Speaker 1: So much. You're listening to a Muma Mia podcast. Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and borders that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 2: Hey spillers, this is producer of This spill Minisha, just jumping in because today is a public holiday here in Australia, so we don't have our usual daily episode for you. But don't worry, we would never leave you without something to listen to. So we're bringing back an absolute classic where Laura and m hit you with all their top book recommendations of all time. Just perfect if you're looking to curl up with a great read over the wintery long weekend.
Speaker 1: Enjoy. So you might have heard me mention this before. It is my single biggest achievement in life, my system of how I organize books and how I recommend books, and it was born out of this idea of that so many of my friends and colleagues over the years would come to me and want book recommendations because I'm such an avid reader and I get very passionate about my books, and a lot of the time, to sort of forget the tone of what someone wants, you have to ask them what they're in the mood for and I feel like the best way to do that is to liken it to a food or beverage, because you know, when you're like you're deciding to go out, You're like, what do you feel like? Do you feel like this? VI dinner? Do you feel like that? And that's how you get to the heart of what someone wants. You can't just give them a random book. And so I set up this system, which is the vodka, vegetable chocolate.
Speaker 3: System, the most chaotic types of meals and drinks I know.
Speaker 1: And some people are like, but vodkas are drinking. It's a food. I'm like, no, no, we don't.
Speaker 3: Like, I'm not alcoholic. I'm like, no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: It's just a vibe. It's a feeling. You can drink vodka as you read, but you don't have to. That's not the rule. So it's the way I categorize my books. So my friends and I now have a shorthand whether they'll want a book, and I'll say and they'll be like, oh, I need a vodka, but I also like, I'll take a vegetable with me. And that's how I dole out my books. So just sort the categories out vodka. These are books that you potentially want to hit really hard and fast in one night. A page turner, a thriller, something exciting. You have to know what happens next, Yeah, exactly, So potentially will keep you up all night because you have to finish it. All of my biggest vodka books I've started in the afternoon. I finished at like one am, two am, so you sometimes do have a little bit of a hangover the next day. And it's not the kind of book you can read every day or every week, and like you have to space your vodka books out, But they are the books that will give your buzz.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 1: Vegetable books. Now, some people think that vegetable books are the books that we don't want to read, but that is not true. Now, they're not the boring books because we need vegetables exactly. The thing is, you need vegetables in your diet, and when prepared correctly and when written correctly, vegetables can be delicious. It's just that sometimes if you want something sugary or like a hit of vodka, that you're not in the mood for vegetables. But there's something that you that are very satisfying, that good for you, and you feel very good after consuming them, and that is what a vegetable book will do for you. So they can sometimes be like, you know, a classic book or historical book or something. Everyone's books and these genres are different. But for me, it's a book that I might It's not one I'm like craving, but when I consume it, it's satisfying and I feel good, and I know that these books should make up a big part of my diet. That's a vegetable book. But vegetable books are also some of my favorite books. Yeah, me too, So again, vegetabooks aren't bad, we have.
Speaker 3: Vegetable books are also the best ones to preach about when someone asks I need something new to read.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. It's like you want to say to someone, oh, yeah, I made like a butternut squash bake last night.
Speaker 3: I've made a salad.
Speaker 1: You're like, yeah, I made a salad, and I feel good about that. That's the same as telling someone that you read a vegetable book. So often they're the ones that people have prominently displayed in their homes, or they're vegetabooks are ones that people love to put on Instagram, like just casually reading.
Speaker 3: Casually read quiet all the rest in front of British furniture.
Speaker 1: Just casually read War and Peace. That's a vegetable vegetable book. And then we get to chocolate books, which is just a little sweet treat. I've got to say a lot of my diet of books is chocolate books.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm like eighty percent.
Speaker 1: If that's nothing wrong with that, because again, chocolate import it doesn't mean they're frivolous, doesn't mean they're silly. It just means that they can be a bit comforting, they can be a bit light. They're easy to just pick up and snack on, like you could just read a few chapters here and there, and they just make you feel good. They're like a delightful little treat that comes into your life. So that is how we are setting up the episode today. We're going to do one book each for vodka, vegetable, chocolate, and yeah the best. The only kind of diet we care about is a book diet, and that's all we're here to talk about.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to go first. I'm starting with the Veggies. This is a book that I have actually read twice, So I know a vegetable book twice, that's impressive. I think I read it twice because I didn't fully grasp it the first time I read it, And there are like a lot of storylines that I felt like I skimmed over when I probably should have really concentrated on. The issue I have is that I'm a really fast reader, and that doesn't change depending on what type of book I'm reading. And when you read a vegetable book really fast, you don't actually sit with everything. I only said with what you finish. And I had to go back in this book and then take it much slower.
Speaker 1: Do you find that sometimes when you're reading that your eyes are darting ahead, like the bottom of the next page because you know where that's where the cliffhanger is going to be.
Speaker 3: And I get excited. Yeah, I'm kind of like when you're watching a movie and you get like really like angsy about it. Yeah, it's similar with books. And then I'm like, wait, oh what your mind wanders and then you're like, oh, I have to read this page again because I have no idea what just happened.
Speaker 1: My trick for that because I only maybe it's different if you're on an e reader or something, but I'm old school only read physical books. Cover it. Yeah, I hold it because it's always the cliffhanger is on the second page on the right hand side. So I read like this where I have my hand over the page and I don't lift it up until I'm getting to that bit. So weird.
Speaker 3: Why do we do that? Like why do your eyes just like have a mind of the I.
Speaker 1: Also sometimes if I'm in a really exciting part of a book, I stand up because I just I just see it from the book to know that I'm present, I'm in there with.
Speaker 3: Don't do that like when you're in public, because that's quite alarming. I just stand up on a plane. So my vegetable book is Girl Woman Other and it's a novel. It's a novel by Bernardine Evaristo. She won the Book of Prize in twenty nineteen for it, and it is extremely complex. Have you read it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I have.
Speaker 3: It's so confusing. So that's the main reason why I had to read it twice because I would always recommend it to people and they're like, what's it about? And I had to be like, wait, you explained the witch shot explaining it's literally that they're like, so, why are you recommending this? But I am recommending it because I read it twice and I love it. So it focuses on the experiences of Black British women across different generations, and it does like all the themes like identity, race, gender, except in sexuality. There's twelve characters like I count to twelve. That possibly is more, but each character has their own unique storyline, which is where I think I got confused the first time around. But the three main characters that I think have the deepest storylines that are constantly hearing from. We first hear from Ama, who's like a playwright. She's a feminist, and she's kind of like one of those really strong femine that's also trying to navigate the landscape of feminism as it's changing and as we become like more modern. She has a daughter named Jazz, who's a university student who's also a bit confused in her life. And then AMA's best friend's name is Dominique and she's currently struggling in a domestic abuse of relationship. They all are such interesting, well thought out characters, and the entire novel like spans across more than a century in British history, so you're seeing also history come within this novel, which is really interesting. The hardest thing about this book is that every Stow's style of writing is described as free flowing and poetic, and that means there's no punctuation in the entire book. I think there's one full stop in the entire novel relief for me, I can breathe. But I think that's why I read it so fast the first time. There's no sentences, so.
Speaker 1: You didn't know where to stop. You just kept going.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I probably had my first broke at that one full stop halfway through, and I just kept going. But I think a lot of people struggle with this book because I can't get past that. And when I read it for the second time, it just made everything so much better, Like I fully immersed myself into her style of writing, and it just felt like one big, massive thought that's just spanning across these generations and these years, and it was just such an experience of reading that I've never had before, and it was just so beautiful. It's such a brilliant book. I highly recommend it to everyone. I would say if you're not an avid reader, this is probably a really big one for you to start with.
Speaker 1: Don't if you haven't read a book for ten years, don't leap in with this one.
Speaker 3: Don't leap in with this one. But if you love reading and you love like just the description I gave you, this needs to be on your list.
Speaker 1: Oh I really love that. Okay, my vegetable book. I only realized after I had finished making my notes of this episode, and I had very painstakingly picked my book for each category that I've picked novels that I all read as like a young teenager, because this is the first time this idea started for me in my head of like these different books. So I've somehow picked my very first vegetable word cod chocolate books by accident. So my vegetable book is The Color Purple, which so good. I had such a vivid memory of I think I got it from the library and like the school holidays when I was like fourteen. I was like, I read it around.
Speaker 3: The same age. Yeah, my nana gave it to me and I was like, Nana.
Speaker 1: Famous book. And I remember just like through the school holidays really trying to like I loved reading it. But I also it was the first time I was really struggling to get through a book and I had to sort of sometimes remind myself to go and read it and finish it. And it's the first time I remember telling myself as like a teen, like, no, no, this book is good for you. You need to read it, you need to finish it. And so The Color Purple came out in nineteen eighty two. It's a novel by an American author called Alice Walker, and it was hugely successful after it came out. It won the nineteen eighty three Pulit Surprise for Fiction and also the National Book Award for Fiction. That Alice Walker is actually the first black woman to win for fiction in the Plitzurprise category. So that is obviously so well deserved. And one reason I wanted to read the book before I saw the movie or anything like that is that The Color Purple has kind of sprung up into this whole cornerstone of pop culture and entertainment over the years. And when something like that, yeah, exactly, and when something like that happens, I think it's really important to read the source material so you can you can understand what it's across. So it was adapt into a film in nineteen eighty five, directed by Steven Spielberg, and it had Whoopi goldbergs star as the lead. And then it became a men Epra. Yes, Oprah was in it too, as Sofia Danny Glover. Like all Star cast. There was no Made for eleven Academy Awards. Didn't win any, but it was no Made for eleven Academy Awards. That's important to note. It then became a Broadway musical in two thousand and five, and then just last year it was adapted into So is the adaptation of the Broadway musical into a movie, which if anyone hasn't seen that, it is just incredible. I loved it so much. So it's a story of Seely, who's a poor African American girl living in rural Georgia in the early nineteen hundreds. She is very close to her sister Netti. They're being abused, they get separated, and then attracts Sealy's life over thirty years.
Speaker 3: It's such a sad story.
Speaker 1: It is so sad. I remember just like being in my room on the summer holidays, my siblings are out in the pool, my Mom's coming to my room and she's like, why are you crying here?
Speaker 3: And other Yeah, right, especially the book because the book is like way more traumatizing than the Marrie.
Speaker 1: I should say. The book has a bit of controversy over the years in terms of like some of the way it depicts domestic abuse and rape and sexual assault, and some people think it it's not handled in the right way, and some people think we're reveling in pain. There's a huge long history there that I won't get into it. It's quite graphic. It's very graphic. Yeah, just a warning of reading it. This is not in any way a light read. But I just think it's such an incredible story. You just feel like you're in it when you're reading it, and it's so important, and I just think sometimes we have to read things that are difficult and sit in those stories.
Speaker 3: It's important because it's depicting what actually would have happened.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, exactly one hundred and it really kind of is a moment in time where women but especially African American women in Georgia in that time, just have absolutely no rights, and you see the pain and torture, and sometimes those characters like the side characters in those kind of novels where you just seen there's like you know, they're the servants or they're like, you know, the supportive like woman of color in the background kind of thing. And so this is like taking that story and putting it front and center. So it's a difficult read, but it's so beautifully written, and it's my first memory of kind of like making myself read a book outside of school and being like, I'm so glad I read that, like I needed to know that story.
Speaker 3: Okay, moving onto vodka. I remember I got this really mixed up because I thought it was about the speed of how you read, and because I read really fast, I would get my vodkas and chocolates mixed up quite often.
Speaker 1: But like I said, it's sometimes a chocolate book for me, bite me, a vodka book for someone else, or a vuable book, like it's a very personal decision.
Speaker 3: I'm all vodka here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So my vodka book I want to talk about is Yellow Face of Kwan. I've read this book so many times. It is so good. It's like a very fast paced kind of like psychological drama, but it's also very funny and very hectic and I think the pace of the novel dictates the pace of how you read it, because you're constantly wanting to turn to the next page. So it's about this writer, a white writer, and it's important that she's white. Yeah, named June Hayward, who's in publishing. She's writing books, but she's not really making it like she's struggling a little bit. She has a friend who's very good at writing books, and her name is Athena, and Athena is an Asian American author, and they both kind of started out at the same time. They're both the same age, except Athena just went skyrocketing, like writing amazing stuff, and June is kind of hanging out in the background. Athena suddenly dies. It's like the craziest dead scene I've ever read.
Speaker 1: Every time I'm eating it home, I think about choking to death from that. It is that part of the base.
Speaker 3: This isn't a spoiler because it happens quite early. Yeah, the entire the first few pages. So Athena suddenly dies and June was with her, and then after she dies, June finds a manuscript of a novel that Athena was currently working on and June decides to develop a pseudonym named Junipersong, which yes, does sound like an Asian name, and publish Athena's novel under her alias. And then what ensures is just like so many critics and people in like think of Reddit threads and people who are book fans trying to figure out who Juniper Song is and then trying to make connections like how come this girl June is suddenly like taking off with like all of these shows and stuff like that, Like people are starting to figure out who really wrote the manuscript, and it just dives into this whole world of I want to call it modern racism and modern microaggressions of what happens when you have a white person who is a complete ally suddenly gets support from people who aren't allies, and like how that dictates how they see people of color. It is just so incredibly done. It is really funny. The lengths that some of the fans go to try to expose her is insane, but it also just shows how far you're willing to go just to be famous.
Speaker 1: I love this book so much. It's one of my vodka books as well, because I read it all in one night. I couldn't stop them, like I have to know because the build up of like is she going to get caught out? And who's going to catch her out? And who are those anonymous messages coming from? And then you start thinking, wait, is Athena even dead? Am I going crazy? What's happening?
Speaker 3: It's so good. I went to actually watch iv Quan speak and she came to Sydney to speak, and I went to get my book signing. It's a whole drama. I was last in line, and then they cut it off right at me. It was so I had my book and I was holding in front of the security guard and I was like, please, sir, just me, It's just me one morning. He's like, sorry, that's the hundred limit. And my Mom's like, please got my book signed. It was really sad. She speaks so well. She's actually a fantasy writer and this was like her first like no like chick lit novel, and the fact that it was her first was just amazing because I'm not really into fantasy, but she's a massive fantasy writer and so what she said was really interesting because every time I recommend this book to someone, they either hate it or love it. And She said that she loves that people hate her characters because that's exactly what she was going for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're everyone.
Speaker 3: In this book is so unlikable, like every single person, but they feel like real people. It's so brilliant. Okay, what is your vodka?
Speaker 1: Okay, my vodka book? She just had vodka with us. I know it's I actually do have some on my desk. Someone sent it to me. So this is the first book I stayed up all my reading. I'm really painting myself as a cool teenager.
Speaker 3: We love especially you say your siblings are outside playing in the sun and you're just crying over the color.
Speaker 1: That is mean a nutshell. So when I was fourteen years old, I went into the school library very early before my first class, and by past the nuns who were restacking the books, and I got this very battered old copy of Bram Stoker's Dracula.
Speaker 3: Oh, they were definitely trying to hide that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't believe it wasn't even in I went to a convent school. I can't believe there was even a copy around.
Speaker 3: Some none was like, I'm going to change history and these girls are going to read Jaculas my.
Speaker 1: Sister a Gena'll shout out to you. I'm sure a lot of people know the like Dracula obviously the character, and this is the first definitive book his origin story, you will. So it was written by Bram Stoker, who's an Irish author, and published in eighteen ninety seven. I mean, it's a Gothic horror novel and it is just so it's almost for some people might be a vegetable book because in some cases it could be hard to follow because it's as.
Speaker 3: A very like archaic language.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to an extent, not as much as you would think, like I guess, like you know, there's a vampire here, just transcends time employees. But it's a lot of it's told through letters and diary entries, newspaper articles, maps, all that sort of thing. So you know, you've got to sort of put it together. But it sounds like a lot of work. But most of it is just a narrative, but it's told from different people's perspectives. But it is just such an incredibly gripping story. So it starts off with Johnathan Harko who's a solicitor and he travels to Transylvania, to visit this nobleman called Count Dracula because you know they're gonna sell them some property and.
Speaker 3: It's just anos Ferati.
Speaker 1: Well, no, no, because nos Feratu is a rip off of Dracula, as you know from our previous podcast about that topic. And so Dracula is obviously a vampire and then locks Jonathan in his castle. I'm obviously going over a lot here, and he moves to this tiny seaside town of Whitby where Jonathan's fiance Mina, who's staying to see say that, and he starts killing people. And then you've got Van helsing who is this? You know, who knows who is trying to hunt him down? And it is just this incredible, like visceral, intense story, full of violence, full of death, full of sex. As a fourteen year old, I had not known. My only instruction to vampires was Buffy the Vampires Like, and I was.
Speaker 3: Like, tell me, this was your sex education.
Speaker 1: It maybe it kind of was, I don't know, and I just remember. So I got it out from the library in the morning and then all day through all of my classes, I read it under the desk because I was just like, holy sh I said it all trying to read books under the desk.
Speaker 3: And I was like, that's who straight porn for.
Speaker 1: I was just like, my heart was beating in my chest so fast, because no, it's so violent and graphic. I read it at home on the bus. I read all afternoon. I read it into the night. I think I finished it with a torch under my blanket that night. This is a massive book. It is absolutely huge. Most people say this takes them a month to read. I finished it about two in the morning, and then I was so both terrified and just enamored and freaked out that I stayed up. That's the first time I stayed up all night as a teenager because my eye was just overcome by this book. And that is the idea of what a vodka book is. There's even lines I remember reading for the first time of like when one of the characters, because Jacula is feeding on I don't want to ruin exuse obviously, Wan, you want to go read it when Dracula is like secretly feeding on this one young woman all night and she's slowly turning into a vampire, and like the moment she starts to turn, where she starts describing like the blood pulsing through her veins, and she's like, oh, I can hear the mice down in the cellars below scurrying about because everything's getting better. And then like the moment where like Jacula comes through when she's just about to die and she screams and ecstasies her vampire lover, and I was like, what is happening. It's just so, it's such a good book.
Speaker 3: You've hooked me.
Speaker 1: I think you should read it. There's also an incredible film adaptation. No it's called Bramstoke Is Dracula, because I wanted people to know it's a direct movie based on the book. So it's got when I'm in a writer and Countu Reeves and Gary Oldman, and it's completely pulled from the book. And the cast actually sat down and read the entire novel in like a few days, not one day like I did, but a few days so they would have the exact flow and pattern of the store. Sorry to film the movie, so read the book first and then watch the movie.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay. For my Chocolate book, I didn't write any single note because I thought we could just both of us go to town on this. Yeah, it is so basic. So if you're gonna call me a basic bitch, I know, Okay, I know this book is basic. But there's a reason it's basic, and that's because so many women love it. Okay, So that's not even a good insult, even though I'm talking to myself about Okay, stop stop stalling.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: It is everything I know about love by Dolly Albert.
Speaker 1: That is not a basic book. That is a beautiful book. And you know you're beautiful for recommending it.
Speaker 3: The reason I'm recommending it is because I'm reading it right now, because I read it after every time I go through a heartache.
Speaker 1: No, no, Boddy, So you.
Speaker 3: Can guess why I'm reading it right now. I read it so many times because it's been so many It is a memoir. She started writing it when she was twenty eight, which is my age now, and I think it was published and really got everyone going when she was around there, and then she completely took off as an author after that. It's about love, it's about breakups, it's about friendships, it's about living in share houses. It's about annoying problematic men, regardless of their age. It's about just kind of accepting yourself. It even goes into death and things like that and your parents getting older, and it's one of those books that makes you feel like you're not isolated with every thought you've had. There's been so many like moments, I think, especially as a young woman in your twenties, where you have a thought or you have an experience and you think this sucks, and like, who do I talk to because surely no one's ever gone through this before, And then you read Dolly Alton's book and you're like, oh shit, I was completely wrong. I've never had an original thought in my life. And it's just so good because I think this book has just formed so many friendships in a way that we've all just started talking about these kind of issues that we've all gone through as growing up in your twenties, whether you're in a relationationship or single, or you had friends or you don't have friends and you're making new friends and your career, we're all just like becoming more vulnerable and open with each other in a time where we were kind of brought up to believe that we always had to compete with each other. And I think this book has done so much in just like making women feel really good about having each other in our lives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, obviously, I love this book so much. It's one of my ultimate chocolate books. I love so much that I've got a copy at home that I reread all the time, and a copy at my desk care at Mama Mia that I lend out to people.
Speaker 3: Such a good book. I'm getting so emotional talking about it. I think everyone men should read this book. Yeah, everyone read this damn book.
Speaker 1: It's so good. Okay, I love that my chocolate book is also about friendship. We're so cute.
Speaker 3: The greatest loves you'll know are your female friends.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. So my book is actually called Circle of Friends. I found it really hard to pick a chocolate book, and then I found it really hard to pick a book from this author because it's written by May've Binchi, who I think is my favorite author of all time.
Speaker 3: But I'm excited for this because I haven't read this.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm so excited for you to read it. Because May've Binchi has so many books out there, and each one of them is just a masterpiece. It's one of those authors where you can just like any book that she has written. You can pick up and just know that you'll have an incredible time reading it. And it was hard to pick, but I went with a circle of friends. Again. I read this as a teenager. My mum gave it to me because she loves May Binchi as well. It's set in Dublin as well as this like tiny town outside of Dublin Island called Knocklin in Ireland in the nineteen fifties. And it starts off with so the two main characters are Even Benny and they live in a small town of Knocklann. Eve is an orphan but her like rich family live in the town and they just gave her up when her mother passed away. She lives in a convent with nuns. Benny Benny lives in a big house with her parents. Eva's tiny and gets bullied for being an orphan. Benny gets bullied for being very very tall, which I obviously related to as a teenager, that everyone calls her big and awful and all this sort of stuff. And they become these two best friends as kids when they're ten years old, and then the story jumps forward to when they've finished school and they're going to university in Dublin. There's this whole big story about how they get there, and then the story is about them in Dublin as like growing women and everything it happens, the new friends they make, the big love stories that they have, these group of people they make. There's this huge kind of scandal that happens towards the end of the book, which I'm just like, if any friendship group has had a scandal, it's this. Honestly, I only threw the book across the room when it happened. I was like, made Binchi, you did not go there.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And it's just such a lovely, comforting book. And also just the detail of May Binchi's writing is why it's chocolate because she describes you know, those authors can just like keep you enamored by describing the room and what everyone's wearing, and like the dresses that they have made for this first big college ball they go to and the first time that one of them dances with the hottest guy and starts dating him, and like the food, the hot chips they get at the pub before they jump on the train to go out to Brain you know, all that sort of stuff. So yeah, the oldimate chocolate books. So if you haven't read any of Mee Binchi's books, Holy Hell, because also, like I said, they're scandalous, some of them found like scandal light. But if you love a book that's just about like normal people who go through an intense situation, that's what a lot of her books are about. So read Circle of Friends. That's your holiday reading. Read Circle of Friends by've made Binchi. Then read The Glass Lake, Holy Hell, that's a page turner, and then read Evening Class. They're my top three for.
Speaker 3: He Okay, we've got a little list, so much time to do, so thank you so much for listening to the Spill today. We hope you really loved the This Book special episode because we love reading so much and we definitely want to recommend more books next year. And if you want a more deep analysis of the vodka chocolate vegetable theory, LB has done an extremely viral article on it that explained everything for you, so you can have it as like your little prep doc while you go before you choose your books. We will link that article in our show notes. We're also gonna keep being in your ears till we get back on break which I guess is not even a break if we're saying that we have so much content coming out, don't we Yes.
Speaker 1: So this it might be our last day in the office, but we have so much new content for you guys coming out over the summer break, some of our best episodes.
Speaker 3: We've had so much fun with these episodes.
Speaker 1: We're going through celebrity scandals with celebrity breakups, but also we're going through the best new TV shows of the summer. So we'll have so many recommendations coming for you guys. We're doing best new movies, we're doing books. Just so much good stuff coming out. I know, I've got so many little like funny things that I took during some of our recordings, and I'm going to post when the EP's come out, and I'm really excited about.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm excited. So we will be back here in your podcast feed on Monday. See you they bye.