Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by BONDEI Sands Everyday Skincare.
Speaker 2: We're all destined to be unique, because if we're all uniform, there's nothing interesting about it. And if there's something about you that makes you stand out from the rest of the crowd, accept it, Embrace it. And if you want to know what you're passionate about, just search your heart and see what you love to do and what you love. Life is not a race. Life is a journey. Life is like a book. Chapters are like years, pages are like months, and paragraphs are like days.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Seas the Yay Podcast. Busy and happy are not the same thing. We too rarely question what makes the heart seeing. We work, then we rest, but rarely we play and often don't realize there's more than one way. So this is the platform to hear and explore the stories of those who found lives.
Speaker 3: They adore, the good, bad and ugly.
Speaker 1: The best and worst days will bear all the facets of seizing your yay. I'm Sarah Davidson or Spoonful of Sarah, a lawyer turned funentrepreneur who swapped the suits and heels to co found matcha maiden and matcha milk Bar. Cca is a series of conversations on finding a life you love and exploring the self doubt, challenge, joy and fulfillment along the way. Lovely Yighborhood. What a whirlwind few weeks it's been. I can't believe it's already April, and I don't know about you, guys, but I'm counting down until the Easter break to catch up with myself again. It's been so delightful to work with real life people in the flesh and travel around again. Of course, I've gotten over excited as usual, and episodes have been dropping all over the shop between Survivor Yea's of Our Lives and the regular schedule, but I hope it's been keeping things fresh for you and keeping you on your toes. I couldn't be more excited to be back to our regular programming this week with a guest with whom many of us have fallen in love from Afar. I didn't intend it this way, but it's funny how things work out. We recorded this day after his birthday and a few days before mine, plus we're releasing it now during World Autism Awareness Month, kicking off with United Nations sanctioned World Autism Awareness Dage just days ago on April second. YEP, I am so thrilled to have Love on the Spectrum star Michael Theo joining us this week. You might remember Ange and I recommended this brilliant show in the Years of Our Lives episode. It is such a wholesome and uplifting docu series following seven young neurodiverse adults on the Autism Spectrum as they explore the wild.
Speaker 3: World of dating.
Speaker 1: Michael in particular, captured hearts all over the world with his passion for finding his person and constant singers, making his way even onto The Ellen Show and drawing guests on his own podcast, Mister A Plus like stars from his favorite TV show and Mine Brooklyn nine nine. Having only been told about his autism diagnosis at thirteen years old, Michael sees his neurodiversity as a gift, not a burden, and in listening today, I hope you see why. Michael Theo, or should I say, Mister A Plus, Welcome to CEZA.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Sarah, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: It is such an honor and a privilege. I'm really trying hard not to fan girl you right now, but most importantly before we begin, Happy birthday for yesterday.
Speaker 2: Thanks, thank you.
Speaker 1: It's my birthday on Thursday. I think all great people are born in late March. And Ellen got you a Paul Smith suit. I can't do.
Speaker 3: That for you today, she did.
Speaker 1: Yes How did you celebrate celebrate what your birthday?
Speaker 2: We didn't really celebrate yet yet.
Speaker 3: What are you doing? Do you have anything planned?
Speaker 2: Not really, But to be honest, my idea of celebrating my birthday is just having a quiet, low key dinner with a woman one on one.
Speaker 4: I love this.
Speaker 1: I actually have got I'm married, but if I were ever to be single again, I have gained a lot of dating tips and knowledge from listening to your podcast. You've had some incredibly useful advice that you were sharing on the show. So so before we get into your story, which I call your way ta or your path Ya, I ask a little icebreaker at the start of every show. And you've become such a beloved TV star with your own amazing show called Mister a Plus with guests like Stephanie Beatrice from Brooklyn nine nine. So, as I mentioned, I'm fangirling you right now. You've become a global celebrity. But you said in one of your interviews about wanting to know how people are or who they are off screen as well as who they are on screen.
Speaker 3: Yes, so I thought i'd ask, what.
Speaker 1: Is the most down to earth thing about you, the most normal thing that we wouldn't necessarily assume because you're such a celebrity. But what's something that is just really relatable about you?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you some things about me. I absolutely hate loud noises. Really yep.
Speaker 1: What do you love other than Brooklyn nine nine obviously, Well.
Speaker 2: There's several other shows I love. There's news Radio, Thomas the Tank Engine.
Speaker 1: Of course, I heard about Thomas the Tank Engine. Also loved Thomas the Tank.
Speaker 2: Also Modern Family and The Good Place, and The Big Bang.
Speaker 3: Theory Big Bang.
Speaker 1: I also heard you have an idetic memory, so you're basically Sheldon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say.
Speaker 3: That that's incredible.
Speaker 2: To be honest, I'm actually I have a photographic memory with things that I'm passionate about, not about everything.
Speaker 1: Your recall of episodes of Brooklyn nine nine and the script is absolutely incredible. I've heard you do several impressions of several characters. Who's your favorite character?
Speaker 2: Probably Captain Holt and Kevin.
Speaker 3: Right and Cheddar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everybody loves that dog. He's a great dog.
Speaker 3: He's a great dog.
Speaker 2: Oh. And also there's a few things about Amy.
Speaker 3: Ooh, is Amy your ideal girl? Do you think that you date Amy?
Speaker 2: Not exactly. She reminds me too much of a high school student.
Speaker 1: Yes, very highly strung and lots of facial expressions. I think you and Stephanie were talking about her facial expressions.
Speaker 2: Yep. And my mother has a very expressive face as well.
Speaker 1: You said, actually you said in that episode that she reminds you of your mother.
Speaker 2: And they also both have olive skin and Latin jeans because Melissa Fameiro has a Cuban background while my mother is half Italian.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 1: I love your mum. She was so great on the show. Does she have lots of fans as well?
Speaker 2: Yes, because literally everyboy loves my mother.
Speaker 1: Ah, she's become I should get her on the podcast. She sounds like the famous one, I suppose, but she has obviously raised a beautiful human in you, mister A plus. And I think one of the things that happens often when we meet someone through a TV show or through a podcast is we often meet them at a chapter in their lives where it seems like people woke up knowing what they wanted to do or knowing what they're passionate about. But everyone has gone through lots of different chapters and diversions, often to.
Speaker 3: Get to where they are.
Speaker 1: So I like to go back to the very beginning, as you said, to get to know who you are, not what you do, but who you are and what you love and what's given you that feeling of yeah, your whole life. So can you take us back to very young you what you were like as a child. I have heard that you were diagnosed as autistic at five, but you didn't find out until you were thirteen.
Speaker 3: So can you tell us a bit about what your childhood was like.
Speaker 2: Well, in my primary school years, I was constantly off in my own world, and I often sat alone at school by choice because of slights being alone, and plus I didn't have any social skills at the time, and I was barely invited to things as well, compared to the likes of my siblings as well, but also when I got into my high school years, I became more worrisome. As I got into high school and because there was more work to do, and the maps was harder, and the assignments and the exams, and because of the poor levels of maturity of the other students, which I found annoying, I just hated high school in general.
Speaker 1: I think quite a lot of people find that if they don't find that their particular type of intelligence or creativity is appreciated or recognize that, it's not a very nice time of their lives.
Speaker 2: And my mother didn't tell me that I had a SPURGS until I was thirteen, because when I was in primary school, I most likely would not have understood what it was at the time because I was only a kid back then, and again, I was always in my own world. And I can't look back on that with a degree of embarrassment.
Speaker 1: What did it feel like for you when you did understand what aspergers was? And also for those of our listeners who don't know what aspergers is, can you explain a bit about how that might manifest.
Speaker 2: Aspurgs is basically a moldiform of autism. It's a developmental disorder affecting ability to effectively socialize and communicate. Some people with Aspergers have these unique gifts of being able to do puzzles extremely well, in less probably maybe in less time than some people. And they have repetitive and restricted interests by choice, as I did too. The only thing is they just have social issues, but they just can't help that.
Speaker 1: Did you find once you found out that you had asperges that it helped explain things to you? Was it hard for you to process or was it a good thing to find out?
Speaker 2: Well, it didn't bother me much really, because my mother explained it thoroughly enough, and I never really saw it as a hindrance or a burden for that matter, just something that I instantly came to terms with.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: I've heard you say a couple of times that, even though autism and any of the conditions on the spectrum can be quite misunderstood in broader society, I love that you have always really seen it as a gift more than a burden. Why do you see it as a gift? Can explain what you mean by that?
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, that's just my personal perception of it. Because I have a photographic memory, I'm able to remember scenes from films or shows and lines almost instantly, and I'm very knowledgeable about certain things aren't passionate about, like railways, animals, and acting.
Speaker 1: And France and Germany. I hear no England in Germany. I hear that you're very knowledgeable about Well, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not exactly knowledgeable about it. I'm just passionate about the cultures, right. It's because the thing is I've just never been interested in history.
Speaker 1: That's really interesting. But you find like the current culture and the languages. Is that what you find interesting?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just don't really find the past cultures. Well, let's just say that there have been times where they haven't been the best.
Speaker 1: One thing I think you have become a really wonderful role model for many people around the world now, is teaching us to embrace our differences and what makes us unique rather than trying to suppress those things. And I think for a lot of our life we try and fit in, so we try and be the same as everyone else. What do you say to people who, whether it's because of being on the spectrum or any other reason why they might be different, that they're trying to fit in during school or university, what advice would you give to people about getting comfortable with who you are.
Speaker 2: Let me just say I'm going to put this very bluntly. God loves uniqueness. We're all destined to be unique, because if we're all uniform, there's nothing interesting about it. And if there's something about you that makes you stand out from the rest of the crowd, accept it, embrace it. And if those people can't accept you for who you are or what you are, and they're obviously the wrong crowd. Only the right crowd will accept you for who you are and what you are, regardless of whatever differences you guys have, because only true friends really accept you for who you really are.
Speaker 1: That's incredible advice. I feel like all of us need to write that down and reflect on it every day.
Speaker 2: And those people that can't even bring themselves to accept you for who you are, that's their problem. They can just, you know, take it with someone else.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: So when did you first decide that you were passionate about acting? I know that that's something that you aspire to become and to work in. I find it really interesting how we form our interests. When did you know you wanted to get into entertainment or the media.
Speaker 2: When I was a very little kid. I don't remember what age, but I was extremely young back then.
Speaker 1: Did you have a role model? Was there someone who was an actor that you wanted to become.
Speaker 2: Or be like. Nope, a lot of actors in general, because they're all great. That's why with a lot of my favorite shows, I don't exactly have the biggest highlight of any cast because they're all great.
Speaker 1: And so now that you've become a TV star, I mean you're pretty much already there. How did the opportunity for love on the Spectrum arise?
Speaker 3: What made you say? Yes?
Speaker 2: Well, let me put it this way. I'm with an employment agency called at Work Australia. Norman Pictures contacted them for your potential candidates. They recommended me, but also I repeatedly called Norman Pictures because I was so eager to get on the show. Well because I saw it as a goal and opportunity to help me find a partner. Yes, I didn't do this for fame and I only did it as a chance to find a woman.
Speaker 1: I heard that your biggest dream. I think it was in the first episode when someone asked what's your dream? What do you want to be when you grow up? And you said a husband.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's still one of my goals. But I've also got two more.
Speaker 3: What are your other girls becoming?
Speaker 2: An actor and also have in my own place.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Oh amazing. So back to the first goal, becoming a husband. You mentioned that one of the challenges with having Asperger's is to be able to express yourself in social context the way that you might like to and that that had been hard when you were trying to find a partner before the show. How did being on the show change that? Did you learn a lot of things? You got to chat to some amazing people.
Speaker 2: It just basically gave me opportunities to meet you people, and it made me led to me making friends outside the show and also maybe decide the kind of things I would like a woman.
Speaker 3: What are those things?
Speaker 2: Well, she basically has to be a beautiful, loving woman with a pure heart to come from a good family, and she also has to handle being an actor's wife. If she can't, that's kind of a deal breaker.
Speaker 1: It is a deal breaker, right, And how do you? I think a lot of the world has fallen in love with you because you were very smooth on some of.
Speaker 3: Your dates that you went on the show.
Speaker 1: What were some of your favorite memories from being on the show.
Speaker 2: Being Dawn Wells was the biggest highlight?
Speaker 1: Oh, I loved that episode. She signed your book, didn't she.
Speaker 2: She did, yes, but that was actually a cookbook that she published back in nineteen ninety three. Wow, I bought it secondhand on eBay.
Speaker 3: Really well, now you could sell it with her signature.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's not going to happen.
Speaker 1: So some really cool things have happened to you since being on the show, not only being out of practice dating, but also you've been interviewed by Ellen, and only the most famous people in the world get to go on Allen.
Speaker 3: What was that like?
Speaker 2: That was quite an honor. Even my mother was outside my quarters this room, getting all excited like a fifteen year old woman. Unsurprisingly, I was composed the whole time, so composed. That's because I also want to make celebrities be aware that there are some people in the world that are already aware that that celebrities aren't gods. They're just normal people like the rest of us. But if I ever did encounter celebrity in the streets, instead of asking for an autograph or a selfie, what I'd rather do is preferably have a meal with them and get to know them what they're like offscreen, absolutely, and not ask them for any favors.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: I think that's why you have such a great podcast, Because you have I've been able to get a lot of celebrities on the show, big famous celebrities, but you're so interested in who they are. You don't go straight to the normal questions that they get. You have really meaningful conversations and they relax. They sound like they relax with you very quickly.
Speaker 2: And what kind of questions normal questions? Did you mean?
Speaker 1: I just think that it's beautiful that you know, you made them really relaxed. Do you ask them about what it was like behind the scenes. You didn't ask them really gushy questions like what's it like being famous? Or you know, you seem very cool. Do you ever get nervous?
Speaker 2: Nope? Really I just feel excited and on it.
Speaker 1: What about before the TV show? Did you watch the show? Did you watch yourself back?
Speaker 2: Yes? I did, but it kind of felt weird because it's kind of weird watching yourself on screen.
Speaker 3: What did it feel like?
Speaker 2: It was kind of cringing a lot because it was new. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did you feel better in season two? Were you more familiar with watching yourself?
Speaker 3: For?
Speaker 2: Not really more familiar, but I sometimes tend to what others think, because I'm sensitive to the feelings of others.
Speaker 3: Yes, it stands out that you're very empathetic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially when I'm around women, because they're extremely sentimental.
Speaker 3: Why do you think you would make a great husband?
Speaker 2: Because I don't drink, I don't gamble, I don't smoke, I don't take drugs. I save my money, I use it wisely, and because my father raised me to be a gentleman, both my parents did, and because I have chivalry.
Speaker 1: Apparently, yes, you do. What do you mean apparently? Have people told you that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just rather be humble about it rather than making it sound like it like it's boastful.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think you're very humble. Given that you have fans from all over the world. The most recent episode on your podcast, I heard there was a fan from Germany who wrote you a letter.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I wouldn't say wrote a letter. They just send me an email.
Speaker 3: Oh that's similar, Yeah it is, but the more modern way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right. What would you say is your ideal date.
Speaker 2: Basically having a beautiful dinner somewhere fancy and go borom dancing afterwards bom dancing, and then spend some alone time together after that amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, I've also heard, because you are so humble and you are very chivalrous, that you tend to play down a lot of your achievements as well. But I want to hear what are some of the things you've been able to achieve since the show?
Speaker 2: Well has ellen, of course huge, and I've had fans on Instagram messaging me saying they've wanted to send me gifts, you know, crystals shirts. I know, it's.
Speaker 3: So cool.
Speaker 2: I kiss it.
Speaker 3: And you're still in Wollongong.
Speaker 2: Yep, still living in Wollongong.
Speaker 3: It's a beautiful part of the world. I love Wollongong.
Speaker 2: I suppose it is, but I've also somewhat outgrown it a bit.
Speaker 3: Yes, well you are mister a plus.
Speaker 2: Now whereabouts are you based in Melbourne? Oh? Melbourne, But I.
Speaker 1: Come to Sydney. My best friend lives in Sydney and every now and then we'll go for a little road trip, you know, into New South Wales. And I've spent some time in Wollongong because it's such a beautiful part of the world.
Speaker 3: I didn't see you there, though, I was very disappointed.
Speaker 1: When was this it was alone before the show, it was a long time since I've.
Speaker 2: Been I was a nobody back then.
Speaker 3: I don't think you were a nobody. How has it changed you?
Speaker 2: It's kind of exposed me a lot more in Australia but also around the world, and now I've finally become somebody that women want to take notice of.
Speaker 3: They do. Do you like that?
Speaker 2: Yes? But before the show, they most likely would not have had any interest whatsoever.
Speaker 1: For anyone who doesn't watch the show, I've recommended it actually on this show as a source of ya for particularly, we've had a bit of a hard few years and you bring so much positivity and warmth and your show brings a lot of joy and yay to people. But for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, why do you think it's a really special show? Why do you think it went so well around the world?
Speaker 2: Mostly because it's very different to The Bachelor and Mardi First, Silent Love, Islent all those shows. This show wasn't done for drama. This was done authentically.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think personally I didn't necessarily understand the variety and the diversity of how autism can manifest and how differently it impacts people. But also I think humanized and normalized people who aren't neurotypical and made the mainstream, you know, the mainstream media kind of help us all understand. Are there any ways that you think people misunderstood aspergers before that they now understand better.
Speaker 2: I'm not too sure. Actually, not really an expert on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are you an expert on? Then let's talk about things that make you?
Speaker 2: YEA, maybe Gilligan's Island.
Speaker 3: I've heard that.
Speaker 1: And you dressed up as someone from Gilligan's Island for Comic Con?
Speaker 2: Is that right? That's called Super and Over? And I was dressed as the skipper right as a tribute to the to the actor who played in Rip, and also because dorn Wells and that actor Alan Hale Jr. They were very close in reality. And he reminded both me and her of our dads.
Speaker 3: What do your parents think about you being famous?
Speaker 2: They're actually all cool with it? Are they?
Speaker 3: Do they get stopped in the street? Like, oh, you're Michael's parents.
Speaker 2: Actually, my mother gets stopped on occasion, but I get stopped more than they do. Right, my dad is more of a private person. Okay, he's kind of camera shy as well, is he? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do they share your love for Brooklyn ninety nine, and do you guys watch this set?
Speaker 5: Really?
Speaker 3: So you do watch it by yourself?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh no.
Speaker 2: And also I'm one of the few people in this world that doesn't use streaming services. I'm one of the few people that still uses a DVD player.
Speaker 1: I heard that, Oh my gosh, and you're waiting what was I listening to? You were waiting for something new to come out on DVD. You hadn't watched the latest season, and I think, Chelsea PERETTI couldn't believe that you still have a DVD player.
Speaker 2: Actually that was the eighth season I was waiting on. But I finally but I've finally seen it.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk Brooklyn nine nine because this is it's my favorite show. Okay, what is your favorite episode?
Speaker 2: I don't really have a favorite episode. A lot of them are great.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, what do you think is the scene you're the best at replicating? I want to see your acting skills come out in this episode?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 2: Okay. There was one called Return of the King, which was directed by Melissa Fumero. If I do an impression of Terry Jeffers, I'm not going to sound exactly like him, because that could be taken the wrong way. Gina became an internet celebrity and she hadn't spoken to anyone from the Nine to nine in months, But Jake got a call from her out of the blue, and Terry became suspicious of her motives.
Speaker 4: Ah, I remember this one when she.
Speaker 2: Asked them they want to hang out a bar and have drinks together. That night, Terry and Jake had a conversation like this. Sorry, I gotta say I'm surprised Gina invited us to drinks tonight. She obviously only invited us over to a place because she needed a favor. Why are you still so down on her? I've been through this before. In college, I had a football buddy, Bryan Ungerbirt. Let me guess you guys were best friends. Then he got drafted into the NFL and now you never talk.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: He got drafted into the Canadian Football League, became a long snapper for Ottawa and even that level success ruined our friendship. He's still playing. How is that possible you're thirty five to sixty years old. It's Canada. They don't tackles hard and anyway, his career became the only thing that mattered. He was offering photo shoots, commercials, speaking at long snapping conventions? Is that a thing in Canada? Is like the Oskers? Look, the point is he stopped making time for his friends. Right, fine, but that's not what's happening here. Nothing has changed of Genus. She's not an Ungerbert.
Speaker 1: Did you do that whole thing without a script in front of you?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 3: How do you remember that?
Speaker 2: I just watched that scene a few times and it just sinks in.
Speaker 3: That is amazing.
Speaker 2: But if you really want to see my acting skills, I got to show what else I can do. I er that film The Grinch with Jim Carrey. I sure do mind if I do something like that, please do it all right. I'm also gotta do one from a Bug's Life as well, if I.
Speaker 3: May, absolutely. Okay, Okay, I'm ready, Of course they are.
Speaker 2: That's what it's all about.
Speaker 5: Is that's what it's always been about. Gifts, gifts, give us the stuff diffs. You want to know what happens to your gifts? They all come to me in your garbage. You see what I'm saying?
Speaker 6: In your garbage? I gona hang much over all the bad Christmas Necktars. I found the dump and the Averdice, the Averice Neverlands.
Speaker 2: I want diamonds. I want to golf clmbs. I want a diamonds. I want to ponies. I can run it twice, get bored, sell it to make glue, look out and make waves.
Speaker 6: But it's whole Christmas seasons, stupid stoop patch.
Speaker 2: There is, however, one deany tiny Christmas tradition I find quite meaningful. Misshoot Now poker up and cut. Oh my gosh, that was so good. Now I can do another one of him if.
Speaker 1: I'm not absolutely this is the best. Is bringing me so much yay?
Speaker 2: No for those who's in finding me down there, I'm short nourish. Even if I wanted to go, my schedule would allow it. Four o'clock Wallow and self pity. Four point thirty stand in to the Abyss. Five o'clock Solve World Hunger, Tell No. One five point thirty Jesi size six point thirty dealer with me. I can't cancel that again. Seven o'clock wrestle myself loading a boot of above the loading toon nine of the land Badgtore. The Sheilinger slips slowly into madness.
Speaker 3: How do you remember all of those lines?
Speaker 2: Like I said, watch it a few times and then it sinks in.
Speaker 1: You're going to make the most amazing actor because they will won't even have to give you a script. They'll just give it to you once, or they'll play it to you once and then you'll just remember it.
Speaker 2: I'm also able to improvise as well.
Speaker 1: Really do you do improv classes or do you just improvise by yourself?
Speaker 2: Not really by myself? And I just you remember when I mentioned the bugs life? Yeah? Mind, If I do an impression of Hopper, please do because I want to show the audience what I can really also do as well. Absolutely, they've always seen me as formal and professional, but I want to show them what I can also do. But I just want to let you know that this monologue will will sound very angry and probably pretty harsh.
Speaker 3: Okay, mind, if I do it, I'd love to see it.
Speaker 2: You let one an stand up to then they all might stand up. Those puny little ants out number us one hundred to one, and if they ever figure that out, there goes our way of life. It's not about food, It's about keeping those ants in line. That's why we're going back? Does anybody else want to stay? How was that so good?
Speaker 1: It's like you go into character and then your facial expressions, the voice, the tone, everything changes. Yeah, just like that though, and then you just come back out of it.
Speaker 2: It's it's nothing.
Speaker 3: It's amazing. Did you do classes like it?
Speaker 4: To have you?
Speaker 3: Always?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: No? But do this? Ever? Since I was a kid really private at home, I know.
Speaker 3: You just practiced. Is that how you? Because you're doing different characters straight after each other.
Speaker 2: Now I want to do another impression, and I want you to tell me how harsh this one really is? Okay, I want you to tell me. Okay, sure, leaves over, get your sorry carcasses on board. Now how harsh was that?
Speaker 3: Oh? My god?
Speaker 1: You should see the audio blowing out. That's how angry it is. It's like, rah, it is, but in a good way. Oh my gosh. So how did you start doing these impressions? Did you just pick shows that you liked and characters that you like and then.
Speaker 3: Practice their voice?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Of course.
Speaker 1: How did it begin? Was it with Thomas the Tank? Was that your first one?
Speaker 2: Well? That was like one of the first shows I started watching it when I was a kid. I was three years old at the time, so three yeah, so that's now twenty five years.
Speaker 1: There was a new one though, wasn't There was there a new Thomas Thomas and Friends that came out.
Speaker 2: Actually that's the original show. Now there's a reboot, which in my book is terrible.
Speaker 3: Okay, you're a purist. Do you like the original versions?
Speaker 2: Yes? Just like with Disney films, the remaining to say, to capture the authenticity and the purity and the wholesomeness of the originals.
Speaker 3: Can I agree? I agree?
Speaker 1: I am like original The Lion King, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, all of those. I don't want the remake. I'm sure they're great, but the original in two D with a you know, all the characters look like one pixel. I don't care love.
Speaker 2: It, although with the Disney films, are not really too interested in The Little Mermaid.
Speaker 3: What are your favorite Disney films?
Speaker 2: Alison won Land one hundred and one Dalmatians. Oh, I love that one. Who doesn't It's so good? Even The Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Tangled, both Frozen films because I'm actually quite a closet fan of them.
Speaker 1: Frozen, I feel like is new generation, though it's recent, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you're in the closet about it. You don't tell people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well sort of because it's not exactly something a man would watch.
Speaker 1: Do you know what, though, I feel like you've taught me a lot about masculinity through watching the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people around the world have seen a real gentleman in you in a way that they don't see on other dating shows, and it's very refreshing.
Speaker 2: Thanks. And I also learned something as well. If a man says to a woman, we'll talk about it later, do you know what he actually means?
Speaker 3: What does he mean?
Speaker 2: That's more of a man's way of saying I don't want to talk about it at all. Ever.
Speaker 3: Again, I'm slowly learning that.
Speaker 2: But also the other thing is a lot of some men just can't be bothered putting in at least five or ten minutes to listen to their permit to what she has to say is probably important.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I think you would be a very good listener as a partner, a very good listener. But she would have to like Disney films, though.
Speaker 2: Obviously not necessarily.
Speaker 1: Really, that's not a deal breaker, no is acting. She'd have to be able to listen to your impressions.
Speaker 2: Though, Well, if she doesn't like or appreciate my acting work, that's kind of a turnoff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. If you could date a Disney princess, who would you date?
Speaker 2: Uh that's a bit of a tough one.
Speaker 3: It's hard. They're all amazing, But.
Speaker 2: Most likely I would probably choose Anna.
Speaker 3: Really, yep, there you go.
Speaker 1: I would have thought like Jasmine or Belle Belle so sweet?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Do you sing the songs or do you just do? Do you do any Disney impressions?
Speaker 2: Depends I well, depends on the characters. But I am surprisingly able to do guests on.
Speaker 3: I think, please do show.
Speaker 2: But I don't share his views though.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a good distinction. He's a bit of he's not necessarily very fuorous.
Speaker 2: You're right, Okay, said this to Belle. Picture this a rusty canning lodge, my latest kill roasting on the fire, my little wife massaging my feet. Well, the little ones play on the floor with the dogs. We will have six or seven. I remember that saying she thought he meant dogs, but he was like, no bell strapping boys like me.
Speaker 1: That light was so good, it was Yes, I remember that part of the movie so distinctly, and her face is going when he goes and you can massage my feet, and her face goes.
Speaker 2: Oh, six or seven sons, Oh, i'ld hate that?
Speaker 3: Would you like kids?
Speaker 2: I've never really dreamed of being a father, but I am kind of open to it.
Speaker 3: But not six or seven. That's too many. Two is enough, lovely neighborhood.
Speaker 1: You might remember our incredible guest from episode one hundred and fifteen, Blair James, who started out in a town of just one thousand people, only to grow Bondi Sands to over fifty products in a whopping thirty thousand retailers worldwide. Since then, Bondi Sands has launched an incredible everyday skincare range packed with Australian botanicals that has something for every skin type, even the sensitive ones like mine. I love an Aussi business, as you all know, especially one that serves up that glow all within one hundred percent recyclable post consumer packaging, and the range itself has options to cleanse, treat, hydrate, protect and mask, with packaging colors and shapes to identify each one. And there's a skincare quiz online to help you choose what's right for you. My favorites are the Golden Hour Brightening Vitamin C Serum, Bondai Babe purifying clay mask, especially with all the travel and makeup at work at the moment, and most importantly, there's Sunny Days hydrating SPF fifty plus moisturizer. Suncare is so incredibly important for our skin as we all know. I'll pop the link in the show notes for you to check it out. So for anyone else out there who is looking for love and who maybe watched Love on the Spectrum and loved watching you date and figure out what you love in a partner and what you don't like in a partner, do you have any advice on dating and finding love.
Speaker 2: Well, don't give up. And if you have an opportunity to meet somebody or go on a day with someone, take it. See what they're like, test the waters, see what they like as people. But don't be hasty enough to rush into things. Just give people a chance and just enjoy yourselves as well.
Speaker 1: And what about people who have big goals like starting a podcast or being an actor and maybe face some obstacles of people either underestimating you because of ours spurgers or I think a lot of us face barriers in different way to our confidence. But you've obviously gone on and even though one of the challenges for you has been social skills, you've had some amazing conversations on your show.
Speaker 2: Well with this, with the podcasting and acting thing. I don't really have much advice because I didn't work for ane of those things. They just came.
Speaker 3: Well, you're very good at them.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 3: Was it a goal to have a podcast?
Speaker 2: No, it was really well, my agent asked me. Well, she simply said to me that a lot of other people wanted to get me on their podcast because of Love and the Spectrum, and then she asked me, why don't you have your own that I thought about it for quite a few weeks, and so maybe I should.
Speaker 1: I think you're very good at it, particularly since it wasn't on the cards, like you didn't train for it or prepare for it.
Speaker 2: Well, the best thing about being a podcaster is just interview your guests as casually but also with some formality as well, and also make it a safe space where they can feel comfort and that words are welcome.
Speaker 3: That's excellent advice, but.
Speaker 2: Also just be mindful of what you say on podcasts.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it comes with some responsibility and also knowing that the episodes will be online forever. Maybe you know you do have to create a safe space for people.
Speaker 2: And if you have producers that work with you on the podcast, show them that you appreciate the hard work. Absolutely, And because I'm not a one man crew.
Speaker 3: There's a whole mister, A plus team, isn't there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if it wasn't for them, the podcast would never have been possible.
Speaker 1: You said to Stephanie Beatrice, I think that you would love to have the whole cast of Brooklyn nine nine and Sophia Vegara on the show. Who's your dream guest list?
Speaker 2: Well, I want to interview all the cast members of my favorite shows, but also my dream male guest is Mark Evan Jackson.
Speaker 3: Who's that I heard of him?
Speaker 2: Oh? For God's sake, why do some people not know who he is?
Speaker 3: Maybe if he went on your podcast, we would all know who he is.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me ask you this. You've seen Brooklyn, you've seen Brooklyn nine nine. You know who Kevin Costner is, then you should know who Mark Evan Jackson is.
Speaker 3: Who is Mark Evin Jackson.
Speaker 2: He plays Kevin Cosser for God's.
Speaker 1: Sake, oh in nine nine. Yes, Oh, my gosh, of course I know him. So he's he's your ultimate male guest you'd love on the show.
Speaker 2: Yes. In fact, he's one of my biggest inspirations for comedy. Wow, because his voice is so dry, dead pan and flat.
Speaker 3: Un Like my dad, he is very dead pan.
Speaker 1: He's so funny when he speaks to Holt, Captain Holt, Raymond, can you please do your impression?
Speaker 3: I think you did it for me before.
Speaker 2: Sure, Look Raymond a yellow christ support. Look.
Speaker 3: Oh they're so funny. They're such a good couple.
Speaker 2: Yes they are.
Speaker 1: You also spoke to Stephanie a lot. She really opened up to you about coming at as bisexual, and obviously Raymond Holt and Kevin Costner.
Speaker 3: Are a gay couple.
Speaker 1: I think that's also a point of difference that people are learning to celebrate rather than suppress. How do you create a safe space for people on your show?
Speaker 2: Well, I might have said this before, but I actually support the LGBT community because they deserve rights, they deserve to be treated equally, and it's not going to be ashamed about. In fact, I'm actually friends with some people that are part of that community.
Speaker 3: Like Stephanie is a friend of yours. Now I think.
Speaker 2: I would say so. In fact, I'm actually also feel a fan of Encanto.
Speaker 3: Yes, she did the voice, didn't she for one of the main character.
Speaker 2: Yep, she did.
Speaker 4: That's so cool.
Speaker 2: In fact, not only does she have a Colombian background, but also Sophia Viagara does. Of course, her character on Modern Family always reminds me of my mother.
Speaker 3: Really, yeah, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: You should imagine if you could get her on the podcast, what would you ask her?
Speaker 2: Pretty much Rea sent all the questions to what I asked my guests, but also take that opportunity to introduce her to my mother.
Speaker 3: Right, do you think they get along?
Speaker 2: Yep? Then I would say to my mother, now I can finally put my case to sleep.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Well, as you know the name of this podcast is the which is a play on Caesar Day. So sort of swapping, yeah, swapping the normal metrics that a lot of people measure their lives on, like success or money or milestones and goals, which are important. But I think joy and fulfillment and whether you're happy and healthy and have loved ones around you is much more important in life.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course, but money is also important because money is a tool. Money is what we need to pay bills, put food on the table, and afford things that we need and also want for personal pleasure. Money doesn't buy everything. It just buys the things that we need need to afford. Money is just a tool. That's it.
Speaker 3: That's so true. It's not your value.
Speaker 1: It's not a reflection of your worth or and it's also not It doesn't equal happiness. I think some people think it will bring them joy on its own.
Speaker 2: For rich men, money means power, But for someone like myself, money means security and thus securing my chances of settling down with a woman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and finding your person.
Speaker 2: Exactly, because if I don't have money, how am I supposed to provide for my wife, let alone kids.
Speaker 3: And especially if there's six or seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd be a terrible provider, not to mention a crap husband and also a crap father.
Speaker 1: You will be a wonderful husband and a wonderful father. Well, I think you would.
Speaker 2: Because if I'm ever going to be a father, I want the best for my kids like my father did. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I think one thing that because money is a bit of a distraction. I think it distracts people in society quite a bit.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 3: What advice do you have?
Speaker 1: You're very clear on what you're passionate about and what brings you yay. A lot of people don't know what makes them happy. They're so distracted that they don't even know what they like and they can't find their passion and they're unhappy in their job. And you know, this podcast for me is having conversations with people who know what makes them yay and how they got there to inspire others. What advice do you have? How do you find what makes you passionate? How do you make time for your hobbies and what makes you passionate?
Speaker 2: Let me put it this way, you can't prioritize your work life. You need to have a work life balance. Another important thing is you still need to make time for your family and friends even when you are busy, because family and friendships are both important, but also rent these days is ridiculously expensive. And look at me. I'm twenty eight now and I still live in my parents even though it makes me feel like I'm still behind in life, but people around me have told me that it's nothing to be embarrassed about.
Speaker 3: Absolutely not.
Speaker 2: And if you want to know what you're passionate about, just search your heart and see what you love to do and what you love.
Speaker 3: That's amazing advice.
Speaker 2: For example, if you're to give a speech at a wedding, don't write a rehearse speech. Just search your heart and say what you're feeling.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that you touched on feeling behind, and I think that also distracts people a lot from joy because they feel like they've got to hustle all the time and never rest and never make time for happiness.
Speaker 2: But that's a ridiculous way to live, isn't it. Life is not a race. Life is a journey. Life is like a book. Chapters are like years, pages are like months, and paragraphs are like days in a week.
Speaker 3: That's such a beautiful analogy. I've never heard anyone say that.
Speaker 2: And a sentence in a paragraph is like maybe an hour of a day.
Speaker 3: Oh, that was beautiful, Michael.
Speaker 2: People should start looking at life is like a book.
Speaker 1: Absolutely well, I'm so grateful for your time. That was the most beautiful quote to end on. I usually ask people for their favorite quote, but I feel like that was a beautiful quote. Your own quote was more beautiful than any quote than you could pick.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Is there anything you would like to leave the audience with about seizing your yea or finding your joy?
Speaker 2: All I can say is don't always put work first time for your family and friends even when you are busy, because that's what I do. And make time for yourself as well. You can't spend your whole life being a people pleaser because it's just not possible. And in the world of dating, when you get yourself the best catch, do not throw him or her back. Cherish your partner, show them every day how much you love and care for them. Don't tell them, show them, whether it's making them a meal, or taking them out somewhere, or giving them a gift of some sort anything. And in life, always stay safe, take care of yourself and always stay true to yourself as well. Don't try to be something or not, but also chase your dreams if you have them. Don't let anyone stand between you and your destiny. And also very importantly, live life to the fullest the best you can. Amazing, but working in hustling all the time is not going to cut it.
Speaker 1: You're right well that was just a beautiful way to end. I think everyone should watch Love on the Spectrum if they haven't or listened to mister A Plus. I'll make sure to put the links to your podcast in the show notes. Is there anything else coming up that we should look out for from you? Or just follow the podcast and see what.
Speaker 3: You're up to.
Speaker 2: Well, just keep following the podcast because there'll be episodes released every week, no question, no doubt. And I'm still pursuing acting as a career. That's one of my biggest goals for this year. And there is something going on in the pipeline, but I can't really reveal too much at the moment.
Speaker 3: Well, that's exciting.
Speaker 2: But in the very near future, I do intend to visit England.
Speaker 3: England that you're obsessed with.
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh my gosh, how exciting have you been before?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: No, oh, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: My mum is the same as you, obsessed with England, Obsessed everything English. She goes once a year. She saves all her money to be in England once a year, and she just it's like in another life she lived there or something. She just feels at home there. She loves the culture, the history, the Royals. She loves the Royal family. We have English tea, we have everything is English.
Speaker 3: She's obsessed. So I hope you have the most amazing time.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Sarah, and hopefully i'll meet a woman there.
Speaker 4: Imagine a British wife for you.
Speaker 2: Yep, an English rose An English.
Speaker 3: It's all right.
Speaker 1: Well, we've all got our fingers and toast cross for you. Thank you so much for joining. This was absolutely wonderful.
Speaker 2: It's my pleasure, Sarah. Thank you for inviting me. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Michael truly is a special soul and what a wonderful person to help shift societal misconceptions about mirror diversity. It was a real privilege he said yes to jumping on the show. So if you enjoyed listening, please do take a screenshot right now, Do it now and share particularly this month and tag at mister A plus Michael all with hyphens in between each word, to thank him for his time and wisdom, and to keep growing the neighborhood as far and wide as possible. I always forget to ask, or even when I remember, it is so awkward. But if you haven't yet and feel like drawing me a belated birthday present. Reviews are really what helps us keep getting guests like Michael, so please do take a second, if you haven't already, to leave one on the Apple podcast app if it feels right. We've got so much lined up in the coming week, so I cannot wait to share with you guys, And in the meantime, I hope you're seizing your yay e