Speaker 1: It's a December night in two thousand and Elena is peering through the peepole of her front door in Sydney. He's here again. Ever since she broke up with Kai, he's been turning up at her home, begging to be let in, to chat, to be given a second chance. She can tell he's been drinking, but there's something else his eyes. They look different. She opens the door a crack, and he barges the rest of the way in. For the next few hours, Kai essentially holds her hostage in her own living room. Then he goes into the kitchen and things take a sinister turn. He returns with a knife. I'm Jemma Bath and you're listening to True Crime Conversations, a podcast exploring the world's most notorious crimes by speaking to the people who know the most about them. Kai is not his real name. We have pretend did his identity because in this episode we have been given a rare opportunity. Not only are you going to hear Elayna's story, her version of events from that terrifying night twenty six years ago and the devastating impact that followed, but you're also going to hear from Kai he has agreed to be interviewed to tell his side of the story, to apologize publicly for what he describes as the worst mistake of his life. Elayna and Kai have moved on with their lives, but for the first time in nearly three decades, they're revisiting the domestic violence attack that changed everything. Our podcast is the first time they've revisited the incident that gave her PTSD and him a criminal record. You're going to hear from Kai in part two, so look out for that in our feed. But first, Elayna is a wife, a mother of three, an educator, and a somatic therapist. This is her story. Elena, thank you for joining us on True Crime Conversations. Why have you decided to share your story today?
Speaker 2: O great question, Genmah, thank you for having me. It has been a while since this happened. I've shared it in pieces and bits and bobs before, but it seems timely to talk about how you heal from really big, difficult things that you know, this took me out for a long time and now I kind of feel like I'm on the other side of it, and I think that's really really important to share.
Speaker 1: Let's go back to the mid to late nineties, early two thousands, Who were you as a person, What were you doing with your life? Well? I was floundering in many ways.
Speaker 2: I had, you know, been a sort of a student in too University, started a career in public relations, and it had fallen down, and I had ended up working in the film industry, which was extremely exciting but pretty you know, sporadic work in Sydney, and I have been on and off jobs and you know, struggling to pay rent. And I set into this kind of really exciting phase of my life where I'd met this man in a cafe and I thought he was just amazing, and he said, come away with me.
Speaker 1: You know, I've got a van.
Speaker 2: So I gave notice on my apartment and the night before he said, ah, actually maybe I'm just going.
Speaker 1: To go on my own. Oh why does I feel like every twenties? He was a really good looking Okay.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I kind of moved to my mom's house, went to New York for a month on like borrowed money and visited my dad who was living there, which was pretty amazing. So I was having a really amazing time, but also didn't really know what was going on or where I was going to land, And the night before I went to New York, I met a guy and when I got back, we kind of connected and I ended up moving in with him for a while. And it was a pretty interesting time. I was trying to establish myself in my work in film, but also trying to make money in other ways, you know, working in administration or temp contracts of you know, various things, and so it was sort of precarious, but I was very grateful to have somewhere to live. I moved to Bondai and moved in with a really cool couple of people, one of him it was a DJ, and so my life was good and also weird. I once again, I think that's every twenty year old, twenty something year old's life, all my life back in my twenties. So the guy you met was Kai. Yeah, what attracted you to him? What was he like when you first met him? A very unusual person, really, yeah, an ex pro athlete and culturally different to me, Pacific islander, and you know, a really inspiring human actually, and someone who seemed to me like a protector, someone who wanted to kind of take care of me and give me safe harbor, which at that point in time was really compelling.
Speaker 1: So you met he him, went away, and basically moved straight in with him. Yeah. Well I didn't have a house.
Speaker 2: I didn't have anywhere to live, and he was like, we've got a spare room, you know, but it was it was our shared room.
Speaker 1: Like it was just straight in. So it really would have fast tracked your relationship. Do you remember those early days of the relationship. What was it like. I mean, it was fine.
Speaker 2: We were kind of making house, but also he worked nights and he was a doorman, and so it was kind of lonely as well.
Speaker 1: It was a real mix.
Speaker 2: I was fairly i mean, unstable in my life, right, so he'd given me a place to stay. I don't even think I was paying much rent. He was going out to work every night, and there was an expectation that I stayed home and waited for him.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: There was a little bit of a power dynamic. I think some of that was cultural. I think there was an element of wanting to take care of me and protect me and keep me safe. But it was a definite imbalance. I felt a little kind of on the kept side, or like in debt to him. Yeah, most, and that's not a kind of a healthy way to kind of live. And when I think about that, that makes sense, doesn't it? What comes later? So, for example, I would be at home and he'd be going to work, and he'd sort of imply that I shouldn't go out or I should stay home. And at the time that didn't raise any alarms. I was kind of like, Oh, this isn't that sweet that he wants me to wait for him. I was really naive about that. In hindsight, a bit of a red flag.
Speaker 1: It's almost got a little bit of the coercive control tendencies to it, which I grew up in a family with so very familiar to me, almost Oh my definition of love, you know, that's what families are like.
Speaker 2: I didn't even recognize that until much much later in my life. The nature of coercive control is quite insidious and sneaky, you know, and you know, weirdly, the people even in it don't realize it's happening.
Speaker 1: Had Kai shared much with you about his life story? Did you know much about him? A little?
Speaker 2: So in pieces, And I wasn't really aware of the breadth and depth of his situation at that time, and he had his own really deep traumas and adverse circumstances going on in his family, some loss and you know, it was quite tragic what happened in his family, but I didn't really know anything about that at the time.
Speaker 1: How did things start going downhill in your relationship?
Speaker 2: So I started to cotton on that, you know, he was out most nights, so we were sort of ships in the night. I also started to cotton on that I wasn't getting the full story, you know, that he was going through things that he wasn't being completely transparent with me about. And it got to the point where I realized that living with him wasn't really the best idea. So a friend of mine had a spare room in Bondai, and I moved there. And it was a really good decision to do that, and to move in with my friend, who was a very dear friend who was also going through a breakup, you know. So I started the process of kind of leaving the relationship and saying, this is a really intense relationship. I think you've got some things going on. I think I've got some things going on, So I'm going to move out let's just keep it really, you know, there was no big drama there, but he didn't really accept the end of the relationship.
Speaker 1: How did he react, Well, I don't really.
Speaker 2: Remember any big fireworks, but I do remember him coming over a lot to my new place too much and me saying, you just can't keep coming over here all the time, and he would say, I just want to sleep on your floor, and I just you know, I was his safe spot as well at that time, I think, or one of.
Speaker 1: When he was coming over. Was it ever? Were you ever scared of him? Was he ever aggressive? No?
Speaker 2: I mean he's physically a very large human, so there was always, I guess awareness of that. And I had always felt quite safe around him. But when he began to unravel a little bit less so, a little bit less so, not so much that I didn't feel safe, but more I was concerned and I could see something was going on and I didn't really exactly know what. And he would, you know, go to the pub and then call me at midnight and say I need to come and see you, and I'd be like, I don't want you to come over.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: So we then sort of started in this thing where I was being kind because he'd been kind to me and taken me in and you know, kind of attempted to help me out, and so I felt a little bit of an obligation there, which was an interesting kind of situation.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So then my flatmate would go, why is he coming over? All the time they go, well, he's having a hard time, you know.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't like you were trying to, oh, like, maybe I'll give him another chance, I'll take You'd not the decision. I know, the relationship was over. You were just kind of trying to be My kindness was my weakness, I'd say, yeah.
Speaker 2: And I was probably a much more of a people pleasing person then as well, probably really scared to disappoint people.
Speaker 1: Young women hardly conditioned not to say no. Did you were late twenties? Yeah? I was twenty eight. Yeah. So it's interesting to hear that lead up because the night that we're about to talk about it was very different to all of these other times. Very Yes, So you heard a knock, did you know? How did it all start? So?
Speaker 2: I got a phone call, right, and he had been at the beach with his friends and family and drinking, I think, and he was ringing me incessantly, thing I need to come over, and I need to come over, and I was saying no. I was at this point where I was like, I've got to say no. So I kept saying no. And then he showed up on my doorstep and I heard the knock on the door. Kind of knew it must be him because I didn't have a lot of friends in the area yet, right, I was fairly new to the area.
Speaker 1: Went to the door.
Speaker 2: My spidery senses were like, do not open the door already yep. I just had a feeling. And then I don't know why, something overwrote it and I kind of looked through the little peep hole saw it was him, and he looked really distressed, you know. So I felt for him, and I opened the door.
Speaker 1: And you hadn't at that stage, had any reason to fear this man.
Speaker 2: No, not really no, I mean he was a dorman, Like I knew he had to him at you.
Speaker 1: No, not at all, not at all. So you open the door, you let him in? What did he do?
Speaker 2: What was his kind of pushed past me. So the moment I opened the door, I saw his face and I looked in his eyes and I saw someone else. I was like, this is not the guy I know. Instantly knew something was going on that was different to other times that I'd seen him, So he.
Speaker 1: Was in a darker place.
Speaker 2: I think now I would say that was a psychotic episode, but at the time I just looked at him and thought, oh my gosh, like, who is this guy? This is not the guy I know. He pushed past me, walked straight in. I started saying, You've got to leave. You can't come in here, I told you, and followed him down the hallway into the living room. And then it gets a bit fuzzy at this point. To be honest, there's a few things I remember. I remember he wouldn't let me leave, so I would try to leave and he would block me. And this guy you could not push past. He was not that kind of guy. And I didn't want to get into an altercation as well, So I wasn't being very physically pushy with him, right.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to.
Speaker 2: Encourage that sort of physicality, So I was talking. I was trying to talk my way out of it. I was like, I'm just going to make a phone call. Don't worry, I'm just going to make a phone call and I was going to call the police, and he knew, and so he This is when it got a little bit more hairy. I reached for the phone and he pushed me, and I fell backwards over the couch. Luckily kind of knew how to fall because I've got some training, and I fell backwards and kind of flipped, and that was actually my only injury. It was the wrist that got sort of pulled on the coffee table upside down, doing a backward arch look, trying to save myself.
Speaker 1: Because you give your martial arts at.
Speaker 2: This point, Yeah, well I wasn't training actively, but I had done for five years in an earlier time, a few years prior. Yeah, was he talking to you at this point? Was he what did he want?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I was trying to astain that right, and I don't really remember a lot of what he said because I was calculating, you know, how am I going to save myself. I could not tell you how long we were in that room, I don't know. And I was trying to raise my voice sometimes to let people around know, like to let tenants in other flats and things know that I was in trouble, like you have to leave, and things like that, like why are you keeping me here? I was saying things loudly to kind of alert people in other apartments, and I think he was.
Speaker 1: Maybe there was some yelling. Yeah, I don't really remember, so at this point, yeah, was their fear? Yeah? Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: At that point, I was like, I don't really know how I'm going to get out of this, and I also didn't understand, like where does this go? Like what happens next? This is a bit scary, So there was a lot of uncertainty. There was a lot of also just shock at the situation because he had not been like this before, and he clearly wasn't himself.
Speaker 1: So I was.
Speaker 2: I was scared and confused and calculating, yes, and trying to work out how to get.
Speaker 1: Out of it. Will you say that you flipped a way out after being pushed. It did escalate from there, and he somehow made his way to the kitchen. Yeah, what happened then?
Speaker 2: So I still don't really understand why I didn't just run when he went to the kitchen. I think I was probably a bit frozen at that point. There was probably a part of me that started to get to the point of like, Okay, I don't know what to do now, and I think I got a little bit frozen at that point. I don't really remember exactly what happened there. I know he got a knife from the kitchen. It was big, it was like one of those global massive, the biggest one, and he just stood between me and the hallway and the door and held it out in front of him. And I don't remember what he was saying, or I don't really remember much else except oh fuck, Like this is a whole different level now, and I'm really in danger. You know, before that, he was an angry man and I was a little bit stuck.
Speaker 1: But at that moment.
Speaker 2: Something different had come into the picture, something far more terrifying. And you could see he had terror in his face as well, like I don't know what I'm doing or what I'm going to do, you know, there was a real confusion on his face as well.
Speaker 1: After the break, Elena tells us how she disarmed Kite to get out of the dangerous situation. So he's standing there holding a knife, kind of staring at you. Yeah, how did you get your way out of that?
Speaker 2: So, Fortunately, because I had lived in King's Cross as a young lady walking home on my own. I was aware that the world is not the safest place for young women walking the streets of the city. And I had done some martial arts and I'd really loved it, and i'd done it for five years. And in the martial arts that I trained, you do learn knife defense, you learn to disarm people with knives, you learn a little bit of technique. So I knew that I had something that I could do. I was a little bit scared of doing that because then it's quite unpredictable, Like you lunge at somebody. If they want to, they can engage in something. But the martial arts that I had learned, it's a defensive martial arts. It's not really about escalation or fighting. It's about defense. So that was fortunate, very fortunate, potentially life saving.
Speaker 1: But it means you have to get into his space.
Speaker 2: Well I was in his space. He was pretty close already. So again I'm still a little bit I don't really understand how I managed to do this, but I reached towards his wrist, which is kind of one way that you can get a knife out of somebody's hand.
Speaker 1: But this man, his risks like three times the size of mine.
Speaker 2: So I kind of knew that wouldn't be effective, but it was like, I have to do something. So what was interesting about it on reflection was that it turned the tables.
Speaker 1: Shocked him absolutely right, because he wasn't expecting to come at him. No, not at all. Nobody comes at him. He's huge, you know. So you grabbed his wrist and well, I didn't grab it.
Speaker 2: You sort of do like an X and sort of it's a technique and it's just a way of moving it away without hurting yourself with the knife.
Speaker 1: So it wasn't a grab. It was kind of like a block, Okay, an intentional block in a way. Do you think it saved your life one hundred percent? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I do, because I don't think he was him and I think he was just escalating.
Speaker 1: So I don't know. I mean, I don't know. You can never know, right, how do you know? But maybe once you'd done that block and he was obviously taken, he was shocked. He was shocked that way. He ran.
Speaker 2: I ran right, I ran out the front door, and you're yelling, had alerted neighbors. Yeah, so I ran downs on the top floor. I ran down about three or four floors down a flight of stairs.
Speaker 1: Pretty pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: As I was getting down to the lobby, the the door of an apartment opened and a woman said, come in here.
Speaker 1: So she could hear you from all the way. Oh yeah, wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean also I was I may have been pushed around a bit more than I remember, so they would have been banging, like when I got pushed, they would have been banging around. So yeah, it was really interesting. She invited me into her apartment. She had a baby in her arms. She was a nurse, a courageous nurse, I would say, in that moment. She said go into the bedroom. And then her husband started flipping out and getting angry at her for taking.
Speaker 1: Me in because he was terrified. Well, yeah, they don't know who this man is terrified and wanted to protect his family. I understand that.
Speaker 2: So she and he were having an argument and she's like, be quiet. You know, I'm hiding in the bedroom. Go.
Speaker 1: I can't believe I'm in a house and they're having an argument. Now.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, I mean, I'm laughing about it. It wasn't funny, obviously, but it was kind of absurd. You know, there was a lot of absurd moments. Actually, when you look back, it's like, I can't believe this is my story. There's a lot of disbeliefs still, and so the police eventually came and then I do remember. And this is the bit that like, if you were making a TV drama series and you show the end before the beginning, this is the bit you would show. It's me crouching by the wheel of a police car on the street. It's a Tuesday night, it's dark moon. There's seven police cars and they're putting on there gear. They attactic because he was armed, so they have to put on all the So there's like seven police cars, wow, and a lot of movement. And they said just sit there, you know. So I'm crouching. I'm like, this is so ridiculous. I mean, I've just I'm shaking and you know, in a mess. And they said just stay there, you know, to just put me somewhere. I guess to hide me. So I was literally crouching on the street and sort of watching people like walk around, trying to work out what was going on. And then he was in the windows of sun room and he's in the window upstairs with the knife.
Speaker 1: You could see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were trying to negotiate with him.
Speaker 1: It was pretty bizarre. How did they end up bringing him into custody? Well, I don't really know that story. Yeah, that's a question for him.
Speaker 2: I guess if he remembers, you know, it would be really interesting to read that in a way.
Speaker 1: But if they had placed you at the car and all left you there, does that mean I guess they didn't all leave me.
Speaker 2: There's usually someone coordinating, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They then took me to the police station for statements, and my beautiful flatmate came with me, and we were there till two in the morning.
Speaker 1: And yeah, do you remember that time in the police station and giving statements? I remember this kind of in it's like polaroids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's like I don't remember it in a in a fluid sequence.
Speaker 1: Memory does strange things, doesn't it, especially when there's trauma involved. Yeah. Yeah, these are my memories. It is my experience.
Speaker 2: And you know, I still get some of those postcards flashing up, you know, because I still do.
Speaker 1: I do martial arts again. Now.
Speaker 2: I had a twenty year break with children and sorting myself out, and now I'm a second degree black belt. So when you train, you know, you do you train with knives, and if I'm on the floor of the you know, on the mats and I'm training, I'm highly sensitive to the instructor's you know, sense of safety, how he holds that space or she holds that space. Sometimes you get you know, occasionally someone who's not aware of my situation or my history, and they can be a little insensitive, you know, and I often just have to sit down and kind of you know, breathe through it, or sometimes just stop training. You know, I take care of myself. I have a different sensitivity to that kind of training now, which.
Speaker 1: Is completely fair.
Speaker 2: But it's also really good that I have that training and I can still do it. You know, It's taken some doing. I have had moments where and this is a really interesting other conversation, is that movement, martial arts intense movement and confronting some of those fears in a way, or bringing those fears with you. I wouldn't say I confront them. I would say bring them with me onto the mats. And there are times where I fall apart, you know. And the people I train with, fortunately for the most part, are amazing, and they will say just keep.
Speaker 1: Moving and I'll spa crying. You know, really, do you think that retraining after twenty years, has it's brought all of that back for you? Maybe brought what back? The emotion if you're crying while sparring. Yeah, I don't know if.
Speaker 2: It brings it back, because it's always there, all right, But maybe it allows me to move through it. Differently, It gives me the opportunity to move through it, which is something I really believe in. We don't go round, We don't suppress, I mean we do, but ideally we find a way to express and move through those deep emotions, those past hurts, those wounds that we carry.
Speaker 1: When you think back to once you'd had a chance to catch your breath and you've done all the police stuff and you were alone again, do you remember how it felt? Yeah, when you tried to, when you were like what just happened? So the year following was, you know, a year of PTSD. Because when you get attacked in your home, particularly something you know, there's no comparison between adverse events, right, every single one is different, But when it's at home, your safe place isn't safe anymore, so you never feel safe so the PTSD's pretty intense.
Speaker 2: It's very physical. But of course I didn't know I was in PTSD. No one told me that for eleven months.
Speaker 1: Wow. So my life was.
Speaker 2: An utter binfire for that year, and no one knew what to do. God loved them the people around me. I mean I didn't have a lot of people around me, but the people that loved me didn't know what to do. So I isolated and I drank, and I tried really hard to stay in employment.
Speaker 1: It didn't really work.
Speaker 2: I moved multiple times, I get kicked out or you know. It was just it was a nightmare. I was hallucinating.
Speaker 1: Wo.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was a really intense experience. I could spend an hour telling you what it's like to have PTSD. For me, what that was like, it's very bizarre.
Speaker 1: So it was it was very physical but mental but psychological. It's like everything in your bod'm screaming, but not because you're numb, right, So so the brain protects you from retraumatizing yourself.
Speaker 2: So you go into this kind of weird lalla land. And I literally was hallucina. I remember driving part while I was on a bus going past a building site and you know when you see those spiky pieces of metal before concrete goes in and they have yellow. I saw a field of daffodils, and I was like, I remember this so distinctly because I was shocked that I'd never noticed this beautiful field of flowers on my bus route before. Wow, Like that's how I know that. You know, you're it's so beautiful. Really, what your brain does to protect you just takes you to another place.
Speaker 1: In that eleven months, Had you sought help?
Speaker 2: I mean I was in complete denial. Okay, there was no help to seek, honestly. I mean it's year two thousand. I'm a young woman. The police were my only people.
Speaker 1: I could talk to about it. Like, who else do you talk to about it? They're not interested? You know. I wasn't going to go to the police station so I can have a chat.
Speaker 2: There was no counselor or female violence person or any of those things.
Speaker 1: It was none of that.
Speaker 2: But I remember a few things. I remember my flatmate, who was just beautiful one night just said I can see you're really hurting. I'm just gonna lie next to you and just lay next to me on my bed the whole night and just like held my hand. That was the only person that actually was and then soon was like, you know, because I was a mess, and so he sort of said, I think you might have to find someone else to live who's going through his own stuff, you know, so I couldn't pay the rent, you know what I mean. It was just awful. It was an awful year, clinging to jobs and losing them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and at the same time, he was going through the court system because he was charged, so there.
Speaker 2: Was an av O in place, which which was broken. Actually, at one point he followed me home one morning and I skillfully led him to a hotel lobby so that it wasn't on my own and then went to the police station reported it.
Speaker 1: And that was really scary because that would have been the first time you'd seen.
Speaker 2: Probably yeah, yeah, I'd say, so, yeah, yeah. He was just like it was five in the morning. I was coming home for friends place i'd stayed at, and he was sitting outside a cafe that we used to go to a lot, just sitting there on a milk crate. I probably quite drunk, and I was, and it was like two blocks in my house and so I thought, you know, it's no one around.
Speaker 1: I just casually walked to a hotel lobby and.
Speaker 2: Walked around secretly, like quietly, going help me, help me, please call the police. You know.
Speaker 1: That was pretty for long. Do you remember did you Did you go twenty of the court proceedings? Yeah? I did.
Speaker 2: I think they wanted me to, and I don't remember a lot about it. I remember waiting in a room to be called. I remember going in there and being pretty kind.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did understand on some level that what he'd done was not intentional. Weirdly, even though he threatened your life. Yeah, weirdly, Like I don't know. I'm a deeply compassionate person. I've experienced some things in my life, and so I think I had some compassion for him. I also was very clear that he needed to go to court and he needed to face the consequences. I didn't want to protect him from that, and I didn't want to protect him from the natural consequences of what he'd done. So I think I was just quite a matter of fact, you know, I was honest without Yeah, he was.
Speaker 1: Con forty did to you? Yeah, I got a criminal record. Were you able to move on a bit after the because what was caught, like, for you, what was dealing with all the police and all of those systems? What was that?
Speaker 2: Remember March? I don't remember much. I think there was a woman next to me, and I think it was fairly brief. They just pulled me in, got me to say something, and I left like there wasn't They didn't put me through the whole thing, which is which is great. Yeah, right, And that's why I actually didn't even know he was convicted. Didn't until recently. Yeah, we spoke recently when I said I'm doing this podcast about you. Let's have a conversation, and we spoke about what happened after this event.
Speaker 1: So you didn't even know what had happened? Not really? Oh well, I hadn't remembered. Y let's put it like that. Well, you had your own stuff coming on.
Speaker 2: It wasn't my key focus what was going on for him, that's for sure. No, Yeah, I was a complete mess.
Speaker 1: It wasn't.
Speaker 2: It wasn't until I think eleven twelve months later. I went to a GP and I still remember her her name. Actually, I was not so straight. I remember it very clearly. And she listened to my story and she said, you've got PTSD.
Speaker 1: Do you know what that is?
Speaker 2: So I'm pretty sure from what you've told me. Even now I get chills because no one had named it.
Speaker 1: This is a bit where I cry. Was it a turning point for you? Well? I had been like I had become like anarexic.
Speaker 2: People would stare at me when I walk down the road like I honestly, I felt like I wasn't really worth anything.
Speaker 1: I felt like my.
Speaker 2: Not really, I wasn't worth anything. But there was no point eating. That's how it felt.
Speaker 1: Like. What was the point?
Speaker 2: I just felt so lost, so deeply lost, and pretty unsupported. I'm sure there was people that were trying to support me, but it wasn't getting to me. And it was a really hard time, and I felt very alone and vulnerable and being a sort of single young woman experiencing trauma without the right support, you know, in a community of people that know you as well, like it's kind of visible and seeing, you know, people would see me.
Speaker 1: His family was in that area.
Speaker 2: I remember one of his brothers saying something really nasty to me when I walked past him on the street. I felt very exposed and kind of blamed actually, because he was like someone who was generally a great guy. So there was this kind of inference that I was somehow at fault.
Speaker 1: Right, how gross is that? It is gross?
Speaker 2: And so I, being so weak and vulnerable and at my worst moment, I think, took some of that on and that was awful, and so I.
Speaker 1: Felt very very.
Speaker 2: I don't know, guilty or or like like I was a terrible person or had somehow brought upon myself or made a mistake or you know, not clearly thinking those thoughts. But that was at the heart of it, and that had come from things earlier in my life as well. Let's be honest, I had my own stuff that that was activating. Yeah, you know from earlier in my life, earlier life traumas, family traumas, like other things, and this is what happens. Something happens, and all the other traumas light up. So I was in that place, very dark place, and so when this woman said to me, I think you've got PTSD, I was like, oh my gosh, like there's a name. And somehow that ability to be witnessed and seen in the pain that I was experiencing was absolutely transformative. And she put me on sickness benefits you know, she gave me some time to just recover, you know, and a little bit of care.
Speaker 1: I can imagine that's only the start. Yeah, what did that healing journey look like? How long have you got there?
Speaker 2: I continue to make some poor decisions and end up in difficult situations, not as bad as that, But I had another relationship, which again beautiful, amazing man, but we brought our traumas to the table and it was difficult. And so I had a child at thirty one and at four months he was four months old, whisplit up. And I was a single mother for about seven years. But in that first two years I was recovering from so many things, and it culminated in a period of homelessness, and you know, I had a caseworker and then ultimately eventually that that was my kind of ultimate turning point, to be honest, where I went, what is my lot?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What has my life become? And he's my beautiful little boy, you know, and he's like eighteen months old, and I'm homeless, and I'm still in really precarious situations and there's it's nobody's fault, it's nobody's doing.
Speaker 1: This is my life. I have to do something, and that was the.
Speaker 2: Point where things really really changed for me and I got some different support and went on this like quest, personal development quest, and that was kind of that seven years five to seven years, well, I guess was five years was my was my quest, and that was a lot of things.
Speaker 1: When people hear about really violent things happening like this, I think it's hard when you've never experienced this to really understand the long tail it can have. Yeah, oh my gosh, yes, Like we're talking to you twenty six years after the fact, I'm still feeling it. I'm like my bellies and to hear how it kind of affected the next decade and then the decade after that. Like this one traumatic event, the power it has to kind of shatter so many different aspects of your life.
Speaker 2: It does, and I always see it like it connects the dots. It's sort of to me, I feel like it's like festoon lights, you know, those string lights, and I feel like this is one of the bigger ones, right, but there's all these other little ones and they connect. There was a series of events that led up to me being too kind to say no to a man that I knew had the potential to hurt me at the door. I can take full responsibility for that. I'm not blaming myself in any way, but I can see how that occurred. You can see I can connect the dots, and that's where the work for me.
Speaker 1: Was to be done. Up next, Elena tells me how she feels about Kai today and about the power of forgiveness. When I first started talking to you, yeah, I was really surprised to hear the way you spoke about him. You weren't. Usually when someone does something that violent, it's very like I, you know, we hate that person, we're not talking about that person. And immediately I saw that you didn't feel like that and that you had had some sporadic contact with this man. Can you explain that a bit? Because this man, this man held a knife to you. How did you get to that point where you can we talk about forgiveness? Yeah, So this is a tricky topic. Okay.
Speaker 2: It's a tricky topic because when something like this happens, that's not when you do the forgiving, Okay, And forgiveness is not something you can fake like this. Forgiveness is a process, and for me, it's a process that I do actively do for myself, and I do that because when something happens that is traumatic, that wounds you, that leaves a big hurt behind, you know, the trim thing that we talk about now often is Drama's not the thing that happened. It's the wound that it leaves and the wound that it leaves. In my opinion and my understanding is that we hold this experience that we had, a part of us stays there, and we hold it inside us, and when we do that, we stay connected with it. You know, if you say point to my chair, I can point to the chair. If you say point to gem Or, I can point to Gemma. If you say, point to this experience. It doesn't live here. It's not real here. It's only real in here in my head and heart. And so it only lives as long as I give it that attention and stay connected with it. Now, you don't get to choose to some degree how connected you are with an event, certainly not in the first years after it or maybe ever. Okay, But for me, I was aware the amount of energy that I was spending keeping this thing going inside me, on staying connected with that, on keeping a part of me there. So the work that I've done over the years, and it's a lot of years, you know, and very decisive and active, intentional work, and certainly not on my own. With a lot of help, I have come to understand that when we forgive, and actually the next step of transformation is gratitude. Like this is a weird one. I'm extremely grateful for these experiences, and that's very strange to say out loud, but it's not. If you bear with me that when I can forgive the situation and the person and myself, I reclaim that energy. That energy comes back to me. I get to use it in the present. It gets to be my vitality. It gets to be my courage because it takes so much courage to do this process, to forgive something so awful that's courage, and courage is hard. So I want to use that energy for the courage. I want to use that energy for my life now, for my kids, now, for this to be able to tell the story, to be able to work with other people with their past heurts and wounds. So that's my choice. The gratitude step is that now I understand how those things made me who I am, that woman that let him in the door is this woman.
Speaker 1: And without that woman, I wouldn't be me now.
Speaker 2: So I'm incredibly grateful that this occurred, as weird as that is, and that doesn't come quickly, and that doesn't come immediately maybe ever, and that's okay.
Speaker 1: Is there a difference between forgiving the experience and forgiving the man? Though? I don't know? Maybe, because how do you feel towards him now? Ah, this is.
Speaker 2: A strange question, right. I feel affection towards him, and that's because I know him, and he and I have been in a community, you know, for years and years and years, and we were before we met. That's how we met. And his best friend I've known since I was eighteen. We were in this really cool subculture of like hip hop and music and clothing and parties in the in the late eighties and early nineties. It was a really special time. It was a really tight knit community. And so I still see that man my friend, and occasionally, very occasionally I still see Kai, not very often. But it was funny not that long ago, I was at a gig and I was meeting my friend and Kai was there first, and so we hung out a little bit and it was interesting.
Speaker 1: But he's said sorry to me. He said sorry to my.
Speaker 2: Whole family, as he's told my family if they ever need anything, he's there. He's told me if I ever need anything, he's there. He knows what he did and he is happy to make amends for it, and he's had his own reckoning in his own way, which I can't speak to obviously. But we spoke before this because I called him to say I was doing this and to let him know about it, and we spoke for the first time about what happened afterwards, you know, and that was an incredible experience as well.
Speaker 1: And with your blessing, we're going to speak to him. But what was it like for you to hear his side? It was fascinating.
Speaker 2: Actually, I didn't know what it ensued for him, you know, I knew, I guess a little more than originally the reasons that he had become psychotic that evening. I understood later what had led up to that for him. I don't excuse his behavior in any way. I don't condone anything that he did, but I forgive it because I need to, because it serves me, because it allows me freedom, the energy that it gives me to not have to stay there and hold that is worth it. And it's like I say, it takes a lot of courage and it has led to me being a much more understanding, like the breadth and depth of my experience is so much greater for it. And so that's a true gift and I use that in my work now every day.
Speaker 1: Not all women survive they're attackers. Not all women are in relationships that it would be healthy to go back and talk to that person. And I do think we need to acknowledge that while telling your story. This is a very nuanced and individual situation. But there are so many women out there who are terrified of their attackers course, and they should never engage with them again. And I don't want anyone to listen to this and think, oh, oh my god, I should reach back out. I just want.
Speaker 2: To state really, really clearly that the way that you navigate what happens for you is absolutely yours. No one can tell you what's right, no one can tell you how to do it. It's so personal. You know, I mentioned that I went on a quest that was my quest. Nobody will be the same, No to are similar. And this is not me saying this is how you do it. There is no This is how you do it. There's no roadmap. The quest is not mapped.
Speaker 1: That's part of.
Speaker 2: It, right, and absolutely every single day I will say to anyone who comes in and says, oh, what should I do?
Speaker 1: Are you safe? That is the question? Are you saying? One question? Always?
Speaker 2: Because if you're not safe, you can't do shit, There's nothing. Safety is the only prerequisite to anything else. So safety in your body, in your circumstances, physically, emotionally, is underpins the whole story.
Speaker 1: You now help other people, don't you. You're tell us what a somatic therapist is firstly, so.
Speaker 2: I answer this question differently every time I do it, because every session is different. I do something called root cause therapy, which is a very specific modality, but I also am a somatic therapist, which essentially means that I do therapy where we go through the body first. So I am teaching people. Are helping people to understand the signals their body is sending them, and I'm helping them to interpret those signals and learn the language of the body and become more whole as a result. Because parts of us, like I said, fragment off when we have traumas, parts of us stay there, and trauma is a word that is a bit controversial. Let's just say wounds or past hurts, unprocessed emotions, whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 1: But there's a big link.
Speaker 2: We know now there's a lot of research into the way that there's a big link between very real mental emotional physiological symptoms and the way that we have experienced emotion or experienced our past, or experience our emotions day to day. So you know, the suppression of emotion or the inability to deal with things in our past can become symptoms, very real symptoms.
Speaker 1: Do you think our current systems are set up to support people that are experiencing these hurts, these big violent hurts at the hands of other people. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've got to say I'm not an expert on the systems. I'm an unconventional I'm an alternative, alternative health practitioner, So I can't speak as an expert. I can tell you what I hear from my clients every day and friends and family that there appears to be a gap. And I don't think this is anybody's fault. I don't think a doctor, a nurse, a police woman, a policeman. I don't think any of these people are at fault here. I want to be really clear about this. I think that the frameworks that some of them are given are limited. Even psychologists, psychiatrists, they do a great job of what they do, but I think some some of their frameworks have a gap. And that's the gap I'm noticing day in, day out, And it's something to do with the interaction between our own conscious mind, which I believe is our body. Our body holds an innate wisdom. I mean, I say, I believe there's a lot of research into this. It's not just me that believes this. There's you know, psychotherapy is built on this. There's a whole lot of stuff that's built on this idea. Traditional Chinese medicine are evetic medicine, forms of medicine that are thousands of years older than ours acknowledge this. So when we start to bring in that kind of understanding that the body is our unconscious and that it holds things for us, and we start to interact with that, and we allow nurture and save spaces, and we allow the power of a witness, a caring, compassionate witness, it is transformative and that sometimes just in the busyness of you know, a crisis situation, like emergency workers and doctors and specialists, and you know, they're busy, they're doing their little piece of the pie, and I get that, but it sometimes gets lost and missed. And I speak to people every day who experience that.
Speaker 1: And you're kind of seeing these people after those services haven't helped them. Sometimes, yeah, yeah, sometimes.
Speaker 2: It's a huge variety of people. I see men, women sometimes in crisis, sometimes dealing with a crisis that happened many years ago because it's starting to come up, starting to be activated for them by their life at the current time, or they just get symptoms. They don't know what's going on and they need help to work it out, Like why is this happening to me?
Speaker 1: You know, given what happened to you and then the work you do watching our world right now, the fact that a woman is dying at the hands of usually a man, every once a week, what's that like for you to see that playing out?
Speaker 2: I feel helpless, I feel motivated. I do sometimes volunteer, and I do what I can. I feel at times overwhelmed by that fact and the way that I've chosen to approach it is that I don't know. My skill set is not suited to prevention. I have some really amazing friends working in that space. The only way that I can help with prevention is to empower women, or to help them know themselves, or to help them trust themselves. You know how I said, I had a spidery sense. Body told me I'm a somatic therapist. My body told me do not open that door. But at that point I wasn't trained in listening to it. Our body gives us so much information that we don't listen to. So my approach now is to give people that I'm really motivated to work in the space of that gap with people in that system as well. I would absolutely love to find a way to advocate for the people in there doing this work where the first responders, whether it's the martial arts instructors, you know, because a lot of people end up doing martial arts after while in incidents, to learn to be just a bit more trauma informed and to understand how to show that care even amidst all the hustle and bustle, and how to understand I guess you know what people in those situations need and in a way that goes beyond just the practical.
Speaker 1: It's hard because I want to talk about martial arts, and yeah, I was thinking, I don't women shouldn't have to learn martial arts, but well, it's interesting because it's not on us to stop violent men. They need to be working on themselves. Martial arts isn't only that I was going to say, tell me about why we all need to be doing martial arts.
Speaker 2: Look, there's a huge, huge place when you're dealing with any kind of deeply difficult emotional situation. Movement is medicine.
Speaker 1: Like we know.
Speaker 2: You ask anyone who has done even high performance athletes or weightlifters or dances, anyone who's done really intense physical activity that they will tell you it's more than just that. I mean, it's a whole it's a whole self activity. So you know, I mentioned that having past hers and traumas can can fragment us, it can keep part of us in the past. Or when you bring it all back together and become fully present in something that's transformational. And I often say that you won't be able to call yourself back from your wounded past unless you are able to build safety in the present. So building safety. Yes, self defense is safety. I do not feel afraid, rightly or wrongly. If I walk down the street at night, I don't feel afraid. I always get a shock when my friend says, oh, well you walk me to my car, I'm like, oh really, because I don't think that way.
Speaker 1: Don't you.
Speaker 2: I just don't because I would ask you. Most women do, that's right, most women do. A man recently who I sort of sometimes work with, said do you want me to walk you to carr And I sort of burst out laughing.
Speaker 1: Here's trying to be nice, you know. I was like, I don't think. I don't think I need you to.
Speaker 2: I can protect you if you want, you know what I mean, Like, I feel confident in my ability to protect myself.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's brazen, but I'm trained, you know.
Speaker 1: And martial arts. From what I understand is it doesn't matter the size of the person. It's about the skill. I'm that big, yeah.
Speaker 2: And I train with very big men for the most part, very big strong men. No, it's it's technique.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a little harder if you don't get the technique right, that's for sure. But when you're.
Speaker 2: Training martial arts. You're in a place of complete immersion. You have to be you got someone you know.
Speaker 1: It's high stakes.
Speaker 2: So when I'm training ideally, when I walk on the mats, everything stays outside. I'm in an interaction. It's a collaborative. It's a group again.
Speaker 1: Groups.
Speaker 2: I think groups and other people have a huge place in healing from difficulty. I think that, you know, doing things on your own, isolation is your worst enemy if you're going through something.
Speaker 1: So there's that.
Speaker 2: There's the community element. You build trust with men. That's amazing for someone with my history, and physically it makes me strong. Emotionally it makes me strong. It's not easy, but there's a resilience element, and there's a consistency. I'm not great with consistency, but I kind of have to show up. If I want to grade to a second degree black belt, I have to keep going. It makes me show up. So it gives me a lot. Yeah, it gives me a lot. It's not really about the self defense and the fighting. In the end, it's about meeting yourself. It's about becoming whole in more moments. That's how it feels.
Speaker 1: I think I need to start martial arts. Yeah, I think everybody does.
Speaker 2: I'm really interested in the intersection between martial arts and healing from trauma, and this is something that might come into that advocacy. I'm sort of something's hatching. It's hatching. Yeah, watch your face.
Speaker 1: Your son. You went on to have two more children, Yeah, I have three kids. How has everything you've experienced, particularly going through something like that. You know you've got girls, So how how's it influenced your parenting and the way you've brought them up into the world.
Speaker 2: I guess you know, I have concerns for them at times, but they're not me as well. They've had a very very stable upbringing for the most part, and certainly the second two have. The first one a little bit less so. But we've done a lot of work to support him, and he's been well supported throughout his life. And my current husband, who said he might not listen to this podcast, by the way, is an amazing man and has become a safe space for me and a protective for me in a way and for my kids. And so we are lucky, very fortunate to have that experience, extremely fortunate, and I think my kids are aware of that. I'm pretty honest with them. My young boy, he's nine, He said, I told him a little bit about this just in case someone heard it, you know, And I told him, you know, there was a man who was going through really hard time and then he got a knife and mummy got away and she was fine. And then he said, yesterday, are you doing that thing with the man who had the hard time tomorrow? So you know, I do my best to kind of give them what they need to understand the world, but also in kid not.
Speaker 1: Dump them innute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm pretty honest with them about it. And you know, I worry sometimes for the world. That is obviously like all of us. But I choose the love and not the fear. To me, that's the that's the choice from an internal level.
Speaker 1: You have so many hats. And the other hat that we haven't brought in yet is that you're an educator. Yeah, you've worked with a lot of teenage boys, and I'm interested in your perspective on the next generations. Yeah, given we are seeing these statistics around, we're seeing a lot of this mannisphereund give us some hope. What's the next generation.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a good segue, love not fear, you know, young men young boys. They are exposed to a lot and they are also, I think, sometimes quite isolated.
Speaker 1: I've noticed.
Speaker 2: What I've noticed is that you know a lot of people as a result of what we hear and as a result of the society we live in. There's not a lot of intergenerational places. There's not a lot of places, but we get to know people at different ages.
Speaker 1: So I've you know, just casually.
Speaker 2: Heard comments from like midlife women of I hate teenagers, or you know, it's the parents fault, that sort of stuff. Yeah, and I understand why, Like I don't blame them for thinking that. But my approach to this is we need to stay close no matter what. We need to stay close. We need to stay close with our families, with our extended families, Our young men and women. They are growing up in a really crazy world that I think we barely understand that we didn't grow up in right, and we don't have to understand all of it to know that connection between us and them is absolutely key. That said, it is not safe for these men and boys to be exposed to what they're exposed to. It is not safe for a lot of young women. The statistics are abominable and I'm not going to be a Pollyanna and gloss over that it's abominable. And I hope that we're going to be intervening more and more in this. I think there are interventions coming more and more. Social media has a part to play, but I don't blame social media. People use social media. I think we need to take some responsibility for our disconnection with our young people, and I think we need to step in. But in the moment, I mean, I've had hairy moments with groups of young men, as a lot of people surely have. And it's challenging to be around a group of young boys in a pack and they do gee each other up. It's in their brains and nervous systems to do that at that age, right, So we got to be careful how we handle that. And it cannot be allowed and it must be addressed and it must.
Speaker 1: Be called out.
Speaker 2: And I'm big on ethical bystanding, big on ethical bystanding that we need to you know, one person getting surrounded by a group, what do not walk past that?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Stand with them, Yeah, talk to them, look at them, just witness it. Power of witnessing is very underestimated.
Speaker 1: I think if someone has been listening to this podcast. What are you hoping that they take away from it? If they were to take one thing.
Speaker 2: That's a hard question and it's so personal, right, I hope they feel less alone. I guess my intention in telling this story. You know, stories are really important. Humans have a collective journey through challenge. That's what it is to be human. Life doesn't stop. Bad things happen, okay, But when the bad things happen, when the horrible, unimaginably bad things happen, it's really important that we know that it changes that we move through and that there are infinite ways to do that, and that if you can and when you can find the right support, get to the point where you can accept what's happened to you and find the right support and reach out and not be isolated and understand who you are through that, how your identity has changed, what it's done for you. That is where the magic is the magic and the transformation doesn't come from anything else but within you. It's in there already. That's what I kind of want people to know.
Speaker 1: We've asked you to kind of go back and relive in creating this podcast, in asking you to come on what's that been like for you. It has been twenty six years and we've asked you to kind of go back into your memory. I'm not gonna lie, it's uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I felt really good about doing this, and I do still feel really good about doing this. Actually, I feel privileged to be able to to have the ability to speak about it, to have the ability to tell the story from the other side. I think that's kind of remarkable. Wasn't ever able to speak publicly or openly for a really, really long time about anything, So it's a skill and a privilege. But also I guess I feel supported. I just feel like you guys have been amazing as well. That it kind of gives me a good feeling that these stories can be heard and can be told in a way that is gentle and safe. And I'm really grateful that I feel supported enough to tell it, even by the man that did it. So that's remarkable to me, and I don't discount that in any way. So a lot of things go into it. It's been pretty hairy to tell it, but I also think that it's sufficiently important to experience that I brought my courage, I bought my resilience.
Speaker 1: Listeners are also going to hear Kui's side of the story. Yeah, you have allowed us to do that. I felt a bit of trepidation asking you that I felt because of the conversation we'd had and how you'd spoken about him, I felt comfortable asking you. And your response to me was that's a great idea. And I thought, what a unique kind of situation. What do you hope people get from hearing his side? Because often in these scenarios, we don't hear them. Man, we don't hear the apology, We don't hearing that the kind of journey from their side.
Speaker 2: I have to get whatever they need. I mean, I don't know what that is, and I don't know what he'll say. I have an idea what he'll say.
Speaker 1: What are you hoping he says?
Speaker 2: Actually, I'm not invested in what he says. Funnily enough, I hope he can tell his truth. I think the world needs more truth. I think we need to be more able to tell our stories. Stories are something that humans carry and have a lot of power, and they help us connect with each other and understand what we have in common. And I don't think there's enough of that in the world, So stories for me are connective and I believe in that.
Speaker 1: I really believe in that. Thank you to Elena for joining us on this episode. You can find links to her work in our show notes. This is part one of this episode. Part two is my interview with Kai, the perpetrator in this case. You can find a link to that in our show notes. I'll see you over there.