Speaker 1: Out loud as welcome, Welcome to Mamma Mia out loud. It's what women are actually talking about on What is the date today? Wednesday, the thirtieth of July.
Speaker 2: Winter is going to be over in another month. Whoo. Producer Gracie Holly, Sorry, it's the twenty ninth.
Speaker 3: Of July today.
Speaker 2: It's wrong in the script. No, no, it's wrong in the script.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: I had to look down to see what was written to see what date it is, because I never know the date. I'm one of those people who never knows the date. You know, you're always going what date is it?
Speaker 3: Anyway?
Speaker 1: They got it wrong in the script because it's actually only the twenty ninth. You have one more day of winter than we just thought you did.
Speaker 4: Thirty days has September, April, June and November. Now you've got two more days.
Speaker 1: We're really discombobulated. Two more days of winter than we thought. But still that's hardly any isn't it a month and two days? Anyways?
Speaker 4: Episodes provided represented by fact checking.
Speaker 3: My name is Hollywayne, right.
Speaker 5: Name is Amelia Laston.
Speaker 3: I'm just over it already.
Speaker 4: I'm me a freedman and this is hard is this when Wednesdays were all.
Speaker 1: It's like trying to remember what day it is, where are we what type of year it is?
Speaker 3: Sorry, Mia, Sorry, I expected you to.
Speaker 4: Be more professional, meant to be a serious episode.
Speaker 1: Here is what is on our agenda for today, Sam Suvo Carl that in a week where the evolving chairs of Brecky TV are back in the news, I want to know, does it really even matter anymore?
Speaker 6: Plus, I've got some good news for next time you go clothes shopping, which you'll probably be directly after the show. And Jennifer Aniston's newish boyfriend is a hypnotist, which I love, and she's about to interview him on stage at his own book launch and I wonder if he'll make her cluck like a chicken.
Speaker 5: Maybe.
Speaker 3: But first, in case you missed it, Amelia.
Speaker 5: No, look me, you and I I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: I've got to bring something to the table here because me and I aren't always on the same show, impact you are very rarely on the same show.
Speaker 2: And okay, Jada pink at Smith, what are you bringing?
Speaker 6: I just got a bit of a bone to pick with. You could be anything, and it's about our desks. We are in a cold war about hot desks? Is this about where we're sitting at the table? Yes, so look his way it happened. No, no, no, no, our table are desks in the office where we do our work. So look that there was a big mix up of desks, shake up of desks last week.
Speaker 1: You plan. We talked it out louder about it on the Friday The Daily mallon No Time. M Erna made her pledge on this show that she wanted to keep her window seat with the good light.
Speaker 3: She got to keep it.
Speaker 6: And I had one small, modest request.
Speaker 5: I frosted.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to pretend I wasn't involved. I was highly involved.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I knew it. You pretended to be all like above, So what's your problem?
Speaker 6: I wanted to sit next to my co host Holly Wainwright, with whom I co host Monday and Wednesday episodes of Australia's number one podcastle.
Speaker 4: Never end of this woman, Like, honestly, does anyone give a shit about me? Now?
Speaker 6: You put yourself in next to you put yourself next to Holly? And I said no, And I did something a bit nausey, a bit passive aggressive, and I swapped the post it.
Speaker 3: That's like when you go to a.
Speaker 1: Wedding and I'm about that and you go and check the seating cat and then you just.
Speaker 5: Totally do that all the time. I'm one of those people.
Speaker 4: I've now got three different I've got my own office and I've got two different desks.
Speaker 5: I'm on the move.
Speaker 6: I did want to point to you that you have your own office, and I've.
Speaker 4: Also got another desk with the execs. But I'm also slumming it down with you, bitch in the out loud area, which is open plan, which I'm loving.
Speaker 2: I bet everyone is hating having me sit there.
Speaker 4: Not because I'm too talky, because I got my noise cats on phones, but because people I don't know, people give you because.
Speaker 3: You can airwig on all the conversation.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, we moved last week. Oh well, actually we moved this week. I'm really enjoying it.
Speaker 4: Yes, I know, Holly, because I saw on Instagram you post it because yesterday when you weren't hear Amelia, I was sitting next to Holly, and so then I went home and I was scrolling my phone and I see Holly posting a story about I've got an exciting new desk mate, and I like, yeah, I'm ready bring in the love. And then it was it was m Vernon, then it was not. I was not even mentioned because I'm just chopped.
Speaker 1: Cabbine because you've got three other desks, so you're not really my desk mate, em Is and Amelia.
Speaker 6: Here's what I need on my desk, my desk listening. My desk is very zen. It has my water bottle, some hot sauce that Holly gifted me because I love me some hot sauce, and all my cords arranged in exactly the right way. And you made fun of that, and you said, oh, we can't mess up your cords.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 5: Did you have anything to bring up with me, miam?
Speaker 2: I'm going to save that for another day. Oh, quite conversial. Well here, I'll just do it now.
Speaker 4: I think it's really weird the way before the show, you guys go and put your makeup on in the toilet.
Speaker 5: Where would you rather I do it?
Speaker 4: No, because it's like that's where people do and poos and change their tampons, and like it's not an appropriate place to brush your.
Speaker 2: Teeth, Like y'all know you do that too. It's for things going out shore, things going on. It should be things just it's a private place.
Speaker 5: I don't like it.
Speaker 6: I feel like I'm surveying the people in there in their bow movements.
Speaker 5: Don't hate me being there.
Speaker 3: It's not fair.
Speaker 4: This is why women have gutty shoes, because people like you're in there doing your makeup, and so no one feels that they can just let loose and do their business.
Speaker 5: That's what the second toury is on.
Speaker 2: You take twenty twenty minutes.
Speaker 5: I do. Have you heard about the second four?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Level poop. That's bad toilet.
Speaker 1: I've never been to level poo, never been terrible. But I had never thought, not even for a minute, had I considered putting my makeupon in the same space that people are doing and poos until you just brought it.
Speaker 5: And now I can't.
Speaker 3: Now I can't now.
Speaker 2: The noises, I don't even think about it. Don't you smell the smell?
Speaker 1: Oh dear, Oh, no happens in everybody's just chats over the toilet. Well, sometimes you have some good gossip in there, what you do in your lipstick, But now you put that, I can't do it.
Speaker 3: Now, that's it. Okay, I'm going to bring something more important to the table.
Speaker 2: You lot.
Speaker 5: Problems.
Speaker 1: I don't want to worry anyone, But do we all remember what happened on Monday at two pm? It was quite it's quite alarmingarm just a reminder for what the OS alert was for. So this test, it was for an alert that would go out in these kind of situations, natural hazards, so bushfires, floods, cyclones, tsunami, severe storms, public safety threats, so if there's a major security issue, you or active emergency and anything health and biosecurity related. So we've all lived through that before pandemic was national. It was national.
Speaker 3: It was absolutely everywhere. No matter what.
Speaker 2: I thought, it was exciting. Were you?
Speaker 3: I wasn't with you. What happened in the office.
Speaker 4: I was in a meeting and we all knew it was going to happen. It two and we were all quite excited. But then everyone still jumped to it. It happened because it was.
Speaker 2: Loud and than I expected.
Speaker 3: Everybody did. Where were you and me alone?
Speaker 5: I was just walking down the street.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was getting into a train because I was going home early that day because it was parente tonight I'm what going to like in public on the train, everybody went.
Speaker 2: Like that, like shocked, even though, as you say, we'd all.
Speaker 1: Been waiting for it all day, and then we wereent. Oh, and then what happened is what leads me to my next point. The guy on the train next to me said, Oh, I can't wait to hear what the conspiracy theorists have to say about this, And I was like, sir, let me tell you, because what happened to me on Monday morning on my way in, My algorithm suddenly started only feeding me really conspiratorial stuff about the ozolith, which.
Speaker 6: I knew nothing about. I didn't even know there were conspiracy theories?
Speaker 5: What are they?
Speaker 1: Let me play you a little bit of one of the videos I got served on Instagram.
Speaker 7: This is for the people who've woken up and don't trust the government. I'm not one hundred percent sure if we can trust what they're saying, which is that if you have your phone off until three pm that you won't get it. So I personally am going to leave mine off for twenty four hours.
Speaker 4: So that's what people think that how do people think the government is so organized? But maybe joys can't even control his own dogs, National conspiracy, What's going to happen through our phone?
Speaker 1: It's so funny because the thing is is that that woman when I was choosing a video to play you a little bit of it was actually quite hard because so many of them, and like, I don't want to be disrespectful, but it's really difficult not to be disrespectful because so many of them were so batshit.
Speaker 5: It was I should be.
Speaker 1: People were saying that the alert is going out at a certain frequency that is going to somehow interact with the nanoparticles we were injected with with our COVID vaccines and it's.
Speaker 3: Going to make us really sick.
Speaker 2: Or they were saying, like, what's the benefit of that?
Speaker 3: Who knows?
Speaker 1: There was no ribraes And then other people were saying, this is all about surveillance. When they really want to get us to do whatever it is they all want to get us to do, they're not going to sound an alert. And then there were people literally all through my feed, and because I watched one because I was interested in what they were saying, it was then all that was in my feed, and it was these people were saying, I'm going to dismantle my phone and bury it in the garden. Some people were saying, I'm going to wrap my phone in alfoil and hide it in the microwave like people. And then there were lots of posts from some businesses saying we are not os alert friendly, so we're going to close on Monday, or please do not bring your mobile phone anywhere.
Speaker 6: Kidding, No, I'm just still stuck on the idea that if you put your phone in the microwave covered in alphaur and you have children and they turn on the microwave in the outer water, happen something not good to your phone.
Speaker 1: But do you think that all this because it's kind of silly, right, And I have a suspicion that the reason I started getting them is because I like compost, right, Like because.
Speaker 2: It's because burying the garden and the oithm.
Speaker 1: It's that, I think because I'm a gardener and the outlouders know that, and I know it's boring to everybody else, But like I do watch a lot of videos about.
Speaker 6: Like I do like getting bullied into adding that caveat every time she mentions gardening, don't you can?
Speaker 2: I just say, the funniest thing to me about.
Speaker 4: This is that all of these people are posting on Instagram, which is owned by Meta, who are their actual.
Speaker 2: Ones who know everything about you? Like the.
Speaker 4: Governments could coordinate something like that. However, Meta, where they're happily putting in all their information and telling them what they're going to do and using you know, face ID on their phone prints to have you.
Speaker 5: Have you seen it?
Speaker 2: The government could do this?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's so true. Maa. Anyway, so far, so good. Again.
Speaker 1: I don't want to disrespect anybody's deeply closely held conspiracy, but this.
Speaker 5: Is why she's the popular one.
Speaker 3: You're like to come on, But so far, so good.
Speaker 1: Nothing bad has happened in the fact that my al went off on my phone touch wood and now I had to actually tell my phone stop. I'm not interested, but now they're not saving me compost, so I don't know what.
Speaker 3: I'm going to do out ladders.
Speaker 4: On our episode on Tuesday, Scrollous Gossip for subscribers, we talk about.
Speaker 2: An usher story, uh, the couple who were caught kissing in Central Park? Are they the new cold Play kiss Cam? And also a thinly v novel that is said to be about a very very big Hollywood star If you're not already a subscriber.
Speaker 4: There's a link in the show notes so you can get us in your ears five days a week, because why wouldn't.
Speaker 2: You want to do that?
Speaker 1: After the break does it matter who sits in the Breakfast TV seats suddenly vacated by the big dogs.
Speaker 3: I'm desperate to hear what Mia thinks about this.
Speaker 1: I saw a satirical post this week amongst the conspiracy theories and compost about the musical chairs on Australian Breakfast TV, right among a collection of the headlines about who might be in the lineup of the Today Show now that Carl's gone off to.
Speaker 3: Be Chief Conspiracy. I don't know what he's going to be.
Speaker 1: And Sarah Arbo's on Matt Leaf with her baby. She had a little baby. I think he's called Sonny.
Speaker 3: That's very cute were the words.
Speaker 1: Today's show vastly overrates Australia's interest in who sits in this desk, So math Mtig took one of those chairs on Monday once obviously a Brecky TV titan on Sunrise for a long time with Koshi. She's now been in and out of that Today Shows studio on holiday breaks, and she's there at the moment sitting next to Mike Willercy Junior. Although no one is saying that this is the permanent lineup. I have two questions, does it matter anymore who sits in these seats? Because they were always seen as being very influential, but as we talked about a lot when we were talking about Carl's exit, less so now, and yet it still seems to say something about influence and power in Australian media, like who gets to sit in those chairs?
Speaker 3: Does it matter anymore? Mea.
Speaker 2: It's such an.
Speaker 4: Interesting question because we're looking at such a big shift in media and so much disruption, and breakfast media is very specific in terms of a type of media, and by that I mean breakfast TV and breakfast radio because they have been disrupted more than anything by phones. You know, the whole idea of news on the hour and the weather report coming after. You know, this idea that you've got to wait till seven point thirty to hear what the temperature is going to be. It's all that data because we'll just pick up our phone, right True.
Speaker 3: The weather used to be like God put the weather.
Speaker 4: On, just like oh yeah. But it's interesting because of you know, we're a pretty we're big consumers of media. But you're the only one that still watches breakfast television.
Speaker 2: Mostly you don't watch it at home.
Speaker 1: No, I watch it because I often stay in hotels and or at my friend's house and she does still watch it. She has it on ambiently in the background way, so I end up seeing it a lot.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 4: So, even though breakfast television compared to prime time there's so fewer people watching, it has a much much bigger footprint because of revenue and because the people who are watching are quite valuable because they're sticky. So breakfast media brands work, and they're so big because they combine personality with ritual because we all tend to the same thing or certainly before work from home, but we have similar routines every day.
Speaker 1: Out loud, if you've got kids in school, out loud, as will often say, like, you know, if we don't drop the show at five, we'll get a certain amount of out louders who are saying, but that's what I listened to on my way home, Well, that's what I listened to on my evening walk, or that's exactly and The other thing that breakfast media has in common actually with podcasts, who've been big disruptors to both of those mediums, is.
Speaker 2: The parasocial relationship, because you.
Speaker 4: Can have a primetime host who is reading a script, like the host of I don't know what Lego Masters or what are the big shows?
Speaker 3: Hey yeah, Lego Master, Chester Chef.
Speaker 4: They are very produced, packaged, scripted, whereas breakfast TV and breakfast radio it's the closest you have to podcasting in that it's a lot of there's some things that are scripted, but a lot of it is unscripted.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's interesting that in the last few years, podcasts and morning TV have kind of merged in terms of what they're offering the audience. And you see this reallyomatically in an American context with the morning shows there and how they've become. Like I remember when nine to eleven happened, everyone turned on the television. I was in the US at the time, and everyone turned on their TVs, and the morning shows really excelled at explaining the events of that day in a way that everyone understood. They were performing a very important journalistic service. And the people who host these shows are still often journalists, but they're now being asked to reveal a lot more of themselves on.
Speaker 1: Air and in America in the way that here we have Today and Sunrise, and Sunrise has been more popular than Today for a long time, to be fair, in America they have like Good Morning America GMA and the Today Show as well, right, and so they have a similar model in that there are two. And it's true, is that one of the big breakfast TV moments I remember showing my age is the Beaconsfield mind disaster.
Speaker 3: Do you remember that?
Speaker 1: And the TV hosts would all go were there and they were broadcasting from this and it was like Koshi got to go in the van with the Fellers when they got out, and that was a big thing and I remember religiously watching that.
Speaker 2: So the people who.
Speaker 4: Do the people who succeed on morning television, the Karls, the mel Doyle, Koshi, Nat Bar, Lisa Wilkinson, you know, they're all because it's three.
Speaker 2: Hours of live television.
Speaker 3: So you have to be so skilled.
Speaker 2: You have to be able to interview the Prime Minister, you.
Speaker 4: Have to be able to cross live, do roll and coverage, you know, do a funny segment where someone's stressed as a cow giving away money.
Speaker 2: You have to do all of those things.
Speaker 4: So you have to be incredibly multi talented in a very specific way and in a way that makes people feel like they know.
Speaker 2: You because they do.
Speaker 4: Like people would always say to me, what's Lisa Wilkinson like? And I'm like, She's exactly what you see, and so is Karl in many ways, or that's slightly different, and so it's Koshi in mel and Nat bar and I don't know shervo very well, but the same because you can't fake who you are for three hours.
Speaker 1: I want to know whether so given that, right, that the influence. We talk a lot about the attention economy and what brands and audience want is they want influence, right, So if those seats have dropped in their influence, yep, if you were casting a breakfast TV show, So because Carl's gone off to be a podcast titan and Sarah's gone off to have a baby, and you've kind of got this empty desk. Sam obviously has formed, but given the dropping relevance, would you try and make make it more relevant by like bringing in some young people mixing it up or is there a point in doing that because the audience is older, Like, what would make it more relevant anything? I mean, I know they've all got social media now people watch it more on clips. It still matters. I saw someone say that even though people aren't watching those shows linear in linear way anymore, whether or not a politician stuffs up on one of those shows, whether the hostess something outrageous or whatever, travels and still enters the new cycle of the day. So it still has a traveling footprint. So would you try and make it more relevant, stick some a gen z on there or whatever, or would you go with the old people.
Speaker 6: One recent viral moment that we talked about on the show was when Gwyneth Paltrow went on American Breakfast TV and talked about how arugula that is rocket is a dairy segment in a cooking segment.
Speaker 4: What I would do is I try to get Carrie bigmore. There are very few people in Australian celebrity in TV life who have the journalistic chops but also the sort of investment of our attention and our interest. And if you look at the way Sunrise has navigated host changes, they've done it so seamlessly, so well.
Speaker 2: Over a period of years.
Speaker 4: It was difficult when mel Dooyle left and they brought in Sam Armitage, but they had Hoshi is the mainstay. They had Nat bar still as a newsreader. And then when when Sam left and they brought nat Bar in, and then when Koshi left and they brought Chervo in. They developed the cast and the bench strength really deliberately and really carefully over time. Today the Today Show has had so they've been so reactive, they've had so many different hosts. They've never given no one's given a chance anymore to bed in, because it's like, well, if it doesn't work, change change change. That's that's kind of how Channel nine have done it. And so what's interesting now though, is that someone like Carry Bigmore, she doesn't want to get up at three am and do three hours of Life TIV when she can get paid a ton more or at least a comparative amount doing afternoon National Radio, which is like two hours of work, and it's you know, it's less desirable, it's much less desirable. And then the other thing is that the big Titans, the Koshi's, the Kyles, the Carl's, Funnily enough, all men, they don't want to be employees anymore. So they all were smart enough to see that, not that the women aren't smart, but they saw that that even though they were being paid millions of.
Speaker 2: Dollars, those those days are over, Like.
Speaker 4: There's just not those kind of salaries, not that much money in broadcast and radio anymore. So they wanted to be in control. His Morgan did the same thing. You know, It's why I left media to try and start something that I owned. And so basically they relied on the fact that they had very very strong followings, very engaged audiences that would pay them rather than essentially monetize the platform that was broadcasting them.
Speaker 3: So Carl has lost his big dog seat.
Speaker 1: But as we said at the time, and you when we when you and I did that emergency episode about him leaving, there was it was a a.
Speaker 3: Way, it was a plan, yep.
Speaker 1: And even though it's done, if you're just skating around media stuff, you'd be like, oh, I haven't seen as much of Kyle lately, and you think his influence is dropping. His podcast is actually still always in the top five, and he's doing all right. Kyle over here this week has started launching and teasing his live show it's a subscription model. He's dropping a little bit of paid content out of paid a little bit of free content to lead you down that and looking at it, it's very male. It's all black like, very like black and golden serious and Kissfemma promoting it, which is really.
Speaker 4: Invested as part of the settlement, They've invested money in it. They've got a share of advertising revenue. So these are media type of media big names, big dogs who want control. They don't want to be employees anymore. They're going to take that risk, either with the financial backing or with money that they've accrued, and.
Speaker 3: They're going to try and do I know women doing that? Why know women?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 3: Because there's I mean, it felt to me. We discussed it at the time, the Kyle deal as a big dig deal.
Speaker 1: I described it because it feels like he's kind of got a lot of support from all the big dog Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, Jackie O tried to do it.
Speaker 4: She did Besties with her friend Jemma Fordham, which she's sort of wound down because I think that that was a little bit in competition or she didn't have the time or whatever to devote while she was getting paid The big Bucks. But now that the radio deal's fallen through, her case is going to court and she and Aarna in legal dispute over the ending of that contract.
Speaker 3: Kyle just wanted to settle so he could get on it.
Speaker 4: He knew, Yeah, I was getting paid ridiculous amounts of money. That's come to an end. I want to go and do it myself now.
Speaker 3: So interesting. Thank you, Mia Friedman, media translator.
Speaker 6: After the break, your wardrobe is about to change, and I'm going to tell you why.
Speaker 5: Five months later, the Iram war is still going on.
Speaker 6: And look, I could go into the ins and outs of it with you, but I don't even feel like I'm on top of it myself. There's been a lot of one step forward, two steps back, so let's just leave it there. The biggest way though, that Australians are going to be feeling the ongoing effects of this war on a day to day level are obviously petrol prices and these are already high. They're likely to get higher as few reserves around the world dry up. And there's lots of other effects too. There's like fertilizer food, not to mention the human lives or endangered.
Speaker 2: Look by this don't you need fertilizer.
Speaker 3: I've told you I'm organic.
Speaker 1: Like, if we're doing fertilizer just cowpoo, well it can be organic. Fertilizer is. But the fertilizer we're talking about here is not cowpoo.
Speaker 3: They're not flying in loads and loads of cow poo.
Speaker 2: I don't know how cowpoo works.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to make this segment about fertilizer.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 6: There's one unexpected effect of the war which I think you'll be interested in, Miya, and it's on your wardrobe. Because the Iran war could spell the end of fast fashion. I'm calling it here. Oh you want to know why. There's two reasons. The first is that most of your wardrobe is made of oil. Did you know that plastic is made of oil?
Speaker 1: Oil?
Speaker 3: I don't think you're.
Speaker 6: Right if you're not wearing a natural fiber your clothes are made from oil. And the second reason is that, I mean, it's it's morally neutral, but if oil prices are going up, it means like all your polyester and your spandex and your nylon are going to get way more expensive.
Speaker 5: Have leisure lookout. And then the.
Speaker 6: Second cameltoes in trouble. Oh yeah, Camelto is going to be on the decline. Yep, you heard it hit first. The second reason is because fashion brands that have cheap clothes, they mostly make those clothes in Asia, and then they got to get them from the Asian factories to all the other parts of the world that have bought the clothes.
Speaker 5: Planes in planes.
Speaker 6: So one way you can think about it is when you buy a piece of clothing from Achene or a T MoU or an H and M, you're basically buying a seat on a plane for your like little T shirt or your shirt or your jeans, and so that little steel on the plane is getting more and more expensive as time goes on. I learned this week that Zara, for instance, basically runs an entire airport in Spain because basically the Zara clodes, the Zara clothes are made in your Bangladesh's and in your Turkeys and other places, and then has to be shipped from those places to Spain and then shipped to all the Tzara stores around the world.
Speaker 3: I see this, All of this sounds like bad news.
Speaker 1: Well, if you like cheap clothes, which let's be honest, even though we all know there are ethical problems with really cheap clothes.
Speaker 3: Most of us wear cheap clothes because cheap.
Speaker 5: Here's how it's going to play out.
Speaker 6: I think that clothes from say in H and M are going to get more expensive, and then clothes that are made using local supply chains, like made in Australia, using fibers that come from Australia, which are going to get which are usually way more expensive, are going to get comparatively cheaper. So what it means is like they don't need a plain seat, they don't need a plane seat, and so the H and the M and the R and Williams are basically converging on each other. And I think from an environmental perspective that's a really good thing. But I wonder if the sort of way in which fast fashion has been stigmatized in recent years, and there's good reasons for that fashion is really polluting and there's a lot of waste.
Speaker 5: Generated by fast fashion.
Speaker 6: But it's sort of interesting that for practical reasons people might be turning away from fast fashion, even as for ethical reasons they were being told to do so.
Speaker 2: So fast fashion is getting more expensive.
Speaker 3: Here's the TLDR.
Speaker 1: Yeah wow, that's not good news for your trends, because Mia likes to try a trend before you, before one invests in.
Speaker 5: Have you felt that pressure?
Speaker 6: I would say in reason is there has been more sort of scrutiny on the idea of buying cheaper clothes.
Speaker 5: Have you felt that pressure?
Speaker 2: I think it's a classic.
Speaker 4: Case of people saying one thing but doing another way, and so that there'll be people who will loudly be critical because of what it says about them, and also because of what they believe, but also because of what it says about them. And then there'll be people who might feel that way but also just can't afford to buy a pair of shoes or something for their kid or win a coat.
Speaker 6: That's not fast, which is why it's interesting that the locally made and produced stuff is now going to get comparatively cheaper, but.
Speaker 3: Only comparatively cheap.
Speaker 1: It's a cheaper and to me, it's point we have sort of been trained that we can buy a five dollar T shirt, you know what I mean. That's become quite normal now that I can buy a five dollar T shirt, and I can buy my kid a five dollar T shirt, and we might know that it might not last forever, but you know we're still going to do it, so it is it's kind of I get what you mean. In terms of comparative It's like, okay, that means buying something of quality that was made likely.
Speaker 3: The other piece to this, though that's good, is that people more and more and more buying sustainable stuff, as in secondhand, as in vintage.
Speaker 4: As I've vinted, that is actually the biggest the gamification of fashion, which is turning it into hunt, catch and release.
Speaker 2: Yes, and also hunting and doing all of that.
Speaker 4: You've got your eBay, like I've just sparked up my eBay account again, dpop' vnted the real real there's a ton of stuff that you can find. I've started searching there for specific things, and it's so much better for your bank account and for.
Speaker 3: The environment and a bit more fun.
Speaker 4: I think that's more of a threat because when now it's great for the environment because we're recycling, it's cheaper, it's less likely to obviously end up in landfill, it's.
Speaker 1: Harder, so it says more about your fun. People who are really good at vintage you have like a bit of status about it, like Lee Campbell is you'll be like that, and she'll be like, fifteen dollars.
Speaker 3: I might stop it. I could never find a fifteen dollars.
Speaker 6: I do think there's also a generational element here, because for millennials, we very much came of age as as the h and ms and the Zara's reached global ascendency and domination. So when we were going out into the workplace for the first time, we were naturally turning to H and M and Zara because that's what you did at the time. But what I'm hearing from gen Z is that fast fashion is sort of looked down upon a bit. People would rather say that they got something from a thrift shop than from a high street chain. And m Vernon was telling us when we were talking about this that she's noticed that influences are much less likely these days to be trying to sell a Timu or a shine product. Remember there was that factory tour, the Shine factory tour that influencers took a few years ago, and the zeitgeist has moved so much from their influencers these days, particularly not gen zed ones. They wouldn't be caught dead doing a shine factory tour anymore so, it's like fast fashion is becoming less fashionable, I guess, and it's also becoming more expensive. And another interesting trend that's kind of related to this is adjustable fashion. Have you heard anything about adjustable fashion? This is the so called Zempi pants. Yeah, so they're basically fashion. Designers are trying to think about ways to accommodate the fact that women's bodies change all the time. They change monthly, they change, they change from year to year. And in keeping with this trend of trying to produce clothing that people can use for longer, designers are coming up with stuff like more elasticized wastes, more knitted stretch panels if you put on weight. I have a pair of jeans that I proudly showed Holly the other day that have brohmets on up the legs, so you can adjust the length of the genes depending on what shoes you're.
Speaker 1: Wearing, make them shorter longer, just by doing a little button on the bottom.
Speaker 4: So instead, well, I do all of that stuff with rubber bands, but I would love it if I had a little mechanism.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 4: So the idea is you don't need two pairs of jeans, You can wear these one pair of jeans in two different ways exactly.
Speaker 6: And there's even Australian brands who are doing this, like creating dresses that, for instance, will go from sizes eight to twenty two. There's a brand called ever by X where the designer an Australian named kral Bullen. She originally wanted to make a dress that you could wear anywhere, so like that proverbial, like you know, from work to a cocktail party situation. No one has ever gone from work to a cocktail party but sideach bar all the time wearing the same thing.
Speaker 4: But no.
Speaker 6: What she realized in selling these dresses is that women love them because they could wear them no matter how they felt about their weight or their body, from month to month, year to year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've started doing that trick again because of course, in midlife, you you get changed shape and your weight redistributes, and it's hard, like suddenly you might be the same weight, but suddenly you can't do up your pants because it starts to collect.
Speaker 2: Around your middle. And so I've gone back to that trick I used.
Speaker 4: To do when I was pregnant, which is when I just get a little hair band and put it through the loop of my jeans so that I don't I can still wear them even though they don't do up anymore.
Speaker 1: Have you noticed by the way that Amelia has tried to take your seat as fashion expert around here?
Speaker 3: Are you feeling like.
Speaker 5: I don't claim to be an expert.
Speaker 1: She's the correspondent. She's definitely the clothing correspondent around here when me.
Speaker 3: Is not around.
Speaker 2: She's smart fashion.
Speaker 5: I'm just fast.
Speaker 4: Just before we go on Monday Show, I heard you guys speaking about the finance.
Speaker 2: Bro trophy wife. Yeah, that like Reese.
Speaker 4: Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman, they've stopped marrying celebrities and they've started dating billionaires, which is a choice. But there's also another archetype for famous divorced women that I want to ask you about. Hole. I know you'll have the answer. It's the woo woo boyfriend, because Jennifer Aniston has had one of those for a little while now. He's a hypnotist, which is my favorite fact ever. And is she actually really launching his book? And like what, I'm just to explain what's happening?
Speaker 3: You know, I'm so happy last one of my special subjects, along as compast.
Speaker 1: I was not very good at fast fashion, but I'm really good on Aniston's boyfriends. We said on Monday right that finance dudes, that Nicole Kidman's dating a man in finance, and Amelia posited one of the reasons why Eurysis and Nicks like guys like that is they've got jobs.
Speaker 3: So they've got proper jobs.
Speaker 6: They're actually not billionaires, they're millionaires. They're people who are still having to go to work every day.
Speaker 5: I called it.
Speaker 1: They've got jobs and they are rich. So those two things like make them less needy on the celebrity.
Speaker 4: And also less likely to be having to do a sex scene with a hot young woman.
Speaker 5: That's a job that we had to sell if you work in finance.
Speaker 1: But the other side of that, the flip side, is the way that Aniston has gone and allegedly her friends and are worried about this. So we said last year that she had She went insto official in November last year they started she soft launched.
Speaker 3: This guy.
Speaker 1: He's called Jim Curtis and he is a as you say, a hypnotherapist. He's a coach, so he coaches people. He's an author, a hypnotherapist, and a wellness executive. That's how he describes himself, a wellness executive. Yes, he has a business. So if you go on his socials and he's prolific on socials, which is really interesting because Aniston is not.
Speaker 5: He's fundamentally a hypnotist.
Speaker 3: But he like does it.
Speaker 1: I follow him, of course I do, and he like gives you a mantra for the day.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean. It's like, here's a mantra, here's a meditation. So it'll be things.
Speaker 1: About like the world is abundant, I will get what I need, Like it's all that kind of stuff. Right, So he's there. He looks very it's very stylized. He's very handsome, he looks a bit ai ish and he's like telling you what to say to yourself. He's that guy, right. They Soft launched in September last year and Hard launched in November, So.
Speaker 5: You just pulled that out of your head.
Speaker 2: The government when that happened.
Speaker 6: The fluency, she unveiled that special government watch list.
Speaker 5: You're kind of close personal friends.
Speaker 1: I've never met anyway her, so they've been together a while now, and apparently she has a lot of interest in wellness and woos.
Speaker 3: So they've got a lot in com has to be fair.
Speaker 4: I remember she spoke about whenever she has to make a decision or whatever.
Speaker 2: She's got these friends.
Speaker 4: She's got a very close group of girlfriends who she's had since I don't know, she was in her twenties. And they do something called the circle and they all sit on the floor and they bring it to the circle.
Speaker 6: This is And also there's the in Style article, remember that in depth interview that she did fairly recently, maybe three years ago, where the interviewer described her house as filled with crystals of various types.
Speaker 3: She has definitely got the wood. That circle sounds like. Remember Jala's movie This Is Me. Yeah, and there was there were the.
Speaker 2: Advisors who were off there going back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so great.
Speaker 2: She's quite earnest in her woo.
Speaker 1: She definitely anyway, so is Jim. And the thing is is her friends are apparently worried for the opposite reason about the millionaire finance bros. Is that they think that Jen is turning down work and doing too much for Jim.
Speaker 6: You know who this friend is, it's clearly Chelsea Handler. Chelsea Handler is a famous friend of Jen's and she is having none of this. This is so clear to me.
Speaker 3: That's so interesting. So Chelsea is the one who's.
Speaker 6: Leaving, is like, let's go to Carbo, and Jen's like, I can't because the moon's in Jupiter or whatever.
Speaker 1: Really, and then I was like, this doesn't sound Jens an independent one. She does what she wants to do.
Speaker 3: Of course she does.
Speaker 1: I love how it's always fears for Aniston, who is a wealthy, beautiful, indent woman.
Speaker 5: And they're expressing these fears to the tabot where they are.
Speaker 1: And then an example of this would be that he is launching a new book called The Book of Possibility soon. And as I say, he's a coach, so he's all about you can do it, you can do it, blah blah blah. You can dream of dating Jennifer Aniston in one day.
Speaker 5: That's a compelling person on narrative.
Speaker 1: He has, he manifested that, and she is launching it for him. She is doing an event, a proper like online event. You can either get in real life tickets or sign up tickets to go and watch Anniston interviewing him about his new book. And that evening ends in a group meditation.
Speaker 6: Session You're going to do this for us, right we go?
Speaker 3: That would be virtually good.
Speaker 2: Say you can go virtually?
Speaker 3: I think you can.
Speaker 2: I'm there with you. Great, let's do it.
Speaker 1: So this is the thing is that so the friends who are And that led me to think that whether or not her friends really are, whether Chelsea really is when you're dating and concerned very that's her friendship for sure. Is whether your friends are concerned when you're dating in midlife, You've probably had those friends for longer than you have obviously known.
Speaker 3: This guy, and will ever know this guy?
Speaker 1: Right, she's fifty odd, she's been hanging around with Courtney Cox and whoever since she was twenty of and this guy even if they're together forever, like you know, and I wonder, will your friends ever butt out of your life?
Speaker 6: By the way, I think Courtney is fine with it, Like that's the vibe I'm getting Courtney is I think it's Chelsea and Jason who'll.
Speaker 4: Wor because their holiday with Jason and Jason's wife.
Speaker 3: I think he goes, he goes to the Sunday night model.
Speaker 5: I mean, the thing about gender.
Speaker 6: I think that's such a good point, Holly, that like your friends are always sort of innately skeptical of these Johnny Cume Lately boyfriends. The thing is that Jen Aniston is a famous friend.
Speaker 5: By that, I mean.
Speaker 6: Not just that she was on the TV show. She is famously good at being a friend and keeping friends and her Sunday night dinners where Jimmy Kimmel comes and you know.
Speaker 3: All that group.
Speaker 1: That's I was upset to see she wasn't at Taylor's wedding because that could have those circles could have overlapped, but they didn't. But if I was suddenly single, Mayor, would you ship me with the man in finance or the woo Woo guru, the woo Woo guru.
Speaker 6: I mean, look, given that you given your algorithm, I think the choice is clear.
Speaker 4: I'd ship you with that guy with the long beard who's on the gardening show, and maybe, say Costa.
Speaker 2: I think you guys would be stay.
Speaker 6: I have a serious story here, which is that when I got together with my husband, I experienced this exact thing because we met in my early thirties. By that point I had had friends, very close friends for decades, and a lot of them, when they didn't know him, were a bit skeptical because they because it was a fairly accelerated romance.
Speaker 1: That's what the other thing people are worried about with Jim and Jen. They think that she wants to.
Speaker 5: Marry him now eventually.
Speaker 6: I guess it was probably easier for him to win people over, because I think the woo of this is adding an extra level.
Speaker 2: Of good for your tribe to be skeptical of an interloper. I think that's good. I think that's protector.
Speaker 6: Show protectiveness and care, and that's ultimately how I read it. But at the time it was a little bit sort of annoying to me because I sort of wanted them to just trust me, and it seemed like they weren't trusting me to make the right decision. But in retrospect, I've come to understand that it was protectiveness.
Speaker 1: Well as Jen's extended tribe. I think it's up to us to go to the meditation session and make our decisions about Jim after that.
Speaker 2: Don't you think I'm there for it?
Speaker 4: Great out louders on Wednesday, and it's still July, apparently.
Speaker 2: Still winter.
Speaker 6: It's still I'm never going to get over the soft launched him in October and then hard launched him in November.
Speaker 2: I think you'll find it was September.
Speaker 6: Look, I don't know how many days there are in the months, but no which month she hard launched.
Speaker 1: That accurate about my head space. I'm sorry out louders, I am who I am?
Speaker 3: What can I say? We will be back in your ears.
Speaker 1: Thank you for being here with us as always. We're going to be back in your ears tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Love you bye.
Speaker 5: Do you think they're olive oil? There was a bit of skepticism when she got together with Popeye.
Speaker 2: I was like OLIVI.
Speaker 5: Was spinach.
Speaker 2: I think he's on Roys.
Speaker 5: I'm not getting over the Royds.
Speaker 1: Bama Mea acknowledges the traditional owners at the land on which we've recorded this podcast.