Speaker 1: Welcome to the kick your Expert led podcast, helping you explore and learn everything about getting pregnancy, birth, and becoming a parent.
Speaker 2: On the podcast and our online pregnancy program, grow My Baby, we share my experience of helping more than four thousand babies to be born and.
Speaker 1: Our experience of running a women's health clinic and parenting for boys.
Speaker 2: We're here to help everyone to feel empowered in pregnancy and birth with real life, practical information.
Speaker 1: Welcome everyone, I'm Bridget Maloney, and today we're going right back to one of our very first episodes, what to do after you get those two lines on a p and the stick. Often it's quite a daunting time you think, gosh, what I do next? And what we've done is we've broken it up into a can you actually trust the pe on the stick tests? Are they accurate? Or do you need to go and see a GP? And then when you go and see your GP, what information should you take to that visit? And so what we've done since the very start is we've developed a downloadable checklist that is free and you can get that from our website and it's a just pregnant check list and our website is grow mybaby dot com dot au. So hopefully you've picked up this episode because you're either wanting two lines on the p on a stick or you've just found one. So if you've just found one, congratulations, listen on and hopefully you'll get lots of good tips from this episode. All right, well, let's go back, you know what, eight months to when you first find out you're pregnant. Now, we all have a love hate relationship with these pe on the stick things. You know, every woman at some stage in her life when she's trying to start a family has got the box of p on the sticks. Yeah. Anyway, so we've done our We've got two lines. And by the way, it gets asked of us a lot, doesn't it. You know, even if there's a faint second line on a pe on a stick, you're pregnant. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Read the box to make sure what a positive test is supposed to look like. But on the two line ones, even a faint second line is pregnant.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The tests are extremely accurate and very very very sensitive. So they'll pick up levels of beta hCG, which is the pregnancy hormone, when the level reaches about five and in early pregnancy the level might be fifty thousand. Yeah. Wow, So they'll turn positive as soon as that pregnancy hormone is present in the urine, which is as early as a couple of days before the miss period.
Speaker 1: Wow. So I can actually start testing just days after conception.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, well a few days before the So povulation happens in the middle of the cycle and then the little time takes for sperm to meet egg and then a little time for them to get together and come down into the uterus and implant into the wall of the uterus. But there's some bitter hCG pregnancy hormone present even before the missed periods, So even before you know you're pregnant because you're over due. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, all right. So we talked a little bit last podcast about you know, just any generic pregnancy test, So any cheap pregnancy test will pick that up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They're pretty simple, and I mean there's some fancy ones that try and tell you how many weeks you might be pregnant and so forth. But let's say that's a couple who are trying for a pregnancy, and they're monitoring their dates and they know precisely when to look Okay, as soon as the periods chew on one day and it's not there, then that couple will look and all you need is a yes no test. Yeah, and it doesn't have to be fancy or expensive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, how exciting it is. Mostly it's exciting. I know that sometimes a positive pregnancy test isn't looked or hoped for, but mostly it's exciting. So you've got your positive pregnancy test. How long do you wait before you see your GP?
Speaker 2: Well, I think think that one of the will return to this again and again, but one of the great ideas is to have already been to see local doctor before you get that positive p hon a stick test, so that a lot of the things are already sorted out. And by that I mean that you've had a chat to the GP about being on some folate supplementation, that your protection against rubella has been has been checked or boosted if it was thought to be inadequate, and perhaps even had a conversation with the doc about care models, so that you know a lot about what to do when you when you when you already get that that positive test. But let's say it was a bit of a surprise and that that pre pregnancy visit hasn't happened. So the things that are important at that stage once you get that positive p test is that is that you're on some pregnancy multivitamin or at least some folate supplementation. And that's when we make a visit to go and see our GP and hopefully getting to see them at about the six weeks mark.
Speaker 1: Okay, And what is the six week mark? Is that from the first day of your last period.
Speaker 2: Yes, excellent. So that's a really important question. So let's make sure we're all on the same page about that. When we talk about six weeks pregnant, we mean six weeks from the last period, not six weeks since the ovulation or six weeks since intercourse or six weeks since we got the positive pregnancy test. We mean six weeks from the last period.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And this is an old fashioned idea of it. It dates back to the days where there were no ultrasounds and there was no great understanding of the hormonal basis of ovulation and so forth, so that all we knew were the dates. Yeah, And a woman was said to be ten weeks pregnant if there had been ten weeks since her period, because that's that's all we can know for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. So you go to your local doc. And we know from our experience in our practice that there are many many women who actually don't have a local doctor. You know, they've been for years. They've either moved around and they haven't sort of picked up on a GP that they go to regularly. And let's face it, so many women are just healthy and all you need to pop to the doctor for in those days is you know, maybe the treatment of the odd uti or something, and your head down to your bulk billing twenty four hour clinic and you haven't really built that rippor or that relationship with the doctor.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and I think that's a pretty common scenario these days. So you really only need to see the local doctor that six week mark to have a talk about those big ticket things FOL eight and so forth, get some pregnancy blood tests, organized the first round of blood tests, and ideally arrange for an early scan, and that can be done through any local doctor. It's really nice if you've got an established local doctor who can go and see because building up a relationship with that person is a terrific thing to do, not only during the pregnancy, whether you're having your care as shared care with that doctor or shared care with a midwife, or shared care with a consultant obstetrician, the GP wants to see you in pregnancy and help to look after you. And then when you're got a newborn, you're never at the dock more than.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's right. It seems like every sniffle you're down there because you really, you know, it's such unknown territory.
Speaker 2: You're nervous, and a rash and a running nose. You're at the dock a bit. And a lot of people get their vaccinations for the baby through the local dock as well. So if you're a client of an established clinic, even if it's not the same dock every time, it's at least the same practice. That's a really nice thing to be thinking about it this early stage.
Speaker 1: All right, So you've got an appointment with your local doctor. It's six weeks. What do you have to tell them?
Speaker 2: Well, what they want to know at that stage is just back to basics. Is your history? Is this your first pregnancy? Are you pleased to be pregnant? Before I was a specialist obstetrician, I was a GP for a little while many years ago, and that was the phrase that I'd worked out was a tactful way of opening the discussion. And if someone's not pleased to be pregnant, then it's a whole different discussion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 2: So if we open with are you pleased to be pregnant? Then yes, of course, we've been trying to get pregnant for three or four months and tracking our povulation and we're thrilled. Then there'll be some early questions about the women's medical history and also histories for the partner family history, whether there's any body in the extended family here any unhealthy or unusual babies, whether the woman or her partner have any issues with drugs and alcohol. I think these days it's very important that we get in early and ask people about things like family violence. Family violence is a problem that gets worse in pregnancy, and.
Speaker 1: Then that might be kind of quite confronting for someone that's just come in with really happy news that they're pregnant. Why do you actually ask them?
Speaker 2: Well, we don't have to go You don't have to ask that up front, right, Okay, So what I say to my students is, don't forget to say congratulations, yeah, oh my god, and be happy, be happy for the patient. But at some point we do need to ask about those those serious things, those negative things. That's part of pregnancy.
Speaker 1: Care, right, I would imagine too. Another thing that you'd be asking about is their mental health.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, so people with a hit. Let's let's use that as a great example. A one with a history of depression anxiety, for example, which is common. She might be on a medication at that time, which is okay for her to be on in the first few weeks of pregnancy, but may not be an ideal thing to be on for the whole pregnancy. So we like to see her at the start, so we can say, fine, let's change it from drug X to drug why that's got a better pregnancy safety profile. We also know that pregnancy can be a challenging time for people, for anybody, but also for a woman with a history of depression and anxiety, So we would say, how are you coping? Are you pleased? Is your family pleased?
Speaker 1: Have you got any sort of support mechanisms? Absolutely?
Speaker 2: And then if the let's say that woman, she's been fine, she's been totally fine. Mental health for a couple of years, but before that she'd had some issues. Well, this might be the perfect time to reconnect with her psychologist, go back over the principles of the cognitive behavior therapy. Happy thoughts lead to happiness, not to go down negative thought spirals. And because the pregnancy itself, it's a funny time hormonally, it's a time of great change in flux, and you know, it's a time when mental health problems be really triggered.
Speaker 1: I could imagine you know it is you question everything and you're so anxious about you know, right now, but also the future. Like there's a lot coming onto your plate, isn't it. It's not just that you're growing a baby. It's like, you know, you're lifestyle is going to change, your relationship with your partner may or may not change, And all of those things seem to sort of just come in not a person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's not those aren't things that are going to change for someone with a history of mental health problem. That's going to change everyone.
Speaker 1: Everybody, that's right, Yeah, all right. What other sort of medical history is your GP interested.
Speaker 2: In any health problems you've had in the past, be they medical, law, surgical, asthma, epilepsy, diabetes, thyroid, history of operations, tonsils, gall bladder.
Speaker 1: Really what would tonsils and gallbladder have.
Speaker 2: To do with Well, let's say, for example, I had my person has a history, I had my gall bladder out and I had a severe anesthetic compemation. We need we want to know that. We want to know what that was and how did you go? And let's say cut forward eight and a half months you have a cesarian section. I want to know what the anesthetic problem was. So everything's relevant. It might not seem so, but everything we're going to ask at that early stage is relevant and there will be a reason method in that madness. So absolutely, medical and surgical history, mental health history, lifestyle issues, drugs, alcohol, and it's all part about building a picture which even as early as that first visit and what's going on in your caregiver's mind is stratifying the risk. Is this a person with a complex medical history where the pregnancy is going to make a difference to the medical problems they've already got, Plus the medical problem is going to make a difference to the pregnancy. And that's a complex person. And we might say to that person, well, this is all looking a bit tricky. Perhaps we'll get you off to consultation with an obstrition straight away, because you've got a lot going on versus somebody who's totally fine, regular cycles, history of perfectly good health, normal childhood vaccinations, who's got noash's door. And you might say to that person, congratulations, fantastic. Let's organize a dating scan and you can go and book in at the public anti natal clinic in whenever they'll see you, yep. And if that's not till fifteen weeks, don't matter, okay, yep. So we're trying to work out the appropriate place to send people and the appropriate timeframe to send them there.
Speaker 1: So when you know, you often think that you have to go to the doctor because you need a blood test to confirm the pregnancy.
Speaker 2: Is that the case, Yeah, you don't. You don't need a blood test to confirm a pregnancy. So the urine test is extremely accurate. And if it says you're pregnant, you're pregnant. It doesn't say that you're not going to miscarry, or even that it's not a neck topic pregnancy that's stuck in the tube rather than the uterus, but does say you're pregnant. So the blood tests are not just to confirm that a healthy person with a normal pregnancy is pregnant. We already know that from the positive urine test, and an ultrasound at six weeks will show us that the pregnancy is in the uterus. My heart's beating, So that person certainly doesn't need a blood test that counts up the amount of pregnancy hormone. That's called a quantitative beta hCG, and that gives you a number like the number might be one thousand or twenty thousand. Those blood tests are for where the situation is not clear. So for example, we do an ultrasound at six weeks and the woman's pregnant, the uters is empty, and we think, okay, what are possibilities. It might be an ectopic pregnancy, might be somewhere else. It might be an early miscarriage, or it might be that we're earlier than we think and that just hasn't had a chance to show up in the uterus yet. Well, if we get a pregnancy hormone level, that will help us answer that question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, so that's that beta hCG.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that might do two of those in a row. And if we do it on a Wednesday and it's a thousand, and we do it on a Friday and it's two thousand, then that's doubling normally every forty eight hours, and that's a sign of healthy. If it was falling over that forty eight hours, probably a miscarriage. Yeah, staying about the same over that forty eight hours might be a topic. So that's what those numbers are for. But they're not really to confirm a normal pregnancy, and they're not very useful to conform a normal pregnancy, because if you're ten weeks pregnant, the normal range of quantitative beta hCG might be five thousand, it might be might be twenty thousand.
Speaker 1: And it's different for every woman, isn't it. So there's no point in comparing yourself to anybody else.
Speaker 2: No, And it doesn't predict outcomes like that.
Speaker 1: Right, hCG, what does it stand for? What's that acronym?
Speaker 2: Oh B is for beta. That's just like the Greek alphabet. There's an alphab hCG and a beta HG and H is human, c is choreonic and choonic means is part of the early pregnancy. The cooreon is the outer sack and the G is something called going out a trophy, and that's just what the hormone's called.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, good, because people do talk a lot about hCG and they sort of tend to, well, they're at that point where they're anxious about a miscarriage and they start talking about hCG and you know the levels of hCG. But the big thing that I'm getting from you right now is that it's just if it's doubling, and don't compare yourself to somebody else's hCG level.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so. In twenty nineteen, the management of what's called the uncited pregnancy, so we know the woman's pregnant, but we're not sure whether it's in the uterus where it belongs, miscarrying or a topic. The management of that is based on ultrasounds and interpretation of serial beta hCG, so having a few in a row and that's how the diagnosis is made. But if we're in this territory under an expert help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a medical expert, and we should just sort of know that they've got that. Yeah, all right, So does every woman need or have a dating scan?
Speaker 2: It's a good question. You don't absolutely need a dating scan. If you're pregnant and there's no sign that anything's wrong, like you've got consistent pregnancy symptoms, there's no early pregnancy bleeding, then it is safe to assume that things are fine, and we probably tend to get a dating scan done. The dating scan probably doesn't tend to get done until it's done, for example, as part of down syndrome screen, which depending on what we're doing, might be ten or twelve weeks, and that might be the woman's first scan, and that's fine. But if if she wants a dating scan, or if one's thought to be necessary because there's some confusion about exactly what's going on, then from about six and a half weeks, you can see you can see the what's called the fiddle pole, which is a start of the baby and the heart beating.
Speaker 1: Oh, you can actually see the heart beating.
Speaker 2: Baby looks like a tony little jelly bean, and in the middle that's a beating heart.
Speaker 1: Yeap, oh cool, and not.
Speaker 2: Thing's only a few millimeters long, but you can quite clearly see that going on.
Speaker 1: And you have to go to an ultrasound clinic for that.
Speaker 2: Yep. So the GP will send you off to an ultrasound clinic, and a lot of obstetrician gynecologists like myself. I've got an ultrasound machine ourselves, and I might see people in very early pregnancy if they're worried, and scan them myself.
Speaker 1: And do you know whether that is bulk build or whether you can have a bulk build early dating scan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there are some ultrasound clinics that offer bulk billing and an early scan is not rocket science for them to do. So when your GP sends you for a scan, like anything else, you ring up to make the appointment and you ask very clearly how much it costs, and don't hesitate to shop around a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that's right because there are lots of providers out there, isn't there certainly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: In the ultrasound world, there's big variation between For example, the ultrasound department of a public hospital, which is free to go to it has it might not have as many appointments for people because it's a busy public hospital clinic that's looking after the patients of that hospital, the inpatients of that hospital, but it's available to people for people to use as an ultrasound clinic. It's usually free. It might not have as many bells and whistles as a private clinic, but that's fine. Right up to the full service private clinical at the end of your street that we'll charge you in out of pocket costs, but they'll give you they'll give you photos and a video and a DVD and a USB with the pictures and everything.
Speaker 1: So pad, how do we even know like when our babies a jew Like, how do we have a date in mind for that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So good question. This is about something called an ed D or an e d C, and an e d D is estimated date of delivery, So basically when the baby's due, and an e d C is a beautiful old fashioned term. That's an estimated date of confinement.
Speaker 1: Well confine, my gosh, I haven't heard that for you.
Speaker 2: Some of my senior colleagues in of cetric still say confinement. So that's back in the day when the pregnancy was shrouded in mystery.
Speaker 1: And you had to hide at home and never let your belly be shown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the woman would be confined to her house for presumably weeks before delivery and to hangover from those days. So basically the JEW date. There's two important ways to calculate that. One is based on the period dates, and that's extremely accurate if the woman had a nice, regular cycle leading up to conceiving, and it's very reliable that the baby's due forty weeks after the woman's last period. Again, when she not the date of sex and not the date of population, but the date of the period in the pre ultrasound the era, that's all on you. So you can just calculate, and you've seen your local doctor's got one of those wheels where you turn the wheel around to the known date of the first day of the last period, and then the error on the other side will indicate the date that the baby's jew. Yeah, it's important to have an answer because a lot of the tests during pregnancy at times, so we need to know when someone is twenty eight weeks and when they are thirty six weeks. But it's particularly important at the other end when if we're going to interfere in the pregnancy because we think the woman's overdue, then we need to know she really is. The other way to calculate the estimated your d is off a dating scan and first trimester dating scanning done trans vaginally is very accurate.
Speaker 1: Okay, hang on a minute. What is trans vaginally?
Speaker 2: Well, that's that glamorous procedure where the ultrasound is done internally, so.
Speaker 1: That you got Yes, I've had quite a few of those. That's the probe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the probe with the cover over that goes up the vagina and it puts the source of the ultrasound but in which is the wand right up close to the pregnancy, and the pitches are much better. And if you've got a good view in early pregnancy, then everybody's everybody's sick week fetus is the same length. Genetic differences haven't come into it yet, so if you're an African or an Eskima, it doesn't matter that it's going to be about the same length. And so we can say very confidently that if the early pregnancy is so many millimeters long, then it must be so many days and weeks old.
Speaker 1: And how often is that different from somebody's estimated sort of last day of their period and what they think they're, how pregnant they think they are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it can be. So if you've got any irregular cycle, you can be more or less pregnant than you think you are. If you had an episode of bleeding in early pregnancy that happened about four weeks in and you thought that was a period, but it was in fact a bleed at four weeks, then you're four weeks more pregnant than you thought you were. Yeah, and if there's a significant discrepancy, the period dates are more likely to be wrong than the ultrasound.
Speaker 1: A little off topic, a little down the way, but it's of interest. So it's always puzzled me why women might get to that point and they find out suddenly that they're twenty weeks pregnant, Like, how does that suddenly happen? You know, I knew the minute I've been pregnant every four all four times. Well it happened.
Speaker 2: It happens. I mean, some people just don't know. So you could have no pregnancy symptoms at all. You might be somebody who only menstrates twice a year anyway, so you don't notice the absent period. Some women continue to bleed a little bit, even in a regular basis in the pregnancy and think that they're just having periods, So it happens.
Speaker 1: Okay, sorry that was off topic anyway, back to it. All right, So we've covered taking of the medical history, a dating scan. What what are the other bloods for? What do you need a blood test for?
Speaker 2: Well, the blood tests in early pregnancy are mostly an infectious diseases screen. Oh yeah, So historically some of the major problems in pregnancy were related to infectious diseases, and we don't see tons of those these days because of vaccination and because of improved living standards and nutrition. But we still check for those things because some of them can have a devastating impact on pregnancy. So what are we talking there, Well, we still checked for syphilis. I've never seen Yeah, I've never seen a positive syphlis test in pregnancy in all of the time I've been doing obstetrics. But it's still checked four because there is a little bit of syphilis around in our country and certainly globally it's still around, and a syphless infection in pregnancy is catastrophic. There's causes dreadfully severe fetal abnormalities. So that's still checked four. In twenty nineteen, probably of more relevance, there's a check for hepatitis. That's because we now know the way to use what's called vertical transmission. So if the mother's got hepatitis BC or HIV, we can stop that being passed down to the vetus in pregnancy. And so we can't do that unless we know who's got it, So that's what those tests are for. There's a urine a urine test as part of the first lot, which is about finding women who've got what's called subclinical utili so's they've got bacteria in the urine, but they feel fine, and we know that those women, if the if that's not picked up, may carry that bacterial infection through pregnancy and that can be involved in things like premature labor and delivery. So that's what the urine culture is for. And then we look for the blood group. It's very very important. Women who are a negative blood group have some special potential complications of pregnancy, which will cover in a future episode of The Kick. And so we want to know whether the woman, what the woman's blood group is, and whether she's got any abnormal blood antibodies. And then lastly, you know the hemoglobin, just hemoglobin and nine levels to make sure that they're adequate for nice, healthy early pregnancy.
Speaker 1: Yeah great, all right, So is there any other things that would happen at your first GP visit.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the other thing that would commonly happen is the GP would ask you, right, yo, where do you want to have your care? And we're lucky in Australia.
Speaker 1: We've got options, so many options, so many options that sometimes it's a little confusing.
Speaker 2: Yep, it certainly, it certainly can be confusing, but I think we can help people, you know, sort of clear some of that confusion a little bit. And that first visit with the local doc is a great idea to get the local doc's view on that and the options that are available to you in your local area. The pregnancy care in Australia is typically provided by a number of different practitioners, from midwives from gps, from independent midwives out of a hospital up to consultant obstetrician and there's a choice available to people which is terrify. So the GP can help you find your way through that mace. It's good idea in the first trimester to make a decision about where that care will happen. The Ancinata clinic of your local public hospital. You might go there at ten or twelve weeks and be assessed again as to whether you need you've got high risk issues that need to see the doctors and obstetricians every time, or whether you've got lower risk issues and can go through the Midwiffree clinic, see midwife each time and be booted out back to the high risk clinic if you develop some abnormality, or you might be able to see a midwife practicing outside the hospital who does lower risk et ceterac here in the same way. And then a lot of people can have care through private obstetrician, which is what I do for a living. It's a very very rewarding relationship I think where people get to see the same person i e. The obstetric right through the pregnancy for each of the visits and also have that person attend the birth to support the woman in birth and deal with any complications that could arise.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then and then lastly, there's a thing called shared care where you can have your pregnancy visits with your GP if they're a GP with an interest in pregnancy care, and then from time to time a visit at the hospital.
Speaker 1: And it really you know, your decision might be based around whether you have private health insurance or not, and we do see it in the practice where people want to come and see you, but perhaps they haven't had their private health insurance for long enough. So you know, in the it's another thing to put into your pre planning stage and phase.
Speaker 2: I think it's on our list, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. If you're thinking of having a baby and you're thinking that when you are pregnant you might go through a private obstetution and in particular to give birth to private hospital, then you need to have you ducks in a row with insurance in advance.
Speaker 1: At least nine months in advance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, most of with most of the health funds, if you increase your cover to cover pregnancy, then they won't cover you for a year. Now, the year includes the nine months of the pregnancy. So then if you once you've increased your cover, probably not if avoidable not to get pregnant that first three months, and then by the time the pregnancy is run its course, your year will be up. You should be fine, Yeah, because the bit the funder paying for is the delivery and the private hospital state at the end. Yes, so the nine months of the pregnancy are going to count in that year.
Speaker 1: So Let's say you don't have private health insurance and you go to your public hospital and you're in the antenatal clinic. You mentioned that they may not see you if you're considered low risk until about fifteen weeks. So is this something that your doctor will discuss with you what happens between their visit at six weeks and when you see someone at the anteen eighty climate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a terrific question and something that I'm quite passionate about because in that gap there's a couple of things that need to be done, and the big ticket one is down syndrome screening. So if the couple want down syndrome screening, that needs to be organized through the local dock because the window to get that done is going to have expired by the time the couple get to the public antenatal clinic, if that's where they're going, if they're going to a private obstetrition I see patients who are referred to me at ten weeks, so that I can organize the down syndrome screening because I've got my people who do it well and so forth. But a patient on their way to the public clinic that's going to have to be sorted out first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we'll do a whole other kick episode about down syndrome screening and the NIPS test. But I think you know, it's just important for women to talk to their GP at their six week visit, yes, about what their plan might be for their down syndrome screening, whether they have it or not, that's choice.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that one's optional. You don't have to have it, but if you do want it, it's very important and dear in my heart that it's offered to you at the right time so that we don't have people turning up in more advanced pregnancy who haven't been screened.
Speaker 1: And this is all about having the knowledge to be premed with the facts. You know, we have seen it before, haven't we, Where somebody's come to our practice and they've come later they might have swapped out of the antenatal care into private care or whatever it might be, and that window is passed. So you know, that's a point of great sort of confusion and frustration.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is our part of our knowledge is power mantra. We really want to see an educated group of young women who know the basic facts about these things so that they can take personal power and responsibility for making sure that some of the stuff gets done properly and that they can take full advantage of all of the technology that's available. And I guess our ideal patient out there, our ideal young pregnant woman is someone who is literate pregnancy literate, knows about these things and says, Okay, I already know what I need, and I'm interested in the doctor's expertise, but I've also learned a lot myself.
Speaker 1: All right, So what are we doing? Is everything at the GPS. You know there's a lot to cover in twenty minute appointment.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a good point. You should book a long appointment. It's an awfully long time ago. But I was a GP once upon a time, and you book a long appointment, especially if there's something to discuss.
Speaker 1: So you're ringing up the receptionist and you're saying, I need a long appointment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I'm sure the GP i'd love you booked that in advance, especially if there's a lot to discuss. Yeah, if you think it's going to be the GP goes congratulations. Here's some blood tests. He's an ultrasound and he's a referral to doctor Maloney. Then great, ten minutes, it's done. But you know, if this is your first pregnancy after a period of infertility, and you've got a history of type one diabetes and hyper thyroidism and a strong family history of cystic fibrosis, then okay to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's right. Thank you everyone for listening to our episode. I hope you are now the full bottle on what to do next now that you've got your p on the stick. As we always say, if you find our information useful, then share it with a friend, and if you are so inclined, please give us a five star review on either Spotify or Apple Podcasts, because that then helps those platforms to push them out to other people, and that really helps our message get out to all those people that are probably floundering with some information on pregnancy that they need. All right, until next week, we'll be back in your ears. Then keep growing those babies by fore an our Hey, even though doctor Pat is well a doctor and we get lots of other doctors and other experts on our podcast, just need to remind you that this podcast is for informational purposes only. We share lots of medical insights and experience, but everything we talk about is general in nature and may not apply to your specific situation. Please always consult with your own healthcare provider for your individual medical advice. When you grow your baby,