Speaker 1: We acknowledged the traditional custodians of the land.
Speaker 2: We're recording on today.
Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome back to Eat, Sleep, Shit, Repeat, your unhinged podcast all about the madness that is motherhood and everything in between.
Speaker 2: I'm Kyrie Sels, I'm Kelly McCarron, and we hope that you all loved just being back in your ears last week. We sure a shit loved penetrating into them.
Speaker 1: And if you hear any babbling or goo goos or that is Suki Cels.
Speaker 2: She is our co host.
Speaker 1: She is not asleep. I tried my hardest to get her down for a nap for our record. It didn't happen. So she's in the bouncer and hopefully she will fall asleep.
Speaker 2: She wanted to have a yap in a yarn with this, she really did.
Speaker 1: She was keen. She's like girls, I slept through the other episode last week.
Speaker 2: I missed out. I really want to be in part of this, especially if you're going to talk about me.
Speaker 1: And speaking of last week, we are mixing things up this season. We're going to try some new things out. So later on in the episode, I'll be bringing my first rant. But first one.
Speaker 2: Thing not new and a bit of a fave slash old faithful with the shitters. It's time for peak and pit, y'all yuah quean eything's trough to shit keep please kick things off.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I have missed doing peak and pick, so I haven't even been doing on on my social so I'm so excited to get back into this my pit. Well, last week I was recording with mastitis. Well, I had the most excruciating pain of my life, and I just thought like, oh, your milk ducks go like under your arm and a little bit onto your back and you I've got this little rash And I googled it and it looked like this rush that some people get with mastitis. But I was like, I'm on antibiotics. Why isn't the mass titis going away? So finally went to see the doctor and she's like, oh, what's that rash? And I was like, oh, it was here when I saw you, but it was very faint at the time. I didn't think anything of it. Like I have really sensitive skin, so often I'll like use a body wash and I can get some weltz, you know, or I'll spray some perfume and get welts on my skin, so I wasn't like too alarmed by the rash, if that makes sense. And then I said I've got some of my back too, and she's like and I just saw her face like drop and I was like, fuck.
Speaker 2: You don't ever want to see the doctor's face do anything?
Speaker 1: No, exactly, And so she had a look and she's like, it's shingles. You've got shingles. And I was just like, you're kidding.
Speaker 2: Did you even know what that was like? Because you messaged me and I wrote back, isn't that something old people yet?
Speaker 1: And I was like, Kelly, we're old. We're not all old.
Speaker 2: I am like elderly elderly, like retirement home elderly.
Speaker 1: I think back in the day. But honestly, the number of people that I know our age who have had it. And it is actually obviously it's the chicken pox virus that lays dormant in your body, But what happens is that if you're under extreme stress, say maybe you've had a newborn baby and you've decided to go back to work and you've also got a toddler, the chicken pox virus kind of reignites, and that is what shingles is, so it's super infectious. So the first thing I'm thinking of is like, cool, my newborn isn't vaccinated and the rash was on my boot that I have been breastfeeding like crazy because I had masst aritis. I was like, they tell you to keep breastfeeding through it. I'm a very hygienic person, so I knew that I've been washing my hands and I wasn't like letting her touch the ration anyway. But I'm still pretty freaked out by it, Like I'm not out of the woods yet. I think I've got one welt on my back that hasn't yet scabbed over. So as soon as the scabs form, that means that you can no longer be infected by that spot. But my god, like and Charlie's never had chicken pox, so that's really dangerous if you're adult getting she's vaccinated. He had one vaccination. He checked his medical records and he's had one vaccination for it, and you're mede to get two when you're a kid. So when it rains at pause like that is ridiculous. How do I get mastitis and the shing shingles?
Speaker 2: Well, you do yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Do have the world's worst bad luck.
Speaker 2: So he hasn't gotten it, like she would show it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she would show it. She's been a bit unsettled, but I think she's just like a bit more active and like maybe a bit bored, like, hey, we need to do new stuff, more stuff, like I'm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's like I'm out of the newborn stage, like we can leave the house. Now, take me for a walk.
Speaker 1: Please, okay okay, and also rude like she has been vaccinated, but she can still get it. But the doctor was reassuring. She was like, look, if the girls get it, it's much better for them to have it as kids than it isn't as an adult. So just come in if they've got a ration, we'll take it from there. So I'm looking every day nothing.
Speaker 2: Yet whenever I see people with the stupid anti vax arguments, I always think about, I mean, obviously there's way worse things that we have vaccines for, but chicken pox, because it's something that stands out to me in my mind as a kid, how awful and itchy and the color mine lotion and everything. How often do you hear about a kid getting chicken pox these days?
Speaker 1: That is so true. I didn't even think about that. It's not a hofly. You just don't forget getting chicken pox. I remember being in the chemist itching and my grandparents having put socks on my hands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they don't I need to. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I am starting to feel Probably today is the best I felt in Ohanna, say, like ten days. So the mastitis is really almost cleared up. I think that was my pitch.
Speaker 2: Mas diitis is also like I have friends that have ended up in hospital with mastitis.
Speaker 1: It's awful. Well, the thing is with the mass artis is I caught it early. I hadn't had any fevers or anything yet, and I was like, oh, I don't even know if I should go to the doctor, Like I haven't had a fever, but everything on the internet was saying go, go go, because you get the gets wet first. And I think I messaged you and you were like, yeah, I didn't get it that bad because your dad was really on top of it.
Speaker 2: I literally had a fever one night and one boob and all of a sudden, it was like the middle of summer. Still, all of a sudden, I was like putting all of these jumpers on and I was sitting at the table shivering, sweating, and my dad straight off the bat just went, you've got mast idis.
Speaker 1: You're not supposed to do this. But whatever.
Speaker 2: He had like an old box of anybotics that he hadn't used that weren't ones that I was allerge too, so he like made me take two doses that day and then like so I just got onto it and by the next day it was completely fine.
Speaker 1: It's so lucky, yeah, because you hear people just having as you said, fevers, having to go to hospital it coming back just like not being cleared properly and then you have to can turn into like a breast abscess. It's just insane. So really glad that I did go to the doctor. Really annoyed that I didn't point out the rash when I was there, but that's all right. We got there in the end.
Speaker 2: What's your pick.
Speaker 1: I have had a really lovely I would say two weeks with Rue. Our relationship after having Suki has been really rocky. And a lot of people say this that it's something that happens when you have your your second baby, is that your first baby is kind of pissed off at you for having the baby, and also just how much Charlie was the primary parent during my pregnancy because I was so exhausted and sick and tired and all of that jazz. And so it's been a minute since we've really connected and bonded. And I think because I'm out of that really intense fourth trimester newborn stage and the baby's kind of found a bit of a rhythm and I'm coming, you know, out of the fog, I've been able to actually have capacity to really invest in my relationship with Ru again. And oh, like I could cry, I don't want to because my makeup looks amazing today and I don't really get to put makeup on that often he does.
Speaker 2: That's so annoying because I'm just sitting here without a scrap of it on. Thank you look so pretty.
Speaker 1: It's just been so nice. And I think the Sheridan incident, I really hit ro bottom that day.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I shouldn't laugh for Sheridan sheet saga.
Speaker 1: When I had a breakdown in Sheridan because Rue was running circles around me, I had a bit of an epiphany in my breakdown and I just went, something is not right. I need to be able to handle this better. I've got to change something up, and it kind of goes with one of my goals for this year is to stop rushing all the time. And so now for the last week or so, I just am not rushing. We get home, like I'm getting her into the shower. She doesn't want to get in the shower. I'm just kind of like hurting her into the shower. I'm not being as like driven by the clock or like running against the clock in a way, I'm kind of just giving into it in a way of like she'll get to bed when she gets to bed, but it's not the hill I'm willing to die on anymore. I've come out of that newborn stage. The babies kind of hit a bit of a stride. But then I've also just been like I need to just give in to her being a kid and not try to parent because I need to get her into bed by a certain time. Like it's better for me if I just enjoy the time that we have together and take it slow. And yeah, do you want to pull out a big box of Safari toys and pull them out one by one and name what they are? When I'm trying to get your nappy on so that we can go and then have dinner. Like yeah, Like before, I was so highly strung for some reason, Like I don't know why, but I was so highly strung and I was getting spun out by everything and I couldn't just enjoy the moment. And so I've really tried to do that for the last two weeks and it's just been so nice. Like I'm finding that we have these little moments that are really fun and I'm not stressed, and she's not as naughty because I'm not like forcing her to do stuff that she doesn't want to do in this time period that I've allotted.
Speaker 2: There's something to be said for having a routine but also letting kids go at their own pace to a certain extent because they know the routine they do.
Speaker 1: And that's the funniest thing. Is Like my thing is like shoes off, wash hands. We're doing a shower, right, and so she gets to the front door and she's like, shoes off, washhands, do will we go to shower? And then we get inside and as soon as she washes her hand, she runs away, Like so she knows the routine, but she's being a kid, And I think that I just got really highly strung for a moment. I'm sure it's like all to do with the new more stage and being overwhelmed by everything, But yeah, I think that little sherid and breakdown was a really good reset for me, just to be like, hey, this isn't working. What's gonna work for us? And does it really matter what time she goes to bed at night? Yeah? And it doesn't. And honestly, she ends up going to bed at like eight because she enjoys the time that we're having and that we're out having the big feelings.
Speaker 2: You know, she doesn't have a nap. What time does she wake up in the morning.
Speaker 1: She wakes up at like seven.
Speaker 2: I would say, Lene puts himself to bed a daycare.
Speaker 1: How funny is that? It's my favorite thing when roue at night is like I want to go to bed, and I don't want to go to babe, let's go. And I'm like no books and no books. I'm like, yes, I.
Speaker 2: Fucking hate reading books. I hate it.
Speaker 1: So she pulled out five and then she bloody topped her drink bottle accidentally. She thought the lid was on top. I just filled it up, so it was a full bottle of water on the couch, and the couch was like stopping when I was like, I don't have to tell you no more books, like I've got to clean this up now, like let's just go to bed.
Speaker 2: And she was like, okay, okay, it's one thing that I don't like doing. I don't mind, but he wants to read the same bloody book every time. And I know you've said to hide it, but then he'll just find another one and then that will be the one that he wants to read every single bloody time.
Speaker 1: That's actually good for them the life.
Speaker 2: I know, but it's suck.
Speaker 1: No, look, it is so boring, But what makes it fun? I like, let them finish the sentence I say the first, and that kind of makes it fun because then you're like, whoa, they're really smart. I reckon that.
Speaker 2: When he wants to actually like do books like a you know, like a nice story rather than just random cars in a book, then I'll be more like, oh yeah, because I love to read and I like to do voices and the performance of it all.
Speaker 1: Actually, our producer matter got rude like a big book for her birthday, a big book of doctor Zeus like five stories, and I find those are really fun to read because they're tongue twisting and like sometimes I'll make mistakes, so like, I don't know, it's like for me to read to her rather than like something Mondane, Oh.
Speaker 2: I know what you mean. That's why I like reading Harry McClary exactly, because I want to get through it without mistakes. That's my goal, and like to do every all of the characters really well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you're up, cal Sorry, I waffled on a little bit there.
Speaker 2: First, up, we need to discuss my kit, which is having the two cats.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is not a peak.
Speaker 2: No, it's not a peak. Listen, I don't regret it at all, because it is literally the best thing ever for Lenny. He gets his kitty and he lugs her around the house, even though she's like a full size cat now and he's just still a very small boy, and he'll just be lugging her around the house and he goes, oh, I just love my kitty so much. I just love her. And he goes look at her little cheeks like things that I've obviously he's overheard me say about babies, and he goes, look mummy, rockabye baby, and he rocks her like he's a obsessed with her. They snuggle all night every night, like they are literal best friends.
Speaker 1: Of him snuggling her just so cute.
Speaker 2: Like it's exactly what we wanted for an animal for him, Like it's just so cute. But she drives me mad. And when we had Percy's sister, she just wasn't annoying. I don't know. Marge is just so annoying. First up, if anyone has any advice to get her to stop hissing on things. As I mentioned last week, she knows where her toilet is and just a couple of times a week she just is like, fuck you all, I'm gonna piss here, And it's just disgusting. She mews if she's not getting her own way all the time, and she's very loud with the meowing and the purring. She jumps up on the kitchen bench. I have a squirter that I squirt her with because she annoys me so much. I'll just be like, get off that because she jumps up on the kitchen bench. She jumps up on Lenny's table and tries to eat his food. She's just irritating me. And that's my pit because and she also crash tackles poor Percy.
Speaker 1: It's an interesting thing, right, because when you introduce a pet into the home, you have such high hopes that the personality will fit. And I think you've had a really good luck with the fact that you had Herbie, great personality, Percy and then Holly. They've all been really cool.
Speaker 2: Easy going cats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like she is like me and a cat. I remember. I remember Charlie's family. They had Frankie who was like a rescue They think it was dingo mixed with something like she was just the coolest dog, but she just fucking hated humans. So they were just like, we've got this dog, and like she was loving at times, but she was more like a cat to be honest. She just was like wanted to be left alone. And I remember them just being like so disappointed. But you've got this animal. Now, You're like, you're not gonna give it up just because they've got a like Personali they're annoying, Like you're gonna love them still, but yeah, it is a gamble bringing a new personality into the family.
Speaker 2: And I just feel so mean because she is so cute, Like she's so sweet and is just so loving. She just wants to be cuddled all the time, and she's always purring. And but I also think that I don't have the tolerance for a kitten that I would have prior as well.
Speaker 1: I think that that's really normal, Like I don't think i'd ever get a puppy. Like God, I think having al when I think I adopted him when he was like three or something, he'd already been toilet trained in every way and not annoying, you know, like kind of understood, like one with the flow, like I think getting a kitten or a puppy or like a baby animal. It's a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can probably hear her at the moment, meowing at the door because I won't let her in. But you know why I won't let her in because Percy doesn't feel like playing. Right now, Percy is sitting with me kindly with his little legs out, and he tolerates her tackling him all the time.
Speaker 1: It's so funny for the older pets because they're just like so pissed off. They're like, what the fuck is this?
Speaker 2: They like get into her. I'm like, mom, geez, Anyway, my peak is kind of random, and I need to include the link to whatever recipe he uses in my show notes. But the peak is my dad's luxA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love luxA same.
Speaker 2: My Dad's been coming down to Sydney way more than he usually would to spend time with Nanny, and he stays with me because we live closer. One night he was like, Oh, I'm gonna cook luxA. This was ages ago now it was quite funny. Me and my girlfriend Sammy still giggle about it though, because she came over for dinner that night and I was like, oh, Dad's cooking luxA. And my dad is the crankiest man. He comes across as very charming to most people. He's probably kind of like me, just really charming, but also real cranky if you've got him in a mood. And so he was like grumbling around this night. Didn't even say hello to Sammy when she we've known each other, so so just rumbling around and then he just puts the luxA in front of us. But his presentation was just on point, with like the bean sprouts and the shalots and it was just so funny. Anyway, he made it again last night because he's down again. This week, there was like seven people that came over to my house because everyone wants his luxA. And it's just funny someone that doesn't cook, like he grew up not cooking in our house. He wasn't a cook. He would cook every now and then, but it was like sausages, you know. And now he's just the maker of this incredible luxA.
Speaker 1: I love that, though. Is that his retirement thing that he's gotten good into cooking?
Speaker 2: I guess he's just shown more of an interest since we sort of all left home, and probably more so since retiring. I also realized the other day that my parents retired quite young. They were both sixty. Like they've got hopefully a long road, so they've you know, cut time for hobbies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's epic.
Speaker 2: I love that, But I guess it's also just nice to spend a little bit more time with him. And it's also really nice when he comes down, given that Luke is on night shift, to have company.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, I think that's really lovely. And any additional time that you get to spend with your family that you haven't planned, you know, it's always so precious.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly anyway, that is my peak. But after the break, can.
Speaker 1: I just be a bitch for a sec? It's our new segment to talk to me sometimes, Dolores. Sometimes you have to be a high riding bitch to survive. Okay, a quick reminder, Can I just be a bitch for a sec? Our new segment is a sixty second timed rant about something that's on our mind. It could be big, small, and then Cal and I discuss the topic. We'll be taking this in turns and this week I'm kicking things off. So here we go. Can I just be a bitch for a sec? Going from one to two? Okay, So my honest thoughts on this is that it is kind of psychotic, like I am an insane person for so willingly entering into this, because no one really told me. It was all like it'll be fine, like you've had a baby before, you'll know what to do. And it's like, yeah, I know what to do with a baby because I've had a baby before, But you know what I haven't had before a three year old. And it's almost as if the three year old goes nuclear as soon as you have this baby. It has these big, deep feelings and you are left very sleep deprived, very emotional, maybe a little bit of baby blues, trying to deal with a toddler that really doesn't like you anymore. A lot of people are probably listening to this being like, yeah, duh. But I feel like it's almost as if you have no kids and you're like, we're going to have a baby, and people who are very steadfast on not having kids are like, that seems like a weird idea. I feel like that's what I was like, because if you are someone who has had one baby and they had a pretty okay time, they're just like, yeah, we're going to have three. But if you ask someone who has had two, they will flat out tell you that they're going to have none. So my honest thoughts on having a second child right now going from one to two, Look, it really depends on the day you ask me, because someday I'm like, I will never have a child again, and then other days I literally say I might.
Speaker 2: Have a thood. You're insane, I know, Okay, so talk to us about going from one to two, because every time we spoke, especially in the first oh six weeks or so, I don't want to say you sounded regretful, but I think you definitely had moments where you were, like, more so about Rue.
Speaker 1: Really, you think it's almost going to be like the first time, like and if you've had a pretty kind of textbook experience with your first then you kind of think it's going to be the same. And it is. Like when I was in the depths of the sleep deprivation and trying to feed and figuring it all out, there was comfort in knowing that I'd done it before and I had a bit of a confidence to it. But what I didn't expect was kind of like seeing Rue and Charlie like it was almost quite lonely during that time, because I felt like in order to survive, you had to divide and conquer. So Charlie was automatically Rue and I was on the baby. And also, you know, a newborn baby can't take that much from their father at the beginning if you are breastfeeding, and just in general, they want to be with you. They've been inside of you for ten months, but it does feel like you're a little bit solo. And I felt like I almost was a little bit jealous of Charlie and Rue's relationship because right at that time, it was almost like I had seen Ru for the first time in months, like I had the capacity to see her, and she was so big. Charlie kept saying, it's just because you've had the baby and the baby's so small that now you see ruin she's so big. But I got really upset because I was like, I feel like I've missed I've missed her growing. Like the last time we were always holding hands, her hands were half the size as they are now. Like I got really sentimental about Rue. Then you see get all these waves of emotions because your first kid ends up like resenting you a little bit. Like Ru was never horrible to me, Well, she was probably a little bit, but she had these extra big fear And what was really hard was watching her hang out with Charlie and be completely the Rue I've always known, like so funny, so cheeky, all of that, and then come to me and it's like she just didn't she the devil sports words with me. Yeah, And I really questioned, like for the first time if I was meant to be a mum, Like I was like, I don't know if I'm even meant to be a mum of two kids, Like I can't even handle my toddler, like and then I started imagining life, like what would it have been like maybe if we waited a bit more, and I got to see her kind of turn into this like three year old toddler. I don't know. It just made me think, like I really became a parent that I didn't want to be. And that was kind of what I was talking about in my peak today, was like I was just really highly strung when I was looking after her, and that was what was really hard was I think I was really upset about the things I had lost being pregnant and then obviously going into newborn territory.
Speaker 2: I think that although people can sort of talk about, you know, we did that episode, what's it really like to go from one to to them, we had the different perspectives. Yeah, unless you're sort of in the middle of it, you can't really articulate how or like estranged, you can almost feel, yeah, from your toddler and your husband, but mostly your toddler, because like you know, you sort of expect it with your husband, but you probably don't expect it as much with your toddler. I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't. It kind of hit me out of nowhere, and it was just it was really strange because I think I was so consumed by my very shit pregnancy that I just was surviving.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I wasn't being a particularly amazing mum. Probably, I was just surviving during that time. And as soon as I had the baby, it was like I could see clearly a little.
Speaker 2: Bit more and they're over thirty five, get pregnant, Okay, it's no easy feat. There's a reason we're supposed to have baby's at sixty. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think I went into the doctor and she, you know, they say, oh, how's your mental health? And I was like, oh, you know, it's it's not great, a bit grappy. I've had the blues and you know. And she said, don't stress out about your toddlers so much, because this is not a time where they really need you. Like they're going to need you when they're older and you're going to be present for that. It's okay right now to not be the primary parent. Give yourself a bit of grace. I think as a mum, you just think you want to be their world. I was her world for so long because I did everything. Charlie worked a lot, and then suddenly it's like Dad comes in this night and shining armor and he's like her world suddenly, and I'm just like, well, so then it's just me and Sukin. And then I'm like, well, it's not us against them. But like this is where my brain was going, you know. And I don't want to sound too complaining. It was amazing seeing them relationship deepen, and you know, and now because he was so much of that primary parent, it's now like he makes a point to come home for bedtime at a minimum, and he'll keep working after that. But I guess I am a little bit sad that I'm no longer the everything. Yeah, I don't know, which sounds a bit silly.
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't sound silly, because Luke's even pointed that out to me before, Because sometimes I find it so frustrating when len is just so obsessed with me and just doesn't want to bar of anyone else, even Luke. Yeah, but Luke's pointed out, you know, and it's true if it was the other way around, you'd be so off it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: And it's true I still would like him to get off me sometimes, though.
Speaker 1: I think what was probably another thing which which we did handle well, or I think I did handle well, was like I really had to tap out of the little things that make me happy as a mum. And I think that probably contributed to it. But it was almost like I had to be a bit selfish. I had to set boundaries on exactly like what I could and couldn't do, things like perfect lunchboxes, you know, like Charlie was just honestly still doing lunchboxes now, like he's doing a great job. But it was just that I had to let go of the things that I love about being a mom, like creating.
Speaker 2: I loved doing lunchboxes.
Speaker 1: My love language is gift giving, like I loved You're very good at it gifts, and I think doing a lunch box every day is like giving a little bit of a gift, you know. And so it was hard just giving up the things that I think to find me as a mom, Like, you know, I wasn't doing drop off, I wasn't taking her own little walks or excursions like that was the really hard part. But the best part about it, and everyone says this, so it's like nothing new, but is seeing them together. Because while she had these really big feelings towards me. She has loved her sister from the first time that they have met, and it's so cute because she grew is the person that can make Suki laugh the most. Oh my god, it's so funny. And like when she started smiling, was like, I'm gonna cry because it's so cute. Ru was like, look, mom, look, and I'm like, yeah, she's smiling at you. She's smiling at you. And she every time she'd be like, look look because she'd never done it before, and she was like, oh my god, look at what Suki's doing. And she would just that is just the cutest thing. It's beautiful. Like I'd lay Suki down on her like play mat and have the little wooden thing with the dangly bits whatever it's called, the mobile is it, and like there's no room, it's a tiny little playmat. Anyway, Rue just kind of like squeezes in and she's.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm just gonna scoot chun in here.
Speaker 1: And then she's like telling Suki because they're like different animals, She's like, this one your favorite. Yeah, I like purple, like this elephant. Yeah, I like purple. You like green? You like green? And I was just like, oh, this is this is what I always wanted. I always wanted a sister to share my life with, and Ru is so caring and sharing. To see her with a sister is just like so cute. And to know that they're going to like have each other, you know, for their lifetime is like through everything. Yeah, so it's all worth a bit wow. Like, yeah, I mourned the relationship I had with Rue a lot, but it does come back to it, like it comes full circle and then you start to like meet each other again and form that bond again.
Speaker 2: So what would you say the hardest moments that you've just gone Oh, my very word.
Speaker 1: I think anytime you're looking after both of them and that early new newborn stage. Even now, like I have one day a week with just Rue and Suki where I'm by myself. So the one day that Rud doesn't go to daycare, that was one of the days that I have my share to meltdown. That was a Friday, and most Fridays, Charlie would have to come home early to help me. The hardest part is, yeah, having them both by yourself and trying to do anything.
Speaker 2: Because with you were so like your postpartum period with Suki has been so different to Ru's. You were out and about every day, going to your moms and bubs, at the movies, going for your walks, going for like you were so out there with Rue. But yeah, Suki, you're like, I'm just gonna stay here for me.
Speaker 1: That's been the hardest thing. It's like I have not wanted to leave the house. I've been like too exhausted. I think the exhaustion and everyone talks about this is on it because you're like, have a toddler. It's like Rue gets into our bed pretty much every night in the morning, so we don't sleep in, like we get up when she wants to get up, so you don't have the luxury of that spare time. Because the spare time. I'm thinking, like, before it was one kid, so my brain was just solely on one kid. Now it's barely on Suki. It's just like eat, sleep, shit, repeat. And when she's asleep, I'm like, all right, what do I need to do for this toddler? Your brain capacit is just so small, Like, yeah, I feel like my world shrunk a little bit more and it is so much harder for me to get out the house, and when I have them, it's like the times that I have tried to get out the house with them has turned to absolute shit. So then it makes you want to stay in more, which isn't great for the toddler. So that would be the hardest part, just that it is so different to your first matt leave in my experience, and just having to kind of go with the flow, like really learning to go with the flow, which I was really good at with one kid and struggled a little bit with two. But now we're back on that train. So oh. I just think anyone out there who's going through it right now, like in the depths of just in that newborn stage, and they're like, what, maybe what have I done? Or this isn't quite what I thought it was going to be. It does get better. Like I look to my friends who have kids now with their two kids, and they're in maybe like six and four something, and they are just having the best time. They are going on holidays and the kids are like self sufficient but fun and like they're doing the best stuff, and they're all just like, don't worry, girl, it gets better. Like this, It's gonna get so much better. And this like little blip and time is going to feel like nothing, So just keep going.
Speaker 2: I have a few recommendations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've seen that you've added an extra one.
Speaker 2: I did because I just thought of it. Well, I thought of it while you were talking earlier, and I popped it in because it's a great recommendation.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: So first one is something that you can enjoy if you enjoy medical dramas.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, I've just well not just but a few weeks ago we finished The Pit and I have a big hole in my heart where the Pit used to live.
Speaker 2: What's the Pit? Okay, Well, this is Key Reese Sells's recommendation.
Speaker 1: It's called The Pit. It's something like maybe twelve episodes. It's set in a Pittsburgh emergency room, and the premises each episode is an hour of a twelve hour shift in an emergence room. Oh yes, okay, And the series starts on like the first day where these kind of like junior doctors have joined the team, and it goes through what happens in a twelve hour shift and it's freaking crazy. So you really get to see what it is like on the front line of medical emergencies in America. And it's really interesting because when this show launched in the States, he's like, yeah, I really liked it. It was what we watched it at my new on stage. There were all of these medical professionals who came out and said, this show is the most accurate show we have ever seen about what it is truly like to be a medical professional in the United States. So there are so many things that happens, and I want to tell you too much because I think that's kind of what the beauty of it in watching it, but.
Speaker 2: It's just how many amazons.
Speaker 1: This is the first season, so it's been renewed for a second season. I believe the second season will come out at the beginning of twenty twenty six. So honestly, I have recommended it to so many people. It is thrilling to watch. It's heartbreaking, but you just realize, like how much those doctors and nurses are dealing with on a daily basis.
Speaker 2: Doctors and nurses, It's insane. I went to see Adam Kay last month and he wrote a book called This Is Going to Hurt. There's a really good TV series I think also on Binch, which is based on the book that he wrote, he was a doctor in the NHS in the UK for gosh, twenty years or whatnot, and it's a he always talks so much about the mental health of the frontline workers in the UK, in Australia, in America, every single place in the entire world, and I think that we forget about that. Sometimes you forget about the real person that has to deal with everyone in the waiting room, the heartbreak of seeing the most awful, awful thing, like the mental health. I sometimes think of my dad and why he is so cranky. It's because of forty years of just seeing the most fucked up shit as a paramedic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so first on seeing ugh, just just that they're expected just to go from especially like in an emergency room, like going from patient to patient, like you might lose a patient and then there's just another one waiting there for you to pick up. Like where is the time for these professionals to really digest what's happened? And they go through a lot of that because obviously these new junior doctors that are starting have their first losses and you know they kind of navigating that and you see that in real time across a shift. You know, having a loss and a shift, but still having ten hours of a shift left to get.
Speaker 2: Through going home. Remember when we had Sandy, my bestI on I think it was last year, returned to work. We can link it in the show notes. And she is a nurse with the Mark Hughes Foundation. So dealing with brain cancer, like I set, how do you compartmentalize that literally dying and then going home to your three kids. It's just it would be so hard for them. Yeah, okay, well, thank you, Kiris, because now I'm adding that to my list, So you can add Pulse on Netflix to your list.
Speaker 1: Amazing. Tell me about it.
Speaker 2: It's a medical drama based in Florida in the US. It's more about the lives of the doctors though, but there is still like a really good amount of the emergencies and the cases and that sort of thing. It's just the one season, and it's also it goes to flashbacks because it's based around a sexual harassment claim. Oh interesting within the hospital. It's so good. I mean, it's ridiculous. I'm sure it's very far fetched, and I'm sure doctors are probably like, this is absolutely it's very Gray's Anatomy vibe that's good though there's a place for grace hotties. Hotties with their dramas. But I absolutely loved it, so did my sister and wear big connoisseurs kind of whatever that word is for medical dramas, and we have very high expectations because we are long standing Grades Anatomy fans. So that's on Netflix. There's just the one season, and I don't know if they will renew it because it's one of those shows it was like, I want to know what else is going to happen, But it also did neatly wrap up, so I don't know, is there.
Speaker 1: A space for a second season. Maybe it'd be a different like still under the same umbrella, but it'd be a whole new group of doctors and something's happened.
Speaker 2: Oh no, there's definitely a lot that they could still explore within that group. Okay, but the main thing, or the main two or three things were closed nicely, which I really appreciate with a pilot show, and they don't know if they're going to get another season, Like, let's not leave too many things open.
Speaker 1: Ended it really I agree.
Speaker 2: I agree my next two recommendations, I'll try to keep them brief. It's not anything new, but I talked about it on Insta and a lot of people like, oh, that's such a good idea, so I thought i'd mentioned it is putting a platter out for dinner. So every Monday night now, Lenny and I have a platter for dinner, so I cut up cheese, we have crackers. I cut up so much fruit and veg and it's also for me. I struggle really hard to eat healthy food because I'm very lazy, but I have to cut it up anyway for us, So it's like one way for me to eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, whereas I might not at different other points during the week. And He'll always try one of everything, which I love. It's just really really fun, and it's a great way to get them to try different things and eat different foods because it's like a little game for them as well, and it's such a fun little treat.
Speaker 1: I think that's such a good idea, such a good idea. A girlfriend of mine has toast nights, so on nights when she just cannot be bothered cooking totally, yeah, she'll put all the spreads out so then the kids can have whatever spreads that they want on toasts. I just think that's so fun, like imagining an adult and thinking back to that, like remember when Mum used to do toast.
Speaker 2: I think anything where we can cut the expectations of a home cooked meal that they're probably not going to fucking eat anyway. Oven food sometimes, I'm not Let's just have an oven food night. Those Dino nugs.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, that's such a good idea.
Speaker 2: Especially because Luke is at work and I never cook for myself. I'm just gods, I'm so lazy. Anything where I can just what can we both have? That is so easy. Finally, beer pong. Beer pong is my favorite game, Like I love It's not my favorite game, but I love playing it so much. Yeah, I've taught Lenny how to play. That's genius, it is. He's so much better than me at it. I'm like, you're going to slay when you're of drinking age, my friend. We set up the cups. Listen. He doesn't follow the rules exactly, but it's really fun for me because I love beer pong, so I consider it good practice and he just has so much fun with it. So we get the cups out. We've got all the balls. It's great teacher kid how to play beer pongle.
Speaker 1: Those games are so good to play, especially if there's maybe if you've got different colored balls or something like that, so you're like, let's get the yellow ball into the red cup or just to tweak it a little bit and turn it educational. Yeah, exactly, and it's good for hand eye coordination. Amazing, such good records.
Speaker 2: Carl, You're so welcome. You're recommending a bra I am.
Speaker 1: It's by the brand first thing, which is an Ozzy Girl and Sydney started this brand and they're just really good bras. I just got sent their new wireless bralette and it is amazing. Like I'm breastfeeding now on it, but like it's the first bralette that I've worn that actually feels like supportive. My boobs just feel so held in them. Almost feels like I'm wearing nothing but something in a way. And they're really reasonable, I think for an Australian made bra, so fifty nine dollars for the new wireless bralette and they come really quickly. Lucy, my bestie who I host an the podcast with, she said the strapless is like amazing. I haven't tried that one, yet they look we can yeah, and they come in like neutral colors, So I've got this chocolate brown one, which is also one of their new colors, and it's just a joy to wear. So if you're looking for a new bra, if you like me and can only really wear bralettes, they're great, So give them a try.
Speaker 2: And with that, we will love you and leave your shitters, and we'll be back next week with a spicy conversation about Hushing.
Speaker 1: Are reminded to please rate and review us wherever you listen and make sure that you're subscribed, and if you wanted to, you could also share us with a friend. This podcast was produced by us Kiri Searls and Kelly McCarran, with audio production and general awesomeness by Maddie Joanna And Hey guys, we would love feedback about what you thought about our very first episode in the new format, so send us a DM on socials. You know where we are.
Speaker 2: Bye bye bye