Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mama Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 3: Hello to all our little builders and their grown ups. Welcome to how to Build a Universe, where stories build worlds. I'm Jenmuer. I'm a parent, educator, social worker and mum before boys. And my co host is Whoo yeah, I've got the moves.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, look at me, Chen, I'm the best dancer on the floor. Oh I think I've got these moves down.
Speaker 4: Pat now?
Speaker 3: Jen?
Speaker 4: Oh? Tom? Hello? Can you turn it down for jic host?
Speaker 2: Jen?
Speaker 4: Look, sorry, I've got a bit carried away there.
Speaker 2: I've just got back from a dino dance off in the magical Jurassic Park. Those dinosaurs really know how to move. The t Rex taught me this thing called the tiny arms twist. And did you know that loss or raptors can break dance in their own way?
Speaker 4: Of course?
Speaker 3: What I always wondered what those clever little raptors did in their spare time. And do you know what learning new dance moves is a lot like making new friends. It can be a bit clunky at first, it can at what age can we expect kids to take turns, share, get along with others. And what do you do if your kid is snatching or they won't share? What about kids that are too much or slow to warm up? Today we're going to work on social skills in the dinosaur park. Does the dinosaur know how to share and play well with its friends? Let's find out how things go and what role the humans might play in helping the dinosaurs to get along and go better in the wild, just like when we go into the jungle. Today is helpful if your child is struggling with social skills at childcare, preschool, or even playdates. Social skills are a learned skill and what kids often need is a bit of pre playdate chat about what's going to happen and what they can do if they're struggling. This chat is our opportunity to help kids feel seen in the struggles and also know they can always come to us for help when socializing gets tough.
Speaker 2: And you know what, Jen, even the t rex had to learn to play nice. As you can imagine, truck, they can be quite dangerous during play.
Speaker 4: Now, my little dino.
Speaker 2: Discoverers, are you ready to stomp your way into the most rawesome adventure Ever, I'm ready, and before we jump into our time machine, be sure to grab your favorite toy to bring along. I've put together a few lego duplo bricks and this will be our time traveling stick. Let's get those prehistoric feet ready, because right after this, it's Jurassic time. Welcome my board, the time Twister Express, my little adventurer. Today we're spinning back millions of years into the Jurassic period, where dinosaurs.
Speaker 4: Ruled the land. What kinds of dinosaurs do you think we'll see today?
Speaker 2: A brontosaurus, maybe a t rex. Well, let's get ourselves feeling calm and ready with.
Speaker 4: A deep breath in and out.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm ready to travel back in time, just millions of years.
Speaker 4: It's nothing. Keen to see if things were so expensive back then.
Speaker 2: Here we go, Hold on, diet, all the pressure of my arms.
Speaker 4: Here we go.
Speaker 5: Wow, Oh, that time machine hit.
Speaker 4: It's different. We've landed.
Speaker 2: Step outside carefully, you never know what's nearby. Whow we are in a prehistoric world?
Speaker 4: Look around? What do you see? Towering fern trees?
Speaker 2: There's a brachiosaurus poking her head over the top of them. She is so big, taller than the tallest tree you've ever seen. Brachiosauruses have long necks, kind of like a giraffe. We're very calm creatures and only eat plants. Oh do you hear that something stomping and it says getting closer? Yep, that's definitely you're dinosaur and it's heading this way. It's a tyrannosaurus. Don't worry, this t rex isn't chasing us. His name is Terry, and he's not quite as scary as he.
Speaker 4: Looks him Terry.
Speaker 2: Fun fact, t rex has had teeth as long as bananas.
Speaker 4: Think about that. Each tooth was as big as a single.
Speaker 2: Banana, and rightfully so because they were carnivores, which means they only ate meat. So those big teeth were perfect for munching on well, whatever they want. But Terry's working on that because he has had a problem with snacking on his friends.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I used to eat others within a couple of minutes of meeting them. But I'm practicing my manners for today's Dino dance off. No eating anyone and no roaring up, closing people's faces.
Speaker 4: Great, just dancing.
Speaker 1: It's about dancing today.
Speaker 4: That's what today is yes, Terry. Now, how does your news saying go?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, greet others, not eat others.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: I'm just wondering what about the meat others because I'm a carnival can others.
Speaker 2: Sorry, mate, there's a bit of a gray area there.
Speaker 4: Just to be clear. We're not eating anyone.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, you're you're right, you're right.
Speaker 2: Now tell me about this dino dance off? What's that all about?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, look, it's so exciting. Every year all the dinosaurs in Jurassic Valley get together for a big dino dance off. Oh wow, we'll dance together. My dance move is called the tiny arms twist. You want to try it with me?
Speaker 2: Okay, my dino explorer Terry's showing us his moves.
Speaker 4: Are you ready to give it a try? Great? First, wiggle your shoulders, shoulders, that's it. You put your right shoulder forward, then your right shoulder back, and then your left shoulder forward. Twist your tail on.
Speaker 2: Shoulders going back and forward, back and forward back, and that's it.
Speaker 4: Now, twist your hips and raw like a d rex. Give me your loudest raw one dancing. Let's hear those raws.
Speaker 1: Nah, look at you go. You're doing a great job.
Speaker 4: Wow. Nice great dancing.
Speaker 1: Now, I just need to remember not to roll so close to my competitors because it hurts sies. Anyway, my claws across that. This helps me get along better with everybody.
Speaker 4: Weld An Terry. I can see you're trying really hard.
Speaker 1: I'll see you in this.
Speaker 4: Okay, my dino adventurer.
Speaker 2: We're almost at the top of a big canyon where we can see all of Dino Valley, where most of the dinosaurs in this area live. Well, look, here comes a group of dinohs sprinting towards us.
Speaker 4: They're velos of raptors.
Speaker 2: Fun fact, veloc of raptors weren't the giant creatures you see in movies. They were only about the size of a big turkey or even a chicken if you've ever seen one of them.
Speaker 4: But don't tell them that.
Speaker 2: The loss of raptors are clever, fast, and love a good competition, which is why they're the organizers of today's dino dance off.
Speaker 4: Here they come.
Speaker 2: Oh, the lead raptor EMC talent tells us their group is working on cheering each other on instead of being too competitive.
Speaker 5: Where else I working on our rapt or rap.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, talent, we'd love to hear it. Well, first we need a beat.
Speaker 2: Okay, my little adventurer, can you help EMC talent with a beat, then she can rap along with you.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'll show you what to do. It's very easy.
Speaker 2: Find somewhere to sit down and hit your legs twice, bump, bump, then clap your hands so together.
Speaker 4: It sounds like this. Can you do that? It's two hits on our lap and a clap. That's it. Keep going right raw, here we go. Okay, DJ whippedtail.
Speaker 5: You J whipped give me some more snare in my headbires SMC you want EMC talent, Queen of the bra with cous shopper, rip up the dance floor, We spin, we flipped, we stopped at the beat with.
Speaker 4: The lass of star moves. Come fine with me. But listen up, dads, we're roll here to shine.
Speaker 5: Then we Dina's got moovestead of one of the kind.
Speaker 4: Step into my circle. Show us what you got. We're all in this together and the stage is ha wow.
Speaker 2: MC talon your flow is on point and I can see you want everyone to feel included. Also great beats, my little Dinah adventurer.
Speaker 4: You were part of that rap too. Well.
Speaker 2: The Velociraptor crew are off to make sure the dance off is ready, and we're now at the top of the canyon. I can see terodactyls flying high up in the sky.
Speaker 4: Listen in.
Speaker 2: Also spinosaurus nearby. Oh hang on, do you hear that stomping getting closer? It's Trudy the triceratops.
Speaker 4: Hello, Trudy, Hello over there. Fun fact.
Speaker 2: Triceratops were up to nine meters long and had three big horns to protect themselves from predators like Terry the t Rex. But Trudy's been using hers a little too much. She's having trouble understanding personal space.
Speaker 4: You know your bubble? Hey, check out my horn flip hustle.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, let's see who now. Trudy's doing a huge flip right now, the pointy horns coming right towards me. Oh, Trudy, too close to Oh you jagged me in the leg.
Speaker 4: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I flip into people's personal space, but I'm working on it.
Speaker 4: That's okay, Trudy, I'll survive.
Speaker 2: But the Dino dance off is starting now, is there a way you can make sure others are safe in their personal bubble when we dance?
Speaker 4: I sure can.
Speaker 2: My new saying goes big moves need big space, so everybody feels safe.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Now watch my Jurassic jiggle over here.
Speaker 2: Awesome, Trudy, You're in lots of space there. Truth is being really caring of other people's space. Okay, my little dino adventurer. Are you ready to show us your best dance moves? Awesome, We've made it to the Dino dance off. Look at all the dinosaurs stumping, swaying and showing off their moves.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we dance.
Speaker 1: It's one of the best.
Speaker 2: Now that everyone's working so high to be kind, we can dance too.
Speaker 4: Are you ready? I want to see your best moves.
Speaker 2: No rules here. Any dancing is good dancing. Mom and Dad, you too. I'm sure you've got an early two thousands U turn in there somewhere.
Speaker 4: That's it. Move your body however feels good to you. Let's dance.
Speaker 2: I'm jumping up to the side. Terry's doing her tiny arms twist and twist. Trudy is performing her two step without poking anyone, and the veloss of raptors have made a dance circle, cheering everyone off. Okay, this dino dance off's going off. I think I might have pulled her hammy doing the t Rex twist, and I'm probably gonna have to check in with my physiolated but it sure was worth it. And to think all of that fun only happened because we figured out how to play together.
Speaker 3: It was so lovely to see they were able to get along and joining the dance together.
Speaker 4: By the end of the story, well.
Speaker 2: Builders, time to hang up our dinosaur gear and the rest of those raptor dancing lenks, because next week we're hopping aboard the Adventure Express.
Speaker 4: I've already packed my hot air balloon just in case, oh the Adventure Express.
Speaker 3: And remember, everyone, between now and next time, let those imaginations run wild thinking about where we might go. And until then, stories build universes.
Speaker 2: And your imagination is always ready for an adventure.
Speaker 4: See you next time, Builders. Bye.
Speaker 2: The executive producer of How to Build a Universe is Courtney Umenhauser, with story writing and sound designed by me Tom Lyon.
Speaker 4: My co host was, of course, Jen Muir Terry.
Speaker 2: The t Rex was voiced by Tom Bourne with mc talon by Jessica Braithwaite and Trudy.
Speaker 4: The triceratops was Narla Phillips.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to today's episode of How to Build a Universe.
Speaker 4: We'd love to know what you thought of it.
Speaker 2: You can fill out our survey and go in the running to win one thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: There's a link in the show notes.