Speaker 1: Said you're listening to Amma Mia podcast. Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. Whoever said orange is a new pink with seriously disturbed laurels for spraying groundbreaking?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you have to do it. You live for fashion.
Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Nothing to Wear, the podcast that solves fashion problems and levels up your wardrobe. I'm Lee Campbell and every week I talk to an expert who helps us work out how to get more out of the clothes we already own and tells us exactly what is and what isn't worth adding to our wardrobe. If you love fashion but haven't quite cracked the code on secondhand shopping, this episode is for you. Today we're talking all about pre love fashion, how to find the best pieces, what to avoid, and how to make vintage finds feel modern, plus how to elevate quote unquote boring outfits without breaking the bank. Joining me today is Mattia and Julia. They're their sisters behind Love It Longer, which is a carefully curated pre love designer store with a cult following online. With over twenty years in the fashion industry, they know exactly how to give clothes a second life and help you build a wardrobe that's both stylish and sustainable. Matia and Julia, welcome to the show. And if you listen regularly, you'll know I'm going to start with some questions, so you might be ready. Julia, let's start with you. Can you describe your style in three words?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I would think I'm pretty classic timeless, but I like to have a little bit of edge with my accessories. I copy Materia a lot, to be honest, I'm the older sister, so whatever she's doing, I try to do.
Speaker 1: You're the older so you're trying to be younger and cooler.
Speaker 3: Maybe be cooler, but then you know, I always go back to being pretty classic in time.
Speaker 1: Okay, Julia, what's your vibe? What are your three words?
Speaker 4: We dress quite similt. As Julia mentioned, we do copy each other, but I think Matt Skilling is am I pronouncing that right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I go for timeless dressing too.
Speaker 4: I'm really conscious in my buying now, but yeah, I like to add a little bit of edge.
Speaker 1: Now. The theory that we think is pretty true for most people, there's ten percent of our wardrobe we wear the most and the other ninety percent is there and we wear it, but that's that ten percent that we go back to. So Julia, what's in your ten percent?
Speaker 3: Oh, definitely denim. I just wear denim on rotation. I love a good white T shirt. I can't go past it. I always have a red lipond.
Speaker 1: We both do today.
Speaker 2: I always do.
Speaker 3: I even wear it at homely, so I don't know my husband has ever seen me without it.
Speaker 1: This isn't my beauty podcast, but now I need to know the red lead. What do you wear?
Speaker 3: Well, sometimes it's hourglass, sometimes it's imper beauty. Do you know what I'm saying? Like, I'm that girl, I've got you and everything in between.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you're not loyal to one't interesting? Okay? And what's your ten percent?
Speaker 4: Definitely denim, whether it's blue, black, white, green, blazer. Always go to a blazer. And yeah, a good T shirt called polo cardigan ten percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cardigan.
Speaker 1: I love a good cardigan. I can't always style it, but I just much prefer it. Well, I like growing a dumper when it's really cold, but when you're not sure of the weather and a cardigan you need to get on and off, and you don't want to ruin your hairt.
Speaker 4: Che underneath, especially in Melbourne because the mornings are so cold and then it's afternoon asiler.
Speaker 1: So you're like ripping it off. Now let's talk about Love It Longer. Firstly, fantastic name, but what inspired you both to start Love It Longer? Was there a particular moment that sparked the idea? And for listeners that don't know what is love It Longer?
Speaker 2: So Love It.
Speaker 4: Longer is a pre love designer consignment store. We sell to women all over Australia. It's a family run visitors, so it's me, my sister Julia, and our mum is in the background. And we also have an employee called Emily who is also like a sister tour so it's a very small, tight knit business.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We actually were both working in fashion. I was working at Scanlon Theaterre and I was there for ten years. Matiir was pr fashion been there for over god twelve years. Yeah, and we both were pregnant. We got pregnant again for the second time. Yeah, and we were like, oh my god, we're unemployable.
Speaker 1: No, but I know what you mean. It is a scary life stage.
Speaker 4: We were also driving to South Yarra every day and those familiar with Melbourne beat in the car with your second trial getting to drop off.
Speaker 2: It was too much.
Speaker 3: So I knew a lot of women from working at Scanlon on the floor selling who had all these clothes and they didn't know what to do with them, and they would say to me in the change room, Julia, what do I do with all these clothes? I said to Mattia, do you know what, Let's let's.
Speaker 2: Start something in the North. And it just started off with a few of my clients.
Speaker 3: Matia has a great contact and then it just really grew organically and now we're shipping all over Australia. We've got a website. We just are moving. We've been in the same spot for four years. We're moving into a house in Rathdown Village, so the whole home will be love.
Speaker 4: A long yeah, and it's kind of branded as the House of Circular Fashions. So it's just growingly, really organically and quickly, and we really we're happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so Circular Fashion was definitely having a moment then, but I can imagine in the last four years you would have seen it just explode. Can you talk me through that and why you think that is.
Speaker 4: I think when we started, like you said, Lee, no one was really doing it. I think the whole circular fashion and buying pre loved has evolved and changed. I remember, let's say six years ago, no one was really buying pre loved, or if you did, it was a bit of a secret.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But now it's.
Speaker 4: Almost celebrated and it's almost cool to buy pre loved and have that item that no one else has. And I think it's also about the whole sustainability and people are more educated.
Speaker 2: But we work with a young students.
Speaker 4: From the National Fashion College, from the National Fashion College, and one of their whole curriculums is about sustainability.
Speaker 2: So everyone's just more educated on it.
Speaker 3: And everyone's selling just about the money, every one self, it's about the environment, it's about not feeling.
Speaker 2: Guilty buying more. It's just changed change.
Speaker 1: I agree, you guys got in it exactly the right time. Regular nothing to our listeners. Know how much I love secondhand shopping, and that's a really broad term. I guess you know it can be thrifting in your Vinni's and your charity shops and it can be high end luxury and more where you guys sit. But then there's still some people that aren't keen on it, maybe have sort of an older view of what it was back in the day, you know, like a stinky eighties blouse, or they just don't know how to find the good stuff. So how do we help these people get into all spectrums of prelove shopping.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think, like you said, it is so broad and it can sometimes be overwhelming, but there is like our space is more curated, right, so we want a hard work for the shoppers. We are so selective with what we take. It's like a boutique experience. But if you don't want that, you could go to more like a rent to act. There's something for everyone, but I think you have to pick what, like she said, what you're into, what kind of brands you want to find, and start there or else it can be really really overwhelming, And that's why we have such a curated range, and every item we've select has gone through a process because we are only taking pieces that we would wear. Yeah, I think you've just got to find your niche in the whole pre love I think.
Speaker 3: With us as well, having our mum who's in her late sixties. I'm in my forties, materis in her thirties, and Emily's in her twenties.
Speaker 2: We've got everyone covered.
Speaker 3: Mum takes pieces that she thinks women of her age would we but she's cool, like, she's got great style. A lot of women come in of all ages and they feel seen.
Speaker 1: So we started, you know, I guess maybe a more high end place if we're not sure. But I think a lot of people are really keen to get into secondhand shopping, obviously for the sustainability, but also for the price. So is there any more general info if they can't get to you guys or you know, they want to really be conscious of their budget. Do they look for fabricous? You know they're popping to their Vinnies or their Red Cross. What do we look for?
Speaker 2: It's a big one.
Speaker 3: You're right, you need to buy. Well, don't just buy because it's cheap and you think, oh, you know, it's going to sit in your wardrobe and it's still not great for the environment, even if it's pre loved and it's you're not wearing it. Yeah, it's not a great fabric. We really try to take pieces that are really well made. So even when you're at the Salvation Army or Vine's, look for those pieces that have good fabrics and unique and unique and that you will wear.
Speaker 2: Otherwise there's no point.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're just filling with clutter. Yeah, don't just go with the trend of buying pre love. Still buy pre love consciously.
Speaker 1: What does good mean? Is it looking that all the buttons work or the zips work? Do we always try on? Is it smelling like? How can we? Obviously you guys have done all that for us when we come to see you or buy online. But more generally we're secondhand shopping. How do we vet an item?
Speaker 3: Sometimes when I'm secondhand shopping, I go into this mode where I get so excited and that my eyes start rolling back and I get the adrenaline and I'm starting to really take a minute breathe, go for a little walk around the shop.
Speaker 2: Make sure you really need the piece. Try it on, see if it's working, see if it really looks good. Don't get so caught up in the thrill. In the thrill of it, and I make that mistake too.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I do too, because it's a one off. So you're not you've seen sixteen of the same thing, and you can go and think about it and come back next week. Because it's a one off, it's hard not to get that impulse and it is exciting, so you think, definitely, always try everything on, because that's the part I can't be bothered with.
Speaker 2: I think, yes, try it on.
Speaker 4: I know sometimes at pre love stores like Savers or Goodbyes or you might feel intimidated to try things on because they're hectic. Some of these pre love experiences. It's like a nightclub. But stop breathe, find that space. Put on those Levi jeans, make sure sure they fit. I know we spoke about bedding, the garment, making sure it's good quality, whatever, but sometimes you'll find a pair of jeans that may be missing a butt in or maybe a little bit stained. Don't get too put off because how many garments, Julia, we mound and we've washed or taken to moms or my non news and they're fixed and they're amazing. So yeah, just be a bit flexible. But take your time.
Speaker 1: That is such a good point. Yeah, if you love it enough and you think it's fixable, just really assess it. What about taking a friend because producer Grace, who's sitting in the booth there. I took her on her first thrifting experience and she was very overwhelmed. But I love seeing that she still wears the stuff we got a year later. So do you take a friend who is good at the secondhand stuff?
Speaker 3: I mean, listen, I don't like shopping with friends, to be honest, that's me having said that.
Speaker 2: I still call my mum and I'm forty two. Miss the fact I'm shocking like that.
Speaker 4: I think, yes, but it can be a bit competitive. Like honestly, sometimes when I go throughfty with a friend, I might move out of mine. I can see that piece and I want it. So I mean each to their own. But yes, if you feel like you're not confident in that space, definitely take a friend or you know a sister who I would bring and get bad advice.
Speaker 2: But no, there's only one item.
Speaker 4: So if it's your day, it's your day, and you've got to get to that rap the fastest.
Speaker 1: That is such a good unique point. It's not like strolling Westfields, where if you both really love it and decide to wear it at separate times, you could both get it. I've never thought of that, maybe I won't take anyone ever again. Now back to love bit longer. How do you source your items? You said you had some clients from past lives, but four years on, where do your clients come from and where you know, how do they bring their clothes to you? And what's the kind of you know, the general vibe.
Speaker 4: Well, Julia has amazing clients that she acquired in scam the theater in South Era.
Speaker 2: It's really fun.
Speaker 4: We have people drive with groups full of brand new clothes with tags.
Speaker 2: They come across the yarra. It's so fun. That's the favorite.
Speaker 4: Do you think that's the best part of our job when livery arrives.
Speaker 3: I think the best part is when they invite you to their home and you get to go to their wardrobes and you stand there and they're like what about this?
Speaker 2: You're yes, no, yes, not. That is fun.
Speaker 1: Wow. And so it's just people that love fashion but also don't want to hold onto things they're not going to wear or would rather than be loved by someone else.
Speaker 2: Correct hundred really then yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: And we also have people that contact us via a DM and just say listen, I've got these clothes. They send photos, we send them out consignment Guide and it goes from there. It's not just clients that we know, it's the majority, but we're always open to people with beautiful clothing that they want to sell.
Speaker 1: I love that, and I love that you have a website. There's nothing worse than when you follow an account or something and it's only in a specific location in another state. So thank you for also having it online store.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: One thing I do hear from people that want to do pre loved or not sure quite how to get into it, more of those unique pieces, not so much classics, but then they feel like they then have to go buy a whole outfit to go around it, which kind of defeats the purpose. So say we've found a beautiful, unique, you loved item, what do we do when we get at home? How do we make it work with our current wardrobe?
Speaker 3: I mean, a great accessory always looks good with a pair of jeans, a white tshir and blazer. I mean, I don't think you need to buy a whole new outfit.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure you'd have it in your wardrobe. Yeah, I agree. I think Julia is correct, Like often you can buy.
Speaker 4: That one item that is just missing from a fabulous outfit which you already have. Yes, so don't be disheartened if you know, you buy a sparkly top and it's fabulous and you think, oh no, I don't have the match in pand like, go home, take your time, look through your wardrobe and I get you have it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's probably if it's so unique and fabulous, You're right. It will look great paired back with basics. It doesn't need anything new, and that's going to buy for its attention.
Speaker 3: We also offer styling sessions that love it longer, so if you know, if anyone wants to come in and ask us for advice, we give that. And we love that part of the job too.
Speaker 1: That's so handy. I try when I'm thrifting to think how many ways can I wear this? But you're right, that whole excitement of the one item and maybe the price tags sometimes takes over and you're like, oh, work it up later, So maybe way up the cost. And if it's a pricey second love item, then make sure you think about how many times you can wear it or what you can wear it with.
Speaker 2: Correct. Yeah, agree anything.
Speaker 1: Not to buy? I mean, I know love It Longer doesn't sell underwear, for example, secondhand, but like what's the best stuff to buy secondhand and the stuff that's not as reliable, Like I think shoes and bags are great secondhand because they're kind of more durable. What are your thoughts or what do you see sell and come through the store the most.
Speaker 2: You know, what's underrated with pre Loved is gene I find by denim that's worn because they've done the hard work for you and they're comfortable. People look over denim a lot.
Speaker 4: In pre Loved, we get a goldie, we get beautiful, beautiful brands, and I think if you can find a great denim gene that's been lived in, you should really get it because they always look great.
Speaker 3: So I've bought a pair of fantastic levis from Love It Longer, and I'm obsessed with them because the lady had really warn them in for me.
Speaker 2: You know what's not easy to sell high heel.
Speaker 3: Over everything changed and it's really hard to sell high heels.
Speaker 2: We don't wear the march as. We don't.
Speaker 1: I was going to say the one joy of Lockdown is that I feel like we all fell in love with flats and then designs and styles became more chic and varied in flats. But yeah, you're right, if you've got a fabulous pair of heels. It's only if I'm going to a black tie ball really that i'd wear a high heel.
Speaker 2: And you know what else, small sizes, yes, don't sell well. They don't want.
Speaker 3: Bigger because even if you are small, you like oversized generally.
Speaker 2: So yeah, no one's buying.
Speaker 4: Four sixes, even eights, like our most popular sizes.
Speaker 1: Fourteen, which is fantastic to hear because so often, you know, we did a thrifting episode a little while ago and so many people said, oh, but you know, I'm not straight sized, and I think it's again maybe a misconception or that you do have to go digging with secondhand, But there is other sizes out there. It's just that you can't go out that day going I want to find cropped red pants in my size. That's not how second hand works. But there is definitely a very diverse size range, and it's good to hear that it's selling.
Speaker 3: It sells out actually, and because our clients are women in their forties fifties, week amazing product in wonderful sizes When I say wonderful, I mean ten, twelve, fourteen, that's what sells.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: Anything else you want listeners to know before we get into boogie budget about circular fashion, any suggestions and where you think this industry is going.
Speaker 2: Were you just recently we went to Japan.
Speaker 4: We went it was just myself, my sister, mom and dad, left the kids' husbands at home whatever. Anyway, it was just an eye opening experience because pre Loved is so big in Japan.
Speaker 1: Have you been, Lee, I've been to Japan, but not to go pre Love shopping. But Grace got back a little while ago, and while I was away, she said, Lee Campbell, she sent me all these photos. She's like, this whole row of stores is just for trench coats. And I was like, Grace put me on FaceTime, so I definitely want to. But yeah, it's so huge there.
Speaker 4: Oh it's massive. And that was really eye opening for us because it is not going anywhere, like we are on the edge and it is going to do. Every third shop in Shibuya is pre Love with security guards. It's an experience like this is the way the world is moving, and we're really excited that we're in it, and that we can be part of the journey because I just think it's going to get bigger and bigger.
Speaker 1: I agree, And it's just there's so many benefits, you know, for the environment, for owning good quality pieces at a more affordable price, you know, not feeling guilty if you did buy something fancy and you're now passing it on. There's so many wins. I think another great way for someone to get into secondhand shopping the circular economy could be the little bits and pieces or the accessories, because it's not as scary as going to try on a whole dress or you're not looking for a whole dress, and it can really help elevate what we would call a boring outfit or your classics at home. You wore Drobe Staples you ten percent, So how can we elevate a simple outfit with pre loved.
Speaker 4: So I've kind of moved away from design and designer handbags. I don't know how everyone's going to feel about me saying this, but I was inspired in Japan. It's all about like a fluffy bag or something really unique, and we've kind of carried that on it love it longer. So we've actually got a really amazing accessories that are unusual. So I think to elevate a boring outfit, as you say, I always say a handbag, And like I mentioned, it doesn't need to be Chanel, Bitchi Prada. You can come in at a mid price point and buy something really original and a fluffy bag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. We also have Ana Rossy jewelry at Love It Longer. She's a friend of mine.
Speaker 3: She actually we work together at scamm feet or and she gives us her pieces and that just elevates any outfit. Great earrings, beautiful necklace. And also we have great shoes. We have great, unique shoes that always elevates an outfit. I think if you've got a good blow wave, a red lipstick, a nice and.
Speaker 1: Back to the red.
Speaker 2: Lasses, I think you look good. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's so true about the shoe as well, though, because often I'm quite classic. I'm a Dni'm a white shirt as I am today, and then I'll do the wrong shoe theory, or I'll just do an interesting shoe. And my most interesting shoes have all been secondhand because otherwise they're very same same in the stores, which is good for function sometimes, but you get a really cool pair of secondhand shoes and everyone asks about them. They're a bit quirky and it makes the whole outfit look like you thought about it more than you did.
Speaker 2: It's very expensive, Damney, how would you.
Speaker 1: Let's do bougie and budget so they can be new things. I'm going to bring two new things, but that I would love to be able to find secondhand. So do you want to start with your bougie or your budget?
Speaker 2: I'll do bougie. Well.
Speaker 3: I bought it at Love a booker and it is a Chanelle gold belt that's a playing belt and I'm obsessed with it. And I wear my husband's oversized Colos T shirt, which is my budget my Leviy's which I purchased it love for longer with the gold chain Chanel belt, and I am a vibe.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love it. It's so true and that goes back to how to elevate a boring outfit. It's a belt with otherwise classic outfit.
Speaker 2: And sometimes you can actually wear the belt as a necklace.
Speaker 1: And you combind your bougie and budget in one there. So that was very close. No, that's good. Only one outfit? What else?
Speaker 4: Okay, so bougie again. I was lucky to get from love it longer. But I purchased the Chanelle slingbacks about a year ago. It took me like a year to style them because I thought they were too feminine for me, but they're actually not. So I've been wearing them back with just like Levi jeans again, a basic T shirt.
Speaker 2: I go to.
Speaker 4: Udigo, which is budget. That's a good tip. Men's teas.
Speaker 2: I'm wearing the.
Speaker 1: Men's white one right now. I've had this for about two years and it comes out of the wash every time it looks brand new exactly.
Speaker 4: So I do that look lee a unicotee, a Levi dentem jean, and a Chanelle slingback. And I always slick my hair when I'm having an off day. I just feel like, I don't know, my Chinelle slingbacks inspired me. Just slick your hair back into a bun, use that slick stick and put a scrunching in and you look, I don't know, I'm into it.
Speaker 1: It's very polish, but you didn't have to think much.
Speaker 2: Correct and people think you were put together.
Speaker 1: So true. Well, my bougie finally is from scan On the Theodore and it's inspired by I found a Selene belt thrifted last year, and I'm just not that I would ever spend that much money on a belt full price anyway. But now I'm like, well, if I can find a Selene belt secondhand, I'd love to find the soft triangle belt from scan On Theatre secondhand full price. I think it's two hundred, so that's not outrageous. But just finding something like that is such a win because, like you say, it elevates a boring outfit just with a fancy belt and my bud. Yet I have been loving when I am doing thrift shopping. I've have found a lot of Men's Academy brand shirts or overshirts, and they're so good because you know, they're a bit oversized on me. They've got one at the moment called the Essential overshirt and it comes in a bunch of different colors. You can wear it over swimmers, you can button it up and tuck it into your Levi's and I just love because they're one hundred percent cop or one hundred ccent linen, which not a lot of stores are, or I don't know, maybe it's just the box your men cut again that just looks really effortless, and I've got some of those for sort of ten twenty dollars.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, thank you so much for joining me. I'm going to have to pop down to Melbourn to visit the store, but in the meantime I'm going to have a hunt around on the website. And thank you for coming on Nothing to Wear You, thank you for listening to Nothing to Wear and don't forget. There's a newsletter that goes with this show. If you'd like to sign up, there's a link in the show notes. See you next week. This episode was produced by Grace roof Ray, with audio production by Lou Hill. This podcast is powered by our subscribers. If you believe in independence women's media and want to support us, a subscription to Mumma Mia costs less than the price of a coffee each month. There's a link in the show notes and a big thank you to all our current subscribers.