Speaker 1: Welcome to Parenting Out Loud. This is the podcast with what parents are thinking about. I'm not Eat Bowli.
Speaker 2: I'm Amelia Leicester and I'm Stacey Hicks and I'm so happy to be back with you both. Sweet I am away convention, the Sea Monkey convention that you accuse me of being out. Yeah, it was great. Actually I've got a full tank in my house now. But thank you for asking.
Speaker 3: Are they alive?
Speaker 2: No, they're not.
Speaker 3: No comment coming up today?
Speaker 2: What are the rules of a kid's bush? We a listener dilemma has raised a very important question for us.
Speaker 4: We need to talk about swearing in twenty twenty six. There is one place where it has completely disappeared and there's one place where it's on the rise.
Speaker 1: And when a public image gets complicated, is motherhood the ultimate reputation rehab?
Speaker 2: But first, I cannot believe it has taken me this long to bring up Harry Styles on this show. I even have him on my shirt today. Such is the fangirl in me. But I finally found a way in for this podcast, and that is to tell you this. Harry Styles and his sister Gemma Styles are the gold standard of siblings. They are what families dream of when they have multiple kids. And that is because this weekend Harry Styles broke the Wembley Stadium record for the most consecutive shows at that stadium in a row. He did twelve, and when you consider there's ninety thousand seats in that stadium sold out, twelve sold out shows incredible, incredible effort.
Speaker 4: And he's also just like jogging around London all the time, insane.
Speaker 2: He basically does a marathon every night and then ran to one of the shows. Yeah, just jogged to one of his own shows at Wembley Stadium. He is my favorite. But to surprise him at his twelfth show, they brought out his sister, Gemma onto the stage. Now, Gemma is not as comfortable on the stage as Harry is. You can tell that she doesn't like being there, but she's there to celebrate him. And I want to play you a little of what she said. I apologize in advance for all the screaming in the background you're going to hear, but this is all me, but it's worth listening. I don't think.
Speaker 4: Of you as.
Speaker 2: At all in say today life.
Speaker 5: I think of you as a brother and an uncle and a best friend.
Speaker 6: And seeing.
Speaker 5: The incredible community that has formed around you is.
Speaker 4: Just indescribable.
Speaker 2: I'm so proud of you.
Speaker 5: I'm not just proud because you've done things like this, which nobody does. I'm proud of who you are and who you allow other people to be, and just the impact that you've made on so many, not least us who get to love you in real life.
Speaker 2: And what privilege that is.
Speaker 4: Thank you for being you.
Speaker 2: Thanks to lay Oh jeez, it's real.
Speaker 1: Twenty first birthday speech say that for the party, Gema were there to see the music, We're there to see Harry perform.
Speaker 2: We know not a lot about Gemma. So she has a public Instagram that keeps things very private. So she's got a young child, but her life is not in the spotlight like Harry's is. But I just it A little bit of it hit me in the fields because I only have one child, this little pang of guilt of oh, imagine what that could be if your kids grew up and loved one another that much. But then I remember that this is the best case scenario. This is like top tier. And just when I thought I could not be more emotional about this. Their mum Anne and entered the chat. Now, Anne loves Instagram. Anne loves an Instagram post and she posted a photo of the two of them as kids, and I just want to read you what she wrote on it. She said, how could I have possibly known then that he would break records doing exactly what he was put in this world to do, that he would grow up to be the kind of man the world needs right now? My gorgeous girl has loved and protected him always, even when he was the annoying little brother to his quiet, studious big sister. I could not be prouder of you both as humans, as siblings, and as my babies, knowing you're always there for me, but more importantly for each other. That's my biggest achievement. That is my award.
Speaker 6: That's so lovely.
Speaker 2: I love them.
Speaker 4: There's an Atlantic headline I think about all the time which said, the longest relationship of your life will be the one with your sibling.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, then with you from the start, from the start.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well good on him and did good?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Can we just take a really quick moment to just recognize that siblings are romanticized in culture?
Speaker 6: Like this is.
Speaker 1: Lovely and I'm with you. It's lovely and we need more. It's nice to see a British family that are in the spol that are functional and have good relationships, and I don't begrudge them that, But Stacy, why do you keep doing this to yourself?
Speaker 3: Like sibling?
Speaker 1: You looked at the sibling effect on a recent episode and there are so many ways that siblings are romanticized in culture, and we love to shine a light on them. But for every Harry and Gemma styles, there is also a Liam and Nol Gallagher.
Speaker 4: So I don't think Liam and Nol Gallagher are worst case scenario. They're like extremely successful musicians have given the world like Greek gifts from their sibling relationship. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't mean that.
Speaker 1: I mean that their Di Siberant relationship probably is a bit dysfunction.
Speaker 6: Agree, but it did pretty underwall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, true, true, so something good did come out of it. And the other thing I want to bring up with you guys this week that caught my eye was this article in the Sydney Morning Herald about the fact that Australian schools are now introducing codes of conduct not for the students but for the parents because of bad behavior. Essentially, the parents are meddling too much and they needed to do something to fix this. So the headmaster of Barker College in Sydney's North Shore spoke about how they're getting all the parents to sign this charter basically agreeing to behave themselves more because things have moved from what he described as a parent teacher relationship into consumer behavior and being like, I've paid for this and so this is what I demand from you as a product. I thought this was so interesting, talking about parents being passionate not being the problem, the problem being that some parents resist teachers authority over their children, but expect that that authority is done to other children. It's kind of like, not my kid, don't do that to my kid, but make sure you're keeping all the other kids in line. I thought that that was fascinating. Do you think this has cotton so bad now or has it always been like this?
Speaker 4: Oh? I think I'd take that principal's word for it. That there's now this sense that schools are almost like luxury hotels for a lot of parents. And there was an article in the Australian Financial Review just recently about how school fees are increasing at double the rate of general inflation. This is obviously private school fees. Child started at say a Geelong Grammar this year, you'll be up for one point two million dollars over thirteen years of school.
Speaker 6: So if you're.
Speaker 4: Paying one point two million dollars, I guess you kind of expect things to go your way and you want the customer service to match.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And the other thing I saw people talking about was that now because of WhatsApp groups, Facebook school Facebook groups, it being more instantaneous. There is this like instant gratification from kind of sharing that publicly or making the complaints publicly, and then it almost becomes like a mob mentality of all. I've seen that parent complaining, so now I'm going to complain about this, Like everyone's airing their grievances more in a public square, whereas once upon a time that would have been a meeting between you and the teacher and that's the end of it. It's so interesting to see it's spiraling to this point.
Speaker 1: I just want to flip this for a second because I saw something on Instagram that made my jaw drop, and that doesn't happen so often these days. But there's an Australian content creator comedian he must be a teacher. He doesn't say that in his bio and his name's Tyson Poppleston and he has this series where he reads out emails from parents and he says, this series has tens of millions of views, and he says, these are all real emails that I'm getting from parents. He reads them out, includes children's names, and I think that kind of speaks as well to like the erosion of trust between parents and schools that we have now. It's very them versus us and not super constructive.
Speaker 2: Because, as you say, if you're forking out big dollars, be your kid to go somewhere, like you do kind of have a leg to stand on right in wanting to make sure that they're getting they're getting a good education out of that. So I mean, where's the line.
Speaker 1: There was a big story in the news this week, but I don't want to talk about the story. I want to talk about the media mechanics behind it. So it's about Sam Kerr, who's Australia's best footballer, one of the world's best footballers in fact, and this week, and when I say football, I mean soccer for the Australians and this week she signed the biggest contract of her career. This is a deal worth millions of dollars and she's got a World Cup on the horizon and it's probably the biggest career chapter of her life. But the headline that I saw was this. It was in the Herald Sun and it was Sam Kerr reveals world Cup goal and her surreal new life as a mum. And the article is sort of framed a little bit around how motherhood has changed her. Now you probably are thinking, oh, I know where this is going, right. You're waiting for me to say. Can you imagine if they wrote this about a man like they would never write David Beckham is soccer's best dad. And yes, that headline would never happen. And that conversation is a real conversation, it's worth having. But it's not what I want to talk about today. I want to go somewhere different because I want to talk about how the media uses motherhood to swing public perception of women.
Speaker 6: Oh are you with me? Are with me?
Speaker 3: Does this sound horribly boring? Okay, because here's why. Here's why.
Speaker 1: Here's my thesis. So Sam Kerr has had a pretty tricky year publicly. She had an injury, a terrible injury, she had time off the game. She was found not guilty of racially aggravated harassment of a London police officer. She was acquitted, she was cleared, it was done, but the trial kind of ran her name through the ring of a bit. And so now as she steps back into the public frame, I was just really interested to see the framing of this headline, not as like fierce comeback queen, but as mum.
Speaker 3: And now I'm not saying that Sam.
Speaker 1: Kerr or her PR team are like purposely weaponizing motherhood at all. I don't think that that's what she's doing, but I just did want to take note of the work that the word mum and motherhood is doing when it gets attached to a woman like Sam Kerr. Here, So I guess, I guess the question is this, like Amelia, when a woman has a bad run of press or a bad I don't know, reputation, Maybe a bad run of press is probably the way to say it. Does this pivot the kind of framing of motherhood smooth things over and humanize them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's a really interesting observation, And I guess what you're saying, is that introducing the word mum kind of at the very least changes the conversation with that, like you know, blunts the sharp edges of a personality or softens a woman's image in.
Speaker 6: The public eye.
Speaker 4: I thought immediately here of Angelina Jolie, because if you're of a certain age, you're going to remember that Angelina had a real wild child era that seems really dissonant with how we think of her today as a humanitarian advocate. So she used to wear her husband's blood around her neck and a vial. She kissed her brother at an award show. But it's been reported that around the year two thousand, when she was filming tomb Rader in Cambodia, her eyes were really open to the fact that were children around the world living in extreme poverty. She saw humanitarian crisis first hand. She became a global human rights advocate, and she also became a mother. She adopted her son, Maddox, shortly after that experience in two thousand and two, and then thereafter I think we started to think of Angelina Jolie totally differently from her nineties wild child roots.
Speaker 6: So I guess what I'm wondering about.
Speaker 4: Is is that always like a cynical pivot to say, like, look, now I'm a mother, you don't get to ask me about the blood I used to wear around my neck. Or is it, in fact just that natural softening that can occur when you have to look after someone who is not you, when you do undergo change when you become a mum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see what you're saying. Mon's about that. This is you know, we could be cynical and say that people are doing this to give someone a reputation overhaul. But as you say, meals impossible not to change as much as all of us say.
Speaker 6: And I know that's dangerous ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I don't want to say.
Speaker 4: We're not saying here like mothers are inherently better, no generous and thoughtful. We're just saying you change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it. It doesn't necessarily make you a good person in any way, but you're kind of forced to be a bit more selfless. You're forced to kind of think about someone outside yourself. So it's natural that that does change your perception of the world around you. And there is kind of that softening, as much as we kind of rail against it.
Speaker 1: I don't agree, And I'll get to that in a minute, because it's not always softening. Sometimes it works in the other direction. But I think what I what you're talking about is true, and I think two things can be true at the same time. But what I'm talking about is public perception, right, And I think if I was advising someone on a comeback after a public scandal, like there are a few well trodden paths in the pr playbook. There's the motherhood path, there's the I've been to rehab and sort it out my life and now I'm all about wellness. Like, there's a few different scripts that you can follow when it comes to a comeback story in the public lens. The example most recently was from the Call Her Daddy podcast with Alex Cooper. Now, she got hit really recently with this Vanity Fair expose about a toxic work environment and inappropriate behavior at her company, and right in the middle of this scandal breaking, she announced her pregnancy and her former boss, Dave Portno set it on camera. He said, what a trump card, because now you're off limits once you're pregnant.
Speaker 3: All the hater's got a zipp it.
Speaker 1: So and the other thing I was thinking about was like historically, like Angelina Jolly is a great example, but Paris Hilton's another one. Like she is fascinating and I love Paris Hilton. I've got a lot of time for Paris Hilton. But she came into the spotlight with a sex tape. She I don't know if you how far back you remember in the early noughties she kind of had this part of girl era. She went to jail for drink driving. She was arrested for possession of cocaine.
Speaker 2: Remember roof Top with Rob Mills. That was an Australian connection too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she told people to stop being poor, like she was pretty universally hated.
Speaker 3: Well it was hate or love.
Speaker 1: And now she has two children and she's baking muffins with them in her pink kitchen and it's she got a hashtag, the Cutesy Crew, And it's just very very interesting the way that motherhood can soften. So, I don't know, I just feel like there's all this code, there's all this code that comes with being a woman in the public eye, and motherhood can either swing you you it can either be used to swing you softer and more palatable in the public's perception or the other way, like more monstrous and bad.
Speaker 2: I feel like the same is happening more and more for men, though, particularly celebrity men in the public eye. Like if I think about Hugh Grant's got five children, and I definitely think that a lot to rehabilitate. I mean, he's still kind of a curmudgeon, but to rehabilitate our opinions of him, Like Matt Damon was just on red carpets for his movie The Odyssey with his four daughters, Like people do wheel out their kids at times that are kind of convenient for them to soften that perception of them or to endear them to people. So I do feel like it's coming more in for the dads as well, that that becomes so much a part of their brand.
Speaker 1: Do you think though with dads? Like I hear what you're saying, and I agree. I think it's really true that dads are using fatherhood to brand them as wholesome and palatable and a good all rounder guy. But can we just for a moment talk about the brad pit of this all. I was trying to think of examples in the last five years of men who have had major reputational problems, and Brad Pitt's an obvious one. And he did this big comeback story in Vogue, this huge spread and the p R playbook. There had nothing to do with fatherhood. It was all about wellness and sobriety and also how incredibly hot he still looks at his age.
Speaker 6: But that's partly because his children doesn't speak to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's irreparable for him. He would use those children if he could, I'm sure, but they have literally erased him from their lives and from their names. They are no longer pits. They are just Jolie.
Speaker 4: I think it's sort of like, if you have the tool at your disposal, a Matt Damon, then you use it. But if you don't, then you've got to pivot hard into your jewelry designer girlfriend.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's Brad Pitt's case.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: What did Matt Damon do? Remind me?
Speaker 4: He went big onto advertising crypto platforms, like he.
Speaker 2: Was completely forgot about that. He must because of the kids.
Speaker 4: People thought was really disappointing. Yeah, and also gambling ads. But I think the kids did a lot of work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and I think he he is just seen as one of those wholesome, you know, celeb dads.
Speaker 3: I think I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's a good point, but I think it feels like for men, and I might be wrong here, but it feels to me like an add on to their brand. Like I'm talking about serious reputational rehab here. Like no one is going to write an article saying Locky Neil's Surreal New Life as a single dat. For women, it's weaponized in both ways. You're either like the martyr or the monster. And for men, I just think that they get much. They just use it as kind of like a branding add on.
Speaker 4: And out Louder has a dilemma for us, which she posted in the Outlauder's Facebook group out Louders, am I clutching my pearls here? I feel like every week at my child's soccer, instead of walking to the bathroom, more and more boys are just taking bush we The thing that makes me irritated is everyone thinks it's okay. The thing that makes me irritated is everyone thinks it's okay. I'm guessing as the parents allow it, but if the girls did it, they're being uproar and all the girls have to trudge themselves to the bathroom every time I want my daughter to the toilets. She's a preschooler. All the boys have just nipped into the bush, and I just think it is unfair and also a bit gross, so I make my son, who is actually playing, walk to the bathroom. I might be being over dramatic, though, Stacy.
Speaker 2: Such a good dilemma because it is different rules for boys and girls, and it shouldn't be that way. Look, I think just because you can pee in the bush without wetting your pant leg doesn't mean you should, and it's I think it is setting a bad example if you're just letting your boys trot off and do that when girls have to go all the way over to the bathroom. But equally, I'm kind of sympathetic to the parents too, because I know that there is nothing more annoying and that and worse timing than a kid who needs to weak like it's always at the most annoying.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna push you for a verdict, though, what should happen.
Speaker 2: I think the boys should stop doing the bushways. To be honest, I think the boys should stop doing the bushways. I think you can do it like at home or wherever if you're at But when you're at a home, well you know, in your backyard, like fine, like it's your own space. But I think if you're at an organized sport and there's a bathroom available, you should be going to it. Bushwee's worst case scenario on Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the top comments on this were mum of three here for old enough to play team sports, they're old enough to use the toilet. And from Mel who says, I'm a teacher and we are finding some of the boys do this outside when they're playing, far from the bathrooms. That's five year olds and up that are doing this, that are doing bushweed's at school. What that's not okay?
Speaker 3: It's not okay.
Speaker 2: What do you think about it?
Speaker 6: You're not going to like it?
Speaker 2: You're a bit more lass, you're okay.
Speaker 4: I think, Look, we're talking about preschoolers and we're not yakout.
Speaker 2: That is true.
Speaker 6: With those two facts established.
Speaker 4: I think I think the girls can do bushweeze too.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, girls can do bushweeds.
Speaker 2: I've never successfully done are in my life. Corse stress, Well, that is what I'm lacking, evidently, because I've never successfully who has a lot of corese drink pre school four year olds exactly like for days.
Speaker 1: You have to teach them these life skills now, Stacy, because soon they're going to be a teenager. Your daughter will be a teenager. She'll be in her early twenties. She'll be out drinking with her friends. She'll be walking home from the pub. She won't know what to do. She needs to be out of pop a squat in the gutter. It is a right of Australian passage and it needs to be.
Speaker 2: Taught from a young age. But I'm going to bring in the tall factor here, Mon's. I don't know whether you feel this way. That is a big altitude drop down. Oh you are a six foot two woman down to doing a squad that's fine.
Speaker 4: Sorry, that's a lot of the pre schoolers to you, Stacy. I'm not advocating you the bushweeze. I'm saying pre school girl and boys can do bushwheeze.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, your last bushwee Amelia.
Speaker 4: Oh look, I don't do bushwheeze, but people I know who maybe of preschool or thereabouts age, enjoy a bushwee every now and then.
Speaker 2: So we're saying five and below bush wee till your heart's content five enough, probably go to the Okay, we solved the fertilizer.
Speaker 1: F YI, there's a woman on Instagram who has an online course, like a short course on how to teach women to we standing up?
Speaker 2: What Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 3: It's all in the public higher algorithm.
Speaker 4: That's exactly the sort of thing I would expect you for you page to be.
Speaker 2: Said that and Christmas Tree.
Speaker 4: Yeah, from bodily functions to swearing, parenting out loud covers all the taboos. I want to talk about curse words because there was a headline I read this week that was.
Speaker 1: With herse words, who says curse with are you an English lady in a manner?
Speaker 3: Curse words?
Speaker 6: I'm just trying to come up with synonyms for sweet.
Speaker 2: We're just trying to bring the tone up after saying that kids should do bush.
Speaker 4: That's the headline was that music with explicit lyrics is in decline, and it draws in a report that found the share of explicit songs in Spotify's top fifty has fallen sharply in recent years. Now. As a nineties kid, I remember the moral panic around song lyrics. It was really and they were sort of presented as like naughty lyrics were presented as the ultimate societal problem. So it feels really curious to me that this is no longer something I need to worry about. It's just gone. And it got me thinking about where we are with swearing as parents. It's a really divisive issue. So I did some research in the picture is actually a little bit complicated. Yes, swearing has gone down in music and also movies and TV. One article I read pointed out that in Back to the Future, which is a PG film, one character says holy shit, and according to today's ratings, you couldn't get the PG rating if someone said.
Speaker 2: That, I've said that, okay.
Speaker 4: At the same time, though, the grumpy old lady on the bus complaining about the school kids is correct in that kids are swearing more. That's not just in your imagination, and they're learning to swear at an earlier age, like around two or three, whereas in the nineties it was around four or five time, and experts attribute the rise in casual swearing to you guessed it, social media, because people on social media are saying stuff like WTF and the incorporating very casual use of swear. Words, and then that's sort of got these knock on effects for kids.
Speaker 6: Okay, so those are all the facts.
Speaker 4: It's a complicated picture, But I want to know how we should feel about this new landscape of swearing. Stacy, you strike me as a very cool mum. Are you one of those like permissive parents who thinks that swearing isn't a big deal.
Speaker 2: I don't know where you got that idea, but I do think it's a big deal. Like if I was choosing, I don't want my child to be swearing here, there and everywhere. I do kind of find it funny when kids do it, though, But I'm trying to figure out where I sit because I do wonder whether if we took more of the European approach to alcohol, you know how they just, you know, let their kids have a sip of wine at the table and it's not a big deal. Like if it's just kind of not out of reach and it's not seen as this sparse thing, then our kids will be less interested in it. Be like you're allowed to use bloody yes, Like if you stubbed your toe on the lounge and you said, oh shit, that's not the worst thing in the world. To me, but I think there's a time and a place like I think yes, but no I'm not. It's not something that I've ever been super restricted with. But I haven't crossed that bridge yet, so once, once it starts to happen, I may then feel differently about it.
Speaker 4: Mons, do you call bushweese bush pisses around you?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: We call them fucking bushes.
Speaker 1: When in terms of swearing, So, when I was a kid, Tessa, you're going to have to bleep this, but I'm not going to bleep.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going to just say it.
Speaker 1: When I was a kid, we as a family were leaving a family event and all of us were in the car, all six of us, and my brother saw his school friends walking along the footpath and he wound it down his window as kids do, and he put his head out of the window and the wind blowing in his hair, he yelled out to them.
Speaker 3: Hey, how old was he? He would have been twelve or thirteen.
Speaker 1: My dad drove the car off the road and we got the verbal thrashing of a lifetime. I have never seen my parents react to anything the way that they reacted to that, and the prevailing message to me, who was probably nine years old, sitting in the backseat, was Ah, there are levels to swearing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I'd never seen them react like that before. So level one.
Speaker 1: So this is the point, is that he knew it was He's not picking up that word from TV or from the radio.
Speaker 3: He heard that.
Speaker 1: He certainly didn't hear that word at home. He heard it probably in the school yard, and he probably didn't realize the weight of what it carried, but he didn't know. He just knew that it was a bad word, but he didn't know the severity of it.
Speaker 3: And so that's when at that point I was like.
Speaker 1: Yes, there are tears to swearing here, and I think I sort of follow that rule in our home, like level one. Yeah, oh hell, heck, damn god, damn it, damn it god. Maybe level two is your shits and your fucks. Level three is what my brother did that day, and level three will never ever be repeated.
Speaker 3: So but what's interesting.
Speaker 1: Is that we have this kind of I was watching I was watching.
Speaker 4: Office Romance back with the wind out windows, because that also took me back in time, wind down windows.
Speaker 6: It took him a while to wind it down, and then when it's finally wound down to the bottom.
Speaker 2: He lets read it.
Speaker 1: Was the shame we all burned in the back seat with shame for him, and he did too. But then then I was watching Office Romance the other night on Netflix with j Loo and Brett Goldstein, and there is an entire segment about sword where it's said about sixteen times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, how times have changed.
Speaker 1: But look, I think there's this what's interesting. There's this weird trend at the moment, this sort of like public facing version of my brother in the back seat where it's called the swearing challenge.
Speaker 3: Have you seen this?
Speaker 1: It's on sort of TikTok and Instagram where parents will set up their phone in the room and say, now, darling, I'm going out for you get one minute and you get to get all the swearing out of your system. Okay, you just absolutely go for it. Okay, no one's here, no one's listening.
Speaker 6: It's just psychologists approved.
Speaker 4: Or is it just like a thing people are doing for clout, Like, what is the sort of therapeutic benefit of this.
Speaker 1: Zero therapeutic benefit complete content Vickory. Yeah, an engagement metrics. And because it's sixty seconds, you stay and you watch the entire video, and then your algorithm feeds you more of these things.
Speaker 3: So here's an.
Speaker 1: Example of one that has twenty one million views.
Speaker 4: Okay, you have one minute to say any bad words you want and you won't get in trouble.
Speaker 2: But you can only say this one minute in the bathroom.
Speaker 7: Okay, Okay, how stupid, hideous, idious?
Speaker 6: I know, mons.
Speaker 4: I feel like I want to present the case that is becoming an increasingly popular position amongst parents for why swearing is not a big deal. Now that's it's personally not what I feel, but I want to present there please might of the argument. So there was an ABC article that interviewed various experts who attested to the fact that swearing is part of the Australian definition of self. It is UnAustralian not to let your children swear. That's the first point. Second point they made is that it can be used as a cudgel to kind of ostracize vulnerable groups. Like if you make swearing out to be a really big deal, you're essentially kind of like creating a class marker. You're saying we're better than a lot of other people, and that is not actually accurate. It's just sort of like a mannerism that you've declared unacceptable. And then there's been this state of opinion articles by mums who allow swearing in the home, and what it comes down to for them is that they feel it creates a more honest channel of communication between parents and children because you're focusing on emotions not words, and they say it leads to calmer interactions because kids can you know, kids don't necessarily have an adult vocabulary. They're trying to reach for the words that most accurately describe how they're feeling. And to sort of fixate on certain words as not appropriate or to get irrationally angry about kids using those words makes the kids scared to communicate in general. So the argument goes, are we convinced by any of that?
Speaker 1: I'm not, no, but I am convinced by something Stacey said earlier about stubbing the toe and swearing, And because I do think in our house we treat swearing as circumstantial, is okay.
Speaker 3: And here's the scientific backing. Stay with me.
Speaker 1: There was a study in the UK right where these researchers said, we're going to get people to put their hands in a bucket of ice like cold, icy water, and they said to half of them, you're allowed to swear your head head off, Like the challenge is how long can you keep your hand in the water. Half of you you can go bananas, choose whatever swear word you want. And then the other half of the people they said, you're only allowed to say the word brown or square, right, just words. People that were allowed to swear their heads off kept their hand in the bucket for up to two times longer than the people they.
Speaker 4: Didn't, because there's some like when I have to put my hand in a bucket of ice.
Speaker 1: Yes it is, but it's this like stress release if there is a stress release effect on the brain when you swear. So I think in our house circumstantial swearing is fine. Just no rolling the car window down.
Speaker 4: Am I allowed to just put on my Karen hat for a second. I know it was the term Karen, but I'm reclaiming it and I'm about to be a grumpy middle aged lady complaining. Remember, the millennial version is Jessica, So you Jessica, allow me to be a Jessica for a second. I am shocked by the adults who think it is okay in public to be.
Speaker 6: Just casually using quite I asay's here two slash three levels swears out front of children on buses, walking down the street, in line at a shop.
Speaker 4: You don't need to reach for the swear word because you've got a limited vocabulary.
Speaker 6: Use a word that doesn't involve a swear word. You're an adult. You can do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly, that's it. I think it's all about the appropriate spot for that. And when there's little kids around you that aren't yours, then maybe you need to like pull it back to a tier one.
Speaker 1: Oh, you just need to use it as a teachable moment, teachable moment, a little gentle parenting moment for you, merelya you say, hmm, that man was having some big feelings.
Speaker 6: And the actually.
Speaker 1: While calling you a level three swear All right, it is time to talk about recommendations. And this part of the show we love because we go out there in the world, we try things, we buy things, and then we bring them back to you. We're like a squirrel bringing you back nuts, saying, try this delicious morsel, Stacey, what have you got?
Speaker 3: What have you been off? You've been off in the wilderness for a week.
Speaker 2: I have I mean I was mostly held all over my laptop looking at pictures non existent pictures of tailors. Were sweating. But the thing that I bought this is my first. I think this is our first double reco on the show. I am recalling something that Amelia reco that I then went and bought music and it has been such a hit me what is it? Okay? So it's the Mikadoor color and learn the table cloth color in twenty five bucks. They're in Spotlight or Amazon, I think from the from the actual website as well, and I just laid it out on our dining table. My daughter loved it. But then over the weekend we had like various groups of friends or whatever come over and everyone kids and adults like would just PLoP down coloring a little thing and move on.
Speaker 4: Help you stress relieve as you were, yes doing Taylor coverage.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it actually did.
Speaker 2: And then I heard my daughter explaining to one of her friends and you know what, this just goes in the washing machine and then we can start it again. She just thinks it's the greatest thing ever. So yeah, fig it double double reco.
Speaker 6: Happy.
Speaker 2: And then I also ordered two more because I'm going to give them to people for birthday presents or Christmas presents because I'm not uganized.
Speaker 3: Yes, really that is organized.
Speaker 1: Starting your Christmas shopping already, Stacy.
Speaker 2: I'm so proud that you should have known you'd be proud of me for that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's also my other reco is now I've started to find if I really like something for my daughter, I'm just buying two so that those school party things that come up then you're not having to go and buy for those at that time. So, yeah, that's my reco. What's yours? Amelia?
Speaker 4: Love that my reco this week is sitting on the floor.
Speaker 2: I love doing that too.
Speaker 4: It comes from a substack newsletter I love, which I guess I'm also recommending. The subset newsletter is called how to Move, and it's by a certified personal trainer and Pilate's teacher called Anna Maltby. What I love about the newsletter is she's body neutral in her approach, which means you're never gonna get diet tips. In fact, she's not talking about your body and how it looks at all. She's focused on functional movement and fitness. So a recent newsletter had the subject line, maybe you should sit on the floor, and I thought, maybe I should, And she explains that, yes, sitting on the floor can be uncomfortable, but also there's lots of benefits to doing it. It helps with mobility, It encourages small movements because you're having to adjust over time, and it can ultimately ease little aches and pains because you're kind of figuring out, like how your body works in the asymmetry of your body as you.
Speaker 6: Sit on the floor.
Speaker 4: So it is a way that parents can be doing something good for their bodies very easily because you're constantly sitting on the floor with kids, and then it's a way to sort of recast it in your brain away from this is uncomfortable and it sucks to maybe it's doing something good for me.
Speaker 2: It's just a shame that when you get up from the floor you have to make that.
Speaker 6: Ooh noise That is a legal requirement.
Speaker 2: Yes, the nothing I can do about that, but yeah, great love it.
Speaker 1: Mine is have either of you ever harbored a desire to be a play school presenter?
Speaker 2: I don't think I have the certain.
Speaker 3: No way.
Speaker 4: You never watched it and thought I was Oh no, I loved playschool, but Benita, I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: Yeah, God, I can't.
Speaker 2: Absolute goddess could never compare. Clearly you have, yes.
Speaker 3: I thought everyone did.
Speaker 1: This is the closest you'll get to it. So the ABC have just done this week an Australian story about play School and how it's made sixty years sixty years of play School, and so they go back in time and they talk about how they made it in the start and what it is now and it's, oh my god, it's so wholesome and beautiful, and they talked so many things I want to tell you about it. It was just like amazing. The best part is where they take you into like the workshop, how they make all the props on the set, and how it's just like the world's largest collection of toilet rolls basically, and how they deliberately make all the stuff on play School is deliberately made so that you can look in your own recycle bin and be like, I could do that. That's so great, so great. And the other thing I learned is that they do this thing called the play School pass. I don't know you you would have seen it, but it's got a name. It's where they talk down the barrel of the camera and then they passed to the next presenter, so it would be like this, So for anyone watching on YouTube or Apple podcasts, I'm going to do it, Amelia. I'm going to pass to you, okay, so get ready, okay, okay. So what you have to do, Amelia is put your head to the side because I'm about to pass to you. Ready, And then I look down the barrel and I do this. I go thanks for spending time with me. Let's go and see what Amelia is up to.
Speaker 2: Home.
Speaker 1: Mon's it's a place, Mon's.
Speaker 4: I have a question because my kids were a place college when we were not living in Australia and didn't have.
Speaker 6: Access to iView.
Speaker 4: Is it still cutting through for kids who used to weigh more bells and whistles in their children's entertainment?
Speaker 6: Do you think they.
Speaker 2: Talk about that.
Speaker 1: They talk about how shows are so fast now and they deliberately slow things down, and how it's very deliberate, how the hosts will ask a question and then pause so that kids at home can answer it, like it's all very thoughtfully done. But the interesting thing is like they talk about how they're really cognizant of it, but it has changed from back in the day, like it used to be filmed in one thirty minute block, right, so if the actors made a mistake, they just had to kind of like try and cover it up. But now it chops and changes and it's a lot brighter colors, a lot more movement in it, and the place will pass sort of acts as that while we're still this is still a continuous show.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I think is your slow viewing. But our kids, I'm still watching and responding to it given all the other stimuli.
Speaker 6: How available to them?
Speaker 1: Yes they are, they are. And there's some crazy stat that Lee Sales talked about how four out of five kids in Australia have watched places.
Speaker 6: It's so great.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a great hope.
Speaker 1: All right, Well that is all we have time for this week in Parenting Out Loud.
Speaker 3: Have a great week.
Speaker 1: We will see you back here next Saturday morning or on along the weekend or whenever you listen to us.
Speaker 3: Thanks for spending time with us.
Speaker 1: Mummy acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we have recorded this podcast