Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mama Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. Hello to all our little builders and their grown ups. Welcome to how to Build a Universe, where stories Build worlds. I'm Jenuer. I'm a parent, educator and mom de four boys, and my co host is well, hang on, my co host is all dripping wet.
Speaker 1: Tom, Why are you SACHERA? Yeah, I'm sopping wet.
Speaker 3: Hello there, Jen, pardon my part whose I was just having a swimming race with some seahorses, but I accidentally got stuck in my wet suit. I'm still trying to pull it down. Can you just yank this bit off me?
Speaker 1: All right? All right, hold on, let me try that hurt.
Speaker 3: But now I'm already actually speaking of underwater friends. I'm so excited about today's episode because we're all going on an incredible underwater adventure together. Yep, We're diving deep beneath the waves where some amazing sea creatures are waiting to meet us. So grab your imaginary snorkel and flippers because this is going to be one splashing good time.
Speaker 2: This is exciting. I'll keep some seaweed sandwiches ready for when you surf.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: You know what's absolutely amazing about the underwater worlds. Every single creature down there is completely unique, and that's what makes the ocean so wonderful. We've got round, puffy puffer fish swimming next to big, long, stretchy eels, and they're all perfect, exactly as they are. We want our kids to be kind and compassionate. We want our kids to be inclusive to all people. We also want our kids to be happy and accepting of their own appearance. One of the ways to help kids accept difference in themselves and others is to make conversations about difference a part of daily life. Play is a beautiful way to explore this, and I think today's episode is a lovely building ground to develop an ongoing conversation about difference. Fish are incredible creatures with complex mental, emotional, and behavioralb blis. We can talk about the unique colors and shapes of fish. Next time we're faced with a question from our inquisitive preschooler about why that person looks different, we can use the metaphor of the ocean to help explain differences in humans.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, take in a deep breath.
Speaker 3: Let's fill those lungs up with air because we're about to dive under in.
Speaker 1: And out. I'll see you right after this. Here we go, A hoy there, a little sea adventurer.
Speaker 3: Sorry, for some reason, I put on a pirate voice when I'm near water.
Speaker 1: Let's try that again. A hoy there, my little adventurer.
Speaker 3: Today we're going on a mystical journey under the sea. Are you ready to explore the amazing underwater world?
Speaker 1: Great? Right now, we're standing on a boat, but.
Speaker 3: We're about to enter part of the ocean known as Harmony Reef. It's home to sea creatures of all shapes and sizes, so who knows.
Speaker 1: We could meet a turtle.
Speaker 3: Down there, or even a shark who we'll see part First, let's practice our underwater swimming.
Speaker 1: Reach both your arms right out in front of you, kind.
Speaker 3: Of like you're trying to fly home on Reaching your hands out, then pull them.
Speaker 1: Through the water to help you glide. That's it. Let's go once more for good measure.
Speaker 3: I know my body can feel a bit tight if I don't warm up.
Speaker 1: Properly, I'd say, mum or Dad's does too? Again? Reach your arms out. That's it and push the water aside. Well done.
Speaker 3: Now can you make a glog glob glob sound like we're making bubbles.
Speaker 1: Let's give it a go. I'll do it with you. Hang on, blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: Can you try it with me? Mom and dad, you two give me your best bubbles? Okay, good bubbles.
Speaker 1: I think we're ready. Let's dive in. I'll count us in together. Front. Three. Here we go, three two one jump.
Speaker 3: Alrighty, we're underwater and lucky. With your scuba mask on, you can breathe down here.
Speaker 1: Look around, my little diver. Isn't this beautiful?
Speaker 3: Oh my, look at this magnificent coral reef.
Speaker 1: It's like an underwater rainbow.
Speaker 3: These corals are purple, yellow, blue, and even orange, soft and squishy. Put your hand out to touch the coral as we swim past.
Speaker 1: That's it. Have a feel of the squishy coral.
Speaker 3: The fish here are amazing too, just like us. Every fish is unique and special in their own way.
Speaker 1: Wait, do you hear that? Let's lean in a bit. Do you hear that beautiful sound?
Speaker 3: Let's swim over and see who's making that marvelous music. Oh, look over there, it's Cora the wise old clam. She's polishing her musical shells. Let's say hello, wave to Cora.
Speaker 1: Everyone.
Speaker 4: Oh, hello there, my little ones. What are delights to have visitors today?
Speaker 1: Of all days, I'm just preparing my shells for the under What a parade? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yes, the Sea Symphony Parade, Just the most wonderful celebration under the sea. Once a year, all the sea creatures come together to create beautiful music and colorful displays.
Speaker 1: Cora, can we join in? Of course, my DearS.
Speaker 4: In fact, I need some help gathering all my performer friends, and I'm having a bit of a problem. My music just doesn't feel right without my special bass Drumshell, it's what gives our symphony that deep rumbling sound.
Speaker 1: It's like the ocean's heartbeat, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Cora?
Speaker 1: What does this sound like? Boom boom, boom boom, just like that?
Speaker 4: Wow, Cora, I was sure I left it right here, but now it's nowhere to be found. Would you keep an ear out for it as we swim deeper to gather the other performers.
Speaker 1: It would make all the difference for our parade. What do you say, my little friend? Shall we help? Cora? Find her bass drumshell to get this party started. Let's do it. Thank you Cora.
Speaker 3: Okay, friends, let's swim deeper into the ocean. Let's kicking behind you. Try not to kick mumble dad machines though.
Speaker 1: Let's give it a go. That's it, excellent kicking, and we're on our way. Oh here's something else. Can you hear that?
Speaker 3: Wow? We look ahead. It's Echo the blogal whale. Let's get his attention. Can you make it sound like a whale. I've got a pretty good grasp.
Speaker 1: On whale language, so i'll go first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, let's hear your whale now. Okay, I think he understood.
Speaker 1: Hellos, small friends, Welcome to my rehearsal space.
Speaker 3: Hello Echo, we're helping Cora gather everyone for the Symphony of the Sea parade.
Speaker 1: Oh, the parade. I've been practicing my sin. Echo. That was stunning.
Speaker 3: Your voice feels like a big, warm hug from the ocean. Will you join us at Cora soon for the parade? Oh?
Speaker 1: I'm so excited. I'll be right bed. Thanks Echo.
Speaker 3: Let's keep swimming, friends. This time we gotta go a little deeper. Can you swim with me like you're a fish gliding along, gliding down into the dark ocean.
Speaker 1: I'm not scared.
Speaker 3: Getting cold down here. Give yourself a big hunk to stay warm. Oh look, there's a tiny light glowing in the darkness. It Spark the angler fish. She may be small, but her light is bright and mighty.
Speaker 5: Now, hello, Spark, Hello explorers. Don't be afraid of the dark. That's where my light shines brightest.
Speaker 1: That's so important, Spark. I couldn't see a thing down here until your light bobbed up.
Speaker 3: Now, Spark, we're gathering friends for the Sea Symphony parade.
Speaker 1: Would you be interested?
Speaker 5: Oh, perfect timing. I'm practicing my parade route. I'll be leading everyone through the darker parts of the ocean. My light helps others find their.
Speaker 1: Way, and we're grateful for that.
Speaker 5: Everyone has their special gift. I may be small, but my light makes a big difference.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: Will you meet us at Cora's parade. We're actually scheduled on very so I.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't miss it.
Speaker 5: I'll bring my brightest glow.
Speaker 1: Great, Spark. What a wonderful collection of underwater creatures we have.
Speaker 3: I can see some puffer fish warm, some dolphins too, And if I'm not mistaken. That's Cora's bass. You hear it just in time for the parade to begin.
Speaker 1: Are you ready? Echo, spark you good?
Speaker 5: I'm ready.
Speaker 1: Okay, hit it, Cora, Here we go. What season?
Speaker 6: That's another song we like to play down here, Okay, take two.
Speaker 1: The sea. I feel so good and so some some can right, that's me.
Speaker 4: We can't together in harm for the under.
Speaker 3: Sing Funny were friends and you can be down.
Speaker 1: I feel so good, and so you're singing very quickly, you know.
Speaker 3: I loved how all the animals in our underwater parade today came together like a big orchestra. In an orchestra, each instrument is different in its shape and size, is shiny or coarse, and they all make different sounds. But when they joined together, well, that music is just magic, and it's a bit like us humans. We all have different voices, but when we join together in harmony, that's when we really make waves.
Speaker 2: I love today's story, Tom, and I loved the idea of using that metaphor of the ocean to really explain different fishing creatures. I loved how all the fish had different ability is and different roles to play as we explored under the sea. Parents can even use this metaphor next time your child notices difference in others or themselves, just light the fish under the ocean. We are all different. Being different is really actually our superpower. Whether you're as spotty as an octopus, as smooth as a dolphin, or as squiggly as a cqucumber, you're absolutely amazing just the way you are.
Speaker 1: Yep. Time to dry yourselves off now and head to the shore. But oh boy, do.
Speaker 3: I have something wild to tell you about Next week. We're swapping our flippers for hiking boots because we're heading into the jungle. There might be a few surprises in their hiding behind the jungle leaves as well.
Speaker 2: I can't wait until then. Remember, stories build universes.
Speaker 3: And your imagination is always ready for an adventure.
Speaker 1: See you next time, builders.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 3: The executive producer of How to Build a Universe is Courtney Amenhauser, who also played Spark the Fish. The voice of Cora is Jessica Bravewait and Echo the Whale was played by Tiana and Isaac's Daddy, with story writing and sound designed by me Tom Lyon. Thanks for listening to today's episode of How to Build a universe.
Speaker 1: We'd love to know what you thought of it.
Speaker 3: You can fill out our survey and go in the running to win one thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: There's a link in the show notes