Speaker 1: Welcome to the Sees the Yay Podcast. Busy and happy, but tired and worn, just some of the feelings when baby is born. There's magic, elation, there's chaos and tears, but everyone goes through the same hopes and fears. So this is a segment we hope helps you feel supported and valid. The mum juggles real, the good, bad, the ugly, the best and worst day. It's part of the journey.
Speaker 2: To seize the Babe.
Speaker 1: I'm Sarah Davidson, a lawyer turned entrepreneur who hung up the suits and heels to co found Macha Maiden a Macha Milk Bar, become a TV and radio presenter, and of course, host The Sees the Ya Podcast. This year, I added motherhood to that list, which is the best job I've ever had with our beautiful baby Teddy, and this segment was designed to house all the conversations we've been having about parenthood. We'll still do our regular episodes, and just like real life, it's a constant balance between our parent identity and everything else. I hope you guys enjoy this segment as much as I have enjoyed creating it. Hello, Lovely neighborhood. I hope you've all had an amazing week. We certainly have at this end celebrating Teddy's first birthday.
Speaker 2: I think the.
Speaker 1: Exact phrase that I used last week was that I was a walking hot mess of emotions as this very special milestone approached, and it only intensified tenfold, maybe even one hundredfold, as the celebrations began, which started with a lovely intimate family dinner on the actual day, just with our close family at home. We did a little traditional Korean takeaway dinner, not very aesthetic, but it's a family tradition.
Speaker 2: Teddy tried his first book.
Speaker 1: Goggie, which he really enjoyed. We got him into his harm bok, you might remember for his hundred day celebration we borrowed one, but he finally fits into my little brothers so that was a really special, full circle moment. And then a couple of days later we followed it up with a little birthday party. I don't think anyone truly prepares you for the feelings that will hit you when all of your loved ones, your whole village starts singing Happy Birthday to your baby on their first birthday. I don't even know how I did not just pass away on the spot. It was so emotional and so beautiful. I just really still I was only yesterday at the time of recording, so I haven't really processed all of those emotions. But if you did listen to the throwback episode to our birth story last week, you will, of course remember the timing of Teddy's birth that still gives me goosebumps to think about how it was all meant to be, and that is that he of course arrived a little bit early, right on thirty eight weeks on the dot, which was just a couple of days before my own birthday, which I share with my younger brother, which in itself is pretty crazy. We were both born to different biological families and then adopted together. He's four years younger, but somehow we were born on the exact same day, which happens to be today this year, and only three days after Teddy. So today I'm recording on the morning of my.
Speaker 2: Thirty sixth birthday.
Speaker 1: So it really did feel last year like Teddy was the best birthday present I ever could have imagined, and I think it'd be pretty hard to top last year. Sitting there, you know, three days after giving birth and just reflecting on how incredible that was. There will never be a birthday a special as that, but I am so grateful to be sitting here this morning with a healthy one year old and a beautiful family and so many friends around us that we have spent the weekend with. It's funny it's the first year that I am closer to forty than thirty officially, and it's one of those things that I think there is a lot of sadness maybe or resistance to aging. Of course that's such a big part of our societal norms. But one thing I always come back to when I start to feel like, oh my goodness, I am no longer. Definitely can't ever say that I'm in my early thirties anymore. Possibly can stretch and keep using mid thirties for a little while. But every time I start to feel those feels, I just come back to a quote that if you've been listening for a while, you've definitely heard me say probably every birthday, maybe every news episode. And the quote that keeps me grounded when I feel that way is to never regret growing older, for it is a privilege denied to many, and that just reminds me how lucky we are to have every day and that, yeah, aging really is a privilege that you should never take for granted. So I'm trying to sit here and feel very, very lucky to be a healthy thirty six year old and to be spending my morning with you guys. In a little deer diary sees the baby reflection, which I haven't really planned or scripted like I usually would. You might already be able to tell the wild tangents and stream of consciousness and verbal diary that's coming out right now. Normally my legal brain insists on a few dot points to kind of keep me on track. But it has of course been a well win few days pulling the party together. Actually a well winned three hundred and sixty five days and more. But I guess that's all been part of the big adjustment to this new chapter. It's all those extra little things that I used to have endless time for and be able to give up one hundred, one hundred and ten one hundred and fifty percent to to make them absolutely perfect. It's just been having to learn to cope with just getting them done, or in fact, not getting half of them done. I'm just getting a few of them done. I really would love to have been able to plan things a lot better in podcast land, in workland, in everything, but in friendships and relationships. But that really leads me to the first big lesson that I've had to learn, and that has been actually probably something I needed to learn, very humbling and a wonderful lesson of parenthood. I don't really know who this episode is for, by the way, Maybe for other parents in solidarity with all the feelings and reflections, maybe just for me to look back on. As you know, I love to use the podcast as a little time capsule for who I am. But I thought i would share the top ten lessons and reflections that I've had over the past year, and I'm sure that many more will get added as Teddy inches further into toddlerland, where things get.
Speaker 2: Hard are different.
Speaker 1: I feel like every new level has new herds and new easies.
Speaker 2: But here we go.
Speaker 1: So my first big and probably the biggest of all, coming back to that idea of not being able to give one hundred and ten percent to everything like I used to, is that one of the biggest anxiety's apprehension often fear about becoming a parent, even when you just start trying, is the idea of sacrifice, that you sacrifice your time, your sleep, your freedom, your spontaneity. There are so many things that you do think of as losing, and that's a really big fear, of course it is. It's something you can't really understand before you do it, before you go through it, and it does feel like a big exchange of one thing for another. But I think I focused a lot in the lead up on what that would mean and how that would feel. But the minute that Teddy was born, I realized, yes, I lost the person I was before. I don't even remember who that person was. I don't remember what that life felt like. But it's what you gain in its place. You lose parts of your identity, but you gain a new identity that is so much better. It is so much more multifaceted. My emotions are so much deeper, my life is so much richer. And it's just something I never could have explained before it actually happened, because I was so focused on what I would lose. And that's because that's all you know before you know, as I've talked about before, before you arrive on planet parent and realize what everyone else is experiencing. So I think if you have ever focused on fearing what you'll lose, try and think of that, you'll gain so much more in its place. And it was put so beautifully recently in a video of Ellen Pompio, the star of Gray's Anatomy. It came out on the Call Her Daddy podcast. I think it's quite recent. I saw a snippet my wonderful friend manager role model Genevieve Day sent it to me. I've had actually a couple of people send it to me, and it was her talking about this idea of never being one hundred percent at work. I think there is a lot of pressure in our modern day, fast paced society to interpret the jugglers meaning that you do everything, and you do everything one hundred percent as a mom, at work, at home, in your personal life and your relationships. But she just called it was a big surrender. You are not one hundred percent at work. You cannot be a mother and have children and have a career and give one hundred percent to your job at the same time. And I really liked that she just called that upfront, because sometimes I really do feel like I'm trying to do one hundred percent to all of it, and I can't, but sometimes just accepting that you can't causes you a lot less angst. And the way she put it was that you are split into lots of different pieces, but it makes you more soulful, it makes you richer. Those are the exact words that she used, and I just wanted to save it and send it to everyone and plaster the video on my head and put it on a moving T shirt because that is exactly what I feel has been my biggest lesson over the past year, that you are split into a hundred different pieces. I don't think I'll ever be one hundred percent focused on anything ever again, and particularly if we have more children. And I've lamented that so much because I'm just such a perfectionist, but the things you get in return and the life you get in return is just worth infinitely more. To watch a tiny human and be their guardian, be the person that guides them through the world. There's nothing better. Having said that, though, number two, the second thing that has also been a big act of surrender and acceptance is that it is at once the best thing and the hardest thing I've ever done. It's hard in a way I never have conceived of. I've actually said to someone recently that I think the language that you use pre parenthood and the language that you use postparenthood should not be the same words because they don't describe the same thing. The word hard doesn't mean the same, the word tired doesn't mean the same. So we really just should have a new language so everyone knows what page we're on. It is definitely the hardest thing I've ever done, and I've always been somebody to embrace getting out of my comfort zone to do things I didn't think I could do. But I have never sat on the floor and cried feeling like this is impossible, like I have since having a baby. But at the same time, I think one of the things someone said to me, I think it was just before we took Teddy overseas when he was really little, was that, of course, it will be the hardest thing you've ever done, and some experiences and moments in chapters will be harder than others. But looking back, you only remember the good bits. And that's really interesting because especially a year on and looking back that is so true. Of course you remember that you had hard times. And it's the same in life. It's such a good life lesson for when you get out of the comfort zone. You look back at times you did something really hard that felt impossible, even times you broke a leg or you broke an arm, anything that kind of encompasses pain. You look back at that and you know logically that there was pain. You know logically you remember that it was hard, but you can't feel that pain again in your memory. You don't actually feel it again. Every time you look back, you logically remember it, but not emotionally. And what overrides that is that emotionally you do remember the good bits. And I feel like it's like when you finish a marathon, that I finished a marathon, but you know that kind of analogy. You finish the hardest thing you've ever done, and like a week later, you've forgotten how much it hurts, but you remember what an achievement was. That's the same with any time you do something hard, and it's the same with parenthood. I look back at that trip and sure, taking a newborn on a plane was absolutely crazy. At the time, it was so scary and it was really really hard, and there were moments at the time where I was like, this is the worst thing I've ever done, But I logically know that I don't emotionally remember that. I emotionally remember the best memories that will always come back to me as the good bit. So if you're ever in doubt about doing something and you're in the hard moment at the time, you won't remember that bit, You'll remember the overarching beautiful memories. Pain is something you only feel at the time, and I think that's yeah, really helped guide me in those moments that feel really tough. Number three is kind of similar. They're all really closely related. Again, I don't really know who this is for. I think it is more a dear diary download that in the way that I use all social media, there's something that I share what I'm doing in real time, and then if anyone incidentally benefits, then that's just a bonus. Number three is that it's so cliche and it's so annoying when you're not a parent and everyone tells you, oh my god, the time passes more quickly than anyone could ever explain to you, But then you get there and it is truly faster than you could ever imagine. Truly faster than you could ever imagine. Again, referring back to a meme, I saw a mem yesterday that was re enactment of adults having dinner, and it was a scene where instead of actually having a conversation, it was just the adults saying the topic of what adults sit down and talk about, and it was them going, ha, time passing, ha, the weather, mortgage, baby, kids, kids, tired, back.
Speaker 2: Pain, ha.
Speaker 1: And I was like, yeah, that's all I talk about, how fast time is going, how much my kids are annoying me, how how much my back hurts, and how much I'm not sleeping. But truly, the time passes just so quickly. I blinked, and my newborn is a little one year year old. And on that same token, the other thing I've actually written down everywhere. I have it written down in my diary, it's on my mirror. Everything is temporary, and that applies to the good and the bad. So if you're in a really hard moment right now, we are in, as you guys know, another sleep regression. We are barely sleeping, and you just come back to the fact that you can cope and you can get through it because it's temporary. You don't know how long it will last, but it won't be forever. And that applies to the good times as well. When you're in a really good chapter, hold on to it with everything you have, because that also will be temporary and won't last. Time does pass really quickly, it will happen really quickly. So embrace every chapter that you're in. And I also think you will never regret spending time.
Speaker 2: With your kids.
Speaker 1: Whether it costs you. You know, it'll cost you so many things. It's cost me work opportunities, it's cost me social opportunities. In the middle of sleep deprivation, it's cost me it's sanity. Also, him not being able to be put to bed by anyone else at the means I can't go out at night. I've had to say, notice so many things, But I don't think I will ever look back, knowing how fast it's going, and regret every second that I could spend with him being spent with him. And I flip it to you know, I was on the in the cot last night at six times and I just thought, yes, I could focus on how horrible this season. Yes, of course it's okay to be having a mental breakdown about it, but try and flip it to the fact that one day he will be sleeping in his own bed, or one day he will have moved out of our house and he won't want me or need me the way he does right now, and I will wish I could go back and have this moment.
Speaker 2: So flipping it.
Speaker 1: To that temporal, temporary, fleeting time kind of message always helps me get through Number four. Coming back to that idea that you will only remember the good bits sometimes and actually a lot of the time, I've realized the kind of logistical hurdles and obstacles to leaving the house with a child are insurmountable. They are so difficult. It is infinitely more difficult to even go to the supermarket, let alone, to go to a party, to go on a trip, to travel, and you know, in a world where we're all tired and we're trying to do self care and we're trying to pick up all the boxes, past me would have said, you know what, you stay at home. It's too hard. You don't have to do the hard things, and of course you don't. But this party, for example, in that main I was like, you know what, he's not going to remember it it's so hard. We're coming back from a troop.
Speaker 2: It's a lot for all of us.
Speaker 1: You know, we don't need to do it. But the fourth lesson I've learned is that maybe I'm not doing it for him because he won't remember it, and maybe I'm not even doing it for me right now, because I will be I'd happily have spent the weekend just as a family, But is to do things for your future self. Do things like the party, or you know, do things like going on troops, even though it's really hard and easier to stay at home where all your comforts are. Do those things because your future self and their future self will be so glad that you did. And it's so true again with that thing that you only remember the good bits. You'll look back and be so glad you did the hard thing. You won't remember how hard it was.
Speaker 2: You remember how beautiful it was.
Speaker 1: And that kept me going when I was party planning and thinking, oh my god, my kid is not even going to remember this, but it was the most beautiful day. It's only been one day, and all I remember was how special it was. I'll always look back on the photos and videos and just be so glad we did it. Number five and this is where they start to get just like the same as life lessons. They're the same as all the life lessons I teach myself, and I feel like kids really make that more acute and they you don't have the same latitude and leeway to not realize these life lessons, I think, and number five is just comparison is futile. I talk about it all the time. The grass is green, then you order it. I've said it in so many different ways, and everyone has said it in so many different ways, but it's easier said than done in a time where social media splashes the details of everyone's lives.
Speaker 2: I've always talked.
Speaker 1: About it more in the sense of other people's success, careers, pathways, travel houses, financial positions, whatever it may be. But there's nothing like the way you compare yourself as a parent. It's just even more intense the comparison of my kids not doing this. They I even sometimes find myself analyzing in the background of someone's photo of their child what food is on their plate at what age, and how much they're eating and how big the size of the pieces are. Because Teddy can't chew pieces that big like the comparison. I think because you do want to be the best mum and you do want the best for your child. It's just insane the way you'll beat yourself up about crazy things and small triggers or you know, they all start doing different milestones at different times, in no particular order, for no particular reason. Why is he walking before my child? Why is he you know, all the things, there's always something that you can compare, and it is truly futile. Firstly, it all works out in the wash. I mean, kids who do some things first will do other things second, and vice versa. It really doesn't matter in what order they do things. I find myself wishing and rush that he would crawl and then walk, and then the minute happens, you're like, oh my god, I should slow down. I really loved when I could put him down in one spot and he'd be there when I came back. Not only is comparison futile for that, but every baby is different. And not only is every baby different, every family, every family's priorities and values and life setup is different and it has to work for you, and that's the same in your life. I always say, why would you bother comparing your life to someone else when they have a different threshold for social interaction, or they really need to work in an office and you don't, or they have different financial obligations and you don't like you don't know why people do the things they do and why the criteria for their life means they make the choices they do. So your life is always going to be different and it has to work for you. There are certain things that I look at and I'm like, that is absolutely amazing how that mum does that, But it wouldn't work for me to do that. My life structure is so different to all of my friends who are still in corporate. Of course, our setup is going to be completely different. I work from home, they're in the office all day. There are just so many things that make your life just unable to be compared, and your children unable to be compared.
Speaker 2: So of course it's.
Speaker 1: Natural to find yourself doing that. But please please be kind to yourself and try to put on the blinkers and just remember all you have to do is look after you and your little is.
Speaker 2: Especially with sleep. Oh my god, it's so hard.
Speaker 1: Number six similar, I'm getting really long wounded. I meant this to be really short, but as you guys know, I haven't taken a breath so far. This is quite unusual, actually, that I haven't stopped in the stream of consciousness at least to re record one part or the other. So you're really getting real and raw Sarah here, which you usually do, but this is even more unedited and unfiltered.
Speaker 2: Number six.
Speaker 1: You won't get everything right. In fact, I don't even know if there is a right or wrong. But your little ones are really resilient. Be kind to yourself. I just find myself thinking, oh my gosh, I am not cooking him sources from scratch. I'm giving him some things from a packet. Sometimes I am getting myself takeaway and spending too much on uberys and blah blah blah. And there's so many boxes coming back to that one hundred percent, You'll never give everything one hundred percent. There's so many boxes you need to tick, and we're all going to be ticking different ones, well, not ticking other ones, forgetting about other ones. And it's so easy to just beat yourself up about being either a failure or about parent, or a bad friend or about person you won't get everything right. It's just not possible. Remember Ellen Pompeo saying, you just cannot do it, or you will be split into a million different pieces. And especially when it comes to parenting. I look at all the ways that I am trying to be the ideal parent, and I'm not meeting most of them. I want to make all of his food from scratch. I want to be feeding him beef broth that's organic from the blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 1: I don't have time for that because I also want to be a working mum that's saving his school fees and all of that kind of thing. And I think you just have to let yourself off the hook. They are loved, if they're safe and clean and fed, you know, they're resilient little things.
Speaker 2: They're adaptable.
Speaker 1: And one of the biggest lessons and this is the same in business that really helped prepare me for for this time of my life, and that's if there's something that is really really causing you anxiety and pain and distress, and if it is within your means, outsource what you are really not enjoying and keep the things to do for yourself that you do enjoyer that you're good at and that you know it's already a really really stressful time. Don't keep beating yourself over the head. Like an example, for me to make my own chicken stock and broth like or sauces from scratch. It's just it would take up so much bandwidth and take me away from the other things that I know I am good at meeting the standard that I want to meet. It is okay if I give him packet food or packet sauce every now and then, it's fine.
Speaker 2: Like, give yourself a break.
Speaker 1: Choose the things that you really care about, and those can be the things.
Speaker 2: That you do.
Speaker 1: That's a really long, way winded way of saying that you won't get everything right, but give yourself a break. And actually number seven, I don't know why I put this as a separate DOB. I think I meant to I don't know niche down in this description, but it was to choose the path of least resistance. It's okay to do that. Sometimes you don't have to make it so hard for yourself. Sometimes we choose the harder thing because we think we have to, and then that comes back to comparison. But it's okay to do the easy thing. Sometimes I catch myself going that is so lazy, like I should have just like I don't even know what an example is when I like even small things like buying disposable nappies, I would love to use reusable nappies. I would love that to be the area where I'm more sustainable, and they sustainability is one of my core values, and it feels really dissonant to sometimes not always live up to that. But sometimes it's okay to choose the path of least resistance. Sometimes it's a matter of survival because you can't again choose the hard thing or the right thing or one hundred and ten percent thing every single time. Again, that was two points that were kind of really similar. I think maybe I just wanted to get to ten and I only had nine, and I had to separate them out. Oh my gosh, number eight big one. If you have listened to the podcast for a while, you'll just be like, Babe, these are all the same dot points in life lessons that you go on about all the time. But I think I've just relearnt them all in a different context and had to apply them to this new context of parenthood. And again, most of it is just saying, don't worry. If you're a failure, it's okay. So hopefully that's relatable to anyone else. Number eight, you can't do it alone. It is okay to lean on people, but not just is it okay. It's actually the best thing to have a village. It is the best thing to surround your little one and yourself and your family with lots of different influences. The way that Teddy, even in one two hour period of having so many different kids around at his party, so many different adults around, so many different sounds and smells, they develop so much for the experience. We took him to Tazzy and I thought, oh my god, he's going to be out of routine, out on the road for five days in a row, and he's going to be held by different people. He's going to be oh my gosh, and he developed more than I've seen him in months. It is so good for them to be exposed to a wide village. But it's so good for you as well, because you need lots of different influences, You need lots of different help. I'm so lucky to have so many close family members and close friends nearby, but even people you aren't as close to our people at cafes who you see every day, people in your mother's group, or people who I meet online have been huge helps. There's been so many sleep consultants who I've never met in person but who have become an incidental part of the village because we've connected over sleep stories. No one can do it alone, but also no one should do it alone, because not only do you need other people in the hard moments, in the good moments. Yesterday, looking around I will never forget. And it's the only part we don't have a photo of because all the cameras were focusing on Teddy getting his cake, but I was looking back at everyone's faces. I will never forget looking around at all the people who were part of his village and have made him into the child he is, but made me into the parent I am. And that was just so special to think I get to sh share this sharing like I'm one of those people that if I don't share a milestone, it doesn't mean anything. If I'm just quiet about something and just keep it inside. I haven't really realized it yet, and Andre and I I think you've probably heard us talk about it before. We call it stomping. We have to stomp out something we're excited about. If you don't stomp with someone and share it, it's not exciting because you've kept it in your body. And I feel like that's the same with parenting. You can't cry alone, but you also can't celebrate alone. And again, it's okay to lean on people. And I'm sure that this will have new meaning for me as well when we move on to daycare and kinder and school and the idea of feeling so guilty for leaving them with other people, but it's good for them. It's okay to lean on other people. It's okay to not be the only person they see all day every day, and it's probably good for them as well. So I'm sure this one will have new meaning in due course.
Speaker 2: Number nine, guys, I've really.
Speaker 1: Stretched out to ten. I think I probably could have consolidated this a little bit better, but one that keeps me going in the moments where I think, I really I think this is number six or five, I don't know, maybe seven anyway, slightly differently worded, but it came back to me when I was writing these stop points very quickly, so it must be an important one. And I'd rather regret doing something than regret not doing it. And on a really small scale, our tazzy trip recently, it was for a travel job for Luxury Escapes, who are a brand we love working with. I haven't actually had the founder on yet, but the founder, Adam Schwab, is an incredible human being who, in a full circle moment, actually happened to be the person I spoke to when I couldn't decide whether or not to leave law. He was a contact of a client of mine and we had a lunch and he just changed my life with the advice that he gave. He's been a huge influence in our life. And then also one of the heads of partnerships is a dear friend from a totally different chapter of our lives. Anyway, really really beautiful experience. But I did think Teddy's not sleeping, We're going to be out on the road. He's going to have no routine whatsoever, how we're going to feed him, there's no micro blah blah blah, like. There were so many obstacles And I always think, and I've always applied this outside of parenting. I would actually rather regret doing it. I'd rather do it and find it really hard, then wonder what it would have been like. And I feel like doing things that way and making choices that way have always made me come through my life and not regret anything. I actually can safely say there are things that didn't go the way I hope they did. There are things I cringe about, there are things I wish maybe went differently, but I don't regret any of those things because I don't think I could have made a different decision at the time.
Speaker 2: And that is an incredibly.
Speaker 1: Liberating, happy way to live your life. Sure I regret the outcomes of certain things, but I never regret the choice that I made in relation to them, unless I didn't make it with that lens. So that's something that's really stuck with me. Number ten And this is such a weird one to end on, and so not the sort of big emotional, meaningful quote that I did this in the wrong order. Guys, you're hearing the in real time, but it's a practical one because it's right in the forefront of my mind. And that is when you do become a parent, and especially in your first year, because set yourself up right the first time.
Speaker 2: Deal with your photos, videos.
Speaker 1: And memories as you go, take notes as you go. Don't get to the first birthday and realize you haven't done it all along, and then try and remember everything, because I remember very little of very big chunks. But I have kept even just a note on your phone. I'm looking at it right now. The notes for this episode are in my phone, and just below it are the notes for every week of the fifty two weeks of Teddy so far, just noting when he did certain new sounds, certain new facial expressions, when he crawled for the first time, when he even tried to reach for something, you know, when he giggled, and all those things that you will never remember off the top of your head, and you might wish that one day you could look back at them, even just dot points. They're not even full sentences. The first night he slept through the night, the first tooth that he got, all of those scenes. And same with photos. You take fifty thousand photos these days, our parents, it's had to be so much more selective, with twenty four pieces of twenty four photos on a camera roll, which made them so much more selective and possibly a bit, you know, more discerning about the photos they take. We take eighty five million, and then of course we're going to get a new fine every now and then, and the storage is going to run out and all that kind of stuff. I feel like one of the things that I started too late, to be fair, I think it was like six months in and then I had to spend like a week and a half doing it. But I'm glad that I started then and not now. And that's also cataloging all the photos, getting rid of the triples and quadruples of the same photo, and organizing them into folders and backing them up so that you can always look back at them. You never lose any really special ones. They're really really special ones. Print them or put them in a photo book. I did a big post. I got a lot of recommendations. I asked for your recommendations on memory.
Speaker 2: Books or photo books?
Speaker 1: Are apps to use to kind of catalog better? And how you do it and how often you do it? And I put them all in a post, which is so helpful, just to make sure that those treasured memories never lost and that you do actually get to look back and enjoy them, because it's so easy to just take a million and ever look back at them. So I think that would be my one practical tip is to, yeah, do all those things as you go, knowing that you won't be able to remember them off the top of your head. And that's kind of another favor for your future self, which comes back to them before. So it all kind of links in. Really, this was just a big babble of like three different things that I extended out into ten. But it was a really really nice occasion for me to sit down and get that all out of my brain, because it just has been a year of not really stopping. I think that's one of the things that if I've lamented anything of not having as much time, it's that I don't really sitdn't consolidate. I just kind of am in the moment. I think I've gone from being really in the worrying that I'm not in the moment and that I'm just jumping from thing to thing to being so in the moment that I don't actually stop and realize that time has passed. I used to sort of stop every month and think what happened this month, what happened to my goals, what would I like to do differently next month? Like I was on top of the time passing and the milestones and the goals and whatever. And I feel like this past year, I've just gone from this day last year to this day this year, and I haven't really stopped and thought about it or really let all the emotions sit and wash over you. I feel like that might sound that might be something that a lot of parents listening resonate with, that it's just a blur and it all goes past and it never really sit and think, oh my God, and let it all catch up with you. And forcing myself to sit down on my birthday and on the morning of my birthday, before I get into the day of just doing normal stuff, to sit down and reflect on how I felt, what I learned, how special it's been, how hard it's been, how beautiful it's been to share, how much I feel like it humbles you, how much I have said goodbye to this former person, but how much I love the person that I've become in her place. All of those things, I think, I'm just really glad that I had the occasion to do that, and again so grateful for a neighborhood that listens and gives me the platform an opportunity to share it with you and to share in it. One of the really nice messages that a lot of you have sent over the last little while is thank you for sharing Teddy with us, and it is I've actually not spoken about it, and to be fair to you guys, you've all been so polite to not really ask about it that much. But it is a really big choice whether you'll share your child on social media and when you have a big, big platform, and coming back to that whole like, do things for your future self and think about future you.
Speaker 2: There will probably come.
Speaker 1: A time where he's a little bit older and his face is changing a lot less quickly, where we might follow in the footsteps of say Steph Smith and start to share him less or once he starts getting recognized at kinder and all that kind of thing. But in this first year where he's changed every five seconds, it was a decision we actively made not to sort of hide his face. And again coming back to that, it has to work for you. It has to feel comfortable for you, and you can't compare to everyone else who's doing different things. And we have a lot of friends who we know through the media, who are in similar jobs with similar platforms, who have chosen not to share their children, and we all just have such respect for each other's decisions. There's sort of no judgment either way. It's got to work for you. But yeah, we just decided that we did want to share him because I just physically couldn not really. I share so much of my life and I wasn't quite sure how I'd have the same relationship I do with social media without sharing that part of my life because it's part of my way of being excited about things. And we also felt we could protect him later on in a different way. But it has been also so lovely that you have continued to be the kindest audience. I don't think I've had a propertrol with nearly one hundred and fifty thousand followers over nearly ten years on social media, and that.
Speaker 2: Is such a credit to all of you guys.
Speaker 1: I feel so incredibly grateful that all you do is celebrate and ask genuine questions and give genuine suggestions, and that you have shared in this journey and embraced it so beautifully. You do kind of worry that you'll drop off the face of the earth and become this person that is over the heel and a marle and that that's daggy and boring. But you've all really really come along on the ride. And I'm so grateful for anyone who's listened this long, because oh my god, I really need to cut myself off. I'm actually glad it's only been half an hour. I think it could have been longer. But thank you for spending the morning of my thirty six birthday with me. Thank you for having done that on my birthday. For the seven years of the podcast, listen to my dear dary episodes, oh my goodness me and I hope you guys have taken something from it, even if not just to reaffirm how I'm hinged I can be when I'm left my own.
Speaker 2: Devices, but really grateful for you all.
Speaker 1: Let me know what you would like to hear in any future episodes of Seize the Baby, or any future solo episodes, or any guests you'd like to hear from. We are in kind of a stage of flux where I'm not really sure. I'm really really enjoying just going. Like I said, going in the moment to moment, but I haven't done any macro planning in a while, so I think that's coming. I think that now I've got a little bit more structure and routine, once we get the sleep under control again, I feel like something's coming. I'm not sure what, but please do send any feedback suggestions, because it really does get taken into account and means a lot that this is a yagihood production. I hope you're having a wonderful week and is seizing your ya