Speaker 1: The inner criticism that you have to endure day in day out, that inner bully that's just living rent and free in your mind. It takes such a huge toll. So it's no perfectionism. Yeah, it's harmful, not harmless.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm a shiny Dante and this is but are you happy? Perfectionism is one of those words we throw around a lot. We tend to picture someone who's just really driven, really organized, and maybe a bit impressive, but that's not quite the full story. Perfectionism is something much deeper and much tougher to live with. It's a multi dimensional personality style where you set standards that are often unrealistic, sometimes impossible, and tie your self worth tightly to how well you can meet them. And when you don't, the self criticism can be relentless, so it's not just about wanting to do well, and mistakes don't just feel uncomfortable, they can feel like personal failure. And to unpack all of this, I'm joined by Anita Shimans, a clinical psychologist at in Light Psychology here in Sydney and someone who works closely with people navigating perfectionism every day. In this conversation, we get into what Perfectionism actually is beyond the buzzword, the beliefs that keep people stuck in it, and how it shows up in real life, from work to relationships to the way we talk to ourselves, and importantly, we talk about what helps how to reframe mistakes, loosen those rigid standards, and build goals that are actually sustainable. It's thoughtful, it's practical. It might just change the way you see yourself. Here's our conversation. Hi, Anita, thank you so much for joining us for this conversation. I am very excited to unpack this topic, so am I Thanks for having me. You know, it's funny because it is a very latable topic, and I kind of just want to start off there, like what exactly is perfectionism from a psychological perspective, and how do you distinguish between the healthy striving for excellence and the more harmful kind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's such a good question because we use perfectionism in everyday language. Is something that's actually quite good, you know, something that helps to achieve things. But from a psychological perspective, it's kind of a different thing. So healthy striving and striving for excellence is a great thing, right, Getting good achievements and high standards, But perfectionism is more about when there's such a deep, underlying fear of failure and not being good enough. So the motivation is completely different. It's about trying to not feel less than and so there's a huge amount of pressure. So it's actually not a very positive thing internally at all.
Speaker 2: So it's like, is perfectionism Is it kind of essentially like it's a behavior we do to like stay safe or like if you had to put a definition.
Speaker 1: To it, Yeah, that's a really good description. It is kind of a strategy that develops because there's an underlying sense of my worth is very much tied to my performance. And so if my whole sense of worth and achievement identity is attached to what I do, then I better do that perfectly because otherwise I'm a failure. And so yeah, it becomes a strategy to deal with this underlying sense of I'm just not enough.
Speaker 2: Because like I'm sure people have clicked into this episode obviously might be relating to perfectionism in some way. Can you share some common signs that someone might be struggling with perfectionism without realizing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good one. Because we think about perfectionism as like they've nailed it, they're on top of everyday detail. Sometimes it can look like that, and usually there's a lot of over preparation and lots of time and energy that's gone into what you can see on the outside. It might look effortless from the outside, but it was not getting there. But it can also finally look really different. So you can see people from the outside feel like they're not doing much at all, and they're sort of maybe even seem lazy, or they seem like they're, yeah, just not achieving much. But actually it's the same underlying mechanism. It's just that that fear is so paralyzing, and the fear of trying and then not being enough is so scary that it's it keeps you entirely stuck. So from the outside it might look like on the one hand, achieving everything or achieving nothing, but the underlying mechanism is the same.
Speaker 2: So I know, like we've spoken a bit about perfectionism, and you know, it can sound like this really generic term, like do you feel like there's different types of perfectionism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good point. There are heward and fled to researchers that kind of came up with distinguishing between three types. The one that we talk about most often is the kind of the internalized perfectionism or the self directed perfectionism, so that I really feel that my worth is very strongly linked to my performance, and there's a deep underlying fear of failure and a deep underlying fear of not being good enough, and so I have to try and strive and strive to you know, sort of fix that perceived flow. So that's what we often talk about when we think about perfectionism. But there are also two other kind of types. One is more directed at others. So it might be a really kind of critical parent, for instance, who expects their child to be perfect, or it might be someone in a relationship who doesn't leave a lot of room for mistakes from their partners and kind of expect to nail it in every area at all times. And you can see how those might create different types of issues. And then a third type would be where it's what we call socially prescribed perfectionism. So when working with teenagers, how they're so aware they might not even have that internal pressure as much, but they feel like it's really put on them from outside. So you have to get perfect, you know, perfect or on HC so that you can get into your desired university program. And also the parents are expecting this. And then also if you fail as one thing, then your whole life trajectories, you know off. So yeah, it's that kind of external pressure that's being placed on you. Sometimes these all come together, so you might have all three of them, or there might be some that are a little bit more prevalent prevalent than others. So also with the socially prescribed, it might be that I just feel like I need to keep up appearances so that I appear perfect. So social media again comes into play there where maybe otherwise I'm okay to you know, to sort of be in my track pants and you know, my house looks a mess. But then I'm going to because I feel like I'm going to be charged. I don't have that internal pressure, but I have that external pressure to make things look perfect.
Speaker 2: I think it's really cool that you're bringing awareness to this because it's so true. There's like that classic archetype of the perfectionists, the over chiever getting out there doing it perfectly, and then it's great to shine a light on that kind of lazy perfectionist archetype where that the same stuff is happening below the surface, which you know it's hard because you can't tell right it's so invisible.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly, And then that kind of invites the very criticism that keeps the perfectionism going. So why can't you just get started? Why can't you just do this thing internally and externally? Those sorts of pressures kind of layer on top and somebody says, I'm a procrastinator. We kind of think about that as being lazy and they can't really get their stuff together, but actually they probably are experiencing a lot of inner turmoil and that's where the stockness comes from.
Speaker 3: So why do we want to be perfect?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Where where does it all come from?
Speaker 1: With perfectionism, I would say the nature element is that somebody might be born with a bit more a higher level of conscientiousness and attention to detail and sensitivity. But with perfectionism there is a huge nurture element, So a huge element of how we're brought up, how we're parented, what environment we're born into that can either make us more likely or less likely to be perfectionistic.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because like I'm thinking about I mean, it's so funny because I feel like I've got this inner reflection process going on of like the times when I was younger, or even when I think about schools. Right, Like it perpetuates this idea of perfectionism because it's like you get rewarded if your uniform's perfect, and you know you're doing amazing at school, at sport, and it's a lot and I feel like, I know, for me, we're turning this into a therapy session. But like I did feel like I needed to be perfect because the outside world rewards that.
Speaker 3: I want to feel safe, I want to belong.
Speaker 1: Indeed, you raise a really good point that it's not just you know, an internal process or even within family, it's the whole society is set up to really kind of reward very very high standards and linking performance to work. So, I mean, what's my second question to your first question is what's your name? And second question will be what do you do try? So it's so closely linked to performance. And then in kind of high achieving areas or affluent areas where private schools and so on, literally everything is geared to perfection really, so, like you said, uniforms, performance, every metric kind of gears to having to be a certain way.
Speaker 2: I was listening to a podcast recently and a woman was kind of sharing about her experiences with perfectionism, and she was talking about when she grew up, she felt like her mum would always criticize her when she made a mistake, so she felt like she needed to be that good girl archetype. So my question is what kind of like long term impacts does this have on someone.
Speaker 1: These things developed really early on, and then the pressures might be gone, so she might not have somebody in her life anymore. That is setting really high expectations on her, expectations for her not to make any mistakes. But these patterns are so entrenched now that she approaches life from this perspective of I have to be a very particular way. There's not a lot of regal room, and outside of that, I lose acceptance or even I lose worth. And so if you know parents who have quite a rigid expectation of how a child has to be, that is really internalized and then perpetuated throughout life. So it is difficult to kind of relinquish and separate worth from achievement. And I think you also touch on maybe like a gendered element. There is a little bit of that as well. Research shows that women are a little bit more likely to develop perfectionism than men. I think it is evening out a little bit because there are lots of pressures put on men these days as well. There's more body dysmorphee and in men as well. But traditionally, you know, women were expected to be a very particular way, and if you make certain mistakes, you lose your worth and you'll place in society, and so it created a lot of internal pressure. And now as well, you know, we have to be perfect at our careers. We also have to be perfect, we have to have kids, and then when we do have kids, has to be perfect. So there's a lot of pressure and there's a lot of visibility as well of comparison in all these areas. So yeah, there is a bit of a gender element there too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm glad we're talking about the gender element too, because I feel like, you know, a lot of my background's been working with teenage girls and young women for the last ten years, and I feel like it's exactly. We're having the same conversations. It's not like, oh, I need to be perfect at just school, I need to have the perfect lifestyle. You know, we talk about social media, they compare themselves. They know that it's not a real reality, but we still feel and they still feel this expectation to fit into this perfect narrative that is just not achievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, because we might know logically that that's curated, we're still bombarded with this you know, perfectly seeming life of others twenty four seven or as often as we're scrowling on Instagram, and so perfectionism might have, you know, historically been more in the realm of academia work, but it's now infiltrated all these other areas of life as well, like, for instance, yeah, looks or what my home's supposed to look like, or what relationships are supposed to be. So yeah, it's now there's nothing that's safe from having that kind of perfectionism pressure on it now with social media.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, I feel like social media has just amplified all the problems that we already we have to think.
Speaker 1: So yeah, which is so much a good idea, but no, Yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Literally, it's like amplifying the wrong things. Yeah, yeah, I agreed with perfectionism. And it's really great because I love that you're starting to bring some examples to this conversation around what it can look like. Just anyone that's tuning in that is wondering, Oh my gosh, am I perfectionists? Like what how does it show up in let's say, relationships or at work or even parenting.
Speaker 1: We almost have to unpack with the different types because it can look really different. So let's start with the kind of internal perfectionism how that shows up in relationships. So if I can't show you any of my flaws, because I feel like if I show you any of my imperfections you will immediately cost me as unworthy, then I'm going to be quite guarded and I'm not going to really show you a lot of what I feel like our flaws. Are you going to feel particularly connected to me when you see only a sliver of who I am?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Definitely not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, i'd be on God be like, yeah, I'm not sure about this moment?
Speaker 1: Very authentic? Yeah, exactly. So it's a real barrier to connection because vulnerability is about flaws, is about being honest about things that you know, I'm scared about and so on, and when I protect all of that because I'm so fearful of showing that side, Yeah, it's going to be a barrier to us feeling connected. Whereas, for instance, with the other directed perfectionism, if I'm placing unrelenting standards on you at all times and kind of you know, criticizing you when you fall short, how are you going to feel towards me?
Speaker 2: I will feel quite trapped. I'll be like, oh wow, anything that I do, I'm getting it wrong. And yeah, I would feel quite disempowered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. So in either case, it's it's a real barrier to connection socially prescribed as similar. So if I expect a lot of criticism from you, I'm going to be quite selective with what I show you, and again that's not very authentic and therefore not so good for connection. So that's in the relationship. Well yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: That's really good. Okay, So that's relationship. How about work? How does it look like at work?
Speaker 1: At work, it does really create intense, intense pressure. So it might be that you're just going above and beyond to the point where it's taking such a toll on you that not only your mental health suffers, but eventually even your work suffers. So we know that those high expectations and high standards can kind of get you so far, but then as of a certain point, it actually becomes more of a hindrance than a help. So it can actually really get in the way of you doing work. So if you're going to spend two hours perfecting an email, it's going to you know, create a long to do list of things that you haven't gotten to that day, because you know, you filed the wordings for that long other directed. So if you're if you've got, for instance, people working under you and you're just you know, cracking the whip and you expect perfection, you can have a really disharmonious team and high turnover and things like that. So yeah, it can it can impact work as well.
Speaker 2: More of my conversation with a Nita after this short break, like, what I'm curious about is like what are we getting out of being perfect? You know, because there's so much going on.
Speaker 1: It's difficult to let go of the perfectionism if I feel that's the only thing that's keeping me safe, that makes things predictable and that keeps me accepted by others. If I attach all of that to perfectionism, I'm going to be really reluctant to let that go.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When we do, though, we learn that a lot of different things happen than we would expect, so we actually start becoming more creative, more free, more authentic, and lots of positive things kind of or knock on effects of that. So yeah, holding on to it in reality doesn't give us a whole lot of positives. But first we need to try and start disentangling how much meaning we're attaching to perfectionism before we can let it go.
Speaker 2: I think it's really interesting because I think the reality of the world that we're in there is so much uncertainty, like we don't know what's going to happen tomorrow, like, and I think I know for me, it's this constant battle because I'm like, oh, I need to learn to let go, but this is what feels safe and comfy, and I know this so well. But I think it's just it's a constant letting go, which is hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you raise such an important point with so much uncertainty, you know, COVID definitely brought that up. Yeah, now you know wars and who knows, the world orders changing and it's scary, and so when there's a lot of unpredictability, we can kind of, you know, find escape in trying to control what we can control very perfectly. And so that kind of links to another factor in childhood that can really create a vulnerability to become a perfectionist, which is trauma and chaotic upbringing. So when there's chaos around us and when there's unpredictability, we're going to try and perfect the little bit that we have some control over.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, I know that you were starting to unpack this a little bit. But what are the pros and cons of remaining a perfectionist?
Speaker 1: I would say the pros are really limited of remaining a perfectionist because of just because of the really intense toll it takes and it's not a sustainable strategy. And so the pros could be that, you know, there is a level of drive that it creates. The myth is that we need that to have that drive. We can replace that with value driven drive and suddenly becomes the journey becomes enjoyable instead of kind of I have this feared outcome that I need to get to. So yeah, the pros and cons. The cons are outweigh the pros by a lot, and it's arguable if there are even any prose to holding onto that kind of extreme perfectionism. Yeah, and the cons are you know, but there's all kinds of cons. But there's serious cons as well, where they can take a big toll on our mental health. There are many mental health disorders that are closely linked to perfectionism. Oh really yeah, yeah, I can take a toll on our physical health as well on our relationships as Yeah, big cost.
Speaker 2: Well what are some of those mental health and physical health? Like what does that look like?
Speaker 1: With mental health conditions? A lot that are associated strongly with perfectionism. So the most common ones are sort of anxiety. You can imagine if I have this massive fear of failure and therefore I need to be perfect, or kind of pressure that create aids. So a lot of anxiety, low mood if I'm constantly feeling not good enough and I feel like I can't ever reach those unrelenting standards because because nobody can, and you're constantly falling short, you can start feeling really more and more reinforced in that belief that you're not enough, so you can really fuel that kind of low sense of self worth and depression. Eating disorders and anorexia is another one that specifically Anorexia's is one that's very closely linked to perfectionism too. You know, there's really rigid standards and very over controlled and it has to be exactly that way. So it does create quite a big vulnerability for other disorders, even OCD. We have to get it just right, and you can't really tolerate a lot of uncertainty and you have to try and get everything under control. OCDS has a strong link to as well, and on an even sad aside, and unfortunately a lot of suicidality as well. Again, I want to flag that with not every perfectionist is any mental health issues, but there are mental health issues that have a link to perfectionism. And yeah, that perfectionism can is a predictor of suicidality apart from the depression and hopelessness. So yeah, especially because if I don't want to show you any weaker, someone likely to seek help.
Speaker 3: No, definitely not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so perfectionists don't often seek help, and so it's sort of that double whammy of first of all the intense pressure and then second of all not allowing myself to reach out and delegate or ask for help. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Does that mean like a lot of the time when clients come to see you in the clinic, it's more of like another issue. They're not coming in for perfectionism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, They're usually coming in for things like I'm just really anxious, or I'm having panic attacks, or I'm stressed at work. But sometimes it's reframed. But then we see that actually there's these unrelenting standards, and yeah, sometimes clients with high perfectionism actually feel real ambivalent about coming into therapy at all because it is kind of having to relinquish a little bit of that control, having to have somebody want to dive underneath and see what's going on underneath. Yeah, and that's really confronting for somebody who wants to appear a certain way. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is it also like is there a lot of shame and embarrassment there too to like not wanting to get that help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, definitely, because if I have to admit that I can't manage it by myself, for instance, it kind of reinforces that deep underlying feeling of not being enough, and that's definitely related or can and be very much related to shame and defectiveness.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I know before you were saying that there's links to mental health, but you also said physical health too.
Speaker 3: Can you share more about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if you've got that constant pressure cooker in you, we know that's associated with high court soul levels. We know that high court sol levels associated with all kinds of physical health conditions. It's got a link there as well. And even you know sexuality, for instance, you need to be in a certain physical state to want to engage in intimacy, so it can take a toll in that regard as well, sexual health, sexual health and intimacy.
Speaker 3: It's like low libido that thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, because I know for me, when I've been really stressed, I noticed my body was screaming at me like I had exma breaking out on my eye lids, like literally peeling. I'm like, oh my god, okay, there's I'm stressed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I.
Speaker 2: Didn't realize because you're so when you're so in it, you don't realize it until the body literally tells you absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So many conditions like you said skin conditions. Also, there's bizarre conditions that are somehow then linked back to stress that is linked back to perfectionism. For instance, you know seizures that nobody can explain, or there's there's lots of physical health conditions as well that have to do with perfectionism somewhere underneath.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm having all of the breakthrough on this episode. I'm like, oh, I'm winking everything back.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, do.
Speaker 2: Perfectionists try new things, because I can imagine there's that feeling of needing to be a beginner again and that fear of failing when that's going to happen when it's new.
Speaker 1: I think you're right. You do lose a lot of openness to new experiences, and you lose a lot of curiosity about new things. Because maybe, in theory, if you could magically get perfectionism away, these would be things that the person would love to engage in. But then the fear of not being good at it, or making fool of oneself or failing at it and having to be confronted with that deep sense of inadequacy is scary. So yeah, often we would then try to avoid it all together, or if we decide to engage in it or have to engage in it to just do the other bit, which is the intense over preparation. Maybe you know, take classes beforehand so that you can you can turn up and seem like you've got it all together. But yeah, it's coming from that sense of fear of failure.
Speaker 2: So last Christmas, I went skiing for the first time, I first ever white Christmas, and I did a ski lesson with my husband. We've never gone skiing before. We're both Sri Lunkan, so like we didn't grow up skiing, And literally we're doing this class and there's all these kids that are underfive there and I'm like, great, this is a really humbling moment for me.
Speaker 3: This is good.
Speaker 2: But then I just couldn't like what was doing the snowplow. Yeah, I couldn't do it.
Speaker 3: And I just got so frustrated.
Speaker 2: I kept falling down and I was so angry that I just didn't want to continue. And it was interesting because I really have to sit with like my inner critic, my inner judgment. I'm like, wow, okay, there's such an uncomfortability with sitting in I'm a beginner again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, it's a great example. I relate to that as well with not with scheme, but exactly exactly where Yeah, you just and it could have been so fun without that evaluation that was placed on top of why aren't you better at this? You should be getting this right? You know, five year olds is getting past you. Can't you do it? Yeah? Yeah, so it's you know, it's it's a bit of a point that perfectionism can suck the joy out of life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny because I was gonna ask, I'm like, do perfectionists experience joy at all?
Speaker 1: At best? I would say perfectionists experienced short term relief. So if you've if you've kind of hit a particular grade that you were working towards, there might be a moment of relief. That's not pure joy though, that's not that's not true contentment because I don't know if you've experienced that before. But then you might have achieved that particular goal and before you've had a chance to kind of revel in it and actually just be proud of yourself, the goalpost has moved and you're back to sort of the next goal already, or you might be on picking. Yeah it was good, but it could have been even better.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're literally inside of my mind right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so it takes it does take the joy away, even in moments where there's supposed to be joy after a success. So yeah, that constant moving of goalposts is exhausting.
Speaker 2: So when it comes to perfectionism, especially when it comes to mainstream media, I feel like it can be painted as this quirk or personality trait, but it's actually a lot more serious than that, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think perfectionism has an undue good rap for like people. You know, how have you ever been advised that if you go into an interview and they ask you for, you know, something that you need to work on, you get to say, oh, just stick perfectionistic sometimes because people say it's like it's kind of a good flaw to have.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's so true.
Speaker 1: And it really undermines, Yeah, what the person is going through, the risks associated with perfectionism, the constant pressure that the person is under, and the never allowing achieving kind of the endpoint because it's a relentless thing. Yeah, and that and also the inner criticism that you have to endure day in day out, that inner bully that's just living rent free in your mind. It takes such a huge toll. So it's no perfectionism. Yeah, it's harmful, not harmless. Yeah.
Speaker 2: After the break, Anita explains why it's hard for perfectionists to break their habits. So for anyone that's been listening on and they're probably realizing, oh my gosh, okay, I am a perfectionist. What are some practical strategies that they can use.
Speaker 1: I always like to think about it coming from two levels. So I think because at the core of it is some deep, underlying, long standing stuff and that sort of thing, there's no quick fix for it. I think, you know, therapy can be a good place to unpack where is that all coming from? That deep sense of defectiveness or that my worth is very contingent on my performance, And can we start working on that deeper level as well, because then that will trickle up into our everyday behaviors. That being said, there's also some practical things that we can in the here and now that then help to kind of trickle down and correct some of these deeper underlying beliefs. So one thing that we can do is make mistakes on purpose and testing out whether our belief that I need to be perfect in order to be accepted, or I need to be perfect in order to keep my job, or whatever the beliefs might be that are driving the perfectionism. Can we almost be curious and put it to the test. Yeah, so it's what we would call exposure therapy, and that's a big, big part of debunking some of these firmly held beliefs. And so, yeah, can we make some for instance, write the wrong email to the wrong person, for instance, or put a mistake in in a presentation on purpose, and then get to experience that instead of some catastrophe happening or combusting into their air. Actually it's quite survivable, and it doesn't kind of change everybody's opinion of me as a person, and it doesn't have a lot to do with my inherent worth. So when we can kind of test out those beliefs by doing the opposite of what we would usually do, so reduce preparation, put in mistakes, and see what actually happens, and see that what actually happens is first of all, no catastrophe happening, and sometimes even positive things coming from it, like I actually had way more fun than I usually do, or I was able to have a really good chat with somebody that I usually wouldn't because I'm so in my head. It starts, it starts as debunk that I need perfectionism to stay safe and to do well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, I really like that strategy. Yeah, yeah, that's a really good practical one.
Speaker 1: You know, if you have a job interview and not going to be like you choose that moment to test out saying all the wrong things just for the experiment. Maybe you start with something that feels a little bit lower stakes, like a mistake in an email, and then maybe you can build up on that and almost just be that curious kind of experiment to say, right, this is what I will happen from my perfectionistic lens. These are all the things that I think will go wrong and how I will feel about myself and what will be the consequences. Do the experiment, and then take stock of what actually happened. Usually there's a big difference, and that difference can help to start updating the beliefs, which is that we can survive these moments of imperfection and distress, so when something does go wrong, it doesn't unravel who we are as a person. It doesn't undo our lives to the degree that we expected it to, and I was able to kind of come through it and survive it. And so when I learned that over and over that I can withstand that feeling of imperfection, it makes me more resilient to it and it takes away the power of that fears. So it's actually really important to sometimes fail so we can experience that we can survive even that, Because you're right, it's two things. One thing is much less likely to happen and play out in the way that we pain out in our heads. But then it's also awesome to experience when it doesn't actually play out the way that we had it in our heads and we survived anyways.
Speaker 3: That's so cool. I really love that.
Speaker 2: So I know that you were talking about kind of like those strategies up here, but you were kind of saying, as well, there's some deeper there's deeper layers there, and is that kind of the work that you do in the therapy room, So like, what kind of evidence based therapies do you use when clients come to see you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love schema therapy. Yeah, I don't know if you've heard of therapy yeah, So it's about kind of seeing what unmet needs did we have as children, and that's usually a lot to do with our upbringing. It's not par and bashing, but it's just understanding where that came from, that our needs were not met, our need for secure attachment and our need for feeling worthwhile and adequate independence. And then once we realize what needs were not met in early childhood, that then informs what kind of schemers, which is sort of belief systems about how I operate in the world, what other people are like, my worth and when we talk about perfectionism, perhaps a schema that forms this kind of I'm not that lovable, I'm not that worthwhile, or this I'm a little bit defective, And then we develop coping strategies to try and deal with these beliefs and perfectionism. We've talked about it being a strategy. Can be a strategy to deal with that sense of defectiveness. But if we can correct and update that sense of defectiveness, we don't need to rely on that strategy so much anymore. But also is a cool thing in schema therapy, so that you can do a lot of inner critic work. So we almost we think about, is that in a critic, does it have more like a demanding quality where it's like, no, you've got to do well and so on, In which case, so can we start negotiating with it and setting some limits as to what it's demanding of us? Or does it even have a really kind of bullying punitive tone And if it is, you know, just an inner bully making your life hell, can we actually start banishing it all together? And will use chairs to work with that will put the inn a critic on a chair and then put the chair outside because it's got no room here. And once that's gone and that kind of really mean part is put outside, we can see what's left and can we heal those parts that never felt good enough?
Speaker 2: And it sounds like as well, there's a lot of reframing and shifting like thoughts and beliefs, but also just that in a dialogue, so it's like, where does self compassion come into all of this as well?
Speaker 1: It's a great thing that you raise. So in Skimma therapy would call us the healthy adult, and the healthy adult is kind of to replace that in a critic, and it is that much more balanced kind compassionate in a voice. Imagine how different your life can be when you start replacing that harsh bullying or demanding in a critic with that more compassionate, kind, healthy adult.
Speaker 2: So, how do you support someone in your life that may be a bit of a perfectionist and you're wanting to support them, but you don't want to come across as dismissive.
Speaker 1: It's such a good question. I think there's a few ways that have come to mind of how we can support someone in our lives that we want to help become a bit less perfectionistic. One thing is by modeling. So if I am showing you that I'm making mistakes left, right and center and it doesn't define my worth, and I'm kind of making you aware that that's another way of living, that can be, you know, an indirect way to kind of show a different path. You can also be quite intentional with how you respond to that person. So if you know that they are very perfectionistic, try and see if you can start rewarding or paying attention to the process rather than the outcome. So maybe you can be like, I feel like today you I really loved how like you know how interested you were in what we were reading, rather than you know, can you perfectly reiterate or regurgitate it, so can you reward process over outcome again to start giving a bit of a different lens. But then also I think the most important bit is can you start being that compassionate voice for them that at the moment feels really hard for them to summon themselves, and then for them they can start internalizing you actually, you know, so often my clients will say, then I heard kind of your voice, you know, being kind to me. Yeah, so you can be that for your for your loved one. If you can be that, show them what compassion can look like, and then over time they can start they've got something to grasp onto because often that feels so out of the realm of possibilities to be kind with yourself that when you have somebody in your life who is very kind to yourself, I think it's it's a really good starting point to internalize it. Thanks. The brain is fluid and can learn new patterns, but it takes some time to override this old pattern that's almost like built up like a highway in your brain, and it's you know, automatic, and you want to try and create a new path. But first you're just like you know, whacking through the.
Speaker 4: Bush, and yeah, exactly, it's going to take some time to create a new path, but to stay at it compassionately, validate the underlying feeling and try and be patient with them, it's going to take a little bit of time.
Speaker 2: Thank you to Anita for joining me on this episode today. You can find links to her work in our show notes. If there's a topic you would like us to discuss, or I guess you think would be a great fit for this podcast, please get in touch with us at podcast at momamea dot com dot au or slid into our dms on Instagram at but Are You Happy?
Speaker 1: Podcast?
Speaker 2: Also, if you haven't already, would love a review on Apple or Spotify. It really helps the show to grow, and of course, if they there's anything in today's episode that has brought up difficult feelings for you, organizations like Lifeline and Beyond Blue are always there for free and confidential support.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: Tune it again next Saturday for another episode of but Are You Happy? Good Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters on which this podcast was recorded