Speaker 1: You're listening to a Muma Mia podcast. Mamma Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. I'm a Shiny Dante host of But Are You Happy? Did you know that one in five Australians experience and mental health condition each year? Yet too many suffer in silence. Talking about our feelings and experiences is one of the most powerful steps towards healing and knowing we're not alone. That's why we're introducing I Never told you This, a series created to spark honest, meaningful conversations that support better mental well being, brought to you by Medibank.
Speaker 2: But you didn't try to hide it.
Speaker 3: I did try and hide it. I've been hiding it for twenty years.
Speaker 4: Two people, One big reveal. I never told you this A simple card game where one question could change everything. It starts like what small things brings me joy?
Speaker 2: I'm not going to answer that.
Speaker 4: Then comes the moment that could shift a relationship forever. As they finish this seme, I never told you this.
Speaker 3: I've never told you. They never told you this.
Speaker 4: Today, mother and daughter, Casey and Sally will be sitting down together.
Speaker 5: I'm feeling a tiny bit nervous.
Speaker 4: Casey has something, bitch you would like to tell her mother.
Speaker 5: This is just like the final thing that I want to tell her. So, Mum, how are you feeling.
Speaker 6: Little bit nervous? Not sure what the questions are going to be? Confident in your hands?
Speaker 5: All right, I've got these Madibank family roast cards which are going to help me today to reveal something to you.
Speaker 3: Well, let's start question number one.
Speaker 5: What is the most ridiculous fashion trend you've ever followed?
Speaker 6: Back in the sixties the very high platform shoes because most of my boyfriends ended up being short so tall, so I had to cut those out. I'm now going to pick up a car. What do you think your most useless talent is?
Speaker 5: I can barely dance with my tongue. I don't know if you know that about me.
Speaker 2: No, yes, do you want me to do it? Yes? That is? That is? That is gross.
Speaker 5: I'm so useless. Okay, So now another one. I've never told you this. Oh no, I tell you absolutely everything, even rude things, but this I didn't tell you because it's not something I'm proud of and it's something I regret.
Speaker 3: So you're not growing up.
Speaker 5: You always told me no drugs, no tattoos.
Speaker 2: Oh I got a tattoo. I've seen it on you.
Speaker 6: Oh must be crazy to think that I wouldn't know.
Speaker 2: You didn't know it's here.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: I just didn't say anything.
Speaker 3: Anyway. I'm not proud.
Speaker 2: It's small.
Speaker 5: It was warning writing French word underneath my rib ill Sophia do lesp.
Speaker 3: It means like you just have to breathe.
Speaker 5: It's just like actually now morphed into looking like something illegible. Anyway, So I did it when I was like twenty twenty one. I'm now forty and I'm in the process of getting a remove, which is a very long, painful process.
Speaker 3: But I think you should have just kept it there.
Speaker 5: No, because I don't want my little girl to see and get any ideas, and I just want to have like a clean body.
Speaker 6: I can't quite remember when I first noticed it, but you're either in a bikini getting in the bath, and I won't say anything because I just thought, oh, she won't want me to know that.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 6: I wasn't angry. I just thought, of course, she got a tattoo. I suppose I was a little bit annoyed. I thought, of course, she went behind my back and got it when I specifically said don't. I didn't discuss it with anyone, not even your sister.
Speaker 3: Oh really no, Oh god, that's interesting.
Speaker 6: Maybe deep down I wasn't happy with you for doing it typical cases, she had to do something rebellious. But it's okay because it's just in a small.
Speaker 3: Way, a big dragon on the back.
Speaker 2: Anyway. But you didn't try to hide it.
Speaker 3: I did try and hide it. I've been hiding it for twenty years. There's a lord of hiding.
Speaker 5: And in the shower, I still have to turn every time you walk past.
Speaker 3: I have to turn so that you don't say.
Speaker 2: You don't have to do that every.
Speaker 3: Single time, because, like i'm you know, we're open.
Speaker 2: So what did you say?
Speaker 5: Say you thought I thought you'd be so upset because you really told me no drugs, no tattoos.
Speaker 3: And I listened to the first part, what.
Speaker 2: About the drugs? Yeah, I didn't do the drug Yeah.
Speaker 6: Good, Now you've got your own daughter, Yes you'll understand, yes I do. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The rest of this episode of I never told you this. Right after the break.
Speaker 5: It was actually not like me to go and do something like this. So that's why I've kept it from you, because it was it's a peer pressured into it. But no, I haven't been happy with it ever since.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's a burden to carry around hide in something. But I also knew that whatever you had to tell me, and I did say this to you, I will already know. Yeah, as I'm a step.
Speaker 3: Ahead, I'm impressed and shocked.
Speaker 6: Even though you think I'm not, I do think you're not. But what led to you going to do it?
Speaker 5: You are really a breakup a breakup, and then I was just a feeling a bit out of control.
Speaker 2: Did it make you feel better?
Speaker 3: Yeah, temporarily.
Speaker 5: Really did you have any heartbreak when you were younger?
Speaker 6: I had a lot of heartbreak, a lot of tragedies in my life. It pushes you to another level so that you are forced to investigate and to work out how to heal yourself. I think I was able to give you a really good advice because of my own experience.
Speaker 5: Remember when you created me, that specially your book. I hadn't met anyone, I was unmarried, I didn't have a child, going through a really hard time.
Speaker 3: I wish I still had it.
Speaker 5: But you wrote me a book about how to cope, and really that was something very special.
Speaker 6: I think I just wrote for three hours straight every self help, thought, idea, and I just poured my heart out because I was so upset for you that things weren't working out.
Speaker 5: It set the part for me to do some really amazing things in my life and gave me a lot of confidence. So I really appreciate it and brought my little Yeah, yes, it's true.
Speaker 6: Your little daughter, my granddaughter, brings me such joy every time I see her. She makes my heart explode. She's just so feisty and gorgeous, and she's just like worse than you were as a child, and.
Speaker 2: You were a very strong willed child.
Speaker 6: I'm very grateful to have had this opportunity learn that we do both appreciate each other. It wouldn't matter what you told me. I'd still honor you and love you and look after you and care for you and write more books for you.
Speaker 3: And was going to be born and you as her mom.
Speaker 2: Now you have the life of my life.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, I loved you the day you were born, and I love you still and always will