which was I always wanted us as a whole business to be getting better.
Speaker 10: Yes, I think that's a good point because the family business element of it, Like you came in, you finished school, you had been brought up on my mayor it had been in your household since what you were twelve or something.
Speaker 8: And before that, I was the editor of Cosmos, so he always know like that was his world, his women's content.
Speaker 10: And so even though you were coming in and you were the boss's son, so people were terrified about that to an extent that would.
Speaker 4: Have been going to job on us uncomfortable for you guys.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And so you came in as the boss's son. With that comes enormous privileges and doors opening and all that kind of stuff, but also responsibility in that everything that happens directly impacts your family. As an outsider who doesn't understand a whole lot about about business. Australia is so built on small businesses, and something like seventy percent of those businesses are family businesses. And the reason that is is because of the loyalty, because of the generational I suppose, like education.
Speaker 7: It comes with it and understand.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, And I think that that's part of why you've kind of gone through the business, worked in lots of different departments, but sort of been men taught into a position like this over ten years.
Speaker 14: I've learned so much in all of the various roles that I've had here. I mean, we were just talking about when I start that I was writing under your guidance hole. But then you know, I was lucky enough to work in our podcast business very very early on, back when they were three shows. I used to produce you and Andrew Data or in this Glorious Smith. That was the first time we worked very very closely.
Speaker 7: Together, which was his main Amelia on Tell Me, which.
Speaker 14: Is our political podcast back in the day. And then I've worked in various other sort of commercial and product roles.
Speaker 1: I remember when you jumped from editorial to commercial, we felt quite betrayed, didn't we Yes.
Speaker 10: Yes, he jumped to commercial and then like spearheaded, because you're not going to be very good at saying what you've done behind the scenes. But here's how I understand it. You have spearheaded subscriptions, which is really important as a business.
Speaker 14: Something something In twenty twenty one, I launched our subscription business, which is very transformational for us.
Speaker 10: Yes, so acquiring different podcasts, that's another thing that you've done, rolling out a new website, rolling out the app, all that kind of stuff, and that's been quite behind the scenes, like out louders wouldn't know who.
Speaker 14: Yeah, my favorite part of coming to work every day and being in this business is doing the work.
Speaker 1: He me me it was this always the plan? I bet this is what lots of people would want to know.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Jesse just referenced the family business element of this, and that's very front and center this. You know, it is a family business. Was it always the plan that Luca would become this.
Speaker 4: Why you had a son?
Speaker 8: And it was never the play. It was honestly never the plan. You know, we looked externally for nat and she was just the most phenomenal appointment, and she's just been so wonderful for the business. But when we found out that she was moving on and she had another role, we had some hard conversation. They actually weren't hard conversations because we looked around and we said, does anyone know the business better than Luca?
Speaker 7: No? Is he going to copy it because he's the boss's son.
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 8: Do we still need to do what's the best thing for the business anyway?
Speaker 7: Of course we do.
Speaker 10: You get to choose because your own the business. You get to make bad decisions if you so feel like it. And who's going to wear those bad decisions? You are, and then Christmas is gonna be awkward, so.
Speaker 1: You kind of worse reminding people that before Nat Jason, your husband and co founder on it.
Speaker 7: Was the CEO, right, Yeah, we kind.
Speaker 8: Of chose roles for ourselves when it was just the two of us in a lounge room and it didn't really matter much. I don't remember what my role was, and I still don't really year.
Speaker 10: It's incredibly confusing.
Speaker 7: Like shoes, I just think of myself as co founder.
Speaker 8: Jace was CEO for many years, and he was of a similar mold, very behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: And that's what I guess is that in a way. Many people who know you guys would say that Luca is very like Jason in lots of ways.
Speaker 4: Do you think that.
Speaker 7: I think he's a real mix.
Speaker 8: What's interesting is that if you think that I'm the art and Jason is the science, Luca is a mix. He's got such a good content brain, and I think that's why he and Jesse are such so compatible. He understands contents so well, and yet he understands the whole side of the business that I don't even understand or focus much on. Also, so I think that we knew that there was going to be pushed back, but we take our responsibility of not just our core purpose, but the responsibility we have employing one hundred and thirty staff, ninety five percent of whom are women, and we're not going to put in someone who can't do this job just because we like him and we're related to him, if it's going to potentially risk the jobs and the livelihoods of those people. Like every decision we make for the business, it's with that in mind. That's why it's so high pressure, you know, being the owner of a business.
Speaker 10: And I think I would have thought before that, like CEO is like the face of you know, and especially in this moment of like the em agreed. You know how we always talk on it loud.
Speaker 7: He's going to want his own podcast in a minute.
Speaker 10: Well, this is the thing, right, My CEO isn't. And I suppose that there's there's part of you that goes a man is the boss of Mum and maya like, and that might feel incompatible, but you're not. The face of Holly is the face.
Speaker 7: Of that, Yes, she really is.
Speaker 8: She's what's so interesting is that as the face, you have a certain pressure. So every time there's some shit written about us that's not true, or every time anyone in the whole company is perceived to do something wrong, it'll be my face attached to it, right, looking always so low ways to find the unhinged pictures. So that sucks and I hate it, but you know I'm used to it. But then the burden of being the CEO is that you're awake at night knowing that the bottom line is your responsibility.
Speaker 7: And that's why you need a really good leadership team.
Speaker 1: I know you don't know how old you are. You're twenty eight. Let's just get that on the table. Some people will say that's too young to be a CEO. What do you say to that.
Speaker 14: Look, In the last four years five years in the business, like my role, you know, prior Ton's News has been Chief Operations off COO and also Chief Product officer. You know, I've led mostly from behind the scenes three of our sort of or four of our biggest transformations in the business. One of them, you know, around the strategy behind our podcast expansion and pivoting into video or expanding to video. Another of them, as Jesse mentioned, more of a behind the scenes, you know, revenue diversification play, but around launching and scaling our subscription business which includes a fitness app and other things to try and diversify a business from being just advertiser funded to being a mix of advertiser and subscription funded. And then just recently last year, you know, launching a full overhaul of our website and app and a bunch of our technology.
Speaker 8: To me, that stuff is so tedious, it's so boring, but it's absolutely crucial.
Speaker 1: And you've been that's right hand, but also steering your own ship on all that stuff for a long time, which is important. It's not like you were in the back post room and somebody suddenly went QBC.
Speaker 9: Like that.
Speaker 14: There hasn't been in a day go by in the last probably ten years, but really intensively in the last five where I haven't spent most of that day thinking about our business strategy and really stepping into this role.
Speaker 4: There's no change there.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and yes, you're twenty eight and how do you feel about it there?
Speaker 9: Well, in terms.
Speaker 1: Of some questions, yeah, okay, sorry, on.
Speaker 10: The thing of experience, I think it's a really valid question, like twenty eight is incredibly young to be a CEO, but the fact that you've lived and breed this business, like I think that that dog years.
Speaker 4: It's also bloody young to have three kids, isn't it. Yeah, yeah, twins at home.
Speaker 1: I so want to get to that. But I just have to ask me about the man question. Oh yes, because there were As Jesse alluded to, there will be people who will say, why is it a problem that Luca is a man in charge of a women's media company.
Speaker 10: It sounds like an out loud segment.
Speaker 9: It does a little bit for this week.
Speaker 1: How do you feel about that?
Speaker 2: To me?
Speaker 8: If you look at what I call purpose, which has never changed, making the world a better place for women and girls. I don't see men as being excluded from them. Yeah, I see them as being crucial to helping us make that happen.
Speaker 1: The reason I wanted you to come today, yeah, other than that, I wanted to see you.
Speaker 8: Hi. Hi.
Speaker 10: And I'm having a really good headache dress yesterday, And I said, guys, why don't we get these cameras out?
Speaker 9: Hear me out, let's get a camera.
Speaker 7: Someone gives her a new job, so there's a reason for me to be on the desk.
Speaker 1: How you feel about this because in your house right, well, I mean professionally because you work at MoMA Mia, right, so that's interesting. But personally, in your house, you have got baby twins and a toddler, and your husband has just taken on a massive job. Would you like to kill him?
Speaker 9: Always?
Speaker 10: But then it's sometimes nice to have a card in the back pocket. And this is what a friend of mine recently was driving home. She had two of her little kids in the car, and her husband wasn't feeling very well, so he stayed home and she was driving home and she got pulled over because her car wasn't registered and her husband was meant to do it, and she called me and went, how do I play this? And I said, what you've got is you've got a card, right, put it in the pocket.
Speaker 9: Quiet.
Speaker 10: They get scared. When you get quiet, you don't want to do yelling. You don't want to start playing them all throwing balls here, there and everywhere.
Speaker 4: You put it in the pocket.
Speaker 10: And then when you need want require that's when you go, you know what, Oh yeah, absolutely take this. But if you take this big job, you do all the nighttime wakeups or you do. I think that we need to make sure that we still have like time off as a family or whatever. And I'm just like, there are like sacred points of our week where I am not going to And I've actually thought about this so much. And I'm also trying to convince Luca like to do like pre ceo couples counseling.
Speaker 7: That's a really good idea.
Speaker 10: The reason why is I have seen couples and heard so many stories of like the guy who and it is often a man with young families who is just so like wedded to work, uses that as an escape because sometimes I think works easy asier.
Speaker 7: That's me, Yes, you've seen it in me too.
Speaker 10: Well, I think that well, you're like still married. I'm thinking of a lot of people I know who their marriage it costs them their marriage, right, because it's like.
Speaker 8: I've got a theory about this because Jason and I have you know, it's very intense running your own business, but the fact that we're both in it makes it a hundred times easier because I can't imagine what it would be like. And Luca, You've always said this that it's just easier when your family and your partner and your friends and holy and your holy A're all in the same you know, the same.
Speaker 4: Is really nice.
Speaker 14: Not having to go home and then if something happened at work, I have to explain who this person is and what a podcast is and all of the background.
Speaker 4: It's all just one yeah, and it's incredibly efficient.
Speaker 1: But you also have a big career and like a lot of that career is at Mamma Mia, but some of it is not. Like you're you're a writer. You know, you write and you write books, you write screenplays, you do lots of things.
Speaker 4: You win twins Fest that one time.
Speaker 10: Okay, that was a really fun event. Okay, And the fact that you still make fun of me isn't appropriate. Sorry that Mama Maya didn't produce twins Fest, but that was my first pitch, twins Fest twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 9: I'll headline.
Speaker 1: So how are you feeling about it?
Speaker 4: Be honest, I don't I don't know.
Speaker 10: I'm just trying to work out. Mine is more about what I want our lives to look like week to week. Yeah, And I'm also aware that when I've gone and I've done the TV stuff and you know, I've written the books and whatever, Luca has unfortunately supported me every single step of the way, and it's always we are on the same team. We're on the same team. So with this, we are on the same team. But on a Saturday morning, between these hours, we have got to be boundaried because I don't want to live in a house with someone who's like constantly their heads somewhere else. Like our family is also a massive priority right now. So I am just ensuring that you know, it's not.
Speaker 4: I think the conversation on you.
Speaker 14: It actually doesn't because the conversation that we've had and I'm very I'm very pro preemptive couples counseling, by the way, Yeah, I.
Speaker 10: Don't know if he's going to book.
Speaker 7: It's going to.
Speaker 10: Book, it's going to be married, she's.
Speaker 8: Going to be wearing, and I need to be on the couch.
Speaker 7: We have thoughts as.
Speaker 14: Suggestions because, as I said before, there hasn't been a day go by in the last five or ten years when I haven't spent most of that day thinking about business strategy and this company. In my mind, it won't be even nearly as much of a shift as it would be for the average person's stepping into a CEO role.
Speaker 10: Well, that's what I'm like, Well, you know it's going to be three a m. Wake ups, like all the stress, everything on your mind, and it's going to be jumping on on a Saturday afternoon and diditor And you're like, I already do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, already do that.
Speaker 14: So it's not that I will be less stressed than the average CEO. It's that the step up is incredibly marginal in my mind.
Speaker 7: But also we've got an extraordinary leadership team.
Speaker 8: I think what a CEO's job, to come back to your original question, what a CEO's job actually is is supporting those people and just helping getting out of their way and letting them be as brilliant as they are.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you about that, because obviously this isn't the first that our excellent team have nearly one hundred women, one men, and the few men. Mom may have heard about this. You've spoken to them, You've laid out you know your hopes for this. I guess does it feel like an enormous responsibility the team, the staff, or is that almost a comfort because you know you've got so many great people at your back.
Speaker 14: It does feel like an enormous responsibilit But I feel extremely ready for that. The team that we have here and the people all across the business, across departments, in senior roles, in junior roles. This is the best team in the country. And I have not a single doubt about that, or I wouldn't feel as calm and ready as I do. So, yes, it is absolutely a big responsibility. I'd be worried for anyone who stepped into a role like this and thought that it wasn't. But I'm ready and I'm incredibly excited.
Speaker 1: People outside the business will always ask me, They asked me all the time what it's like to work with me?
Speaker 4: What's it like crazy?
Speaker 1: Well, obviously, what I say about that everyone I know who's worked with you or alongside you or need like, the question goes away because you're just good at what you do, calm, reasonable, the absolute opposite of the Brady boss's son, which is a stereotype in people's heads. I'm not saying that exists, but the absolute opposite of that stereotype. It comes in swinging themselves around telling people what to do.
Speaker 9: You've always been You're.
Speaker 1: Good at listening in my experience, and you're good at problem solving. But also when people work with you, that question like it disappears.
Speaker 4: And that's what I care about.
Speaker 14: What I care about is not whatever the gossip mags are going to write, I'm not going to write. It's earning the respect of the colleagues and the people here who I get to work shoulder to shoulder with every day and who care as much about a core purpose as I do.
Speaker 1: What about you and the scrutiny, Jesse, because it's going to come in your way too, you know it is.
Speaker 10: Yes, I feel like everyone has certain buttons. You can deal with all of this, and then there's some things that just getcha that you're just like, Oh that for you. Mine is when I get accused of nepotism, and I'm like, I didn't come out of me as vagina. I did not know. I have met that woman as an adult, and I worked here before I met Luca, and I feel like after a peep.
Speaker 8: Out then to get that on the record, we were out loud before you yeah started.
Speaker 9: And I just know what the story is going to become.
Speaker 10: And then Claire gets dragged into it, and then it's just like that annoys me in saying that people are going to talk. I know how how it looks. Before I was here and I knew the dynamics and I worked in the business, I probably would have looked at it and gone twenty eight year old man running Muma maya question mark, Like I probably would have thought that. But now I just have this impulse to shut the door and under the bed, hide well and just be there just with the five of us.
Speaker 4: You mean our family, not Holly and Maya.
Speaker 10: No, I did not mean Holly and We're not That's that is a lock true with your mayor on the.
Speaker 8: My favorite thing is that out louders who are new to the show, because we've grown a lot.
Speaker 14: This Yeah, but this is the first episode you're listening to.
Speaker 8: That's funny, go back even now, and Jessie was not mad. People who sometimes in the out Loudest group they would be like, wait to marry Jesse are late.
Speaker 1: All right, we've got to finish.
Speaker 9: But there's a couple of things I need to know.
Speaker 1: I need to know, Luca, is anything going to change for our out louders who love this show because you're the boss. That's the one thing people want to know. Is he going to come in and change everything.
Speaker 10: Is to outlouds just going to be Luca talking to himself three three mics, and he's going to be like this, I've been talking about the whole couple.
Speaker 14: Of lots we actually have every time I had it on at work the other day on my screen and Holly had it on a different stream, and Holly sits behind me, and then I'm like, oh, your stream is behind come and.
Speaker 4: Watch it here.
Speaker 14: And so then we were watching the end of like Columbia Egypt a Tuesday.
Speaker 7: We're also working very hard.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've forgot.
Speaker 10: Just going to be you talking to yourself now for out louders, because you're the boss.
Speaker 14: It's just going to be me and hollytook about football. Okay, nothing changes for out Louders. Our podcasts are our fastest growing part of our business and that's not going to change. They're going to get more attention, and we want to be building out a lot of our show brands more, providing more opportunities for our community and for our audience across all of our shows, and really building them out beyond being just shows.
Speaker 10: Your mother in law will continue to post inappropriate things in the Outlauders that gets removed by Adminton and Stevens.
Speaker 14: I have to moderate her per comment often often no change to out Louders in the short term is the easy answer to.
Speaker 1: That, what's this relationship going to be like the mother son relationship going to be?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: With you as CEO, because I I'm Jesse, we worked under we used a lot of people in the business who were not related to you would call it mom and dad.
Speaker 8: Call.
Speaker 1: Mom and dad of fighting, but you were, I mean professionally like.
Speaker 7: We'd be like can we do this?
Speaker 1: And they would be like yes, and Jason wud be like, no, yes, go on have a fight.
Speaker 8: You.
Speaker 1: In recent years you've stepped back a bit from that level of hands onness in the decisions that the business are making, all those things like do you think that this next era of Mamma Mia, the Luca Lavine era of MoMA Mia, what are you going to be doing? How do you see that relationship?
Speaker 8: Well, it's so interesting that Luca has always been very clearly climbing up the ladder and I've been climbing down it. Like the three of us actually have that in common where we all started climbing the ladder here and you put you before here, and then we all went, oh, hang on. I actually want to get back to the cold face because what we love doing is making. So for me, it's actually a return to that. To me, it's a return to making. It's a return to getting back on the out loud desk and being behind the scenes as well and writing and doing all of that. I don't want to get further into management. I feel very confident in the management team we've got. We've got incredible leaders. There's so many people who've got this from a management point of view, and in terms of the dynamic between Luca and I, I really one of the things I need is people who can tell me no and people who I respect who can tell me no, And you know Luka has always been that, so yeah, no change.
Speaker 1: There, And how do you see that where you're going to?
Speaker 14: I see my job is pointing me as a creator in the right direction, because sometimes she wants to go many directions at once, all at the same time, and sometimes those directions are opposite to one another. You're working on a Prettian creative project at the moment, which the outladers will hear more about soon.
Speaker 2: I thinkn it shed of the strategy.
Speaker 10: I think a lot about Australian media. I didn't understand how rare independent media in Australia was. Yeah, do you know it is the most centralized media landscape in the world's second to Brazil to have a How old is this business? Nearly twenty Yeah, nearly twenty year old independent media company that doesn't have other stakeholders, that is thriving, that has been at the forefront of the podcast boom. All of that is just something that I am so endlessly proud of to like have ridden that wave. And so I just think that so you know, in all the kind of feedback and criticism, which whatever you wear it, but that's a footnote I think I don't.
Speaker 4: Think that's even a footnote.
Speaker 14: I think that's the thing that I mean, I feel proud of every day to have been a part of that for ten years and to have worked alongside so many brilliant people who have made those headlines and made those shows and written that content. And you know, this business has just gone from strength to strength thanks to the brilliant people in it, and that's where we're going again.
Speaker 1: Congratulations, Luke Levine. Thanks, I'm very excited that you are now the boss of this business.
Speaker 10: I think she's kissing your ass ever since you became That's what I think.
Speaker 1: Mamma Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we have recorded this podcast.