Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Momma Mia out loud. It's what women are actually talking about on Friday, the stead of April. It's Good Friday. And if you're surprised that we are bringing you a full show on Good.
Speaker 2: Friday, because hustlers never quit.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, if you're if you are feeling that this is a holy day, just address your concerns to capitalism. Send your emails of complaint to capitalism. That's what I would like to say.
Speaker 3: I think my nanois you say Good Friday is more important.
Speaker 1: Than Easter Sunday. Yep, it is for some people religiously. The thing I know most about Good Friday from my years of camping and things at Easter, the bottle shops are shut. It's the only day of the year because we're morning Jesus. Is that?
Speaker 3: Howe?
Speaker 1: I know? So happy? Oh no, I was going to say happy Good Friday.
Speaker 2: That's not the correct.
Speaker 1: Happy Easter long weekend if you are having one. Here is what Oh sorry, I'm Hollywayen right. Hello, I'm Claire Stephen and I'm Vernon. We are in public holiday mode, obviously. Here is what made our agenda for today. I'm a nine. Gwin, it's the one. No, you're a ten out of ten. Sweet Claire's a four, Margat Robbie's a seven and a three. Is that correct? It is correct. We're talking about niagrams, why they're so hot right now and whether they're just star signs for the self optimization group.
Speaker 4: Plus everything you shouldn't do an hour before a date.
Speaker 1: I have some very very strong.
Speaker 3: Opinions and our recommendations for your Easter long weekend, what to watch and read.
Speaker 2: But first we need to talk about Easter.
Speaker 3: Treats, because every time I go to the supermarket, I'm aware. I'm like, it's so sad that some people don't know the ranking, Like what's elite and what's not a laite?
Speaker 1: You mean an Easter eggs? Yes, obviously chocolate.
Speaker 3: So I may be thirty five years old, but I better be receiving eggs on some day.
Speaker 1: Who's going to get them for you? Who gets you eggs?
Speaker 2: We are going to mum's house?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, does your mom still buy Easter eggs for you as she should she buys them for children?
Speaker 3: Yes, and I will eat my child exactly exactly, and I reckon she'll do an Easter egg hunt.
Speaker 1: Yes, I will participate and you will win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will win.
Speaker 1: Do people buy you?
Speaker 4: This is quite traumatic to bring up, but I haven't had an I haven't received an Easter egg in the past three years. The year before that, I went over for lunch to mom and dad and I was like, so, where's there is? Do I get an Easter bunny and Easter Egg? And I just saw like the blood terrain from their face and going, oh, we didn't know we were still doing that. And I've been upset ever since. Hasn't been amended thought one.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: When I was a kid, there were some kids at school who got presents at Easter present gifts as if it was Christmas, and I so I was like, that is wild people do that.
Speaker 3: I remember that in primary school, and I remember my mum being horrified by consumerism. But I did think i'd share, you know, just share my knowledge about what the most elite eggs are. I guess you guys can weigh in. You'll be wrong, but the most elite egg for gifting purposes is the big Cadbury crunchy one.
Speaker 1: Dude, it looks like a turd.
Speaker 2: Like looks can me to see it?
Speaker 3: It's thin milk chocolate, and then it's got little bits crunchy, and then it has like mini crunchy eggs inside.
Speaker 2: There are eight. That's a good number to.
Speaker 1: Get eight pieces of disappintment. It's not enough in my opinion at the point. If you're gonna have a big egg, it needs to be full of stuff. You know, Sometimes you buy a big egg and the xmasha and there's nothing inside.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Well I was gonna say that. Sometimes I do the eight mini eggs and then I do put the big hollow egg in the freezer for and that's a lovely experience. Along with the plain Cadbury Dairy milk. Mini eggs I agree are the elite and the mini egg The one where the.
Speaker 1: Blue turns into a purple is the best tasting one. It's all about the.
Speaker 2: Foil, about the foil. That's exactly what I was.
Speaker 3: I don't want to yellow, No, I don't want a lime green, orange, red. No.
Speaker 1: The best eggs are the lint mini eggs, the dark ones, the blue. I'll just take out a home, take it a loan for this. I know. It's cost of living, pressures and everything. Fewer eggs, better quality. I'm going to lint all the way.
Speaker 2: See I have feedback for lint, I do.
Speaker 1: There is no feedback lip.
Speaker 3: The lint Easter Bunny. Yeah, okay, very classic in the gold wrapping with the little red ribbon. It's thick in places you don't expect it to be thick, such as.
Speaker 1: The ears, and.
Speaker 2: It makes me thirsty.
Speaker 1: It makes me thirsty. Chop the milk milk, it.
Speaker 2: Down, silk milk.
Speaker 3: Next here the KitKat chunky egg, the Smarties.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that is. I know about the kid cat little bunny rabbit, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: What they're Sorry, it's KitKat chunky and the smartiest one. But then Nestle and notably, that's not Cadbury Golden Gaytime egg. No, don't be too tricky. You can't be taking those kind of risks. Not a fan of carra milk, Cadbury cream eggs or the ones with caramel inside, although.
Speaker 1: I do I love the Cadbury's cream egg. When I was a child, sometimes my mum, who is busy working mother hashtag, would bring one back from the supermarket for me and my brother, just just a treat, and it would be the most amazing thing ever, she'd like pull it out of her sleeve as if it was. And they are the bomb. I haven't eaten one as an adult, though I have to say they seem a lot. I don't like being surprised by content in my egg.
Speaker 2: Agree.
Speaker 3: I don't like being surprised by the color. That can be quite distressing.
Speaker 1: It's fondant. Yeah, yes, I think I think that's what's inside.
Speaker 3: Exactly, Red Huel of Easter Bunnies. No, no, absolutely ill, But I'm not going to enjoy it.
Speaker 1: See the way it goes in my world. Regular outlouders will know this. I wrote a freaking book about it. But I'm always camping at Easter. I've had I'm camping right now while you're listening to this. I am camping the problems that you have. And all Easter campers know this is we've got we can with a load of kids. You've all got to take your eggs for the Easter hunt. They will melt because it is invariably hot. So you've always got to have an eski that's got ice in it where the eggs will go. But then the water gets in the card board around their eggs breaks down like it's very high maintenance. But I've always believed in quality for me. So little cute lint ones and cheap rubbish at scale for the children. So because the kids only care about how big their egg is, they don't really care about the taste. You just go hardcore cheap chocolate for the children and you keep back the lind Minis for yourself. That's the only way to do it. One year I got Brent to buy the Easter eggs. You won't be surprised to know that he went full cheap chocolate. And I think it was the year that I'd just written some story about some NRL player that was being bad or something, and he got me a big NRL for Easter and all my friends laughed at me. And it tasted awful. It tasted like shame and discippline and wax. Okay. Amy Pohler started this for me, right. I listened to her podcast Good Hang. We've talked about it before, and in almost every single episode she brings up enneagrams. Right does she get the guest to do them before? Well, she always asks them what they are, so she's like, I think they It only works with other people who are into it, which is what leads me to believe that all of Hollywood is into it because they all know because Amy is an eight and which ones that is a challenger, and that is She's made it pretty much her whole personality. And that's because it is her personality, right, it's her any a gram number. And if you don't know what we're talking about, I'm going to give you a quick breakdown. In Hollywood right now, it's very hot. It's on all the self optimization podcasts, but management trainers, leadership coaches, you know those team building exercises you're often asked to do a work. They've been loving the niagram for a long time. If you need any further proof of how hot it is. The other week, in fact, just the other day, I was listening to my friend Gwyneth, who's one just so that you know, and one is for She was interviewing Andrew Huberman, who is like self. You can imagine the excellent bullshit that was on that podcast. It was fabulous, and they were talking about anyagrams and gwyn It says to him do you use them in hiring? And I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Don't say that out loud, babe.
Speaker 1: So there are going to be a few experts who are listening to this show and they're going to hear the way that I describe aneagrams now and they're going to go, Holly, you're wrong. I know there are people who spent their life studying this stuff, but I'm just talking to those amongst us who will either have to do it because we're part of like a team building thing at work and they're making us do it, or we're like feeling bossy and we want to know. Maybe we're eights that's why we're feeling bossy, or we're really curious, maybe we're forced, I don't know whatever. I think that there are reasons why. So we do it in this very basic way, which is you do a quick test on the internet. You are given a whole lot of questions and you have to rank the accuracy of this question about your personality. The kind of questions will be things like, is it important that other people like you? Do you tend to blend your personality based on the people you're with? Do you find it hard to say no? Those kind of things right, And after you've answered those for about fifteen minutes, it spits you out a list of numbers and one of them will be at the top and that is your number, and you are stuck with it. Right, So you two, did you do the test? M did you do the test? What did you find?
Speaker 4: I did do the test because you told me I had to do it, so I did have to do it for work purpose.
Speaker 1: Do you like these kind of things or not? Personality quizzies, Like, it'sn't really that different from those ones I used to do in magazines when you were a kid, and it would be like mostly a's you're excellent, mostly c's you're a punished.
Speaker 4: I was really into it when I was younger because I think that the answer to these personality tests would be like what I would be like when I grew up. And we did like the Mayas Briggs and stuff when I was younger. Now I just feel like there's so many. So the only reason I'm interested in this one is because I feel like it's the big one right now.
Speaker 1: It is there's so many, Like we did love languages, we do it all, and I feel like they're all different types of personality. And to be clear, the reason that managers love to do this and it's one. I went on my first management course like nearly twenty years ago probably, and they made us. The first thing they made us all do is a personality test. I think it was Mayas Briggs, And the reason they like to do it is because it's supposed to teach you about how to get the best out of your people.
Speaker 3: I also think like yes, but I also think with because that's sort of being replaced a bit by the enniogram.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I did a leadership thing maybe five years ago, and we did the enneagram. I also think it's a bit of an easy trick to make you feel seen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because everybody likes to talk about themselves, right, Yeah, anyway back to you, when you get my answers, what did you get? I got a three, which is the achiever, and I'm about to read out the traits of myself, which will I'm sure make everybody not want to do this test. So threes are self assured, attractive.
Speaker 4: And charming, ambitious and energetic, and they can be status conscious and highly driven for advancement.
Speaker 1: That's all true.
Speaker 4: Wait, we are diplomatic and poison but can also be overly concerned with their image and what others think.
Speaker 1: Of them. Now I need to read out the negatives. Like knowing you as I do, as I have in a professional capacity, I for he is, I would say tick tick tick on all those things, thank you so much. Just wait, okay.
Speaker 4: Negatives Fearing failure and humiliation. They can be exploitative and opportunistic and willing to do whatever it takes to preserve the illusion.
Speaker 1: Of their superiority.
Speaker 4: Devious and deceptives so that their mistakes and wrongdoings will not be exposed. Untrustworthy, maliciously betraying or sabotaging people to triumph over them, delusionally jealous of others, become vindictive, attempting to ruin others' happiness, relentless, obsessive about destroying whatever reminds him of their own shortcomings and failures, and it just ends on psychopathic and murder.
Speaker 1: So am, if you are being really honest with yourself, is any of that true? Come on, now, are you a jealous person? Are you a jealous person? Do you sometimes sneakily find a way to make yourself seem more important than you are? Like, come on, I think that can be a bit jealous, But to destroy other people's happiness and then to make it worse, I looked up other celebrities who are also threes, Bill Clinton, Prince William, Arnold Schwarzenegger, O J. Simpson, Oh J. Simpson, Kevin Spacey, dear Rachel Berry from Glee, as as far as I know any Don Draper from mad Men and Lady Gaga. I love this celebrity angle because as if anybody really like Don Draper hot tep not a real person. Yeah, I did one and it was like, Jane Austen is this oh laugh from Frozen? Is that? I'm like, you know, Claire.
Speaker 3: I would just like to point out em that as somebody who has done an enneagram. Of course I did a proper enneagram course of like maybe ten years ago. But I will say what you've just read out. The idea is there's a healthy version of you and an unhealthy version of you.
Speaker 2: So I just want you to know that murder would be.
Speaker 1: That ually oh J. Simpson, though he does bear that out.
Speaker 3: Okay, true, So just make sure things don't go down the toilet for you.
Speaker 2: You might start to murder.
Speaker 1: But again, I'm also attractive and charming. Well those things are true about you. Class Stevens. How did you go.
Speaker 3: So I was a five when I did it professionally a few years ago.
Speaker 2: Because Holly is gonna mock me.
Speaker 1: I am going to mock her. She did the three times to get the numbers she wanted, which I think a lot of people do that.
Speaker 2: So it was a five.
Speaker 1: That's so five of you, five of her. That's exactly it.
Speaker 3: Then I did it again for work like five years ago, and I was still a five. But then when I did it at the crack of dawn this morning as I was half asleep, I was a four and.
Speaker 2: That made me feel weird.
Speaker 1: So what's a five?
Speaker 3: So well, a five is the investigator. No thing wise, So fives are alert, insightful, and curious.
Speaker 2: They are able.
Speaker 1: To thank you so much.
Speaker 3: They are able to concentrate and focus on developing. I mean concentrate and focus is a bit of an issue that I can't do either of those things. But if they were to focus, they would be able to focus on developing complex ideas and skills, the independent, innovative.
Speaker 2: And inventive.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: They can become preoccupied with their thoughts, and.
Speaker 1: That's definitely true. It's such a sagittarius.
Speaker 3: This is where mine goes into M's territory, they become detached, yet high strung and intense. They typically have problems with eccentricity, nihilism, and isolation. Nihilism. Yes, yes, eccentricity. I don't think I'm that eccentric.
Speaker 1: Remember when you remember when you wouldn't wear shoes in the office? Centric, Yeah, that's eccentric. People who want to fit in wear shoes in the office. People who are comfortable a little bit weird, And I don't bring any judgment to that because they're my favorite kind of people are like, who cares if their boss is wearing shoes? That's you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think eccentric people don't know they're eccentric.
Speaker 1: That's good to know.
Speaker 3: So at their best, visionary pioneers, often ahead of their time, they will see the world in an entirely new way.
Speaker 1: Nice. No, she hasn't got to the bad bits yet.
Speaker 2: The bad bits, so okay. The thing I do relate to about.
Speaker 3: It is like information being the primary currency of safety, so you believe that if you just understand how everything works, you will be prepared to handle life. But this is the other bit I do think is very me the relentless pursuit of knowledge is actually about deep insecurities about your ability to function in the world. So fives feel they do not have an ability to do things as well as others, so their identity is built around having ideas as like.
Speaker 2: A fence mechanism.
Speaker 3: So basically, my if mine was going down the murder route, I'd be like a hermit. I'm quite I'd be like really eccentric hermit, like crazy hair like that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: So far, Oh, my friends, this aneogram shit is real. Amy Pohlar is right and Gwyneth is right. These are You're describing yourselves pretty perfectly to me, but really rude.
Speaker 3: I do think it changes over time because both the achiever and the individualists have better social skills than a five. And I think maybe as I've gotten because it's like do you There was something about like do you build relationships with people? Like basically can you network? And my answer five ten years ago would have been no, But my answer now is like, yeah, you're really good at it, but like not in as, but you just do because you've been You're more comfortable because you've been in an industry for longer. So and with yours, I'm a bit like you are that at this point in your life.
Speaker 1: But maybe later I won't murder somewhere exactly. It's interesting, right because I have done this test a few times because I did like my number, like lad And the thing is is, every time I've done it, it tells me I'm the same thing. So I just have to accept by fate, I am a nine. I am a solid nine. I am a high nine, and nine is a peacemaker, which is high. So many peacemakers fucking boring read it out because it's so you so my my superpowers are the good thing, because all of these have good and bad. I have an incredible ability head. Look as long as it says incredible ability, I'm in. Oh, we all like, yes, I'm so nigh to see all sides of an argument. You're non judgmental, easy going and steady. It's that's so yummy. That is true, unfortunately, but it's very boring. You might find it hard to say no. Look, I tried so like last year, I found I made my word of the year nup and I failed terribly. Or voice your own needs because you don't want to cause conflict. Sometimes nines merge with other people's preferences to keep things moving smoothly. All of those things are one hundred percent me.
Speaker 4: It just tells me like all nines are British.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's so funny. I have a very strong inner critic. I have a strong sense of how things should be. I'm allergic to confrontation and argument, and I'm always always trying to find somewhere peaceful to retreat to inside my head and in the world. All those things are really, really true. It's why I like my garden. I didn't even know that until two years ago, and why I like reading and art and music and shit. All of those things are true. But I was so unhappy about it. I kept trying to game it. But then when it gave me my flaws, that's when I knew it was one hundred percent right, because all these things are so true about me, and anyone who works with me, and especially as ever tried to manage me, would know. Right the art of the I can't say no, but I say maybe all the time. Maybe we'll see it actually said. The words we'll see are you're most used. And anyone who knows me, any of my friends, would know, they'll be like do you want to do this thing on that thing on that day? And I'm like, we'll see, we'll see. That's literally what I say all the time, like maybe I'll tell you later. Like I can't say no, so I say maybe. And that's really annoying. The procrastination pivot you how you masterfully finish unimportant tasks to avoid the thing that actually matters.
Speaker 3: See, hello, absolutely, that is very very very nice.
Speaker 1: It's like got a book to write, but hey, suddenly I need to replant that gun. But the stone wall. This is very me understanding the passive aggressive, stubbornness that emerges when you feel pushed or controlled. That is one hundred percent me. If you ask me as she would go that that's her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's like a bit of rebel.
Speaker 1: Like when somebody tries to like then I get very like and I don't say I won't say yeah because I'm passive aggressive idiot. To tell me what to do, I'll just get very stubborn. Peacemakers can lose their eye into a Wii, so like they lose sight of what they want and they think to the group very interesting. So all those things are true. So now I'm just going to walk around at the time, going I'm so nine. So I see, I see the value in this because we've got to get to whether or not any of this is important, whether it's just like star signs and we like talking about ourselves. I see the value in this to a point because the things that I know, we all know. No matter how old you are and what your life stage is and what the challenges are you facing in that minute, there are things you need to fix about your life or get better at. So, for example, and nine needs to get better at saying nope, right, I need to get better at stop killing. You need to get better at not ruining everybody else, like to improve yours. I'm just thinking about the time that em carried around her Best New Talent award. She put it on the podcast, and I'm just like, she's such, what is it? Three? I am such a three? Such a three? I love it. But it's like, so in theory, the positive side of this kind of thing is it supposed to make you recognize that in yourself and so therefore work towards like working with your weaknesses. So is it scientifically correct?
Speaker 3: So when I was studying psychology in our first tutorial. They did something where they gave everybody did a personality test, and then they gave everybody in the next lesson a paragraph and then you wrote about how much you felt like it reflected you.
Speaker 2: Surprise, price turned out they gave everyone.
Speaker 3: The same paragraph and everybody was like, yes, self identification, Yes, I do think there's a lot of that with enny agram. So Holly you reading that out, I'm like, that's me. That's me, like less with the murder, We're not.
Speaker 1: Like the only achiever in the whole world.
Speaker 3: But the idea of people being ambitious and then wanting to protect their image, like that's universal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, but you know how like I was pissed off about mine because I wanted one that was like you're an amazingly successful genius and it's like, no, you're just good at making people feel nice, Like what about that side?
Speaker 3: Well, so you will be happy to know. The enneagram is not a scientifically validated personality test, and it ranks well below other models in terms of evidence and reliability.
Speaker 1: Thank god.
Speaker 2: And it is what about all of.
Speaker 3: It is based on a mix of spiritual traditions and psychological ideas, and what it's good for is a storytelling framework or conversations about growth, but it's not kind of made of anything. But it's not about scientific rigor. So there's many reasons for that. One is that it hasn't been shown to be addictive of anything, so like your behavior or job performance or life outcomes, it hasn't been found to be reliable across time. I me, and if you're interested, the most scientifically backed personality test is actually the Big five Ocean, So that's openness to experience, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness, neuroticism.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm going to get freaking agreeableness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're going to get agreeableness.
Speaker 1: Not doing any more tests, I'm going to be disagreeable. I'm going to be disagreeable. I'm not doing any more tests.
Speaker 3: But that is really predictive across cultures, across time. So if you kind of want something that's got a lot more evidence, I'd probably go down that route, even though you might feel like it's less interesting, but I do think it's really interesting. I categorize everybody via those five traits. Where I live, there will often just be an unexplained queue, and honestly, I reckon every Saturday. I go for a walk and I walk past corner and there's a sneaking line of hundreds of people. So well, no, more often than not, it's an influencer doing some kind of pop up, of course, And what do they do pop ups on, like for a brand like some like sometimes on like the Beach, it'll be a sunscreen brand and they've got some influencer or there was.
Speaker 2: There was an ice cream one a.
Speaker 3: Little while ago with a really like popular influencer, and I thought it was interesting because I saw the queue and then I walked past the shop front and she was out the back talking to someone.
Speaker 1: Was it Tyra Banks?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, no, no, very young influencer. But I was like, honey, there's.
Speaker 2: Hundreds of people waiting for you.
Speaker 1: Busy.
Speaker 3: But I'm always interested by what motivates people to line up for so so so long. Maybe they're hoping to get a photo with the person or meet them in person, meet them in person, and they.
Speaker 2: Will literally wait hours.
Speaker 3: The's got me thinking about what I would queue for, because I would not cue for that.
Speaker 1: But it's interesting because I think, you know, how we live in this immediacy culture of like we can press a button and get everything. Queuing feels like it's back in a way, because like when you go to a major shopping center, there will be people queuing for a pop up or whatever, and I feel that it's all about fomo. It's fake. It's sort of fake demand created right, and it's like people are into it. They like the whole experience of standing in the queue.
Speaker 3: It's the same reason apparently some shops, especially like new shops, are designed to be like intentionally small, so that it always looks over crowded.
Speaker 1: It's why the influencer was talking to the person at the back. She wanted the queue to be big.
Speaker 2: Oh so you're smart, people would cuy for you, Holly.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Holly. What would you queue for coffee? There's pretty much the only thing my friend always says to me. Who's not a coffee person, you know, when you like sometimes where I live, there's only a few coffee shops and it might be a busy holiday weekend and you'll go and auder your coffee and they'll be like, oh, it's going to be fifteen minutes or there's a really long wait, and I'll be like fine, But my friend alway says, there is nothing else you would queue for and wait for all that time, except for coffee, And I'm like, that's true. But then I was also thinking about tickets to stuff. So people always complain about those online queues we have now where it's like you log in and it's like I want to see Harry Styles and it'll say you are fourteen thousand, three hundred and whatever in this queue, and how annoying it is, and you're there for like three hours. But when I was eleven, I stood in an actual physical queue for tickets to see Duran DuRane gen X reference four eight hours. We got there before. It was late in the morning with our sleeping bag on a school day, no whatuld a bit of Saturday for sure, and we were there for eight hours. And when I got to the front of the queue, tickets is sold out, just sold out. So when people complained about online queues, I'm a bit like, mate, you know how it used to bear. Yeah, people queue for in my neighborhood, my old neighborhood in Sydney. They would definitely cue for bread, fancy bread from a fancy bakery. Yeah, Iggy's on Bronze Road. That's the one people would always queue for. That, but I personally will only cue for coffee and Harry Styles.
Speaker 4: I will queue for anything and everything. A few weeks ago, I stood in a queue for two hours for a chicken wrap.
Speaker 1: I know you don't understand. It was a really important chicken red it was so important.
Speaker 4: So Ramadan was a few weeks ago, and they do the La Kember markets in Sydney, and.
Speaker 1: You were so excited about going to that. Did you spend the whole two hour standing in a queue?
Speaker 4: I kind of left my friends in the q and and explored and got more food. Somebody would someone had to be in the queue. The best best chicken rote you've ever tasted. They only do it for the market, so you only get it once a year. So worth it and I had to have it. It was amazing, so worth it. I've queued for twenty five minutes.
Speaker 1: For a Labooboo. I don't know where it is now, but I enjoyed the experience moment. It was very important and I didn't even know what we were queuing for. I just stood out of PopMart and joined the queue, and then I asked someone and they were like, oh, the new labuobus are coming out, and I was like, okay, I wait, and then I get there, and then she gets she goes what's the laboob?
Speaker 4: And then at the counter they were like what would you like? And I was like, why was I in that queue? And he was like, oh, for this labum and I was like, yeah, that one.
Speaker 1: That's what I want. That's what I want. What these people want, that's what I want to They always queue for cafes, like really nice breakfast cafes, probably like about forty five minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really way around.
Speaker 1: It's for a good scrambled Will you not going next door to the one that doesn't have the queue? No, because why wouldn't they have a queue? Clearly not that good.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I love cues.
Speaker 4: I love the experience of a queue. I love listening to other people's conversation. You can't get angry at people in q's because then you to stand there with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah time, Yeah, well yeah exactly. What about theme parks? I would kill yeah, ride.
Speaker 3: I was going to say I would queue for two things. One theme park, absolutely, because it's like being in a Q is just part of the experience.
Speaker 2: And sometimes I think, you.
Speaker 3: Know, how really rich people get that pass where they don't have to queue, Like that's lovely, but like I want to teach my child that that the queue is part of it because you watch the ride a million time.
Speaker 1: A two hour queue for a five minute ride, and sometimes they might like gift you with like a steal bar or a wall to lean on in the queue. Wow. But it's funny because it's like I when I was young, I would queue for nightclubs, right, like, obviously this is a long time ago, and we used to tell ourselves as we were freezing our tits off in some really stupid outfit and you know, it's minus five, and we used to tell ourselves, you never remember the queue, And that's true, like you and I later in life, I remember the thinking that about labor, Like I was like, you don't remember the pain so much as the baby, but like you don't remember the queue outside the nightclub, Yes, as much as you remember the time you had in such Yes.
Speaker 3: And that leads me to my second thing that I will always queue for and not ask questions. I will queue overseas when the stakes are seeing something I may never have the opportunity.
Speaker 1: To see, So the Mona Lisa or there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I will cue.
Speaker 1: So I remember the Mona Lisa. She's quite small, but.
Speaker 3: Like even getting into the loop. Depending on the time of year, it might be a bit of a cue. But I remember the queue to see Ann Frank's house in Amsterdam was huge, and we had had a back and forth about do we line up?
Speaker 2: Do we not line up? I was like, you line up, You're always line up.
Speaker 1: That's really interesting. I reckon there would be an any gram answer to that of like which numbers would just go fuck it, let's go and have a drink, and which ones would be like, no, we have come to see this, we will see it.
Speaker 2: I always line up.
Speaker 1: The three is definitely gonna cue because they want to achieve exactly.
Speaker 4: And then take photos and showrun how much better my life is and how your life is really bad.
Speaker 1: And also I might murder you later.
Speaker 3: See I'm wise, so I need to see historic things because I may be historic.
Speaker 1: That's true, So you might be the Mona Lisa out loud is in a moment.
Speaker 4: There are very specific things you shouldn't do an hour before a date, and you're about to learn from all of my mistakes. American psychiatrist doctor k was interviewed on the Andrew Huberman podcast and so much, and they were talking about love and dating and some of the obstacles in modern love, and he said, Andrew Kay said, he's a one, by.
Speaker 1: The way, when my reformers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Doctor Kay said, one of the reasons that it's harder to fall in love is because the feeling of being in love fells our brain dopamine. However, due to our dopamine system getting messed up with social media and all the time that we spend on technology, it becomes neurochemically harder to fall in love. So what he does is he tells his patience to go for a walk an hour before they go on a date and to not touch any technology.
Speaker 1: Right, is an hour long enough to do that? To think, like an hour to like to sort out the detox dopamine stuff.
Speaker 4: Well, as you know, I'm a three, so I don't really care about.
Speaker 1: What's happening to you personally.
Speaker 4: What I care about is that you're not messaging me in an hour before our day to let me know that it's still happening. So now I'm freaking out. I'm already done up because it's an hour for our date and they're not messaging me back because Andrew Hubberman said, don't do.
Speaker 1: That, don't message her. What do you think? Do you think it's good advice? I know? No, who are you messaging in an hour before? Is the person I'm going to say before? I assume that if you've got all the way to an hour hour before the date thinking the date's going to happen, it's.
Speaker 4: No, it's more like an iss, like I need to tell them, Hey, I'm just about to leave, see you soon.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: I need them to say that so I'm I know we're in it. We're in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not a last minute cancelation. I think the social media thing is a good idea not to look at social media before a date, Like I do this when I'm about to do, like go to an event, or even if i'm like last Weekend was going on stage hollywo was as well, And I don't look at my phone. Not for the dopamine thing, but because there have been times where I'm about to do something that feels high stakes and I'm on my phone and I just see something that ruins my confidence.
Speaker 2: Like it's something totally.
Speaker 3: It can be like a photo of somebody or just just something that makes me feel self conscious or inadequate.
Speaker 1: A photo of a three achieving something yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I become murderous. It's not good for them the event, So I think it's good for both those reasons.
Speaker 4: Well, that makes sense because your algorithm is always algorithming. So I guess if you're going on a date with someone and then you see a TikTok of some guy going.
Speaker 1: These red flags are people always.
Speaker 4: Forget and it's describing that guide to a t then that might put you off. But it reminded me that as a serial data that I subconsciously have all these rules in my head of things that you should definitely not do an hour before the date.
Speaker 1: So Andrew, get on your podcast sculling several glasses of prosecca.
Speaker 4: Yes, one of them is don't do tequila shot an hour before the date, because you feel good in the moment, but an hour later.
Speaker 1: It also can skew the judgment of whether or not this person is attractive and interesting.
Speaker 4: I have, okay, unpopular opinion, but this is from experience. An hour before the date, if you see a juicy pimple in your face, do pop it?
Speaker 1: Do? Yeah? Do not pop it?
Speaker 4: On the way out or do not see it on the way out. Okay, I need to tell you about this date. I went on how a juicy pimple on my face. I was like, no, it's going to ruin everything. I'll put some makeup over.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 4: Went on a date, really vibe with the guy. We were having so much fun. I did the flirty thing of like tucking my hair behind my ears. As I went to tuck my hair, my nail grazed the pimple on my cheek and I pushed it up my cheek and into my hair, and I just felt this whole right side on my face completely wet, and I I could see his eyelight, his eyeline.
Speaker 1: Following my hand, and it's staying there. It stayed where my cheek was you pop the pimple in a date?
Speaker 3: I did?
Speaker 1: Did he call? I didn't hear from a game? Yeah. That's a hard one though, because I'd often do that, like before I'm coming to work or something. I might be looking closely in the me and you're like, oh, and then you know if you do go in, you're gonna have red blotches. So leave it, leave the steaks. Leave it.
Speaker 4: Also face related, do not try any new skin care an hour before the day.
Speaker 1: You'll get a rushed own dire eyebrows. I've done that before. Same died by eyebrow because I tinted my eyebrows because my eyebrows are non existent. And this was before an event too, because I'm sad like Claire and haven't been on a date. Well a should I go on dates with Brent? But like, you know, you know, I've got trivia Thursday, We've got trivia Thursdays. I'd never pop a piple before Trivia Thursdays. But I died my eyebrows and then this makeup honest lady just looked at me and she was like, what did you do? I was like, well, I thought they needed tinting because you can't see them and all the rest of it. She's like, we're going to have to try and fix that with foundation now, and she had to paint them out.
Speaker 3: Because you know what you didn't do because I don't do it either. You didn't put vasoline around them. Did you to stop the dye going on your skin because you're too.
Speaker 2: Fast and loose. I'm the same. I'm like, oh, just be really precise, and then I end up.
Speaker 3: With this weird monobrow like tattooed thing because I didn't do the vasoline.
Speaker 4: One time an hour before a date, I got a lymphatic drainage massage.
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 4: It really makes your bows move, but only like an hour after.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if there's things you shouldn't eat, you shouldn't in the hour before you go on, you don't.
Speaker 4: You also don't want to hold everything in because then you're get a hemorrhoid.
Speaker 1: Which has also happened on a day. You need to check with doctor Claire if that's true. But anyway, have you got any thoughts about things you shouldn't do before.
Speaker 2: You Okay, massive thing for me.
Speaker 3: Don't try and paint your nails because you are too impatient and I cannot not use my hands for however long the ambiguous amount of time it is that it will dry, so they always end up so so, so bad, and you'd rather just have bare nails than all the mess.
Speaker 1: You shouldn't have a fight with your mom, best friend X. Shouldn't. You shouldn't anything that's going to ruin your mood like that, Like, don't get into it if you if you're WhatsApp group starts popping off but you've got to be in the zone. Just ignore. I agree.
Speaker 4: I also think don't tell your friends that you're going on a date an hour before, because then it gives them an hour to like really vet that person and you have to answer the questions. Just tell them as you're walking out the door.
Speaker 1: Question, do you if you're going on a date with someone? Do you? Do you tell your friends? And do you tell them who it is so that they do do that and get in your head about it. Oh, I've seen that guy. Oh I don't know about that guy, blah blah blah. No, I only tell them who it is after the date. But I do have them on Find my Friends, so they track my location for a safety thing. So you would text before we leave, leaving now leaving for a day on it. Yeah, and then after I'll be like it was this guy, and I'd be like, oh, I dated that guy in twenty twenty one. Yeah, great, Sunny is very small. We will never talk of him again.
Speaker 2: After the break.
Speaker 3: Our best recommendations to get you through the Easter long weekend.
Speaker 1: Vibes, ideas, atmosphere, something casual, something fun. This is my best recommendation.
Speaker 3: It's Friday, so we want to set you up with our best recommendations.
Speaker 2: I'm going to start with m you have been on a hot streak.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'd say, really setting the tone with the recommendations because you consume content like no one I've ever.
Speaker 1: Met me to consume a lot of content.
Speaker 4: And I do have to issue an apology for out louders because I was made aware by a lovely out louder that there is also a twenty twenty one Bruce Willis film called Deadlock. That's deadlock with a K, not Deadlock with the H. The TV show that I recommend that I recommended last week. I didn't recommend that film. I did ask her if it was good and she said no.
Speaker 1: She came in to be like, EM, why did you send me to this movie? And you were like, no, no, no, that's not what I meant. She said that she spent thirty five minutes watching it and her partner was like, what is going on? And she was like, I trust EM's recommendation. Let's take it rough. This doesn't seem like a quirky crime comedy in Tasmania. No, but Deadlock with the H is a TV show that is very very good. Started watching it now, are you enjoying? You absolutely loving it? All your records lately? Oh my god, how to get to Heaven from Belfast?
Speaker 4: So I've got another TV show to recommend this week on Prime Video.
Speaker 1: It's a new one. It's called Young Sherlock. It is on Prime Video.
Speaker 4: It stars Hero Finds Tiffin And if that name sounds familiar, it's because he's Ray find nephew. Oh so the not the character, the start, the starter, the star he plays Sherlock Holmes and his other uncle, Joseph Finds, plays his dad. And if he sounds familiar, he's the commander in Handmaid's Tale.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure he was in shakespeare line anyway. So it's a big It's a big handsome guy. He's very handy, always like a bit of a creepy, creepy dude. But I just love to keep it in the family, don't they. They're like, it must be a really good job because if like I was watching Love Story Meryl Streep's daughters, and I'm like, imagine being Meryl Streep's daughter, Who's she's the best act of all time. Anyway, I'm digressing, but it's so true. So I've only found this after the case.
Speaker 4: But it's a big NEPO show, but you can't tell when you're watching it.
Speaker 1: It's really really good.
Speaker 4: So it is about Sherlock Holmes when he was younger at Oxford. All his professors start to die and then he goes on this big like adventure to figure out how they're dying, why they're dying.
Speaker 1: It's just really really fun.
Speaker 4: I would say it's like a family show, except that it is a few swear words in there?
Speaker 3: Do I need to have any other? Because when when I hit this is the thing about shows now, when I hear young Sherlock, I'm like, is there some Sherlock universe that I'm not aware of?
Speaker 2: Where I'm going to be lacking things?
Speaker 1: You do know who Slock home? I do an investigator. I like him, he is a five, he's a far like you.
Speaker 2: But I'm like, young, like, is there other related stuff? When there's storylines?
Speaker 1: I need to know there are like some few little bits of that, like address the Sherlock universe.
Speaker 4: But you're not going to be like, what are they talking about? Okay, like you will understand it. So it's him and his best friend James Moriarty when they're older become like sworn enemies. But they're best friends when they were younger, and they're just like on this big adventure. And they're both very good looking, which is arguably the most important thing.
Speaker 3: Oh, beautiful, beautiful, Okay, I need to recommend The Gambler by J. P. Pomari. I'm probably saying that wrong. I think it's no, it's not Pommyre. It's not Pommere. It is Maury and he rolls the art and it sounds beautiful when he says it, and silly when I say it.
Speaker 1: Sorry, but you're say it's not Italian.
Speaker 3: But you'll see now that I've said it, you'll see his name on book cover.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay.
Speaker 3: So he's an award winning author originally from New Zealand who now lives in Melbourne. And books of his you might have already read include In The Clearing, The Last Guests Tell Me Lies or seventeen years Later. And he's also had two of his books adapted for series on Stan and Disney Plus. But The Gambler just came out and I read an early copy in literally two days. It is set in America and it follows a private investigator who is looking at quite an unusual case because an otherwise lovely woman in her sixties has opened fire at a political rally, shooting a promising young university student before being shot dead herself. There doesn't seem to be any motive except some rumors that Barb who's the shooter, was spending a lot of time on Facebook and getting more and more persuaded by conspiracy.
Speaker 1: Lots of things we've been talking about lately, I know.
Speaker 3: So the thing I loved most about this book that people who have read other books of his will recognize is that there's an incredible twist, a master of the twist. But it challenges every possible stereotype you could have about different kinds of people in the US. So you might have a stereotype about the kind of person who carries a gun, or the kind of person who lives in the Midwest, or the kind of person who's highly educated, whatever it is, it turns all of it on its head in a really humanizing way. And he's able to express a character's motivations in.
Speaker 2: This really believable.
Speaker 3: Way, even when they're the villain. So if you love Jane Harper, then you'll love the Gambler and you'll race through it.
Speaker 1: I've got a book as well, So we were heaving on the books this week because I've been waiting for this book to come out to tell you about it, because so many out louders are going to fricking love this book. It's called The Nocturnals and it's by Francis Whiting. And Francis Whiting is a journo from Queensland who is the most beautiful writer. She has a really popular column that she's had for one hundred years, so she's a little bit of a Brisbane legend. And she writes novels too, but not very often like she's and so you're always excited when she writes one. I know her name she wrote, well, the last one she wrote was called some kind of Beautiful. I think her most popular, her most famous one is called Walking on Trampolines. She's just a beautiful writer. Anyway. This one is called The Nocturnals and it's going to be big because it taps into so many things that people love at the minute, nineties, nostalgia. It's like, it's not about murders and it's not about crime, which murders and crime are great, don't get me wrong, but it's not that kind of a book. Yeah. So it's about this group of school best friends in the nineties. So in nineteen ninety seven, this group of sort of they've all got like issues at home or whatever, and they become this very tight group of sort of slightly eccentric outcasts called the Nocturnals. And then the book picks them up fifteen years later, so still in the world pre phones, pre internet, they're going to have a reunion for the first time. So like, this is a familiar kind of plot in a way, right, we know about the friends at school and that picking them up later, and it's just very successful in that way. But the thing about this book is the characters so beautifully crafted. The competing timeline of it isn't confusing at all. It's so deft. The chapters are really short. She manages to cram so much characterization into it. Like I just felt like I could see all these people that I knew exactly what they look like, what they smelt like, how they were and they were so real. And the thing is is, of course there's like a romantic tension because the ones who you think are going to be the couples at the beginning. Then somebody's gone off with somebody else's person and all this, and one of them has become a famous news reader in New York and he's coming back, and like, it's just so beautiful, so juicy, but such a like gorgeous read. Anyway, I love it. You'll see it because it's got these it's got this gorgeous cover with these disco balls on it that kind of all glitters and it's it's just the most beautiful book. It's called The Nocturnals by Francis Widing, and you will thank me for it. That is all we have time for on Mama Mia out Loud this week. Have a nice long weekend. You might be working, you might be staying home when you didn't think you were going to be because of the bloody petrol crisis. But whatever you're doing, we hope you're having a lovely time. And I hope you're having.
Speaker 2: Eggs, eggs, eggs. We hope you're ends that you're taking our recommendation.
Speaker 1: Starts choclud and chocolate. And remember, if you've loved this episode, whether you're watching it along on Apple Podcasts or whether you're listening wherever you are leave us a review. We would absolutely love it. Five stars please only five stars, yes, of course, about why you love the show. We appreciate you and we'll see you next week.
Speaker 4: Bye. Mamma Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we have recorded this podcast.