Speaker 1: From Mama Mia. Welcome to this bill, your daily pop culture fix. I'm Laura Brodney and I'm tea book, and we apologize to how this episode's gonna sound.
Speaker 2: Look.
Speaker 1: Look, it's been a big day here, lots to chat about. I've just discovered I'm wearing two different shoes. I have white airing on. Laura's in like two near identical balot flats, but they're not the same bot flats, No, but one. I thought I thought I had done something to my legs. I walked to work and I was tilting. I walked into the studio tilting. I sat down the chair and I was like, Oh, something's wrong, Something's wrong, something, something was a foot. As we were getting ready to record today's episode, I was like, is this aging? Your legs suddenly feel like they don't walk together. And we started walking to get lunch because we're best friends, and Laura's like, oh, something's weird. Oh my god, Tina, I'm wearing two different shoes, and why she hadn't We're wearing two different shoes all day. I'm wearing two different shoes. They're both black, but one they're very different materials styles, and also one has a little heel, and one dodge one's leather, one's like sweet, one swayed one's leather. Here's the kicker. One has a little heel and the other doesn't. So I actually it wasn't my imagination. I have been walking websided all morning. Anyway. That's just to kind a picture of what's to come. Everyone's strap in that. What's that for an introduction? I hope the Jeszys film music was playing behind all of that. People decided to listen to this pod for the first time because I've seen all our amazing social clips or like they're like, oh my god, Meryl Streep was in that pod, let me listen to it. And they listen today's episode and it's just one host saying so I thought I was still doing and I just realized I was wearing two different juice. Anyway, we actually do despite that intro, we do have a really really exciting show for you guys today. One we are talking about the big, buzzy new young adult romance show that has taken over the world. Everyone's talking about it, and if your friends aren't talking about it, they will be soon. It's also kind of set the scene changed how like we're gonna be talking about these young adult shows because they are flooding the market like nobody's business. So we're talking about that. And then we have some celeb guests joining us later in the show. Tina Burke, you interview the stars of the big hottest new rom com of the year. We're gonna hear from them. We're gonna hear about the movie before it comes out in Astralia this week. But also things in your interview wit interesting. Yeah, we have a little behind the scenes story to tell you that only this is the fun thing. I not listening to the pod. You only get the behind the scenes tea about what really happens with celebrities if you listen to the pop so true. So that's coming up later, But first you have what is it a conspiracy theory? My notes just say Taylor Swift is up to something. Exclamation. That's all I wrote down, And that could be have said a number of times this year. But hey, you've been right many a time when you've caught out her conspiracy theory. Yes, and there's a few things that we've said on this podcast that are going to finally come to fruition. So you might think, oh, they were wrong before. No, no, we were just too early. Oh sure, you were too many steps ahead. We were too many steps ahead. Okay, so let me get into it. We are coming up on the twentieth anniversary of Taylor Swift, the debut album by Taylor Swift, self titled of Course. So it's Teloswift by Taylor Swift, and it is one of only two albums that she never did like a re recording, re release of If you guys remember, because I talked about it incessantly, Taylor Swift re recorded a bunch of her albums in order to own the rights to her masters, because she was trying to buy her master's back and Scooter Braun, et cetera, et cetera. We don't have time, but we are coming up on the twentieth anniversary of the Taylor Swift album. And when she did buy back the rights to her masters, she did reveal that, you know, in time, she would share that with the world because she'd gone to re record it, and she had re recorded some vault tracks. It was all a bit like, oh, when could we expect that? And then it just never happened. However, a fan made bot account that Wow accurately predicted things in the past based on where house movements, has confirmed that two hundred and fifty thousand vinyl records have been restocked. Okay, I do want to talk about the vital That sounds important. I need to go back to the bot super quick. Yeah, I don't know. The information line is, so someone's made a bot, yes, that tracks it's legit. It's called Muller. Yeah, and that's all I have for you. And it's like an AI program that tracks taylors of movements AI like it's literally like some sort of bot. But also people have been tracked. No, not her movements, her warehouse movement, warehouse move this is warehouse related. So there was that, and then there was like an unofficial leak that has not been verified. So like Radar Online and a bunch of other news outlets. Then let's be honest a bit skeptical. They quote unquote verified the reports of the fifty K variants. Uh, they asked the bot to verify. They were like, tell us if it's true, damn it. Do you think that got appearance the bot made by someone? It's just it's tracking the data. Anyway. There was also a reported leak of the details. So it came out that a like because she often does collabs of Target in the US. It's always like Target variants and someone released whether or not it's true, who knows list of thirty one tracks, which that is the most amount of tracks she's ever had on an album, tied with Tortured Poets Department. Wow, so we've seen like a potential track list, true and true? Who could say? But the rumors they're happening. Something's going on. And the back end of her website was updated on August seven, Okay, because is that coming from the bot as well? No, okay, that's coming from me because when a stop giggling me, No, no, I'm listening. I'm so fascinated by that. When and like, when a website is updated Taylorswift dot com, you can see the time stamp, like on Google will say three hours ago and like nothing else changed, but people basically trolled like the back end coding because any other artist's website an update wouldn't be a big deal, but an update for her, But there are people who have made basically bots to troll everything Taylor Swift does because and that's how the I Knew It, I knew you quote like fake glitch that revealed her Toy Story song. That's how people discovered that because that was just a temporary thing on her website. You have to be lurking to catch miss Taylor Allison Swift. But so those are the few things and it's like, Okay, Tina, you're a bit insane. We don't believe you. However, I didn't see you're insane. Counterpoint when she did I knew It, I knew you the song for Toy Story. We said that that would be her re entering her country era, that it was a great segue into something four debut re release because it's the twentieth year. At that time, she re engaged country music stations and country music journalists who she hadn't spoken with in a very long time, Channels that she hadn't really worked with commercially in a very long time. She suddenly was back in their good graces or they were back in hers. Let's be honest, Shaylor Swift hot ticket in town. Everyone wants to hang, but she's selective. She also invited a massive like country music cohort to her wedding of people who Yes, are her industry peers, but I wouldn't say she's that close with necessarily Brad Paisley, for example, Miranda Lambert, Kelsey Bellerini definitely a friend, but some of them are more like industry peers who she's never seemingly hung out with that much beyond just like being at awards shows. However, there's a report thought that there are a lot of collabs on the debut, so there are people that she's been working with, hence why they were possibly possibly tenuous link. She also had green accents and butterflies in the Opaalite music video. That was the same music video that teased the Toy Story song, so people think it teased return to country music, and the photo shoot for I Knew It I Knew You had similar outfits to what she wore for her debut album photo shoot. All that to say, the original album came out on October twenty four, two thousand and six, and she announced that she had finished work on her first ever album on August twelve, two thousand and six. Something's gonna happen August twelve in the US, possibly we'll get an announcement that it's coming, and according to the leaks. This will be called like Taylor Swift twentieth Anniversary, not Taylor Swift Taylor's version, because she doesn't need the Taylor's versions anymore. All of them again, but yes, so allegedly some duets with big names, a lot of tracks coming our way, re recordings of songs we never got to hear, like officially, because this was also in the era where like leaks of songs of her would come out and it wasn't AI. It was legitimate. It was her songs and tracks she hadn't released, like I'd lie. So it might be getting another Taylor Swift album and I'm very excited about that. Thoughts, feelings, No, you know, you always convinced me to be honest, I didn't. This is like a bad journalistic move for me, But I didn't even need the evidence if you told me, you told me something was awry with Taylor Swift and she was dropping something. I know how deep you are in that world, and how like you don't sleep because you're watching the watching the movements. In many ways, you are the Taylor Swift bot, always watching, always trying. I don't know how to set up a bot, and I don't believe in AI, So I do it manually? Yes, so you just don't sleep. Yeah, so no, I would believe you. And I guess all the signs point to like she's been seen. I know she probably has recorded or recorded it already, but she's been seeing. Going into recording studio, she was wearing Twain T shirt. That's real, right, Oh yeah, but that was not imagine. But we do think that around that time might have been when she was doing the re records for the debut album, and she might have had Shania on. Yeah, I reckon. I think there's gonna be big country name on this album along with her. I think it'd be a big deal. I'm very excited. Yeah, I mean the twentieth anniversary would be huge for anyone, but I think for Taylor Swift because she really leans into those moments and nostalgia and celebrating milestones and giving fans extra all the time, that she would have had this on her radar for the last five years building up to it. And the thing is like with reputation, she said when she did sit down to try to re record that album, she was like, it's perfect, I can't do it. Yeah, So it just would have been a harrowing album to re record all about her love for Joe Alwyn, whereas she was like, yep, I've redone my Taylor Swift album, so we knew we'd probably hopefully get it at some point. Yeah, well excited for that. Ten will keep us abreast. She try and get the bot on the pod for announcement day to get like an insider scoop. Okay, stay alert but not alarmed, is what I'll say about Taylor spat Okay, that's just good advice for her. Always give an eye up. Sometimes I'm not the best at talking about things I love because I love them too much. But we're going to get through it today. And that is because I have a buzzy new TV show that I need to tell you about that I stayed up until like almost three am been watching last week and it is Sterling Point on Prime Video. Have you had a chance yet to watch any No? No, just because as I was on leave last week. But I wasn't on leave lying on the beach. I was on leave looking after tiny children. Yes, by myself, I'm a number one fan of the Yes, And I know parents can watch TV shows and have young children, but well, no, no, when you've just got them for a week, you've got to be your hands on deck and then you have I have my TV time. So no, I haven't watched it yet, but I'm I'm hopeful, but I'm also a little skeptical. It's just there's obviously been so many incredible young adult romances that have come out in the last couple of years and especially this year, but like some of them have not been great. And as I told you, I want to love them. I I was raised on like some of the best young adults yes romance shows of all time, and I want nothing more than for the youth of the today to experience that, but also me as a fully blown adult, to still be able to watch that. And I know it's on popular opinion, Like I loved off campus. I thought it was great. I want to watch this in too. It wasn't giddy for the leads kind of No, we've had this conversation before. You look shocked. It was kind of like it. It was good, but it wasn't like it was lewed in, like their chemistry and we haven't just do anything that. I didn't really do anything for me enough, And then like what was the other one every year after Oh, that's a whole other conversation. I just remember me like talking about on the pod and being like and anyway, it's fine, and I stand by that it's fine. But the thing is, it has the potential to be great. Why wasn't it great Because they changed the story too much for it to be great and the casting was bad. I'll say it. The casting was bad. I see, think about a young adult romance or just like a teen show in general's like teen shows get written off for being silly, they're for kids, like they're just nothing. But for them to work like they worked back in the day in the early two thousands, they have to be made like Prestige TV. Yes, and I think, okay, this is not in every year segment. Okay, there were I think there were a lot of problems with what happened with that being a success given the book is actually incredible. I love that book. I love the second books. No, and you've convinced me. I have the books on home. I'm going to read them. They're very different. And I think part of the struggle for a lot of people was the struggle with the duel timeline of that show because people were like, does she have the brain or not? Is she a child or is she an adult? Now? Oh yeah? The people they cast to play vastly different ages. It was just hard to tell honestly a lot of the time what was happening. Oh yeah, with the lead girl, Percy, It's like she'd be in a scene, I'd be like, oh, it's adult Percy and it's team Percy girls. People making shows. This is why characters have fringes and bobs or dye their hair, like there's always something to show. What age Bracketburians and I still enjoyed looked part it just wasn't as as we needed it to be. It wasn't as grand and as big. It had its pitfalls. Well, I was just thinking of like the like the teen shows of like the Golden Age, which I think is the early two thousands, because the OC had like its anniversary the other day, and say, we want about the OC the first season in particular, but I'd say the first three seasons. The pilot is spectacular, Like people study that in storytelling courses of how to introduce characters, plot, storyline break, different beats of a story arc. It's so incredibly done. The show itself is so well done, and even like I've been rewatching some old episodes of Gossip Girl recently because it's all my mind could take in, and I was like, I know a lot of the actors from Gossip Girl. I hate it, and a lot of people talk about it being trash, but when you watch it, it's like this is like high, like it's it makes such an impact. The casting is so incredible. Every scene is like so heighth and like it's an old Shakespearean drama. The attention to detail, the budget, all those things. They're not throwing three nondescript actors next to a backdrop of the lake and being like they're in love and you, audience, you sort yourself out. Okay. So unfortunately this one does take place at a lake. No, I want the lake. I want the lake. I grew up on Dawson's Creek. I love a body of water. Yes, I love water in a teen show. Yeah, yeah, the oc a beach, Dawson's Creek a creek like important. The Summer Return pretty that was great, Yes, And I think what the Summer Return pretty understood about being a teen prestige drama is the parents also need to have interesting plot lines or at the very least be like an interesting interwoven part of the plot, like in Dawson's Creek. Sometimes the parents were like having a moment, but otherwise it was just like they were still just around. Yeah, anyway, like I cared about them, or at least their storyline interspersed, you know, and in the summer term pretty obviously, Like I love Laurel so much, like I want to hang out with her, I want her tank top, want all of it. Yeah, I guess like Dawson's Creek One Tree Hill, like the parents were there more so than like a Beverly Hill's nine o two on it, where the parents would just open the door and then you never see them again. Yeah, but I guess where like parents became part of the show was like the OC and Gossip Girl. Hey, you find out Lily and Rufus used to hook up on a dingy tour. Sometimes you care more about the Palace Hallow plot line. Yeah great, so sterling point, Okay, kepis side. I'm just so but no, you're helping me because these are a lot of things I wanted to I can't watch Tina, don't bring me out of the Bad teen Show. I can't deal with news is that Josh Schwartz, creator of the OC. Obviously I love Josh Schwartz with all my heart and soul. Yeah, hey you for getting Heart of Dixie. Josh Schwartz's creator, guy behind the OC, Gossip Girl and a Heart of Dixie is involved with Sterling Point as one of the co and I'm sold. Yeah, and you're sold. I'm salt and you don't need anything else to sell you except here's one. Meghan Park Oh, sold again, Sold again. The show is created by Meghan Park, who also recently created a movie that we loved called My Old Art starring Aubrey Plaza, and it was also a lakeside coming of age story of course, the Lake, The Lake. I know that we talk so much about how much we love that movie My Old Ars when it came out in cinemas, but obviously it was just a small movie. It is out now on Prime Video. It might be other places, but it's definitely on Prime. If anyone hasn't seen that, run right now, put your child down, Quit your job. I think about that movie all the time. That was an excellent It was so beautifully done at such an original idea, such a good cast. Aubrey Plaza actually her best role, one of her best roles. She was excellent outside of like the really over the top comedy that she does, No, she was incredible. So Meghan Park, if that name does sound familiar to you, she was a star on the Secret Life of the American Teenager. Did you ever? No, I never watched that actually, and she was I'm aware that's where Shale Woodley's character, yes, has is a teen mum, right, yeah, but it's the most bonkers plot you've ever heard. And sometimes I just watched the clips on wait, what do you mean, just like the things that would happen in that show that was like not prestige teen drama. That was oh, it kind of looks like that, don't know. I just wasn't in the right kind of like headspace to watch that. Now. I never went back to him. Like Shalale Woodley always looks sad, she is a teen. She always was sad and annoying. Francis Erasia, isn't it too? Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, it was like I can't get into that. We don't have time. But Meghan Park was also in like a bunch of Hallmark things. She was in the movie what If. So she's been around, but she's really shining as like a writer and a creator and she's doing amazing work. So she also did The Fallout, and then she did My Old Ass and now Sterling Point. Oh foll that was great. Yeah the fall Yeah yeah, with Jenna Ortega. Yeah, and Maddie'sigler. Yeah. You also then was in mild Us and she likes to cast maddi'siglerin things. But let's not hold that against she's not cast. Oh thank goodness. So Sterling Point is, yes, a teen drama, but oh my god, it's so much more. Okay. So Sterling Point follows seventeen year old twins Annie, played by Ella Ruben, who looks exactly like Anne Hathaway and has previously played Anne Hathaway's daughter in The Idea of You, the Like Boy bandy movie. Did you watch that? Oh yeah, yeah, please, Okay, I see what it's look at me like you've never I've seen it multiple times. I reade a whole think piece about what it means to turn forty from that movie, which is what because there was a line in there is like you start your life in your twenties, you build it in your thirties, and in your forties is where you like start to enjoy it. That was a lovely way to say it. Okay, that's nice. I mean, I'll put it in the show notes. You didn't have to read. It's fine, but I just thought was really nice. It's a big point of the movie. No, no, I've obviously seen that movie a thousand times and I've read the book. It's great. Ella Rubin is until Dawn? Is that her as well? Based on the video game? Yeah. Yeah, she's like a screen queen and she hacks clowns to pieces and stuff. She's really good, amazing well, yes, excellent actress. So seventeen year old twins Annie played by Ella Rubin and Connor played by Mark Ruffalo's son Keen Ruffalo. Oh yeah, he's sensational. So they live like a very charmed, kind of spoiled life. They're in New York. Their dad is Stephen played by j du Plus who was in the Midi Project. Oh yeah, I'm across the two annoying brothers. Yeah. So the twins were adopted as babies and they've spent their whole lives in this like lovely New York setting, very wealthy, very privileged. However, they did lose their mum when they were babies, and they've never obviously gotten to know her side of the family or really know much about her beyond what they know from their dad. Then their maternal grandfather suddenly passes away and he leaves them his Canadian island called Sterling Point. Wow, and it's great. They don't know anything about him, they've never met him before. They're like, why did this guy leave us an island called Sterling Point? Oh, by the way, did mum hang out in Canada a lot? What's that about? They're like, very confused. Is it an island that people live on it? It's like an island like a little pitch when people live on. But he did own it? Oh okay. And then their dad is really weird about the situation. He's like, I'm going to take that. When the lawyer comes and is like, hey, your grandad's left you this in your will and some letters, he takes the letters, he takes everything away. He's like, nope, I'm gonna talk about this with you guys later. By Annie Curious Soul, she's recently not gotten into a business summer camp. They're seventeen, they're in high school, they're finishing high school. She's a bit sad. She goes snooping around, she finds the letters, and she decides, I'm going to go to Sterling Point myself and figure out the situation, because why is dad being weird as hell? She gets to Sterling p Point, stuff happens, is her mum still alive? They do like weirdly, try to make that a thing, but the time will be crazy. What she finds is like only the first of many twists, and it is in the trailer, so it's not a spoiler. It's the whole premise of the show. And it is the fact that she gets to Sterling Point and she discovers Ramona, which is the sister she never knew existed, is her mum's biological daughter, whereas she was her mum's adopted daughter. So it obviously raises a million questions. They're about the same age. She's like, what's going on? So obviously, Oh, I had not even watched the trailer, like I was keeping out no, no, because I knew that I wasn't going to watch it because I wasn't here for a week and watch last week, so I haven't watched anything I'm saving at all. So all right, I spoiler. No, that's fine to have a spoiler. I'm like, I genuinely didn't know that was the plot. That's crazy. So she discovers a sister, Ramona, and then from there it's sort of like small town drama unfurling. So I do think it's a lot like Dawson's Creek and very Hard of Dixie in that sense, because it's like, if you recall the plot of Heart of Dixie, a girl gets a letter from a man who's like, come to my practice. Doctor Zoe Hart praising for people who haven't seen it, played by Rachel Bilson from The OC. Doctor Zoe Hart receives a letter that tells her to come to town, and then she comes to town and then she's like, hey, surprise, you had a dad, finds out her dad that she thought her dad was on her dad. Her dad was a small town doctor. It's all mysteries and oh, Josh Wat's is so predictable, and I love that man so much. He's just like, I know what the people want. So there's okay, lots of family heartache, lots of twists and turns. The twists and turns could start to feel a little bit like two nine o two one zero, right, They don't ever. I think that's because the cast is so strong, and Megan Park has done some interviews about this, but the dialogue is just really strong. And that's because she said when she was writing, she knows a lot of gen Z shows when you watch them on screen, it just doesn't feel like how people talk, and people have tried to like build slang in that they don't understand, or like make jokes that someone young wouldn't make. So she told the actors as well, like do what you want with it, Like here's the bones of the script, but I want you to do what you think your character would. You were saying this moment. And then she also as she was writing, was like reading it out loud, which is like writing one oh one, but apparently no one else is doing it because this is one of the few like gen Z shows that I've actually seen a lot of gen Z praising for like not having cringe language and like being quite believable to how people would react in this situation. So these two sisters sort of find each other like side cabin, and they start to figure out what's gone on with their mum and how they've both been kept a secret from each other for their whole life interest. So it's very like dramatic, intense plot line. I cried so many times, really, so I was a fucking mess. I was crying non stop. Oh. I did not think it was that kind of kind of shy. It was like a sexy teen summer. There's romance and everyone is really trying to build it up like love triangle, because that's because now there are a few love interests. But I will say it's never been easier to pick it to. Okay, it's not hard. It's not really a triangle, more of a line. It's a pretty solid line, and then there's just like a guy that's okay. The love triangle thing only works in certain storylines, certain characters, and I think we need to step that's become like a bit of a storytelling crutch now where people are like, it's three sexy teens and a love triangle and a body of water and that's all we need. Yeah, And sometimes will they won't they with just a couple or just like a really good lobe, like slow Burn romance is actually more enticing to watch than a love triangle. There's the vague notion of a triangle, sure, like someone drew a triangle and then rubbed it out with a little eras but you even as they're sort of going through the motions and as well, it doesn't feel like, I don't know, just like teen Triangle, It feels very much just more like a realistic depiction of someone who's like just found out something hugely life altering and is maybe making not the best decisions they could have made it at every point in time to like do the thing that they wanted to do or be with the person they want to be with. Like I also think that's what's really good about it and feels a bit more like a proper retro teen drama is that like they make mistakes, they do things that are ridiculous, or like they don't communicate their feelings properly, and then they fuck up a relationship, but in a way where you or not just like, oh, you remember when Belly was always being crazy on the summer and you're like, now, what Belly like that? You're like, I see you, queen, Like I get it. Yeah, there's a lot of like love between the characters as well. They're all very supportive of each other because I can't it's not like angry teen characters just angry each other all the time. And again, a good teen drama is also built from like they have to have some fun times. There's a bit of teen anger. But I will say, well, just also fair because the parents Shenanigan's ahoy okay, okay, so that's right off. Oh okay, how's Keen Ruffalo? How's he? Damn good? Is he makes me happy? Love him?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 1: Okay? Okay? The two lead girls excellent. I think they've got great careers ahead of them. They are fantastic. But Keen Ruffalo is so funny. So he's like, while Annie is like, I want to find out what's happened here, He's like, I don't give a shit. I love my rich, privileged New York life. I love it being here. And he's very much the comedic relief brother but also has his own shit to deal with, and it's very like he brings a lot of light and a lot of fun to what could yeah become quite like, Oh, it's drab and dreary and life's hard. He adds a bit of fun, but he also looks so much like Joe Keary. Oh I've heard, but he'll say that I didn't see it until I saw him acting. Mark Ruffalo's son is out there like making a name for himself. Everyone's just like, Hey, that's the guy from Stranger Things. And we all know how I feel about Joe Keary. You love Joe Cary. Well, that's kind of interesting because Mark Ruffalo, like he it's so interesting because he is one of the biggest stars in the world in like the franchises he's in, the movies he's been in, but he's so low key, Like no one's out there like trying to get photos of Mark Ruffalo or like you know what I mean, or yeah, not that he's like and he's he's a lovely I've only met him briefly once. We actually both got knocked over a barriquet where fans trying to get to him, not me, but I hear lovely things about him. But he's just like kind of so low key, and he's kept his kids, all of his kids so out of the spotlight. Yeah, and I feel like they're the kind of so they're this huge celeb family that could just walk down the street and I don't think they'd get like people would even pay them that much attention. Yeah, just because they I think he set that up to liberately that they're very low key. Yes. And now he's got a son that's wanting to be an actor. And I was reading an interview with Keene where they said like, oh, what advice did your dad give you? And he was like, oh, he just said to me, like, it's going to be a long, hard road, and you know you'll go to hundreds of auditions or you'll get turned away, turned away, turned away, everyone will tell you. No, You've just got to keep working. And I was like, oh, that's a lovely sentiment. Probably not for you, Keen Ruffalo, probably for your dad at time, because he has his dad's charm man, he's hot, yeah exactly, and he has his dad's name, and his dad's an avenger, and I think I think Keen Ruffalo probably just Keen Ruffalo is going to make it. I love it, like, I just love him giving him that advice. I love Mark giving him his son that advice, trying to be really father and also talking about what he did go through because Mark Ruffalo was like before he got a few rong comms and before Avengers, Yeah, he was doing the audition rounds for a long time and he missed out a lot of big roles and he said he got told that he wasn't like attractive enough to be a movie star or be a leading man and all these sorts of things. And then and now his son's coming up, and he's trying to like get his son ready. But it's a different path, isn't it for your dad's margrapher And I feel like he's but he's like owning it and that's as we've said, that's all we want from our Hollywood nec Yeah. Is he's been very honest about it, and he's been quite funny in interviews with his co stars about it. Yeah he seems sweet. Okay, that makes me really happy that he's really good. Yeah, it really is, okay, And there's a really fun relationship. So when he does eventually come to Sterling Point, he meets all these cool people who Anie's already sort of gotten to know. Like, there's really fun dynamics building in a way that I think will be good for a second season. And they're definitely like going to do a second season. Oh good. It ends in a way that's really interesting, and it also is like picking up massively on prime video. I think when I followed the actors, they were in like the low, like tens of thousands in their followers, and it's just growing exponentially. I love that your course at the weekend you are a bot. How many episodes that there's eight episodes and yesso did bingewash them all? I mean, I think we need to go back for TV series to at least ten, ten or twelve because they used to be twenty two. Yeah, I know, I agree. However, what I will say is there's no you know, you know how you'd watch an episode of Dawson's Creak and it was just Dawson making like a fucking video or something. No, I no, I don't feel like that school assignmental. No. No, That's that is why I warn people when they watch a show like Dawson's Creek, it is like it's a different like it's almost like a different muscle, you know how, Like people can't so different. People can't watch movies now because they're so used to watching TikTok videos. Yeah, and I find now people can't watch like old teen shows because they used to, Yeah, eight episodes, so much happening and everything's happening, whereas but then you lose all those like fun filler episodes where you do but that's why they got a roach and the car breaks down or something, or Dorson's Creek. They did an episode about that, Like they had their own blair Witch where they went to an island. I know that was haunted, but I just said, did nothing for the plot, Yes, exactly, but you have to accept that those days are gone and they're only sticking around for sitcoms and we're blessed to even have that. And I think if this had been a twelve episode series, it just would have dragged it, like because do you know what, like you can't have filler in the midst of other episodes that have abs litely nothing like everything all at once, so it's like it can't be like high stakes, and then there's a filler episode when we got on a boat and then like there's like some fun. So it does still manage to weave in like the teen fun and the excitement, and you really go through a roller coaster of emotions because there's so much happening. But Jeffrey Dean Morgan, your love from the Walking Dead is in this as one of them. Shut up, why don't you lead with that? You keep talking? Sorry, that's so fair. Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Yeah, is not only my Love from the Walking Dead. It's like he's actually terrible that show. Like he's one of the worst villains ever. I can because I can get appelling. But because he's also from Supernatural. Oh, I thought you were going to say graz Animal No, no, no. I loved him and Grays Anatomy too because that's when I was in my hardcore Grays Anatomy fan phase. But he also they he also plays John Winchester, and that is so important. That is important to you. Missy Pile also one of the parents. She plays like a drunk mom and she's all the time. Sorry, I would a sort of squealing, but I literally looked, got nothing about this show that's on life like Missy Pile. Yeah, that is the name. I haven't heard again so many movies, so many TV shows. She is a comedic genius. Yeah, and she's very funny. I was just three watching with my sisters a while ago, josing in the Pussycats a classic Missy pile. I know she's not in it that much, but like everything, just when she popped up on screen, I'm like, God, you're good in everything. She's great and everything. Yeah. Yeah, so she's excellent. And obviously, as I said, there's a great supporting cast of like other teen characters, they've all got their own like problems going on, which is why as well, it does feel very ensemble, like we're gonna get to maybe know some of them a bit more in a second season. I think it's really good. And dude, I the buzz i felt not not the same as episode five of Heated Rivalry is certainly not the same. Wow, But I did feel alive for the first time in a while. Oh okay, and that's all I want is to feel as a first kiss. And I'm not going to say between who because of the fake love triangle allocations. They're sitting opposite each other on the floor, guys, Tina's if you're just listening to this, you know, watching on video, Tina's got her hands up. They're sitting on opposite sides floor like, facing each other, and one of them he like grabs her legs and like slides her closer to him, and then they share a hug for a reason that's plot related, and like he hugs her really tightly, and then they have their first kiss, and then she's like, wait, that was great, Oh my god. And he goes to do it again and he gets his he gets his little hand and he like grabs her chin and he pulls your hand motions right now, I actually can't look at you. It's crazy. I feel like it is so good. I feel like I just stopped your own personal fans crazy, like a teen drama first kiss. It's like, bz okay. So good. That's all I want, because that's why I feel like to be missing from teen dramas. I know people got that from off campus. I personally didn't, and a lot of the teen shows have come out. I just I want to feel giddy. You feel giddy, but you still also feel sad, but then you feel giddy again. And the good is that there's a lot of giddiness between a lot of different characters. And I also think like I saw the actors to talking about that scene on the floor, and they reacted the way I reacted, because that wasn't scripted, and I think on the day I've seen them say that, like the I think it was Megan Park was like, why don't you do this and they both went, oh my god, and I was like, yeah, it played off on screen. Wow, so good, just so like sweet and romantic. Some of it you're not like, this is so sexy, except maybe the youthah, but you're like, oh my god, this is so cute and romantic, and I love it. I love love Team Love, teen Love, mostly Team Love. I said, Team Love. Okay, So stelling point on Prime Video, Well, we just know that's the show of the moment, so we wanted to make sure that you guys were up to date because that's what we do here, and hopefully it's sort of like setting the bath where teen shows should be. I think it is a much higher caliber than some of the shows we have seen recently. Yes, well, speaking of romance and things that will hopefully make us skiddy, romance stilled episode. Hell, this is what we like to talk about, so they said, Team Love, I'd like to talk about people kissing and nothing else. The new roum com One Night Only, which we have talked about on the bill since the very first trailer was released and and I watched the trailer and since then it has been, I think affectionately labeled the Sex Purge movie is what people have been calling it. There's been so much buzz around it. It's finally out in Australia this week and you interview the two lead stars of the movie, and I was devastated I didn't get to because it was meant to be you, but due to fate, I stepped in. Well yeah, fate and once again quit me me having to go and look after nieces and nephews. Honestly, freaking Mary Poppin's over here. So yes, at one am on a Saturday evening. Okay that bet I wasn't jealous of. Yeah, yeah, I did hop on a little zoom call with Callum Turner and Monica Barbara the movie Yeah, one night only, So I went to go see it a couple of days before, and then I was just really excited after seeing it to get to talk to them because I did think that, I mean, she is incredible and he's great too. You could be talking about Calum Turner and Monica Barbarro or Callum Turner and his wife Dulie bar That's what people say. She's this and he's great too. Yeah, he's like good photo. She looks incredible and he's there too, And I actually think he would be very on board with that. And I'm sure he's fine. He's a good fanboy. Yeah. So I did sit and like this is a problem with like the Inner West housing system. Not really anyone who could control this. But it was freezing and I was sitting in like thermal pants, a hot water bottle, a blanket, and I had like tea and had all this stuff like going because I was like, it's freaking one am and I'm breathing my mind. Yeah, so that's like you don't want to be shivering. No, Well, that's the unglamorous part of this job that I think people don't see that much is sometimes they see us getting to like like the slubs come into Australia and we get to go and sit with them in a fancy hotel room and get filmed and have a little chat. Sometimes we get flow into glamorous cities across the world in first class and we get to chat to them. And sometimes you have to set up a makeshift. I've tied a lamp to my roof. I don't all crazy. You've to set up a makeshift studio in your own apartment in the early hours of the morning, and you have to I the stay up all night, which I prefer to do because you sleep waiting for your arm to go off knowing, or you've got to wake up at like three am, do a full face of makeup, and then I don't know what you do, but I personally always put a blazer over my pajamas. Ye. Yeah, you only see the top bit, so I usually just keep my pajamas on. I pack on the makeup, I push all my hair forwards. I don't do the back because you're in the front, right, and I just put blazers a blazer on over whatever pajamas I'm wearing, yeah, okay, and then I movie start like a jaunty headband. I would never wear a headband in real life, but I think just on the call sometimes interesting talking to movie stars is the one moment you choose to wear a headband, just like a cool one. Though Okay, I don't know. Don't think I was saying a cool headband, but sure, all right, sweet rude, so you talked to them in my headband. I did no, I didn't wear it for this one. I logged on. I sat there for an hour. Internet worked perfectly fine. Everything was chill. And I think we've said this before, but you kind of sit in like the Zoom waiting room with other journalists and you just sit around and then suddenly they're like, all right, Tina, you're up one minute's notice, and you're like, yeah, when you've been sitting there for so long, and all of a sudden like that, you suddenly I have to speak, and you've not spoken from there enough, and suddenly these famous faces just pop up. And it's not intimate because like they're always sitting in a studio and they've got like a professional lighting and sound. But then you have celebs who are like in the living room with you. And sometimes now I do it against a blank wall in my apartment with a tree, like a plant in the background, a tree. I don't have a tree in my apartment. I have a plant, but I used to not think of that when I first started doing it, because who thinks of that? And so I just had my whole apartment on display. So I'd have people like like Jennifer Hudson is like, wow, what's on your Barckhart? Wow, that's crazy, or like your celebs being like looking at stuff in your apartment. It's so weirdly intimate. It's very strange. I don't have a blank wall to do it against. So mine's like there's my bookcase. No bookcase is good, and also my couch and also my door because it all fits in one shot because it's an apartment. But yes, I loved onto the zoom and then they appeared. And then the first thing that Callantona did was go, oh, can I just say mom but me? And I was like, park me something that Unfortunately we've covered this on the podcast and many a time, because yes, the name Muma mea for international celebs. I've said to prs so many times I need an extra one to two minutes at the start for them to like just ingest that name. That doesn't count for my time because there's so many questions about it. They want to say it back to you a few times, yeah, and let us know it for yet my infamous Patrick Dempsey story where he sung the entire Oba song Mama Me and to me every verse. Oh well, don't worry, I brought that up for some reason because what calm Turner goes mam mummy and then like I went and then Monica Babarro turned to him and was like, she has five minutes. She doesn't have time for this, and I was like, that's so true. Want to keep a borrow? So right, what a lovely thing to think of you, And then they were both like laughing, but he was like, you can't, You've got to say it, but like he's trying to include me in the conversation. Little do I know, I've just frozen on the zoom. I have no concept of the fact that I've frozen in the ugliest mid talking face you've ever seen until I got sent back both ab our footage. But so I am like ha ha yeah. But then I think due to the lag, they think I'm not engaging with this joke, but I was because they kept laughing and staring, so I thought they were joking still about this, but no, they're laughing because I'm frozen. But they've also just been laughing about Mamma Mia. So I was like, oh, no, it's okay, and Monica was like, no, no, this is so silly, and he said it again. He's like, Mamma Mia. We went again, and he went again for the joke, was like, how could you not do it? And I was like ha ha yeah, and like jokingly, I don't know why I didn't just say anyway. I was like, oh yeah, like Patrick Dempsey once sang the whole song to my boss, so I'm used to it. Shut up, no, shut up is what I think of what I think back on all my interviews and things. But honestly, I think they and also I'm still frozen when all of that happened. So they made me say it, but they got two of the nicest celebs to do that around. I never met Calm Turner, but he seems lovely say that he was nice. Yeah. I have met Monica Babaru. She would never remember this. She and I sat together or to her shoulder for like six hours. It's in a tent on a blueberry farm in Canada.
Speaker 2: Once.
Speaker 1: Maybe she would remember that. She would remember the time. She just wouldn't remember me. It was her first. It was that TV show Unreal. She was in the second season Love that show and I went over to do a set visit and it was so sweet because she wasn't working that I remember her so vividly because she actually thinks she'd remember that. She was in the tent with us all day watching filming, and it wasn't her filming day, but she didn't know anyone. She had nowhere else to go, so she would come to the set and watch because she was trying to learn to be a better actor. Isn't the sweetest. And she was asking questions, She was asking questions, and she had a little like a film camera that she was walking around taking photos so that she would remember it. And she was talking about living in this tiny little part in the city and she wanted to be near the water, but she couldn't afford, like literally, Like she was so nice, and she was just like this young aspiring actress trying to like make her way on her first big role, who came and sat in the tent on the blueberry farm because she didn't know where else to go for the day. And I thought when I saw her walking the red carpet the Oscars when she was nominated, I was like, Wow, she did it, my friend. She in fine, you had a nice experience. I'm sure you did too. I'm just saying she's I'm sure she's retained that loveliness. She was lovely. However, yes, I did freeze. So then I sat at home wondering why the two famous people were laughing at me in a really uncomfortable way for a while. And then I just carried on and asked my questions. And then I realized because they reacted way later after what i'd said when I like that, oh I'm frozen, and they don't know what I'm saying. But the thing is doing zoom interviews. I'm sure. I'm sure they're used to it. So when you got into interview like that went well, right, like how did we start off from there? I just asked my first question as quickly as I could, because I was like, well, they're not going to hear me anyway, so I better get it out really quickly. Okay, before we play the interview for the spillers and myself, because I haven't seen the full thing yet, can you give us a little, just a little idea of what the movie is about. Yes, So it's a high concept rom com, which just means like suspended disbelief. So it's a bit like fifty First Dates thirteen going on thirty and like Palm Springs where you're just like something weird's happening, but otherwise the central theme is so in this case, Monica Babaro stars as Ali, who is like an aspiring singer and she sings jingles oh sure, which is actually one of the best parts of the movie, which I can say because this has already come out in America and reviews are lifted.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So she sings jingles that are basically like medicinal songs, but in like it'll be like Sarah Burrella's Brave, but instead she's singing about like a medication. Oh you know, those weird jingles that play. So that's her job and she hates it. And they wrote that specifically because she's a singer in real life and they just wanted her to sing in this movie and sing a lot of really weird shit. Callum Turner stars as Owen. He owns a pizza shop and basically they're both single. They're both in New York and in this version of the world, premarital sex is illegal. We don't know why going into the movie, other than that a mandate was passed that you can't have sex unless you're married, and you know what, I've seen some people saying like, oh, that's so unbelievable, but given the way the world is going, actually it's fine. Yeah, I actually do believe that that is not comple letely off the cards the next couple of years, if things keep going the way they are in America. Yeah, And I do really love like it's a bit ridiculous. I love a ridiculous plot for a wrong com bring those back, I say, But it doesn't feel that crazy when you're watching it, like it's all explained in the film. So I think a lot of people have a lot of questions and will gluck. The director is like, just go watch the film and it'll answer them. And I think that that's such a big part of the trailer and the premise and everything that you go in, like that's not a surprise where you have to grapple with that, I'm assuming at the top of the movie, because you go in knowing that's what the premise is. Yes, And it starts off it tells you on screen a bit of like what's gone on before, and it just generally unfolds through like things you see in the background, all like bits that are explained for like how it all works, but they both basically find themselves single on this one night of the year, and single people can have sex, and they keep running into each other over the course of the evening while I guess no spoilies trying to have some fun. So obviously we know we don't get very long whenever we've got talent over zoom. So the two things that I really just wanted to ask them about were one the fact that I thought they had incredible chemistry on screen, and what it was like to start opposite each other in rom com leading roles. Even though it's a bit wacky, there are a lot of classic tempoles of like a regular rom com in there, and I just wanted to know what it was like to work with one another. And the very obvious question, but the one you've got to ask is like this movie has basically got horror undertones. We've all been joking about it being called the Sexy Purge, And I wanted to know what would drive you to do a movie with such a unique script like that, even though it's really fun. What makes you go like I have to be a part of this story. So here is what they said.
Speaker 3: Mama Mia, Mama.
Speaker 2: Mia, do you have FiOS the whole.
Speaker 3: Song, and I have the dancement. I mean, it's there, it's right there. You have to you have to go for it. I just loved going to work every single day and getting to work with Monica and just the life force that she brings to her characters. She elevates it off the page and makes it real and every moment, and we created this real, nice bond that was safe and allowed us to full on our face over and over and over again until we would get it right. And it was just such a safe environment that was completely exhilarating. And not only Monica, but Will also provides that and the three of us together just just had a real brilliant ride creatively.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: Phenomenal experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean all the same, I.
Speaker 2: Completely echo those sentiments. But I think Callum has a great way of being both like taking the work seriously and also not taking himself too seriously and just being willing to like play and have fun and take risks. And I trusted him implicitly before we started, just because I knew his work and I knew he was so good, but then to get to see that he also wanted to just like play and fly free and like try things comedically and take risks. That just creates such a great environment for everyone to do the same, for Will to take risks, for me, for you know, the rest of our cast.
Speaker 1: Like it just it just felt.
Speaker 2: Very free and fun and you know, a lot of things worked really well and a lot of things didn't work. And when something doesn't work, to try to like get back on top and try something that does, like you know, it takes a lot of safety, and it takes.
Speaker 1: A lot of.
Speaker 2: I don't know, trust, Yeah, a lot of trust and like and like a friendliness, you know, like a kind of it just it really helps when the dynamic on set is just so positive and like yeah, kind of comfortable and.
Speaker 3: Kind of is that the way that we worked. We would allow each other that freedom and then the sparks would fly and that's what we were looking for, Yeah, in that in that relationship.
Speaker 1: I mean, I love I love that concept. I think it's like.
Speaker 2: Immediately I was like what would I do in that situation? Or like what what what else does this mean? And it just it does it grabs you right away and you just start you can even like scoff at it at first and be like, oh, what a you know, silly idea, and.
Speaker 1: Yet I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think I think it's also interesting to watch people navigate falling in love and like finding their freedoms in a world where they feel like there is a government they don't agree with or like, you know, like like that there is this sort of there are these like political undertones, and yet the at the heart of it, people are just looking for love and connection. And I think that that's very relatable at any chapter in history. And so I think that there's kind of a Catharsis to that kind of built into this like oppressive mandate kind of a thing.
Speaker 3: And for me, it's always like the director first, you know, director before script, and Will sent me the script as I met him, and I was just really excited at the possibility of working with him and going on the journey with him, because as far as I'm concerned, he's the rom com king. You know, it's just like delivers these movies that we all love and can watch over and over and over again. So to be part of his filmography was really an exciting pol.
Speaker 2: He is a great way of like giving you goosebumps as an audience, member, Like in those he just like grabs you and yeah, you go like you just immediately fall in love with everyone who puts on screen and so lucky.
Speaker 1: As interesting cow, I'm saying director over script because that's a dicey play friend if the script is really bad. But then so you can have a great script in the movie is terrible if it's not directed well. And the way it's like editing, as we know, editing makes or breaks a movie as well. And I do really love will Glock. So he's done like easy a friends with benefits obviously anyone but you and I do really like his movies. They're very fun along with just being a rom com, like he does have a lot more humor to them than a lot of Yeah, he knows how to do a fast paced rom com with like humor and like really move the story along, which again a lot of rom coms have a good premise and they fall on their face when you actually watch them. So that's interesting. They do sound very cute together, but I love that, Like usually we have a rom com like this with like two big celebs, people are sort of being like, oh, did they fight on set or do they love each other? Were they hooking up, and I love with this one. It's just been like they're so cute together, these two friends making the movie. And I think one is because obviously Kalum is married to dou A Lipa, and we've had a whole year of their very extravagant, romantic wedding celebrations. But we've also watched Monica as she's become this big movie star of obviously being like top Gun Maverick and like Oscar nominid actress and all these things, and now she's in this rom com. Alongside that, we've watched her fall in love with Andrew Garfield and they're so crazy in love with each other, and they're so private, but they can't help but like hold hands going into the tennis, or like hug on a red carpet and stuff. And so I think, like, I love that no one even entertained the idea of fighting all lovers. They were just like, these are two best friends and we love them, not even giving best friend. It's like two colleagues. Yeah, yeah, that's you're right. That's been more Adam coworkers who've been thrown together. Yeah, you're right. Now they seem cute and stuff. But yeah, like the vibes and in all the junket clips I've seen, like, well, they seem like they had a great time. Like it's it's not like often you see these rom com junket clips and they're really fun. Yeah, they don't feel that way. Yeah that's interesting. Yeah, yeah, best friends is probably not the word to use, you, right, like Palli colleagues who potentially have not spoken since they wrapped and now they're like it's like you see a colleague again. You come back and like hey, here we are and that. Yeah, but I do think like it's obviously you guys are going to talk abut later in the week. So I can't say too much about the movie. But there's like a lot of physical comedy in this film. So it was interesting how much they spoke about like feeling safe and trying things. And it makes a lot of sense to think a lot of that would have been improvised because there's weird Obviously, this movie has like lots of background stuff with people having sex, but it's also like they're like physically fighting to get a condom at one point, like he lowers her into a sewer to pick something up, like there's a lot of very physical comedy in this movie, and that's what good rom comes are made of. Yeah, and like it's very fun in that sense, and Estey him has done the soundtrack, so honestly, that's one of the best things about this movie. Its incredible. Okay, one night only. It's at Cinema's Illustrated this Thursday. Correct, I am seeing it tonight and premiere and little Callum turn On will be there. Maybe as he gets on stage to announce his new rom comment like chat about it, I'll just stand up and scream, I loved you in eternity. You were great, and then I'll get removed and there will be no weekend Watch. Thank you so much for listening to this field today. We will be back in your feed Brandon early tomorrow morning with Morning Tea hosted by Ash London. And if you would like to test your knowledge about just how good of a spiller you are, you can take the Spill Quiz. We will make sure that it is linked in our shows. Bye bye,