Speaker 1: You're listening to another Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to a special drop of Mamma Mia out Loud.
Speaker 3: I'm Hollywayne Right, I'm Amelia Lester.
Speaker 4: I'm Jesse Stevens, and.
Speaker 2: Four of us here. There are four of us gathered here today for a very special reason. We are doing two episodes that round up all our best recommendations.
Speaker 4: To be There are a lot of fresh ones as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Amelia isn't normally on Friday, so she never gets to do recommendation.
Speaker 1: Which is a shame because I love losting people around. Hey, can I just say having four of us in one spot? You know how the royal family has these rules that the people at the top of the succession ladder can't travel together in.
Speaker 3: Case there's a playing crash. This worries missus. I'm just going to say it.
Speaker 5: I hope no one has an illness.
Speaker 2: So you know, if anything goes really tits.
Speaker 3: Up, she could one by herself.
Speaker 5: That's the most terrifying detail is that Mayo would have to step in.
Speaker 2: So we've gathered up recommendations ones either our favorites from ones we gave you this year or fresh E's for Cross two episodes, and we're going to take turns and we're going to start with movies. Jesse Stevens, would you like to kick off?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 5: Mine is a Netflix documentary that was the best Netflix documentary I watched all year. If you haven't got round to each.
Speaker 2: Jesse, you watch how many Netflix documentaries do you think you watched this year?
Speaker 4: I reckon I watched two a week.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, easy, more.
Speaker 5: Than more than yeah, and most of them are fine, but this one, can.
Speaker 6: I guess what it is?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Poop Cruise.
Speaker 4: Oh that was great.
Speaker 5: It's not that, but I love Poop Cruise. I will second that recommendation. It was Tighten the Ocean Gate Submersible disaster documentary.
Speaker 2: So just a second, we are kicking off our recommendations special for the festive season with the documentary Submarine Exploded. Several people was very sad, Jesse stee. But it was also like, I was so obsessed with that story.
Speaker 7: There was no way of knowing were Titled was going to fail, but it was a mathematical certainty that it would fail. Stockton saw an opportunity to restart tourist visits to Titanic.
Speaker 2: Stockton fully believed in what he was doing and that it would work.
Speaker 3: He wanted to fame to fuel these ego theme.
Speaker 7: I have no desire to die.
Speaker 2: I understand this kind.
Speaker 3: Of risk, and I thought Stockton was a borderline psychopath. How do you manage a person like that who.
Speaker 2: Owns the company?
Speaker 5: The way that the headlines were coming out and there were rumors that you could hear tapping, and there was the timer of just like these people are stuck. I find something about submersibles so innately terrifying that the idea that these people went down and something went horrifically wrong. There is so much more to that story in terms of it. There is fault and there is hubris involved, and like the narrative in the way it's put together and the people who tried to blow the whistle, it is just fascinating.
Speaker 4: Have you all seen it yet?
Speaker 3: I have seen it.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's as good as poop cruise.
Speaker 3: It just I mean.
Speaker 1: But what I did love about it was that there were a lot of people who, like you say, were trying to solve this disaster waiting to happen, and they did, including an Australian. If nobody saves me correctly, but they just won't listen.
Speaker 4: To exactly right.
Speaker 5: It was so so good. So that documentary is my number one Netflix stocker.
Speaker 2: And I think we share one of our number one I came through in a special extra so our joint favorite movie. And I have to caveat this that I realized this year I went to the movies, probably less than I've ever been to the movie. Movie tickets are quiet expensive, and also it just I don't live someone near movies anymore. But I think I'm also representative of a lot of people. Unfortunately. I've just it takes a lot. But this movie was so good and it was sinners.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, I've.
Speaker 8: Been all over this world. I've seen me and die ways. I ain't even know as possible. Lave you, brother, be careful. I will with all the things that I've seen. I ain't ever seen no demons, no ghosts.
Speaker 1: No man.
Speaker 9: Feel Now, I think this movie made it in my letterbox.
Speaker 6: Top four? Are we all on letterbox here?
Speaker 2: No? What?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 9: Letterbox is also people are using it as a dating app now, but it's kind of like good Reads for movies. So it's an app that you have on your phone every time you watch a movie, you rate and review it, and then you can follow other people and like their ratings and reviews, and on your profile you choose your favorite four movies of all time and sin it's made.
Speaker 1: It in Okay, can Somehow? I have literally never heard of this. Can You tell Me Everything Spill?
Speaker 9: So it's directed by Ryan Coolidge and it stars Michael B.
Speaker 6: Jordan.
Speaker 9: He plays twins. And I think it's sat in the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 2: No, it's not, Yes, it's not. It's like in the twenties, he said, like way when Oh dear.
Speaker 4: Seventies way back, because.
Speaker 2: It's super old.
Speaker 9: And yeah, it's a very vampire it's like horror, but camp it is so good. And there was a lot of contention around it because I feel like we're in this age where the movies that make money right now are movies that are either a franchise or they're like a remake of an IP, and this was an original IP and it made billions. It did so so well. You can now stream its on HBO.
Speaker 3: Is it a horror? It's about vampires, so it sounds scary.
Speaker 2: It is scary, but it's kind of note. The broad story is yes, Michael B. Jordan places these twins. But it's kind of a racial story, it said, in the Deep South. It's hard to explain, but basically it's about jazz music and music and vampires. And it is so original and funny. It's so funny and sexy and good and just like Edge of Your Seat, it was great music. Yeah, the soundtrack is extraordinary. It's one of those really original movies in a familiar genre like vampires. Oh, but it's just a very Can.
Speaker 5: I ask a question about it because I watched it on a plane. I really enjoyed it, but I desperately wanted to then read analysis. Is it like an agree for something? Well, I think yes, yeah, but I feel as though it had this deeper meaning that I maybe didn't quite get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I couldn't tell you what that was, I said. I mean, it's obviously about racial politics and stuff in the in the Deep South in that time, and it's about a whole lot of things. But it's also just the kind of monster movie that made it through. As em said, like everything else is this very bland, cookie cutter world, and this just broke through and it did massive box office. It was one of the biggest movies of the Year, which surprised everybody, but it shouldn't surprise anyone because it was a really good time.
Speaker 6: It was so good.
Speaker 9: I've also got another movie suggestion because I knew we were going to tag team this one Superman, like the New Come on now, really the New Superman film.
Speaker 6: I feel like, if.
Speaker 1: It's just like woke Superman, right, this is what I've heard, it's like a good Superman.
Speaker 3: The most powerful being on planet Earth.
Speaker 7: We finally meet.
Speaker 2: Now as planned, I'll destroy you. And of course that reporter you always do interviews with.
Speaker 3: Who raised you as a child, I'll kill them too.
Speaker 9: So I feel like, if you're a big superhero nerd like me, DC haven't been doing that well.
Speaker 6: She is, Yeah, I think like Marvel's.
Speaker 9: Really overtaken everything. DC hasn't been doing too well. But then James Gunn directed the Newest Superman movie. And this movie has been done so many times, and this one just completely cut through because they just stuck to what they know and it's just we just want a hot man who muscles, who is so the movie stars David corn Sweat. Oh, it's also on HBO, but I watched it at.
Speaker 6: The Imax and insane. It's just like a superhero movie. You know what you get.
Speaker 2: Take the kids, Take the kids.
Speaker 6: It's a good time.
Speaker 2: Amelia.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you asked. I have two.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit cheating, but they're both in the same genre, and that genre is music biopics. I love my music biopics. So in twenty twenty, I feel like I got really into sport, Like I was watching sport documentaries when we're all at home and I turn to my partner and say things.
Speaker 3: Like sports really interesting, and I.
Speaker 1: Straight men love it when you say that. But music is really interesting too. And I have two movies to recommend. The first is Bob Dylan's biopic, which is called A Complete Unknown.
Speaker 2: Starring my friend Tim.
Speaker 3: Your friend Timmy loved that.
Speaker 2: You trapped all the way from Minnesota.
Speaker 3: Why is that?
Speaker 1: Oh the catch you.
Speaker 7: Spoke if you're traveling in the North country?
Speaker 4: Fair, I see, no one wants to hear when you can't rule?
Speaker 2: Last month?
Speaker 3: Well, I like your songs.
Speaker 6: 's hit heavy the boardline?
Speaker 2: Who wrote this?
Speaker 8: He did? Remember me?
Speaker 6: How about that?
Speaker 1: John Bayers?
Speaker 2: Because she's pretty sings pretty ones, maybe a little two, pretty truly love your signs are like an oil painting and the dentist's office, the oscars over. That wasn't Amelia. He was brilliant, fabulous. I didn't like it. Oh, I've watched it like three times.
Speaker 1: Please hold let me get through it, and then I want to hear White. Bruce Springsteen's biopic Delivered Me from Nowhere, starring my favorite actor, Jeremy Allen White, and if you have anything to say about Jeremy Allen White, please leave. I liked it. It's not a great movie. But here's what I like about music biopics. The steaks are extremely low. The climactic scene of the Bob Dylan movie No Spoiler alert required, is whether or not Ed Norton is going to succeed in plugging in his guitar into the speaker.
Speaker 3: That is like this scene where you like abiding your nails. You're so scared. Is he going to play his electric guitar or not?
Speaker 5: I love Genius documentary and it fell into that too. I just like watching a genius exist.
Speaker 1: The thing about the Bruce Springstea movie is that it proves the point that men would rather release an acoustic album than go to therapy, and that's an important realization to have, and so I just recommend them both for edifying reasons and also because they're very low stakes.
Speaker 3: Now, why didn't you like the Bob Dylan movie?
Speaker 6: He just was a bit of a dick, was me?
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: You're allowed just me.
Speaker 6: We need to stop calling men who are me.
Speaker 2: This could take like I didn't even know any of genius. Anyway, we shall move along. O. The one I wanted to throw in, apart from Sinners, that I really enjoyed this year was a real pain. Oh yes, directed by Jesse Adenberg, one Care and Kulkin and Oscar.
Speaker 3: Your call has been forwarded to an automated voice messaging system.
Speaker 1: Bonner is not available.
Speaker 3: Hey, Benji, I just got to the airport. I really hope you left the ready air God you made. It's because I got some good ship from when we land. Wait, you're not like taking weed into Poland, are you yet?
Speaker 2: Benji?
Speaker 3: They don't give a shit about that stuff, and I think they very much.
Speaker 2: Do you give a shit?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah?
Speaker 2: Davers and I are cousins.
Speaker 6: We used to be joined at the hip our grandma who is from here.
Speaker 3: So data range for us.
Speaker 6: To join this geriatric Polish tour.
Speaker 3: With you fine people.
Speaker 8: That's where we go.
Speaker 2: It's about family. That again sounds as cheerful as your documentary going on a Holocaust tour of Poland. It sounds so crazy, but it's so funny.
Speaker 4: The dynamic is fantastic.
Speaker 2: And Jesse wrote it and directed it. Not our Jesse, Jesse Eisenberg, and I love that so much. Okay, we are moving on, Jesse, what are we doing there?
Speaker 5: Coming up from beauty products to books? We are about to drop all of our favorite recommendation okay, Holly, next we are on two beauty products.
Speaker 4: What was your number one beauty production?
Speaker 2: Really hard to pick one. I know we're doing more in our second one, but like, and so I thought, well, what did I learn this year in a beauty space sense? And two things are when you are older, everything is about base everything right. I mean, I know it, maybe it always is, but when I was young, I didn't really care so much. And my number one thing that I've loved this year is my foundation, which is expensive. It is why I have not recommended it on the show before, but people have often said, like, oh, your skin looks nice, that's nice foundation. This is why it is one hundred and thirty dollars worth of fancy Mecca based foundation. I discovered this year the Ellis Face.
Speaker 4: How do you spell that?
Speaker 2: So it's e L Lis faas Ellis face, and it's called skin veil, right. It's medium coverage and it's really glowy and it's like one of those sort of serumie ones and you can build it up. It's blurry. That's what it's supposed to do, is blur. And you know how you find a product, You try it and you just go oh yes, and then so much so that right to the bottom of the bottle and I had to immediately replace it because I can't wear anything else now.
Speaker 4: Doesn't last you a long time?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know, because I wear it on work days mostly and I will tend to reapply in the day, but that's just because we're filming and things. It's not like a matt stick to your face.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's lighter than that, although you can build it, but for me, I just love it.
Speaker 1: What I think listeners need to know is that Holly is the glowiest person in this office. I think we can on that, so I'd suggest following it recommendation.
Speaker 2: I do love it. But just throwing in a cheeky because it is expensive and I'm sorry about that. But I'm throwing in the other thing I learned this year, which is blush. So I never used to wear blush, right really, and now I'm all about the cheek so am I Amelia and I've discussed it on the show. Off the show. You got to put it high, blah blah blah, you got to basically put it on your forehead. Yeah. I've been putting shitloads of blusher on this year. I've leaned in and I love them all. My favorite one is one from Tart called Marrack. Why do they all have such silly Namescouver Marracooja juicy multi stick, which is Tart, but there is a dupe of that by m CO called the Summer Stick Lip and Cheek Cream, which is like ten dollars, so such a cream based I haven't put a powder on my face for ten years. That powders do not go near this. Ever, It's cream blush and I love.
Speaker 4: It all right, I'm going to go next.
Speaker 5: Mine is actually something I haven't recommended on this show yet, and Lucra and I have been going to a lot of open house.
Speaker 4: It's looking for a place, been a disaster. That's not the story.
Speaker 2: You've been stealing things from them.
Speaker 5: The story is that I've been going to open houses and I walk in and sometimes I smell this smell and I go, I want to buy this house. I'm not even mocked, but there is this smell. It is the best smell in the world. It smells clean, it smells expensive. It's just this freshness. And I ended up saying to this real estate agent, you gotta tell me what that is, and they said, it is the bays room spray.
Speaker 4: The dip teak.
Speaker 2: One dip teek is the fanciest smell in the world.
Speaker 4: It is the fanciest smell in the world.
Speaker 6: I need to smell met.
Speaker 5: But what you need to know about this room spray is you spray it in a room. And this is what the real estate agent told me. That room becomes double the price exactly. You will exponentially increase the value of your home. But that scent will stick in that room for weeks. Wow, like even more effective than the candle. I think the room spray. And she said that she was laughing, that that's what they spray when the owner has a dog and they're trying to neutralize any doggie smell that the person can't have anymore, so they just spray it and I can't. It is just if you want your house to smell incredible, it is the bays be A i e. S Room spray diptick. Yes, it's expensive, is one hundred and sixteen dollars, but what a great gift.
Speaker 2: Dip teak candles which are very expensive and posh. They just smell like I often get once with my birthday, once a year from my friend Tory, and I die amazing. The fig one is amazing.
Speaker 1: Carrie Bradshaw's candle, as depicted in the original Sex in the City was the Bayze candle?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Was it dippy?
Speaker 5: And I also wanted to throw in my bedroom hair. Kevin Murphy recommendation forty nine to ninety five or basically the beauty hack I learned was that when you do waves, you do any texture in your hair, you want a texturizing spray rather than like a hair spray that makes it hard. So your texturizing spray or your bedroom hair, you wake up the next day and it's still fresh.
Speaker 9: Smart, Okay, I am recommending something I recommended before, and it's probably the one product I always get complimented on.
Speaker 6: I'm wearing it right now. It is my lipstick.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh my god, I'm so glad you people.
Speaker 9: It is the Sephora Collection new cream lipstain in the shade Naughty Burgundy.
Speaker 6: It's twenty six signature shade.
Speaker 9: Signature shade shade like this year, Like I think, I don't want to do you find.
Speaker 5: What your signature shade is because I feel like I don't know what looks good on me.
Speaker 9: Honestly, I found this by accident. I was just looking for a lipstick because I have a really big bottom lip. Everything I eat and drink it always touches my chin and I get a huge mark on my che I was just looking for a lipstick that would stop doing that.
Speaker 6: And this one doesn't budge talk.
Speaker 2: To me about the stainness.
Speaker 9: It stays forever, but like to the point where it is really hard when you take your makeup off, Like I always have a bit of residue.
Speaker 6: The next morning.
Speaker 9: Is it in a bullet or it's a doe foot So it's like a little cream lipstick. It goes on Matt, but then it has like a bit of a satiny finish.
Speaker 6: Sometimes I put a gloss on top.
Speaker 9: Of it, but it never looks dry, whereas I feel like it doesn't feel dry. Yeah, Like it's not like those I feel like the Kylie Jenna lip kit, like where we just dry your lips and you would see the flakiness of it.
Speaker 6: It doesn't do that, and.
Speaker 4: It doesn't transfer on to teeth or anything because it's so stays.
Speaker 9: It is the best. And they have so many shades. I think they have around like twenty six shades.
Speaker 3: So good, so glamorous.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna do it, Okay, Amelia want you Okay.
Speaker 1: Mine is for elder millennials listening, because, as you know, that's how I identify and look. I need to give us all a pep talk elder millennials listening. I think we're stuck in to make up rut, and I think we need to break out of it because we're not dead yet. In fact, we're quite young by some metrics, probably not by MS, but we are quite young and we need to step it up and refresh our makeup routines. Consider this your reminders. So Erica Taylor's YouTube videos and Instagram videos and TikTok videos are very good and instructional, and she talks about how as you age, your face appears longer. Whether or not it is longer or not, I'm not clear on that, but the poor is babies have really wide faces, and then as you get longer, your face appears longer and less wide. So what you have to do is compensate for the fact that your face is less wide by elongating the length of your face. Okay, horizon the horizontal width of your face. And one key way to do that is through eyeliner. And she says you got to go heavy on the eyeliner and extend it out beyond the eye to horizontally elongate the face.
Speaker 4: Which is a dangerous game. Amelia.
Speaker 1: It takes technique, it takes I know you're an eyeliner queen yourself, so I appreciate that warning.
Speaker 3: But Erica can talk you through it.
Speaker 1: And one key tip is that the dip of your eye on the bottom follow that up with the wing. Does that make sense, So it's as if your eye became longer, you follow the dip. And the one that I think is absolutely fool proof is Selena Gomez's The Rare beauty eye liner. So is it like a liquid, Yeah, it's liquid and you got to shake it up to get the pigment. Her reb beauty line is designed to be very sort of ergonomic, like easy to use for people who might have restricted or limited mobility in their hands. I don't happen to have that, but I am not very skilled at makeup. And the eyeliner is a bit fatter than your normal eyeliner, so it's easier to hold, easier to control.
Speaker 2: And then is it a little brush.
Speaker 3: It's a little ink brush. Yeah, it's kind of like you're a.
Speaker 1: Calligrapher or something she's scamming. And what I love about it is the glide. Erica says, you've got a stamp, not draw, But it does have a very nice glide to It doesn't feel like it's tugging on your eye.
Speaker 6: What does damn not draw me?
Speaker 1: You know how most people do eyeliner by holding their eye with their finger, holding the skin near the eye. She says, that distorts the shape of your eye. You just look at your eye in the mirror and you stamp onto the lash line.
Speaker 2: That's what makeup artistone yep, Okay, this is contentious because God, I found this very hard to pick. We're going into books, Let's start with you and me. Okay.
Speaker 9: I recommended this on the podcast I think earlier this year. It's a book by Yulan Kwan and it's called How to End a Love Story. It is one of my favorite romance novels. I think I've read it about three times this year so far. It's about this woman named Helen who's an author and her book is about to get made into a TV production, and working on the TV production is this guy named Grant. And Grant and Helen have some history because when Helen was younger, her sister died in a tragic car accident and Grant was at the wheel. And the story follows her having to work with this man who pretty much ruined her life, and it just goes into this really intricate love story and how that time in your thirties where she's like an Asian woman and she's getting all this pressure from her family to settle down, and how she can bring in someone who was so hurtful to her family back into their lives.
Speaker 4: Do I recognize the name of that author? Have they written anything else?
Speaker 5: I'm going to look up what else I've written, because that's yeah, that's the name I recognize.
Speaker 9: It's just one of those books that I read it in a single day because it's just so light and easy and it's a bit funny.
Speaker 6: But it's just I just find different.
Speaker 9: Types of love stories, and especially love stories around people my age just so interesting.
Speaker 2: Now you're such a romantic, my lin, it's ruining your life. One day, we'll have an interiment that's every Friday.
Speaker 9: Every Friday, we'll always find a topic about my love life, Amelia.
Speaker 3: This is a good.
Speaker 1: Book if you're in a bit of a reading rut, like you can't seem to find anything. It's because it's a short story collection, so you don't need a really long concentration span. It's by a favorite author of mine, Cootis Sittenfeld. Her most famous book is probably her debut, which was called Prep, which is about life in the New England boarding school in a seat of coming of age story. But I love her writing style. It's very unadorned, it's very low key, it's very sardonic. I like books with plot, like I don't like being caught up in writing over plot, and she's very much plot driven. Her short story collection. It's her second short story collection. It's called Show Don't Tell. It's stories about middle aged women who think a lot but aren't necessarily given a lot of attention by the outside world. They have a lot of really interesting inner monologues, and she explores us in a monologues. I both cried sad tears and tears of literal joy while reading these stories. They take you on an emotional rollercoaster about you end the book feeling calm and uplifted.
Speaker 2: I just adore her.
Speaker 6: She read romantic comedy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love that book.
Speaker 2: Oh, she's really good at lots of different things. Yeah, I'm going to jump in. I found this really hard because I don't know how to pick the best of this. Because the tactic I went is I was like, WA's the book I think about the most that I read this year, And it's actually the first book I read this year. But it's not new, it's really old. But I thought I would throw that one in anyway, right, because sometimes you want to read an old book. I got recommended by somebody I don't know who, a very slight book called Family Happiness by this writer called Laurie Colwyn, and she is so good. Oh I got to die. Like I didn't really know her. But she's an American writer. This book was written in nineteen eighty two. That's how old it was. You people weren't born. But like, she writes about food and things. But this is a very slight novel about a woman in a family in New York who appears to have everything very picture perfectly in order. She's very enmeshed in her family. She's got the perfect husband and the perfect kids, and the parents who live around the corner, and yet she's having an affair. And it is so good. It is the book that I have thought about the most this year, even though it was written however many years ago, that is forty odd years. So that is the book that I think about the most. And then I thought, what is the book that I would give someone as a present, particularly a woman, maybe someone older, that is new from this year, And that for me is Deborah Oswald's One Hundred Years of Betty. I recommended this on the show. It is an amazingly well thought out book that basically tells the story of an Australian woman's life called Betty, of course, who is about to turn a hundred, and she looks back on her whole life from when she was born in London and grew up during the Blitz and then emigrated and then all her different friendships and loves and political awakenings and sexual awakenings and all this, and it follows her through her life and it's just so good and deserves so much applause because it's like, what a work. Anyway, Holy did you just sneak in two recommendations? You did? I'm sorry so anyway, have stopped talking now, But yes, it's a great present book, one hundred years of Betty. It's funny, it's cute, it's smart. Debra Oswald.
Speaker 5: My book that I have thought about and thought about and I just thought was a masterpiece was Elements by John Boyne, which I recommended on the show.
Speaker 2: Is that one book, Jesse? Or is that food?
Speaker 4: This is a genius that man understands capitalism? Jesse.
Speaker 5: Some people went and bought Elements, which is a single book. Jesse bought the four novellas individually and ended up spending sixty dollars on what is one book?
Speaker 6: Were they all released together?
Speaker 5: I think that they were. But you can also buy them separately, which I was.
Speaker 3: Like, published, can you tell me what this is?
Speaker 5: Yeah? So there are four novellas which are like Air, Water, Fire, Earth, And when I heard that, I went I was all a bit thinky isn't it.
Speaker 6: I would have been like Avatar, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah exactly. I was like, is this a meditation on air?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 4: I don't need that.
Speaker 5: Really, it's about crime when I think about it. The first one is about a woman whose husband perpetrated sex crimes on he's a swim coach on his students, and it doesn't go into that.
Speaker 4: It's not super.
Speaker 5: Graphic or detailed. It's actually about his wife and her culpability. All the novellas are connected. The next one is about like it'll connect someone who was on that island with that woman, and he filmed a teammate in his football team committing what we think is an active sexual assault, and it follows that. And then the other one is about a woman who is a perpetrator of sexual assault, which I've never read a book from her perspective, like it actually follows her. And then the last one is one of her victims, and it all comes round and like it's all interconnected. But he is the most beautiful, insightful writer. I've never read a writer who can write women as well as he writes men young old, like. His versatility is insane. He wrote boy in the Stripe Pajamas, so he is like a very well known writer, but he is brilliant.
Speaker 4: Elements by John Boyne.
Speaker 2: Okay, we are coming back with our favorite free activity or best hack, best activity, something that isn't necessarily something to buy.
Speaker 9: So I'm going to go first, and this hack I've talked about it on the podcast before. It kind of crosses over with skincare, but it is my cleansing hack where I literally sit in front of the TV. I put on an episode of my favorite TV show, whether it's like Friends or You Girl, something that's around fifteen to twenty minutes long, and I just sit in front of the TV and I use an oil cleanser and I just cleanse my face and the amount of stuff that comes out of my skin is crazy. But it's like the only skincare technique I use that immediately leaves my skin super soft and hydrated and just really really juicy.
Speaker 1: How about you, Amelia, Mine is getting the newspaper delivered?
Speaker 2: Yes, you've been doing this this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's honestly, what do you mean, it's what's the newspapers?
Speaker 2: Is emna?
Speaker 3: First, you shit on the Bob Dylan when.
Speaker 1: This has been the thing I've done this year that I think has done the most to help my general disposition and temperament and mood in these very stress times. I subscribed to my city's newspaper. It happens to be the Sitney Morning Herald, but I'm sure you could pick whichever newspaper. It could be delivered in your part of Australia and it gets delivered to my front door in plastic wraps or if it's raining, that's fine, it doesn't get wet.
Speaker 4: What time does a paper get It gets delivered early.
Speaker 3: I would say before six.
Speaker 2: This used to be a job that young people had.
Speaker 3: Question it might be a robot.
Speaker 4: I don't twelve year old.
Speaker 3: But you're not seeing twelve year olds running around time. No, it's a really good question.
Speaker 1: And then you bring it inside it and you turn the pages and.
Speaker 3: You read it. Here's why it's good. Once you get to the end of the newspaper, quite long, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's got the news of the day in it like there's a lot going on right now, But you get to the end of the newspaper and then you were done with the news for that day. You know everything you need to know. In fact, you're better informed than most people. But you don't need to keep scrolling. You've actually hit the end of the news for the day and a group of people have already decided what you need to know. They've arranged it for you, so you get a sense of what you really need to know and what is nice to know, and you don't infinitely scroll all day because you've already read the news.
Speaker 2: So m the most important news is on the front page. I got it.
Speaker 9: And then where that page is and where do they do the comics?
Speaker 3: I don't think they do comics.
Speaker 1: But the other thing I will say about why it's so great is that it's very social. So when you're looking at your phone and you're scrolling your phone, you basically have a sign above your head that says go away, right, Like, no one wants to interrupt someone on their phone. When you're like flipping through the newspaper, people feel free to come up to you and start a conversation. People in your house. I obviously don't want to speak to strangers and cafes about this, but like my children, wik up and say, oh, what's that story, or it will spark a conversation around the dining table.
Speaker 3: I recommerica.
Speaker 4: I like that a lot.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 5: My hack has been, as I've talked about a lot this year, I have been trying not to buy anything new. I have not totally achieved that. There have been moments I think pregnancy really threw me through a curveball.
Speaker 2: Do you reckon that you've bought a lot less?
Speaker 5: You're not made that ninety percentI yeah, amazing, right, And so I've spoken a lot about deepop, spoken a lot about Facebook Marketplace. Now that I've done this for a year, I can never go back, like I can't. There are certain websites I won't name them that I cannot use because I have like.
Speaker 4: A sick feeling when I go on them.
Speaker 5: Right, So now from everything, for I was speaking the other week, I needed a belly band for pregnancy, right, and that's one hundred and something dollars, and I went, I can't buy a new one. I just can't because I know that belly bands are sitting in thousands of women's homes.
Speaker 4: All around like that. They use it for a certain period.
Speaker 2: Literally only use it for a few months, yes.
Speaker 5: Like talk about landfill is a belly band during pregnant.
Speaker 4: It kind of helps you. It lifts up the pressure a bit.
Speaker 2: So really you.
Speaker 5: Only use it for four months maybe, and then it just sits there. And so I actually went on Facebook marketplace found someone who was a couple of kilometers away who had never opened hers and it was sitting in her house. I got a brand new one for a third of the price, picked it up. The other thing has been like Lunar needs a new hat, and I go, I just can't.
Speaker 3: Go into West into our old hat she grew out.
Speaker 2: And you should know how often children lose.
Speaker 4: Hats, right, And I go, She's gonna wear this hat for one summer. I just can't go and buy a new one anymore. It irks me.
Speaker 5: So I go onto my marketplace. I go on to deep Hop whatever I find it there is. If you go into marketplace, they are selling an entire child's wardrobe in size three that you can all bluey coated.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I'm not on Facebook, as I may have asked you, is Deepop okay? Can I use that?
Speaker 3: Is that fine?
Speaker 5: Deepop's great for everything, like literally, So for example, I talked about bags, wanting a bag, someone sent me a unicorn to this Uniclo bag and I went, it's there at the moment for however much, and I went, oh, look on deep Hop. I just found exactly the same bag on deep Hoop heavily discounted.
Speaker 4: This person had never used it. Like, just whatever you do.
Speaker 5: I'm not saying you need to buy everything second hand, but just put it into deeper.
Speaker 1: And have a look ever seen, Like have you ever gotten something it didn't meet the description?
Speaker 2: Never?
Speaker 4: Never?
Speaker 5: Like people are really really honest about Sometimes I.
Speaker 2: Get it from deep hop like because the thing that I get stuck with with the marketplace is the admin involved, like they're having a drive around. And also where I live, it's harder not in cities, et cetera. But in deep Hop is the seller going to mail it to me?
Speaker 4: Yes, And that's the easier bit.
Speaker 5: So Deeper I probably got it at the same time I'd get it if I've got it from uniclo like and the person just sends it directly to me. Sometimes a person will say Hey, I think you're around the corner.
Speaker 4: Can I just drop it? And I go, yeah, that's fine, Like.
Speaker 5: It's so much better for the environment, and you feel good and it's cheaper.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love that. My last one is it's about recipes that I made this year. The most discussed that I get asked for the most is the easiest, which is Virginia Treoli's green beans.
Speaker 3: Even, I, yes, what does that entail?
Speaker 2: So earlier this year? I think it was earlier this year. I interviewed Virginia Treoli, the esteem journalist, about a memoir she's written. It's all about side dishes called bit on the Side. It's got some great recipes in it. From that book. Brent and I our favorite. You would love this, Amelia. Brent and I have adopted her Friday night fog, which is a cocktail which has the best name because it does just give you a Friday night fog, just a nice night, which is like it's a pink grapefruit vodka ice cold. Yeah, so good. So there's that, But you know, drink responsibly, et cetera. But her green beans, her Grandma's green beans, is the easiest recipe you'll ever make, and they've been bringing me joy all year. And all you do is you get so say it's Saturday, and on Saturday night, you know you're going to have some meat or some fish or whatever with your partner, and you're going to have a nice little dinner beans or not with your partner, well with anyone.
Speaker 4: Sorry, sorry.
Speaker 2: All you do is you planed to green beans, so you boil them really quickly. Actually, she doesn't approve of the crunch. She thinks that's a trendy affectation. And then your beans should be well cooked. But anyway, green beans cooked, and then you put them in a bowl on the side in your kitchen with some crush, garlic, some olive oil, a splash of wine, vinegar, salt, and pepper, and then you just leave them to sit there all afternoon and they become the most delicious, soury sweetie. It's not really picky because you don't put it so much that it's like underwater. You just like dress it like a salad kind of and then you just leave it to the side, and then when you're going to have your dinner that night, you pull them out and these will be the best green beans.
Speaker 4: Of your life.
Speaker 2: That is my favorite hack. We've got into cooking a bit more this year. Matilda and I made mango pancakes and recipe to eats it last weekend and that was the most fun anyway. That's that for me. Are we at the end of the first episode of Recognized?
Speaker 3: We got to talk all.
Speaker 4: Day about recommendations.
Speaker 2: I love it, which is lucky because out louders, we have got another episode coming to you after Christmas on the twenty ninth with more recommendations.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for listening to this special episode of Mum Maya out Loud. Also, if you've been madly reading this time of year, and if you want to join us for our summer book club is coming up this weekend on Sunday, the twenty eighth of December. The book we have been reading is Emily Henry's Great, Big, Beautiful Life, and we've got a whole episode coming where we debrief and if you are looking for more to listen to, every MoMA Maya podcast is curating your summer listening right across our network, from pop culture to beauty to powerful interviews. There is something for everyone. There's a link in our show notes and we will be back to regular programming on Monday, the twelfth of January.
Speaker 6: Bye Bye Bye
Speaker 9: Mammy acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we have recorded this podcast.