Speaker 1: You're listening to I'm I'm a mea podcast. Hello, and welcome to Unleashed, a podcast for gen X women who need a laugh. Yes, if the world is doing your head in, if your brain is about to explode, come and hang with us. So who's on the couch today?
Speaker 2: I'm Bruno Pep Andrea, and I'm a film and TV producer.
Speaker 3: Hello, I'm Mary Curses. I'm an actress and writer.
Speaker 4: Hello is it? I'm Gray Lamb fashion stylist.
Speaker 1: I'm Casperhoney, I'm a comedian and I won't be singing today. So wherever you're listening and clenching your clencher pelvic floor, let's unleash. Okay, I have the talking stick. Whoever has the talking stick can talk about whatever they want, big or small, petty or polarizing. Who would like it?
Speaker 4: I'm petty, I'll go okay. So, ladies, I've done something that was so scary to me recently that I've conquered this fear. Who was it driving? I mean something you might not know about me that I'm a huge Formula one fan. So those lovely listeners who don't know. Even though I love fast car, I drive like a granny.
Speaker 1: Do you I would not have said that. I feel you'd be crazy bitch on the road?
Speaker 3: Has it always been the issue or is this a new thing.
Speaker 4: It's a new thing since I started perimenopause, I have to say. And because when you moved to Melbourne exactly a year ago, I'm not familiar with the road. And we have an SUV car and is big, and the building that we're living in, the exit to go in and out is very small. It's second week I was in Melbourne. I scratched car and I've never driven since. It's been ten months.
Speaker 5: Oh Jesus.
Speaker 4: Yes, I get nervous when i'm driving, you know, and there's so much going on that's a lot for my brain, you know. So recently Jason had to go away for a week and I thought, fuck me, I'm not very good at driving. How am I going to get around town? I mean, okay, there's public transport, but you know, when you do grocery shoppings, I need my car. So then I forced myself to face my fear for a whole week practice finally got out with no scratch.
Speaker 1: All right, how did you psyche yourself up? How did you actually do it?
Speaker 4: So first of all, I won't let Jason or theotok in the car. I'll help. I need to focus, no music, and I will go really slow and just go. And I actually do breathing exercise before I start. It's a whole thing. So I meditated a little bit for a few minutes.
Speaker 1: Breathe.
Speaker 4: You can do it, you can do it. I was saying to myself, let's go, grace, and you can't do this. So every day when I exit that car park successfully, I do this, click my finger up and I go yes.
Speaker 1: That's how I roll bitches whilst going five k. Yes.
Speaker 4: So now I have to do parallel parking. And my personal record when I was living in Perth to parallel park seventeen times, back and forth.
Speaker 5: One try. You are seventeen.
Speaker 4: Yes, I was counting. My son was counting and laughing.
Speaker 3: I'm like silently counting.
Speaker 4: I saw this. I saw this space. And when I see a space that I don't think I can get in, I will go round and round until I see something that I can do it. This one, I had no choice because he was late for swimming and I thought, okay, let's just do it. Let's just do this seventeen fucking times, to the point that I said to THEO, can you please stop counting? You're making me nervous. So seventeen times I did it, So now I need to conquer that.
Speaker 2: But it's someone behind you and waiting. Is that what you're anxious about?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, because it gives you pressure.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I became one of those people that I judge my people. I judge Asian drivers, and whenever they're slow, whenever the slot, I'm like, I bet he's an Asian person and it is Alwait. So now I've conquered the exit out the parking lot. The next thing is parallel parking, because now my social media is or by a Formula one and parallel parking that's my algorithm.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Grace, I'm with you because I could parallel part within like five cent piece. I was amazing. And then perimeniforms and my spatial awareness my anxiety. I've now got a camera in my car, which should really make it better. It doesn't make it better at all.
Speaker 7: Here's what I've also found amongst a lot of women our age is they get a fear of going over bridges.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I've heard this from about five different women over the years. Never had an issue going over say the Harbor Bridge or the Westgate Bridge, depending on where you are.
Speaker 3: Panic on a bridge, I don't know.
Speaker 7: It only ever happens sort of late thirties into their forties, will do everything to avoid going over a bridge. I don't know whether it's because there's open space on either side.
Speaker 1: I've never heard of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, people have. I think we should put it out there.
Speaker 7: If you have a fear of driving on bridges, let us know, because I am not lying when I tell you I've had four or five women tell me the same thing over the last few years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Can I have the talking stick please? All right? I would like to talk about a concept that I heard Mia Friedman talk about on out Loud, which is called the four burners. So this idea is basically, think about your life as a stove, like a cook top. You've got four pans on the go. It's friends, family, work, and health. And the theory is you can't have your four burners blasting all at the same time, and so to be successful at one or two of them, you have to have at least one off, maybe two. So my burning question to you all is which one of the four are you turning off? So we've got family, friends, work, and health, Mary.
Speaker 7: I'd like to think I don't them off. I think I like to board a couple on simmer or low. Maybe health when I'm really busy, because I never not want to stay connected to the people I love. Work is sort of almost on full most of the time. You know, it's based on that whole idea or if you can't have everything all at once, right, So yeah, I think probably health, and I think a lot of women would relate to that.
Speaker 5: It's true.
Speaker 2: I have seen you, I've known you a long time, and you have always not prioritized health, like you were not getting checks when you should have for a long time, right, Like it's interesting like watching you was never in your like front brain. I would say I only ever switched one off, and that's friends. Probably work never switches off. And particularly I think when you have your own company, it's kind of a twenty fourth heaven thing, particularly when you're married to your business partner and family. I try not to switch off. I would say the friends of the thing as after I had children in trying to find balance where I just couldn't be that person who was the person that I've always been organizing everything. So I would say that gets turned off depending on how busy I am.
Speaker 4: Grace, I would say, at fifty three young, I would turn off my career.
Speaker 5: Wow, I love that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, only because I put priority on family first, definitely and my health. Family to me now means my husband and my son. Everyone else can to fuck off. So the reason I said career last is because I'm at that point that I'm very picky about what I do. Yes, i have to earn a living, but at the same time, I refuse to take on jobs or projects that is against my values. Ye you know, not that I'm a billionaire. Of course I need to earn money, but at the same time, my career is definitely not my priity. You know, I'm happy to I'm happy where I am, and I'm happy with my life. So for me, if you don't have health, you don't have career, you can't do anything. Yeah, absolutely nothing.
Speaker 5: You can do. I agree with them.
Speaker 4: So health and family is definitely first.
Speaker 1: Friends.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm very good with keeping friends. I'm like you, I always organize every thing, but I mean I make friends every day. Yeah, you know, so definitely my career is on simmer.
Speaker 5: What about you, keV.
Speaker 1: Well, I want it all for boiling. And it's only when you think about it that you go, my god, they're absolutely not. Whenever I'm trying to do, you know, the work stuff in my head, I'm like, I really should get to the gym and lift weights and do this and that, and you just run out of time. So for me, I'm a free lance so work never stops. But when you're a single person or you know, a solo mum, I'm the breadwinner and I live the other side of the world to my family. So for me, my friends in Australia are like my family. So if I had to pick two, it would be those two. But I really would like to turn the fucking hate up on health. Yeah tell you, because I just think I don't know how she's going on the inside this whole girl vis a service.
Speaker 4: I think also when people used to tell me you can have it all, I'm like, clearly you're lying. When mom said, oh you can have all of how fabulous, I'm like, clearly something's got to give.
Speaker 1: I don't believe in that.
Speaker 2: No, and I don't care I've seen I've seen people with like you can have all the help in the world, and you can't. You can have that, you just can't do it, like Mary said, all at once. But and also I think people underestimate health is a real commitment and it takes time.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 4: And also one hack which is really important is that I think, as you know, midlife women, we feel like, oh my god, unless I do an hour in a gym, that there is nothing, no show up for five minutes, gradually at ten minutes, fifteen minutes. If you do it every day, it's better than nothing.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 1: But just when I'm doing that, I'm going, oh fuck, I've got to do meal prep for Lewis because my seventeen year old is going through protein like it's going out of fashion. Like there's just always a thing to do.
Speaker 5: Get earlier.
Speaker 3: Look, I've got to say it.
Speaker 7: And I love some sort of concept that you can get everything into right, and this I love as an idea. But I have always been blessed with a lot of great energy, and I have tried and very successfully for the most part of my life to keep all four burners going.
Speaker 3: And the benefits been mine, you know, like i've I'm lucky.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 7: Bruna says I don't get enough checkups, and she's right. She made me have a check up, I reckon three decades ago. She forced me, drove me to a GP. I went in, had a perhapsmere and found out I had pre cancerous cells thanks to your forcing me.
Speaker 3: So I would say you can have all four, especially if it's.
Speaker 7: If those things are energizing you. I think you switch off the one that's depleting you. So I like the idea of this that all four burners can't be on at the same time. But here's where I reckon it drops the ball. Why are you switching off one of those burners? And it's not just time. I suspect it's because that burner is the thing that is high maintenance, the one that's depleting you, the one that you're not getting something back from a lot of the time. So yeah, I would switch off a friendship group that was of no value to me, except my friends are everything to me, So I would never switch that one off. Yeah, But I think the one that you choose to turn down is often the one that's the most depleting. And you make a choice to turn it down, not that you don't have room for it, but it's not giving you enough.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, totally, totally right, man.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, guys, I need to talk about something that happened. I had a work situation last week, and under normal circumstances, this might just be another day in Hollywood, so to speak. But I had a pretty tense exchange with someone. So I don't want to get too specific because I'll probably get sued, but it was a pretty tense negotiation and someone on the other side was incredibly rude to someone I work with, and something in me just snapped where I was like, no, no, this is not going to happen. You cannot speak to someone like that anyone. I don't care who it is.
Speaker 1: What was it about what he said that really got and dear clause, it.
Speaker 2: Was just disrespectful. It was dishonest, and it was very rude and under normal circumstances, particularly as I've gotten older in my business, one of the things I prided myself on in Hollywood, it's not taking shit personally and just kind of putting the email in the drafts folder and not sending it because we all had to do business together and it's dangerous sometimes to kind of push back, right, particularly when there's like a power and balance. So anyway, I lost it and I was like, no, this is not okay. So I wrote an email straight away and I sent it straight away where I was basically like, I will not tolerate you speaking to me or anyone that works with me or collaborates with me in this way.
Speaker 5: It's not okay.
Speaker 7: So when you sent that email, did you feel relief? Did you know it was the right thing to do at the time?
Speaker 2: No, I was very conflicted, and I felt really sick about it. I was like, I was just really conflicted because I knew I'd done the right thing, that was no doubt about that in my mind. But I also knew that there could be blowback. What kind of blowback, well, you know, and like in business, like kind of some kind of retribution where look in Hollywood there's like power plays all the time, right, So it was a pretty terrible situation. Like I went to bed feeling like, oh God, what's going to happen when I wake up? That's what I went to bed thinking, Can you tell us.
Speaker 4: The juicy bed? What did he write back?
Speaker 2: I mean, he basically wrote back and was like, you know your way of doing business is not my way of doing business. Then basically good luck, like good luck with whatever.
Speaker 5: You do next.
Speaker 2: So I will say, for me, I want to send that email you know more than I would like to say, but ninety percent of the time I don't, and it passes and it all works out.
Speaker 5: Do any of you ever.
Speaker 2: Feel like you've snapped or you needed to say something and you did or didn't, And have you been in that kind of work situation?
Speaker 3: Totally?
Speaker 7: I have, and I reckon it stunted my career by ten years. I was doing something for the network that I was working with at the time. I'd been on a show promoting something I didn't like the way I was it was handled. I felt like I was thrown under the bus and I got off that set of that show and my biggest fan was one of the top executives at the network at the time, and I lost my shit and I went from being his favorite.
Speaker 3: So he just iced me after that.
Speaker 5: But were you losing your shit rightfully? Like, were you in the marning?
Speaker 7: I think I was way too emotional. I should have taken a moment I could have had that I could have used the exact same words without being so outraged, and I think I would have got away with it. I think when you double with the emotion on the top, especially because I didn't see it coming that this guy went from totally being my biggest fan to like going right, we're done.
Speaker 2: But I do think that specific I do. I think that when women get emotional like you're describing, I think people on the other side view itself. I've seen it viewed very differently to when a man gets they're just being They're just being like decisive and forthright, whereas I've seen it women judged in a different way.
Speaker 5: Is anyone else experience this?
Speaker 4: I mean I've done both where I should have said something and I did it in at three am. I'm like, why the fuck did I not say anything? But also with this mouth, it's no control over it. What you see is what you get. That's the problem with me sometimes and and I'm I'm the person that I will go in for like justice, I will fight for other people, and I think sometimes it just I mean, this is my own experience, people, I just want to caveet that. And what I'm going to say is controversial. But this is my own personal experiences, is that every time I have a dispute with someone at work, somehow, it's always women that are not happy with me, or they get very personal, or they always women that want to take me down. And I'm not saying this is what experience, this is my experience, and so far in my whole career, I haven't met one woman boss that I feel that we have a sisterhood. It's almost like I love women so much, and I find it quite surprising because I'm also disappointed because I'm the I'm opposite and maybe Brune, I feel like we have very similar characters, right, and maybe because we are more masculine in some ways of dealing with stuff that people, especially with me because I'm Asian, they don't expected.
Speaker 2: But your business is very female oriented as well.
Speaker 4: And yes, exactly so. But all the men that I've worked with in the fashion industry, when they're not happy with me, they fucking tell me. And I love that at least I know if you're not happy with me, right, where sometimes with certain people it's more it's not just about women or men certain people, but they just happen to be female. They get so personally you know, sometimes if I dress better than them, they get jealous and sometimes if I know want people then to get pissed off.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, well, you and I just say what we think, and I think that's something that like, I'm not a fan of the passive aggressive, and I think we're old enough to just be aggressive aggressive.
Speaker 3: Can I get the talking stick, Merry Chriscus, that's me? Okay. I got pulled over by the police the other day. Oh yeah, yeah, No.
Speaker 7: What was really sad on my behalf is I pulled over thinking that they needed to go past me.
Speaker 3: But I just thought, oh, something important's car.
Speaker 7: I better pull over, you know, like you do with an ambulance or anyone with a siren.
Speaker 3: They didn't have their siren on.
Speaker 7: But then they were pulling me over, and so I went to get out of the car and they went full La.
Speaker 3: Compton on me.
Speaker 6: Get in the car, Get in the car, Stay in the car, relax, rookie.
Speaker 7: Anyway, So I'm sitting in there and three of them come over to the car again. Three three police people came over, a die and two girls and they said you. The man said he had a mustache and he said to me, do you realize you turn right on a red light, and I'm telling you I just turned and said no, actually, I have no idea. No, I do not realize that I turned right on the red light. And he said, well you did. Well, what am I going to do it? I'm gonna argue with a cop and win. And then he tells me you know you're being recorded, and he's got.
Speaker 5: Bably.
Speaker 7: I was going to say, can I have a minute. I just want to check that tack the lipstead. Anyway, he said, well, that's concerning that you didn't realize. And then chick walks in and she says, have you been drinking? And I said only caffeine and down like a ton of bo knows humor allowed.
Speaker 3: Apparently it's illegal.
Speaker 7: Surprised they didn't do me a few demerit points on that game anyway, So she shoves the thing in my mouth or close enough to you know, the brother supplies it. Yeah, And I counted to ten and it came up zilcho. All good there, and then he said, all right, can I have your driver's license?
Speaker 1: And I gave it to me.
Speaker 7: He went back to the car for about four minutes, really trying to make me sweat while I wasn't sweating. I was so relaxed. I'm like, there's no way I turned right on a red light anyway. Came back and he said, we're going to give you an early warning. So I got off.
Speaker 1: So you're not going to jail. So I'm not going to jail. That's good.
Speaker 3: But I have played cops as an actress.
Speaker 7: I was in a show no one's ever spoken off called skirts, and apparently they used to call female cops skirts in the old days.
Speaker 3: It's a demeaning thing.
Speaker 7: And so you know, like I relate to police, I feel for anyone that has authority coming on anyone else, I smell relay away.
Speaker 3: So I want to.
Speaker 7: Know when you've been pulled over by the cops and you try to get out of it.
Speaker 5: God, I got pulled over not long ago. Oh yeah, you got the.
Speaker 2: Cops for the same reason, except like Mary, I was fairly certain I was guilty, and Sam sam over.
Speaker 5: I'm like, and I'm running late. I'm like, oh shit.
Speaker 1: And just bear in mind, in.
Speaker 2: California, you don't have demerit points, so you get all the fines you want. You'll never lose a demeraic pot okay, okay. So I was striving for three years in Sydney with a California license and thinking, doesn't matter, I've got my California license. When I finally went to get my Australian license, they said, oh, thank you, miss Papenrea.
Speaker 5: You've lost thirty three demera.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, you heard it right, thirty three people. And turns out they were tracking it, so I had to go on probation.
Speaker 5: Re can only lose one.
Speaker 2: I get pulled over on the way to unleash thanks it's an expensive day, and he says, excuse me, ma'am.
Speaker 3: That's right, ma'am American home, ma'am.
Speaker 5: Do you realize you ran a red line? What I thought it was Amber? I was pretty sure it was Amber.
Speaker 2: He goes, no, I was definitely read. I go, I suppose we'll see when the photo's coming out.
Speaker 3: I'm we'll just see.
Speaker 5: But I mean similar thing. You feel like this small?
Speaker 2: Do you feel like a kid who's like badly in trouble with the teacher. But in that case, I was like, oh god, and I'm glad they caught me. I pushed the boundaries and I shouldn't have done it, and you should.
Speaker 5: I do actually think rhades.
Speaker 2: I love that they are so tough in Australia because we should all pay attention. So I was glad and I was like, bad me, thank you give me the fine.
Speaker 4: So I'm actually an expert of getting out of tickets. Listen to this, bitches. I got Jason out of a spearing ticket through the red light on my birthday. So we went out for date night on my birthday in Perth, and he, like you, he thought he went through the amber light, but clearly to the cops is a red light. So then we got asked to pull over in a corner and I said to Jason, go with my flow. I said no, I literally said this nime, I go my flow, watch and learn.
Speaker 5: Just go with me.
Speaker 4: So the cop came over dressing rolled out the window and he went, did you know you went through a red light? And Jason goes, I thought it was Ember, and I said, officer, can I just say something? I said, it's my birthday today and my husband took me out for a date night. Our son is with the grannies and I said to him after dinner, honey, do you want me to drive?
Speaker 3: And he goes, no, no, no, it's your birthday.
Speaker 1: Let me drive.
Speaker 5: And then this happened.
Speaker 4: So then he goes, ma'am, ma'am, is your birthday? To that, I said, yes, I said, look at me.
Speaker 1: I'm all dressed.
Speaker 4: I don't look like this normally. I said, I might see him come right now, but I'm so fiery inside. He's not going to get sex tonight, Oh my god. So then he went away and I turned to Jason. I said, that's how you do it. And then he came back and he goes, sir, I want to let this go because it's your wife's birthday. But again, and Jason was going to say something, you are not qualified to speak right now. I said, thank you, officer. He's not going to get any sex tonight.
Speaker 1: Thank you, goodbye.
Speaker 4: So I goes out like three four hundred.
Speaker 5: Dollars, come on, brilliant, that's amazing. Okay.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have a similar story that didn't end as well as Grace. I was early days of separation, very emotional, not not sort of keeping it together. Was late for daycare, went through a red light because I was ugly crying, and when they when I got pulled over, and I was ugly crying explaining I was late for daycare and I was getting divorced. Might have even dropped my ex husband's name. He just wrote out the tickets.
Speaker 5: No I have, at least.
Speaker 1: I actually didn't give it to grad.
Speaker 3: But I don't buy this bullshit of it's good.
Speaker 7: This is those emerit points, well good when you got sprung with a million of merit points.
Speaker 5: No, But my point is, and I do feel this.
Speaker 2: I feel very strongly that they're very tough on texting and that stuff. You should never do it, and I do like that they come down hard in Australia because it shouldn't happen, And.
Speaker 5: I like that. I'm bored up on it. So there. Will you honestly are more freaking concerned citizen than you guys.
Speaker 1: Will you remake skirts because we could all be in it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I'm only remaking skirts.
Speaker 2: If Mary and Megan Michael were starring it together, there were suits.
Speaker 5: Now they're skirts, that's it.
Speaker 1: Grace Lamb is so lovely Tubby on the sofa, and you are our residence stylist. So I'm going to ask you what is going on in fashion world?
Speaker 4: You know what I saw recently that blew my mind. Miss Kate Moss one of my favorite supermodels. She is fifty two, she's a year younger than me, and she wore like a g string at a Gucci runway show. Yes, I mean I thought it was fabulous. What I want to ask you, ladies, is that have you ever been in an emergency situation where you had to share a piece of clothing with your girlfriend or someone like a pair of nickers or bra or top, Because I have, and that person's Kate Moss. About Kate Moss wore my niggas?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: What nickers?
Speaker 4: So when I was a fashion assistant assistant Edward Nning for Obe, we were in Paris. We were shooting in Paris with one of the most famous photographer in Paris, and it was with Naomi Campbell, another supermodel, And next day we had to go back to London via Eurostar to shoot Kate Mass. So we went back and we were so tired, Me and the third system was so tired. We got to London and Edward came in and we got all the clothes out. Kate Moss came in. She's so fabulous and so cool, cool London London girl er goes grace. Can we give Kate a pair of g string because we're gonna do like a crop shot for you know, a cover, and she's gonna wear this milletant jacket. I'm not okay, fine, We looked everywhere in the studio. We could not find a beau. We were so tired that we left a whole suitcase in Paris. I started sweating. So in styling world we have a suitcase called Starling kits. There's clips, they're like needles, their threats, you know, like those chicken colors, nickas everything in this bad We left the whole suitcase in Paris. But we were too tired. So then now I looked at the second assistant, I thought, oh my god, we loved it in Paris. So then er goes, well, come on, get it out.
Speaker 1: He sent me through.
Speaker 4: He sent me to the changing room with Kate Mass, just me and Kate Mass together, and I was like, oh my god, my idol in the same room room as me, and she's taking her pants off. I had no choice, one of one of my.
Speaker 3: Nickers to her, But you weren't wearing them, no clean in don't I pitched you taking off your.
Speaker 4: My dirty nickers. I don't think so so anyway, I gave her a clean pair. She said to me, I don't really like you string anyway, this is so much better. I'm like, okay, great, Kate love you. So then we did a shoot. Everything was fine, and Kate left. I picked up my nickers and I said to all the photo assistants, I said, and I said, this pair of nickers. Anyone wants this? Because me and Kate both wore it. I think one of the photo assistants took it, he gave it away. I kept it and on eBay.
Speaker 5: Well, now the only fans was around, then, you.
Speaker 1: Know I'd be so rich. I have a very much less sexy version of this story. I was with an ex boyfriend, now is it very much next? But we'd gone to New Zealand, to the South Island to see his mum, who I had not met, and quantus god bless them, lost my luggage and so like a day in you know, I've done my anddies inside out. But by the next day I've had to wear my boyfriend's mums.
Speaker 3: That's crapy.
Speaker 1: They were a strong pant, not a cake must g string. But it was just a way of I guess us bonding she didn't want them back and I didn't want to keep them.
Speaker 5: Why you didn't buy some? Because it was like, you.
Speaker 1: Know, in the middle of like the South Island where you're lucky if you could get you know, peanut butter let alone.
Speaker 7: Yes, speaking of Bundies, I remember a few months ago, Kathy're on the mission to find the love of your undy life.
Speaker 5: Did you find them?
Speaker 1: I'm very happy with the love of my Andy's life. Yeah. I had so many of our listeners sending their examples and I've landed on a very happy pair from Marks and Spencers. You can get them online and they're just like a very high pant but a bit sexy. There's a bit of lace and they're a bit sheer, so they're sexy unless you're wearing a pantliner. Then they're not sexy. But they're very comfort because they don't dig in and they give you a nice shape.
Speaker 5: I'd like the name of those and thanks listening.
Speaker 1: The name of the andies. I can show you, but off camera and we'll put a link in the show notes.
Speaker 3: Awesome.
Speaker 1: Okay, is there anything better than somebody else's problems? Well, we have a segment called other People's problems where you send in your dilemmas or questions and we dispense unqualified advice with a lot of confidence. Mary, you've got today's question.
Speaker 5: Yes I do.
Speaker 7: This is from Unleasha Jules. I need some advice, ladies. I'm a fifty four year old divorce woman. I'm going to my first speed dating event in a few weeks and I need your advice on some cracking questions to ask, especially great opening ones. I want this to be fun and I would love it to be memorable, not boring, albeit not come.
Speaker 3: Across as crazy. Any help would be most welcome.
Speaker 7: Now, Jewels, I married Bruna and Grace Artu, so we called in a specialist. We said this all the way to Sally Hepworth, who is currently in the US on her book tour of Mad Mabel. And because Sally is post divorce and dating and she's a writer and she has a way with words, and frankly she owes us one, we're throwing it over to Sally.
Speaker 3: Sally over to you, Hi, Jules, it's Sally here.
Speaker 6: I loved this question. In fact, one of my great regrets in life life is that I never have been speed dating. But you know, still time. I suppose I've thought about a few questions. I'd start off with something soft, like what made you sign up for this or who dragged you into it? I think that's always a nice place to start. A few others, I've asked, what is your love language? You know, it's touched by the way it's touch for everyone every man likes touch. What would your ex girlfriends say about you? I would ask them that if it's already going well, because you want to see if they're self aware and you know, contrite, if they've learned anything. But if they're a bit of a douche, you know, just skip over that one because you're not going to go on a date with them anyway. What is something you're passionate about? I think that's a great question to ask because it could be golf, it could be gardening. It could be, you know, something really weird and creepy. And that could be interesting to find out too, because if things don't work out, there's always the chance that it's going to be a funny story. But I think the most important thing is not a question, but a statement. Depending on who's meant to be asking who, I would want to say something like, Okay, ask me anything you want, because I just hear of so many women going on dates and discovering at the end that the man didn't even ask them a single question. So if it's not on you to ask the questions, if it's a two way street, I would open with that and just put the pressure on them because let's face it, this is when they're doing their best work and they're trying to woo you. So if they don't have any questions for you, and they're not asking any questions exactly, I hope it goes so well. And by the way, kudos to you get out there fifty four. Life's just begun and apparently we're at our sexual peak as well, so have fun.
Speaker 3: We'd think, Kath, what would you ask it?
Speaker 1: Speed Daily? Well, first of all, I love what Sally said because having been on a lot of dates, you know, with people in their later life, so many men don't ask anything. So first of all, I think go with what sal said. I would I mean? And I love that Jewell says she doesn't want she wants to be interesting, but not like kind of bonkers odd, because that's where I go. I go bonkers odd. So I'm just trying to find a nice middle place for jewels. I would be wanting to say. I would want something like, what would you you know you're on death row? What's your last mail? Or I would want to know what do you do on a Sunday morning? Because what they do on a Sunday morning could tip you one way or the other. I would want to know if they have a good relationship with their mum. I would want to know what is something that is embarrassing that they do but they love but it's quite embarrassing. Like I want, you know, I want a bit of vulnerability. Yeah, yeah, what about you?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know, but I agree.
Speaker 7: I don't think Australians are very good at asking questions. They often just give a statement rather than ask a question. Anytime you've been to Q and A, that's that's how it comes across. I think if I was Effie, I would ask about, you know, liabilities, mortgages, whether they've got double gain or they have any dependence, where they got any super all those good things.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I just think that, like you said, Kat, I think you wanted to see a bit of dimension.
Speaker 1: Yes, I like that too. I did ask a guy recently on Bumble and we were getting on really quite well. He was a star sign that I wasn't compatible with.
Speaker 3: But here we go again, that's.
Speaker 1: Just like his son's sign. So I was like, he could have the perfect rising sign on moon size. So I said to him, can you give me your time of birth, place of birth and if you could do it within this sort of two hour window.
Speaker 4: Already Kat's doing his charts, don't so don't ask me?
Speaker 3: Do you ever in your books?
Speaker 1: So on that big confession. If you've got a problem, I mean, listen to how well we helped Jewels just.
Speaker 2: Dm us other people's problems.
Speaker 1: I love that At Unleashed Dot show on Instagram. I think that's all we've got time for today. If you're listening and thinking, oh my god, I have a friend who really needs to listen to these women, please please share the episode with her. Also, if you're not already following the podcast, it's really easy to go to where you get your podcasts and there's a little plus button.
Speaker 3: Hit its h.
Speaker 1: Hit it and we will be in you literally every Tuesday. If you ever, thank you love us so as we like to say, Juesday. Until then, stay unfiltered, stay unreasonable, and stay UNLEASHEDE Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on