Speaker 1: You're listening to a Muma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Muma Mea acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 1: I think the first five times I played that song, I broke down. Afterwards we had to play it at the very end, and now we still play at the very end because that's just a remnant of me crying after us. But I was also so sweaty that he has just kind of went into the sweat and no one would notice it was.
Speaker 2: Okay, hello, and welcome to But are you Happy? The podcast that asks the questions you've always wanted to know from the people who appear to have it all. Dave Bailey is a musician and the lead singer of British indie rock band Glass Animals, whose music you've most definitely heard. Glass Animals had the number one song in the world with heat Waves, which went viral on TikTok and was number one in the Triple J Hottest one hundred and twenty twenty before topping charts all over the world world, including in the US. It was the top of the Billboard Hot one hundred for five weeks in twenty twenty two, and it actually broke the record for the longest charting song on the Hot one hundred of all time, longer than anything by Taylor Swift or Beyonce or Ed Sheeran. Glass Animals were performing in Sydney around the time we recorded this, and our producer Tarlie went to the show. She asked a few people why they love Glass Animals so much and what their music means to them.
Speaker 3: I love them so much because I feel like their music has accompanied so many important moments of my life, and whenever I listen to that, I think about like the triumphs and the sadness, and the friendships and the relationships that have sort of bloomed around that music. Daved writes some most beautiful, heartfelt lyrics, and the nostalgia just takes me back, and like the heartache just brings me forward.
Speaker 2: I've been listening to him for the boss six seven years now, just really takes me back and looking forward to what they've got to offer over the next couple of.
Speaker 3: Months, transformation over what ten fifteen years, We're looking back at what our.
Speaker 4: Favorite songs are, and my favorite songs are kind of from the first album.
Speaker 3: So we went to their show in twenty seventeen in London, so it was really kind of nostalgic.
Speaker 2: Dave Bailey is a fascinating human being. I caught him in a moment in his life where he's really grappling with meaning and purpose and whether his pursuit of music is ultimately selfish.
Speaker 1: I've been asking myself that questions like is this a selfish thing to do? Should I have stuck with what I was doing? Was that more selfless? Would that help more people? Because ultimately, wanting to be a doctor, I wanted to help people.
Speaker 2: Dave was studying medicine when he decided to take a break to pursue music, and he was always tossing up whether to go back. Then he wrote the biggest song in the world. What does that feel like for Dave? His career changed and his life changed, but not necessarily in the way you'd expect. When he sings heat Waves on stage in front of crowds at Glastonbrie or Coachella, it means something very different to him than what it means to other people in that crowd.
Speaker 1: And then there's a subject matter of the song, like hearing it everywhere? Is it kind of haunted by this? This thing.
Speaker 2: Here's my chat with Dave Bailey. Dave Bailey, you are the lead singer for Glass Animals, and indie rock band that a lot of listeners will know from your biggest hit single, heat Waves, which you wrote and produced. Heat Waves went viral on TikTok it won the Triple J Hottest one hundred in twenty twenty. Australia has a bit of a claim to being the tastemakers when it comes to that, and it stayed at the top of charts all over the world for years. In January twenty twenty two, it was the most played song globally on Spotify. You were nominated for Best New Artist at the Grammys in twenty twenty two. Nominated for two brit Awards. You've played festivals like Coachella and Glastonbury. You've reached what some might consider the peak of a career in music. Behind all that, I wanted to start by asking how are you right now?
Speaker 1: Right now? Yeah, I'm I've just come off a plane. I feel really good. I'm really excited to be here. Mainly, I feel like Australia has always had a special place in my heart Because a lot of things began here.
Speaker 2: Why do you think that is? Why does Australia seem to get it quicker than everybody else?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think you've got a really amazing creative network here, from musicians to people like yourself, and it's just a very positive creative force and backing here. That's really Yes, it's a special place and things tend to like happen here at first when it wasn't working anywhere else in the world. It Yeah, I've actually I've got a tattoo of Australia my bum.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I saw an interview about that and they couldn't work out do you have Tasmania on the right side?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, because there was billion times because I think it was a mirror to the photo. So they were like, we don't want to be rude about your tattoo, but Tasmania is not on that side.
Speaker 1: I checked so many unless the tattoo artists did me dirty, I'm pretty sure I've checked so many times. I think I took that picture in a mirror.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, yes, yes, okay, good, but.
Speaker 1: I'm I haven't. I can't look at it. It's just one of those places like trying to look at your own.
Speaker 2: The story of your career is a fascinating one because while a lot of people might have discovered you in twenty twenty and beyond, you'd released your first EP eight years before that, and you'd achieved success in the music industry. So in twenty fourteen you had a single go platinum. In twenty sixteen, your album How to Be a Human Being was nominated for the Mercury Prize. But then in twenty twenty two you have the biggest song in the world. And I'm fascinated by how those two versions of success feel. And are you happier? Are you tangibly happier when you've done what you unconsciously probably wanted to do your whole life?
Speaker 1: I guess that's quite a big question, is that what I wanted to do my whole life? Is that the meaning of success? I don't know. Like success for me was always being able to make another album or keep making music in the first place. Such a privilege to be able to make music at all. For me, it's always been a thing that you do as a hobby, as the extra curricular. I grew up in that kind of household, so to be able to call it like a job because it feels really strangely even say it, but it is a career, oh gosh.
Speaker 2: And so when heat Waves happened, it's a new level of success in that you probably know I can keep doing this for a bloody long time, that you've reached the peak of commercial success in music. From the outside, does that feel different?
Speaker 1: I guess there's a certain amount of like security that comes from that. But I think the real kind of joy of it comes from the freedom that the success of that song allowed, which was I don't think anyone expected it. I think we'd kind of made these slightly underground records very much on our own, and we're given a lot of freedom and making those records, and then when something like this popped out of it, people were like, I don't know what you did, but go ahead and keep doing it, and that is an amazing thing. Like that is really lucky.
Speaker 2: And do you feel like the success of it was because it came from that authentic place where it didn't have a lot of different people in it. When it comes to your music, you're quite independent in how you do it. Do you think there was something about the core of that authenticity that made it resonate possibly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been thinking about a lot. I always wonder why that one, But I think I think it is that. I think the first record was I didn't know anyone in music, didn't know anything about music. I was just making music alone in a bedroom, like really quietly at night, and really shy about it. And you can hear that in the first record, and it's not very personal, very abstract. Second album, it's kind of stories about other people that I'd met. And then this third album was much more personal, personal stories but memories, and this song spun out of there and it was probably the most personal of that collection of songs album three, and it just made me realize that it's okay to write like really personal stuff. It made me realized that that's actually what resonates the most. I was always too shy to do it myself, But now that I've seen iterienced it, I see that, like a lot of my favorite songs, favorite artists, I'm a huge Beach Boys fan, those are really personal songs.
Speaker 2: Coming up after the break, Dave talks about the story behind his number one song, heat Waves, and the tension that comes from garnering enormous success off the back of one of the biggest tragedies in your life. Heat Waves is about losing a friend, Is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And it must be quite surreal to be performing a song that gives people a lot of happiness. When you're performing it, people are in the moment experiencing joy, but the subject matter of the song is not necessarily that. How do you go with navigating the tension between having a song that's about dark subject matter make people happy.
Speaker 1: It's tough. You have to onto that happiness when you see the happiness in people's faces, but it's not always happiness that Sometimes you see someone in the front road crying and it hits you and you I think the first five times I played that song, I broke down afterwards. We had to play it at the very end, and now we still play at the very end because that's just a remnant of me crying afterwards. But I was also so sweaty that tears just kind of went into the sweat and no one would notice, as it was okay. There's an optimistic side to the song, and you have to latch onto that. It's like you're trying to remember the good things and be positive about a situation that is absolutely awful. Yeah, and you just cling onto it for dear life until the song's over. That's the trick.
Speaker 2: And when you were writing it, you were also going through a really difficult time because one of your band members, Joe, had an accident in Dublin. Yeah, how did you cope with that? And how scary did it get in terms of thinking that music might be over and that glass animals might not be a thing anymore.
Speaker 1: It was very scary. I did think it was over for a while. As soon as it happened, I went like straight out. So I didn't realize quite how awful the accident was until I got there because his dad called me. I remember the phone call like vividly, and I it was like book the flight for like six am the next morning. Got there. His dad had played it down so much on the phone, so I didn't sink until that exact moment when I saw his face and wow, I mean this is going to sound a bit graphic, but like this he'd been hit by a truck basically, so like seeing the state of his head was so so shocking, and that was when I was like, I obviously jumped first, like is he going to be okay, and then a few days later it starts to think, like, gosh, all of this stuff is going to fall apart around it. It was sad, and we didn't know for about a week.
Speaker 2: God, and you were studying medicine before you went in to music, so you actually kind of knew how scary a brain injury could be. What were your fears everything.
Speaker 1: I think my fear was that what really was most likely to happen would happen. I think there was a very very good ninety five percent chance that a very large amount of brain damage would have happened. Yeah, if he survived. It was that level of accident, And that's your fear that your friend has gone and I've lost a couple of friends, and then losing another one, especially best friend, like that was just going to be There was going to be a lot.
Speaker 2: Do you think moments like that as horrifying as they are, do you think they put things in to perspective that, for example, there's almost something poetic about something so horrific happening. Then you achieve all this success, and you probably have a really good sense of what's important and what's not important because you had been.
Speaker 1: Through that hugely. Yeah, I think it just made me feel absurdly lucky to be able to make music at all and do anything at all with Joe. Yeah, it's incredibly It's a very lucky, very lucky position.
Speaker 2: And is he okay now?
Speaker 1: He's amazing Now? Basically he had one surgery that just changed the whole trajectory of his recovery. And shout out to this amazing surgeon who came to the last show we did. It was an island show, lived in Ireland, and the surgeon came to the show and it was just like everyone was looking around at each other crying. Joe's dad was there with the surgeon. They were like embracing, weeping. And then I looked up and I was embracing, and we've been I looked over at show. I was like okay, and he was like, yeah, what's wrong. It's like.
Speaker 2: When you met your bandmates, you were at school and you were stunnying medicine. Yeah, so then you dropped out of medicine to pursue music. Did you ever feel like you'd made a mistake?
Speaker 1: Many times? My mum certainly did. She asked for about five six years after that, she was asking me if I was going to go back. When I was going back, she asked my friends when I was going to go back. She begged my friends to tell me to go back. There are times that was one of them. We didn't know if Joe would make a full, full recovery, and I didn't think that we'd go on as a band without him. So there was a moment there where I was I didn't think it was a mistake dropping out, but I did think that there are moments like that where I thought it was over where, even after the first album came out. Actually, so that's pre Joe's accident. I was kind of it went well, but it wasn't hugely successful at the beginning. It took a minute, It took a long time actually, and then it took like two years. Yeah, so as soon as it came out, I was like, Okay, that was a really fun I'm probably gonna end up going back.
Speaker 2: The choice between staying at UNI and studying and doing music. Was that a choice you made based on what made you happy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot about happiness in there. That was a big turning point in my life. A lot happened in my life at that point, that's kind of where that heat Wave song came in. My best friend had ended his life at that point, and I was like, I've just got to take a break and rethink things I need to focus on that. I actually couldn't because it was like exam period. So I did the exams and I was like, I'm taking a year out. I have to absorb everything that's happened and makes sense of all this. And he was always the person who encouraged me to do music. Wow, And I was like, I'm just gonna keep rolling with it, see what happens. And he was right, yeah, how old were you? I was twenty at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so you choose to do music.
Speaker 1: But I went to the head of the university. It was like, can I take a year to go do this music? And she laughed at me. She was like, ah, like she's had it before, I think many times. And I was like, yeah, I'm sorry. A lot has happened and I just want to sort my head out and music is how I do that.
Speaker 2: Once you made that decision and you're doing music, you were DJing for a bit.
Speaker 1: I was teaching for a bit to kind of pay my way through school.
Speaker 2: As well, and what's that like As a creative person. Did you ever have a moment of worrying that you were turning the thing you loved most in the world into a job and that you might then start to hate it.
Speaker 1: That's a very good question, and I think about that a lot. I think that at the time, it almost felt like a necessity, and music was like a kind of therapy. I was quite a shy person. I wasn't really like a I didn't even think about like performing at all. I didn't really want to perform. I wasn't that person at school. Wasn't like an actor, wasn't in the debate team or anything. I was like the shy kid in the chess club, and music was just the way to put things down and get things out a little bit.
Speaker 2: How do you stay almost pure to the creative process when you also have in your head this creative process has to make an album, and that album has to pay my bills. How do you make sure those don't get mixed up?
Speaker 1: It's very, very, very hard. I've struggled with that a lot. That's probably one of the things I've struggled with most over the last couple of years. But you have to absolutely make sure you're carving out the time to do that thing that makes you feel grounded, and that for me is making music or spending time with like old friends, and just making sure your concrete platform is solid and you're going back and returning to those things. I think a lot of people lose that. I lost it for a long time.
Speaker 2: When did you lose it?
Speaker 1: Post pandemic, post heat waves? There was just a lot floating around, a lot of opportunities floating around, and I took all of them because I was like, who am I going to turn any of this stuff down? Like it's amazing doing writing sessions every day, I was producing, I was working on music for films. I was just balancing around trying to be an extrovert when I really really am not an extrovert. And you just have to make sure you set aside that time to do the music is like that thing that keeps me sane. You just have to make sure you're doing it every day, and sometimes it's very, very very hard.
Speaker 2: That period I find really interesting because you were given all sorts of opportunities to be in rooms with people that there are people who would kill to be in rooms with certain writers, certain artice. How did you decide that it wasn't for you and start deciding what to say yes and no to.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not that it wasn't for me. It's just a balance. You just have to make sure you're doing the other the core as well. I don't think I was very happy. I was in a weird place after that, to be completely honest, and started going to therapy. I started like trying to work out what was wrong. And that's kind of where this latest album came from, was trying to work out what was wrong here. I don't think I was very happy in that sense of like a lot of things in my life that were going well. I was so happy about success. I'm so happy about like you have friends that I have, and like my relationship with my parents was great. All that was good, but there was something deeply that was just like so wrong. At the same time, it was odd. I was kind of torn into bits, felt very detached from reality.
Speaker 2: So you had had from the outside the most success you'd ever had. From the outside. If somebody was looking at your Instagram, the photos are incredible. The life you're living, it's the absolute dream. But you weren't feeling it.
Speaker 1: No, But I mean the Internet presence is the curated, happy version of everything, and maybe that's part of what made me feel like I had to do all those things and be at everything and say yes to everything. Like look on as soon as you look at the Internet, you see like, Oh, this person's writing with this person, this person's done this, this person so this, and you're just comparing yourself over and over again. You're like, God, I need to say yes to everything and do it, oh and be everywhere. And I just completely left that, Like, I don't think I ever spend any time like alone writing for who knows how long years, probably two years.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing that you love doing.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the one thing that makes me feel like me it's what pulled me out that whole. However, many years ago when I started writing, and then I've kind of realized that I'd forgotten about it again.
Speaker 2: You became quite quickly in some senses and quite slowly in other senses. You became a recognizable faith. And so I imagine you're walking down the street and people are like, Hey, that's Dave. When you meet people, do you feel pressure to be a version of them that they'll really appreciate because of who you are, and you know, it's a huge moment in their lives, and how do you manage that with just being who you are in the moment.
Speaker 1: I was in that position before. I'd bump into, like someone I really admired on the street, and I'd like, sometimes you end up leaving those situations really upset, like, Oh, that person was really mean and that's broken my heart. I can't listen to that music anymore. I never want to do that to anybody. So there was a bit of pressure there. Like I was really influenced by those kinds of people when I was a kid, just because those people who'd written those songs that were so wise in such a big part of my life, and they'd say something to me in real life, I'd be like, WHOA like? And so yeah, I just try to keep that in the back of my mind the whole time I bump into people.
Speaker 2: For you, it's just kind of another interaction for them. It's something they're going to think about forever.
Speaker 1: But no, I think about it a lot too. I do. I actually do those really important interactions, and they make me really happy and it's absolutely lovely to bump into people and have a conversation about music or something. The thing unless I get a bit more like wary of is photographs and things like that. It's just I'm very happy to stop and talk to someone. That's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's something almost performative about the photograph. I can kind of see that if you're just going about your life that you're like, oh, yeah, yeah, sure, i'll have a chat. But then somebody taking a photo You're like, oh, I wasn't ready.
Speaker 1: For I know, it does happen sometimes you step, you go onto the internet and look at like you're tagged stuff and you're like, that is really creepy. Someone just took a photo of me when I was like doing my shopping. Wow, so weird.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: So you're just like aware there is this kind of constant feeling like you're slightly being what And I think, you know what. I just have to kind of get used to that, and that's fine. It's part of this career that I didn't really think about at the beginning, and I appreciate I have to get used to that's what it is. But it happened in a very strange circumstance, and maybe that's why I'm struggling to wrap my head around. I think for a lot of people that happens quite gradually. And we release that album in the pandemic, and we're sitting in my pants eating cereal watching it all happen, and it didn't really feel real. When the world finally opened up again, it was just so different, all of a sudden, like it's two years since from when that record came out to when we were really allowed to be in public again.
Speaker 2: That probably is quite a bizarre way to have that moment because you don't get to see the incremental That's like seeing a crowd and then seeing a bigger crowd and then noticing that they're singing the words to your song, and then having some of the biggest crowds in the world singing the lyrics to your song. Do you think that that contributed to the fact that it didn't feel real?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. So it was such a sudden shift for me personally. I think in the rest of the world it was probably gradual, but I wasn't witnessing it, and it was like reading the emails with the statistics and then all of a sudden boom out in the real world. You can see it or it hits you like a wave. Yeah, it's quite long, it's quite mad. It's a great wave. But it knocked me off my feet for a little bit. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I always think that being in a band would be the funnest way to be famous because you get to do it with your friends, and so you get to share in the joy and the success. Do you also have difficulties in Obviously you've got to kind of navigate decision making, what you say yes to, what you plan around with other people. Is that a challenge?
Speaker 1: It's a massive challenge. Yeah, you really care about these people. In a lot of careers, there's this very defined hierarchy and this kind of top down approach, and there's a reason it exists. There four people, it's very easy to be divided too, and two and the democracy doesn't work so well for decision making, as I've witnessed, from choosing a press photo to the kick drum sound in a song. Everything is tough. This is one of the things my hero is. Actually I love a very specific band that I grew up with changed my life. Dove into their records when I was about thirteen. I was moving from America to England, and I was listening to these records because it was a big move and it reminded me of home. So I was listening to these records and I remember hearing an interview where the lead songwriter was like, don't start a band with your friends, because there's no better way to end a friendship. And then I went and did it. Yeah, yeah, and there element where like, yeah, it was right. It's very very hard. You have to put a lot of effort into that side of things. You have to remember that you have to say friends. Yeah. If you lose that side and you just become like business colleagues, it's probably a bit broken.
Speaker 2: The only way I can relate to it is I work with my sister quite a bit, and we're lucky in that with a sibling you can just be a total bitch. I can say that's a terrible idea, and she says, well, you're terrible, and we can have it out and then two minutes later we're fine, and you like that with the band. Now, have the boundaries eroded because of how close you've had to become.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've known each other for so long since those really formative years of like twelve thirty or fourteen, like we go away with like a brotherhood situation, so it can be quiet. I imagine it's quite weird to witness, but to be honest, I'm not the argumentative one. It's and I love watching the others there too, particularly sometimes rob each other out the wrong way. It's very funny. I'm the sneaky brother. He's just watches with popcorn from the side.
Speaker 2: They're like, yes, you have it, yeah, yeah, And if.
Speaker 1: They're not fighting enough, I'll be like yeah. But then he said this start some shit.
Speaker 2: Has there been a particular moment that you can think of where the world told you you'd be happy and you weren't. So you had everything from the outside, but deep down it wasn't feeling joyous.
Speaker 1: Let's go for touring, for instance. I think people see the curated version of the tour on the internet and they think, Wow, what fun party. I'm not going to say it's a bad thing, because I love it, but it's a grind. You're stuck in a metal tube with twelve people who smell for three months, and you're waking up as I am to do your radio stuff, and then you're going and seeing the label, and then you're going to do sound check, and then you're doing a meet and greet, and then you're doing the show, and then you then like your mom's there, and it can be a grind. I'm not complaining about it, because I do absolutely love it. But I've had like my brother on tour before, I've had the friends on tour before, and a week is fun. My brother stayed for like two weeks and by the end of the two weeks he was like, I am done. I'm spent.
Speaker 2: I reckon that would be as an introvert, I reckon that would be my worst nightmare.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Everywhere you look there are people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can't have a moment to yourself.
Speaker 1: There's no alone time. Yeah, Like it's very fun. A lot of my best memories are being on tour, but there are moments where you're like, god, I wish I had a nine to five. Yeah, like really big moments is the greatest thing. And all of my best memories come from touring. A lot of people kind of come into touring for a year and they're just like no, And then there are things like performances on Yeah, a lot of the performance itself, but doing like a TV show, So it's so nerve wracking. It's really nerve for me at least. I'm sure some people absolutely love it, but for someone who's had no experience doing any kind of performance ever, and yeah, it's it's a lot.
Speaker 2: When you have a huge success, do you worry about trying to recreate it? Is it four years between albums? In those four years, were you anxious about trying to recreate that lightning moment where it exploded? And is that a lot of pressure?
Speaker 1: I was putting a lot of pressure on myself initially, and maybe that was kind of like deferring that by doing all the other stuff, doing the writing, doing the working on films, going to events, stuff like that. Maybe I was just kind of pushing it away, working on how the hell am I going to do this? I don't know if I'm gonna you know, maybe the that was it, But ultimately it kind of came to the realization that you basically just have to forget about all of that success. Nothing good is going to come from that, so you just have to go back to where that came from, which is spending time alone writing. And I found that again and stopped worrying about recreating anything, because that's not why I got into it in the first place.
Speaker 2: That's a very healthy attitude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I got there eventually. Well, I didn't think I had that attitude initially. It took me a minute.
Speaker 2: I can imagine that you got some financial success by something blowing up. Do you think money buys happiness?
Speaker 1: No, I can tell you it doesn't. There's a comfort level and that really applies to touring in a big way because we have a busy yep, we have a bus and we can eat better food and things like that. That is actually a really really big thing. You can kind of afford to eat more healthily. You're not just eating it like a petrol stops having snack bars and chocolate. That is a real thing. But for me, it's never really been about that. I've been asking myself what it's about a lot lately, and that's a huge question. And I've heard some terrible answers to that question.
Speaker 2: But what told me about it answer?
Speaker 1: I'm not going to drop people in it. But one of the biggest musicians in the world, the Big Dog, told me that. I don't know if I agree with his answer at all, but they told me that something inside of you is telling you your special when someone once told you you would dirt and I was like, that is not a good reason. It's basically revenge. Yeah, I was like, I didn't say it at that. I was like, I just don't think.
Speaker 2: You know what, though, I have a theory that that mentality is about fame, not about music. I think people who want fame are and it's coming from a point of wanting to prove something. But I agree that there's something different if you're just pursuing something creatively that happens to come with the fame side of things. Do you have a sense that with music, comparing it to when you were studying medicine? Do you worry that is music helping people? Am I being a good person by doing music? Do you beat yourself up with that?
Speaker 1: Exactly? That's why I've been asking myself that question. It's like, is this a selfish thing to do? Should I have stuck with what I was doing? Was that more selfless? Would that help more people? Because ultimately wanting to be a doctor, I wanted to help people. And maybe this comes back to when I first started doing music and that big turning point going from medicine to music was my best friend at that point was not happy and that led to the worst thing that could possibly happen. And I think there's something that since that moment, I've been kind of trying to find a way to. Like what I've come down to is that maybe it's trying to like spread happiness or make like make people know it's okay to feel like that, it's not a dead end, it's not the end of the world. And that's kind of that's where I'm at with the answer at the minute, Like it's okay to be sad sometimes, and that is what I really relate to in a lot of music, is that you hear a sad song, You're like, oh wow, it's okay, Like that person's okay, It's all right.
Speaker 2: Up next, Dave talks about grappling with a question of whether a career in music is ultimately selfish and whether what he does actually helps people. I think that thing that you're grappling with around is pursuing the thing I'm passionate about, the thing I'm clearly drawn to in a really profound way, is that selfish. I think that's quite relatable for a lot of people. No matter what they do, because it's the choice between the thing that brings you joy and satisfaction and the thing you almost feel like you should be doing because that's what society tells you you should be doing. But from the outside, can I just say that, as naf as it is, music really does help people. It really does, and yours in particular.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's kind. But maybe I've came up with the answer and then realized maybe I've twisted the truth to make myself feel better about having not been like something that really saves people. But yeah, I don't know. I'm still still working out the answer to that. It's a tough one, but.
Speaker 2: I think that idea of it's okay to feel sad, and it's almost more nuanced than that. It's like, it's okay to feel the full range of human emotions and exactly probably the way in their day to day life that a lot of people connect with that is music. It's the quickest, most mindful way to feel something that isn't the distraction of what's in your face moment to moment. But I do find it really interesting that a person in your position battles with that, even though you're giving a gift to other people. It's like, oh, but am I being selfish? Should I pursue this other route? It's a big battle, yeah, and I think I think there's probably a lot of people who don't ask themselves that question.
Speaker 1: Probably right, yeah, But I don't know. I've come to a very pessimistic thing at the moment, where like something bad again, but like happiness is quite like like short, these little like blips we're like, whoa habit? Where does it come? But comes from like it's like a fucking sorry. Yes, it's like a beam of light coming down from the sky and like boom, you're happy and you're like, I don't even know why. Cool. You can't just maintain this constant level of happiness and you can't keep trying to like do that for other people. You it's just an impossibility. I'm kind of trying to work out the answer now, which is probably too big a thing for right now. But like when you're okay with dealing with the other emotions and like being like, oh, I'm really pissed off right now, it kind of automatically is like and that's all right. You can't Yeah, you don't have to be happy right now, it's all right.
Speaker 2: And I think telling yourself that you have to be happy ironically makes us less happy and makes feel really guilty and shameful, which is.
Speaker 1: Big time and awful. Such a huge push for it at the moment, I feel with the way the internet works, it's like everyone's showing the happiness. It's quite an intense thing to you know. I try to limit my amount of time on the internet for that reason, because you're like, look at all these happy, happy people happy all the time. They've posted five times, so they're all so happy. I feel like I've kind of stopped trying to like chase being happy myself. It just kind of happens. Sometimes it's flipping great. I love it, but stop trying to like be it all the time. It's just a kind of impossibility. It's maybe a lot easier to appreciate those happy moments instead of constantly constantly doubting them and wondering when it's going to go away.
Speaker 2: Or if it's like happy enough, If you're feeling happy.
Speaker 1: Enough, this is pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. From what you've seen of I guess the most successful version of musicians, and I'm sure you've rubbed shoulders with all sorts of people. I was going to bring up going to the Grammys, but you had COVID and you didn't go to the Grammys when you were nominated for Perst New Artist.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, guys, that's the saddest thing. I mean, you say it's sad, but I, like I'd say it wasn't just sad. I was like, oh, I really wanted to go to the Grammys. Not necessarily for myself. I felt like it was going to like because all these amazing people who had been listening to our music for a long time, and it was like going for them in a way, and going for like my mum and the people who'd supported me through all this chaos, and choosing to ditch a perfectly good career for one that seemed absolutely unbelievable. But there was a bit element of relief as well, because it's a stressful thing. I get quite a bit like, whoa, this is a very surreal situation. I'm not like, yes, I get to go on a red carpet. It's a strange thing going on a red carpet.
Speaker 2: You've done the brit Awards, Yeah, do you enjoy it? What's the vibe, meeting celebrities.
Speaker 1: I find those kind of things quite strange. Maybe this is too honest. I don't want to. I try to enjoy them a lot, and I do enjoy them because I get to meet some lovely people and people. I speak to people about music and things that they're doing that I am so passionate about. And I learned a huge amount from people in those situations. I really really do. But there's a very strange element where you are wearing a wild outfit walking down a carpet and there's a fence. Yeah, it's quite odd. Yeah, and I'm slightly aware of that too. It's yeah, I've never been the person who like saw those events and be like, I so wish I was there anything to be there. But it's really nice.
Speaker 2: There's certain things about your private life that you seem to have kind of good boundaries in terms of what you talk about what you don't talk about, And given that a lot of your music people know is autobiographical, that must be a bit of an intentional decision. Is there a reason that you don't share a lot about relationships or anything like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, in a way, i'd say I share quite a lot about relationships. If you listen to the music, it's kind of it's all the secrets, some of the secrets, Like there's got more songs in me, probably more things to talk about, hope. No, I do actually seem to have found like a rhythm at the minute. And yeah, I just think if I have like family and friends and relationships, they haven't chosen to I've kind of chosen to go down this road, and I appreciate what comes with it. Maybe I didn't know at first what came with it, but I do appreciate the things that come with it, and I'm trying to embrace them. They didn't choose that.
Speaker 2: I think that must be an interesting line to walk between what is your story to tell and what's not your story?
Speaker 1: Maybe that's.
Speaker 2: So you've got a new album, uh huh coming out in July, tell us about it.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of like exploration about happiness. Isn't it funnily enough? But it's I had an existential crisis, and I guess we spoke about that a little bit. Coming from this like sense of detachment and the success of the last album kind of happening while I wasn't really allowed to be part of it almost. It was happening during COVID and I was watching it all happen and then was kind of thrust out into it. And I was so detached from that success in a weird way that it spun me out big time. And then it kind of all came to a head. I got this like job writing for other people in La, went to La to do this. I've got this airbnb, sweet deal, really cheap, So why is it so cheap? Got there and moved into the airbnb and realized why it was so. She was just falling off a cliff. Oh wow, and had these like stilts that was so like ten times as follows the house holding this thing up on this cliff. And I was like, cool, I can go on with this. But then this huge storm came massive, so one of the biggest storms that's happened in La in like a century. They said, it's called the Atmospheric River. It's raining, their trees falling down the mountain. There's like landslide warnings everywhere by phone. You know when your phone goes like marriage like landslide warning. Everyone, stay indoors, do not try to go outside. All this stuff. So I was like stranded in this house during this storm, and I moved the bed if like the bed was kind of on the stilts end of the house and there's one bit connected to the rock. I picked up the mattress and I dragged it across the house, put it by the mountain, and I was like, I'm going to die. This is the end. And it kind of all came to a head. I was finally forced to like spend time alone for the first time in years, and was kind of forced to confront all this and I kind of asked myself, like, what does all this mean? Am I happy? Is this happiness? Chasing all this stuff? And I kind of reached out and tried to grab something and I grabbed Like what I landed on was like that human connection is the most important thing. So that's what this is about. It's about like trying to pull myself back onto this like rock that is human connection from that existential crisis. Wow, kind of trying to claw my way back to what the meaning of life is and what does make you happy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's an interesting metaphor the house on the cliff, and it's a bit of a blessing in disguise. But it forced you to stay there and get this out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean in the face of death, you write very very quickly. And I wrote the whole album there in that little house. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: How long did it take to go?
Speaker 1: About two and a bit weeks. Yeah. The thing is I wanted to do a space album, and I never really worked out how to do it. Almost felt very cold, like space is gold and quite heartless and stuff. And then I finally found when I was in that house. I kind of it was in that existential crisis that felt very much like space is vacuum, and kind of reached out and grabbed that thing. And that's how I finally made that connect. Like you can write these really personal stories about hum connection but framed by the excidential reframe by these like space sounds, but the core these really human love stories.
Speaker 2: Basically, Dave Bailey, your band Glass Animals had the biggest song in the world, and you've played at some of the world's biggest festivals on some of the biggest stages. But if you look at your life right now, are you.
Speaker 1: Happy right now in this moment? I'm happy. Yeah, I would say I am happy. I have to think it's a very big question. But I think if I was to do the simple answer, I say, yeah, I'm very happy. Thank you. Does anyone ever ask you if you're happy?
Speaker 2: Sometimes people do, and I'm like, oh, we don't want.
Speaker 1: To get That's why I started this whole podcast, happiness in general.
Speaker 2: Ask other people. My chat with Dave was one of my favorite conversations I've ever had on this podcast. I think it's really common for people who have creative pursuits, whether that's music or acting or art or media or podcasting, to really wonder about the purpose of it. Is this helping anyone? Is this indulgent? Why do I get to do this and other people are doing jobs at the same time that save lives? But music, I think is one of the most powerful avenues for happiness. It allows us to access the full range of human emotions in an incredibly mindful way. It's the backdrop to our lives. I know music plays in the background of some of my most precious memories. This conversation also highlighted how sometimes it's the moments we achieve the external markers of success and feel like something is wrong that are the most clarifying. It forces you to confront who you actually are and what actually matters to you, and sometimes it's different to what you imagined. Join me next week for a conversation with media personality, youth worker, podcaster and author Brook Blurton about processing trauma, balancing the pursuit of individual happiness with the needs and struggles of your community, and the moment she found love on national television and received news of a personal tragedy at the same time.
Speaker 4: She's a bachelorette, you know, and all of these comments and tabloids and etc. To then being in an ABNB by yourself organizing a funeral for your sister that you've just lost. It's just I don't not want to place myself there ever again.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, if you want to listen to last week's episode, I spoke to actor and Gowery Rice and her mum Kate about what success looks like at such a young age and how a parent navigates their child's career in Hollywood, and Gowery spoke about her previous roles and how she deals with criticism, while Kate spoke about her experience being in the acting industry and what she worries about regarding ang Gowery. If you enjoyed the podcast, please review and subscribe wherever you get your podcasts. If you'd like to suggest someone for the podcast, you can get in touch with me directly. My Instagram handle is Claire dot Stevens, or you can email us here at podcast at mamameya dot com dot au. This episode was produced by Tarlie Blackman, with audio production by Scott Stronik. See you next week.