Speaker 1: So you're listening to a Mamma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mere acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on the nineties. I was there, so were you. If you're mid and everyone's welcome at this chaotic table. So it's not law, but if you truly fit the gen X definition, the nineties was likely or misspent youth era. I was nineteen to twenty nine. In that decade, A lot of things happened for me, for the world, for the culture, grunge, britpop lads, friends, rave Slackers, Tarantino, Clueless, Titanic, Whitney, Alanis, the Spice Girls. I remember watching Thelma and Louise and thinking that feminism had triumphed, Things were sorted. I remember swooning over Keanu saving Sandra from a speeding bus, being unperturbed by Gwyneth's head in a box in seven, seeing Cameron Diaz her hair sky highwood sperm in the sub about Mary and not thinking that was a gross humiliation. I had a lot of adventures in the nineties, A lot of misadventures too. I fell in love a couple of times, I got my heart broken, I broke a couple myself, I made some complicated decisions, I traveled across the world, like all of our twenties. Perhaps it was the best of times, it was the worst of times, but it was a time I remember watching Muriel's Wedding. It was the same year that I saw Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, a couple of years after I saw a Strictly Ballroom and Romper Stomper. Why was a Mancunion living in London watching movies made on the opposite side of the planet. Well, it was my job. My first proper magazine job was for a publication for Ossie's and Kiwi's, living and working in London, and I suppose that working there started the rest of my life, not that I knew that at the time. What I did, though, is that these movies were incredible, and everybody everywhere watched them, washing up from a sea of cool girls, crazy pixie dream girls. Muriel's Wedding was about the traps set for women, and it had abba, but it also had spiky, dark edges and tragic undertones, sometimes lost among the memories of the catchphrases and the bad dancing. A bit like the nineties in general, Really, the boundaries of our eras are only really clear in hindsight, no matter how much we might want to declare our current status. I'm in my mid era. Obviously it's complicated and confusing here, but it's also full of glorious relief and regrowth, a little bit like a midlife bush that hasn't been lost to laser. But did I know when all the other eras stopped and started? And did I know when I was in them just how much change was going to come? Of course not. But how do you view your eras from the distance of mid Are you compassionate to that version of you scathing, angry at what she had to put up with? Do you wish she'd done more or less about more or less? Do you miss her? Do you smile about that nineties version of you who thought she was free sexually professionally, but really was dodging errant hands and mouths, being talked and passed over, being ranked and rated, always having to prove that yes you could take a joke, Yes you could put your pesky feminine parts aside to work like a man, drink like a man, and have sex like a man. Yeah. Look, it was a weird era, and here we are looking back at it.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 2: I am Holly Wainwright, and I am mid, midlife, midfamily, mid panic about the world. Really, the thing that I love most about making this show Mid is conversations for Generation X women who are anything. But is that I've never had a boring conversation with a woman who comes to sit at this table. Mid women might be many things, but we are not boring. Rachel Griffiths wouldn't know boring if it pooed on a lap. I don't think I need to introduce her, but if I do, there was a clue in my intro. Muriel's wedding gave Melbournie in Rachel's career what she calls a fast start, and she has lived plenty of eras since then. She was deep inside the Hollywood machine for a while, in big movies and bigger TV shows, getting an Oscar nomination for Hillary and Jackie, winning a Golden Globe for Six Feet Under, and many times nominated in the Beloved Brothers and Sisters. So there was that, and then there was her moving back home era with her two small babies, her activist era that may have never ended, although she does have quite a different take on it now and her creator era. She imagined, produced and hustled into being the iconic Australian movie Ride Like a Girl, which she directed, and she co created the incredible ABCTV series Total Control with Blackfellow Films, which ran for three seasons until just last year and entirely changed the way she saw power and politics. I wanted to talk to Rachel about being a gen x icon of sorts, blasting into our consciousness in the middle of the nineties and then rising up alongside the women when now or seeing having what's being termed comebacks. She says she never felt like a fuckable ngenou and that which pissed her off at times in her career may have served her well as she's grown right up. But we ended up talking about a lot more of non boring other stuff, her long marriage and how it's in its Woodya era, her ADHDAF diagnosis, and maybe why the eighties and nineties were the worst years for women in Hollywood, and how we stay optimistic while the world's well, you know, what the world's doing, And of course we talk about the TV show Madam, which is on nine right now, and why she finally said yes to playing a madam, a role that she's been offered many times before. Rachel Griffiths is bloody great. Enjoy this, Oh, and hang around at the end, friends, because I have some exciting news about a holiday, not mine, yours. Rachel Griffiths, do you like being Mid? How do you feel about the gen X middle? Because I feel like there's that we're supposed to sit into binary camps. Either I'm in my power I've never felt more myself or what fresh hell is this? Where do you say?
Speaker 3: I feel so different now that two of my three through school. So I think the answer i'd give you today might be a little different from two years ago, and something that the load, not that you stop parenting when they finished school in are eighteen, but the sense of getting them, you know, to the end is of that process and helping them navigate the roller coaster of teenage issues, especially with COVID. It was just a lot, you know, Like I think like twenty twenty was probably my peak hell, Mid and I had, you know, we had aging parents who weren't doing well, my husband's father and nursing Karen. We're being locked out of being able to see him, so kind of feeling like you're failing your parents. You've kind of failing your kids because who was equipped, particularly in Melbourne to help them, you know, wake up, not get rest, eat something, and then go on a zoom for eight hours. And I think that was just a real hell. In one way, sometimes it family time became less, you know, less busy, less stressed. But it just felt so new to navigate. And then you're going through your you know, your PERI beenopausal, you're not exercising, you're stacking on the way, you know, you're trying not to talk about that in a house. You know, it's sensitive teenage daughters who you know, whose relationship to their bodies and the world and food have also changed because they're not playing sport. And it was just it really was a really really bizarre time. And to be so, you know, I didn't get many opportunities, if any, to be fabulous, and I think like I sloth around with you know, unwashed hair and egg on me, but every now and then the full team arrive and just remind me of just how fabulous I can be.
Speaker 1: And it was twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: There was no there was no fabulousness, and I remember I think we were nominated.
Speaker 1: I was nominated for I don't know if.
Speaker 3: It was the Logies or the actors for Total Control. And I came down to six o'clock dinner wearing my gold LOGI dress in fully heals, and my kids are just like the fuck.
Speaker 2: They had not seen this side of you for some time.
Speaker 1: It was just it was data.
Speaker 3: It was like I never understood data and the whole movement of the crazy art that was made after World War One and the pandemic, which we kind of didn't add on. All I knew was art from that period was crazy and people had like naked painting parties and you know, you go to costume balls look at you know, in these crazy costumes and nothing was too wild.
Speaker 1: And that's kind of like I was like, oh, I get it.
Speaker 3: I get it because I think after this we're all going data. We are, so I'm going dada. My middle, My middle is defined by data.
Speaker 2: Did you feel like coming out of that? And I know it's like some people don't like the term that we came out of COVID at all, but like it was.
Speaker 3: It was in moment, was a whole We came you all some faster than others, some faster than they were legally allowed to do.
Speaker 1: But you know, looking back, I can't blame them for just going. I can't beat this hole any longer.
Speaker 2: And teenagers are meant to be out there in the world, causing trouble, experimenting, pushing boundaries, and they were all forced to do that in their bedrooms. But coming out of that, and at the same time as your kids moving into that new phase of independence, did you feel a big release and a big like, Okay, now I can settle into the next act, whatever that is.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, we made a decision, my husband and I to kind of take long service leave. I was the daughter of a teacher, so this magical long service leave was it was. It did exist on the horizon of you know, my mother's imagination. It's like, no, I can't retire, I've got four more only four more years to long service leave. And it was just it really was the gold at the end of the rainbow that they would dream of. So I think coming out of COVID, I thought I need to take long service leave. And twenty twenty one and I'd worked quite a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you've been working, You've been working very solidly for a lot.
Speaker 1: I'd given it a hard I.
Speaker 2: Listened to the interview you did for No Filter with Me of Friedman just when Ride Like a Girl was coming out, and that was like twenty seventeen eight.
Speaker 1: It was twenty nineteen, yes, so just before.
Speaker 2: And you sounded in that like it's a great interview, is fascinating, but you had obviously been pouring every bit of your heart and soul into making that movie happen, from conception to release to promotion and then total control again, is your your project? I mean, I know with Black Fellow Films.
Speaker 3: Yeah, co created that was also I was making that in two thousand and I know it's coming out in twenty nineteen as well.
Speaker 2: So that's pedal to the metal. And you were kind of sounded in the interview with Mia as if you know, you knew that you'd kind of been hadn't been around that much for family life, and you'd been feeling that and you were you know, do.
Speaker 3: You I brought COVID on myself. I brought a global pandemic. How about you stay home? It didn't quite turn out like that because I was attached to projects, you know, where my attachment was kind of critical to finance and for me to pull out of them may mean that crew for that, you know, it was their only job in eighteen months. So I was border jumping legally. You know, I think we're the last people into South Australia and doing I think I did four or five full quarantines. I did a full quarantine to get to a family member who was in really bad shape. It was yeah, So I and the kids had their bags packed after we were separated for quite a long time, and I had just because my producers were, you know, going through the process of getting me exemptions to travel not overseas to work. I kind of had an idea of, you know, when things were opening or closing, and you know, as soon as borders were open for a second that, you know, I had the kids on a plane and I got my girls out to do two projects and we were going between New Southwest and Queensland legally. And I hadn't seen my husband and son actually for about five months, which was the longest we've ever been apart. And I was in Queensland and Melbourne finally opened and so they were flying in into the Gold Coast and while we were in Queensland. Something that had gone crazy in Queensland. So Victoria Victoria said, oh, we're closing the borders to Queensland at midnight tonight. So my husband derived with my son. I got them on the last flight out of Ballaner Troves and we sat there eating chips, hugging. I was crying at the airport at Ballaner and I got back on the plane. You know, my son was doing Year twelve and it was just I was really mad. Anyway, last year we took a sabbatical, we took our long service leave, and you know, I said to my husband, you know, if we don't actually hang out in a non transactional way, you know, we'll be those couples as soon as the last kid gets their VCE exams. It's usually after Christmas, sometime between Christmas, and you know, the we're divorcing. So we're just going to look at each other and go, do I know you? So we took three months. We went to Europe and we had a rule that you couldn't say, could you would you? Did you have your which really is pretty much However, you explain that to me, well, I think when you're in the weeds, of kid, you know, three three kids? In life is busy. It's just so easy to go. You know, could you do this? Did you sign up for parenting? Can you cover me?
Speaker 1: Pick up?
Speaker 3: And it's you should have and yeah and well hopefully not should have, should have, could have? But could your would you? Did you have your not watier? So we had to move to a wader. What are your mindset? What do you feel like for dinner? And do you want to do you want to go for a walk? What do you think of?
Speaker 1: And dig you like?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I think it was many you know what do you think not? Did you like? Yes?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: But what do you think like?
Speaker 3: More open questions and anyway that we will looking. It was a really amazing time. My husband didn't believe we were going to We're going, I said to my agents. Unless it's White Loadus season three, don't call me.
Speaker 2: Is that the call that everybody's waiting for?
Speaker 3: I think it is, because also we just would have done long service in Thailand.
Speaker 1: It would have been fine'll call, but we were literally the other way there putting in it.
Speaker 3: And my husband's like, is this we actually we actually I said, yeah, we're actually going.
Speaker 1: We're actually.
Speaker 3: It won't be you know, the fool three. I said, I know, that's that's what I need. I need long service leave. And then I think we were just shy that we dragged our fifteen year old and pretended she wasn't there. And she goes, when is this effing long service sabbatical? She because, when is this sabbatical over? Like, I am fifteen, I am not meant to be hanging out with my parents.
Speaker 2: I were like enjoying some kind of exactly.
Speaker 3: She was the third wheel on the kind of second honeymoon, and we're like, oh, yeah, that's a bit cruel.
Speaker 1: I will ask you.
Speaker 2: That's really funny. I like, after this shortbreak, Rachel Griff's and I pay homage to Onon Taylor Swift by discussing eras, the ones Rachel has already lived and the one she's in now stay with us. I assumed that it was relatively successful, this experiment because you are still together, so that's it. Yeah, that's true. But in terms of your relationship with work, because one of the good things I think about being older is you kind of can look back on your life as these almost series of eras without wanting to.
Speaker 1: Be I'm like oh, i've heard errors.
Speaker 2: Well, you definitely have had eras. And I was thinking about how you've been inside the Hollywood machinery, everything from nominated to an Academy Award, to winning the Golden Globe, to being on the really high profile TV shows. You've been inside production directing, you've always been adjacent to politics. You've had all You've seen a lot of stuff, And I was wondering about your relationship to work. If you've had those moments where you go, I've got all the things you're supposed to want and it's not what it's meant to be, And if that's always been the thing that's shifted your gears.
Speaker 3: I think it is interesting how you, you know, reframe your experiences and feelings about yourself as you age through different lenses. You know, you spend a bit of your twenties seeing things through the lens of kind of recovering cultural catholic and when you kind of them, you know, we're seeing things through third fourth wave feminism, which is really helpful for me because feminism was a bit of a kind of dirty word. I think, you know, they made it dirty for the exes so that we kind of give up the cause, and I think we got really lazy because we thought it was nasty. Not all of us smart girls didn't buy that gas lighting.
Speaker 1: Hey, you loss to you.
Speaker 3: I was one of those dumb girls that internalize that misogyny.
Speaker 2: We're all just like the guys. Now, we're all invited to the party, and so we're here. Will I do what we're you know exactly?
Speaker 3: And I think I having kids, you you've you know, the nature nurture and all of that kind of gets reframed. But look, I am adhd as F and I have always needed something. That's If I don't have something really strong that my imagination is dancing with persistently, you know, my brain tends to attack itself and.
Speaker 1: Attack the self.
Speaker 3: I think I became accidentally the actor journey like took off faster and higher and more wonderfully than I ever.
Speaker 1: Expected, being in that after Memorial, yeah, after.
Speaker 3: Muriel and getting on these opportunities, and it's you know, that's a very three months, you know, Thomas Arty, Thomas Arty. You know I read about early Victoria in England or but the lead time and the immersion, you know, it doesn't fully always satisfy the how long you have been thinking about things, and you know, I've thought a lot about women and leadership from when I was studying politics, and you know, total control apart from the first nations kind of aspect of it is very much a continuation of like my first year politics essay, like some of these ideas, you know, things you just haven't found. You know. It's the kind of themes of the understanding of the universe that you know, if you're a mathematician, it's maths problems, and you know, if if you're kind of my brain, it's you know, how did the Holocaust happen?
Speaker 1: How did that happen?
Speaker 3: You know, and you never really got an answer, and then right now I feel like my brain is still going.
Speaker 1: Oh, oh, this is this is how it happens.
Speaker 3: Like, you know, the world I never thought I live in a world that's moving towards a cruelty or or a moral you know, is shewing any kind of true kind of moral reckoning, not moralizing, but leaving you know, to almost take deeply moral positions. Now he's woke, and you know, so I go, oh, this has happened. But I've been thinking about these things my whole life, So I guess as this content maker.
Speaker 1: A lot of that is just my brain I get hooked on.
Speaker 2: You know, will you diagnose ADHD late? Yes, so it's a relatively recent and did it fall? Did it put a lot of pieces into place for you? Has it been really helpful and understanding.
Speaker 3: That they do say that, You know, it's when you're on a journey with your children, you look at yourself and go, oh, yes, it's yeah. It explained a lot about certainly my father. I think you know, my brother may have been diagnosed as a child. It is that kind of women women thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And people were like, it's naughty boys, it's not.
Speaker 3: I've always like different spicy girls are my favorite because I know they're not judging me by the same kind of manual that I've never got the translation for, you know, as not just the mean goals, because I think.
Speaker 1: That's too tropy, but just those girls.
Speaker 3: That you know, just walk confidently through society with a kind of clarity about these you know, appropriate interpersonal interactions. You know they're not whereas you know, I'm just a ping pong ball bouncing off societes. So I've always felt safe with neurospicy girls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally understand that. I've heard you say quite a bit though, that those years of the acting years, where you might have been on the big, shiny shows, you didn't actually have much control or input at all. And so do you feel like you've been getting older and more comfortable in lots of ways? Has also been about trying to regain control and the projects you work on now you get to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny that idea of control. I definitely fell out of control. I wasn't motivated to get control, except I knew that the only way to not feel out of control is to no longer be under contract. And I did two five year stints that could have gone to seven, and it was an amazing opportunity that fantastic creatives working with the best people.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't change it for the world.
Speaker 3: But I did fill out of control because you know, each week a script would arrive that I hadn't you know, I hadn't signed on for in the way that you know in a play or a film, the consent is that you have pretty much the full document. You know, you have a chat with the director, and any mass you know, any big changes to that document can be negotiated with agents once you've signed on, if they completely change the premise and you know where you're filming and a whole bunch of other things, you can't got a right to God, this is not working for me anymore. But once you're on a TV show, you are out of control. You signed on to one pilot and five years later you have no consent and.
Speaker 2: New pages are arriving all the time, and new characters doing all kinds.
Speaker 3: Of things, all kinds of things, and you know your character might be doing things, but in the end, it's your body and your emotions that are actually having to live with them.
Speaker 2: You know, in the projects that you've been bringing to life in the last I mean more than ten years, I suppose, but you've had much more input and been able to frame that much more clearly. But before we move on from Hollywood, I wanted to ask you what you think about at the minute. There's a lot of talk about how the gen x icons of your time, your Kidman's, your Demi Moor's, your Angelina Joli's, are all having moments again and that it's kind of being seen. And I've spoken about this, and I'd love to know what you think that maybe we have dented that agism in Hollywood that used to be you're forty or you're thirty, and you're playing now just either wronged wife or you know, mart and mum or whatever. Do you think that's true or do you think it's because we've kind of shifted the goalposts around what we think women of a certain age look like and all those kinds.
Speaker 1: Look I think it's that, And.
Speaker 3: I definitely think we now understand that, you know, women women watch television. Women are probably still in charge of which streamers are on the platforms and are being paid for by the monthly subscriptions. And because of that, this audience is being served. Women my age aren't scrolling TikTok to the same degree, so they're still committed to long form, perhaps more so.
Speaker 1: There is an audience there.
Speaker 3: And then I think the other thing is, you know, to speak of those kind of icons like to me, and I don't think Nicole really ever stopped having She's had heras. I don't think she's I mean, she's her moments only paused by kind of you know, a refresh and a regrounding, and she has another one. But we are entering an age where it's really really hard to become a movie star.
Speaker 2: So so you think the established ones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that, you know, they have brand. You know, I want to see back to the future for you know, because you know, there is a nostalgia in there is a comfort.
Speaker 1: There's there. There truly are very few.
Speaker 3: True movie stars, you know under forty and that is that's a good thing in that you know, the the actors, there is more diverse actors, it's less concentrated, there's more opportunities to a point, but very few. You know, there's very few Charlemae and there's you know, you can have a moment, will you have a decade or will you have four decades? Like Nicole, I think it's I think it's really really going to become increasingly rare.
Speaker 2: That's interesting because that makes total sense. But also I guess the male movie stars have kind of been allowed for a long time to hold onto that. We were used to seeing men, the iconic male movie stars in their fifties.
Speaker 1: And beyond, but that may be actually very true.
Speaker 2: Maybe now women are being afforded that longevity.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think I hope.
Speaker 2: It's not just because they look younger.
Speaker 1: No, but no, I think that's true.
Speaker 3: I think it's harder to make a new female movie star now.
Speaker 1: And I think, you.
Speaker 3: Know, in a risk a verse content universe, I can see why people that go, well, let's you know, let's go with the name. But I also think, you know, I am really interested in the generation of girls that I perhaps would have been intellectually you know, snobby about and brought into you know, not that I would have said it, but did I internalize that idea that there's popcorn actresses and then there's serious actresses.
Speaker 2: And it's what Demi Moore Sadden exactly.
Speaker 3: And I was very lucky, you know, very lucky to find myself in the kind of take her seriously box. And I think that, you know, it was just by the fault of default of me not being as ngenw fucker ball.
Speaker 1: The whole young thing.
Speaker 3: And I probably kind of looked, you know, with some envy at the opportunities, repeated opportunities, you know, those female actors were given, and felt that was unfair, you know, especially when they turn up in a big movie that you know, I didn't think they were up for. And I kind of, you know, I'm a bit ashamed of myself for kind of buying into that, and I think it's I mean, Demi. I loved her, like from the moment I saw her, she to me had she was authentic, and she was raw and she was sexy, and I kind of understood that you could feel the kind of wounds in her and it was such a kind of shame that she got, you know, that she peeked at the I think the kind of most misogynistic brat pack moment and she just mocked and mocked. Yeah, and everyone thinks, you know, brat pack. I was worse in the fifties, but I grew up watching movies from the thirties, forties and fifties because the female roles were better, more interesting, more complicated.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It was the eighties movies that sucks. Yeh like really sucked. You know, the absolute tweep gets the hot girl and just impossible plots where you know, it was basically, you know, felt like nerdy in Cells ended up with the keys to the cool Kids camp through the you know, through their clever camera and just created a bullshit version.
Speaker 1: Of the universe with a triumph and.
Speaker 3: It was just rubbish's and they don't age well like those films do not age well back to the future side.
Speaker 2: Perhaps, I mean, I feel it's I mean very very briefly touched on this. We might go back to it later, but it's hard to feel optimistic about that many things at the moment culturally. But maybe that's one of them, Like maybe the fact that we are hearing more female stories that have a lot more and I know that, I know it's still female stories of a certain type in a way, but we are hearing more stories of women who are over the allegedly fuckable age. We are hearing more stories about different kinds. That's got to be something to be happy about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think it's also that, you know, I watched Love Actually Again recently firm how weird that film is.
Speaker 2: You know, she did not my fifteen year old daughter did not get that film.
Speaker 3: Well, not only do they not get it, they can actively unpick every misogyny. And somebody described it the profound lack of interiority that women were afforded in British and American cinema for a long time. And look, you know, and he was so charming, you know, that filmmaker. It was easy not to see it. But if you watch any of his films. So the women are just props for the men to learn how to be human on and even then probably discard or fail to understand there or be interested in their interiority. And I love in terms of content, young women know when that interiority exists and makes sense to them. I did a show called The Wilds, and it was profoundly because of this aspect. I had just never seen that young woman's coming of age done in such an unsexualized, complicated, messy way. You know, they do watch tiktoks where girls are authentically performative, maybe maybe performatively maybe, but performatively authentically talking about the icky, sticky feelings that are uncomfortable and weird. And Taylor's made it okay to name the ick feeling that, you know.
Speaker 1: I think our generation was so ashamed of.
Speaker 3: So I think that generation coming into menopause will not be as enraged as we are.
Speaker 2: That's really interesting. I really don't not have as much to be enraged.
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I think we sucked up a lot, and from me personally, it wasn't even about sucking it up. It was not having names for things. And suddenly the universe started naming these ikey nasty states that I felt like I did have a right to ask for usha and suddenly, you know, I had this fourth wave feminist language and a lot of it.
Speaker 2: It's so true. It's funny. In one of the earlier episodes, I often say, like, is there the idea of perimenopausal rage? Isn't it just a sane response to having lived as a woman in the world for so long when you are a gen X woman and having to put up with all this is like you're suddenly kind of like, hold on, I don't have to play by those yes anyway.
Speaker 3: I completely agree with that that and I think it's the last burst of testosterone to remake your life. If you don't like what it looks like, if you don't like the job you're in, you know, you're up the corporate ladder, you don't like the husband, the country, anything, you go. This is the last energy you will have in a fierce way to rebuild your life if you take that choice.
Speaker 2: That is so true. And why when you look around you see mid women verticoras are doing that. They are going and doing that PhD they wanted to do. They are training as a yoga teacher there. Whatever they're doing, they're leaving their marriages whatever. After the break, Rachel and I talk about her new project, Madam, which is all about sex and desire and freedom and you know, the good stuff. Stay with us, Rachel, I want to talk to you about Madam, your new series. And I actually had the chance to interview Antonia Murphy recently, who wrote the book that the series is based.
Speaker 3: On good You can actually tell me I've forgotten some aspects so that it's true and what is not.
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't want to get sued for Deafa.
Speaker 2: Ma, don't worry about that. A fair bit of the setup about the husband isn't strict.
Speaker 1: Yeah, true.
Speaker 2: But the thing that is certainly true, and that from the parts of Madam I've seen seem absolutely spot on, is that she is what she wanted to create with that ethical brothel and this kind of revolutionary idea. Really because she, as I know, you know, she found herself in New Zealand as an American woman with a profoundly disabled son, questioning her next stage. And in New Zealand sex works legal and brothels legal and did criminalize, yes, And so she said that's very unusual, but that didn't necessarily mean that they were ethical. So she set out to set as you know, I'm telling you all the stories, you know, but the listener might.
Speaker 1: Tell your listeners.
Speaker 2: And she's saying and the main thing, the main thing for the women who work there, and she was living in a small town, which I also find fascinating she's living in a small town, is that everything consent was at the center of everything they do. So the women were in control of their schedules and in control of who they saw and who they didn't see and all of those things. It's fascinating. It's a wonderful story of just stripping back a lot of talking before about how gen X women often have been very like, we're still shamey about stuff, and we're not sure. I think that maybe we thought we were really bold and out there and brave about sex and sexuality, but actually we're still quite icky about talking about it in this way. So it's a really interesting conversation. What drew you to the part? I mean, I know it's not her that you're playing, but the version of Antonia that was in.
Speaker 3: Well, every role I get offered, I run through the lens of how far, how long, how much?
Speaker 1: And then how good is you know, a lot chirry on the cake.
Speaker 2: So you're always developing projects too, right, so obviously total control. As we discussed, yes, your baby, well part of your baby.
Speaker 3: I know this was more just you know, to earn money, so I have to leave my family, see a balancing So how far away is it? How long will I be away for? And am I making enough money to fly myself back every weekend? Sometimes just sometimes I went back for a day and got a night flight back. So those things have to add up, and then it's like is it good? Because I don't really want to know. If I don't want to know, it's amazing, if I've already gone too far, you know, too long. I don't want the good thing to to make me feel, you know, torn really, you know, because it's quite black and white, and certainly was when the kids were, you know, the older two were still at school. I've been offered so many sex worker roles, so many madame roles, at least two British madame roles, I think one Australian and one American. A beautiful I was in a beautiful film by Honey of Kureesha called my son the Fanatic or I played a sex worker. I was groundbreaking British film and kind of predicted the rise of radical Islam in second generation Southeast Indian community. It was a very very tender, tender film. Everything I've read this is not tender. It's gretty, and it's dirty, and it's you know, and it's kind it's either like really you know, seriously exploring the exploitation well, kind of getting anyone off at home that wants to you know, it's it's hedging its bets and just kind of nasty. And I never you know, I was just like, oh god again, you know, if you got anything new to say about it.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's set in Victorian England.
Speaker 3: I'm like, it's still kind of grimy, gritty and kind of exploitative, and I'd have no content in the process historically. So when my agent kind of said, you know, it starts a brother and I'm like, I don't think I'm interested, and said, oh, it's you know, I said, so they always say ikey, and I just feel like they're so male gaze. Actually that's the thing. There's so male gays. And he said, oh no, no, this is sorry. It's a comedy and it's based on a real woman who's you know, written this manuscript. So he sent me the article and I said, oh, this, this is brilliant because I've just never seen a female gaze on.
Speaker 1: I mean, we grew up.
Speaker 3: With pretty baby like Brooke Shields is twelve taxi driver like you know, like talk about the pervy excuse of exploring a sex worker with the herd of gold whilst you.
Speaker 1: Know being twelve, like that is messed up stuff.
Speaker 3: So yes, comedy female and a queer show runner, made with consultation with women who work in the industry.
Speaker 1: And it's key we did, I say, it's they are funny.
Speaker 2: It's very funny.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that GOLLI heart but not heart in that like hooker with horror, madam with a heart.
Speaker 2: But when I interviewed ANNGONEA Wrod and I read her book, obviously is she was. She said that a lot of her most successful workers in that brothel were midlife women. She said that they a red flag for the women were always the guys who requested young was always one of their flags. And in the in her phone, they'd have all these little you know, nicknames for people. So it was you know, yes, really golden showers or whatever. Whatever.
Speaker 1: Don't wash Walter exactly, but she said that.
Speaker 2: The midlife women were often the most popular because they were nurturing, warm, experienced, efficient. You know, I'm very good at reading people, and I found that really interesting. It's like it's it's a really interesting concept and show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think, you know, one of one of the great things she says in the book, she said, you know, we don't sell sex. We treat loneliness, which is, you know, as we know, an epidemic. And you know, one of the sex workers I talked to a lot of her clients were mid to late seventies, were still married, had you know, the sexual aspect of the relationship. It ended a long time ago, much to their deep, deep sadness, and you know, they didn't want to leave their wives, but they really grieved this this part of you know, the relationship and their wife is kind of like I'm just I'm not I can't I'm over that bit, you know. And so I think those yeah, middle older, older women servicing you know, older men with that kind of tenderness and you know, just a woman to look in their eyes go oh, you're hot, you know, and they go, oh, really really my wife doesn't think so it's interesting tender.
Speaker 2: We talk about sex a fabit on the show, and it's all always very it's always very emotional because as I've heard you say about the show, and it's true, is that when women talk about sex, it's often with lots of humor. And it definitely is. But when when I have we talked to midlife when about sex, sometimes there is a lot of sadness about who you used to be compared to who you are and how you feel about it now, and it's it's such an interesting story like that. We that in a way we don't talk about because we think sex belongs to young people.
Speaker 1: You know. I think Nicole's ending that one no video to Time.
Speaker 2: With the Milk, I think so true.
Speaker 3: I literally ordered a chlorin milk, which is one of my favorite, like last drinks, you know, I ordered a glor and milk and the barm and poured it while looking at me.
Speaker 1: I'm like, why what what is that was here? It was weird. Anyway, A couple of nights later I saw that movie.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my god, I had no idea it really was kind of giving me the hmmm.
Speaker 2: It's one of the iconic scenes in Baby Girl Friends if you haven't seen, it involves a glass of milk.
Speaker 3: Don't order milk without thinking about the consequence.
Speaker 2: But speaking about high profile women, because I also want to talk to you a little bit about total control, which I know it has ended, right, it has ended, But what an unbelievable show.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I was listening to you talk about it recently too, and you said that when you were creating co creating that you spoke to a lot of powerful women in politics in Australia off record, and you talked a lot about the price of service for those women. And I know that's part of what's exploring that is that women who step into almost any public arena, it seems, but certainly politics and leadership, they have to almost agree now to this level of abuse and scrutiny that would destroy most of.
Speaker 1: Us, right, yeah, yeah, i'd agree. I agree with that.
Speaker 3: And I still think they're the kind of first victims of factional wars because they are still more often than not played by ambitious men who are wanting to elbow out the week on the way to the ministerial shut the ministerial paypacket on the you know, on the way to the lodge, because they think they're a genius. And those are very bruising, because it is one thing to put yourself out, you know, in the world and be so viciously trolled, probably you know, half by troll farms in the algorithm now, but you know, to literally have your life threatened and that of your children. And I might have said that a few years ago. I knew, I knew we were kind of going to get to where we are now. I knew we would get to egging in the street. I knew we'd get to caravans. I knew like a politician will die I am sure in the next few years because they're not offered the kind of protection that can protect against kind of incited angry individuals who have believed are kind of very negative twenty four hour news cycle that's kind of telling us that these people are corrupt and the government is corrupt. So I think, well, you know, I think we're headed there, and then to find out your own people don't have you back. I think that is also the other thing that that particularly for women, I think it would be easy to deal with that outside staff.
Speaker 1: If you really really knew that your.
Speaker 3: Own party, your own people were not backgrounding, you cannot you know, just I mean, every woman in the Australia knows if some weird articles start appearing in the paper and she's in a ministerial position, there's probably some background happening because she's going to be shuffled out and to do that in the Australian media and you start saying people are bullies or they're this just weird things pop up and you go, okay, who's background?
Speaker 1: I mean, what's very gender?
Speaker 3: So I think that's the really Really, if you really could trust and believe that your own party and people had your back, because that's what parties were meant to be, I think you could deal. But I think it's just getting excruciatingly painful for women now.
Speaker 2: And it also seems that as that becomes almost the game, the trolling, the attention war, was all of that stuff, that the kind of people that politics are going to attract are the kind of people who can withstand it, which is possibly not the best kind of humans. Most of us are sensitive.
Speaker 3: I think there's a degree of that, And then I think there's the kind of scarring of trauma. Like I think, you know two responses to trauma is one you completely fall apart and don't recover, and the other is you scar up and you harden up and you get very you get much less flexible, much less able to listen. And I think that is the hardened up to and up scar up. You know, he's from the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. So to your point again, you have people in the job who are less likely to be making friendships across the island and keep listening. I think that is getting it's getting really, it's getting hard.
Speaker 2: This to say. One of the things I think is kind of tricky about this stage of life too, is maintaining a level of optimism about what can change and what can happen. And you've always been a very engaged person in terms of public life and social justice. I mean social justice maybe sounds like the wrong term, but you know, social justice and politics, you understand it. Is there any bit of you that's optimistic.
Speaker 3: Well, I really do believe in that, you know, except you know, accept the things you can't change, and you know much you know, I'm quite quite different to the you know, twenty sixteen kind of shock that such a capable woman was you know, not elected and somebody so you know, bombastic and.
Speaker 1: Of his nature was preferred.
Speaker 3: That was a real shock, and that was probably really coming in with that perimenopause moment. I've definitely yeah, pulled in and I think we're this idea that yelling, yelling at each other and making a statement and making a stand is the answer.
Speaker 1: Like, I've got to figure out other ways.
Speaker 3: It isn't another voice yelling into the void of just an increasingly loud cacophony of angry yells. So I'm kind of shifting into what I can control. I have given up trying to turn my high Rangers blue. No matter what I put in them, what I'm in the soil, those high Rangers want to be pink.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's I thought I could.
Speaker 3: I read every book how to believe, but in the end, I've my Hydrangers are pinky blue and they will never be blue. Maybe it is a thing, And I think just leaning into believing in the power of the personal. So I'm just so much more likely to kind of reach out and connect and have conversations in more kind of one on one which doesn't feel as effective, you know. But I think I was deluding myself that the big you know, the big protests or the big statements, I don't know what they add.
Speaker 1: They look good, they look like you care.
Speaker 3: I wasn't doing it to tell people, you know, so I could tell myself. I cared. I was very motivated. But there's definitely a recalibration.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it does, absolutely. And I think people who followed your career and maybe and I'm going to use words that I hate, but I bet they get attached to you all the time, and maybe you don't hate them. Fisty characters, feisty, bullshy, opinionated, all those kind of words. They might have thought that you've always been very certain of who you are and speaking your truth. When you look back at those at you at that beginning of your career and when the public spotlight did first land on you, do you think you were that or do you think you're much more yourself?
Speaker 3: Look, I look, I probably am a bit you know, I am a bit bolshy, and I don't like management very much, so that I probably got that reputation because I just don't like really being told what to do.
Speaker 1: No is not usually my first answer to.
Speaker 3: Just take a second, but a lot of that i'd see through kind of the neuro you know, I think.
Speaker 2: I also want to say I don't mean any of that in a negative way.
Speaker 1: Of course you don't.
Speaker 2: But also because I think that also women in particular, maybe as we get older, we all that's what we all want, is to be able to say what we want to say, not when we want, not you know, like to And if people think that maybe you've always been at that, is that how you see it?
Speaker 3: No, I I think it would have been quite amazing to kind of have a better language to say when I was scared, and I've never really been certain of stuff that's like truth Intellectually, I don't go for the easy answers, and I even if I do for a minute, I'm you know, a better a better answer comes along, and I'll jump to that. So I think sometimes, you know, my husband says, you know, why are using that tone?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, what tone?
Speaker 3: It goes that tone when you I'm like, I'm sorry, that's just my I've got fifty five thousand things to do, and it sounds like I've got resting bitch tone. That's what I just came up with really recently. I said, I'm sorry, Annie, I've got resting bitch tone. But I wished I had been able to, you know, suck up to power better, you know, work the it work, the you know alpha girls a bit better. You know, I was just shit at all that. I just didn't get the MA That's all I say.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: I don't think I was necessarily any of these things. I think I was just a girl trying to figure it out without the manual.
Speaker 1: I'm like, why didn't I get a manual?
Speaker 2: Well, I think you managed to make incredible work with all that in mind. Thank you so much. It's been the best to talk to you.
Speaker 3: They're bears, and we didn't. I didn't get to your your I really want next time?
Speaker 1: And what is your favorite era? Those like what is your PA?
Speaker 2: I actually like this one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I know, I don't know if you're supposed to say that, but I feel like I do have a much better handle on what I want to do with my time and what I don't. What makes me happy, I mean happy is you know, a broad term, but what makes me happy? And what doesn't. I'm like, I like this one. I just wish it came with without the like having lost my business and with that sort of midlife tilted head that everybody does to you, like, oh we're getting a bit old, aren't you. I'm like, you don't understand.
Speaker 1: This is great? Yeah, this is good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is good. So I like this one.
Speaker 3: I like going blind because I look in the mirror and I'm just like.
Speaker 1: I reckon, I'm really.
Speaker 3: Hot, and I very question I'll have my like three three glasses on and you know, I go in to get going to get pull a hair out that shouldn't be.
Speaker 1: Then I'm like, what.
Speaker 3: Most of the time I passed myself, you know, in a very fuzzy vision.
Speaker 2: I go look and good Bay, I totally hear you. Thank you so much, Rachel. Okay, I'm not going to forget Rachel's words easily. I have literally written down you would you did you have to as the verboten words of our next date night dinner. But if you love this, I want you to scroll back in the midfeed and listen to my conversation with Kylie Gillies about finding joy in a moment of big shift and also my conversation with Christine r Nu, who has the same absolutely straightforward, honest energy as Rachel when talking about work and kids and life.
Speaker 1: Massive.
Speaker 2: They're as always to our Mid team Executive producer Nama Brown, Senior producer Grace Rure, Producer Charlie Blackman, and we've had audio production from Jacob Brown. Thank you all so much. And before I leave, I've got to tell you something about an exciting holiday that you could win.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I am about to go on a little cruise with Princess Cruises with my best friend for her fiftieth birthday, and here at mid we are giving away a luxurious seven night cruise also with Princess for two value to over three thousand dollars. You can enjoy the benefits of Princess plus Fair with drinks and Wi Fi included as you sail, and you can visit Port Arthur, Hobart and do some scenic cruising through the Frasina Peninsula of Tasmania, absolutely stunning. All you have to do to enter this giveaway is to be a subscriber to Mamma Mia and for a limited time only, you can use the code mid Cruise, So mid Cruise for twenty two percent off your yearly subscription. And if you're already a subscriber, you've already entered into this and all subscriber giveaways done simple. The prize draw is on the fourth of March. Tease and sees apply. And if you haven't had enough of me yet, follow me on Instagram or sign up for my newsletter, or listen to me and my great friends Mia Friedman and Jesse Stevens talk a million times a week on Mama Mia out Loud. See you next week. Links to all the good stuff in the show notes.